Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why a 1997 style landslide or even a 1983 style landslide migh

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,030
    Scott_P said:

The great irony is the SNP would be looking in much better shape at this election if she had never announced Indyref2.

Chortle...

Heart of stone, etc.

Serves them right for continually banging on about it :p
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Anecdotally, the Unionist vote is really motivated. Indyref2 has really hacked a lot of people off, even some who have been voting SNP as an anti-Tory strategy for years. 30% for the Tories still seems beyond my wildest dreams though. I can't quite bring myself to believe it.

I know many professional people in Scotland, Unionists, prosperous, small c conservatives who like Ruth but still find voting Tory too far. The anger from the poll tax has had an incredible shelf life and even now the Tories are not decontaminated, especially amongst disillusioned ex Labour supporters looking for a home. Reaching that group is going to be very hard.

Nicola Sturgeon has managed to detoxify the Thatcher brand for many people and assumed the mantle of "that woman"

I saw an article yesterday that made the point that Alex Salmond was popular across the political divide, governing for "all of Scotland", until the day he announced the Indyref. At that point he was either on your side, or agin ye.

Nicola made the same mistake. After Indyref1 she was meant to be a unifying figure, until now.

The great irony is the SNP would be looking in much better shape at this election if she had never announced Indyref2.

Chortle...
    Except that "Alex Salmond was popular across the polltical divide line" is bollocks. Alex Salmond has always been an intensely polarising figure. Before IndyRef 1 some of my most mild mannered friends would be driven into expletive filled rage by the mere mention of his name.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,137

We all seem to be ignoring the 'trial run’which is the locals, on Thursday week. If, as predicted, Labour does badly, UKIP catastrophically and the Tories and the LD’s well, then that is going to change the narrative. Especially if, for the less observant and thoughtful commentators, the Tories don’t as well as the wilder predictions.

Locals mere months before general elections have not always been a good indicator of the ge result apparently. It's quite possible the Tories do worse than predicted and that alters some markets and predictions, so I can see the narrative shift, but it would have to be dramatically different from what is expected.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Ah, splitters. Used to be a problem for the Tories. :p
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Chortle...

Heart of stone, etc.

They haven't suffered for it yet! Counting unhatched chickens and all that.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,283

Sandpit said:

Sky News leading with Corbyn's plan for new bank holidays. Is anyone going to ask him about the saints represented, or ask Mrs Bucket about her views on St George's Day parties?

My view on St George's day.

It is a bloody disgrace that we have some Johnny Foreigner as our patron saint. He never set foot in England.

Happy Roman Palestine born in Lydda never stepped foot in England day everybody.
    The Turkish like to claim him as well. ;)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    timmo said:

Yesterday got on Aberdeen South for the Tories at 12/1 this morning 7/2. Still value based on last years results

Checkout the border seat's prices. Insane value.

Pre surge i was going to back Con in BRS at 1/8 or better. It's 1/3!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Chortle...

Heart of stone, etc.

I'm a PB Tory. It's what we do best :smiley:
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

If the polls are accurate, Labour's going to play the part of Alderaan to the Conservatives' Death Star.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster majority at your side, kid.

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

We all seem to be ignoring the 'trial run’which is the locals, on Thursday week. If, as predicted, Labour does badly, UKIP catastrophically and the Tories and the LD’s well, then that is going to change the narrative. Especially if, for the less observant and thoughtful commentators, the Tories don’t as well as the wilder predictions.

This is correct.
    This will tell us more than any opinion poll.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sky News leading with Corbyn's plan for new bank holidays. Is anyone going to ask him about the saints represented, or ask Mrs Bucket about her views on St George's Day parties?

It is a bloody disgrace that we have some Johnny Foreigner as our patron saint. He never set foot in England.

Happy Roman Palestine born in Lydda never stepped foot in England day everybody.
    So he's not only a Johnny Foreigner but also a Muslim too?

The EDL will do their nut in.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Anecdotally, the Unionist vote is really motivated. Indyref2 has really hacked a lot of people off, even some who have been voting SNP as an anti-Tory strategy for years. 30% for the Tories still seems beyond my wildest dreams though. I can't quite bring myself to believe it.

I know many professional people in Scotland, Unionists, prosperous, small c conservatives who like Ruth but still find voting Tory too far. The anger from the poll tax has had an incredible shelf life and even now the Tories are not decontaminated, especially amongst disillusioned ex Labour supporters looking for a home. Reaching that group is going to be very hard.

Nicola Sturgeon has managed to detoxify the Thatcher brand for many people and assumed the mantle of "that woman"

I saw an article yesterday that made the point that Alex Salmond was popular across the political divide, governing for "all of Scotland", until the day he announced the Indyref. At that point he was either on your side, or agin ye.

Nicola made the same mistake. After Indyref1 she was meant to be a unifying figure, until now.

Chortle...
    Except that "Alex Salmond was popular across the polltical divide line" is bollocks. Alex Salmond has always been an intensely polarising figure. Before IndyRef 1 some of my most mild mannered friends would be driven into expletive filled rage by the mere mention of his name.
    Respected not popular across the divide is how I pictured it. Initially I think sturgeon was also popular as well as respected across the divide, but she really seems to rub some people up the wrong way now. And no, that's not just because of how well she has done, though no doubt it's part of it.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,046
    Mr. Doethur, there were three (including George) often used before Edward III solidified Saint George's place.

I think the others were Cuthbert and possibly Edward/Edmund.

Mr. Timmo, cheers for that suggestion. I picked the wrong time to leave the site last night...

What about Angus?

Mr. D, that's Grand Moff Tarkin.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Chortle...

Heart of stone, etc.

I'm a PB Tory. It's what we do best :smiley:
    The boy who cried wolf should be updated for the modern age as the pb Tory who called a Scottish surge,
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Alistair said:

timmo said:

Yesterday got on Aberdeen South for the Tories at 12/1 this morning 7/2. Still value based on last years results

Checkout the border seat's prices. Insane value.

Pre surge i was going to back Con in BRS at 1/8 or better. It's 1/3!
    Copeland 1/5. Derby North 2/9. These (and no doubt others) are buying money.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Scott_P said:
    Progressive alliance, offering voters freedom of choice, so long as you vote for who we tell you to.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    The problem is, my wife doesn't believe anything I say based on polls, since I thought Remain and Clinton would win
  • Options
    philiph said:

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/sophierunning/status/856027942517968896

Progressive alliance, offering voters freedom of choice, so long as you vote for who we tell you to.
    I prefer calling them the Progressive Minority. :smiley:
  • Options
    Just backed some bets and decided to check French odds.

Is there a reason (Betfair Exchange) Macron's odds to lead round one have lengthened to nearly 3?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I didn't realise until reading this article that "dominatrices" was the plural of "dominatrix". I'd been using "dominatrixes". I feel kind of stupid now.

To be fair it isn't a word you need to use in the plural very often.

What a quiet life you lead.
    TMI, Alistair, TMI...
    Blame, I was the one who wrote about hiring 400 dominatrixes in one night, concurrently.
    Information overload, Mr Eagles.

(And shouldn't it be 'dominatrices?')
    Blinking auto correct
    Off topic - saw an open top Mercedes with number plate TSE 1 last Monday. Just wondering.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

tlg86 said:

This bank holiday policy is completely bonkers. Why the f*** do we want another three holidays in March/April and bloody day off at the end of November?

I would scrap the May 1st bank holiday and move it to the first Monday of July.

I agree that even if people want another four days off, they don't want some of them clustered around Easter (and in fact with two that will probably (*) coincide with Easter in some years).

Also, how do bank holidays effect GDP? If we have roughly 250 working days a year, won't four extra days off be worth between one and two percent of GDP?

Warning: there's almost certainly some poor maths in the above ...

(*) Citation required.
    Five day Easter in 2019...

• Options
    philiph said:

Scott_P said:
    You must have missed the story about UKIP not standing against Brexiters then...
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    philiph said:

Scott_P said:
    Oh yes, splits the "right-on" vote, never a bad thing ;) Do they really think one of the "serious" parties are going to step aside for the Lost Deposit Party ?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Ah, splitters. Used to be a problem for the Tories. :p
    When the main opposition are so troubled, all manner of minor pressure groups think they can bully them. Pretty ballsy, if I may use the phrase, for the minnows of the women's equality party to think others should step down in support of the, rather than the other way around.
  • Options
    Mr. Indigo, if you only knew the power of the dark side...
  • Options
    Freggles said:

philiph said:

Scott_P said:

You must have missed the story about UKIP not standing against Brexiters then...
    Are they actually going to do that?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I didn't realise until reading this article that "dominatrices" was the plural of "dominatrix". I'd been using "dominatrixes". I feel kind of stupid now.

TMI, Alistair, TMI...
    Blame, I was the one who wrote about hiring 400 dominatrixes in one night, concurrently.

Blinking auto correct
    Off topic - saw an open top Mercedes with number plate TSE 1 last Monday. Just wondering.
    I do have a private number plate, but not that one.

I do find private number plates a bit gauche but my parents bought it for me years ago.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TMI, Alistair, TMI...

Blinking auto correct

I do find private number plates a bit gauche but my parents bought it for me years ago.
    It's "AV 1" isn't it? :smiley:
  • Options

Just backed some bets and decided to check French odds.

Is there a reason (Betfair Exchange) Macron's odds to lead round one have lengthened to nearly 3?

They've been big throughout, but there was a purdah-period poll (i.e. not published in France) with MLP up about 3 & near 25, iirc.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TMI, Alistair, TMI...

Blinking auto correct

I think you mean AV 123
  • Options
    Freggles said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TMI, Alistair, TMI...

Blinking auto correct

I think you mean AV 123
    AV 12, surely? :D
  • Options
    Freggles said:

philiph said:

Scott_P said:
    Yeah, but that doesn't have a patronising name like progressive alliance yet, a term I hate with a passion as adherents assume anyone who doesn't or wasn't vote Tory only cares about stopping Tories rather than voting for who they like best, suggesting if you don't hate Tories you might as well vote for them.

I suppose patriotic alliance would be a suitably silly and patronising name for the kipper approach, since Aaron banks hasn't launched it yet.
  • Options
    Mr. Price, I'll be irked if she tops round 1.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Lepers don't get sympathy shags.

That's something you never ever want to google.
    Are you speaking from experience?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Freggles said:

philiph said:

Scott_P said:

Are they actually going to do that?
    https://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/795297/general-election-2017-ukip-brexit-paul-nuttall/amp

The Repulsive Alliance
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,571
    Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Chortle...
    I must have missed that bit too. Where he was much more successful was in crushing the weakened rural Scotland Conservative party and in keeping his tent broader. Nicola has focussed on replacing SLAB. She has been very successful at it and they will take Glasgow in May but the Salmond coalition is now fraying.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TMI, Alistair, TMI...

Blinking auto correct

CAE 5 AR ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Freggles said:

philiph said:

Scott_P said:
    Yeah, but that doesn't have a patronising name like progressive alliance yet, a term I hate with a passion as adherents assume anyone who doesn't or wasn't vote Tory only cares about stopping Tories rather than voting for who they like best, suggesting if you don't hate Tories you might as well vote for them.

I suppose patriotic alliance would be a suitably silly and patronising name for the kipper approach, since Aaron banks hasn't launched it yet.
    The anti evil-baby-eating-tory-bastards party name was deemed to be too long by the electoral commission.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,108

Sandpit said:

Happy St George's Day to you too!
  • Options
    Charles said:

That's something you never ever want to google.
    Are you speaking from experience?
    TSE is full of tips.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    DavidL said:

Nicola has focussed on replacing SLAB. She has been very successful at it and they will take Glasgow in May but the Salmond coalition is now fraying.

Maybe.

Or they might need Tory coalition support :smiley:
  • Options
    Actually, milk maids had a form of leprosy, smooth-skin, I think it's called, which left no scars and made them appear more attractive.

[I think it was a form of leprosy. Off-chance it might've been pox].
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

One has to admire @TSE 's talent for conjuring a thread, with ten reasons, best summarized as :

Jezza's Election Chances A Crap Jim But Not As We Know It

It's Worse Than That, They're Dead, Jim.....
    Jezza - "Beam me up Sooty ... "

Sooty - "Yes Mr Corbyn .... don't mind it from you but why has the electorate got it's hand up my bottom ?!?"

Jezza - "We're be stuffed !!"
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Actually, milk maids had a form of leprosy, smooth-skin, I think it's called, which left no scars and made them appear more attractive.

Cowpox.
  • Options

A friend of mine has Leprosy (picked up while running a programme in Africa) and doesn't seem to do too badly.

Jezza also seems to do quite well with the ladies!
    TBF leprosy's bad rep is from half remembered history

It can be controlled with a healthy dose of thalidomide.

*that's* why sympathy shags with a leper should be avoided
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Sandpit said:

Lived under Diocletian, so if he was a Muslim he was being a bit previous about it.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

TSE is full of tips.

I think the auto-correct got you there .... :smile:
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Cowpox.
    The word “vaccination,” coined by Jenner in 1796,[2] is derived from the Latin root vaccinus, meaning of or from the cow.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowpox
  • Options
    We know the 'msm' ignoring great news for labour is a problem (Corbyn has said so, so it must be true) so the boss will like this story about media being fined for ignoring a story. Correa in Ecuador does seem a sort of budget Hugo Chavez, though he is actually going apparently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-39682264
  • Options
    Mr. Z, cheers for that correction.

Far, far worse to meet someone with Black Death than leprosy.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Nicola has focussed on replacing SLAB. She has been very successful at it and they will take Glasgow in May but the Salmond coalition is now fraying.

Maybe.

Or they might need Tory coalition support :smiley:
    Can we have a picture of Nicola in a Tory's pocket?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TMI, Alistair, TMI...

Blinking auto correct

CAE 5 AR ?
    Private number plates are great - voluntary taxation!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

It used to be St Dunstan.

Financial genius who restructured the monestaries to make them a profit centre and is now the patron saint of investment bankers.

Would that be better?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    May needs to be careful.

If there is one rule in British politics. It is the higher you fly the harder you fall.

Like Clegg, Blair and Icarus before her, she should enjoy her time in the sun. But not too much.

Governing could be brutal
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,971
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Chortle...
    From what I hear one of the big problems for the SNP at Westminster is their sheer laziness. I have it on good authority they do f**k all except party. No constituenct surgeries and most them don't even bother to visit their constituencies. Sounds OK to me but you know what these Presbyterian Scots are like
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Or syphilis, for that matter.

I was reading about No Nose clubs that were popular in 18th and 19th century England, for people whose noses had dropped off, due to syphilis.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, nah, she'll be fine. The Conservatives *never* commit regicide.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,760
    edited April 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

Lived under Diocletian, so if he was a Muslim he was being a bit previous about it.
    You have to think like an EDL member. Turks = Muslims.

The average EDL members' knowledge about St George appalling,

I once saw an EDLer say all this immigration to England was an insult to the heirs to St George.
  • Options
    If Tories copy the bank holiday plan, and frankly I'm surprised it's not already a Tory plan, for god's sake chandelier the ones we have, they are too clustered.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

I was under the impression that Y.Pestis was relatively straightfoward to treat with modern medicine, certainly dramatically more so than Leprosy ?
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Mr. Jonathan, nah, she'll be fine. The Conservatives *never* commit regicide.

Never? She'll be gone by Xmas.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Chortle...
    From what I hear one of the big problems for the SNP at Westminster is their sheer laziness. I have it on good authority they do f**k all except party. No constituenct surgeries and most them don't even bother to visit their constituencies. Sounds OK to me but you know what these Presbyterian Scots are like
    Isn't that what slab used to do?

(In all fairness it could be true or false for both as far as I would know)
  • Options
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Financial genius who restructured the monestaries to make them a profit centre and is now the patron saint of investment bankers.

Would that be better?
    Yes
  • Options
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Would that be better?
    I think the Labour Party should consider adopting St Jude as their patron ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TMI, Alistair, TMI...

Blinking auto correct

Surely AV 123?
  • Options
    Roger said:

From what I hear one of the big problems for the SNP at Westminster is their sheer laziness.

Not just lazy, generally crap.

TBF many of them were paper candidates who did not expect to win, but this time they know what's happening and they are standing again
  • Options
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Would that be better?
    He got made a saint because he was good at making money?
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TMI, Alistair, TMI...

Blinking auto correct

Surely AV 123?
    Very nice. I have it on good authority that it's GO4PM

• Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

I once saw an EDLer say all this immigration to England was an insult to heirs to St George.
    Racists would be hilarious if there weren't serious consequences to their idiocy sometimes.
  • Options
    Mr. F, recall reading of a chap in Elizabethan times who had a tin nose for that reason.

But when syphilis first arrived a few centuries before that, it was a different sort of disease (more like a fever) and evolved into modern syphilis.

It's also the source of the Shakespearean: Impiety has made a feast of thee [you've fornicated with prostitutes so much you've caught syphilis, which has dramatically reduced your weight].

Mr. Indigo, not sure, I was thinking from a 14th century perspective :p
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,601
    Rawnsley: A member of the cabinet tells me that one of his party’s anxieties is suppressed turn-out among their supporters, some of whom might not bother to vote “because she is going win anyway". This points to one of the ironies of this election. The Conservatives will connive with Mr Corbyn to maintain a fiction that there is a serious possibility that they could lose and the Labour leader could win Number 10.
  • Options
    Wasn't George born in Greece?
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Chortle...
    Some of them turned up expecting to dominate the place, but they turned out to be small fish in a big pond. It was the way it was always going to be, but their ego's ran riot in the SNP echo chamber and then went down full of piss and vinegar.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TMI, Alistair, TMI...

Blinking auto correct

Surely AV 123?

You fool, its ZAMA202
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022
    edited April 2017

Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

I once saw an EDLer say all this immigration to England was an insult to the heirs to St George.
    Was it EDL or UKIP who thought Westminster Cathedral was a mosque?
  • Options

Anatolia. Before the Turks arrived I suppose.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

You fool, its ZAMA202

Surely it's TSE 0 FPB
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

Was it EDL or UKIP who thought Westminster Cathedral was a mosque?
    Kippers

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/27/-sp-ukip-mistakes-westminster-cathedral-for-mosque
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    tlg86 said:

This bank holiday policy is completely bonkers. Why the f*** do we want another three holidays in March/April and bloody day off at the end of November?

The sting in the tail with these four holidays will be that Jez will abolish Christmas and Easter as they aren't diverse enough. :-)

• Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TMI, Alistair, TMI...

Blinking auto correct

Surely AV 123?

You fool, its ZAMA202
    There was a police officer who attracted some criticism for having N5DAP as his number plate.
  • Options
    You're all giving me great ideas for new private number plates.

My current one is just part of my name.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,283

They're two theories: one that he was born in Lydia in what is now Israel, another that he was born in Cappdocia in Turkey. His father was from Cappdocia, his mother from Greece.

AIUI, might be wrong...
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, then he's not Turkish. A man can't be Turkish if he's born prior to the existence of Turkey....

It's that flawed reasoning which leads people to claim Alexander was Greek, because part of Macedon (ancient) is in modern day Greece.

I, being silly, sometimes claim Constantine the Great was a Yorkshireman. It has the same level of accuracy.
  • Options

I was under the impression that Y.Pestis was relatively straightfoward to treat with modern medicine, certainly dramatically more so than Leprosy ?
    Ciprofloxacin nails it pretty well
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, pretty sure Lydia was the west of Asia Minor, unless there's a second region of the same name. Cappadocia, upon checking, is indeed the middle of Asia Minor.

Upon checking, again, he was born in the 3rd century AD. No Turks. Cannot be reasonably described as such. Might as well call Boudicca an Englishwoman.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Freggles said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TMI, Alistair, TMI...

Blinking auto correct

I think you mean AV 123
    Back to AV school with you. 12 would imply ambiguity with the Supplementary Vote whereas AV allows as many preferences as candidates!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Would that be better?
    He was simultaneously Chancellor of England and Archbishop of Canterbury. In his spare time he wrote the Coronation Order that we still use today (albeit slightly updated for linguistic changes)

Edit: in drawings of him he's often depicted as using a long spoon to sup with the Devil
  • Options
    Freggles said:

RobD said:

Freggles said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TMI, Alistair, TMI...

Blinking auto correct

I think you mean AV 123
    Back to AV school with you. 12 would imply ambiguity with the Supplementary Vote whereas AV allows as many preferences as candidates!
    Hm.. if only someone knowledgable on the subject could write a refresher thread for those of us who have forgotten the ins and outs of AV.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Mr. F, recall reading of a chap in Elizabethan times who had a tin nose for that reason.

But when syphilis first arrived a few centuries before that, it was a different sort of disease (more like a fever) and evolved into modern syphilis.

It's also the source of the Shakespearean: Impiety has made a feast of thee [you've fornicated with prostitutes so much you've caught syphilis, which has dramatically reduced your weight].

The astronomer Tycho Brahe had a metal nose. But that was needed after a duelling injury.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    4m voted UKIP 2 years ago, these people like voting. They won't vote for a party that is pro immigration and pro EU which rules out Labour and LDs, I'll be amazed if UKIP manage 100 candidates, the vast majority of which effectively will be paper candidates.

Allowing for abstentions I'd suggest a bare minimum of 2.5m will vote Conservative.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Not if you're Tony DiNozzo from NCIS :grin:
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,493
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Would that be better?
    He was simultaneously Chancellor of England and Archbishop of Canterbury. In his spare time he wrote the Coronation Order that we still use today (albeit slightly updated for linguistic changes)

Edit: in drawings of him he's often depicted as using a long spoon to sup with the Devil
    The George Osborne of his day then...,
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Would that be better?

And still time for George to find god and become archbishop. Welsby came to the cloth late, as I recall.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

The astronomer Tycho Brahe had a metal nose. But that was needed after a duelling injury.
    Justinian II had one made of gold, after his enemies chopped it off.

Lord Hervey, an Irish peer, and Marquess of Bristol, once entered a tavern, and one of his enemies began sniffing loudly, saying "I smell an Irishman.". Hervey's reply? "By God Sir, you will never smell another" and sliced off the Man's nose with a dagger.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Would that be better?

Rather more successful!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited April 2017
    Alistair said:

The defining feature of 2015 Scottish Westminster and 2016 Holyrood elections has been differential turnout.

Both saw big increases in turnout on the previous equivalent election in favour of SNP i. 2015 and the SCons in 2016.

I have no clue what turnout will look like this time.

Hopefully, we'll have the tables on both polls soon to see the breakdown of the Tory/SNP vote split.

The last Panelbase had the SNP 19 ahead overall but if that gap is down to 11 their clear lead is likely to be restricted to C2DE and under 35 voters.

The Tories were ahead in the last poll with females aged 55+ on the last poll.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Egad! Ditch the pointless Spring Bank Holiday! Never mind all this new fangled socialist userpery, where would we be without crowning the May Queen, Maypole dancing, Obby-Oss, Jack-in-the-green, Morris Dancing, young maidens abluting at Arthur's Seat, and torch light processions ?

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

4m voted UKIP 2 years ago, these people like voting. They won't vote for a party that is pro immigration and pro EU which rules out Labour and LDs, I'll be amazed if UKIP manage 100 candidates, the vast majority of which effectively will be paper candidates.

Allowing for abstentions I'd suggest a bare minimum of 2.5m will vote Conservative.

I hope you're right - but I believe someone on this site once said that the 2015 Labour vote would = 2010 Labour plus (2010 Lib Dem/2) - I'm not sure that worked out so well for him.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    edited April 2017
    I see it is 4 new bank holidays for everybody not the more sensible one new one based on country. The man is truly bonkers. Do you think he realises how many there will be around this time of year? Probably not as he has never had a proper job.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Tycho also had a pet dwarf and died from a burst bladder. By all accounts he was a bit of a character. He was, however, a brilliant observational astronomer.
This discussion has been closed.