Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first post-referendum Premiership season ends with teams f

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Why does it look like Sturgeon's podium is lit up, as though she's buzzed in on a game show?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,974
    MikeL said:

dawn21 said:

Have posted on the last thread but will say this again. Is the policy for social care per person or per couple. If you have a couple who own a house worth £190K quite possible outside the south. Do they spilt the value per person so if one person needs social care their assets are less than£100K enabling them to free care In our case if one of us heaven forbid has to go into a home because of dementia instead of the fees kicking in at £23500 it would be £100K I know what I would prefer. Sorry for the double post

A very good question and it may well be nobody knows the answer.

Indeed there may not be an answer (as of now) - because the Con manifesto may not be clear on the issue.

If so, it would be further confirmation of how absurd a situation May has got herself into.
    £100 k per person, not per couple.
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233
    JamesM said:

Preston are, at best, the second team of Lancashire. The mighty clarets have their rightful place at the top of Lancashire football back!

Liverpool? Everton? ManU? City? For a Lancastrian you have surprisingly limited ambitions.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,271
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

There is not a single leader in this debate that is actually standing for these elections.

You'll be overjoyed to hear that Harvie is standing in Glasgow North. I hope your respect for him will now be suitably increased.
    A green standing? That's a novelty.
    I don't see you Tories complaining about UKIP standing a quarter of their 2015 Scottish candidates. Though I suppose it is pretty difficult to distinguish between the two parties now.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,450

West Ham 2 - 1 Burnley

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,395
    MikeL said:

dawn21 said:

Have posted on the last thread but will say this again. Is the policy for social care per person or per couple. If you have a couple who own a house worth £190K quite possible outside the south. Do they spilt the value per person so if one person needs social care their assets are less than£100K enabling them to free care In our case if one of us heaven forbid has to go into a home because of dementia instead of the fees kicking in at £23500 it would be £100K I know what I would prefer. Sorry for the double post

Indeed there may not be an answer (as of now) - because the Con manifesto may not be clear on the issue.

If so, it would be further confirmation of how absurd a situation May has got herself into.
    If a house is in joint names I don't see how the State claims more than half. If it is in the name of the ill party then presumably the £100K limit will apply.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Sean_F said:

MikeL said:

dawn21 said:

It would be stupid if it is charged on the death of one spouse, while the other is still living. How are they going to cough up the money?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Triple Captain Wildcard on Kane worked out all right.
  • Options

RobD said:

DavidL said:

There is not a single leader in this debate that is actually standing for these elections.

You'll be overjoyed to hear that Harvie is standing in Glasgow North. I hope your respect for him will now be suitably increased.
    I don't see you Tories complaining about UKIP standing a quarter of their 2015 Scottish candidates. Though I suppose it is pretty difficult to distinguish between the two parties now.
    UKIP are a busted flush. Same can't be said for the Greens.
  • Options
    Clown_Car_HQClown_Car_HQ Posts: 169
    GIN1138 said:

Anyone have any useful suggestions for what I can do with all these unwanted "Pull Out And Keep Souvenir Guides" for Pippa's bloody wedding that were in the papers today?

I'm using mine to line my bunnies' loo area in their hutch along with some copies of The Standard.
  • Options

West Ham 2 - 1 Burnley

Careful with that font size. One false move and you could knock over the internet.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Sean_F said:

MikeL said:

dawn21 said:

Is that in the policy somewhere? If so why don't they say "200k per couple". Sounds better.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    edited May 2017

Its also dominated by clubs based in Labour constituencies.

So not the best indicator.

Elections are decided in the places lower division clubs play:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/tables

Stamford Bridge is the only Premier League ground in a Tory constituency I think.

EDIT : I suppose Bournemouth and Watford would be as well.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    Sean_F said:

MikeL said:

dawn21 said:

So if the £190k house is in joint names they pay zero for care?

As they both have their own £95k protected?
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Sean_F said:

MikeL said:

dawn21 said:

Is that in the policy somewhere? If so why don't they say "200k per couple". Sounds better.
    A lot better!
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    nielh said:

Im loving the panic attacks from PB tories over the manifesto.
    May is going to win on the promise of statist social democratic economic policies. Your kids inheritance is going to be raided. And - other than Tax exile- you have nowhere to go.

Now you all know how it feels to be in an elite out of touch minority!
    Suck it up!

A bit of recalibration needed, praps. These measures don't hit the rich at all, because anyone who can't fund this sort of expenditure from income or, worse comes to worst, by selling off some financial (i.e. non-house) assets, is by definition not rich - certainly not to the extent of tax exile.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sean_F said:

MikeL said:

dawn21 said:

It would be stupid if it is charged on the death of one spouse, while the other is still living. How are they going to cough up the money?
    The Council will take a charge over the property.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

It would be interesting to know what proportion of people actually undertand what May's social care policy is.

Listening to a few radio news reports today it sounded as if you will only be left with £100k if you need care - ie you would only be allowed to keep £100k irrespective of how much care you need.

It didn't actuially say that if you have a £300k house you would only keep £100k if your care bill is £200k.

The above may sound blindingly obvious to people on here but not necessarily to someone just hearing brief news headlines.

So I suspect the biggest problem for May is that people are now fearing a far, far worse financial outcome than is remotely likely given their own actual circumstances.

And the above is before even considering that the existing position for residential care is even worse - again something most people won't have had a clue about.

Well that's why the Tories shouldn't have touched this (or WFA) in the middle of an election campaign.

People will ALWAYS fear the worst with policies like this. Doesn't matter how much you reassure when it comes to taking things away from people (especially their homes) it's always going to be a nightmare to explain.

They should've just said something "wishy washy" about a royal commission and consultation on the social care crisis with implementation in 18 months and left it that...

I suspect arrogance and complanceny has caused most of this. They thought because their lead is so large and Jezza is LOTO the normal rules of politics don't apply.
    I agree entirely.

Whilst lots of people on here seem to think it's all a great laugh I think it's at least possible that this could get very serious for the Conservatives indeed.

All the talk about Con getting a majority of 100 or 150 and winning seats like Bolsover - well a Con Majority of any kind is now available at 1.11 on Betfair.

We are now in a position where large numbers of people are thinking they may lose the majority of their inheritance and they are going to be scared stiff.

The fact they are completely mistaken - because there is literally almost zero chance of in-home care costs running into hundreds of thousands of pounds - is completely irrelevant.

People have now got it into their heads and once someone thinks something they keep thinking it.
    "Literally zero chance..."? What are the costs per year ?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    Sean_F said:

nielh said:

May is going to win on the promise of statist social democratic economic policies. Your kids inheritance is going to be raided. And - other than Tax exile- you have nowhere to go.

Suck it up!

I've known that for most of my life.

I'd love the UK to push through massive cuts in public spending and tax, and regulation.

But, I accept the British people are entitled to opt for May's soft social democracy, if that's what they prefer.
    Prefer... to what, precisely?
    What plausible alternative have they got?
    It's hard to say they've opted for it when the only options (realisticaly, unless anyone thinks the LDs, SNP, Greens, or whoever can win a majority, in which case I'd line up to lay that bet) are May or Corbyn.
  • Options

RobD said:

DavidL said:

Not one of those candidates will save their deposit. Mind you, you can say the same about the Greens with the possible exception of Edinburgh North and Leith. But we can hope the same applies there.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    nielh said:

Suck it up!

The Tories are raising the threshold for the basic rate and higher rate and Osborne took up to £1 million of assets per estate out of IHT, reducing the subsidy for personal care to those with assets over £100k is hardly social democracy
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Sean_F said:

MikeL said:

dawn21 said:

Indeed - if correct Con have made a massive presentational mistake - on top of the mistakes already discussed over the last couple of days.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

MikeL said:

dawn21 said:

The Council will take a charge over the property.
    Interested to see actually, what type of security interest.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    The Scottish leaders debate is awful, it's just parading all that is awful about politics currently.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Toms said:

My partner, she's raging about Arsenal's fifth place. But at least with Spurs & Crystal Palace they can claim (what's the opposite of provincial ?)ism.

Look on the bright side there still the FA Cup Final and then the Europa League next year where they might even progress beyond the group stage
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

It would be interesting to know what proportion of people actually undertand what May's social care policy is.

Listening to a few radio news reports today it sounded as if you will only be left with £100k if you need care - ie you would only be allowed to keep £100k irrespective of how much care you need.

It didn't actuially say that if you have a £300k house you would only keep £100k if your care bill is £200k.

The above may sound blindingly obvious to people on here but not necessarily to someone just hearing brief news headlines.

So I suspect the biggest problem for May is that people are now fearing a far, far worse financial outcome than is remotely likely given their own actual circumstances.

And the above is before even considering that the existing position for residential care is even worse - again something most people won't have had a clue about.

Well that's why the Tories shouldn't have touched this (or WFA) in the middle of an election campaign.

People will ALWAYS fear the worst with policies like this. Doesn't matter how much you reassure when it comes to taking things away from people (especially their homes) it's always going to be a nightmare to explain.

They should've just said something "wishy washy" about a royal commission and consultation on the social care crisis with implementation in 18 months and left it that...

I suspect arrogance and complanceny has caused most of this. They thought because their lead is so large and Jezza is LOTO the normal rules of politics don't apply.
    I agree entirely.

Whilst lots of people on here seem to think it's all a great laugh I think it's at least possible that this could get very serious for the Conservatives indeed.

All the talk about Con getting a majority of 100 or 150 and winning seats like Bolsover - well a Con Majority of any kind is now available at 1.11 on Betfair.

We are now in a position where large numbers of people are thinking they may lose the majority of their inheritance and they are going to be scared stiff.

The fact they are completely mistaken - because there is literally almost zero chance of in-home care costs running into hundreds of thousands of pounds - is completely irrelevant.

People have now got it into their heads and once someone thinks something they keep thinking it.
    Personal care at home costs £16.70 an hour, residential care £700 a week, nursing care £1000 a week, it is the former where the home is now included in cost calculations, in the latter it already was and the latter will benefit from the rise of assets their estate can keep from £23k a year to £100k
    https://twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/865324948792819712
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    HaroldO said:

The Scottish leaders debate is awful, it's just parading all that is awful about politics currently.

Be thankful they aren't on your ballot paper.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

nielh said:

Suck it up!

I'd love the UK to push through massive cuts in public spending and tax, and regulation.

But, I accept the British people are entitled to opt for May's soft social democracy, if that's what they prefer.
    It's hard to say they've opted for it when the only options (realisticaly, unless anyone thinks the LDs, SNP, Greens, or whoever can win a majority, in which case I'd line up to lay that bet) are May or Corbyn.
    I'd like to believe otherwise, but I don't think the British will vote for a party committed to making the UK the Singapore of Europe. We can maybe get public spending down to a third of GDP, but no lower.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    surbiton said:

MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

I agree entirely.

Well they will obviously vary depending upon how much care you receive.

If you have 24 hour round the clock care then the bill will be huge.

But for a typical person receiving Council care visits of say 30 mins per day the cost will be about £3k per year. One hour per day - £6k per year. Even two hours per day (which would be unusual) - £12k per year.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

nielh said:

Suck it up!

A bit of recalibration needed, praps. These measures don't hit the rich at all, because anyone who can't fund this sort of expenditure from income or, worse comes to worst, by selling off some financial (i.e. non-house) assets, is by definition not rich - certainly not to the extent of tax exile.
    The proposed measures don't hit anyone, as far as I can tell. They just remind them that the current system is "unfair", that the Government is to blame (as usual) and that the manifesto proposals just tinker about with thresholds without actually addressing the problem as viewed from Acacia Avenue. It's a totally unreasonable position so the best way to resolve it would be a referendum.
  • Options

HaroldO said:

Be thankful they aren't on your ballot paper.
    It's the same everywhere though, that is my issue.
  • Options
    The very Rich and the well off Middle classes will pay virtually nothing.

As I wrote sometime today, in the hands of a good tax planner, the combination of good IHT and Social Care planning, they will manage this thing quite well.

Give up the property well ahead of time, as much as 10/20 years, should do it.

Those who are just above the threshold , i.e. the not-so-rich will get hammered.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Has anyone taken a punt on the Tories getting most votes in Scotland?
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    Yes, Chelsea FC is in Fulham, London SW6, borough of Hammersmith & Fulham. Small club in Fulham, is a fairly accurate chant.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    Scottish Greens have a radical right wing policy? (Universal basic income)

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

nielh said:

Suck it up!

I'd like to believe otherwise, but I don't think the British will vote for a party committed to making the UK the Singapore of Europe. We can maybe get public spending down to a third of GDP, but no lower.
    Even spending just a third of GDP would be less than Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the US, Japan and every European nation bar Switzerland and Albania and Macedonia and Georgia spends and is unlikely
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_spending
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

No one sane.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

I agree entirely.

But for a typical person receiving Council care visits of say 30 mins per day the cost will be about £3k per year. One hour per day - £6k per year. Even two hours per day (which would be unusual) - £12k per year.
    At today's prices. Once you have sold your property, future price rises are no good to you.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

nielh said:

Suck it up!

It's unfortunate that you'll never get to see whether or not you're right. Polling only ever gives us "expressed preferences" rather than "revealed preferences" in economist speak (as Labour found out in 1992 when the expressed preferences of "yes, we'll pay more tax for more services" turned into the revealed preferences of "Actually, no we won't" when push came to shove.

We have the choices of Not-Corbyn or Not-May. It's hard to discern much useful real information from that choice.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    AndyJS said:

They've been caught and are receiving appropriate care.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042

JamesM said:

Preston are, at best, the second team of Lancashire. The mighty clarets have their rightful place at the top of Lancashire football back!

Liverpool? Everton? ManU? City? For a Lancastrian you have surprisingly limited ambitions.
    None of them have been in Lancs since the 1960s.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

As I wrote sometime today, in the hands of a good tax planner, the combination of good IHT and Social Care planning, they will manage this thing quite well.

Those who are just above the threshold , i.e. the not-so-rich will get hammered.

Yeah, just hand over the keys to your kids. Where are you going to live? Dodging this stuff isn't as easy as people think.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

I agree entirely.

You could argue that doing it when you're averaging about 46% in the polls is the best time to do it.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Which election ?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    surbiton said:

I don't know what you mean.

The rich will pay the cost of care. Certainly they are better able to finance this from liquid assets, like cash, shares, and pensions. So this change is largely irrelevant for them.

For everyone else it's that balance between paying more for care if you own your own home o the one hand with the protection from needing to sell it on the other.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Three days later and we are still talking about the dementia tax, and WFA.

This is BAD.

We are nerds dude, political nerds.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

It would be more accurate to say the rich and well off will pay, but they have sufficient means to pay it out of income, not capital.

One would have to be a fool to give away one's principal assets, just to avoid a charge.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MikeL said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

I agree entirely.

At today's prices. Once you have sold your property, future price rises are no good to you.
    Why would you sell your property?

The in-home care costs are only paid after death.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    edited May 2017
    SeanT said:

This is BAD.

And it apppears it was done without briefing the cabinet and the Downing Street policy chief advised against it. May puts far too much trust in Timothy and Hill and they don't seem up to it.

https://www.ft.com/content/a939409e-3e21-11e7-82b6-896b95f30f58
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    surbiton said:

Same could be said for IHT, yet no one talks about binning it
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    SeanT said:

This is BAD.

Any decent con party would by now have the media eye's on the labour manifesto pledges.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    SeanT said:

This is BAD.

We ?? maybe, (I am not)... but are the voters? Anecdotal evidence on here suggests not.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

JamesM said:

None of them have been in Lancs since the 1960s.
    It's longer ago that that if you think Lancashire is defined by local government boundaries because Liverpool and Manchester were county boroughs since 1889. But they didn't deny being in Lancashire. The County Palatine goes back into the mists of time.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

Yeah, just hand over the keys to your kids. Where are you going to live? Dodging this stuff isn't as easy as people think.
    Stay in the house and rent it back from them
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    JackW said:

AndyJS said:

But had to sell their house to pay for it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

I agree entirely.

Personal care at home costs £16.70 an hour, residential care £700 a week, nursing care £1000 a week, it is the former where the home is now included in cost calculations, in the latter it already was and the latter will benefit from the rise of assets their estate can keep from £23k a year to £100k
    Let me put myself up as a nasty Tax planner.

1. I pass on my property to my child [ children ] after taking out a modest mortgage.

2. I rent the house back from my children [ sales and leaseback, anyone ]. Use the money from the mortgage to do so plus my pensions.

3. The children pay off the mortgage from the rent received.

4. Years later, if needed, I go into a care home.

Where are the faults in this plan ? There must be some. I have not encountered this yet, so not very knowledgeable.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

This is BAD.

But the manifestos of the other parties are gesture politics this time out. The Social Care proposals are important because the next government will implement either this proposal or something similar. Of course it gets more attention.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

Yeah, there is no law for minimum rent, is there?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

With what money? You can easily end up being done for fraud if it's money from your kids.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

I agree entirely.

Doesn't this exacerbate the "housing crisis". Granny's three-bedroom house lies empty for 10 years while she wastes away in a "home".
  • Options
    OUT said:

JackW said:

AndyJS said:

Serves them right. You'd have to be demented to bet the house on SCON winning the popular vote in Scotland.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

I agree entirely.

1. I pass on my property to my child [ children ] after taking out a modest mortgage.

2. I rent the house back from my children [ sales and leaseback, anyone ]. Use the money from the mortgage to do so plus my pensions.

Where are the faults in this plan ? There must be some. I have not encountered this yet, so not very knowledgeable.
    No problems. You can do the same to avoid IHT. Defeats the whole point of it though..
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    HaroldO said:

Wash tour mouth out with soap. You're supposed to be drooling over Ruth the mooth
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited May 2017
    surbiton said:

This is complete nonsense.

Go to a care home, see if you can get a Council funded place, then come back and tell us what you find. Tell us what the care home is like.

If you have divested yourself of all your assets, you’ll be getting a very basic place at a pretty indifferent care home, or worse.

When you read stories of care home assistants taunting and making fun of the residents, do you think this is well-off people suffering such abuse in a shitty home ?

http://tinyurl.com/kuqsdxa

It is not. It is people who have Council funded places.

No-one who is rich or well-off is going to permit this happening to them by divesting themselves of all their assets.

You should stop posting on this issue as you seem to know f-all about it.
  • Options
    JMBJMB Posts: 7
    Hi all, long time lurker but have to share that Betsafe have Labour vote share 35-40% at 25-1, compared to betfair which can be laid at 6.4 if anyone interested. Personally doubt they will get 35% plus but who knows at the moment!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited May 2017
    Kezia Dugdale seems like a very nice lady, but God is she a poor debater.

Sturgeon still head and shoulders above the rest, but she does seem to get flustered and irritated a bit more quickly than she did back in 2015.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Just watching the Three Girls dramatisation on BBC iplayer.

Unforgiveable behaviour from the authorities.
  • Options
    Welcome @JMB!
  • Options
    MikeL said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

I agree entirely.

So, if you live many years, the maximum inheritance for your children is £100k, am I right ?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

With what money? You can easily end up being done for fraud if it's money from your kids.
    If you are sensible and your assets are well over the £100k threshold you will downsize in your mid seventies to say a flat or bungalow and give the assets released from the sale of the family home to your children if you really want them to have a sizeable inheritance and are concerned that will not happen if you get dementia and have to pay social care costs
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited May 2017
    OUT said:

JackW said:

AndyJS said:

Actually their house was seized and sold by the government to pay for it...
  • Options
    It's very dangerous giving large amounts, let alone your home, to kids well before you die.

Kid gets divorced - kid's spouse takes 50%.

Result: 50% of "your" assets gone.

Not good and even worse if it's your home.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

Osborne did effectively bin IHT for everyone with assets under £1 million last April
  • Options

SeanT said:

This is BAD.

We ?? maybe, (I am not)... but are the voters? Anecdotal evidence on here suggests not.
    As I said, it is 9th most read thing on BBC, less interesting than "Jogging Trudeau photobombs prom picture" at 7 and "Whales die off coast of East Anglia" at 8 and MUCH less interesting than Jezza the terrorist at no. 1. Arlene Foster is having a go at him in a speech in London tomorrow.

The Fightback Starts Here.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MikeL said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

I agree entirely.

So, if you live many years, the maximum inheritance for your children is £100k, am I right ?
    Yes, but surely that's at the top end of the spectrum?
  • Options
    JackW said:

AndyJS said:

Jack, we need regional polls, badly !
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Osborne did effectively bin IHT for everyone with assets under £1 million last April
    Fair point. Why not abolish it entirely, given how easy it is to avoid?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

If that were a PB rule we'd have half the posts. Maybe.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

JackW said:

AndyJS said:

There's a new YouGov from Wales due tomorrow, if you can contain your excitement :D
  • Options
    surbiton said:

No, that is only so if your non-house assets and the equity in your house over £100 000 are less than the total care fees. £100k is a minimum not a maximum.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

JackW said:

AndyJS said:

Welsh poll tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

SeanT said:

This is BAD.

As I said, it is 9th most read thing on BBC, less interesting than "Jogging Trudeau photobombs prom picture" at 7 and "Whales die off coast of East Anglia" at 8 and MUCH less interesting than Jezza the terrorist at no. 1. Arlene Foster is having a go at him in a speech in London tomorrow.

Arlene Foster ? DUP ? For God's sake. She , the one, whose capability in maths is even lower than Abbott's. Gave away £0.5bn in a tiny province.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

People will ALWAYS fear the worst with policies like this. Doesn't matter how much you reassure don't apply.
    I agree entirely.

The main flaw (to my mind) is that you lose what is yours. When you go into a care home, the local authority will look for the cheapest option; you'll have no say in it. Your children will have no legal obligation to assist you (although, they may choose to). You lose your independence, and become dependent on the goodwill of others.

If you think that your heirs will never betray you, I could show you some of my files.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Have posted before but the £1m only comes in from 2020.

It's £850k today, £900k from April 2018, £950k from April 2019, £1m from April 2020.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,352
    JMB said:

Hi all, long time lurker but have to share that Betsafe have Labour vote share 35-40% at 25-1, compared to betfair which can be laid at 6.4 if anyone interested. Personally doubt they will get 35% plus but who knows at the moment!

Here is a fairly typical review of Betsafe:

"I was scammed into their free "10 …

I was scammed into their free "10 bonus" offer. After depositing £10 - I then happily proceeding betting and turned my £10 into roughly £150.

After not being able to cash out, I was then told by an advisor i had to bet an incredible £1000!! before I could reach the 'bonus limit' and cash out.

Horrendous scam - avoid this site at all costs. If that isn't encouraging a gambling addiction I don't know what is."
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HaroldO said:

SeanT said:

This is BAD.

It's the main UK headline in the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/21/theresa-may-under-pressure-over-dementia-tax-social-care-shakeup

and the main political headline on the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

Tories should either announce a "calibration" which is actually a U-turn, or throw the world's biggest cat on the table. Now. Do it now. Every hour this story continues, more people hear about it, and more damage is done.
    The main BBC headline is Trump telling Muslims to drive extremists out, though there is a story on Damian Green saying £100 000 'is a reasonable inheritance to have'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/0
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

If that were a PB rule we'd have half the posts. Maybe.
    Fair point.

I think for the social care thread, half is an overestimate. Probably one per cent.
  • Options
    There's simply no getting away from it .... the Dementia Tax is grossly unfair, firstly because it is directed against one particular segment of society, namely those who are unfortunate to die, often slowly and therefore in an expensive way requiring considerable care. Secondly it is targeted not at the rich, no not by any means means. Instead it is targeted at those very ordinary men and women with modest homes, modest incomes and modest savings.
    Speaking a a Tory, it simply won't do and must be withdrawn forthwith even if this causes massive embarrassment to the Tory Party's hierarchy in the middle of a general Election campaign. If further massive amounts of tax are required, for that's what we are talking about here, then far fairer and more equitable to introduce a higher band of Inheritance tax, perhaps two higher bands, one for the moderately rich, say with estates worth > £2.5M and another for estates of > £7.5m or more, whilst at the same exempting from IHT estates worth < £0.5M.
  • Options
    JMB said:

And always worth remembering to knock 0.8 pp or so off the GB polls to get a UK figure.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    JMB said:

Great spot.

But is betsafe, err, safe?

https://www.sportsbookreview.com/betting-sites/betsafe/

Have any PB punters had good/bad experiences with them?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Ishmael_Z said:

SeanT said:

This is BAD.

Arlene Foster ? DUP ? For God's sake. She , the one, whose knowledge of maths is even lower than Abbott's. Gave away £0.5bn in a tiny province.
    I am sure she can count to 6, the number of times the Jezziah refused to condemn the IRA today.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

Well that's why the Tories shouldn't have touched this (or WFA) in the middle of

I agree entirely.

No problems. You can do the same to avoid IHT. Defeats the whole point of it though..
    If your kid splits with partner half your house goes
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    SeanT said:

HaroldO said:

SeanT said:

This is BAD.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/21/theresa-may-under-pressure-over-dementia-tax-social-care-shakeup

Tories should either announce a "calibration" which is actually a U-turn, or throw the world's biggest cat on the table. Now. Do it now. Every hour this story continues, more people hear about it, and more damage is done.
    Half the problem is bedwetters like you endlessly dredging it up when the public's interest is less than fulsome, as shown by the most read rankings on the BBC.

The BBC and the Guardian choosing headlines the Tories wouldn't? I'm shocked, truly shocked.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

SeanT said:

This is BAD.

And it apppears it was done without briefing the cabinet and the Downing Street policy chief advised against it. May puts far too much trust in Timothy and Hill and they don't seem up to it.

https://www.ft.com/content/a939409e-3e21-11e7-82b6-896b95f30f58
    Nick Timothy's a very Thick of It character, isn't he.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

People will ALWAYS fear the worst with policies like this. Doesn't matter how much you reassure don't apply.
    I agree entirely.

The main flaw (to my mind) is that you lose what is yours. When you go into a care home, the local authority will look for the cheapest option; you'll have no say in it. Your children will have no legal obligation to assist you (although, they may choose to). You lose your independence, and become dependent on the goodwill of others.

If you think that your heirs will never betray you, I could show you some of my files.
    A child gets married, then divorced, and the ex comes after the asset.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,822
    RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

HaroldO said:

SeanT said:

This is BAD.

Half the problem is bedwetters like you endlessly dredging it up when the public's interest is less than fulsome, as shown by the most read rankings on the BBC.

Since when was expressing opinions a 'problem' ?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

This is BAD.

Will you still be saying this if the next poll puts the Tories on 46%?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

surbiton said:

No, that is only so if your non-house assets and the equity in your house over £100 000 are less than the total care fees. £100k is a minimum not a maximum.
    My point was living many years, i.e. , having exhausted all non-house assets.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

I agree entirely.

The mortgage would need to be paid off before the care assessment begins
This discussion has been closed.