Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marine Le Pen’s best chance of becoming President is if she fa

Comments

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    ToryJim said:

Sandpit said:

ToryJim said:

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/856099118451757057

Labour MP: our leader would make a shite Prime Minister. Vote Labour.

Beyond parody.

He thinks that approach will save him. It won't.
    There's 46 days more of this to go - watching dozens of moderate Labour MPs in what are now marginal seats squirming to get away from Corbyn to save their own skin, it's going to be hilarious viewing!
    I think it's genuinely tragic. I remember what it feels like from the other end of a drubbing and just on a human level you have to have sympathy.
    Yes. Streeting is not one of the Morons, he hasn't served as one of Corbyn's shadow ministers and was not responsible for any of the mistakes of the last Labour Government, and, insofar as I'm aware, has never been what could be described as a supporter of the new regime.

He's also, barring a Houdini-like act of electoral escapology, utterly doomed.

The man's liable to become collateral damage in what is to come, but such is life. Labour, as an institution, has transgressed. It must be punished.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,594
    IanB2 said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Beyond parody.

May be so, but before he’s gone, we can at least admire his honesty…
    Yes, he's a decent guy and understands where Labour ought to be positioned. Unfortunately for Labour more of their sensible MPs are in vulnerable circumstances, the loonies are mostly in hypersafe seats sadly.
    It will lose him more support than it gains. He is being disowned by many Corbynites already, and of course the picture of division and in-fighting won't win Labour any support either. But he is clearly way too trapped by previous utterances to have any other credible choices.
    Exactly, Labour MPs in marginal seats must feel like French aristos in the 1790s waiting for the grim inevitability of a cart ride to the Place de la Revolution.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,065
    edited April 2017
    Mr. Fishing, interesting list :)

Mr. O, Mr. Rabbit's right about the Golden Rule (only bet what you can afford to lose).

The way polling stands, there will be some odd results, one way or the other.

Edited extra bit: time for me to be off, but I'll probably back to enjoy/suffer the French exit poll.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,945
    Could Labour meltdown? It's all about vote distribution:

https://electionsetc.com/2017/04/22/another-labour-meltdown/

• Options

Quincel said:

If the Tories really are strong seconds in Scotland, surely there's a chance of the SNP slipping in a lot more than 10 seats? DYOR, but the 12/1 at Skybet on the SNP failing to win a majority of Scottish seats looks a good longshot to me. It's basically a 12/1 bet on the Tories doing so, which seems less crazy if they actually do poll 50% nationally.

Not a prayer. The Conservatives would be very pleased with 3 seats. The 12 projected by Curtice based on the Panelbase survey would be extraordinary.

But even if the Tories and Lib Dems combined took 15, that would still leave the SNP with 44.

So long as (a) Scottish politics remains divided along Unionist/Nationalist lines, and (b) SLAB is still alive, the SNP are (mostly) untouchable.
    When you factor in the shy Tories, surely numerous in Nat occupied Scotland, Curtice is downplaying Conservative prospects.
    Hmmmm... I don't discount the possibility of a shy Tory vote by any means, but it would have to be huge to make a big dent in the SNP's Westminster contingent. And even if the Thatcher era resentment of the party is fading, you suspect that there's still quite a lot of that kind of sentiment about.

I'd be astonished if SNP+Green didn't equal at least 45% on polling day, and given that the Greens are about as much of a niche interest in Westminster elections North of the Border as they are South of it, that means the SNP getting 42% minimum. Against that, Conservative support is capped by the presence of the blocking group of residual Labour voters. 30% would be an excellent result for them.
  • Options

Quincel said:

If the Tories really are strong seconds in Scotland, surely there's a chance of the SNP slipping in a lot more than 10 seats? DYOR, but the 12/1 at Skybet on the SNP failing to win a majority of Scottish seats looks a good longshot to me. It's basically a 12/1 bet on the Tories doing so, which seems less crazy if they actually do poll 50% nationally.

Not a prayer. The Conservatives would be very pleased with 3 seats. The 12 projected by Curtice based on the Panelbase survey would be extraordinary.

But even if the Tories and Lib Dems combined took 15, that would still leave the SNP with 44.

So long as (a) Scottish politics remains divided along Unionist/Nationalist lines, and (b) SLAB is still alive, the SNP are (mostly) untouchable.
    When you factor in the shy Tories, surely numerous in Nat occupied Scotland, Curtice is downplaying Conservative prospects.
    Curtice isn't doing anything other than saying what would happen if certain polling numbers were applied to the last election.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,245
    valleyboy said:

Omnium said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Ynys Mon? I've backed the Tories at 4/1.

Omnium said:

Plaid pretty well nailed on. Wales opinion poll out tomorrow will confirm.
    The Welsh poll tomorrow is likely going to show no Labour seats west or north of the Valleys. Which will be horrific enough. But if Labour truly melts down, and the valleys aren't ultra safe, which seats there might also fall? Would welcome your thoughts....
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    ToryJim said:

Beyond parody.

Given the ongoing demographic changes in Ilford North I wouldn't be surprised if Streeting Bucks the trend and holds his seat. It is trending more and more Labour every year - Ilford South used to be a marginal and it's a safe seat now for the same reason.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,945
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

It's stunning what a terrible choice this is.

Fillon under criminal investigation for defrauding the taxpayer of substantial sums of money.

Le Pen whose main selling point is that she is slightly less insane than her father.

Macron, a man who married his teacher and is allegedly living in a secret gay relationship (and who doesn't even have a party to support him in Parliament).

Melenchon who makes Corbyn look like a rather wet Lib Dem.

Is this really the best France could do?

Fillon is a crook (who does at least recognise that France's biggest problem is its schloretic labour market).

Macron is a Blair-eque centrist (who does at least recognise that France's biggest problem is its schloretic labour market).

Le Pen thinks the biggest problem with France is the excessively business friendly environment.

Melenchon thinks that all income about EUR75,000 should be taxed at 100%.
    Macron is a failed minister from the administration of one of the most catastrophically unpopular Presidents in history with an, um, interesting back story. And he probably is the best choice. Remarkable.
    Macron actually pushed through - against opposition from the President and his party - some modest labour market reforms. For that, he deserves credit. From a technocratic perspective, he simplified and improved the ridiculously complex set of social charges on employees.

I think the issue is that, were he elected, he would struggle to get further reforms through, especially without a party. And protected interests would go to the barricades.

But he is tough. And - personally - I like his unconventional personal life. That suggests refreshing degree of not giving a fuck about people think of him.
    But he clearly DOES give a fuck what people think about him, that's why he is (allegedly) lying about his domestic set-up. And it's the lies that upset the French, more than the (alleged) homosexuality.

That said, some conservative Catholic voters won't like the gay stuff either. But he was never going to win them. They're all for Fillon,
    i have this morning slightly increased my cash on Fillon. Just a feeling that his conservative, catholic heartland votes might turn out in a way that lets him through.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

For those who missed it, here's my scientifically defined measure of Labour's performance, in seat changes, listed according to Roman battlefield defeats (or victories, if Labour gain seats):

-100 Adrianople [Malmesbury]
    -90 Cap Bon [Malmesbury’s suggestion]
    -80 Allia [another_richard’s suggestion]

-70 Cannae
    -60 Arausio
    -50 Teutoberg Forest
    -40 Carrhae
    -30 Lake Trasimene

If it's not too bad:
    -20 Asculum
    -10 Heraclea

And, if Labour actually increase their seat numbers:
    +10 Zela
    +20 Tigranocerta
    +30 Zama

(If the polling keeps the Conservatives on 50%, I may have to add Eastern aspects, with Manzikert, Kleidion and the Fourth Crusade on standby, if needed).

Can I suggest that you don't add the eastern empires defects on (at lest not yet)

To push your metaphor perhaps the Lib Dems can be considered as the Eastern Roman Empire, if this is a total wipe out for Labour then it could be 476 when Odoacer ended the western roman empire, but instead of declaring himself Emprea, instead he sent the crown and all the symbolic stuff to the empire in the East. So if Lab come out smaller than Lib Dem and Lib Dem become the official opposition, this would be the appropriate metaphor.

Perhaps this election could be at worst the 410 sacking of Rome?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,090

valleyboy said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

The Welsh poll tomorrow is likely going to show no Labour seats west or north of the Valleys. Which will be horrific enough. But if Labour truly melts down, and the valleys aren't ultra safe, which seats there might also fall? Would welcome your thoughts....
    Torfaen.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    SeanT said:

That said, some conservative Catholic voters won't like the gay stuff either. But he was never going to win them. They're all for Fillon,

Or for Sainte-Marine-de-la-Mer.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Fishing said:

For those who missed it, here's my scientifically defined measure of Labour's performance, in seat changes, listed according to Roman battlefield defeats (or victories, if Labour gain seats):

Here is my corresponding list derived from British naval history, with English/British victories if Labour lose seats, and defeats if they gain them:

-100 Battle of the Nile
    -80 Trafalgar
    -60 Taranto
    -40 Dogger Bank
    -20 Jutland
    0 Cape Finisterre
    +20 Convoy PQ17
    +40 Sinking of the Prince of Wales and the Repulse
    An interesting set of choices there, Mr. Fishing, particularly that you put the Nile as a greater victory than Trafalgar. Perhaps it was at the tactical level but surely not at the strategic, war changing, one.

By the same token you include Jutland as a positive win when I should have thought it was a strategic success but a tactical failure.

I think I would replace Convoy PQ17, which was in the great scheme of things not important, with Jutland and Insert The Saintes in the -20 slot (that battle being both a strategic and tactical success).
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Sandpit said:

ToryJim said:

Beyond parody.

There's 46 days more of this to go - watching dozens of moderate Labour MPs in what are now marginal seats squirming to get away from Corbyn to save their own skin, it's going to be hilarious viewing!
    I think it's genuinely tragic. I remember what it feels like from the other end of a drubbing and just on a human level you have to have sympathy.
    Yes. Streeting is not one of the Morons, he hasn't served as one of Corbyn's shadow ministers and was not responsible for any of the mistakes of the last Labour Government, and, insofar as I'm aware, has never been what could be described as a supporter of the new regime.

The man's liable to become collateral damage in what is to come, but such is life. Labour, as an institution, has transgressed. It must be punished.

ToryJim said:

Sandpit said:

ToryJim said:

Beyond parody.

Streeting is very likely to lose this time but is young enough to come back in Ilford or somewhere else, if Labour come to their senses.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,702
    Looks like the French turnout is heading for the high side, going on the released data for noon.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,409
    kyf_100 said:

Quincel said:

I see your logic but the trouble with that bet is, since polling puts the Lib Dems and Labour absolutely nowhere in Scotland, what you're effectively saying when you say "SNP failing to win a majority" is "Tories to win a majority in Scotland" - doesn't seem like such a good bet when you put it that way.
    I would be very surprised if the LibDems didn't win three seats in Scotland. The Holyrood elections were excellent predictors last time, which tells you the LibDems should gain both NE Fife and Edinburgh West.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,245
    Sean_F said:

valleyboy said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Torfaen.
    Interesting call. If the Tories can mop up the UKIP vote and Labour does drop markedly, that could be a big win for the blues. Labour has been lucky in the past that they have had an evenly split opposition.

(I'm just looking to find my Gower equivalent win from last time! Torfaen might be it....)
  • Options

The key learning point is that when a party is repelling voters, you (quite reasonably) get the biggest number of switchers in locations where there are the greatest number of (former) supporters. This is why modelling using UNS is potentially misleading this election.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,879
    valleyboy said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Will look forwards to seeing that. Apart from Labour quite a few parties must have high hopes for Wales.
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 606

valleyboy said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

At a loss at the moment to know what to think. I understand tomorrows polling dire for Labour, so all bets off for me at the moment. I am just hoping that the strong residual support, particularly in the South will hold up to some extent on polling today.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Fpt and on topic

Sexologists have long known bestiality/zoophilia is a very common female fantasy (much more common in women than in men). Bears, stallions and gorillas are the usual objects of desire. This is probably because they have features of "hyper masculinity".

There are hints of this in Disney's Beauty and the Beast, mentioned yesterday. After the Beast is transformed into Prince Charming, Belle (Emma Watson) looks at him and says "would you mind growing a beard?" He smiles at her - and growls. Making her giggle in an aroused way. The entire exchange implies, very clearly, that she rather fancied him as a Beast, horns and all.

In A Grain of Truth, by Andrej Sapkoswki, the Beast comments that women are much more interested in him now than they were when he was fully human.
  • Options
    Can someone give me some help? A thread or two ago, I saw results of a poll published showing people's views on various possible manifesto commitments (minimum wage of £10, 0.7% DFID target, more NHS funding etc). I now can't find it for the life of me - anyone have a link? Thanks.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,605
    IanB2 said:

The key learning point is that when a party is repelling voters, you (quite reasonably) get the biggest number of switchers in locations where there are the greatest number of (former) supporters.
    I never thought we'd reach that point in England or Wales for Labour, but no longer ruled out.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,243

Fishing said:

Here is my corresponding list derived from British naval history, with English/British victories if Labour lose seats, and defeats if they gain them:

-100 Battle of the Nile
    -80 Trafalgar
    -60 Taranto
    -40 Dogger Bank
    -20 Jutland
    0 Cape Finisterre
    +20 Convoy PQ17
    An interesting set of choices there, Mr. Fishing, particularly that you put the Nile as a greater victory than Trafalgar. Perhaps it was at the tactical level but surely not at the strategic, war changing, one.

By the same token you include Jutland as a positive win when I should have thought it was a strategic success but a tactical failure.

I think I would replace Convoy PQ17, which was in the great scheme of things not important, with Jutland and Insert The Saintes in the -20 slot (that battle being both a strategic and tactical success).
    The Nile crippled the French invasion of Egypt and threat to India whereas the threat of an invasion of Britain had much diminished before Trafalgar. Ironically the French and Spanish ships lost at Trafalgar would have likely changed sides alongside Spain in 1808.

Quiberon Bay should also be included.

As should Chesapeake Bay among the defeats.

• Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,579

Fishing said:

-100 Battle of the Nile
    -80 Trafalgar
    -60 Taranto
    -40 Dogger Bank
    -20 Jutland
    0 Cape Finisterre
    +20 Convoy PQ17

Thanks for your feedback Mr Llama. I was thinking mostly about tactical results, rather than strategic results. Of course any set of rankings like this will be subjective, but on your specific points:

- the strategic impact of Trafalgar: hadn't Napoleon already broken camp and turned east to deal with the Austrians and Russians by the time he got news of Trafalgar? Whereas the Nile conclusively doomed his Egyptian campaign and the French threat to India.

- I take your point about Jutland. I was thinking about the tactical results of the battle fleet clash, rather than the battle cruiser engagements, as the former was far more important. I agree with the substitution you propose. Let's leave Jutland out as it's (still) too controversial and replace Convoy PQ17 with the sinking of the Prince of Wales and replace the latter with the Battle of Beachy Head. I've also inserted the Spanish Armada and Sluys. The list is now:

-140 Spanish Armada
    -120 Sluys
    -100 Battle of the Nile
    -80 Trafalgar
    -60 Taranto
    -40 Dogger Bank
    -20 The Saints
    0 Cape Finisterre
    +20 Sinking of the Prince of Wales and the Repulse
    +40 Beachy Head

• Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited April 2017
    Beware it might be total bollocks (there's a lot about) but the French-speaking broadcaster in Belgium has a list of results for some of overseas France.

https://www.rtbf.be/info/monde/detail_presidentielle-francaise-la-participation-a-midi-direct?id=9587638

French Guiana (where all the protests have been recently) is rather, er, interesting;

Résultats définitifs en Guyane:
    Mélenchon 24,72
    Le Pen 24,29
    Macron 18,75
    Fillon 14,66
    Hamon 5,69

• Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

Quincel said:

Hmmmm... I don't discount the possibility of a shy Tory vote by any means, but it would have to be huge to make a big dent in the SNP's Westminster contingent. And even if the Thatcher era resentment of the party is fading, you suspect that there's still quite a lot of that kind of sentiment about.

I'd be astonished if SNP+Green didn't equal at least 45% on polling day, and given that the Greens are about as much of a niche interest in Westminster elections North of the Border as they are South of it, that means the SNP getting 42% minimum. Against that, Conservative support is capped by the presence of the blocking group of residual Labour voters. 30% would be an excellent result for them.
    FWIW Scottish Tories aren't shy - this is a by product of the party's Unionist history.

I think the pundits and current leadership classification of the likes of SLAB & SLID as Unionist parties is misplaced. I'd envisage the greater the Tory landslide the rump of these 2 parties in Scotland will be faced with a hard choice - I think what remains of SLAB will need to soften it's stance on independence to have any hope of reviving itself in an FPTP system.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Fpt and on topic

Sexologists have long known bestiality/zoophilia is a very common female fantasy (much more common in women than in men). Bears, stallions and gorillas are the usual objects of desire. This is probably because they have features of "hyper masculinity".

There are hints of this in Disney's Beauty and the Beast, mentioned yesterday. After the Beast is transformed into Prince Charming, Belle (Emma Watson) looks at him and says "would you mind growing a beard?" He smiles at her - and growls. Making her giggle in an aroused way. The entire exchange implies, very clearly, that she rather fancied him as a Beast, horns and all.

I guess, but I was thinking more why anti-gay people, male and female, seem to come out with the bestiality comparisons so much, rather than merely zoophilia (I understand there is quite the niche market in, er, unconventional erotic literature of that description).

Plus people fantasize about shagging aliens, not all that necessarily very human looking aliens, all the time. The Mass Effect series is practically built on the idea.
  • Options

valleyboy said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

That's not strictly true. Firstly, I would expect Llanelli to hold. There's a heavily split opposition, with Plaid in second place. If Plaid can pull that one off they'd be on course for an SNP-esque rout of Labour in the Valleys as well. That's not on the cards.

There's also, of course, Swansea - but under present circumstances I'd only count Swansea East as being safe for Labour. Swansea West is vulnerable to a 'unite the Right' vote, given the size of the Ukip count. The Lib Dems also used to have a good vote there pre-2015; if they recover primarily at Labour's expense then the Labour candidate might be in trouble.

Torfaen is the one to watch if there is a proper Labour bloodbath. It's the Eastern-most outpost of the Valleys seats, adjacent to the Newports (both vulnerable) and Monmouth (safe Tory.) The Conservatives were second there last time, and Con+Ukip was only about 1,000 votes short of the winning Labour total.

It would require almost an 11% swing, but under current circumstances you have to reckon that's not entirely out of the question.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

-70 Cannae
    -60 Arausio
    -50 Teutoberg Forest
    -40 Carrhae
    -30 Lake Trasimene

If it's not too bad:
    -20 Asculum
    -10 Heraclea

And, if Labour actually increase their seat numbers:
    +10 Zela
    +20 Tigranocerta
    +30 Zama

(If the polling keeps the Conservatives on 50%, I may have to add Eastern aspects, with Manzikert, Kleidion and the Fourth Crusade on standby, if needed).

Can I suggest that you don't add the eastern empires defects on (at lest not yet)

To push your metaphor perhaps the Lib Dems can be considered as the Eastern Roman Empire, if this is a total wipe out for Labour then it could be 476 when Odoacer ended the western roman empire, but instead of declaring himself Emprea, instead he sent the crown and all the symbolic stuff to the empire in the East. So if Lab come out smaller than Lib Dem and Lib Dem become the official opposition, this would be the appropriate metaphor.

Perhaps this election could be at worst the 410 sacking of Rome?
    I think Cap Bon fulfils that function. It was the extinction event for the Western Empire. Had Africa been reconquered, they could have gone onto the offensive. With that massive defeat, they were finished.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,156
    rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Quincel said:

I see your logic but the trouble with that bet is, since polling puts the Lib Dems and Labour absolutely nowhere in Scotland, what you're effectively saying when you say "SNP failing to win a majority" is "Tories to win a majority in Scotland" - doesn't seem like such a good bet when you put it that way.
    I would be very surprised if the LibDems didn't win three seats in Scotland. The Holyrood elections were excellent predictors last time, which tells you the LibDems should gain both NE Fife and Edinburgh West.
    Interesting - thanks for the tip!

Question for the Scots in the room - will we ever see Lib and Lab tactical voting for Con, if the SNP shape the election into a proxy referendum? Would that change things?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

It's stunning what a terrible choice this is.
    Macron, a man who married his teacher and is allegedly living in a secret gay relationship

What does that have to do with the price of fish ?
    Keeping thing secret (if that is what is happening) rather than merely being private should be unnecessary, and invites questions about if there are other, more significant, secrets.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,995

Quincel said:

My logic is as follows:

1. Let's assume the two Scottish polls are correct. Thus Scotland currently is roughly 43%/29% SNP/Tory.
    2. Given the FPTP system and minimal non SNP/Tory strongholds, let's assume the Tories are likely to win a majority of Scottish seats if they win a plurality of votes.
    (A couple of LD seats benefit the bet, but are of relatively minor importance. SLAB's final seat slightly harms the bet, but is likewise minor.)

Question: Are the chances of Tory momentum increasing for a further ~6% swing more or less than 8% (12/1)?
    Conclusion: Given Tory strength and recent Scottish volatility, probably, though it remains unlikely.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Quincel said:

Question for the Scots in the room - will we ever see Lib and Lab tactical voting for Con, if the SNP shape the election into a proxy referendum? Would that change things?
    Yes - in the areas that are pro the Union ie north east and borders
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited April 2017
    IanB2 said:

The key learning point is that when a party is repelling voters, you (quite reasonably) get the biggest number of switchers in locations where there are the greatest number of (former) supporters. This is why modelling using UNS is potentially misleading this election.
    I have just put a couple of quid on Tories in Leicester South. The opposition could split in this university seat, allowing the Tories through the middle. I dont think Jon Ashworth has much local following. Could be a meltdown.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,027
    edited April 2017
    Sandpit said:

ToryJim said:

Beyond parody.

For those of us who want to see the Labour Party survive there is quite a lot at stake here. The ideal outcome is for there to be clear differential swings between those associated with Corbyn, and those who have distanced themselves from him. For me, it's quite easy: my Labour MP nominated Corbyn; ergo I will vote Lib Dem. However, if I lived in Ilford North I would vote Labour, but in no way would I want that vote to be interpreted as an endorsement of Corbyn. The crucial question is who survives to pick up the pieces.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

https://twitter.com/UKGE2020/status/856073872701050880

Yay!

Kind of a shame they can't have Ukip 6.5, Green 3.25 mind you.

Assuming Labour levels of support holding up at around 44% in London, and in the low 50s in Manchester and Liverpool, back of the envelope gives Labour on 19% in the rest of England. Is that right?
  • Options
    calum said:

Quincel said:

FWIW Scottish Tories aren't shy - this is a by product of the party's Unionist history.

I think the pundits and current leadership classification of the likes of SLAB & SLID as Unionist parties is misplaced. I'd envisage the greater the Tory landslide the rump of these 2 parties in Scotland will be faced with a hard choice - I think what remains of SLAB will need to soften it's stance on independence to have any hope of reviving itself in an FPTP system.
    Are the Conservatives' voters all as forthright as the actual members though?

If Labour gave in on independence then it would cease to have any function - not that I'm sure that it has any function as it is, except as a repository for the votes of its own surviving force-of-habit supporters. It might as well tell its members to join the SNP, and dissolve itself.

The Liberal Democrats are a more avowedly Unionist party and, like the Tories, do best in No-leaning areas. They have no incentive to change.
  • Options

Quincel said:

I don't think there are shy Tories anymore, even in Scotland - based off the subsamples pollsters get up there, they find them very easily.
  • Options

valleyboy said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

The Welsh poll tomorrow is likely going to show no Labour seats west or north of the Valleys.
    Hmm, time to check out the constituency betting markets again.

• Options
    MTimT said:

Yay!

Assuming Labour levels of support holding up at around 44% in London, and in the low 50s in Manchester and Liverpool, back of the envelope gives Labour on 19% in the rest of England. Is that right?
    Those are pretty big assumptions
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Astonishing that an ICM poll with a record Conservative share and lead should attract almost no comment. 22% leads are unremarkable.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Scottish independence voting intention: Yes: 43% (+1) No: 52% (-1) (via Panelbase / ended 21 Apr)
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Yay!

Haven't done the maths, but would be very surprised if Labour even got 50% of the overall vote in Greater Manchester in 2015. Imagine they're polling 40% at most now.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Fishing said:

-100 Battle of the Nile
    -80 Trafalgar
    -60 Taranto
    -40 Dogger Bank
    -20 Jutland
    0 Cape Finisterre
    +20 Convoy PQ17

Thanks for your feedback Mr Llama. I was thinking mostly about tactical results, rather than strategic results. Of course any set of rankings like this will be subjective, but on your specific points:

- the strategic impact of Trafalgar: hadn't Napoleon already broken camp and turned east to deal with the Austrians and Russians by the time he got news of Trafalgar? Whereas the Nile conclusively doomed his Egyptian campaign and the French threat to India.

- I take your point about Jutland. I was thinking about the tactical results of the battle fleet clash, rather than the battle cruiser engagements, as the former was far more important. I agree with the substitution you propose. Let's leave Jutland out as it's (still) too controversial and replace Convoy PQ17 with the sinking of the Prince of Wales and replace the latter with the Battle of Beachy Head. I've also inserted the Spanish Armada and Sluys. The list is now:

-140 Spanish Armada
    -120 Sluys
    -100 Battle of the Nile
    -80 Trafalgar
    -60 Taranto
    -40 Dogger Bank
    -20 The Saints
    0 Cape Finisterre
    +40 Beachy Head

If you want a medieval battle in then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sandwich_(1217)

is preferable to Sluys.

And you really need Quiberon Bay in as well.

And IMO to replace Beachy Head with Chesapeake Bay.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Yay!

Labour won't be at 44% in London.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Yay!

I think it will be more like the high thirties in London.
  • Options

Astonishing that an ICM poll with a record Conservative share and lead should attract almost no comment. 22% leads are unremarkable.

We'll be back to 'normal' 14-15 soon.

Or I need to adjust my betting position.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2017
    Belgium and Swiss press is leaking result as usual...

Outre-mér that voted yesterday

Martinique: Mélenchon 27.36% Macron 25.53% Fillon 16.85% LePen 10.94% Hamon 9,75%
    Guyane: Mélenchon 24.72% LePen 24.29% Macron 18.75% Fillon 14.66% Hamon 5.69%
    Guadaloupe: : Macron 30.32% Mélenchon 23,99% Fillon 14.87% LePen 13.47% Hamon 9,72%
    St Pierre et Miquelon: : Mélenchon 35.45% LePen 18.16% Macron 17.97% Fillon 9,32% LHamon 8,24%

Waiting with trepidation for results from Saint Martin and Saint Barthélemy
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    MTimT said:

Yay!

Survation and Yougov have London subsamples that place Labour at 32 and 36 respectively. Comres have 32%.

LDs initially look good for 15-20% across London and the South. For context they were 22% in London and c.28% across the South in 2010.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Quincel said:

As many SLAB/SLID supporters who'd vote tactically to keep out the SNP would vote to keep out SCON !

SCON supporters would certainly vote tactically to keep out the SNP - might help SLID in a few seats but SLAB are beyond help !!
  • Options
    Quincel said:

MTimT said:

Yay!

Haven't done the maths, but would be very surprised if Labour even got 50% of the overall vote in Greater Manchester in 2015. Imagine they're polling 40% at most now.
    2015 was 58.5% in the City of Manchester, only 46% in Greater Manchester.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,353

Quincel said:

30% would be a miracle
  • Options

I think most people are too stunned to take it all in.
  • Options
    calum said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Quincel said:

SCON supporters would certainly vote tactically to keep out the SNP - might help SLID in a few seats but SLAB are beyond help !!
    If for no other reason than even if way behind SLAB before, SCON presumably think they could pip them now, I should think.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    kle4 said:

20% leads is the new norm, - and you are running out of time to change your betting position.
  • Options

Quincel said:

MTimT said:

Yay!

Cheers. Surprised only a 12% drop tbh.
  • Options

Martinique: Mélenchon 27.36% Macron 25.53% Fillon 16.85% LePen 10.94% Hamon 9,75%
    Guadaloupe: : Macron 30.32% Mélenchon 23,99% Fillon 14.87% LePen 13.47% Hamon 9,72%
    St Pierre et Miquelon: : Mélenchon 35.45% LePen 18.16% Macron 17.97% Fillon 9,32% LHamon 8,24%

How does that compare with 2012?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited April 2017
    SeanT said:
    Friends and family of mine, usually not interested in politics one bit, bring up Corbyn and what an absolute loon he seems. Not singing the anthem and supporting the IRA is just not a good look for working class voters, even if theyre not particularly bothered about the Queen
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @Fishing and @Another_Richard

Gents,

I take your point about whether Trafalgar really saved England from threat of invasion in 1805/6. That must remain a matter for debate. What I think sets it above the Nile is that it shattered French and Spanish claims to seapower superiority not just for the remainder of the Napoleonic war but for the rest of the 19th century. Not until the early 20th century was the RNs mastery in the big oceans seriously challenged.

Mr. Fishing's new list seems very reasonable to me, though I am sure some would quibble over detail. I wonder what Mr. Dura_Ace, gent of this parish and former RN officer, would make of it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

20% leads is the new norm, - and you are running out of time to change your betting position.
    6.5 weeks to go, I think ebb and flow will see a move to Lab in that time.

I have some pretty decent constituency bets to cover my arse.
  • Options
    Thanks ToryJim, Mr Meeks and Sean F for responses. I realize that the figures for London, Manchester and Liverpool are big ifs (based on the last mayoral votes figures where available). I was just running with the idea that Labour's vote is solid in the cities, and wondering what that meant for elsewhere.

The alternative explanation, as you all say, is that the vote is not so solid in the cities as a whole. That probably means that a lot of the constituencies in the outer rings are more vulnerable than previously thought.
  • Options

If Labour are looking for good news, no poll today showed their vote share falling.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Quincel said:

Yes - in the areas that are pro the Union ie north east and borders
    Hard to see many labour voting Tory. Lib Dems are snake oil salesmen so would sell their granny if it profits them regardless of any principles.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,918
    Looks like Melanchon is massively outperforming if those outremer figures are right
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I am waiting for the first poll to show the Tories on double Labour. Can't be too far off.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

If Labour are looking for good news, no poll today showed their vote share falling.
    And there does appear to be a floor, despite all this.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,964
    malcolmg said:

Quincel said:

30% would be a miracle
    I'll be dancing the Gay Gordons

Fat Boy Slim is gone
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Quincel said:

My logic is as follows:

1. Let's assume the two Scottish polls are correct. Thus Scotland currently is roughly 43%/29% SNP/Tory.
    2. Given the FPTP system and minimal non SNP/Tory strongholds, let's assume the Tories are likely to win a majority of Scottish seats if they win a plurality of votes.
    (A couple of LD seats benefit the bet, but are of relatively minor importance. SLAB's final seat slightly harms the bet, but is likewise minor.)

Question: Are the chances of Tory momentum increasing for a further ~6% swing more or less than 8% (12/1)?
    Conclusion: Given Tory strength and recent Scottish volatility, probably, though it remains unlikely.
    CUCKOO, lets suppose my grandmother had cojones , was she my grandfather , answer is a resounding NO.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,043
    With no party organisation Macron has a mountain to climb. Fillon and Le Pen have the most motivated support. They should both get through as a result. A low turnout R2 could well deliver victory for Le Pen.
  • Options

@Fishing and @Another_Richard

Gents,

I take your point about whether Trafalgar really saved England from threat of invasion in 1805/6. That must remain a matter for debate. What I think sets it above the Nile is that it shattered French and Spanish claims to seapower superiority not just for the remainder of the Napoleonic war but for the rest of the 19th century. Not until the early 20th century was the RNs mastery in the big oceans seriously challenged.

Mr. Fishing's new list seems very reasonable to me, though I am sure some would quibble over detail. I wonder what Mr. Dura_Ace, gent of this parish and former RN officer, would make of it.

The French innovation of promoting from the ranks worked well in the army, up against officers of their opponents mostly appointed through privilege, wealth and connection. In the navy, where some knowledge of commanding a ship came in handy, it wasn't such a success.
  • Options

Looks like Melanchon is massively outperforming if those outremer figures are right

I hope so.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Quincel said:

Quincel said:

MTimT said:

Yay!

Cheers. Surprised only a 12% drop tbh.
    Even though Labour polled around the same in Greater Manchester in 2015 as they did in 2005, the geography of the vote has changed. The gap in 2005 was 52.5% to 47%, so the gap is increasing. Labour gaining in Manchester and Oldham, loosing elsewhere.
  • Options

That looks very good for Melanchon and Le Pen.
  • Options
    The regional breakdowns suggest that there is very little swing from Lab-Con in the already Tory dominated south. The swing is the remainder of the country.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,043
    In a close vote, the London result could be crucial in the French election.
  • Options
    Further to my "lepers don't get sympathy shags" comment this morning:

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/856118899208855552
  • Options

Beware it might be total bollocks (there's a lot about) but the French-speaking broadcaster in Belgium has a list of results for some of overseas France.

https://www.rtbf.be/info/monde/detail_presidentielle-francaise-la-participation-a-midi-direct?id=9587638

French Guiana (where all the protests have been recently) is rather, er, interesting;

Mélenchon 24,72
    Le Pen 24,29
    Macron 18,75
    Fillon 14,66
    Hamon 5,69

Even if accurate, I would worry this might be like the Gibraltar result, at the start of the referendum night.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Quincel said:

30% would be a miracle

Fat Boy Slim is gone
    More like round and round the mulberry bush, will be no Tory plague in Scotland
  • Options

Quincel said:

MTimT said:

Yay!

So putting Manchester and Liverpool in the mid 40s% and London high 30s% gives rest of England at 21%. That must be close to extinction event levels outside the biggest cities.

Is there are market for Labour England seats outside the inner cities?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,964
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Quincel said:

30% would be a miracle

Fat Boy Slim is gone
    More like round and round the mulberry bush, will be no Tory plague in Scotland
    cough up malc

at this rate the Nats will be lucky to get in to double figures - that's votes not MPs :-)
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,741

Sean_F said:

valleyboy said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Torfaen.
    Interesting call. If the Tories can mop up the UKIP vote and Labour does drop markedly, that could be a big win for the blues. Labour has been lucky in the past that they have had an evenly split opposition.

(I'm just looking to find my Gower equivalent win from last time! Torfaen might be it....)
    Weren't we told that the UKIP vote was not all 'Tories on holiday' and that they were a danger to Labour?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I hope so.
    Sean F, I don't see you as a Fan of Melanchon?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    BigRich said:

Mélenchon 24,72
    Le Pen 24,29
    Macron 18,75
    Fillon 14,66
    Hamon 5,69

Even if accurate, I would worry this might be like the Gibraltar result, at the start of the referendum night.
    Of course as I said there are extenuating circumstances in Guiana, bizarre for Le Pen to do well here.
  • Options
    Guadaloupe has LePen up from 5 to 13%. Fillon is down 9% compared to Sarko. Melenchon+Macron+Hamon are 2 points up Hollande (57)+Melenchon (5) score

Martinique: Marine is up 7 points, Fillon is down almost 9 points, Melenchon+Macron+Hamon are 3 points up on Melenchon+Hollande

Guyane: LePen up 14 points. Fillon down 9 again. Melenchon+Macron+Hamon are 2 points down on Melenchon+Holland

St Pierre: Marine 3 points up. Fillon more than 10 down.Melenchon+Macron+Hamon are 10 points up on Hollande+Melenchon

Sean_F said:

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Not really surprising that over-the-seas should prefer revolutionary candidates.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

My logic is as follows:

CUCKOO, lets suppose my grandmother had cojones , was she my grandfather , answer is a resounding NO.
    I made two assumptions: that the polls are right and that the party with the most votes will win the most seats. The first is unknowable, since there's still 6 weeks of campaigning. How much do you want to bet on the second?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

valleyboy said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Torfaen.

Weren't we told that the UKIP vote was not all 'Tories on holiday' and that they were a danger to Labour?
    Someone suggested yesterday UKIP acted as a bit of a gateway for former Lab to now switch to Con.
  • Options
    Turnout was down in Outre-mér
  • Options

Sean_F said:

valleyboy said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Torfaen.

I think that that was a working assumption based on the idea that UKIP were drawing support from both Tories and Labour and, hence, when the UKIP vote unravelled, their voters would go back 'home'. However, the latest polls are undermining the second part of that theory. It appears that there is significant Labour to UKIP to Tory traffic. Thanks, Corbyn.
  • Options

OK but, do we have a reasonable comparison with an earlier election? the others may not have stood but how did Le Pen do last time?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,918

Guadaloupe has LePen up from 5 to 13%. Fillon is down 9% compared to Sarko. Melenchon+Macron+Hamon are 2 points up Hollande (57)+Melenchon (5) score

Martinique: Marine is up 7 points, Fillon is down almost 9 points, Melenchon+Macron+Hamon are 3 points up on Melenchon+Hollande

Guyane: LePen up 14 points. Fillon down 9 again. Melenchon+Macron+Hamon are 2 points down on Melenchon+Holland

St Pierre: Marine 3 points up. Fillon more than 10 down.Melenchon+Macron+Hamon are 10 points up on Hollande+Melenchon

Sean_F said:

The left are up. Melanchon absurdly so. Fillon has underperformed. Le Pen ahead but perhaps not quite enough.

Ridiculous to interpolate to the whole country but if so it's Melanchon v Macron or Le Pen.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sean_F said:

Chortle .... :smile:
  • Options

Sean_F said:

The left are up. Melanchon absurdly so. Fillon has underperformed. Le Pen ahead but perhaps not quite enough.

Ridiculous to interpolate to the whole country but if so it's Melanchon v Macron or Le Pen.
    And this was supposed to be the right's to lose when it started. Poor.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

If Fillon is down ~9% on Sarkozy everywhere, that's 17% for him. Le Pen up ~8% on 2012 (though this is on 4 tiny samples and very variable) would give her 26%.

So this suggests Le Pen wins first round, Fillon doesn't make it. But god knows how well these shifts correlate with the national picture.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,579
    IanB2 said:

The French innovation of promoting from the ranks worked well in the army, up against officers of their opponents mostly appointed through privilege, wealth and connection. In the navy, where some knowledge of commanding a ship came in handy, it wasn't such a success.

@MrB2

Also, because the RN dominated the seas, while the French were mostly blockaded, they could never practice and drill in wartime conditions on the ocean as the RN could. Sort of reminds me of Corbyn's habit of debating with people he agrees with in safe spaces, rather than trying to convince those he doesn't.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Thanks
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

valleyboy said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Torfaen.

Someone suggested yesterday UKIP acted as a bit of a gateway for former Lab to now switch to Con.
    Switcher Numbers to Con (across ICM, ComRes, Survation, Yougov)

Labour Range: 6-13%
    Lib Dem range: 13-22%
    UKIP range: 34-48%
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Fishing said:

The list is now:

-140 Spanish Armada
    -120 Sluys
    -100 Battle of the Nile
    -80 Trafalgar
    -60 Taranto
    -40 Dogger Bank
    -20 The Saints
    0 Cape Finisterre
    +40 Beachy Head

Wasn't the Spanish Armada down to good luck, unforced errors by the Spanish, and a fair wind?

Um... I see your point...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Fpt and on topic

I guess, but I was thinking more why anti-gay people, male and female, seem to come out with the bestiality comparisons so much, rather than merely zoophilia (I understand there is quite the niche market in, er, unconventional erotic literature of that description).

Plus people fantasize about shagging aliens, not all that necessarily very human looking aliens, all the time. The Mass Effect series is practically built on the idea.
    I think it is because they are looking for something that is generally regarded as taboo and smearing by association. A dog whistle if you like ;)
This discussion has been closed.