Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Four weeks to go and two local by-elections – LAB & CON defenc

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210
    Danny565 said:

chestnut said:

British adults are more likely to oppose than support the proposal to scrap the Conservative Party’s commitment to reduce net migration to the UK to below 100,000 (49% oppose v 32% support, with 19% saying don’t know).

Is the Tory manifesto actually going to include any concrete proposals on reducing EU migration, once we've left the EU?
    As part of the below 100,000 target yes
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,568
    Danny565 said:

LOL, even I would say the Conservatives have the most "thought through" policies.

Policies? I've been out for the evening; did I miss something?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    chestnut said:

56% of British adults say that Jeremy Corbyn would be a ‘disaster as Prime Minister’.

That's pretty conclusive. Those people putting money on Labour winning most seats can forget about winning anything.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Danny565 said:

LOL, even I would say the Conservatives have the most "thought through" policies.

LOL and they haven't even announced them yet!
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    AndyJS said:

Apologies if it's already been discussed earlier, but does anyone know how many UKIP and Green candidates will be standing at the general election? Also how many LDs aren't standing?

Don't know about the others but I understand LD are standing in 630, which I think is everywhere except, NI, the speaker, and the green Carolina Lucas.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,447
    Maybe but it is a very stark presentation of the state of labour today by one of the most read newspapers

And lots more of it to come from the sun, mail, express and others over the next four weeks
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    kle4 said:
    Yes, it is.

The most significant other finding is probably the relatively modest 45-35 Tory lead in "I have found myself leaning more to this side" question. That's potentially a leading indicator, though we've yet to see the Tories say anything significant.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

chestnut said:

British adults are more likely to oppose than support the proposal to scrap the Conservative Party’s commitment to reduce net migration to the UK to below 100,000 (49% oppose v 32% support, with 19% saying don’t know).

Is the Tory manifesto actually going to include any concrete proposals on reducing EU migration, once we've left the EU?
    Yes, but are they going to say how exactly the target will be met, once they have all the powers to do so?

Come to that, is 100,000 going to remain a "target", or will it be an actual limit.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Scott_P said:

@JBeattieMirror: Very interesting @ComRes poll coming on Labour's manifesto pledges. See @DailyMirror website from 10pm #GE2017

Who doesn't like sweeties....lots of them...
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/poll-shows-people-love-labours-10404216

Executive summary:

Voters love all of Labour's spending commitments - HOWEVER...

- No sign that the pollster also asked the public which of their taxes they would like putting up to pay for it all (this, admittedly, would be hard to tie in with Labour's manifesto itself, given that a few spending commitments are tied into hypothecated taxes, but most of them are unfunded.)
    - Labour ahead on health and education, but Tories ahead on economic competence, crime and defence.
    - Over half of respondents said Corbyn would be a disaster as PM.

And, right at the very end...

"Asked which party is running the best election campaign 42% said the Tories, 20% Labour, 5% Lib Dems and 2% UKIP."

People love free everything, but only if they feel that it really *IS* free, i.e. that it's not going to return to haunt them in the form of horrid tax rises. The Scottish Government can offer free student tuition, prescriptions and elderly care and get away with it, because it's paid for by a whacking great subsidy. Labour will try to pretend that it can raise everything it needs through a combination of massive, entirely consequence-free, borrowing and taxing the rich until the pips squeak, but a critical mass of the electorate won't believe that. Borrowing does not come without consequences, and there aren't enough wealthy individuals available to finance the 373 squillion quids' worth of new spending that Labour would like.

Some voters will always be seduced, whether through political inclination or wishful thinking, into buying enthusiastically into the magic money tree. But many more others know that if it were really that easy then one or the other of the big parties would already have done it, and reaped immense political rewards as a result.

Labour's plans are a fantasy, designed to try to shore up the core vote. This, in fact, is probably a good strategy for a party that has given up on winning in the country and is concentrating on defending its citadels, but it won't get them anywhere near power.
    We know they want to get 30% so they can claim they have a mandate to carry on.
    Also rumoured to be true, yes.

And I'm still convinced that all these results around 30% for Labour are evidence of another polling fail. But we still have to wait another four weeks to find out, of course...
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Mortimer said:

Barry Gardiner is winning my nomination for most annoying Shad Cab member presently...

he wasn't to bad on the local eletions which he had to do for hours...
  • Options
    BigRich said:

AndyJS said:

Apologies if it's already been discussed earlier, but does anyone know how many UKIP and Green candidates will be standing at the general election? Also how many LDs aren't standing?

Don't know about the others but I understand LD are standing in 630, which I think is everywhere except, NI, the speaker, and the green Carolina Lucas.
    Thanks. Just found out that UKIP are contesting 42% of seats in the South West. I can't see them contesting more than 50% overall on that basis, although I'll stand corrected if wrong.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2017
    glw said:

51% before their manifesto. Merely being "not Corbyn" seems to be enough for most voters.
    It would seem so. Re Corbyn, once the electorate have formed an opinion, they rarely change.
  • Options
    So based on Comres tonight we can conclude British voters want a government which puts up tax on the rich, nationalises the railways, Royal Mail and energy companies, ends tuition fees but takes Britain out of the EU and puts tough controls on immigration, so basically a complete reverse of the Blair and Cameron years, they want some Corbyn economics with a dash of May nationalism
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302

And I'm still convinced that all these results around 30% for Labour are evidence of another polling fail. But we still have to wait another four weeks to find out, of course...

Personally I am finding it hard to think they will do as well as Ed Miliband...but then I also really don't believe 1 in 2 voters will vote for the Tories. Knock 3-4% off both and I might be more convinced.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    The manifesto isn't actually all that bad, I wouldn't say it's extreme - just incredibly unrealistic. The issue is whether you believe that Corbyn and co. have the competence to deliver on such a manifesto while negotiating a successful Brexit. I do not.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    It's a 48-31 VI poll (see page 15 unweighted)
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

chestnut said:

Yes, but are they going to say how exactly the target will be met, once they have all the powers to do so?

Come to that, is 100,000 going to remain a "target", or will it be an actual limit.
    I bet it would be a target, as it should be. A limit ties your hands too much.

As for how exactly the target will be met I can't imagine exact proposals being put out because they'd be hostages to fortune. We haven't had our negotiations yet with the EU and as with all negotiations nothing is final until everything is final. We need to complete those first before we can know exact actions that will follow whatever is negotiated.

A principle can be out there on which to be judged but no government ever says exactly what will happen years in the future as without a crystal ball it is unknowable.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,675

Personally I am finding it hard to think they will do as well as Ed Miliband...but then I also really don't believe 1 in 2 voters will vote for the Tories. Knock 3-4% off both and I might be more convinced.
    That's what my old constituency chairman said the other day, he said as popular as Mrs May is, he really can't see her outpolling Mrs Thatcher or Blair at their best, which is 44%
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021
    chestnut said:

Unweighted though?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Who are you giving that 6-8% to?
  • Options
    RobD said:

chestnut said:

Unweighted though?
    An unweighted poll is as useful as a condom with a hole in both ends.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Worth remembering that almost all polls in the period leading up to the election in 2015 were reporting Labour shares of 31-35%

Almost all polls now for Labour are in the range 27-31%

Labour is polling about 4% less now than it was last cycle. How much of that is due to the polls being fixed and how much due to a change in popularity? Its hard to tell but there is a change.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

I know its a conundrum...Polls keep showing Lib Dems on ~10%, I guess we can give them at least 4 of those, then who knows...the Monster Raving Loony Party(s)...

The one thing I am totally convinced of is that UNS is totally and utterly waste of time in this GE.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

That's what my old constituency chairman said the other day, he said as popular as Mrs May is, he really can't see her outpolling Mrs Thatcher or Blair at their best, which is 44%

Labour still have four weeks to do their 2017 version of the Ed Stone or Mrs. Duffy.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited May 2017
    Wouldn't bet against a bit of nationalisation leg being shown by the Tories in their manifesto. Big talk of 'industrial stategies' and temporary nationalisation of individual railways if franchises found to be failing etc.
  • Options
    RobD said:

chestnut said:

Unweighted though?
    My mistake - 41-26 unweighted/40-27 weighted
  • Options
    glw said:

Labour still have four weeks to do their 2017 version of the Ed Stone or Mrs. Duffy.
    Well they are trying...yesterday jeering a veteran, today running over a member of the media.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    Danny565 said:

What policies though ?
    The only Tory policy I've heard is one for a vote on Fox Hunting.

I think people are answering a different question !
  • Options

Worth remembering that almost all polls in the period leading up to the election in 2015 were reporting Labour shares of 31-35%

Almost all polls now for Labour are in the range 27-31%

Labour is polling about 4% less now than it was last cycle. How much of that is due to the polls being fixed and how much due to a change in popularity? Its hard to tell but there is a change.
    I have asked a few pollsters to contribute to a thread, where they present their VI using their current methodologies and the VI using their 2015 methodologies.

The responses have ranged from 'I'll see what I can do' or 'I need to speak to the boss to check if that is ok' or 'Fuck off'
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    chestnut said:

RobD said:

chestnut said:

Unweighted though?
    Now we know ComRes for a long time said their weighting were screwed and not to infer things. Then they started to release VI polling numbers again.

However, if it was a proper VI poll why hasn't it been referred to? Given just 13% lead you would think the Mirror would be interested in telling people that.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Amazing news — no LD candidate in Skipton & Ripon. They've been second at every election since the 1970s except last time.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    Pulpstar said:

@PaulM Electoral calculus has Don Valley at:

Chance of
    winning
    LAB
    54%
    CON
    42%

I would take some of the percentages that Electoral calculus have for chances of winning with a big pinch of salt.
    I have just looked at the seat I live in and the numbers for the individual wards are often quite crazy and likely to be wrong wide margins.
    The actual overall result for the seat looked somewhat plausible but how they got there did not.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,603
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Of course. Darth Sidious thought very carefully on how to take over the galaxy, the point he was in control no matter who won a civil war. Obviously the Tories aren't quite that great yet in the planning.
    Sunil: Remember back to your early teachings. "All who gain power are afraid to lose it." Even the REMAINERS.

TSE: The REMAINERS use their power for good.

Sunil: Good is a point of view, Anakin, er, I mean TSE. The LEAVERS and the REMAINERS are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power.

TSE: The LEAVERS rely on their passion for their strength. They think inward, only about themselves.

Sunil: And the REMAINERS don't?

TSE: The REMAINERS are selfless... they only care about others.

Sunil: [looking a little frustrated] Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Smithson "the Wise"?

TSE: No.

Sunil: I thought not. It's not a story the LibDems would tell you. It's a Blogging legend. Darth Smithson was a Dark Lord of the Sith who lived many years ago. He was so powerful and so wise that he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create... AV threads. He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying from boredom on Thursday Nights.

TSE: He could do that? He could actually save people from boring themselves to death?

Sunil: The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many policy platforms some consider to be unelectable.

TSE: What happened to him?

Sunil: He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, and then one night, his apprentice wiped his servers' hard drives while he slept. It's ironic that he could save others from obscurity, but not himself.

TSE: Is it possible to learn this power?

Sunil: Not from a LibDem...
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Y0kel said:

Trumpton

Its occurred to me that there are so many angles that its unlikely Trump and his team can shut them down. Today's raid on the GOP related lobbying and communications firm certainly points to easily identifiable players and certain investigative channels.

Way way back before polling day in the US election I said Trump was in way over his head but the scale of this thing, if all the dots being plotted are connected (I have some doubts but even then is a lot there that is fact), its so staggering that Trump isn't so much on over his head, as he is going to drown.

And its probably going to be all about the money.

All bets are off on next stand-in president if Trump is shoved out.

I'm going to throw a long range Democrat Candidate to run for President, Caroline Kennedy. 2020 probably too early, 2024 not.

Do you think Pence would be implicated too?

I'm wondering whether, if it takes a while for this to play out, the 2018 midterms effectively become a vote on the next President (as I think the Speaker of the House is next in line after the President and VP).
  • Options

chestnut said:

RobD said:

chestnut said:

Unweighted though?
    Now we know ComRes for a long time said their weighting were screwed and not to infer things. Then they started to release VI polling numbers again.

However, if it was a proper VI poll why hasn't it been referred to?
    It's not a proper VI.

IE they asked a basic VI question, not the full suite, like who did you vote for last time, certainty to vote etc, nor did they apply their turnout filters.
  • Options

chestnut said:

RobD said:

chestnut said:

Unweighted though?

However, if it was a proper VI poll why hasn't it been referred to?
    It's not a proper VI.

IE they asked a basic VI question, not the full suite, like who did you vote for last time, certainty to vote etc, nor did they apply their turnout filters.
    Thought that might be the case.
  • Options

chestnut said:

RobD said:

chestnut said:

Unweighted though?

However, if it was a proper VI poll why hasn't it been referred to? Given just 13% lead you would think the Mirror would be interested in telling people that.
    Labour numbers are horrendous, as are the Corbyn like/dislike numbers (27-64)
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    I find it hard to see Labour breaching 30% as it stands unless some interesting differential turnout.

27% is, for me, the floor so its narrow range.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Wouldn't bet against a bit of nationalisation leg being shown by the Tories in their manifesto. Big talk of 'industrial stategies' and temporary nationalisation of individual railways if franchises found to be failing etc.

Wonder what would be the fall out on here to that from the tory pb ?
  • Options
    BTW, have we commented on the fact that today's YouGov has Labour statistically tied with the Tories among the working-age 18-65 population?

Tories only ahead because of a MAMMOTH lead with the workshy scrounger pensioners.
  • Options

I know its a conundrum...Polls keep showing Lib Dems on ~10%, I guess we can give them at least 4 of those, then who knows...the Monster Raving Loony Party(s)...

The one thing I am totally convinced of is that UNS is totally and utterly waste of time in this GE.
    My hunch is that the Conservatives will do better than the polls suggest, by a process of elimination. It's not that Theresa May is good, it's that her opponents are all useless.
  • Options
    I wonder whether the opinion pollsters will take into account the fact that UKIP may not be standing in about 50% of seats, if that turns out to be the case.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187
    AndyJS said:

Amazing news — no LD candidate in Skipton & Ripon. They've been second at every election since the 1970s except last time.

Cock up on getting nomination papers in on time?
  • Options

Makes sense but then the question is where are the votes going to go?

I can't see Tories beating Thatcher or Blair so 44%
    I can't see Labour beating Foot/not being down a bit on Miliband so that's 28%
    I can't see Lib Dems reaching the teens so 12%
    I can't see UKIP beating their 2010 total considerably so 4%
    I can't see SNP not being down a bit on last time so 4%
    I can't see NI being over 2%
    I can't see Others doing better than last time so that is 4%

Which means even if everyone hits their upper limit there is at least 2% of votes that can't go to anyone at all. Something has to break but what?
  • Options

My hunch is that the Conservatives will do better than the polls suggest, by a process of elimination. It's not that Theresa May is good, it's that her opponents are all useless.
    You honestly think they will break 50%? Genuine question.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    AndyJS said:

Amazing news — no LD candidate in Skipton & Ripon.

Seems so but if you look at the SOPN there are 5 sets of proposers assentors and nominators but only 4 candidates
  • Options
    PoliticsHome‏Verified account @politicshome

David Cameron: Theresa May needs a big majority to stop an extreme Brexit http://bit.ly/2r4fm8O

The mask is slipping.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,447
    Here in Vancouver the media are wall to wall Trump and nothing else is getting a look in.

Of course Trump has put tariffs on the Canadian lumber business and the Canadian's are hitting back with their own threats.

Trump and disharmony seem to go together
  • Options
    What does SOPN stand for?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    edited May 2017

Statement of Persons Nominated.
  • Options
    kle4 said:
    Always assuming the people expressing an opinion actually understand what the question means.
  • Options

Which means even if everyone hits their upper limit there is at least 2% of votes that can't go to anyone at all. Something has to break but what?
    We could just have a super-low turnout - meaning the Tories could beat Blair& Thatcher in voteshare without coming close in raw number of votes, Labour could match Miliband's voteshare without matching raw number of votes, etc.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307

Y0kel said:

Trumpton

Its occurred to me that there are so many angles that its unlikely Trump and his team can shut them down. Today's raid on the GOP related lobbying and communications firm certainly points to easily identifiable players and certain investigative channels.

Way way back before polling day in the US election I said Trump was in way over his head but the scale of this thing, if all the dots being plotted are connected (I have some doubts but even then is a lot there that is fact), its so staggering that Trump isn't so much on over his head, as he is going to drown.

I'm going to throw a long range Democrat Candidate to run for President, Caroline Kennedy. 2020 probably too early, 2024 not.

I'm wondering whether, if it takes a while for this to play out, the 2018 midterms effectively become a vote on the next President (as I think the Speaker of the House is next in line after the President and VP).
    Ryan is definitely in the firing line on one of the lines of investigation which is why bets are off. Pence I'm not sure he is involved in that particular thread but he knows more about connections to the Russians via Mike Flynn than is pretended. Flynn apparently had to go for misleading Pence. He didn't mislead Pence at all, but whether that is the thin end of a much thicker wedge of a story on Pence I do not know.
  • Options

I think it's possible.
  • Options

PoliticsHome‏Verified account @politicshome

David Cameron: Theresa May needs a big majority to stop an extreme Brexit http://bit.ly/2r4fm8O

The mask is slipping.

They can disavow the comments of a former PM if reaction goes too negative, and benefit from them if it does not.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,957

AndyJS said:

Seems so but if you look at the SOPN there are 5 sets of proposers assentors and nominators but only 4 candidates
    Usually where you see that it is because one candidate has huge number of nominations....
  • Options

kle4 said:
    Always assuming the people expressing an opinion actually understand what the question means.
    Well yes, but we are limited by the public we have I suppose.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

BTW, have we commented on the fact that today's YouGov has Labour statistically tied with the Tories among the working-age 18-65 population?

Tories only ahead because of a MAMMOTH lead with the workshy scrounger pensioners.

Are you proposing there be no pensions, and that people work to they drop?
  • Options
    Hope they got more than just one green to stand aside for that deal with the devil.
  • Options
    By the by, I've been laid down even more than my usual sedentary position due to a cold that is just now ramping up like LD seat projections pre-May - If I have written or do write anything particularly loopy in the coming days, that's my excuse.

Feel free to extend that excuse onwards for any future mistakes.
  • Options

I think it's possible.
    My hunch is they'll get between 40 and 45% but like you I don't think 50% can be ruled out at the moment. It depends how bad the Labour campaign continues to be.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    Pulpstar said:

Chance of
    winning
    LAB
    54%
    CON
    42%

That's on account of them applying this uniform national swing to the seat which implies the UKIP vote in Donny goes to the Tories. Whereas last week Labour picked up a council seat.

• Options

Statement of Persons Nominated
  • Options

+100

Sticking with a methodology because it is easy to use is a nonsense if it doesn't actually work any more.
  • Options

Here in Vancouver the media are wall to wall Trump and nothing else is getting a look in.

Of course Trump has put tariffs on the Canadian lumber business and the Canadian's are hitting back with their own threats.

Trump and disharmony seem to go together

Any interest in the UK election?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,229
    Very anti-Conservative Question Time audience in Edinburgh...
  • Options

Basically.

Labour membership need to understand the importance of electing a leader who actually has leadership skills. It's clear that aspects of Corbynism *are* popular, but that's no use if voters think your guy is useless when it comes to leadership skills. And let's not talk about the fact they need to avoid electing anyone who is sympathetic to Marxism, or has controversial views/statements on the IRA, Hamas, Castro, Chavez etc.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I wonder whether the opinion pollsters will take into account the fact that UKIP may not be standing in about 50% of seats, if that turns out to be the case.

Almost inevitably not. How can they have done so up until now? Moreover, will most of their respondents know whether or not Ukip will be on the ballot paper in their own constituency in future? This is actually rather interesting: I bet one Hell of a lot of Ukip voters are going to turn up in the polling booths on June 8th, discover that Ukip is missing from their ballot papers, and have to make a snap decision on which way to jump. This could materially affect the final outcome in quite a lot of seats.

I don't think that any of the polls contain any questions to the effect of: "Ukip voters: what is your second preference if your own favoured party can't be arsed?" So we are left to guess. Will the results in seats where this happens generally favour the Tories, Labour, neither, or be wildly different between individual constituencies? We just don't know.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Barry Gardiner is winning my nomination for most annoying Shad Cab member presently...

he wasn't to bad on the local eletions which he had to do for hours...
    Actually he is by far the best of a bad bunch. Pretty much the only one that can defend their position on Tv and put forward any sort of considered coherent argument.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

AndyJS said:

Almost inevitably not. How can they have done so up until now? Moreover, will most of their respondents know whether or not Ukip will be on the ballot paper in their own constituency in future? This is actually rather interesting: I bet one Hell of a lot of Ukip voters are going to turn up in the polling booths on June 8th, discover that Ukip is missing from their ballot papers, and have to make a snap decision on which way to jump. This could materially affect the final outcome in quite a lot of seats.

I don't think that any of the polls contain any questions to the effect of: "Ukip voters: what is your second preference if your own favoured party can't be arsed?" So we are left to guess. Will the results in seats where this happens generally favour the Tories, Labour, neither, or be wildly different between individual constituencies? We just don't know.
    UKIP aren't standing in quite a lot of seats where they did extremely well in 2015 like Bournemouth West, Devon West, Witham, etc. As you say, this could seriously mess up the pollsters' accuracy. On the other hand, it provides a handy excuse for them if they do get it wrong. They can simply say that there was no way for them to account for whether UKIP were standing in particular constituencies which is why, for instance, they may underestimate the final Tory share.
  • Options

I'm shocked.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

Usually where you see that it is because one candidate has huge number of nominations....
    Yes often there are more than the required nominators but it is unusual to have more than 1 proposer and seconder
  • Options

Y0kel said:

Trumpton

No chance whatsoever that could happen. It would take the simultaneous impeachment of both the President and VP, which would require a two-thirds majority of the Senate. Otherwise if they weren't impeached simultaneously a new and unimpeachable GOP VP could be inaugurated after the first resignation.

There is actually precedent for this in 73/74. In 73 President Nixon's Vice President Spiro Agnew resigned and was replaced by Gerald Ford. In 74 Nixon resigned under threat of impeachment, meaning the unelected VP Ford ascended to the Presidency. Rockefeller then became VP meaning that incredibly neither the President nor the Vice President had been elected at the last election.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Danny565 said:

We could just have a super-low turnout - meaning the Tories could beat Blair& Thatcher in voteshare without coming close in raw number of votes, Labour could match Miliband's voteshare without matching raw number of votes, etc.
    The result seems like such a foregone conclusion that turnout could dip below the 59.4% in 2001, or even the record low of 57.2% in 1918.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I'm shocked.
    Surely the fox hunting Question must be brought up ?
  • Options
    Well this is awkward, you'll never guess who just re-tweeted one of my tweets.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

More news of the Amazing Vanishing Greens

https://twitter.com/ElectCalculus/status/862687485356277761

Yeah, I'll need to rerun my model with no greens this time.
  • Options
    3 candidates only in Norman Lamb's constituency:

BURKE Stephen Bernard (Labour Party)
    LAMB Norman Peter (Liberal Democrat)
    WILD James Oliver (The Conservative Party Candidate)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu-J16VQho8

Couldn't believe it when I saw that this was uploaded onto YT today.

The one between Campbell and Owen Jones is hilarious though.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    Danny565 said:

That is remarkable
    Con lead Labour 65-15 among the over 65s
    Over 65s far more energised by Brexit than other age groups
    Over 65s highest propensity to vote.
    Still suspect it is an iffy sample

It also has Conservatives getting nearly double the Labour vote in Scotland.

• Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Danny565 said:

i.e people who remember what happened the last time that Labour put out manifestos like that! :smiley:
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

Yes often there are more than the required nominators but it is unusual to have more than 1 proposer and seconder

Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

That's standard too. E.g. Look at this SOPN - in the third row of the Conservative nomination for Michael at least one local Tory councillor is included, yet all rows have proposers and seconders:

https://m.dorsetforyou.gov.uk/media/221629/Mid-Dorset-and-North-Poole---Statement-of-Persons-Nominated-and-Notice-of-Poll/pdf/Mid_Dorset_and_North_Poole_-_Statement_of_Persons_Nominated_and_Notice_of_Poll.pdf
  • Options
    PaulM said:

Pulpstar said:

Chance of
    winning
    LAB
    54%
    CON
    42%

That's on account of them applying this uniform national swing to the seat which implies the UKIP vote in Donny goes to the Tories. Whereas last week Labour picked up a council seat.

Just a few miles down the road from where I live is Stevenage. Labour majority council. Returned a Tory MP at last election with a 5,000 majority, may well get into five figures now Ukip have withdrawn. We must always remember that local and general elections are clean different things, and one can only read across from the former to the latter to a limited extent.

That said, Don Valley is still an exceptionally challenging target for the Conservatives.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Officially at least aren't most of the seats where UKIP aren't standing because the seat already has a pro-Brexit MP? Which almost exclusively means it has a Tory MP? Which means its essentially safe given how the polls are? Which means that the absence of UKIP won't affect the result?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

3 candidates only in Norman Lamb's constituency:

BURKE Stephen Bernard (Labour Party)
    LAMB Norman Peter (Liberal Democrat)
    WILD James Oliver (The Conservative Party Candidate)

Lamb burked by wild.
  • Options
    PaulM said:

Danny565 said:

That is remarkable

It's not that out-of-step with other polls.

I was making a semi-serious point. When people talk about Labour "only doing well with young voters", they seem to be assuming that they only do well with people in their early 20s. But that's not the case. Most polls also have them roughly level or sometimes a little ahead with the 25-49 age bracket, and they don't do too disgracefully even with the 50-64 age bracket. It's only in the 65+ age bracket that they enter the slaughterhouse - and obviously pensioners are growing in number and are much likely to vote, but they're not the ONLY ones who make up the whole electorate.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

PaulM said:

Danny565 said:

That is remarkable

I was making a semi-serious point. When people talk about Labour "only doing well with young voters", they seem to be assuming that they only do well with people in their early 20s. But that's not the case. Most polls also have them roughly level or sometimes a little ahead with the 25-49 age bracket, and they don't do too disgracefully even with the 50-64 age bracket. It's only in the 65+ age bracket that they enter the slaughterhouse - and obviously pensioners are growing in number and are much likely to vote, but they're not the ONLY ones who make up the whole electorate.
    Not most polls I've seen in the past 5 months. Many polls have put Labour behind with every age group apart from 18-24.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

PaulM said:

Danny565 said:

That is remarkable

Not most polls I've seen in the past 5 months. Many polls have put Labour behind with every age group apart from 18-24.
    Yes, quite a lot have put them behind, but they're almost always in spitting distance with the 25-49 bracket even if they're not ahead.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    kle4 said:

PaulM said:

Pulpstar said:

I doubt fox hunting will make it to the Tory manifesto. The last thing they need to do is rack up the leafy shire vote whilst Don Valley is in play.

Don Valley isn't in play though. Even Shadsy who I think has been overly negative on Labour hold prospects in the North has Ms Flint at 6/1 on.
    6/1 for her still means it's in play, surely, just not even close to being a given for TP.
    Do these odds factor in the fact Tissue Price was a 'multiple screen namer', right here on PB? Hard to see how he could ride out such a dark past in the white heat of a general election campaign.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 726

AndyJS said:

Officially at least aren't most of the seats where UKIP aren't standing because the seat already has a pro-Brexit MP? Which almost exclusively means it has a Tory MP? Which means its essentially safe given how the polls are? Which means that the absence of UKIP won't affect the result?
    They're standing down in quite a few places with Remainer MPs where Tories are second: Norwich South (Lab MP Clive Lewis), North Norfolk (LD MP Norman Lamb), for example.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I'm afraid I don't know, beyond the fact that this clearly isn't the case everywhere: there's been a fair amount of chatter on PB and elsewhere about North Norfolk - in that case, Ukip has stood aside and asked its voters to lend their support to the Tories in order to give Lamb the chop.

In other seats, they may decline to stand because they lack a candidate, a local organisation, the deposit money, or all three.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

PaulM said:

Pulpstar said:

I doubt fox hunting will make it to the Tory manifesto. The last thing they need to do is rack up the leafy shire vote whilst Don Valley is in play.

Don Valley isn't in play though. Even Shadsy who I think has been overly negative on Labour hold prospects in the North has Ms Flint at 6/1 on.
    6/1 for her still means it's in play, surely, just not even close to being a given for TP.
    Do these odds factor in the fact Tissue Price was a 'multiple screen namer', right here on PB? Hard to see how he could ride out such a dark past in the white heat of a general election campaign.
    No one does it quite like you do. :)
  • Options
    Merryn Somerset Webb is such a national treasure.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    kle4 said:

Hope they got more than just one green to stand aside for that deal with the devil.
    What's the point? Do they genuinely believe they have a chance in either?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,149
    PaulM said:

Pulpstar said:

Chance of
    winning
    LAB
    54%
    CON
    42%

All seats have their own individual features.

In Don Valley, for example, Labour would have benefitted in 2015 from the EdM leadership.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

More a split audience, there were cheers about the divisions in Scotland and a question about the neverendum but QT almost always leans Left anyway
This discussion has been closed.