Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The future’s not orange. The Lib Dems look set to miss out

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The future’s not orange. The Lib Dems look set to miss out

Pedants are quick to point out that for Labour to be decimated at the next election, they would need to lose only one in ten seats, while current polling shows them doing far worse than this. So in the interests of accuracy, I record that on 8 June I expect to see Labour crushed, marmalised and eviscerated.  With the Conservatives having established close to a two power standard in most of the polling, we can expect to see swathes of red seats turn blue.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    First!
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Although the Lib Dems increased its share of the vote, where they were up against the Conservatives, the Conservatives must have gained even more (from UKIP?) for Lib Dems to have lost a net 41 seats.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Third!
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897

Although the Lib Dems increased its share of the vote, where they were up against the Conservatives, the Conservatives must have gained even more (from UKIP?) for Lib Dems to have lost a net 41 seats.

For them to have gone backwards with Corbyn leaving Labour so vulnerable is an awful night for them. I can only see it getting worse for the libdems once the moderates oust the far-left.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Tim_B said:

First!

How's the House special election going to play out in GA's 6th?
  • Options
    Thanks for the header, Alastair.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Rob, thanks for the spreadsheet last night and today. Really helped get a feel of what is in store.

Have to say, I don't understand why anyone is caught up on Thrasher's NEV of 38%. Seems pretty clear that the Tories over performed, and hence the current polling, rather than the NEV, is likely to be closer to the truth.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

Excellent article Mr Meeks, many thanks. – Over the past year or so, the Lib Dems have racked up some startling results, most notably in Richmond, but also in many of the by-elections generated by Labour MPs either standing down or falling off the perch. Thursday’s relatively poor local election results was a surprise for many I suspect, as the promised gains failed to materialise. On reflection this does not bode well for them at GE2017 although I still anticipate modest net gains to almost double their present tally of MPs. One thing is for certain IMHO, draping the EU flag around the party’s shoulders has and will again, fail to produce the much hoped for dividends.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

RobD said:

Rob, thanks for the spreadsheet last night and today. Really helped get a feel of what is in store.

Have to say, I don't understand why anyone is caught up on Thrasher's NEV of 38%. Seems pretty clear that the Tories over performed, and hence the current polling, rather than the NEV, is likely to be closer to the truth.
    No problem, I'm a nerd so I enjoyed doing it! The best bit is the change matrix showing who (for example) the Tories gained seats from.

It'd be great if google docs could create a diagram for seats changing hands like the one showing the change in council control in this Guardian article - https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2017/may/04/local-and-mayoral-elections-2017-live-results-tracker
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,788
    Second! Like Diane!
  • Options
    RobD said:

MTimT said:

RobD said:

No problem, I'm a nerd so I enjoyed doing it! The best bit is the change matrix showing who (for example) the Tories gained seats from.

It'd be great if google docs could create a diagram for seats changing hands like the one showing the change in council control in this Guardian article - https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2017/may/04/local-and-mayoral-elections-2017-live-results-tracker
    Excel doesn't do geographic mapping well. I believe there are some plug-ins you can add, but it is still nothing like what is needed for good visual analysis of geographic data.

Actually, just google add ons for this, and look what came up. I guess I need to check this out:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Get-started-with-Power-Map-88A28DF6-8258-40AA-B5CC-577873FB0F4A
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Second! Like Diane!

A bit harsh, her prediction of only 50 Labour losses was almost spot on…
  • Options

Second! Like Diane!

Does she count that high yet?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

RobD said:

MTimT said:

RobD said:

Excel doesn't do geographic mapping well. I believe there are some plug-ins you can add, but it is still nothing like what is needed for good visual analysis of geographic data.

Actually, just google add ons for this, and look what came up. I guess I need to check this out:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Get-started-with-Power-Map-88A28DF6-8258-40AA-B5CC-577873FB0F4A
    Oh, I wasn't thinking of a geographical map (although that'd be cool!). I was more thinking of showing how seats moved from one block into another. Something like this:

http://www.britishelectionstudy.com/custom/uploads/2017/04/remain-sankey.png
  • Options
    Excellent article Mr Meeks!

As usual, when you're not writing about you know what.......
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Second! Like Diane!

Does she count that high yet?
    I meant 9th, when I checked earlier it was 17th......

That was truly heroic...'About 50.....when I checked earlier it was 100...'
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    Yes, a good article. With four and a half weeks to go, the story for Labour v Tory appears already written. That in itself is an almost unprecedented situation. If nothing else changes then we're in for a very boring month with a Tory coronation at the end of it, and every political party will struggle against the Conservatives, including the LibDems. Any other scenario requires some imagination to paint, but the variability for the LibDems probably remains greater than for any other party; certainly for a minor party, given that expectations for UKIP (none), the Greens, PC and even SNP are relatively tightly bounded.

Will Labour politicians and voters meekly spend the next four weeks striding towards the cliff?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,050
    4/1 for 10-15 looks very generous . It's doable if they have a good night, but anything more is very tough though less than 10 is possible. If they get 4-5 the party should quit.
    MTimT said:

RobD said:

Agreed on both points. The lattervwe were warned about not overreacting to when we thought they'd have an even smaller lead.
  • Options

I think I've developed tinnitus... :o
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    A good thread. I note there is no reference to St. Albans. It is where Farron did his photo op yesterday, amongst the adoring Orange Diamonds. I can see the party pouring resources in to this high Remain area, to see if they can win an eye-catching "one against the head".
  • Options

A good thread. I note there is no reference to St. Albans. It is where Farron did his photo op yesterday, amongst the adoring Orange Diamonds. I can see the party pouring resources in to this high Remain area, to see if they can win an eye-catching "one against the head".

They've got reasonable amounts of dosh and presumably at least some of the 50000 new members will help in practical matters, so should have the resources to flood 25 seats with resources (so long as they do it legally, the one fly in the ointment fir the Tories, if one hardly likely to sink them on its own) and pray for the best. If they do double their seats as Farron is wining for, it'll be a fantastic night and pretty much out of nowhere - AM rolling out their lowpercentsge numbers really sets out the challenge.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 912
    Conclusion from Guardian Leading article: "The third is that Labour must raise its campaign game from its current complacency and avoid premature infighting."

When is the right time to start the infighting? Discuss
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

I haven't seen a Meeks "Saturday Special" on the LibDem follicular challenge in Bedfordshire in many a long year.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    This is the ('no tanks...') statement published by Jeremy Corbyn on the party’s local elections performance:

The results were mixed. We lost seats but we are closing the gap on the Conservatives.

http://labourlist.org/2017/05/we-are-closing-the-gap-on-the-tories-corbyn-on-labours-results/
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

This is the ('no tanks...') statement published by Jeremy Corbyn on the party’s local elections performance:

The results were mixed. We lost seats but we are closing the gap on the Conservatives.

http://labourlist.org/2017/05/we-are-closing-the-gap-on-the-tories-corbyn-on-labours-results/

I think they are missing this image at the top of the article: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZOnmBZHsnAM/hqdefault.jpg
  • Options
    Hah, I think I missed the 'no tanks' bit of your post. LOL :D
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,018
    Icarus said:

Conclusion from Guardian Leading article: "The third is that Labour must raise its campaign game from its current complacency and avoid premature infighting."

I think around 2-3 am on Friday June 9.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    From last nights thread re Paul Mason. When tim was on this site as tim... he used to defend Mason iirc.(against the attacks of the PB tories).
    Perhaps even tim didn't realise quite how bonkers he really is.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    IanB2 said:

Yes, the tactic, which I fully expect to see deployed on June 9, is to claim that anything other than total annihilation is better than expected - and an indication that progress is being made.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Is the following a plausible scenario: Labour MPs know that many of them are doomed and have nothing to lose. They are waiting until deadline for nominations have closed and they are officially confirmed as (sole) Labour candidates. They (the 170+ who oppose Corbyn) will then call a press conference and declare that post election they will conduct an election amongst themselves and support a new leader in the House of Commons. Corbyn will never be PM because he will not be able to win a vote of confidence. They will gamble that the Labour Party will back them and if not they will UDI a new party. They will also gamble that they can take enough of their constituency parties with them to fight a viable campaign.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Is the following a plausible scenario: Labour MPs know that many of them are doomed and have nothing to lose. They are waiting until deadline for nominations have closed and they are officially confirmed as (sole) Labour candidates. They (the 170+ who oppose Corbyn) will then call a press conference and declare that post election they will conduct an election amongst themselves and support a new leader in the House of Commons. Corbyn will never be PM because he will not be able to win a vote of confidence. They will gamble that the Labour Party will back them and if not they will UDI a new party. They will also gamble that they can take enough of their constituency parties with them to fight a viable campaign.

Going into a GE with a lame duck leader? A brave move.
  • Options
    Well,

I do take Mr Meeks views seriously - even if he thinks I don't.

But personally I cannot conceive of gains exceeding losses for the Orange Team. For heavens sake they lost more local government seats on Thursday than they gained.

And, whilst they held on to all but one and a half of their county seats in Tim Farron's own constituency hold on is the operative word. The hold on results were so so, but look at Kendal which was Liberal and Labour when Michael Jopling was the MP. A paper candidate got over 700 votes in Kendal Castle, without setting foot in the division.

Also, whilst we were fortunate with our Tory candidate in 2015 this time we have been able to select one of our own, James Airey, a Kirkby Lonsdale lad, went to the same state school as me.

I would have liked to have seen me take my county division and us take two more, but any assumptions that Farron is safe are greatly misplaced. Yes he must be the odds-on bet, but in 1983, 1987 and even 1992 Michael Jopling got well over 10,000 majorities. Of course that was a generation ago but the views of the locals are the same as their parents.

They like Theresa May - and they hate the Lib Dem election material with all its overt nastiness. In this constituency the Lib Dems have always been the nasty party and a lot of the voters know that.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited May 2017

It is a useful look at some of the seat and band markets, and I am pretty bearish on LD prospects under FPTP. There will however be a lot of strong second places, particularly across Shire and suburban England. In these places Corbynism has no credibility. Rebuilding the party was never going to be a quick job.

I think @AlastairMeeks does put a bit too much emphasis on Brexit though. There are a lot of other issues on the national political agenda. Heathrow expansion in West London, May's strange obsession with grammar schools, STP related hospital closures, air polution, public transport, the appalling state of Britain's mental health care. Brexit matters, but is not the only thing that matters.

So, despite being a Leave voting area, I think Lamb will be safe in North Norfolk for example. LDs gained two seats Councillors in his constituency yesterday. All politics is local.

• Options
    Too late, infighting in the Labour party has already started; .....someone once remarked of Morrison that he was his own worst enemy, and Bevin immediately butted in to say "Not while I'm alive, he ain't".
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

Icarus said:

When the exit poll is announced on the 8th.
  • Options
    RobD said:

alex. said:

How the hell could we tell the difference ?
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Following the LibDem’s tuition fees fiasco, their nation recognised that they had been sold a pup and I suspect Farron’s policy on Europe is being greeted with equal suspicion.

He offering something that appears to be legally impossible and it appears to 100% unlikely that he will ever be empowered to produce what he is offering.

Some will undoubtedly support the LibDems as a protest vote but with all of the incoming flak from Junker et al, the electorate at large seem to be adopting a WWII mentality, which will act to counter this.

There is also the problem of Farron himself. In addition to his religiosity and views on gay sex, there is the matter of his regional accent. This won’t necessarily be noticed in his constituency, but I suspect that southern ears may not associate it with leadership.
  • Options

Icarus said:

There'll be a huge queue of senior Labour figures who've spent the last 12 months saying nothing waiting to get on camera
  • Options
    JackW said:

RobD said:

alex. said:

How the hell could we tell the difference ?
    Touche :p
  • Options

Icarus said:

10.01 on Thursday June 8......
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

Following the LibDem’s tuition fees fiasco, their nation recognised that they had been sold a pup and I suspect Farron’s policy on Europe is being greeted with equal suspicion.

He offering something that appears to be legally impossible and it appears to 100% unlikely that he will ever be empowered to produce what he is offering.

Some will undoubtedly support the LibDems as a protest vote but with all of the incoming flak from Junker et al, the electorate at large seem to be adopting a WWII mentality, which will act to counter this.

There is also the problem of Farron himself. In addition to his religiosity and views on gay sex, there is the matter of his regional accent. This won’t necessarily be noticed in his constituency, but I suspect that southern ears may not associate it with leadership.

Mrs May has a southern accent to the rest GB and it doesn't appear to have harmed her one jot.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I don't know what % of the Labour membership voted in the last leader election, but I guess its the silent majority who need to get off their arses and get rid of Corbyn.. either that or , as others say a new party completely... possibly the SDP...
  • Options
    The Greens are now standing down for the LibDems in Richmond and Twickenham, which should help them a little.
  • Options
    On 5Live - Ian Lavery, Labour GE Co-ordinator, on the Burnham no show with Jezza last night :

Nowt to do with me ....

:smiley:

Inability to manage a fun time in an alcoholic beverages manufacturer springs to mind.

• Options
    "They (the 170+ who oppose Corbyn) will then call a press conference and declare that post election they will conduct an election amongst themselves"

I can see a small problem here.

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited May 2017
    Is the use of retreads such as St Vince and Simon H sensible?

High profile so will get above average media attention but associated with all the reasons voters fell out of love with them. A drag on renewal and regeneration and fresh appeal.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Closing the gap. It's an insult when parties cross the line from merely putting on a brave face and positive spin, to twisting the English language like that. It's when you find out how stupid partisan people are at such times. No it's not a purely labour trait, to so ridiculously spin for the brand, but they're the ones at it now.
  • Options
    Off Topic:

In todays Daily Mail

"British motorists will be fined up to £640 for speeding in Europe this summer under a controversial EU law that comes into force tomorrow.
    UK drivers caught by speed cameras in France, the Netherlands and at least 12 other EU countries can be traced by police from those nations for the first time.
    But the system will only work one way because a quirk of the law means Europeans caught speeding in Britain cannot be hunted by UK police."

The article goes on to explain, much lower down, that it is the fault of the UK law, freely made by the UK parliament that we cant prosecute EU drivers who speed.

Its all Europe's fault!!!

• Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Odd that the story includes a picture of bath, on the grounds it's near corsham. Could they not find a picture of the latter or rid the just want a more picturesque image I wonder.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    philiph said:

High profile so will get above average media attention but associated with all the reasons voters fell out of love with them. A drag on renewal and regeneration and fresh appeal.

I'll let you know June 9th.

I can see it depending on the retread - they might have tanked their reputations since.
  • Options
    "We are the party of in." Simple and truthful.

On the basis of the last three national elections (Euro 2014, GE 2015, local 2017) also a losing slogan.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Gadfly said:

Mrs May has a southern accent to the rest GB and it doesn't appear to have harmed her one jot.
    People are prejudiced toward other regional accents?

Though I cannot say I've found Farron's offputting, as a southerner, while admitting accent privilege is a thing. A lot of people would do a double take if they were going into brain surgery and the surgeon had a thick cockney or Liverpudlian accent.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    philiph said:

Rushed candidate selections is inevitable in a snap election. A lot has happened in 2 years and I think these two are fine. Swinson will be a worthwhile return also.
  • Options

Icarus said:

There'll be a huge queue of senior Labour figures who've spent the last 12 months saying nothing waiting to get on camera
    They better hope its not an ok night for Corbyn - I picture all the headbangers probably lined up to criticise Cameron for not winning a majority.
  • Options

It is a useful look at some of the seat and band markets, and I am pretty bearish on LD prospects under FPTP. There will however be a lot of strong second places, particularly across Shire and suburban England. In these places Corbynism has no credibility. Rebuilding the party was never going to be a quick job.

I think @AlastairMeeks does put a bit too much emphasis on Brexit though. There are a lot of other issues on the national political agenda. Heathrow expansion in West London, May's strange obsession with grammar schools, STP related hospital closures, air polution, public transport, the appalling state of Britain's mental health care. Brexit matters, but is not the only thing that matters.

So, despite being a Leave voting area, I think Lamb will be safe in North Norfolk for example. LDs gained two seats Councillors in his constituency yesterday. All politics is local.

All politics is local bodes poorly for your lot then doesn't it?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    The Lib Dems are hard to predict and PB has a particular blind spot due to the boss.

Few predicted the scale of the 2015 massacre. Even now people seem to disbelieve it.

Maybe 8-10 seats is the new normal. At least until Labour recovers sufficiently to do the heavy lifting of taking down the Tories.
  • Options
    alex. said:

If hey so openly defied and indeed revolted Against the leader that way, even if they cannot be removed from ballot papers with the labour brand, surely the party would officially have no choice but to suspend them? ONe or two like woodcock can ignored as recalcitrants, but hundreds saying they will ignore the leader and choose their own is something else.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,475
    Morning all, I think the suggestion that after close of nominations a majority of Labour MPs will disown Corbyn is for the birds. Most of the 170 who despise Corbyn have some nouse and would know that it would make any defeat far worse. I think what is more likely is that Labour MPs simply bury themselves in their constituencies hoping the national picture doesn't get much worse and that they can resist the incoming tsunami. I think the problem Labour are going to have post this election is twofold, firstly they will have a much smaller Parliamentary force which makes opposition harder. Opposition is best carried out with a talented team of front benchers with backup from a relatively sizeable set of backbenchers. Labour may struggle in the next Parliament for either. The second issue they will face is the size of the electoral mountain. June 8th is going to put an awful lot of seats technically and realistically beyond the reach of a usual single election swing. The last thing any Labour MP should want is to make things worse which is why the anti-Corbyn faction will go to ground and hope.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Good morning, everyone.

Good article, Mr. Meeks.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Excellent analytical article. My one caveat would be the SW London seats - I suspect Zac will be back [ unfortunately] and am not convinced even on Twickenham. they will need to get and maintain considerable momentum and I'd expect a fierce fightback from the Tories. Time of course will tell.

Does anyone know the % vote shares yesterday for Scotland?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    It's curious that people are expecting a LD revival when the Tories are stronger than last time.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

Off Topic:

In todays Daily Mail

"British motorists will be fined up to £640 for speeding in Europe this summer under a controversial EU law that comes into force tomorrow.
    UK drivers caught by speed cameras in France, the Netherlands and at least 12 other EU countries can be traced by police from those nations for the first time.
    But the system will only work one way because a quirk of the law means Europeans caught speeding in Britain cannot be hunted by UK police."

The article goes on to explain, much lower down, that it is the fault of the UK law, freely made by the UK parliament that we cant prosecute EU drivers who speed.

So - the UK is now a race-track for any Euro-petrolhead who wants to see if their supercar can really do 200 mph?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017

Icarus said:

Off Topic:

In todays Daily Mail

So - the UK is now a race-track for any Euro-petrolhead who wants to see if their supercar can really do 200 mph?
    We could change the law
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    kle4 said:

JackW said:

Gadfly said:

Though I cannot say I've found Farron's offputting, as a southerner, while admitting accent privilege is a thing. A lot of people would do a double take if they were going into brain surgery and the surgeon had a thick cockney or Liverpudlian accent.
    People tend to like accents that sound educated, but not posh, such as the Edinburgh accent. And some accents, such as Durham and Teesside, or the Western Isles, give an impression of friendliness which other regional accents lack.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,397
    Excellent piece of work Alastair. How you find time to do the day job is a mystery to me.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    kle4 said:

JackW said:

Gadfly said:

Jacob Rees Mogg once unsuccessfully stood for election in Fife. He later said that "I gradually realised that whatever I happened to be speaking about, the number of voters in my favour dropped as soon as I opened my mouth."
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It's curious that people are expecting a LD revival when the Tories are stronger than last time.

The LibDems did revive. Sadly so too did the Tories who are, as you say, their principal opponents. Their GE fate now depends entirely on whether they can rally all the non-Tories behind them, in their key target seats, as they managed to achieve up until 2010.
  • Options

Well,

I do take Mr Meeks views seriously - even if he thinks I don't.

But personally I cannot conceive of gains exceeding losses for the Orange Team. For heavens sake they lost more local government seats on Thursday than they gained.

And, whilst they held on to all but one and a half of their county seats in Tim Farron's own constituency hold on is the operative word. The hold on results were so so, but look at Kendal which was Liberal and Labour when Michael Jopling was the MP. A paper candidate got over 700 votes in Kendal Castle, without setting foot in the division.

Also, whilst we were fortunate with our Tory candidate in 2015 this time we have been able to select one of our own, James Airey, a Kirkby Lonsdale lad, went to the same state school as me.

I would have liked to have seen me take my county division and us take two more, but any assumptions that Farron is safe are greatly misplaced. Yes he must be the odds-on bet, but in 1983, 1987 and even 1992 Michael Jopling got well over 10,000 majorities. Of course that was a generation ago but the views of the locals are the same as their parents.

They like Theresa May - and they hate the Lib Dem election material with all its overt nastiness. In this constituency the Lib Dems have always been the nasty party and a lot of the voters know that.

I hope you get a visit from Theresa May. Just for the hill walking, of course....

I think after the election, analysis will show Theresa May has done especially well amongst former LibDem voting ladies of a certain age. Yesterday was about pot-holes. June 8th is who do you want steering the country through the shoals of Brexit and beyond. Through happy circumstance - or crafty design - the Prime Minister appears to be striking just the right tone.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

Has it ever stopped?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

The LibDems did revive. Sadly so too did the Tories who are, as you say, their principal opponents. Their GE fate now depends entirely on whether they can rally all the non-Tories behind them, in their key target seats, as they managed to achieve up until 2010.
    Correct. I was however unimpressed by Farron's 'angry man' and 'nasty Tory' jibes yesterday and he was equally vitriolic against Labour. The feeling may be genuine but it makes him look slightly unhinged. Rather similar to the angry Corbyn we sometimes get. Pit that against May's relative calmness except when talking about Juncker and it's not a good luck. Further the emphasis on Europe means he gives a strong anti-British impression much of the time and I don't think that helps except among a very narrow section of the electorate.
  • Options
    To help set the tone for Brexit negotiations - opens in the UK 21 July:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5013056/videoplayer/vi3012802841
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Icarus said:

Has it ever stopped?
    Well they lowered from boiling over into infighting into a gentle simmer, but it'll still scald you.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Icarus said:

Has it ever stopped?
    Labour's problems go way deeper than Corbyn - he makes a landslide more likely but their basic positioning on the electoral spectrum is too far from the centre to prevent a moderate Tory majority. Most of their MPs and a clear majority of the membership are badly out of touch with the voters and actively hostile to the one former leader who showed them how to win big.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    For Labour, the local election results were a disaster. Party supporters are shocked and angry. And they have every right to be. Because there is no question where the blame lies.

The electorate, quite frankly, is guilty of blatant anti-Corbyn bias.

Ever since he became Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn has had to put up with the most appalling treatment from voters. Again and again they have rubbished his views, sneered at his appearance and accused him of incompetence.

The time has come to say: enough is enough. To put it bluntly, the public need to get out of the Westminster bubble and start listening to Labour party members. Jeremy Corbyn has an overwhelming mandate, and the public should respect it, and unite behind his leadership. Constant criticism by voters does nothing but undermine him.

Sadly, these latest results show that the electorate will stop at nothing to damage Jeremy Corbyn....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2017/05/06/electorate-guilty-blatant-anti-corbyn-bias/
  • Options
    And in another echo of the 1980s, with an impotent Labour Party, the Archbishop of Canterbury becomes the effective leader of the opposition:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39822355
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2017
    Fife NE ought to be a LD target. Does anyone know how they did there in the locals? Also Cheadle might be a possibility.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Scott_P said:

For Labour, the local election results were a disaster. Party supporters are shocked and angry. And they have every right to be. Because there is no question where the blame lies.

The electorate, quite frankly, is guilty of blatant anti-Corbyn bias.

Ever since he became Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn has had to put up with the most appalling treatment from voters. Again and again they have rubbished his views, sneered at his appearance and accused him of incompetence.

The time has come to say: enough is enough. To put it bluntly, the public need to get out of the Westminster bubble and start listening to Labour party members. Jeremy Corbyn has an overwhelming mandate, and the public should respect it, and unite behind his leadership. Constant criticism by voters does nothing but undermine him.

Sadly, these latest results show that the electorate will stop at nothing to damage Jeremy Corbyn....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2017/05/06/electorate-guilty-blatant-anti-corbyn-bias/

It's a by now familiar joke, but it is still cutting and funny, though the punchline, should it come, on June 8th won't leave many laughing who value opposition. And frankly too many in Labour even now act like Corbyn's mandate as a leader should inure him from criticism for the poor showing (when even if not the cause he is not fixing the problem), as though poor election results don't matter if you have a member mandate.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727

I've a few quid on LibDems comeback in Eastleigh, my neighbouring constituency (at 5/1).

Keith House @CllrKeithHouse
    Lib Dems win all seven County seats in Eastleigh constituency #Mike4Eastleigh #Lib Dems on the up!
    2:18 AM - 5 May 2017 · Eastleigh, England
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Thanks to @AlastairMeeks for the above. I'm in agreement with the 10-15 seat forecast, and also (for the most part) the potential wins and banana skins indicated. I still remain to be convinced about East Dunbartonshire, consider Southport to be far more likely to be lost than North Norfolk, and I think the Lib Dems have a strong chance in Lewes and a reasonable one in Fife North East, but overall a good summary.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Have Rallings/Thrasher done their extrapolation of local elections to NEV?
  • Options
    I think historically the Lib Dems have done well when the Tories are weak. Their glory days were under Blair when the Tories were getting the kind of pasting that Labour now looks set for.

In Scotland it was the former Tory shire seats that formed the backbone of their strength and indeed the starting point for the SNP surge which is obviously another complication for them in seeking to recover.

When the Tories are rampant then life gets tough for Lib Dems who always seem more attractive to disaffected moderates than lefties. What we saw on Thursday is the Lib Dem vote going up but the Tory vote going up more on the back of the UKIP collapse. It is quite hard to see the GE being that different and I expect them to recover no more than a small handful of the seats they lost to Cameron with real possibilities of losses the other way.

The Lib Dems will recover when the Tories start to falter. Until then they need to just hang in there and hope. 10-15 is a narrow range and for me the risk is more on the downside than the up.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,315
    edited May 2017
    Icarus said:

Of course there's a right time for infighting. It's sufficiently far before an election that the damage done by the infighting might reasonably be outweighed by the benefit of change.

Tories had to do it to ditch the disastrous IDS, and achieved a decent result in 2005 because of it. It also won them the 1992 election - they were going down to defeat until Heseltine intervened, in my view.

For Labour, there will have to be infighting on and beyond 9 June if they are to have any chance of recovery in 2022. If there was a serious way to ditch Corbyn in the next few days, the time for infighting would be now... but there isn't, and wise Labour MPs just need to keep their heads down and rally their local troops.

• Options

But where's Andy?

@DPJHodges: First he publicly praises Corbyn for helping him win votes. Then he does a runner, and briefs against him. Classic Andy Burnham.

https://twitter.com/trumptonlabour/status/860633606892466177
  • Options
    I've said before, I think the timing of the General Election was aimed squarely at making Labour face up to the folly of offering Corbyn as a serious candidate to be Prime Minister who could deliver the best deal on Brexit, but a happy bolt-on was that the timing was awful for the LibDems too. All they have is STOP BREXIT!!!! There has been no development of a breadth of other policies that the public associate with them. The notion that their empty vessel would be a magnet for millions of frustrated Remain Tories was just laughable.

They have not used Corbyn as a case for them being an alternative Sensible Left offering. They have a leader who has not broken through with the public (I have seen more of Clegg on the media in recent weeks than Farron). His "I'm a bit of a Eurosceptic too" on Marr was just risible, coming from the arch-Europhile. But it was a cack-handed acknowledgement of how badly the Brexit position goes down in the SW. The results in the locals down here show just how far adrift the LibDems mindset of Mark Senior was when they were crowing that they would sweep all before them. Take control of Devon again my arse!

The LibDems may make the odd gain, but probably have the odd set-back too. They are currently a side-show. Being equal handed against both large party is not the way to go. One of their opponents is very strong right now, one very very weak. It doesn't take a strategic genius to work out where their efforts should be focussed if they want to be a force again.

• Options
    What an endorsement!

@bbcnickrobinson: "He is leader of Labour Party & will continue to be...not all views of him are negative" Campaign coordinator @IanLaveryMP on @BBCr4today
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,903
    edited May 2017
    If one held an enquiry into who was responsible for the death of the Labour Party the first people to be exonerated would be their sitting MPs.

They knew within six months that Jeremy Corbyn and his clique were going to bring electoral disaster and they knew they had but one chance to reverse what would be an electoral mauling. They had to pass a vote of no confidence and resign en masse.

However thanks to the new procedure for electing leaders which had been introduced by Ed Miliband it meant that in the event of the leader being a sociopath the vote of three quarters of the MPs could be ignored and in this case that's what happened.

1900-2017.

The Labour Party

R.I.P

'You Gave Us The NHS'

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

I've a few quid on LibDems comeback in Eastleigh, my neighbouring constituency (at 5/1).

Keith House @CllrKeithHouse
    Lib Dems win all seven County seats in Eastleigh constituency #Mike4Eastleigh #Lib Dems on the up!
    2:18 AM - 5 May 2017 · Eastleigh, England
    In 2015 the combined vote of the Conservatives and UKIP in Eastleigh was 58% of the vote. The constituency voted for Leave. The Lib Dems took only a quarter of the vote in 2015.

5/1 on the Lib Dems does not look enticing to me.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    edited May 2017
    Good article from A.Meeks, but he may be a tad optimistic. He's right about potential targets for the LDs, but it will a good GE2015 for the LDs if they win more than 12 seats. I expect that the LDs and Lab will have vote shares in GE2017 to be no more than 3% away from those in GE2015 - say 10% and 29% respectively. Will the loss of 70+ seats lead to Corbyn going, or will a loss of <10% of vote share be sufficient to keep him in place - who knows?

However, the collapse of UKIP (from 13% to <5%), with the Tories going from 37% to >45%) will result in a landslide victory under FPTP (over 400 seats), in the way that the SNP benefitted from in GE2015 north of the border when they won 50% of the Scottish votes.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,278
    Gadfly said:

kle4 said:

JackW said:

Gadfly said:

Jacob Rees Mogg once unsuccessfully stood for election in Fife. He later said that "I gradually realised that whatever I happened to be speaking about, the number of voters in my favour dropped as soon as I opened my mouth."
    That could very easily relate to the content as well as the articulation.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,087
  • Options
    Roger said:

If one held an enquiry into who was responsible for the death of the Labour Party the first people to be exonerated would be their sitting MPs.

They knew within six months that Jeremy Corbyn and his clique were going to bring electoral disaster and they knew they had but one chance to reverse what would be an electoral mauling. They had to pass a vote of no confidence and resign en masse.

However thanks to the new procedure for electing leaders which had been introduced by Ed Miliband it meant that in the event of the leader being a sociopath the vote of three quarters of the MPs could be ignored and in this case that's what happened.

1900-2017.

The Labour Party

R.I.P

'You Gave Us The NHS'

It's going nowhere, Roger. No one is replacing them, therefore they will rise again. We'll see how long it takes.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    alex. said:

The battle will take place after the election. And it will be a fierce one. The far left know that if Corbyn loses the leadership contest that follows his refusal to resign they will be locked out of ever getting close to the top ever again. Moderates know that if they lose out, the game is up for them and they will have to leave.

• Options
    malcolmg said:
    Tory surge? You're pulling my leg, aren't you Malc? :D
  • Options
    GarzaGarza Posts: 45
    Looking at twitter this morning, it seems that all the Corbyn supporters are blaming the public for not voting for them. If you have done politics, it can be an easy trap to fall into - but the electorate are always right, even when they are wrong lol - they are always right.

The left are falling into the trap of political martyrdom, "We are right, why can't the stupid public see that!".

Rookie mistake and typical of ideologues.
  • Options
    Meanwhile on Twitter, the Zoomer whinefest continues...

"Why will the biased BBC not report losing seats and control of councils as the major triumph it clearly was?"

And this is a TREMENDOUS idea...

@farrochie: @LeanneWood @BBCWales @Plaid_Cymru @LeanneWood - you need a WingsOverWales. Scotland has #liedetector @WingsScotland
This discussion has been closed.