Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2017 sees a changed political geography with 3 new regions

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

FF43 said:

The animals looked from Dick to Don etc.

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/863037186568073217

I'm guessing Trump's tweet was a joke?

I don't think so.

I mean it may not be true that he's secretly recorded conversations with Comey. But he certainly wants Comey to believe that Trump can and will respond in kind if Comey goes to the media about anything. It wasn't in any way a lighthearted or throwaway remark.

It was - typically - a very stupid thing to say: he will now face various subpoena requests. Then the tapes either appear or they have to be denied.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Just received this email alert from Lancashire Police. The Operation name chosen is a little unfortunate.

Lancashire Police and Trading Standards have joined forces this week to disrupt dishonest traders and scammers as part of a UK-wide crackdown, Operation Liberal.

Could have gone for something more dramatic, like Operation Overlord.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    kle4 said:

marke09 said:

Ceredigion - 7 candidates for what is usually a two horse race (Lib Dems and Plaid) even Monster Raving standing this time

LDs barely won in 2005, and seem to be doing worse in Wales than in England or Scotland, are they strong enough locally for Williams to be safe?
    The challenger is Plaid, who tend to be pretty useless at GE time. Williams should be OK I think...
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919

Sky news just had a cyber security guy on who said some nhs trusts are spending as little as £20k a year on cyber security ie one poorly qualified IT person .

:o

*polishes CV to send around NHS Trusts next week*
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Well I don't know how big an opportunity they had, really, but that it could harm LDs in winnable seats is I think the critical point. I want the LDs to recover and do well, I think more parties in parliament with significant numbers is important, but are they their own thing or not, is the people of Bury North suffering under a Tory a price worth paying for seeing if the LDs could improve there and one day challenge, even as a distant dream? The answer is apparently no. Which is problematic for areas where the LDs once won or came strong seconds but are currently well back. Look at the numbers and maybe people should assume a vote for them there is a wasted vote too.

There's a significant chance he could have saved his deposit with a bit of light Facebook campaigning, and urging everyone to go out and vote Liberal Democrat.
    It's supposed to be the other parties that do the old squeeze message ffsake.
    Yes. If you don't think people should vote for you, there's a bleedin' obvious way to ensure people don't vote for you. It's called not having your name on the ballot paper.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    edited May 2017

Mr. Anorak, a man's pantaloons should always be smart.

Mr. Prodicus, too near Thaxted?

Is that some sort of euphemism of which I am blissfully unaware?

Thaxted is the global centre of, erm, Morris dancing. Not to worry.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Wondering if this NHS thing is an attempt to interfere in our election. Quite a potent topic.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    Jonathan said:

Wondering if this NHS thing is an attempt to interfere in our election. Quite a potent topic.

I called it last month

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/04/09/can-vladimir-putin-make-jeremy-corbyn-prime-minister/
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    RobD said:

Just received this email alert from Lancashire Police. The Operation name chosen is a little unfortunate.

Lancashire Police and Trading Standards have joined forces this week to disrupt dishonest traders and scammers as part of a UK-wide crackdown, Operation Liberal.

Could have gone for something more dramatic, like Operation Overlord.
    Being kept back for "Invasion" of Privacy investigations. :smile:

(I can see myself out, thanks)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: Former Corbyn aide Harry Fletcher tells @Emmabarnett that Corbyn doesn't plan to resign unless his #GE2017 vote share drop below 20%.

Sensible - it looks like they'll be closer to 30 in any case, but no harm in playing it safe.
    20% of the electorate or just those that turn out?
  • Options
    On topic, superb from his Lordship.
  • Options

We need more posts from peers. Stage one of this process will be making you a peer. :D
  • Options
    Off topic, the quest to make a decent Alien universe film since Aliens still goes on.

Alien: Covenant is nearly as tedious as Prometheus.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: Former Corbyn aide Harry Fletcher tells @Emmabarnett that Corbyn doesn't plan to resign unless his #GE2017 vote share drop below 20%.

Sensible - it looks like they'll be closer to 30 in any case, but no harm in playing it safe.
    20% of the electorate or just those that turn out?
    They say vote share, so 20% of those who turn out, no doubt.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    kle4 said:

marke09 said:

Ceredigion - 7 candidates for what is usually a two horse race (Lib Dems and Plaid) even Monster Raving standing this time

LDs barely won in 2005, and seem to be doing worse in Wales than in England or Scotland, are they strong enough locally for Williams to be safe?
    welll according to local paper Plaid's vote share went down 4% in locals and Lib Dems were no change - still think he will cling on but Plaid do have locally born yng lad standing for them
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. Prodicus, ah, splendid.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Would appreciate opinions from PB canvassers on this:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/05/politicians-mean-great-response-doorstep/

"... seasoned campaigners claim they can tell how someone is going to vote on the basis of their front garden. A sofa on the lawn generally means non-voter, but the types of planting and levels of attention to pruning and lawn trimming apparently all mean something. A garden full of roses and hanging baskets can mean Tory, one councillor explained to me recently, but regimented rows of pelargoniums can indicate a traditional Labour voter who is concerned about immigration. There are regional variations..."
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    Jonathan said:

It would be difficult for Labour to pursue that, given the billions (up to £10 billion) they wasted on the NHS IT project. One of (sadly) many examples of poorly procured governmental IT projects.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

welll according to local paper Plaid's vote share went down 4% in locals and Lib Dems were no change - still think he will cling on but Plaid do have locally born yng lad standing for them
    All those areas with a LD MP should vote to keep them - they are a rare and precious commodity these days.
  • Options

Back in 2001, I was involved in a proposed purchase by (from memory) Gillette of Wilkinson Sword from whoever owned the business at the time.

This was at the height of the post-9/11 hysteria, and the US people behind the project were patriotic folk who were fully behind the then President in his efforts to hit the Taliban hard in Afghanistan.

Consequently - as a genuine tribute and with no pun intended - they called the plan "Project Bush".

• Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    marke09 said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

and plaid's candidate in 2015 had called english immigrants to the area "gun-toting final solution crackpots" but not sure if that helped his vote share or not.
  • Options
    RobD said:

We need more posts from peers. Stage one of this process will be making you a peer. :D
    I just want a GCMG.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Cookie said:

<
    Can't disagree with either of you there really. But I'd also argue that when you get LDs in unwinnable seats taking this stance, under present circumstances, it harms the prospects of LDs in winnable seats. I don't think, strategically, it's very bright.

With Jeremy Corbyn in power, the LDs had a once-in-a-generation opportunity to become the main party of the left - a necessary first step to being the main party of government, which is presumably a long-term ambition. I don't think it's an opportunity their grasping very cleverly.

The first paragraph is entirely fair and I can't argue with it.

As for the second, given the pounding the Party took in 2015, it's unrealistic to expect, barely two years later, the Party to be in a position to supplant Labour.

Back in 1981 which is the other obvious parallel, it took the schism within Labour to create the opportunity for a "new" party to come through. IF a new Party is formed after the GE, it needs to be in a position to attract disillusioned Conservatives when (not, if) the May Government hits its midterm.

Whether the Liberals alone could have prospered to the degree the eventual Alliance did seems unlikely.

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

But that is coming from Adolf Hitler's favourite British newspaper - a point that Corbyn would do well to draw to public attention.

Putting aside your nonsense...go look at who the Guardian have supported in the past for instance.

Bizarrely for the mud thrown at the Daily Mail (and plenty is deserved) not only are they one of the most read in print newspapers, their internet traffic is insane. Now a lot of it is people looking at the sidebar of shame and general tittle tattle, but people will not fail to notice if the Mail start sticking massive anti-Corbyn clickbait stuff up.
    It is not nonsense but historical fact - however inconvenient that might be to extreme rightwingers here. The Daily Mail supported Oswald Mosley and the British Union of Fascists. Why should Corbyn not take the opportunity to remind voters of that?
    That was a long long time ago for heaven's sake. When most of those involved with the paper at the time are dead, who cares? If someone tells me the Mail is a hotbed of extremist and offensive nonsense, that's relevant, but because is supported Osward Mosley? What does that have to do with anything today?
    Surely they will ALL be dead. If we assume they must have been at least 25 to be making editorial decisions in the early 30s they would have to have been born before 1910 - round up all the 107 yr olds who once worked for the Daily Mail.
    I suppose that the Volkischer Beobachter might be expressing itself a bit differently today too.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Anorak said:

Sky news just had a cyber security guy on who said some nhs trusts are spending as little as £20k a year on cyber security ie one poorly qualified IT person .

That's not Evil Tory Cuts, that's gross mismanagement.
    Wasn't the government supposed to have put in place some sort of protection via GCHQ or similar? Sounds like it's (cyber) defence by buzzwords and powerpoint.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997

kle4 said:

Prodicus said:

There was a Labour MP on 5 live this morning trying to defend Corbyn's defence strategy.

Anyone who believes that Corbyn is not a pacifist needs help.

Apparently, Mr Corbyn himself believes that he is not a pacifist, Mr Root. We should send help immediately.

There are a few areas where I have some sympathy for Corbyn, but his approach on this is woeful. He's had 30 years plus to think about this, and the sum total of his philosophy is "war is a terrible thing". That's a slogan, not a policy, or a strategy, or even a complete argument (a premise without a conclusion).
    That, I think, really does sum it up I think. That interview with a hypothetical droning of the ISIS leader was a case in point - he was making a whole lot of points many people would agree on about needing plans, and last resorts to intervention, and being sure action would help, but even after being presented with a scenario where we could kill the leader of ISIS (whom 'not being around anymore' was something he felt was a good thing for a peaceful settlement long term) he couldn't bring himself to say he'd do it, even in that 'no drawbacks' scenario (even acknowledging any real life choices would be tougher).
    Yes. I'd actually respect him a lot more - though not agree with him - if he said, "I don't believe in killing people, and I'm not a utilitarian. I wouldn't order the drone strike, just as I wouldn't pull the lever to send the train down a different track where it would kill one man rather than five... even if the one man was a well known a***hole. I know that's a moral philosophy that can have bad consequences, and you can throw extreme examples at me all day. But I think there are real merits in having a clear, inflexible moral code, that transcends the fact that it can be inconvenient and even have bad results."

It's the endless skirting around it that riles me. It's like the people in philosophy classes who try to add in facts that aren't there to justify a gut position... just confront the issue!

Yes - Kant would be a Corbynista. The categorical imperative. Don't confuse me with context. Though Corbyn has added a bit of context today.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

It would be difficult for Labour to pursue that, given the billions (up to £10 billion) they wasted on the NHS IT project. One of (sadly) many examples of poorly procured governmental IT projects.
    Hmm, an organised cyber attack on the NHS is surely a casus belli - even for Jeremy Corbyn. Some hackers will be awaiting the arrival of the black helicopters and the men from Hereford with trepidation - with their bitcoins inserted where the sun doesn't shine
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    PClipp said:

Farron has a reputation as a fine local political campaigner and his results in W&L are testament to that. But leading a national party is a different ball game and requires a different skill-set; one he doesn't have. To be an effective leader of the Lib Dems, you need to be seen by the public as at least a credible cabinet minister, not a politicised community activist.

Tim Farron is a hundred times more impressive than most of your Tory Cabinet, Mr Herdson. If they were not backed up by an army of civil servant experts (whom they despise), they would be sunk without trace. Mrs May would sink fastest.
    Shouldn't you be doing your h/w or chores or something.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    Con now has the full 631 candidates.

LDs - 629 - not standing in Brighton Pavilion or Skipton & Ripon.

Lab - 632 (582 + 50) - not sure how get that figure as not standing in Buckingham.

Green - 457

UKIP - 372

https://candidates.democracyclub.org.uk/numbers/election/parl.2017-06-08/parties
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    On the subject of Wales, I'm heading to a caravan about 5 miles north of St Clears in September.
    Are the locals likely to be Plaid or Tories ?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Hmm, an organised cyber attack on the NHS is surely a casus belli - even for Jeremy Corbyn. Some hackers will be awaiting the arrival of the black helicopters and the men from Hereford with trepidation - with their bitcoins inserted where the sun doesn't shine
    Let's make sure these are not the dreaded Russian hackers before we send the troops in.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480
    stodge said:

Cookie said:

<
    Can't disagree with either of you there really. But I'd also argue that when you get LDs in unwinnable seats taking this stance, under present circumstances, it harms the prospects of LDs in winnable seats. I don't think, strategically, it's very bright.

With Jeremy Corbyn in power, the LDs had a once-in-a-generation opportunity to become the main party of the left - a necessary first step to being the main party of government, which is presumably a long-term ambition. I don't think it's an opportunity their grasping very cleverly.

As for the second, given the pounding the Party took in 2015, it's unrealistic to expect, barely two years later, the Party to be in a position to supplant Labour.

Back in 1981 which is the other obvious parallel, it took the schism within Labour to create the opportunity for a "new" party to come through. IF a new Party is formed after the GE, it needs to be in a position to attract disillusioned Conservatives when (not, if) the May Government hits its midterm.

Whether the Liberals alone could have prospered to the degree the eventual Alliance did seems unlikely.

Fair enough - to move forward from 8 seats to second place would have been a mighty ask. You don't get to pick and choose when your opportunities come along, unfortunately. But En Marche in France have prospered from an even lower base.
  • Options
    Telegraph front page video on a May speech preceded by an ad for Visit Luxembourg. Their space buyer obvs has a GSOH.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/12/general-election-2017-jeremy-corbyns-labour-manifesto-live/

• Options
    Management efficiencies like saving money on integrated IT and phone systems means ... that the phones don't work when the computers go tits up. I guess the doctors don't have pagers any more either.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Anorak said:

Of course its Evil Tory Cuts

IT is a back office service.

Cut by 28% since 2010

With PB Tories cheerleading
  • Options

Jonathan said:

As I understand it GDS were ready to roll over the NHS, but that got neutered by the civil service. The government may have questions to answer, but not necessarily the political part of it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007

Jonathan said:

Let's make sure these are not the dreaded Russian hackers before we send the troops in.

Jonathan said:

Any evidence this is organised. Nothing I've seen so far points to anything beyond someone opening an dodgy email attachment and it cascading from there..
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

kle4 said:

Prodicus said:

There was a Labour MP on 5 live this morning trying to defend Corbyn's defence strategy.

Anyone who believes that Corbyn is not a pacifist needs help.

Apparently, Mr Corbyn himself believes that he is not a pacifist, Mr Root. We should send help immediately.

There are a few areas where I have some sympathy for Corbyn, but his approach on this is woeful. He's had 30 years plus to think about this, and the sum total of his philosophy is "war is a terrible thing". That's a slogan, not a policy, or a strategy, or even a complete argument (a premise without a conclusion).
    That, I think, really does sum it up I think. That interview with a hypothetical droning of the ISIS leader was a case in point - he was making a whole lot of points many people would agree on about needing plans, and last resorts to intervention, and being sure action would help, but even after being presented with a scenario where we could kill the leader of ISIS (whom 'not being around anymore' was something he felt was a good thing for a peaceful settlement long term) he couldn't bring himself to say he'd do it, even in that 'no drawbacks' scenario (even acknowledging any real life choices would be tougher).
    Yes. I'd actually respect him a lot more - though not agree with him - if he said, "I don't believe in killing people, and I'm not a utilitarian. I wouldn't order the drone strike, just as I wouldn't pull the lever to send the train down a different track where it would kill one man rather than five... even if the one man was a well known a***hole. I know that's a moral philosophy that can have bad consequences, and you can throw extreme examples at me all day. But I think there are real merits in having a clear, inflexible moral code, that transcends the fact that it can be inconvenient and even have bad results."

It's the endless skirting around it that riles me. It's like the people in philosophy classes who try to add in facts that aren't there to justify a gut position... just confront the issue!

On the subject of the trolley problem: https://xkcd.com/1455/
  • Options

Anorak said:

Wasn't the government supposed to have put in place some sort of protection via GCHQ or similar? Sounds like it's (cyber) defence by buzzwords and powerpoint.
    All government IT is done by buzzwords and PowerPoint. Nothing ever gets done because no-one can agree on what should be done. When they do finally agree on what should be done, they change their mind half way through the project, which makes it late and blows the budget, and it's out of date before it's been commissioned.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Well an attack on the NHS will surely bring people together ; for the left it's an attack on our precious NHS, for the right it's an attack that proves the need for strong and stable government.

You can imagine Corbyn being called out if sick people are unfortunately affected by this - "So Jeremy what would you do ?" "I think we should talk with these people and understand their grievances against us and ask them kindly not to do it again"
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    RobD said:

I could accept the red robes on TSE .... but dear god NOT red shoes !!!!!!!

One should also consider the effect of diluting the quality of the PB nobility .... :naughty:
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    " The defeat of both Alex Salmond and Angus Robertson may however be too attractive to disregard. "
    I'd use " succulent " rather than " attractive " to describe these fattened Nationalists. Are they not succulent prey ?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017
  • Options
    When is an attack on the NHS not an attack on the NHS?

https://digital.nhs.uk/article/1491/Statement-on-reported-NHS-cyber-attack
  • Options
    JackW said:

RobD said:

One should also consider the effect of diluting the quality of the PB nobility .... :naughty:
    Don't worry, I'm only proposing he be elevated to a Barony. The hereditary dukedom is for our right trusty and dearly beloved JohnO.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited May 2017
    My understanding is Jezza is going to talk to the ransomware in the hope of raising international understanding of its plight and grievances. If all else fails, he is firmly wobbly on the application of a patch.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Lab - 632 (582 + 50) - not sure how get that figure as not standing in Buckingham.

Green - 457

UKIP - 372

https://candidates.democracyclub.org.uk/numbers/election/parl.2017-06-08/parties

The site also claims no Lib Dem in Stoke Central.

Are these confirmed or cobbled together from press and other sources? I'd not heard of a withdrawal in Skipton (not that it's meaningfully relevant to bets) or Stoke (potentially relevant).
  • Options

MikeL said:

Green - 457

UKIP - 372

Are these confirmed or cobbled together from press and other sources? I'd not heard of a withdrawal in Skipton (not that it's meaningfully relevant to bets) or Stoke (potentially relevant).
    i did read about the skipton withdrawal in return for greens not standing in harrogate. like you say, pretty irrelevant.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

If they are right and it is Wanna Decryptor and they can remove it, then where is tapestry when we need him? Is this Russians trying to discredit the government or a false flag operation to boost the government's National Cyber Security Centre? And where does Brexit fit in?
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

Don't worry, I'm only proposing he be elevated to a Barony. The hereditary dukedom is for our right trusty and dearly beloved JohnO.
    No peerage for me, I just want to be a Knight Grand Cross of The Order of Saint Michael and Saint George.

Is a knighthood but comes with the post nominal GCMG, which stands for God Calls Me God.

I hinted I would accept such an honour in Dave's resignation honours but I was told I'd have to wait until George Osborne became Prime Minister.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39901382

Cyber attacks in Russia, Ukraine, Italy, Portugal etc
  • Options

RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

No peerage for me, I just want to be a Knight Grand Cross of The Order of Saint Michael and Saint George.

Is a knighthood but comes with the post nominal GCMG, which stands for God Calls Me God.

I hinted I would accept such an honour in Dave's resignation honours but I was told I'd have to wait until George Osborne became Prime Minister.
    Why not both :):D
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758
    stodge said:

Cookie said:

<

There is a place in the UK for a globalist, open society, socially liberal, pro-business party that takes similar positions to those of Tony Blair or David Cameron in their governments. Almost Gladstonian liberalism. That isn't the Lib Dems in their current form. Equally there isn't a party in the UK right now which occupies that space. The Lib Dems would seem the obvious party to do so, but they would need to transform themselves. Disruption is uncomfortable.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731

RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

That's almost like being told you'll have to wait for the heat death of the universe.
  • Options
    ‪Corbyn is the greatest sleeper agent in history. His Tory handlers have nothing on the KGB officers that ran the Cambridge spy ring. ‬

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/863053930334474241
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Tasmina's a wrong'n. Sturgeon's probably scared of the ghastly woman.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I was slightly unnerved the other day when the automatic passport machine at the UK Border, half way in the middle of doing its thing with my passport, decided to flash up the Windows Vista desktop.
  • Options
    I assume the NHS keep backups? Seems like in a situation like this better to nuke the whole thing and load from a clean copy.
  • Options

‪Corbyn is the greatest sleeper agent in history. His Tory handlers have nothing on the KGB officers that ran the Cambridge spy ring. ‬

Peace in our time. Just rejoice at that news.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I assume the NHS keep backups? Seems like in a situation like this better to nuke the whole thing and load from a clean copy.

The I.T. Crowd ruined my expectations about I.T. staff and their departments.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Green - 457

UKIP - 372

i did read about the skipton withdrawal in return for greens not standing in harrogate. like you say, pretty irrelevant.
    Thanks.

Down in the detail, there appear to be no National Front candidates for the first time since the party's formation. Nine BNP (one more than last time). Also more continuation SDP (six) than continuation Liberal (four)! Fairly big showings from the Yorkshire Party (21) and Christian People's Alliance (31) - the biggest two outside the usual names.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    There is no end to the creative ways Corbyn cultists will use something to attack May. This just appeared on my timeline:

For those in shock that 'someone has attacked the #NHS', what do you think #TheresaMay and #JeremyHunt are doing everyday? #nhscyberattack
  • Options

twitter.com/Channel4News/status/863053930334474241

What's the right wing equivalent of the Order of Lenin. Beause he's getting that. :smiley:
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Well, he is from Chippenham, where Eddie Cochran died under circumstances some might say were suspicious. He went to North London Poly but didn't graduate, so probably wasn't there long enough to be recruited. But he does seem to check all the boxes.
  • Options

There is no end to the creative ways Corbyn cultists will use something to attack May. This just appeared on my timeline:

For those in shock that 'someone has attacked the #NHS', what do you think #TheresaMay and #JeremyHunt are doing everyday? #nhscyberattack

Drat... they're on to us.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    FF43 said:

stodge said:

Cookie said:

<

There is a place in the UK for a globalist, open society, socially liberal, pro-business party that takes similar positions to those of Tony Blair or David Cameron in their governments. Almost Gladstonian liberalism. That isn't the Lib Dems in their current form. Equally there isn't a party in the UK right now which occupies that space. The Lib Dems would seem the obvious party to do so, but they would need to transform themselves. Disruption is uncomfortable.
    Tim Farron is clearly determined to keep the Lib Dems irrelevant.
  • Options
    RobD said:

What's the right wing equivalent of the Order of Lenin. Beause he's getting that. :smiley:
    Knight of the order of Margaret, our Lady of Grantham
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

Isn't this precisely what some right-wing Brexiteers are also advocating? Certainly, a few months ago a lot of folk on here were talking about withdrawing form NATO and leaving the Europeans to it.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The cyberattackers seem to have overlooked one thing...

https://twitter.com/coffeeheadaches/status/863060416490082304
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The cyberattackers seem to have overlooked one thing...

https://twitter.com/coffeeheadaches/status/863060416490082304

LOL
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    RobD said:

The Illicit Communications of Flynn award...
  • Options

Isn't this precisely what some right-wing Brexiteers are also advocating? Certainly, a few months ago a lot of folk on here were talking about withdrawing form NATO and leaving the Europeans to it.

A very small minority I suspect.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480
    FF43 said:

stodge said:

Cookie said:

<

Equally, there is a place in the UK for a party of the popular soft left - the sort of party that many who joined the original SDP might be comfortable with. That could well be filled by the current Lib Dems, but this position,too, isn't what they are now.

I'm not part of the party - so it's not by place to say what it should be doing - but I don't really understand why it isn't positioning itself to fill one of these gaps, nor really what its USP is right now.
  • Options
    chrisbchrisb Posts: 101
    Lord Hayward mentions Bradford South as a potential Conservative gain which I think is a decent shout.

It's a seat which voted 64% leave last year and the Labour MP campaigned for remain. Although the kippers are standing again, they picked up over 24% of the vote last time round so plenty for the Tories to mine. Indeed if they can pick up 50% of the kipper vote, they would only need a 2.5% swing from Labour to gain the seat. If there is no direct Lab-Con swing, the seat could still fall if the Cons picked up 70% of the kipper vote.

They are widely available at 9/4, a price which hasn't moved since the start of the campaign.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Is it just me or does Jon Craig report everything as if it's the greatest travesty of all time, ever?
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    chestnut said:

We should:
    1. make every effort to identify the attackers.
    2. make every legal effort to bring them to justice.
    3. demand that the host nation(s) take action.
    4. reserve the right to respond by force against the attackers.

• Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

I'm an elitist. Seems like everyone's got a peerage, even Jeffery Archer.

So few have a GCMG.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. B, cheers for that tip.

Mr. Observer, were they?
  • Options

It still beggars belief that Corbyn is leading the Labour Party. There can be no recovery,
  • Options
    RobD said:

Golden Party Award of the Nazi Party - Adolf Hitler Clasp.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I was slightly unnerved the other day when the automatic passport machine at the UK Border, half way in the middle of doing its thing with my passport, decided to flash up the Windows Vista desktop.

LOL. Well, you seem to have come through unscathed.
  • Options

RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

Plenty of time for that to happen.
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    FF43 said:

stodge said:

Cookie said:

<

There is a place in the UK for a globalist, open society, socially liberal, pro-business party that takes similar positions to those of Tony Blair or David Cameron in their governments. Almost Gladstonian liberalism.
    Perhaps there is, but it will inevitably be a minority position. Blair and Cameron managed to form governments only because the bulk of their parties remained loyal to their leaders despite not necessarily agreeing with what they said.
  • Options

RobD said:

That program was disturbingly accurate. Graham Linehan is a genius writer.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

RobD said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

So few have a GCMG.
    I hope you appreciate how difficult it is to get shoes that colour match the medal and sash…
  • Options
    JackW said:

RobD said:

Golden Party Award of the Nazi Party - Adolf Hitler Clasp.
    You get a free clasp from the man himself? Dare I ask where??
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

So few have a GCMG.
    Over 70 have a GCMG .....

KG or KT however ....
  • Options
    JackW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

So few have a GCMG.

KG or KT however ....
    How many have CH? Asking for a friend.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Correct. Desktops should have nothing important on them, servers for files, mail and databases should be backed up to tape and able to be restored within a few hours with little loss.

IF (and it's a bloody massive IF) the backups are actually working, regularly tested and ready to go. For too many organisations in this scenario that isn't the case and they find the easiest way to deal with the ransomware is to pay the ransom. This just encourages the c**** to keep doing it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

FPT

Also worth noting that in Wales, Lancashire and the West Country hunting isn't really a "toff" activity. It's not the horsemen from the HH or the Vine that May is after. It's the working class folks who hunt on foot.

I suspect this could reinforce some of the appeal in rather unexpected locations

A huge misapprehension about hunting is that it is toffs in red coats. 90% of a typical field in a typical hunt will be normal people.

But you are getting dangerously close to pointing out the facts there with that observation.
    The Banwen Miners Hunt are called that for a reason. And I agree - barring the Beaufort on a Saturday most hunts are well under 50% toff, and that includes the mounted field. I hunt with my builder, my tree surgeon and the lady behind the till at the local petrol station.

And without wishing to throw anyone else to the wolves, do these people not know about organized pheasant shooting? Harmless birds bred solely to be shot in numbers of 100s per day (more than most hunts killed foxes per season when they killed foxes), the remains sold to go in tinned cat food if they get utilised at all, and the cost of a day beyond anyone without a hedge fund.
    There maybe shoots as your describe, Mr. Z, but they are far from the majority. I, and my son once he was old enough, used to beat for the local shoot and none of the birds went to waste let alone cat food. Once the guns had taken what they wanted the rest was divided amongst the beaters and it was a rare Saturday in the season that I did not come home with a brace of pheasants for Sunday lunch three weeks later. On the odd occasion that there was a surplus the local butcher would always buy them and sell them on for a profit.

As to harmless birds being bred solely to be killed, what is the difference between a pheasant and a male sheep or beef cattle? Breeding animals for slaughter is what a lot of farming is all about. The pheasant, if it is shot, probably has a swifter and more merciful end than do those cuddly baa-lambs.
    You're kidding about the shoots, right? Shoots bury thousands of birds every season.
    The kind of industrialised commercial shoots you are talking about are vile. I shoot, but it's usually with 5 or 6 guns and only going for 50/60 birds in the bag - those can easily been used by the beaters
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

What fraction of NHS computers are running an outdated version of Windows*? I would guess at in excess of 50%. Just from eyeballing it when I hospitals I see a lot of what looks like XP running, and PCs left unlocked, and users apparently sharing accounts.

* Before anyone says it, I know Microsoft still offers patches all the way back to XP for paying customers, but the security architecture of XP is miles behind Vista or Windows 7, which in turn are far behind Windows 8 or 10. I personally wouldn't run anything older than Windows 10.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758
    Cookie said:

FF43 said:

Equally, there is a place in the UK for a party of the popular soft left - the sort of party that many who joined the original SDP might be comfortable with. That could well be filled by the current Lib Dems, but this position,too, isn't what they are now.

I'm not part of the party - so it's not by place to say what it should be doing - but I don't really understand why it isn't positioning itself to fill one of these gaps, nor really what its USP is right now.
    Most parties are coalitions, so there is no reason why the Lib Dems couldn't be both. The original Liberal Party was both Gladstonian as well as social liberal back at the turn of the 20th century.

We're agreed. They need to do some positioning, which will mean they will lose people along the way.

• Options
    Righties wanting to leave NATO? No, no, that was what Mr Corbyn wanted to do. Till a bit of election campaign reality sullied his purity, of course. Now he's so determined to protect this country's security, etc., you could almost confuse him with David Davis. In a dim light.
  • Options
    JackW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

So few have a GCMG.

KG or KT however ....
    OM's the last respectable honour. The others are debased.
  • Options
    chrisb said:

Lord Hayward mentions Bradford South as a potential Conservative gain which I think is a decent shout.

It's a seat which voted 64% leave last year and the Labour MP campaigned for remain. Although the kippers are standing again, they picked up over 24% of the vote last time round so plenty for the Tories to mine. Indeed if they can pick up 50% of the kipper vote, they would only need a 2.5% swing from Labour to gain the seat. If there is no direct Lab-Con swing, the seat could still fall if the Cons picked up 70% of the kipper vote.

They are widely available at 9/4, a price which hasn't moved since the start of the campaign.

I'm on there and I think you're right. Looks like the Greens are standing too which doesnt do any harm at all.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,713
    Are the Northern Ireland Conservatives not standing?
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,713

RobD said:

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
  • Options

JackW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

So few have a GCMG.

KG or KT however ....
    OM's the last respectable honour. The others are debased.
    That's the one entirely in the gift of HM, right?
This discussion has been closed.