Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn to quit or not to quit on June 9th, that is the questio

SystemSystem Posts: 11,702
edited April 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn to quit or not to quit on June 9th, that is the question

O, I die, Horatio; The potent poison quite o’er-crows my spirit: I cannot live to hear the news from England; But I do prophesy the election lights On Fortinbras: he has my dying voice; So tell him, with the occurrents, more and less, Which have solicited. The rest is silence.  – Hamlet Act V, Scene II

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    First :smiley:
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    "Although the way Mrs May is blowing huge Tory leads"

LOL. Leads she created and which were probably never really there and which, even now they are blown, leaves her in a commanding position such that Cameron could never have dreamed of for himself.

I am reserving judgment on May until we have some real read-out from the Brexit negotiations. But failure she is not - yet, particularly when judged against Cameron and Osborne.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029
    edited April 2017
    Of course he's not going to quit. Why the fuck would he? It has now been established beyond question that he has absolutely no sense of duty, shame or self-awareness. He also doesn't give a fuck what happens to the electoral fortunes of the Labour party.

I'll still vote for him on the general principle of Anybody But May and that the prospect of JC PM negotiating Brexit would be comedy gold.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Dura_Ace said:

Of course he's not going to quit. Why the fuck would he? It has now been established beyond question that he has absolutely no sense of duty, shame or self-awareness. He also doesn't give a fuck what happens to the electoral fortunes of the Labour party.

I'll still vote for him on the general principle of Anybody But May and that the prospect of JC PM negotiating Brexit would be comedy gold.

Of course he's not going to quit. Why would he? It has now been established beyond question that he has absolutely no sense of duty, shame or self-awareness. He also doesn't give a damn what happens to the electoral fortunes of the Labour party.

The above works just as well and is much nicer to read.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Gadfly said:

Dura_Ace said:

Of course he's not going to quit. Why would he? It has now been established beyond question that he has absolutely no sense of duty, shame or self-awareness. He also doesn't give a damn what happens to the electoral fortunes of the Labour party.

Go sit on the naughty step for using the d**n word.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Toms said:

Gadfly said:

Dura_Ace said:

:-)

I was going to use 'doesn't give a care' but thought that would be a step to far for Mr Ace.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

Toms said:

Gadfly said:

Dura_Ace said:

:-)

I was going to use 'doesn't give a care' but thought that would be a step to far for Mr Ace.
    Make that a 'step too far' (before anybody else does).
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    TSE: I think you are panicking a bit. Tories will get a majority. What would be interesting is if at the end of all this, say, they end up with 350 seats instead of 331.

Good majority, certainly. But many will feel, was this worth all the disruption ?

More importantly, it will not change the paradigm as far as negotiations with the EU is concerned.

I am convinced, if none of you are, that she called the elections in order to obtain a large majority so that she could do deals during negotiations with the EU.

Britain is a trading nation or it is nothing ! The UK has to come to a trade deal with the EU regardless of how some excitable characters to the right in her party or in the country feel.

If the trade talks begin to show results, then both parties will agree to transitional arrangement for as long as necessary, even 3 years or five ! I know this is in her mind because of the leaks about "freedom of movement" continuing for a few years after Brexit. The ground id being prepared.

But to get to that position, there have to be compromises which she has to make where she will lose the support of a good many Tory MPs. As many as 50, maybe even 70 depending on the profile of the new MPs, many of whom will be coming from Leave areas.

1. Rights of EU citizens and vice versa for Brits in EU: Controversy will be about jurisdiction. If "special arrangements" are to be made, there will be trouble ! However, this one will pass because Labour , Liberals and the SNP will support. So Tory rebels can sulk in the corner.

2. The wrongly titled "divorce bill". This is actually about future liabilities UK have already signed up for. These are fulfilment of contracts. One thing I know having dealt with Germans for over 30 years, is that they are very legalistic as is the EU itself. I am sure compromises can be made but we are talking about €30-40 bn. The rebellion will be bigger. If she does not get that big majority, she will be stuck.

3. The Ireland border: Everyone says it is going to be easy. But this one is the Game of Thorns and not so much about Thrones. No customs union and no border are not compatible. Otherwise, there will have to controls between mainland Britain and Northern Ireland. I cannot begin to think what the Unionist reaction will be on both sides of the Irish Sea. Gibraltar will just be a rock on the continent compared to this. Michael Howard might even launch the armada !

She needs a big majority, or else !
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    "Although the way Mrs May is blowing huge Tory leads in this campaign so far"

I can't decide if this is tongue in cheek or not. Either way Cameron is keeping himself in the news by buying a garden shed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/30/downing-street-to-garden-retreat-david-cameron-spends-25000-on-luxury-hut

I'll always be grateful to him and Osborne for persuading so many people to vote Leave.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I can't decide if this is tongue in cheek or not. Either way Cameron is keeping himself in the news by buying a garden shed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/30/downing-street-to-garden-retreat-david-cameron-spends-25000-on-luxury-hut

I'll always be grateful to him and Osborne for persuading so many people to vote Leave.

Garden shed? Is Theresa staging a covert meeting again?

Interesting spot from Craig Murray:

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2017/04/theresa-mays-fake-meetings/comment-page-1/#comments
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Morning all. Wouldn't it be rather amusing if he didn't quit? Rather amusing that is, except for anyone who wants to see a strong Labour Party, good opposition to the government and 1970s communists, antisemites and terrorist sympathisers eradicated from modern politics.

Which is why the defeat has to be utter and total, Labour need to lose half their MPs to wake up those who bankroll the party and want to be in government
  • Options

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2017/04/theresa-mays-fake-meetings/comment-page-1/#comments
    This is hardly the first time meetings with the public have been stage managed. The biggest joke was when Brown called that lady a bigot, he couldn't even cope with stage managed events.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Morning all. Wouldn't it be rather amusing if he didn't quit? Rather amusing that is, except for anyone who wants to see a strong Labour Party, good opposition to the government and 1970s communists, antisemites and terrorist sympathisers eradicated from modern politics.

Which is why the defeat has to be utter and total, Labour need to lose half their MPs to wake up those who bankroll the party and want to be in government

What happens if Labour loses only 20 and the Liberals gain 10 ?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,351
    edited April 2017
    The only way Corbyn will resign instantly is if he loses his own seat. Even then, he might cite Henderson as a precedent (who stayed on as official leader for a year after 1931 while Lansbury was named Party Chairman) and try to cling on.

However, if things are so bad Labour lose Islington North, it will really, really not matter who the Labour leader is.

Would be amusing to see what Prime Minister May and Leader of the Opposition Farron said in that situation though.
  • Options
    For historical precedent, the last clearly defeated leader not to resign after the election was Kinnock, seven elections and 30 years ago in 1987. He resigned in 1992, followed by Major, Hague, Howard, Brown and Miliband.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Sandpit said:

For historical precedent, the last clearly defeated leader not to resign after the election was Kinnock, seven elections and 30 years ago in 1987. He resigned in 1992, followed by Major, Hague, Howard, Brown and Miliband.

Took Brown some time though, despite polling the lowest share of the vote of any governing party since the eighteenth century.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Corbyn doesn't want to be in govt, he's been a state sponsored protester for decades. The thing with these lefties is they KNOW they are right, that anybody who disagrees is an uncaring, capitalist fascist. He won't resign, he'll need to be thrown out and I've no idea how that happens.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    Britain Elects‏ @britainelects 7h7 hours ago

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 44% (-1)
    LAB: 31% (+2)
    LDEM: 11% (+1)
    UKIP: 6% (-1)
    GRN: 2% (-1)

(via YouGov / 27 - 28 Apr)
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    MTimT said:

LOL. Leads she created and which were probably never really there and which, even now they are blown, leaves her in a commanding position such that Cameron could never have dreamed of for himself.

I am reserving judgment on May until we have some real read-out from the Brexit negotiations. But failure she is not - yet, particularly when judged against Cameron and Osborne.

Mrs May created those leads? Really? She leads because she's not Corbyn. She hasn't actually done anything.
    I strongly doubt she'd have won a majority against Ed in 2015 after 5 years as PM.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

Then Corbyn will undoubtedly think he's won, that he'd be PM if it wasn't for the evil Tory Blairites plotting against him, and will continue the purge of the non-believers.

Which is why the defeat has to be huge, Corbyn must have no choice but to own it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The only way Corbyn will resign instantly is if he loses his own seat. Even then, he might cite Henderson as a precedent (who stayed on as official leader for a year after 1931 while Lansbury was named Party Chairman) and try to cling on.

However, if things are so bad Labour lose Islington North, it will really, really not matter who the Labour leader is.

Would be amusing to see what Prime Minister May and Leader of the Opposition Farron said in that situation though.

If that were to happen, it will not be Farron but some SNP bloke , probably , Angus Robertson.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Corbyn doesn't want to be in govt, he's been a state sponsored protester for decades. The thing with these lefties is they KNOW they are right, that anybody who disagrees is an uncaring, capitalist fascist. He won't resign, he'll need to be thrown out and I've no idea how that happens.
    It was all so unnecessary.
    Margaret Beckett: I was moron to nominate Jeremy Corbyn
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33625612
  • Options
    surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

If that were to happen, it will not be Farron but some SNP bloke , probably , Angus Robertson.
    Under those circumstances Robertson would almost certainly lose his seat too along with a significant number of other SNP MPs (which would of course be a tragic loss to national life in Scotland). Meanwhile, on the assumption that 22% of the vote has to go somewhere, it would presumably go to the Liberal Democrats.

The chances of this happening would seem to me to be remote. They are not nearly as remote as they should be.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

If this were to be repeated , it is actually worse for the Tories than 1983 when they got 42.4%, Labour 27.6% and the Alliance 25.4%. The opposition was split right down the middle. According to the Yougov poll that is not the case. Of course, if it were to be repeated.

Has anyone baxtered this yet ?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

It was all so unnecessary.
    Margaret Beckett: I was moron to nominate Jeremy Corbyn
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33625612
    That's a very unfair remark.

There are plenty of morons out there who wouldn't have been stupid enough to do what she did.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

Under those circumstances Robertson would almost certainly lose his seat too along with a significant number of other SNP MPs (which would of course be a tragic loss to national life in Scotland). Meanwhile, on the assumption that 22% of the vote has to go somewhere, it would presumably go to the Liberal Democrats.

The chances of this happening would seem to me to be remote. They are not nearly as remote as they should be.
    Robertson and/or Salmond losing would be up there with Balls and Reckless from a couple of years ago for champagne and popcorn moments of election night.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

Then Corbyn will undoubtedly think he's won, that he'd be PM if it wasn't for the evil Tory Blairites plotting against him, and will continue the purge of the non-believers.

Which is why the defeat has to be huge, Corbyn must have no choice but to own it.
    FPTP may well save Labour.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    If Labour poll 31 Corbyn is going nowhere.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

FPTP may well save Labour.
    Save Labour, or save Corbyn? Dare I say that the two are mutually exclusive.

The Tories rebuilt themselves after 1997, and moderate Labour can do the same after a thrashing in 2017. But not if those who Kinnock worked so hard to get out of the party are allowed to again be in charge.
  • Options
    What is happening to the Labour vote ? Three in a row at 30% or above ?

A week ago we were talking about annihilation!
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    You really need to be careful in regards to comments on the divorce bill, because what you are saying is the exact opposite of reality.

From a legal point of view, the UK does not have any liabilities after Brexit. There are no 'contracts', there are only the treaties. The UK does not share the assets and liabilities of the EU, it is a member. The only things that it is liable for are things that the treaties state. In fact, it is the Germans (and the EU) who are ignoring the legal position and really trying to claim that it is 'fair' that the UK pay all this stuff because we 'agreed' to it. In fact, the only financial commitments that an EU member has is what is agreed in the budget, and this only while they are a member. At least half the 'bill' consists of contingent liabilities which simply represent non-binding promises of future actions between members.

It will be the UK, not the EU, who are going to argue the legalities on this. The EU is simply resorting to blackmail - pay us money we do not owe or we will not discuss a trade deal.

So, easy, no deal.
    surbiton said:

TSE: I think you are panicking a bit. Tories will get a majority. What would be interesting is if at the end of all this, say, they end up with 350 seats instead of 331.

2. The wrongly titled "divorce bill". This is actually about future liabilities UK have already signed up for. These are fulfilment of contracts. One thing I know having dealt with Germans for over 30 years, is that they are very legalistic as is the EU itself. I am sure compromises can be made but we are talking about €30-40 bn. The rebellion will be bigger. If she does not get that big majority, she will be stuck.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    surbiton said:

If this were to be repeated , it is actually worse for the Tories than 1983 when they got 42.4%, Labour 27.6% and the Alliance 25.4%. The opposition was split right down the middle. According to the Yougov poll that is not the case. Of course, if it were to be repeated.

Gives a Tory majority of around 35. Depends a bit on whether you allow for a slightly larger swing in Scotland or not.

Edit - I didn't allow for a larger swing in Wales either - that might be worth another 7-8 seats and take the majority over 50.
  • Options

This is hardly the first time meetings with the public have been stage managed. The biggest joke was when Brown called that lady a bigot, he couldn't even cope with stage managed events.
    It was the suggestion that the reson so many in the audience were stony faced and not clapping that intrigued me. Obviously stage managed events are nothing new.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

If Labour poll 31 Corbyn is going nowhere.

Quite. Perhaps Corbyn is very lucky he's up against May.
  • Options
    Electoral Calculus gives a majority of 76.

• Options
    Why have Farron's party not benefited from the rout in Labour support?

Membership has apparently risen and their polling has improved, but I would have expected them to achieve far more given the collapse in Labour support.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,936
    ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Gives a Tory majority of around 35. Depends a bit on whether you allow for a slightly larger swing in Scotland or not.

Edit - I didn't allow for a larger swing in Wales either - that might be worth another 7-8 seats and take the majority over 50.
    Baxter gives 76.

However an 11% lead gave a 100 seat majority in 1987, and 13% produced a 179 seat majority in 1997.
  • Options

You really need to be careful in regards to comments on the divorce bill, because what you are saying is the exact opposite of reality.

From a legal point of view, the UK does not have any liabilities after Brexit. There are no 'contracts', there are only the treaties.

Presumably we will also be walking away from stuff that we have paid for, which the EU will continue to benefit from.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

One possibility it might be worth bearing in mind is that Labour could well be hoovering up all the votes in London, Manchester, Bristol, West Yorkshire and Newcastle along with parts of Birmingham, while haemorrhaging them in marginal and semi-marginal seats elsewhere. That would be entirely in accord with Corbyn's core vote strategy.

One result of this election, with likely startling results from Scotland and Wales, as well as diametrically opposed results in London and the North, could be the final discrediting of UNS as a model.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,049
    Gadfly said:

Membership has apparently risen and their polling has improved, but I would have expected them to achieve far more given the collapse in Labour support.

Good question. Perhaps it’s going to be the reverse of 1983, when they flattererd to decieve. This time a lot better, seats-wise.
    (Clumsy phrase, sorry!)
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

Assuming that the polls are correct they would get around 11% if the GE were tomorrow. Let's see how that compares with the local results on the 4th.
  • Options

From a legal point of view, the UK does not have any liabilities after Brexit. There are no 'contracts', there are only the treaties. The UK does not share the assets and liabilities of the EU, it is a member. The only things that it is liable for are things that the treaties state. In fact, it is the Germans (and the EU) who are ignoring the legal position and really trying to claim that it is 'fair' that the UK pay all this stuff because we 'agreed' to it. In fact, the only financial commitments that an EU member has is what is agreed in the budget, and this only while they are a member. At least half the 'bill' consists of contingent liabilities which simply represent non-binding promises of future actions between members.

It will be the UK, not the EU, who are going to argue the legalities on this. The EU is simply resorting to blackmail - pay us money we do not owe or we will not discuss a trade deal.

So, easy, no deal.

surbiton said:

I agree. The only way to avoid a Brexit bill is hard Brexit.

It is not impossible for this to all happen before the end of the year.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Baxter gives 76.

However an 11% lead gave a 100 seat majority in 1987, and 13% produced a 179 seat majority in 1997.
    I took the Scottish seats out of the equation. Interestingly in light of what I said above, it appears Scotland is following a markedly different path from the rest of the country. Wales of course is likely to be different again.

I think May will be pretty pleased with any majority of over 50 tbh. Plus if it's not a complete rout there's a higher chance of Corbyn hanging on or handing over to somebody even more useless and toxic - McDonnell, Abbott, Thornberry, Long-Bailey, Rayner would all be far far worse than he is.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

One possibility it might be worth bearing in mind is that Labour could well be hoovering up all the votes in London, Manchester, Bristol, West Yorkshire and Newcastle along with parts of Birmingham, while haemorrhaging them in marginal and semi-marginal seats elsewhere. That would be entirely in accord with Corbyn's core vote strategy.

One result of this election, with likely startling results from Scotland and Wales, as well as diametrically opposed results in London and the North, could be the final discrediting of UNS as a model.
    I agree with this. Labour's vote is going to be very inefficiently distributed.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

Current polling does not show a rout in Labour support.

What it does show is a rout of UKIP going to Tories.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Any particular reason TSE and OGH, have decided to start trolling their readership, rather than try and produce balanced and interesting thread headers like they used to?
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 908
    edited April 2017
    I think Teresa May has made a big mistake in going for a long campaign.

In the next 6 weeks she will have to say something - people (well journalists) are already getting fed up with the 'Vote for me, a strong leader" theme.

Just repeating platitudes isn't going to work. The demand for real policies on Brexit and the economy (stupid!) will increase. Today's announcement on pensions is meaningless - there are almost no defined benefit schemes left except for government employees.

• Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    surbiton said:

Coalition of chaos probably isn't having the desired effect, because it's not a credible threat. That said the Tories haven't really touched the IRA, Hamas, shoot-to-kill stuff yet.
  • Options
    We must avoid falling into the same trap as many did in 2015 of attaching too much significance to Yougov polls because they publish so many. It distorts the broader picture.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

surbiton said:

Coalition of chaos probably isn't having the desired effect, because it's not a credible threat. That said the Tories haven't really touched the IRA, Hamas, shoot-to-kill stuff yet.
    What will you bring up ? Martin McGuinness was a terrorist ? Bring it on.

http://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/thequeen/the-queen-sends-message-of-condolence-to-the-widow-of-martin-mcguinness-78798
  • Options
    This is a rather good summary of certain issues across all parties:

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/opinion/in-these-topsy-turvy-times-a-tory-landslide-is-not-certain-1-7932286

Must confess, would not have thought of looking in the Belfast Telegraph for such astute commentary on U.K- wide affairs.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: my pre-race rambling, and a tip, is up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/russia-pre-race-2017.html

This must be the first time in years I've offered two tips over a race weekend, and both of them were odds on.

Importantly, I also have an exciting new serial (three parts, initially) out next month. Sort of Robin Hood in Ancient China. So, do watch out for Wandering Phoenix and Roaming Tiger.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

I agree with this. Labour's vote is going to be very inefficiently distributed.
    What is the pathway to a "Coalition of Chaos" or as I prefer to call it "a functioning democracy"?

1) Labour votes staying firm

2) SNP votes staying firm

3) LDs gaining seats back to 2010 levels

Perhaps the way for this to occur is for the Tory vote to become more inefficient, and the UKIP collapse to be biggest in Tory safe seats, and for the centre left to hoover up tactical anti-Tory votes.

Even in this situation Corbyn is probably gone this year. I am not taking this tip from TSE, not least because I have 10/1 on Jezza going this year already.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

surbiton said:

30% is not a good score for Labour. It still points to a very heavy defeat.
  • Options

Gadfly said:

Assuming that the polls are correct they would get around 11% if the GE were tomorrow. Let's see how that compares with the local results on the 4th.
    The Liberals will get 15% by the end of this long campaign. There will be massive tactical voting. Apart from UKIP, every other party is anti-Tory.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Any particular reason TSE and OGH, have decided to start trolling their readership, rather than try and produce balanced and interesting thread headers like they used to?

TSE can't decide whether he dislikes May more than Corbyn or vice versa.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

The best you can answer is a "possibility". Let's see the regional subsets.
  • Options

It was the suggestion that the reson so many in the audience were stony faced and not clapping that intrigued me. Obviously stage managed events are nothing new.
    Because they were not Tory members. They were, I believe, tenants. Yes , tenants !
  • Options

Gadfly said:

The right is unsplitting in a big way. The left's stronger party is collapsing - and is resplitting. In a FPTP system the effect will be major.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

surbiton said:

30% is not a good score for Labour. It still points to a very heavy defeat.
    Hardly going to kill Labour though is it. There was plenty of talk earlier in the campaign about destroying them for a generation.
    To be honest if Labour under an inept fool like Corbyn are capable of getting 30 percent its a pretty damning indictment of the Tories and Lib Dems. I doubt he will get 30 fwiw.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Essexit said:

surbiton said:

http://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/thequeen/the-queen-sends-message-of-condolence-to-the-widow-of-martin-mcguinness-78798
    I was a child in the Seventies and Eighties, so remember the IRA bombing campaign well. My dad was working half a mile from the Birmingham pub bombing. My response to the Tories going big on it is that I do not want the killings restarting. Peace in Ireland is one way Britain has really improved over the decades.

Bigging up the events of that era risks an already precarious situation in NI. For May to do that she would be risking the long term of our country for a short term political cheap shot. It would very likely rebound against her. It is a period of our history that should be laid to rest.

• Options
    surbiton said:

Gadfly said:

The Liberals will get 15% by the end of this long campaign. There will be massive tactical voting. Apart from UKIP, every other party is anti-Tory.
    Tactical voting works against Labour, when UKIP supporters go over to the Conservatives.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited April 2017
    surbiton said:

Gadfly said:

You are stating the bleeding obvious about other parties being anti tory except you missed that there will be considerable tactical voting to keep Labour out too.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Essexit said:

surbiton said:

Probably thinking more along the lines of his greatest hits during the hight of the IRA mainland bombing campaign. His association with Hamas, his veneration of Venezuela and his paid appearances on Russia Today, to be honest.
  • Options
    My question was not about whether Corbyn will survive or not. As someone wrote below, he is very lucky that he has May as an opponent !

Of the last three that has given Labour 30% or more, Yougov only on 19th April put Labour at 24%, Opinium gave Labour 26% on the 20th. Only ORB put Labour on 29% on the 20th. But here too, there has been a clear 2% swing from the Tories to Labour.

Why ? I thought May wanted a "strong and stable" leadership. Is she frightening the people ?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Unless we get regional polling as we have in Scotland and Wales, everything will be a 'possibility' until we get a result on election night. Regional subsets are as reliable as a politician's promise, as you know. I have offered one explanation for why Labour's vote is holding up when it appears to be struggling to gain meaningful support (or indeed, is losing it rapidly) in such areas as we do have reliable polling data for. Other explanations exist. For example, did the question include Corbyn's name? We know he's a major drag on the ticket. If he wasn't there, maybe people are comfortable saying they will vote Labour. Is there a difficulty finding people who admit they voted Labour in 2015 now they have seen what a shambles the party is? If so, the past vote weighting might be wrong.

It is of course even possible that what you want - that Labour are only going to do as badly as they have done in the last two elections (and it's fairly damning that that's the realistic height of their ambitions) - will come to pass. It just doesn't happen to fit with any other data we have.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

This is a rather good summary of certain issues across all parties:

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/opinion/in-these-topsy-turvy-times-a-tory-landslide-is-not-certain-1-7932286

Must confess, would not have thought of looking in the Belfast Telegraph for such astute commentary on U.K- wide affairs.

I see what you mean.

Can't argue with:
    "For instance, whoever thought Jeremy Corbyn would win the Labour Party leadership, and then cement his position at a later challenge for the post? Even his foolish sponsors were shocked this happened.
    And who really believed the referendum last June would produce a Brexit victory by a reasonably substantial majority? Or that Donald Trump would ever reach the White House?"

or

"Meanwhile Tim Farron, who leads an army of eight other Liberal Democrat MPs, claims the Tories are getting their “betrayals” in early.

What he means is, the Conservatives have already declined to issue magnanimous promises about taxation levels and pensions, for example, very early in the campaign, in the hope that by the time polling day arrives, they will be forgotten about. Farron is probably right in that assumption.

So, it is up to the opposition parties to keep banging on about these issues throughout the campaign to frustrate the Tories’ hope that people will not remember them."

Also hadn't realised that Dan Hodges was Glenda Jackson's son.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Mrs May hiding in a conference room with bussed in supporters not meeting voters yesterday:

http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/news/areas/114483/prime-minister-launches-maidenhead-election-campaign-in-the-high-street.html#.WQR51ahvzjk.twitter

There is one 'stony faced' guy - but I reckon that's her security.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

My question was not about whether Corbyn will survive or not. As someone wrote below, he is very lucky that he has May as an opponent !

Of the last three that has given Labour 30% or more, Yougov only on 19th April put Labour at 24%, Opinium gave Labour 26% on the 20th. Only ORB put Labour on 29% on the 20th. But here too, there has been a clear 2% swing from the Tories to Labour.

Why ? I thought May wanted a "strong and stable" leadership. Is she frightening the people ?

Not enough polls to be certain of anything
  • Options

surbiton said:

Essexit said:

surbiton said:

I was a child in the Seventies and Eighties, so remember the IRA bombing campaign well. My dad was working half a mile from the Birmingham pub bombing. My response to the Tories going big on it is that I do not want the killings restarting. Peace in Ireland is one way Britain has really improved over the decades.

Bigging up the events of that era risks an already precarious situation in NI. For May to do that she would be risking the long term of our country for a short term political cheap shot. It would very likely rebound against her. It is a period of our history that should be laid to rest.

Who do you think the 'men of violence' will think they'll get further with - May or Corbyn?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Patrick said:

Gadfly said:

The right is unsplitting in a big way. The left's stronger party is collapsing - and is resplitting. In a FPTP system the effect will be major.
    The lefts stronger party is not collapsing. The polls are showing the range of 25-31%, which would suggest a probable drop of a couple of percent, not a collapse.

FWIW I think that Labour's problem in Wales, Midlands and North will be more due to a shift to DNV, and as many kippers will do the same as shift to the Tories, particularly in WWC heartlands.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Unless we get regional polling as we have in Scotland and Wales, everything will be a 'possibility' until we get a result on election night. Regional subsets are as reliable as a politician's promise, as you know. I have offered one explanation for why Labour's vote is holding up when it appears to be struggling to gain meaningful support (or indeed, is losing it rapidly) in such areas as we do have reliable polling data for. Other explanations exist. For example, did the question include Corbyn's name? We know he's a major drag on the ticket. If he wasn't there, maybe people are comfortable saying they will vote Labour. Is there a difficulty finding people who admit they voted Labour in 2015 now they have seen what a shambles the party is? If so, the past vote weighting might be wrong.

It is of course even possible that what you want - that Labour are only going to do as badly as they have done in the last two elections (and it's fairly damning that that's the realistic height of their ambitions) - will come to pass. It just doesn't happen to fit with any other data we have.
    We can make a reasonable assumption that the Conservatives will get above average swings in seats with big UKIP votes, which means a lot of marginal seats in the North and Midlands. We can also assume the Conservatives will perform worse in middle class Remain seats, which tend either to be safe Conservative or unwinnable for them.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    midwinter said:

MTimT said:

Mrs May created those leads? Really? She leads because she's not Corbyn. She hasn't actually done anything.
    I strongly doubt she'd have won a majority against Ed in 2015 after 5 years as PM.
    Yes, she created the leads. Polls this time last year with the Posh Boys in charge showed Corbo's Labour ahead.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    saddened said:

surbiton said:

Essexit said:

surbiton said:

Probably thinking more along the lines of his greatest hits during the hight of the IRA mainland bombing campaign. His association with Hamas, his veneration of Venezuela and his paid appearances on Russia Today, to be honest.
    And, then. when he died the Queen sent a message of condolence. Mandela was a terrorist too !!!!!!!! And dare I say, before the heavy mob gets to me, so was Menachem Begin.

The people know that we had to talk to these people to finally achieve peace. Corbyn met them earlier.

The older generation may take it more seriously. They are not voting Labour anyway.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Essexit said:

surbiton said:

Who do you think the 'men of violence' will think they'll get further with - May or Corbyn?
    I think the return of Irish paramilitary violence is not likely with either, but May's confrontational style is much more likely to provoke its return.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

Generally LDs rise when Labour rise.

1983 shows what happens when the left is flailing.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

We can make a reasonable assumption that the Conservatives will get above average swings in seats with big UKIP votes, which means a lot of marginal seats in the North and Midlands. We can also assume the Conservatives will perform worse in middle class Remain seats, which tend either to be safe Conservative or unwinnable for them.
    Next weeks national projections based upon the locals will give us a much more accurate view of regional shifts.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

F1: my pre-race rambling, and a tip, is up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/russia-pre-race-2017.html

This must be the first time in years I've offered two tips over a race weekend, and both of them were odds on.

Importantly, I also have an exciting new serial (three parts, initially) out next month. Sort of Robin Hood in Ancient China. So, do watch out for Wandering Phoenix and Roaming Tiger.

That's a good tip, this is a race where anything could happen. I'm also laying Vettel at 1.6 for the win, couldn't decide who of the three behind him might prevail if the German doesn't.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

saddened said:

surbiton said:

Essexit said:

surbiton said:

And, then. when he died the Queen sent a message of condolence. Mandela was a terrorist too !!!!!!!! And dare I say, before the heavy mob gets to me, so was Menachem Begin.

The people know that we had to talk to these people to finally achieve peace. Corbyn met them earlier.

The older generation may take it more seriously. They are not voting Labour anyway.
    Corbyn was their cheerleader.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Gadfly said:

The lefts stronger party is not collapsing. The polls are showing the range of 25-31%, which would suggest a probable drop of a couple of percent, not a collapse.

FWIW I think that Labour's problem in Wales, Midlands and North will be more due to a shift to DNV, and as many kippers will do the same as shift to the Tories, particularly in WWC heartlands.
    Dr.Fox: Many of those Welsh numbers were from the time Labour was seen 24% behind. If there was a poll today, I don't think you will see similar numbers.

Corbyn is indeed a lucky boy. He has got May as an opponent. The most wooden, anti-charismatic leader you can find. You can easily give her the Gordon Brown trophy for charisma.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

saddened said:

surbiton said:

Essexit said:

surbiton said:

You stick with Martin. The rest of the country will be taking note of the other examples i scratched the surface with. Corbyn, is a dud who keeps bad company.
  • Options
    Going back to the impact of leader's ratings and their impact on party performance:

Sturgeon Net 'doing well' (ex-DK)

Pre GE 2015: +60
    Pre GE 2017: +2

An absolute positive is still very good compared to most of her peers - but it's been quite a drop.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Next weeks national projections based upon the locals will give us a much more accurate view of regional shifts.
    I agree. I expect the Tories to do very well in Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Lancashire, Wales, and parts of Scotland; relatively poorly in Surrey, Hampshire, Oxfordshire, Goucestershire.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    surbiton said:

Patrick said:

Gadfly said:

Dr.Fox: Many of those Welsh numbers were from the time Labour was seen 24% behind. If there was a poll today, I don't think you will see similar numbers.

Corbyn is indeed a lucky boy. He has got May as an opponent. The most wooden, anti-charismatic leader you can find. You can easily give her the Gordon Brown trophy for charisma.
    Drivel. she is very popular unlike corbyn who is loathed by large sections of the voting public
  • Options

Mrs May hiding in a conference room with bussed in supporters not meeting voters yesterday:

http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/news/areas/114483/prime-minister-launches-maidenhead-election-campaign-in-the-high-street.html#.WQR51ahvzjk.twitter

There is one 'stony faced' guy - but I reckon that's her security.

Maidenhead should give her a soft reception. It sounds like all the criticism of her hyper controlling campaign of staged meetings is hitting home. The lady is for turning.

Lets see how she goes down with truly open meetings in Stoke, Hartlepool and Swansea.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

saddened said:

surbiton said:

Essexit said:

surbiton said:

As I said, bring it on. The Queen's message of condolence, the Queen inviting MM to Buch House for lunch, Prince Charles meeting Gerry Adams.

All these will be dredged up too. You want to talk about the past ? We can talk about the recent past.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

MTimT said:

Yes, she created the leads. Polls this time last year with the Posh Boys in charge showed Corbo's Labour ahead.
    People also forget that Corbyn is better rated than Foot or Hague when they were up against Thatcher or Blair - and May still has a bigger lead.

So this 'May is only good because Corbyn is uniquely rubbish' is at variance with the facts.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Corbyn has a great deal of steadfastness and stamina. How many times in the past on here have we said he'll soon be gone, only for him to beat off all his rivals?

Given Labour's inability to get rid of him, I think he'll go at a time of his own choosing.

Having said that, he is not a leader. In fact, he is the antithesis of a leader - he's not taking his team (i.e. the broader Labour party) along with him. I can't see him relishing the role he's in.

He's a man on a mission to change the party, and he'll leave the moment that's done.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, I'd be a bit tempted by Bottas each way for the win, problem is if he's second and Hamilton's third, I do think he'll be asked to move over.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

You are confusing talking and negotiating. Corbyn talked to them to support their campaign for a united Ireland, against the wishes of over half the people in Northern Ireland. In effect, despite his official pacifism, he was endorsing what they were doing.

When it became clear their campaign wasn't going to get them what they wanted, then the British government offered American-brokered peace talks through the Irish government. This didn't get them what they wanted, but it got them a reasonable compromise which while imperfect is as @foxinsoxuk notes a hell of a lot better for everybody than what there was before.

There is no possible justification for Corbyn talking to a group of terrorists days after they had murdered one of his fellow MPs when their only demand was for the British to hand over Northern Ireland to them. None. It may even have delayed the peace process by conning the IRA into thinking they had a chance of winning.

That being said, I think May will probably soft pedal that one given the tensions in Northern Ireland. She can go after his links to Hamas and Paul Eisen who are not yet willing to talk. Or she can ask awkward questions about why he did nothing when Liz Davies told him that several senior members of Islington Labour Party were paedophiles. Or she can point out that he talks about standing up for the vulnerable while pushing people who annoy him. Or paint him as soft on national security for saying he wouldn't order the police to kill a rampaging terrorist.

Any one of those can be justified on theoretical intellectual bases. However, all of them together form an extremely bad pattern.
  • Options
    Nick Cohen:

Jeremy Corbyn worked for Iranian state television and spoke at Khomeinist rallies in London. Everywhere he went, he looked a willing collaborator with a regime that flogs and executes gay men, treats women as second-class citizens and imprisons trade unionists.

If Corbyn was questioned on this, which he never is, he might say he does not approve of every aspect of Shia theocracy. But he worked for it, and was paid by it, and never found the courage to speak out on Iranian television for the victims of its oppression.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/29/tim-farron-defending-true-liberal-even-if-it-makes-us-queasy
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Patrick said:

Gadfly said:

Go out and talk to the people - she is popular in a way that I have never seen in British politics. Was talking to 7 others on a packed commuter train the other day. All said they'd voted Labour at some point in the past, mix of Leave/Remain, yet all saw Mrs May as a politician who gets on, does what she has said she will, and doesn't let the forces against democracy get in her way.

They all laughed at Corbyn. Laughed. Private sector workers clearly think he is a danger to the nation.

Yet, conversely, my girlfriend's FB feed is full of lefties talking about BBC bias and that everyone where they work (NHS) is voting Labour.

If this Labour campaign isn't a 30% strategy in the trendy cities, but a 15% strategy elsewhere, I don't know what is.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Unless we get regional polling as we have in Scotland and Wales, everything will be a '

I agree. I expect the Tories to do very well in Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Lancashire, Wales, and parts of Scotland; relatively poorly in Surrey, Hampshire, Oxfordshire, Goucestershire.
    I think we will see LibDem gains in Leicestershire. The swings in the few Labour held county seats will be revealing. Watch Loughborough, it is a national bellwether.
  • Options
    If the LibDems get 15% then Labour will be on 25.

They are fishing in the same pond for under 50% of the vote along with Plaid, the SNP and the Greens.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Essexit said:

surbiton said:

I think the return of Irish paramilitary violence is not likely with either, but May's confrontational style is much more likely to provoke its return.
    I think Corbyn's appeasement much more likely to encourage them.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Come election day, the Tories will have a result somewhere in the forties. Labour will be somewhere in the twenties. Wherever they each end up within that band, Theresa May will be Prime Minister with a majority somewhere between very handy and troublingly large. Enough to get to deliver our leaving the EU, without worrying about game-playing by those who STILL want to overturn the Referendum result. Job done.

There is absolutely no incentive for the Tories to kill off Labour whilst Corbyn (and whoever his successor might be) are still incoherent on the economy.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

saddened said:

surbiton said:

Essexit said:

surbiton said:

As I said, bring it on. The Queen's message of condolence, the Queen inviting MM to Buch House for lunch, Prince Charles meeting Gerry Adams.

All these will be dredged up too. You want to talk about the past ? We can talk about the recent past.
    You've got clips and photo's of the Queen actively supporting acts of terrorism. That's dynamite stuff. You should really get that it out there to defuse those Corbyn ones.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

saddened said:

surbiton said:

Essexit said:

surbiton said:

...at a time when they were trying to assassinate the Cabinet in Brighton, targeting children at McDonalds in Warrington, working men enjoying a pint in Birmingham and shoppers in Manchester.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    F1: seems Sauber will have Honda engines next year.

Edited extra bit: https://twitter.com/HondaRacingF1/status/858578321159987200
This discussion has been closed.