Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Philip Hammond looks as though he’s for the chop following the

Comments

• Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    SeanT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Nigelb said:

Why that briefest of GIFs in the thread header ?
    The video of the question gives quite a different impression;
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39948296

What I see is a PM who is not remarkably quick on her feet sticking relentlessly to her election talking points.

Second this, I don't understand why that GIF even exists, ways to put moving stuff on teh interweb have moved on since the mid 1990s. The actual footage shows pretty warm body language, esp given that neither participant is a natural at it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39948296
    Agreed. I've just watched the whole thing, instead of the reports and Gifs, and I have changed my mind. They're both quite stiff characters, anyway, and in that light they seem to have a certain rapport.

David Herdson's analysis is superior, and surely correct. TMay was just doing her usual stone-walling, poker-faced shtick. She doesn't want a series of questions about this or that minister's future, so she just says nothing, until the journos get bored.

Hammond is staying.
    I have to agree. The only notable thing about the (real) clip was the typically self-important grandstanding from the ever-irritating Laura K. This is a non-story to end all non-stories.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017
    The UK's Buy To Let mortgage market has slumped by 50% following the April 2016 tax increase.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39947296
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,957
    PaulM said:

Mortimer said:

Ack.

Just remembered I tipped Matt Hancock as next Chancellor after Osborne in a thread header.

Not such a daft guess, he once worked as an economist at the Bank of England.
    Overpromoted much too soon - minor minister/pps yes, cabinet level, gosh no.
    How about Sajid Javid. He was an investment banker
    Better than Hancock - but I'd rather SuperPhil any day. IMHO he should have got it in 2012 after the omnishambles.

After Phil, Fallon would be my pick.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,991
    Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

Wherefore art thou, MORI??

I'm having to watch Barry 'Patronising' Gardiner on DP instead of obsessing about a poll....

That was extraordinary!

What are the numbers for your nationalisation program?

We are not going to just buy them at market value. We are going to destroy the market value first, so they will be cheaper...
    So, a putative Labour government would greatly increase individual and corporate taxation, and mount a raid on largely foreign owned assets.
    Sounds like a wonderful strategy for encouraging post Brexit economic activity.... anywhere else but here.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Scott_P said:

He said the market value of the National Grid is a combination of the plant assets, and the license to operate them. Labour would split them, so the grid could be left with deteriorating plant and no license to generate revenue...

I think I detect a tiny little flaw in that cunning plan: the nationalised utility would have a license to distribute the nation's electricity, but no cables or sub-stations to distribute it through.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    JackW said:

felix said:

Good to see the LD Manifesto is featuring so prominently everywhere today. I wonder when they'll publish the bits on abortion and gay sex...

Any time in the next 24 weeks ....
    Wasn't there a movie 24 and a half weeks?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    SeanT said:

It would a silly mistake to sack him. And she should have backed him, now.

First unforced election error by the Tories.

Did you miss the humiliating climbdown on NI rises after the budget ?

Given the upcoming election it was a terrible unforced error.

One could write an essay on his achievements as CoTE on the back of a postage stamp.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    SeanT said:

Agreed. I've just watched the whole thing, instead of the reports and Gifs, and I have changed my mind. They're both quite stiff characters, anyway, and in that light they seem to have a certain rapport.

David Herdson's analysis is superior, and surely correct. TMay was just doing her usual stone-walling, poker-faced shtick. She doesn't want a series of questions about this or that minister's future, so she just says nothing, until the journos get bored.

Hammond is staying.

Quite possibly - this is exactly the sort of hypothetical speculation that politicians always struggle with ("Will you resign if you lose?" "What will you do if Trump attacks Belgium?"). The main point, though, is that whatever it was they were trying to say has been allowed to be swamped by the speculation. If that was the Tory campaign getting into gear, it's a bit weak.
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Reading the runes the cabinet ministers most at risk on June 9th are Jeremy Hunt, Justine Greening, Liz Truss, and Liam Fox.

Leadsom. Unless there is another "promotion" that amounts to punishment...
    She'd make a fine Northern Ireland Secretary.
    Does the NI secretary still have to put up with PM-levels of security while in office and for years afterwards, or did they dial that back a bit in recent - more peaceful - times?
    Nope they have lifetime security/protection.

As that report in The Sunday Times said last year, according to MI5 we're more at risk of terrorism from dissident Irish republicans than from Islamist terrorism.

Because the former have more stocks/access to bombs, Semtex, and weapons than the latter.
    Let's put Leadsom at NI then, it will annoy the hell out of her. ;)

I thought Theresa Villiers was a good NI secretary and appeared to be well respected by the NI MPs. I'm not sure why she lost this post.

• Options
    A testament to how incredibly DULL this election is that we have a PB thread about a facial expression on a GIF from a incredibly DULL PM and incredibly DULL Chancellor. Someone shake things up. PLEASE. Arthur Scargill defect to Ukip and take on Dennis Skinner in Bolsover or something. ANYTHING.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,210
    Scott_P said:

You want tapes? Ve have tapes...

@AFP: #BREAKING Putin 'ready to provide recording' of Lavrov-Trump exchange

If he had recordings of Trump-Comey, that would be a story...
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    BBC - The Liberal Democrats have put a second EU referendum at the heart of their general election manifesto, saying it would "give the final say to the British people". - The vote on the final Brexit deal would include an option to remain in the EU.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39942573
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,737
    bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Nigelb said:

What I see is a PM who is not remarkably quick on her feet sticking relentlessly to her election talking points.

Second this, I don't understand why that GIF even exists, ways to put moving stuff on teh interweb have moved on since the mid 1990s. The actual footage shows pretty warm body language, esp given that neither participant is a natural at it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39948296

Hammond is staying.
    I have to agree. The only notable thing about the (real) clip was the typically self-important grandstanding from the ever-irritating Laura K. This is a non-story to end all non-stories.
    We'll soon know, but I wouldn't be surprised by a reshuffle in which he's moved.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Nigelb said:

Hammond is staying.
    "the typically self-important grandstanding from the ever-irritating Laura K..."

You're more of a fan of the "Prime Minister, have you a message which you would like to share with the nation" approach then ?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Reading the runes the cabinet ministers most at risk on June 9th are Jeremy Hunt, Justine Greening, Liz Truss, and Liam Fox.

Leadsom. Unless there is another "promotion" that amounts to punishment...
    She'd make a fine Northern Ireland Secretary.
    Does the NI secretary still have to put up with PM-levels of security while in office and for years afterwards, or did they dial that back a bit in recent - more peaceful - times?
    Nope they have lifetime security/protection.

As that report in The Sunday Times said last year, according to MI5 we're more at risk of terrorism from dissident Irish republicans than from Islamist terrorism.

Because the former have more stocks/access to bombs, Semtex, and weapons than the latter.
    Let's put Leadsom at NI then, it will annoy the hell out of her. ;)
    I thought Theresa Villiers was a good NI secretary and appeared to be well respected by the NI MPs. I'm not sure why she lost this post.
    Her insouciance about the impact of Brexit on NI can't have helped.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Second.

First was fox hunting
    Nah. After all the horrible interventionist leftwing crap (needed to win over Labour waverers) she had to throw some symbolic red meat to the backbench bloodhounds. Foxhunting was it. It's unlikely to pass.

Blair of course did the same, but in reverse.

I doubt it will change more than a few thousand votes. Passionate anti-hunters, the kind of voter where this cause trumps any other consideration, are a very small minority, and most unlikely to vote Tory.
    It won't change any votes, but if they actually try to repeal the ban then it could cause all sorts of trouble. It's an issue with a small but extremely vocal minority of very active opponents, and a public that currently is pretty calm about it all but remains largely opposed on the whole. Potential for it to tarnish May's popularity, and it doesn't really fit with her Mother of the Nation image. Could suck up much oxygen from the next parliament if so.
    Agreed. She'll need to punt it into the long grass.

Alternatively, she might decide that the Commons is against hunting, given the expected new intake of urban, younger Tory MPs (much less likely to be pro-hunting than the old toffs in the shires), and give a Free Vote, happy in the expectation it will lose.

Then she'll have showed that sticks to her guns, without losing support in the country....

It all depends on the political complexion of the new MPs.
    Yeah, a great many Tories are anti–hunting, many are in fact full-blown animal rights types. The fox hunting thing will just disappear, any which way.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Very balanced and grown-up "campaign round-up" here; 45 seconds of its two minutes devoted to a Super Mario Tory Party game, and a "mash-up" of Theresa May. They do manage to show Abbott doing her Shadow Ho-de-Home secretary act, but don't mention her getting lost or jeered at.

https://twitter.com/daily_politics/status/864807880821571584
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,737
    tlg86 said:

Can anyone name the railway station shown on Page 39 of the Lib Dem manifesto?

Is there a prize?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Nigelb said:

Hammond is staying.
    "the typically self-important grandstanding from the ever-irritating Laura K..."

You're more of a fan of the "Prime Minister, have you a message which you would like to share with the nation" approach then ?
    No. I'm more a fan of journalists asking proper questions that lead to insight. Laura K loves the sound of her own syntax.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,957
    chestnut said:

The UK's Buy To Let mortgage market has slumped by 50% following the April 2016 tax increase.

Good.

Fewer baby boomers taking dabbling in the rental market.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658

JackW said:

I think people are reading too much into Mrs May's comments.

Would be a mistake if she did sack him though.

I think people forget Cameron and Osborne getting on well was the exception not the norm between The First and Second Lords of the Treasury.

Yes -- ironically as a result of official CCHQ spin about how Blair and Brown were the first and only Downing Street neighbours to disagree on whether the milk or tea goes in first.
    Nah, Brown was unlike any other Chancellor when it came to undermining his Prime Minister.
    You must not remember the Thatcher years, or the Heath years, or the Macmillan years. Oh, for the innocence of youth.
    You must recall that TSE considers Osborne to be the greatest Chancellor in his lifetime.

Who knew TSE was born in 2010 ? .... A boy genius to match a genius of a Chancellor .... :smiley:
    Nah the greatest Chancellor of my lifetime was Ken Clarke.

Said so on the previous thread.
    KenC gets right up my left nostril but I agree with that.

• Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    edited May 2017
    Have any of our East Mids correspondents got a view on Gedling constituency
    ? Seems an easy Tory gain on nat trends but then Coaker held on last time whereas neighbouring Broxtowe and similar suburban seats fell (sorry Nick)
    I can't decide whether 1/3 for the Cons is value, or whether he has some personal appeal there and might keep it close. There's barely any UKIP there - straight up Lab Con race
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCPhilipSim: Labour SEC: "Any cllr who does not stand down from this multi-party arrangement will be in breach of party rules an… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/864817836375625728
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

BBC - The Liberal Democrats have put a second EU referendum at the heart of their general election manifesto, saying it would "give the final say to the British people". - The vote on the final Brexit deal would include an option to remain in the EU.

If they only get a handful of MPs on June 8th, will they finally shut the fuck up about a second referendum and accept the result?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Great picture of a sheep on page 54 of the Lib Dem manifesto.

She knows her pasture will be under threat from fracking if the Tories win :(

Reading the intro it sounds like Farron's message to the troops is "Go back to your constituencies and prepare to save your deposits."
    I think there may be a connection with their plan to legalise cannabis and putting the sheep out to grass. Not forgetting that Farron is the archetypical dope.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    Scott_P said:

This could also be fun

@HTScotPol: Labour councillors defy party to lead Aberdeen with the Tories http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15291055.Labour_councillors_defy_party_to_lead_Aberdeen_with_the_Tories/?ref=twtrec

@JamieRoss7: Dugdale says she will take forward disciplinary action against the Aberdeen Labour group if they enter coalition with the Conservatives.

It's disgraceful. SCON, SLAB, SLD, SNP, none of these are unconscionable parties (though there will be individuals within them who are) - it should not be official policy of any party that you cannot set national politics aside for the good of the local community if the numbers mean you have to work together sometimes, and it seems with the scottish system agreements between groups is necessary. By all means don't encourage it, suggest working with others is preferable, but do not locals know what is best for their areas?
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    felix said:

Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

I'm having to watch Barry 'Patronising' Gardiner on DP instead of obsessing about a poll....

That was extraordinary!

We are not going to just buy them at market value. We are going to destroy the market value first, so they will be cheaper...
    Golly - did he really say that?
    Ok, that's my pension fund you're talking about, you thieving Marxist buggers. You want me reduced to living on welfare? Oh.

• Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Scott_P said:

@BBCPhilipSim: Labour SEC: "Any cllr who does not stand down from this multi-party arrangement will be in breach of party rules an… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/864817836375625728

Popcorn time !
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    edited May 2017
    Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

That was extraordinary!

Which is why I'm absolutely sure that Corbyn and Mcdonell were leavers to the core. There's not a cat in hell's chance they could carry out this kind of programme inside the single market. Not a chance.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Nigelb said:

Hammond is staying.
    Correct - although I am struggling with the concept of agreeing with you :)
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Nigelb said:

Hammond is staying.
    We'll soon know, but I wouldn't be surprised by a reshuffle in which he's moved.
    Hammond is for the chop, (moving sideways?) anyway. As a Chancellor Hammond makes a poor poker player.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Can anyone name the railway station shown on Page 39 of the Lib Dem manifesto?

A question for @Sunil when he is next on here
  • Options

SeanT said:

Hammond is staying.

Quite possibly - this is exactly the sort of hypothetical speculation that politicians always struggle with ("Will you resign if you lose?" "What will you do if Trump attacks Belgium?"). The main point, though, is that whatever it was they were trying to say has been allowed to be swamped by the speculation. If that was the Tory campaign getting into gear, it's a bit weak.
    Especially when they are so far behind in the polling............
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Reading the intro it sounds like Farron's message to the troops is "Go back to your constituencies and prepare to save your deposits."
    It should be that they need to laser focus on say 50 seats and good luck to everyone fighting the good fight with limit resources in the rest. Some current LD survivors look goners, remarkably, other gains look pretty questionable in the face of their flatlining, but they have a large membership now, they need to flood their key areas, even at the risk of irritation, so it doesn't just end up with the 4(5) seats that are probably safe (even they are not 100%).

Westmoreland
    Ceredigion
    Orkney
    Sheffield Hallam
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Nigelb said:

David Herdson's analysis is superior, and surely correct. TMay was just doing her usual stone-walling, poker-faced shtick. She doesn't want a series of questions about this or that minister's future, so she just says nothing, until the journos get bored....
    Contrast with the hapless Lib approach to dealing with Farron's biblical beliefs.
    Their national campaigning skills are rotten, and they really ought to ditch the homunculus.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Off topic but Witcher fans it looks like Netflix is going to do a Witcher series!

The gorgeous Eva Green as Yennefer as Vengerberg! Please! That would be the perfect casting!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    Piece on BBC news just now on the Non-Progressive Alliance between Con and UKIP...
  • Options

If they only get a handful of MPs on June 8th, will they finally shut the fuck up about a second referendum and accept the result?
    Possibly not – but would anyone hear them…?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    calum said:

Scott_P said:

Popcorn time !
    I wonder if any Labour Cllrs will quit the party for cabinet posts!
  • Options
    PeterMannionPeterMannion Posts: 712

Only if you STFU about everything (and if we cease to live in a free country)
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,301
    bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Second.

First was fox hunting
    Nah. After all the horrible interventionist leftwing crap (needed to win over Labour waverers) she had to throw some symbolic red meat to the backbench bloodhounds. Foxhunting was it. It's unlikely to pass.

I doubt it will change more than a few thousand votes. Passionate anti-hunters, the kind of voter where this cause trumps any other consideration, are a very small minority, and most unlikely to vote Tory.
    It won't change any votes, but if they actually try to repeal the ban then it could cause all sorts of trouble. It's an issue with a small but extremely vocal minority of very active opponents, and a public that currently is pretty calm about it all but remains largely opposed on the whole. Potential for it to tarnish May's popularity, and it doesn't really fit with her Mother of the Nation image. Could suck up much oxygen from the next parliament if so.

Alternatively, she might decide that the Commons is against hunting, given the expected new intake of urban, younger Tory MPs (much less likely to be pro-hunting than the old toffs in the shires), and give a Free Vote, happy in the expectation it will lose.

Then she'll have showed that sticks to her guns, without losing support in the country....

Yeah, a great many Tories are anti–hunting, many are in fact full-blown animal rights types. The fox hunting thing will just disappear, any which way.
    Not least because most hunters seem in practice quite content to "work within the law" (ie carry on as before, knowing Plod has better things to do and would struggle to prove a case to the CPS's/jury's satisfaction when foxes "accidentally" get killed).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

It should be that they need to laser focus on say 50 seats and good luck to everyone fighting the good fight with limit resources in the rest. Some current LD survivors look goners, remarkably, other gains look pretty questionable in the face of their flatlining, but they have a large membership now, they need to flood their key areas, even at the risk of irritation, so it doesn't just end up with the 4(5) seats that are probably safe (even they are not 100%).

Westmoreland
    Ceredigion
    Orkney
    Sheffield Hallam
    The LibDems reduced to just the liar from Orkney would be funny beyond belief....
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

No Clegg will survive and be like that annoying stone in your shoe that you cant get out...totally irritating
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Off topic but Witcher fans it looks like Netflix is going to do a Witcher series!

The gorgeous Eva Green as Yennefer as Vengerberg! Please! That would be the perfect casting!

But then we'd have to wait til like Season 3 or something
  • Options
    felix said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Nigelb said:

Hammond is staying.
    We agreed many times during the european referendum!
  • Options
    PeterMannionPeterMannion Posts: 712
    PaulM said:

? Seems an easy Tory gain on nat trends but then Coaker held on last time whereas neighbouring Broxtowe and similar suburban seats fell (sorry Nick)
    I can't decide whether 1/3 for the Cons is value, or whether he has some personal appeal there and might keep it close. There's barely any UKIP there - straight up Lab Con race

I grew up in that seat.

He does have some personal appeal, but the Corbyn factor will mean it votes Tory for first time since 1992 IMO.

Plus there was nearly 15% UKIP last time, if I'm not mistaken - easily enough to put the Tories over the top?
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Nigelb said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Nigelb said:

Hammond is staying.

No. I'm more a fan of journalists asking proper questions that lead to insight. Laura K loves the sound of her own syntax.
    She's no Brillo, but irritating is far preferable to complaisant in a political journalist. Particularly when covering such a dull affair.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

May does not like:
    1. People who question her.
    2. Anyone the anti-European press does not like.

On that basis, Hammond is surely toast. Gove passes test 2, he fails test 1. So Hammond will be replaced by a nodding Brexiteer - or someone who can pretend to be one. The quality of the cabinet will fall even further.

Can I ask, who would you want her to appoint to make the quality rise?
  • Options
    MikeK said:
    Do Dems4Trump occupy the same display cabinet as the world's smallest violin ?
  • Options

I can't see that moving the 52% but with enough of an airing it might pull a few per cent out of the Corbyn column.

No wonder some of his opponents have been dredging up all the old abortion/gay sex type stories to discredit him.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    edited May 2017
    Presumably May will largely leave ministers in place given most have barely had time to fully settle in yet. You read the odd piece e.g the ineptness of Andrea Leadsom at the dispatch box in the Guardian but the question always is whether this is a leftie journo playing revenge politics with a despised brexiteer or whether they're on to anything . Hunt maybe is perhaps someone who perhaps wouldn't mind being moved given the continued visceral hostility to him by some in the medical profession (as seen in recent days). A promotion to CoE might be pushing it a bit
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,645
    kle4 said:

jonny83 said:

Not if it's based on the books, she's in it from the first one.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Norm said:

Presumably May will largely leave ministers in place given most have barely had time to fully settle in yet.

Alternately since they've been treading water since the Brexti vote, a good time to move people and get in the long term team she wants, when she wasn't quite ready to entirely turf some out before.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,663
    edited May 2017
    nunu said:

May does not like:

On that basis, Hammond is surely toast. Gove passes test 2, he fails test 1. So Hammond will be replaced by a nodding Brexiteer - or someone who can pretend to be one. The quality of the cabinet will fall even further.

If it were up to me, if he's elected, Aaron Bell would make a fine Chancellor.

He's good with numbers/stats, what more do you want in a Chancellor?

Plus he's a fab tipster, I'd be happy with him betting some of government's cash with the bookies for a very decent return.

The deficit and debt would be wiped out in no time.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

jonny83 said:

I see. I do own the first book, but not read it yet - I understand the games a basically fanfiction of their favorite character?
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    notme said:

Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

That was extraordinary!

Which is why I'm absolutely sure that Corbyn and Mcdonell were leavers to the core. There's not a cat in hell's chance they could carry out this kind of programme inside the single market. Not a chance.
    In 1975 all the Labour left and most of its centre considered the EU to be 'a capitalist club'.

Yes, I'm almost 100% sure that their views haven't changed and they both voted to Leave.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    kle4 said:

jonny83 said:

Yeah, I guess it depends how close they want to stick to the books (the first two were short stories right?) and how much of a time-frame they want to cover with each season I guess.

Sounds promising though, the Witcher universe has some amazing characters in it and a great setting overall. The casting will be key, they have to get Geralt right or it will fail straight away.
  • Options
    FPT, Politico lays out the hypothetical case against Trump (and explains why impeachment is the only route to take proceedings against him):
    http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/05/17/did-trump-obstruct-justice-215147?lo=ap_b1
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,453
    Geoffrey Howe and Nigel Lawson were 2 of the most intellectually gifted Chancellors of modern times, both in their different ways the creators of what we now call Thatcherism. Spread sheet Phil is absolutely nowhere near their level. At best he is a safe pair of hands but if you have that role you should not make silly mistakes.

But I think people are failing to recognise how extraordinarily close and congenial the relationship between Dave and George was. This seems to me no more than a reversion to a more normal kind of relationship. I suspect behind the scenes he has been arguing against financial commitments that she wants to make and she is not happy about it. That is a Chancellor's job in large part. I wouldn't read too much into it.
  • Options
    timmo said:

No Clegg will survive and be like that annoying stone in your shoe that you cant get out...totally irritating
    Must admit I always liked Clegg and have no problem with MPs who have strong convictions different from my own. Clegg was one of the few sane MPs amongst the Cable, Huhnes’ etc.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Not being funny but why is "Lib Dems make EU referendum pledge" leading the BBC News on the website? How is that news? They've been banging on about it for nearly a year now.

That's like saying "PM pledges to take the UK out of the EU" is news.
  • Options

Not being funny but why is "Lib Dems make EU referendum pledge" leading the BBC News on the website? How is that news? They've been banging on about it for nearly a year now.

It's a bland report of what they today (re)emphasised I suppose - that's how they deal withallpolitical announcements inthe campaign, evenif they arenot new.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
  • Options

Has she ever actually made that categoric promise? She always talks about Brexit in the present continuous tense.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

Norm said:

Presumably May will largely leave ministers in place given most have barely had time to fully settle in yet.

Alternately since they've been treading water since the Brexti vote, a good time to move people and get in the long term team she wants,
    This time she'll pick the cabinet she wants - last summer it was a hasty compromise between the brexit factions. I would be surprised if there aren't several no-names plucked from obscurity. This is worth bearing in mind for next con leader betting - I'd guess laying all of the current cabinet, then rebacking them in a few months is likely to yield a profit. I haven't checked betfair for liquidity/odds though.

As for Hammond, I'm not convinced he is vulnerable - but if he was replaced, I think Jeremy Hunt might be her pick.

Just a hunch.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,763

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Second.

First was fox hunting

Not least because most hunters seem in practice quite content to "work within the law" (ie carry on as before, knowing Plod has better things to do and would struggle to prove a case to the CPS's/jury's satisfaction when foxes "accidentally" get killed).
    I.e. they are criminals who ought to be prosecuted.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

notme said:

Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

That was extraordinary!

In 1975 all the Labour left and most of its centre considered the EU to be 'a capitalist club'.

Yes, I'm almost 100% sure that their views haven't changed and they both voted to Leave.
    Yes their seeming indifference to the result (regardless of how they personally voted) undoubtedly tipped Leave over the finishing post.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,822
    Nigelb said:

Worth watching - what I saw was two reserved people at ease in each other's company....
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,645
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

jonny83 said:

I see. I do own the first book, but not read it yet - I understand the games a basically fanfiction of their favorite character?
    They are a non-canon continuation of the books. The author doesn't recognise them as part of the true story.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

I can't see that moving the 52% but with enough of an airing it might pull a few per cent out of the Corbyn column.

No wonder some of his opponents have been dredging up all the old abortion/gay sex type stories to discredit him.
    But people know it is never going to happen. The LibDems are W-A-Y more unlikely to have any influence on the next Government than is Jeremy Corbyn, and that is vanishingly small. As one of my Grandpa's inexhaustible supply of colourful expressions would have it, they might as well wish in one hand and shit in the other.....

If you wanted to do something about stopping Brexit, the time to put in the effort was May/June 2016, not May/June 2017.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson was reportedly confronted by a Sikh woman after he discussed alcohol during a visit to a Gurdwara.

The Foreign Secretary was visiting a Sikh temple in St George’s, Bristol where he made remarks about ending tariffs on whisky between the UK and India.

But a Sikh voter who was there berated him for his remarks, asking: “How dare you talk about alcohol in a Sikh temple?” The Sikh religion forbids drinking alcohol.

Mr Johnson is said to have apologised repeatedly after she told him about alcoholism in her family.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-confronted-by-sikh-woman-after-whisky-in-temple-gaffe-a3541576.html
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

felix said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Nigelb said:

Hammond is staying.
    We agreed many times during the european referendum!
    Ah but were you under another name then? :)
  • Options
    edited May 2017

If you wanted to do something about stopping Brexit, the time to put in the effort was May/June 2016, not May/June 2017.

May/June 2018 will be a better time than now, for sure, but any meaningful moves will come from the Tory benches.
  • Options

Boris Johnson was reportedly confronted by a Sikh woman after he discussed alcohol during a visit to a Gurdwara.

The Foreign Secretary was visiting a Sikh temple in St George’s, Bristol where he made remarks about ending tariffs on whisky between the UK and India.

But a Sikh voter who was there berated him for his remarks, asking: “How dare you talk about alcohol in a Sikh temple?” The Sikh religion forbids drinking alcohol.

Mr Johnson is said to have apologised repeatedly after she told him about alcoholism in her family.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-confronted-by-sikh-woman-after-whisky-in-temple-gaffe-a3541576.html

You're not allowed to even mention alcohol in the temple? Seems harsh.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

It's like the rules of fight club.
  • Options
    BaskervilleBaskerville Posts: 391

nunu said:

May does not like:

Plus he's a fab tipster, I'd be happy with him betting some of government's cash with the bookies for a very decent return.

I could see PaddyPower withdrawing his access to promotions and free-bets,m though.
  • Options

chestnut said:

But people know it is never going to happen. The LibDems are W-A-Y more unlikely to have any influence on the next Government than is Jeremy Corbyn, and that is vanishingly small. As one of my Grandpa's inexhaustible supply of colourful expressions would have it, they might as well wish in one hand and shit in the other.....

Many people vote for hopeless causes though.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302

So it was one individual who took offense because they have a family issue. It doesn't sound like mass outrage.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

nunu said:

May does not like:

I could see PaddyPower withdrawing his access to promotions and free-bets,m though.
    Already happened.

But just imagine the money we could all make on the budget specials/buzzword bingo
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,763
    kle4 said:

You should wait until you are sat at home with a bottle of Chivas Regal in front of you before talking about alcohol.

(Or in the case of a Sikh wedding, wait until you are at the reception when there will be a bottle of Chivas Regal, a bottle of Bacardi, and a bottle of Coke sat in the middle of each table.)
  • Options

So it was one individual who took offense because they have a family issue. It doesn't sound like mass outrage.
    Indeed. Boris has had some gaffes before, big ones, I'm no feeling this fits the category.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    Yet another negative slant on jobs news by the BBC...its like clockwork, like the FT with a bad news on Brexit front page.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39945782
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    ok i need to do some work... so mori should be out in a minute
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    chestnut said:

TFFT... If the Tories under May can move away from policies aimed at helping the already-rich to get richer, those of us on the centre-left could be a lot more supportive.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,465
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

jonny83 said:

Speaking of which, anyone any ideas for the next book I should read?

I am at a loss right now. I saw someone reading Edmund de Waal's The White Road on the tube and thought of that. Anyone?

And, tout le monde, as for the hunting thing...again...

The reason she made that comment was to mobilise foot soldiers from the hunting community to get out to help on the streets. They provide a large contingent and the approach has been successful in constituencies across the UK in previous GEs. It really is not complicated.

Will she then give a free vote? Not on repeal of the Hunting Act, too many Blue Foxes, but she might try to use a Statutory Instrument again.

• Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

chestnut said:

From July 2016 onwards there should have been a realigning of all those opposed to Brexit with the soft brexiteer/Dan Hannan leaver types. In those early days there was scope to present a sort of majority coalition - if 90% of remainers would prefer a soft brexit, and say 30% of leavers, it would have been a legitimate option. Trying to overturn the result of the referendum was a non starter. It left May with more to worry about from the press and her right than on the remain flank, hence why she decided to abandon single market plans.

I think the Lib Dems could have made more progress against tory remainers by going for that approach, and it is primarily tory voters that the Lib Dems should be trying to win over.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Putin is loving the chaos at the top in Washington. Most damaging for Trump in the eyes of the people might well be the sight of a Russian President riding to the rescue and calling for order in American government. Gotta sting
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Will more follow, or will he end up saying 'I'm so tired of being alone'
  • Options

ok i need to do some work... so mori should be out in a minute

Probably out tomorrow.

Should get a YouGov tonight
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited May 2017
    Watford FC are like Labour except they have more originality in their choice each year.
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    Scott_P said:
    Excellent. The man is a national embarrassment. (And I have a nice little earner if he goes before the end of 2018)
  • Options

Yet another negative slant on jobs news by the BBC...its like clockwork, like the FT with a bad news on Brexit front page.

I guess "lowest unemployment rate in 42 years" isn't worth a headline.
  • Options

I guess "lowest unemployment rate in 42 years" isn't worth a headline.
    I also guess "highest employment rate" since records began in 1971 also wasn't worth a headline.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

PaulM said:

I grew up in that seat.

He does have some personal appeal, but the Corbyn factor will mean it votes Tory for first time since 1992 IMO.

Plus there was nearly 15% UKIP last time, if I'm not mistaken - easily enough to put the Tories over the top?
    Labour's making a serious effort there, and in general the Labour ground game is superior in the Nottingham area. As Peter observes, UKIP got 15% (though the Greens got 3%). Vernon has a substantial personal vote and is running a personalised campaign (non-standard posters for a start) and I've heard a senior Conservative say that demographics there have been moving to Labour (and the reverse in Broxtowe). On current polls the Tories must be hopeful but it's not a walkover.

On Boris's latest exploit, I'm a bit puzzled. I know Sikhs who are quite religious but also quite keen on a drink or two - the Standard is mistaken on that. I think it varies with the particular brand, like Christianity. Perhaps this particular temple is strict on the issue?
This discussion has been closed.