Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The spread markets continue to point to CON 100+ majority

Comments

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,365
    edited May 2017
    Floater said:

Floater said:
    Don't forget the reference letter for the ISIS fund raiser...so he could get released for Christmas.

Just one of these kind of stories is normally enough to do for a politician. Remember, Osborne's career was nearly taken out by deciding to have a single dinner with a Russian metal magnate.
    It always made me scratch my head it was such a huge problem for Osborne, but not for Mandelson?

Also, why the feck would an Isis fund raiser care about xmas?
    Well that is what Jezza put in his letter to the courts....to be allowed release for Christmas to see his family....the man's a f##king moron.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    edited May 2017
    I hope some of you managed to get on the Lib Dems in Manchester Withington at 6/1.

I didn't and now it's 7/2.

Still a good bet though.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    edited May 2017

dr_spyn said:

It appears that Neil Coyle MP hasn't time for McDonnell's behaviour this afternoon.

https://twitter.com/coyleneil/status/859104235065135106

Our candidate to run the British economy is an extremist, lunatic shitebag.

Vote Labour.
    And that is a kind description. McMao is far worse than Jahadi Jez. Jahadi Jez is moronic idiot stuck in the 1970s who won't change his views for anybody. McMao will bend to sound more reasonable, when in fact is far more extreme. He is a self admitted entrist into the Labour Party.
    Seems like the progressive alliance should find him a suitable target to try to unseat. Were his label different.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799

dr_spyn said:

It appears that Neil Coyle MP hasn't time for McDonnell's behaviour this afternoon.

https://twitter.com/coyleneil/status/859104235065135106

Our candidate to run the British economy is an extremist, lunatic shitebag.

Vote Labour.
    And that is a kind description. McMao is far worse than Jahadi Jez. Jahadi Jez is moronic idiot stuck in the 1970s who won't change his views for anybody. McMao will bend to sound more reasonable, when in fact is far more extreme. He is a self admitted entrist into the Labour Party.
    And remember there are idiots in other parties who want to form a "Progressive Alliance" with Labour.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    SeanT said:

dr_spyn said:

SeanT said:

Jesus. Look at the state of this. To drive the point home, the equivalent is Chancellor Philip Hammond, at a political rally, standing under a swastika.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/859128651509530624

Sadly this won't prove a knockout blow. The public has an unfortunate tendency to indulge Communists as unworldly eccentrics, rather than being regarded as the vile counterparts of Fascists that they actually are.
    The public has an unfortunate tendency to indulge Communists as unworldly eccentrics, rather than being regarded as the vile accomplices of Fascists that they actually are.

Poland September 1939, NKVD and Gestapo exchanged of political prisoners.
    If only Churchill had known that, and about the Holodomor and the show trials and the Gulags and Katyn before he went full bromance on J.V.
    What an utterly ridiculous statement. We had to defeat Hitler. He was the greater evil - and the greater threat to us. As Churchill said, he would have allied with Satan to defeat Nazism.

Pfff.
    Tbf when Winnie went tongue up the arse, it wasn't half measures.

'It is very fortunate for Russia in her agony to have this great rugged war chief at her head. He is a man of massive outstanding personality, suited to the sombre and stormy times in which his life has been cast; a man of inexhaustible courage and will-power and a man direct and even blunt in speech, which, having been brought up in the House of Commons, I do not mind at all, especially when I have something to say of my own. Above all, he is a man with that saving sense of humour which is of high importance to all men and all nations, but particularly to great men and great nations. Stalin also left upon me the impression of a deep, cool wisdom and a complete absence of illusions of any kind. I believe I made him feel that we were good and faithful comrades in this war – but that, after all, is a matter which deeds not words will prove.'
    edited May 2017

Hamas has started detoxifying itself it seems:

https://twitter.com/FRANCE24/status/859130339410575360

I wonder if they think gay sex is a sin?

Like Maggie you mean? No. I'm sure they're more enlightened than she was
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    AnneJGP said:

BigRich said:

AnneJGP said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

I see Verhofstadt and Macron are coming behind the idea of reallocating the seats of UK MEPs to Europe wide elections, presumably by PR (? top up seats) that would seem a very good way of building the European Parliament as a democracy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/27/european-union-may-create-new-class-supranational-meps-brexit/

There is not, and can never be, a European demos, willing and able to instruct the ruling classes. That's why we Left.
    There isn't a Europe Demos, or is there likely to be In the short term, but I would not say never, - Never say Never! It will just tack a shared traumatic experience, e.g. a war in which they are all on the same side.

Personally I'm not a fan of war, and don't know what else would have the same effect, maybe living under the same brutal dictator.
    Well, Brexit might. It isn't so much a war as a common 'enemy' even if it's restricted to words.

If the people of the EU countries do see the UK as betraying the great project that has benefited them all hugely, we might become a sufficient 'enemy' to cause the single European demos to emerge.
    LOL, I suppose, that Brexit could help that Demos emerge, but it will still be a long slow proses without a hot war. Ironically the UK leaving may help English grow to be seen as a neutral language, and become the Da-Facto language of the EU.
    LOL. That would be ironic.

How does one say 'Woe, woe, and thrice woe' in French?

About 4 or 5 years ago, I was dating a Dutch student studying in this country, who, unsurprisingly, had a lot of EU friends, German, Spanish, Austrian and some others. It was the time of the Greek bailout crises, and we were in a bar, I made a simple joke about he Euro, and it did not go down well, at all, with any of the 10-12 EU nationals in our group. It was quite strange to realise I had hit a nearv with so many people all at once. But I still not think this is a Demos, without a common language, and with different cultural backgrounds.
  • Floater said:

Floater said:
    Don't forget the reference letter for the ISIS fund raiser...so he could get released for Christmas.

Just one of these kind of stories is normally enough to do for a politician. Remember, Osborne's career was nearly taken out by deciding to have a single dinner with a Russian metal magnate.
    It always made me scratch my head it was such a huge problem for Osborne, but not for Mandelson?

Well that is what Jezza put in his letter to the courts....the man's a f##king moron.
    I do think Corbyn is just actually genuinely thick, with the type of simple and insular 'cause/bandwagon' politics you often see in student activism. He has never had to grow up.

McDonnell is a different creature and far more unpleasant.

Part of me would like to see a 1997 style wipeout of these pillocks, but the problem with the Toytown Trots that are now in charge is that they won't honourably resign, but just use it as an excuse for a consolidation of power with the rump of MPs that will be left standing. Many centrist MPs will feel the voter ire at the ballot box, but the dismal Labour offering won't be their doing.

• nunununu Posts: 6,024

ha!

Floater said:

Floater said:

Well that is what Jezza put in his letter to the courts....the man's a f##king moron.
    I do think Corbyn is just actually genuinely thick, with the type of simple and insular 'cause/bandwagon' politics you often see in student activism. He has never had to grow up.

Part of me would like to see a 1997 style wipeout of these pillocks, but the problem with the Toytown Trots that are now in charge is that they won't honourably resign, but just use it as an excuse for a consolidation of power with the rump of MPs that will be left standing. Many centrist MPs will feel the voter ire at the ballot box, but the dismal Labour offering won't be their doing.

As I have said a couple of times on here. This GE is a fine balance, I don't want Kim Jong May to have some crazy majority, I don't care which party your support it is never a good idea. But if it is too close Corbyn and his mob will be able to hang on and continue to install dangerous nutters throughout the party and chances of getting a sensible centrist / slightly left of centre party in the near future is dramatically reduced.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    BigRich said:

About 4 or 5 years ago, I was dating a Dutch student studying in this country, who, unsurprisingly, had a lot of EU friends, German, Spanish, Austrian and some others. It was the time of the Greek bailout crises, and we were in a bar, I made a simple joke about he Euro, and it did not go down well, at all, with any of the 10-12 EU nationals in our group. It was quite strange to realise I had hit a nearv with so many people all at once. But I still not think this is a Demos, without a common language, and with different cultural backgrounds.

I think some of this British angst about what is and isn't a demos comes from the fact that by default we think of a single central body whose writ runs as far as it pleases. This forces us to think of Westminster as a kind of national parish council where everyone is alike. There is enough cultural similarity between all of the current EU for a common political layer to be sustainable.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @hendopolis: TELEGRAPH: EU plots to block May's deal on expats #tomorrowspaperstoday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/859147762990022656/photo/1
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,207
    Roger said:

How many gays did Maggie lob off of tall buildings?

• ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Scott_P said:

@hendopolis: TELEGRAPH: EU plots to block May's deal on expats #tomorrowspaperstoday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/859147762990022656/photo/1

Not really a surprise, they've turned it down once already.
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,944
    BigRich said:

AnneJGP said:

BigRich said:

AnneJGP said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

I see Verhofstadt and Macron are coming behind the idea of reallocating the seats of UK MEPs to Europe wide elections, presumably by PR (? top up seats) that would seem a very good way of building the European Parliament as a democracy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/27/european-union-may-create-new-class-supranational-meps-brexit/

There is not, and can never be, a European demos, willing and able to instruct the ruling classes. That's why we Left.
    There isn't a Europe Demos, or is there likely to be In the short term, but I would not say never, - Never say Never! It will just tack a shared traumatic experience, e.g. a war in which they are all on the same side.

Personally I'm not a fan of war, and don't know what else would have the same effect, maybe living under the same brutal dictator.
    Well, Brexit might. It isn't so much a war as a common 'enemy' even if it's restricted to words.

If the people of the EU countries do see the UK as betraying the great project that has benefited them all hugely, we might become a sufficient 'enemy' to cause the single European demos to emerge.
    LOL, I suppose, that Brexit could help that Demos emerge, but it will still be a long slow proses without a hot war. Ironically the UK leaving may help English grow to be seen as a neutral language, and become the Da-Facto language of the EU.

That's interesting. Clearly not there yet, but it does sound as though the seeds are there. That's very encouraging. (I may have voted Leave but I still want the EU to be a success for the people of Europe as well as for the political classes.)
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited May 2017
    Roger said:

Tim Farron song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRHetRTOD1Q
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Floater said:

Roger said:

How many gays did Maggie lob off of tall buildings?

She employed Portillo and Parris in her office IIRC before 1979 election.
    When people still use Maggie godsdamned Thatcher to attempt to score points, clearly we can expect to be arguing about Brexit in 2046. Worst of it is I see no end to the Maggie stuff, since people will undoubtedly use her as a comparison, positive and negative, with TMay.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442

Floater said:

Floater said:

As I have said a couple of times on here. This GE is a fine balance, I don't want Kim Jong May to have some crazy majority, I don't care which party your support it is never a good idea. But if it is too close Corbyn and his mob will be able to hang on and continue to install dangerous nutters throughout the party and chances of getting a sensible centrist / slightly left of centre party in the near future is dramatically reduced.
    The Tories aren't going to let May get the "Kim Jong May" mentality, they'd quite happily be government and opposition at once!
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

AnneJGP said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

The EU will treat the UK differently to any other third country precisely because we have chosen to leave their club.

They are so focused on making an example of the UK, doing whatever is necessary to ensure that Brexit cannot be seen a success, that they've given almost no thought at all as to what they want the long-term future of UK-EU relations to look like.

They will continue to use phrases like "firm and fair", and stress this isn't "punishment" but the natural consequence of a member state leaving the EU, but everyone knows it isn't true.
    If we said to the EU, "so no ECJ and no payments, what relationship do you want?"
    They say "free movement" "Off the table"
    "You pay us" "Off the table"
    "EU Law prevails" "Off the table."
    UK says "Let's look at what we should both want, Mr EU:
    1. Free trade in goods (both parties' interests, but more so EU given trade balance)
    2. Freeish trade in services (both parties' interests, but more so UK given trade balance)
    3. EU access to UK fish (EU interest)
    4. Good security and defence relationship (both interest, but more so Baltic states)"
    "Security and defence are off the table" says the EU. "OK" says UK "No biggy"
    "We want FTA and your fish, no UK access on services, and you pay us for the privilege"
    "Why would we do such a deal? No, we give you FTA and fish, you give us something on services, no payments. Win-win"
    "But it's not win-lose, so no thank you"
    Diamond Brexit it is.
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    kle4 said:

When people still use Maggie godsdamned Thatcher to attempt to score points, clearly we can expect to be arguing about Brexit in 2046. Worst of it is I see no end to the Maggie stuff, since people will undoubtedly use her as a comparison, positive and negative, with TMay.

Maggie is the new Hitler. Now she needs a law about references to her.
    Radcliffe, meanwhile, pointed out that, if she was also stripped of her European 10,000m record, it would go to Elvan Abeylegesse, the Turkish athlete who was recently stripped of her 2007 world championship 10,000m silver medal for doping.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/01/paula-radcliffe-jonathan-edwards-could-lose-world-european-athletics-records

Seb Coe really is a tw@t...
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Most important question tonight. Did he hit the black?
    tlg86 said:

Another post Brexit hate crime incident?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,022
    10,000 more police officers proposed by Corbyn by reversing last years capital gains tax relief.

Has anyone costed all these promises.

He is a world champIon at spending other peoples money - at this rate he will give everyone a bit of pocket money as they surrender their wages to Corbyn

tlg86 said:

Another post Brexit hate crime incident?
    LOL! Not quite. I think the ref in the snooker made a big mistake by calling a foul against Selby when rolling the cue ball behind the black. I think it touched.
    tlg86 said:

Looked like a foul in real time but on the replay the cue ball clearly rocked back, which it can't have done without hitting the black. But impossible for the ref to be sure.
    MTimT said:

There is an 80s documentary on More4 right now. Maggie just featured
  • SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Jesus. Look at the state of this. To drive the point home, the equivalent is Chancellor Philip Hammond, at a political rally, standing under a swastika.

Sadly this won't prove a knockout blow. The public has an unfortunate tendency to indulge Communists as unworldly eccentrics, rather than being regarded as the vile counterparts of Fascists that they actually are.

It's not a knockout blow but it's a sickening uppercut. This is Britain's supposed new Chancellor, standing under the symbol of Mao, Stalin, Marx, Lenin, Pol Pot, the Gulags, the Berlin Wall, and Hugo fucking Chavez.

It's pretty bloody damaging.

Plus the Baath party flag, for added spice. Nice.
    The only problem with this is unless it is disseminated by the media, it means nothing. They are extremely left wing but does the country realise this? Not so sure rock solid Labour supporters understand what they will be voting for at this point of time. Maybe the manifesto will highlight Labour's plans but they could have learnt the lesson of 1983 and keep it vague? An interesting question is will the Labour party put together the longest suicide note in history mark II?
    Given that the tweet came from the Sun's political correspondent I guess they are on it. Likewise the Daily Mail, Telegraph, etc.
    When I see something like this, I have to wonder whether McDonnell is in fact a closet Tory. Possibly worth 2 or 3 marginal seats off Labour's GE2017 total seats tally.
    Just about every leader over the past 60 years would have sacked him for this, shadow CoE or not, but I doubt he'll receive even the mildest reprimand.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962

Still denies the right of Israel to exist, AIUI.
    Seems to be significant , but I don't know how sincere. There's no reason to expect any Arab to think Israel has a "right to exist" rather than simply that it does exist and is a valid state. Recognition of a right to existence is not a requirement that exists anywhere else. At the end of the Second World War, Pomerania, which has always German, became part of Poland. Most Germans accept that Pomerania is now Polish, but they have never been required to agree to Pomerania being Polish by right.
  • Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Disraeli said:

The UKIP vote will collapse at the General Election because quite simply there will be relatively few candidates to vote for!

Many UKIP voters will arrive at the polling station and have to make a quick decision on who to vote for in the polling booth itself. I agree with most commentators on this. The main beneficiaries will be the "Strong and Stable" Conservative Party.

Regressive alliance xD
    And yet you were declaring yourself on here as a Tory/Kipper less than 2 years ago.
    I've been through some changes

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/nintchdbpict0003192628403-e1493334072282.jpg?strip=all&w=713&quality=100&quality=100 :o
    Would that be on account of Mrs Pulpstar's persuasive powers?
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,098
    edited May 2017
    MTimT said:

AnneJGP said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

The EU will treat the UK differently to any other third country precisely because we have chosen to leave their club.

They are so focused on making an example of the UK, doing whatever is necessary to ensure that Brexit cannot be seen a success, that they've given almost no thought at all as to what they want the long-term future of UK-EU relations to look like.

They will continue to use phrases like "firm and fair", and stress this isn't "punishment" but the natural consequence of a member state leaving the EU, but everyone knows it isn't true.
    If we said to the EU, "so no ECJ and no payments, what relationship do you want?"
    1. Free trade in goods (both parties' interests, but more so EU given trade balance)
    2. Freeish trade in services (both parties' interests, but more so UK given trade balance)
    4. Good security and defence relationship (both interest, but more so Baltic states)"
    "We want FTA and your fish, no UK access on services, and you pay us for the privilege"
    "Why would we do such a deal? No, we give you FTA and fish, you give us something on services, no payments. Win-win"
    Diamond Brexit it is.
    I never rated the EU as a sound decision making body before we voted - but it is clear from how they've reacted since we decided to Leave that their inability to accept dissent and the possibility that what they are might not be popular makes them utterly contemptible to a nation with our history, culture and outward trading situation.

Radcliffe, meanwhile, pointed out that, if she was also stripped of her European 10,000m record, it would go to Elvan Abeylegesse, the Turkish athlete who was recently stripped of her 2007 world championship 10,000m silver medal for doping.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/01/paula-radcliffe-jonathan-edwards-could-lose-world-european-athletics-records

That's utterly ridiculous. So all historic records are wiped out.
    On a serious note, the situation in SA looks very dodgy at the minute.

South Africa's Jacob Zuma abandons rally after being booed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-39770620
    glw said:

Pretty much as the conditions for a valid WR won't be matched by anybody pre a certain date.

tlg86 said:

Looked like a foul in real time but on the replay the cue ball clearly rocked back, which it can't have done without hitting the black. But impossible for the ref to be sure.
    I think the ref didn't take up a good position. He suddenly realised that Selby might have underhit it and tried to move but it was too late.
  • Arthur_PennyArthur_Penny Posts: 198
    MTimT said:

kle4 said:

Cole's law?

10,000 more police officers proposed by Corbyn by reversing last years capital gains tax relief.

He is a world champIon at spending other peoples money - at this rate he will give everyone a bit of pocket money as they surrender their wages to Corbyn

If Labour wins it won't matter if they have costed their proposals, their plans will do immense damage to the economy. We won't be hiring 10,000 more police.
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    MTimT said:

kle4 said:

the shifting moral zeitgeist

https://youtu.be/uwz6B8BFkb4
  • ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    MTimT said:

AnneJGP said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

Diamond Brexit it is.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465

That sounds a good idea. Direct elections to the Commission will be the turning point somewhere down the line.
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I think the ref didn't take up a good position. He suddenly realised that Selby might have underhit it and tried to move but it was too late.
    Agreed. But I'm not sure it would have helped, he'd still have been looking to see if the black moved and I don't think he'd have been able to tell.

It's not quite at all-time classic status, Selby looks good for an 18-15 or 18-16 win.
    SeanT said:

AnneJGP said:

BigRich said:

AnneJGP said:

BigRich said:

AnneJGP said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

There isn't a El dictator.

About 4f the 10-12 EU nationals in our group. It was quite strange to realise I had hit a nearv with so many people all at once. But I still not think this is a Demos, without a common language, and with different cultural backgrounds.
    That's interesting. Clearly not there yet, but it does sound as though the seeds are there. That's very encouraging. (I may have voted Leave but I still want the EU to be a success for the people of Europe as well as for the political classes.)
    Turnout levels in the EU Parliament elections. Declining horribly over time. Now down into the 40s.

http://cdn.static-economist.com/sites/default/files/images/print-edition/20140517_FBC890.png

It's not happening. An elite percentage of largely English-speaking Erasmus students feel *European*, yes; most Europeans pay lip service, but in reality it's all about nation and language.

at the risk of provoking howls of outrage, might I suggest that ever increasing levels of immigrant Muslims is not going to help
    glw said:

If Labour wins it won't matter if they have costed their proposals, their plans will do immense damage to the economy. We won't be hiring 10,000 more police.
    His planes will crash the economy, and quickly, but he will find money for 10,000 more police, and probably more than that, Look at Zimbabwe or Venezwala, as the economy collapse, he will need them to control people, control the riots. He will need them to keep steeling, I mean taxing, other people, until he eventually runs out of their money to spend.
    @hendopolis: GUARDIAN: May fights accusation of botched and humiliating start to Brexit talks #tomorrowspaperstoday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/859156987673792512/photo/1
    MTimT said:

kle4 said:

Maggie is the litmus test to determine the presence of myopia
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    But I thought BMW and Mercedes et al would force the EU to give us a good deal.

I assume that's another Leaver piece of bollocks to be added to the list then eh?
  • MTimT said:

kle4 said:

Maggie is the new Hitler.

Does Ken know?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440

glw said:

Pretty much as the conditions for a valid WR won't be matched by anybody pre a certain date.
    We'll all know who the REAL record holders are though -

El Gerrouj, Radcliffe, Sotomayor...
  • BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    Scott_P said:

@hendopolis: GUARDIAN: May fights accusation of botched and humiliating start to Brexit talks #tomorrowspaperstoday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/859156987673792512/photo/1

And there I was thinking the Guardian was a Pro Conservative Brexit cheerleader, but now they're having doubts I may change my mind...

You're too soft on him. Lord Snooty has always been a cxnt
    isam said:

MTimT said:

kle4 said:

the shifting moral zeitgeist

https://youtu.be/uwz6B8BFkb4
    He's always entertaining and of course his points are very well illustrated.
    MTimT said:

kle4 said:

Should it be a criminal offence to deny Margret Thatcher privatised businesses?
  • peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,956
    edited May 2017

Diamond Brexit it is.

The EU Big Wigs my prefer to avoid the use of the term punishment, but punishment it will be seen as being, if for no other reason than pour encourager les autres
    It's disappointing that our so-called European friends to whom we have gifted so many billions of pounds over the years want to treat us so viciously and cruelly .... they would be well advised to remember that the decision to leave their club was a vote by the ordinary British people rather than by its politicians who were generally in favour of remaining, which made the leave vote in the referendum vote all the more convincing.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    A report, presented without comment (except: Juncker is a self-confessed liar, after all):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/01/revealed-eu-has-secretly-plotting-block-theresa-may-eu-migrants/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"But what surprised Mr Juncker the most, according to the leaked account, was Mrs May’s belief that a deal guaranteeing the rights of EU citizens in the UK and UK citizens living in the EU could be agreed by the end of June. He suggested Mrs May was “underestimating” the complexity of the deal.

"However Mr Juncker cannot have been “astonished” because Mrs May said exactly the same thing to Donald Tusk on April 6, and an account of that meeting was briefed to top-level EU officials on April 11, according to an official diplomatic record of the meeting seen by The Telegraph.

"Piotr Serafin, chief of staff to Mr Tusk, briefed all the officials present from the EU 27, including those from the European Commission, that Mrs May had made clear the UK would seek a deal on expat rights “probably as early as June”."

Now, either the Telegraph is straightforwardly lying about the documents from early April, or the second-hand account of the meeting deliberately leaked by the EU side to the German press is, at least in part, fictitious. I leave readers to make up their minds as to which of these scenarios is most plausible.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    edited May 2017
    Was that John McDonnell photo taken today, during the election campaign? I know that he used routinely to speak at these terrorist/murderous dictator supporting events, but I thought he was trying to keep that quiet now.
  • OUTOUT Posts: 569
    BigRich said:

MTimT said:

kle4 said:

Should it be a criminal offence to deny Margret Thatcher privatised businesses?
    If you see Sid, tell him.
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,780
    MTimT said:

Diamond Brexit it is.

You could add:
    5. Continuation of EU wide agreements encouraging cross border movement such as EHIC, cheap air travel, mobile phone roaming etc. (both parties' interest, but more so EU given their reliance on UK tourism)

Genuinely, I am shocked as to the EU's negotiating stance to date. It seems to be based on a cross between an element of bluff, a complete misreading of a weak hand, and a willingness or even desire to reach a lose-lose outcome even though they lose more, pour encourager les autres.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759

SeanT said:

dr_spyn said:

SeanT said:

The public has an unfortunate tendency to indulge Communists as unworldly eccentrics, rather than being regarded as the vile accomplices of Fascists that they actually are.

Poland September 1939, NKVD and Gestapo exchanged of political prisoners.
    If only Churchill had known that, and about the Holodomor and the show trials and the Gulags and Katyn before he went full bromance on J.V.
    What an utterly ridiculous statement. We had to defeat Hitler. He was the greater evil - and the greater threat to us. As Churchill said, he would have allied with Satan to defeat Nazism.

Pfff.
    Tbf when Winnie went tongue up the arse, it wasn't half measures.

'It is very fortunate for Russia in her agony to have this great rugged war chief at her head. He is a man of massive outstanding personality, suited to the sombre and stormy times in which his life has been cast; a man of inexhaustible courage and will-power and a man direct and even blunt in speech, which, having been brought up in the House of Commons, I do not mind at all, especially when I have something to say of my own. Above all, he is a man with that saving sense of humour which is of high importance to all men and all nations, but particularly to great men and great nations. Stalin also left upon me the impression of a deep, cool wisdom and a complete absence of illusions of any kind. I believe I made him feel that we were good and faithful comrades in this war – but that, after all, is a matter which deeds not words will prove.'
    Like many tyrants, Stalin could be extremely charming when it suited him. And he had real leadership skills. CS Lewis had it right when he said "to be truly and effectively wicked, a man needs some virtue."
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139
    SeanT said:

BigRich said:

I think some of this British angst about what is and isn't a demos comes from the fact that by default we think of a single central body whose writ runs as far as it pleases. This forces us to think of Westminster as a kind of national parish council where everyone is alike. There is enough cultural similarity between all of the current EU for a common political layer to be sustainable.
    No there really really really isn't. Otherwise they would care about EU elections. On turnout, they don't. And nor should they. The power is in the Commission, which is unelected, and the Council of Ministers which depends on elections in other countries (not yours).

It's a system deliberately designed by the devil, i.e. a Frenchman, to smuggle power from the people to the elite, because the people are stupid and not to be trusted. Anglo-Saxon democracy is the opposite, and is superior.
    The power is really with Merkel, as Germany is the EU's lender of first and last resort.

Juncker is effectively her poodle.
  • Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307

surbiton said:

tlg86 said:

Y0kel said:

I still don't see where they get 80 odd net gains from.

Surely it's only 45 net gains for a majority of 100.
    Simples. They have 331 now. 55 more gives them 386.
    Information: the first 47 seats on the Conservative target list require swings of less than 5% to capture, so 55 gains is not wholly unrealistic. Crudely put, if you move 50% of the Ukip vote in each seat into the Tory column, then the majority of those targets turn nominally Conservative immediately (down, in fact, as far as Mansfield, target no.53,) and practically all of those that don't flip immediately become vulnerable to a direct Lab-Con swing of 2.5% or less.

The first genuinely tough ask on the Conservative target list - i.e. a majority over 10% and a negligible Ukip vote - is Dumfries & Galloway (target 54,) and if the polls are anywhere close concerning the scale of the Conservative revival in Scotland then they are in with a shout there as well.

I'm projecting the Conservative majority at about 120, and I don't see how they dip below 80 unless Labour manages to poll something close to its 2015 vote share *and* most of the Ukip-Con defectors desert May for Nuttall. Neither prospect seems especially likely.
    What about seats they can lose?
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

I assume that's another Leaver piece of bollocks to be added to the list then eh?

Rising German unemployment?

File under: Not Our Problem
    MTimT said:

AnneJGP said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

t/

There.
    There

Diamond Brexit it is.
    I'm currently not seeing any deal the EU could offer the UK that's politically acceptable.

That being the case, I think it'd be prudent for the UK to fully develop a Plan B.

Was that John McDonnell photo taken today, during the election campaign? I know that he used routinely to speak at these terrorist/murderous dictator supporting events, but I thought he was trying to keep that quiet now.

Yes, you might have thought he would avoid associating with Stalinists and Baathists before a general election and played down previous attendances of such events, but no the man who wants to be CotE in five weeks time was with his friends today.
    Floater said:

Remember, Osborne's career was nearly taken out by deciding to have a single dinner with a Russian metal magnate.

Oh, that's easy to answer. They were of course both class acts - the most talented UK politicians of the past quarter-century - but Mandelson was more experienced, and got his spin in first. Young Osborne caught up later on.
    Is it just me or is Mrs May starting to sound fake? Too much referring to herself in a narcissistic way. I wonder how the British public will take six more weeks of this? Corbyn by contrast seems without ego.

MTimT said:

Diamond Brexit it is.

You could add:
    5. Continuation of EU wide agreements encouraging cross border movement such as EHIC, cheap air travel, mobile phone roaming etc. (both parties' interest, but more so EU given their reliance on UK tourism)

Genuinely, I am shocked as to the EU's negotiating stance to date. It seems to be based on a cross between an element of bluff, a complete misreading of a weak hand, and a willingness or even desire to reach a lose-lose outcome even though they lose more, pour encourager les autres.
    I think it is driven by emotion, to a large extent.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Yes, it was a May 1 parade in London

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/john-mcdonnell-urges-day-2017-10334647

They would want to have a good deal, the stumbling block appears to be that we can't agree a drunks red line. He wants Brexit to be a failure and we will not agree to that.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368
    Roger said:

Is it just me or is Mrs May starting to sound fake? Too much referring to herself in a narcissistic way. I wonder how the British public will take six more weeks of this? Corbyn by contrast seems without ego.

May is having a shocking campaign so far.
    Y0kel said:

surbiton said:

tlg86 said:

Y0kel said:

Information: the first 47 seats on the Conservative target list require swings of less than 5% to capture, so 55 gains is not wholly unrealistic. Crudely put, if you move 50% of the Ukip vote in each seat into the Tory column, then the majority of those targets turn nominally Conservative immediately (down, in fact, as far as Mansfield, target no.53,) and practically all of those that don't flip immediately become vulnerable to a direct Lab-Con swing of 2.5% or less.

The first genuinely tough ask on the Conservative target list - i.e. a majority over 10% and a negligible Ukip vote - is Dumfries & Galloway (target 54,) and if the polls are anywhere close concerning the scale of the Conservative revival in Scotland then they are in with a shout there as well.

I'm projecting the Conservative majority at about 120, and I don't see how they dip below 80 unless Labour manages to poll something close to its 2015 vote share *and* most of the Ukip-Con defectors desert May for Nuttall. Neither prospect seems especially likely.
    Perhaps 10 or so seats are vulnerable.
  • Was that John McDonnell photo taken today, during the election campaign? I know that he used routinely to speak at these terrorist/murderous dictator supporting events, but I thought he was trying to keep that quiet now.

Seems to be. There's a video doing the rounds on the Twitters, apparently from the same event, with some activists chanting unfavourably about Labour Friends of Israel.

#LabourWinningHere (except for voters in Finchley and Golders Green, Bury South or Eastwood)
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,969
    Roger said:

It's just you... ;)
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited May 2017
    Roger said:

It grated with me that she was saying "a vote for me is a vote for s & s g" rather than " a vote for the conservatives is ..." at last pmqs. I don't think even Maggie did that.

edit: but you are having a laugh about Corbyn, he is all ego and nothing else.

He was interviewed in Trafalgar Square today
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    MTimT said:

Diamond Brexit it is.

The issue with that is something needs to be in place on 29 March 2019. The money - even €50 billion - over a decade or so is trivial in the scheme of things; something needs to be done about reciprocal citizen rights anyway. A comprehensive trade agreement won't and effectively can't be negotiated by then, except in broad outline. That 29 March 2019 date is of critical importance to us. We need an extension (misnamed as a transition agreement), and the EU will want one too. Everything else is much less urgent. We will get onto your four points eventually however.

That's why I think we will agree to the EU programme. They have thought this through.
  • Roger said:

.... and without backbone either, in terms of dealing with McDonnell today.
    Roger said:

She's never sounded fantastic, though usually inoffensive and reasonably competent.

Corbyn is superficially appealing in some ways, but is far far worse of course.
  • nunununu Posts: 6,024

SeanT said:

AnneJGP said:

BigRich said:

AnneJGP said:

BigRich said:

AnneJGP said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

There isn't a El dictator.

About 4f the 10-12 EU nationals in our group. It was quite strange to realise I had hit a nearv with so many people all at once. But I still not think this is a Demos, without a common language, and with different cultural backgrounds.
    Turnout levels in the EU Parliament elections. Declining horribly over time. Now down into the 40s.

http://cdn.static-economist.com/sites/default/files/images/print-edition/20140517_FBC890.png

It's not happening. An elite percentage of largely English-speaking Erasmus students feel *European*, yes; most Europeans pay lip service, but in reality it's all about nation and language.

at the risk of provoking howls of outrage, might I suggest that ever increasing levels of immigrant Muslims is not going to help
    Seriously? you're suggesting low turnouts in the e.u parliaments is related to or effected by muslim immigration? People would blame muslims for a rainy summer if they could.
    Roger said:

That's your completely unbiased opinion, is it? :)
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Y0kel said:

surbiton said:

tlg86 said:

Y0kel said:

Depends on outcome of 1. Remainer tactical voting and 2. Scale of Ukip-Con switching. Again, applying 50% uniform movement of voters from Ukip to Con, only two Tory-held marginals (Croydon Central and Dumfriesshire) still have majorities of less than 5%.

I can see a handful of Con losses taking place, principally to the Lib Dems (Twickenham is an obvious likely casualty,) but unless something changes dramatically, there should be very few of them.

A report, presented without comment (except: Juncker is a self-confessed liar, after all):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/01/revealed-eu-has-secretly-plotting-block-theresa-may-eu-migrants/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"But what surprised Mr Juncker the most, according to the leaked account, was Mrs May’s belief that a deal guaranteeing the rights of EU citizens in the UK and UK citizens living in the EU could be agreed by the end of June. He suggested Mrs May was “underestimating” the complexity of the deal.

"However Mr Juncker cannot have been “astonished” because Mrs May said exactly the same thing to Donald Tusk on April 6, and an account of that meeting was briefed to top-level EU officials on April 11, according to an official diplomatic record of the meeting seen by The Telegraph.

"Piotr Serafin, chief of staff to Mr Tusk, briefed all the officials present from the EU 27, including those from the European Commission, that Mrs May had made clear the UK would seek a deal on expat rights “probably as early as June”."

Now, either the Telegraph is straightforwardly lying about the documents from early April, or the second-hand account of the meeting deliberately leaked by the EU side to the German press is, at least in part, fictitious. I leave readers to make up their minds as to which of these scenarios is most plausible.

Tusk is obviously lying, Juncker would never do such a thing... unless he's had a drink. Does anyone know if he'd been drinking that day?
    Jonathan said:

Roger said:

LOL! Most politicians would sacrifice their first-born for the kind of shocking campaign she's had so far.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    Should I feel "offended" by OGH's tweet, given that my dad's funeral is on Friday?
    edited May 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

It grated with me that she was saying "a vote for me is a vote for s & s g" rather than " a vote for the conservatives is ..." at last pmqs. I don't think even Maggie did that
    They've looked at her personal ratings viz a viz Corbyn?
    Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

It grated with me that she was saying "a vote for me is a vote for s & s g" rather than " a vote for the conservatives is ..." at last pmqs. I don't think even Maggie did that.

edit: but you are having a laugh about Corbyn, he is all ego and nothing else.
    Maggie wasn't facing Corbyn.

Seems to be. There's a video doing the rounds on the Twitters, apparently from the same event, with some activists chanting unfavourably about Labour Friends of Israel.

#LabourWinningHere (except for voters in Finchley and Golders Green, Bury South or Eastwood)
    Right. Well, it's a novel take on the standard election-campaign grid.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Doubt they are interested in Drunker's threats - waiting for Mother Merkel to make the big decisions in their favour, as always.

.... and without backbone either, in terms of dealing with McDonnell today.

Corbyn won't deal with McDonnell because he usually attends the event.
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Roger said:

When I was a north London leftie back in 08, I thought Boris was a joke, and no Londoner would elect someone who said 'balderdash and piffle' , while Ken was authentic, & I staked £1000 on that basis, without factoring in my huuuuuge bias
    Sean_F said:

MTimT said:

Diamond Brexit it is.

You could add:

I think it is driven by emotion, to a large extent.
    Precisely so. They really do seem to view us as deserters who should face the consequences.

No doubt egged on by British bitter-enders who naively provide them with all the reassurance they need that, if they are sufficiently punitive, we will give up and seek to stop the process.
    Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Really - her poll ratings are extraordinary and she is genuinely liked - but then you would oppose her anyway
    Roger said:

To some of Us she has been sounding a lost worse than Fake for a long time. However that's because we are odd, we on this blog are political obsessives, and as such we pay for more attention, to most 'swing' voters they will only see snippets of her talking and probably not that many of those, so I don't think it will harm her,

Tusk is obviously lying, Juncker would never do such a thing... unless he's had a drink. Does anyone know if he'd been drinking that day?
    Was there a Y in the day?

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

LOL! Most politicians would sacrifice their first-born for the kind of shocking campaign she's had so far.
    It reminds me of 1987, when Labour persuaded themselves their campaign was far superior to the Tories'.
  • SeanT said:

This would be the Jean Claude Juncker who is on record as saying "when it becomes serious, you have to lie"

A man whose highest elected position is the equivalent of leading a Norfolk County Council only funded by tax avoidance? This man is determining the future of the UK and Europe?

Yes, the same man. Jean Claude Juncker.

Well, fuck you, mate, and fuck your Commission. This is what your intrinsic mediocrity leads us to. Endgame. Diamond Brexit. Brexeunt.
    I suppose it's just possible to be "repeatedly astonished".
    SeanT said:

This would be the Jean Claude Juncker who is on record as saying "when it becomes serious, you have to lie"

A man whose highest elected position is the equivalent of leading a Norfolk County Council only funded by tax avoidance? This man is determining the future of the UK and Europe?

Yes, the same man. Jean Claude Juncker.

Well, fuck you, mate, and fuck your Commission. This is what your intrinsic mediocrity leads us to. Endgame. Diamond Brexit. Brexeunt.
    LOL! We're still at the "feeling out" stage in these negotiations.

Lets see what happens when things get started properly.
    I genuinely struggle to understand people who proudly march next to Stalin flags. I mean, we worked with the bastard, we all know that, but the common person could at least pretend they didn't know what he was back then, and we do now, we know perfectly well what he was. Are people marching under his flag saying he was a good guy, are they saying the ideas of communism are still great in spite of him (in which case why not leave him off the banners?), seriously, what is going through their heads?

(I accept that perhaps some people at these events might not be Stalin fans, but are not so offended that they will not attend, such is their belief in communism. Which is...technically better I guess)
  • kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    SeanT said:

Reading the Telegraph report on the Juncker Brexit Dinner Leak, it's clear they want to hurt us, just because. Even if it harms them, we must suffer more, pour encourager les autres.

Enough of this. Diamond Brexit. We leave, we suffer, they don't get a fucking penny, every European in a job in the UK can expect to feel anxiety from now on, likewise all our stupid pensioners over there.

Fuck it. Let's do it. DIAMOND HARD.

I agree , we too have a hurricane in a us that will strip the EU bare . Thry want to punish us let them go ahead , we say do your worst and we will do our best - even if it does mean blood toil tears and sweat . Junker can do one
    https://youtu.be/lMpigAUQt_4
This discussion has been closed.