Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,620
    Quincel said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Totally off topic, but does anyone know the best route to challenge a private parking charge (other than an appeal to the private company, which I am sure are rejected as a matter of course)? Got slapped with an £80 fine for staying 2 minutes over for a hospital appointment.

I am also going through a parking charge nightmare. I got a letter from Camden council, along with photos, asking me for £65 for parking at a bust stop on Gray's Inn Road at 12.45 am on 5th March, when me and my car were 100 miles away in Leamington Spa. I have reported what is a clear case of number plate cloning to the police, but Camden are still asking for the money. On a point of principle I won't pay, but it looks like it is going to cost me a fortune to get the fine rescinded.

It shouldn't cost you. A good proportion of appeals are successful, and provided you can establish that you (and more importantly the car) weren't there, you stand every chance of having it waived at no cost to you.
    Note that if Camden doesn't allow the appeal the next step is the Traffic Penalty Tribunal for public land, not POPLA as below for private land. Agree that your case sounds solid though, hopefully the Council will see sense.
    It is probably worth an email to the relevant cabinet member there, who I suspect is phil.jones@camden.gov.uk. A nice friendly letter explaining the story with just a passing mention that you hope he can help you without having to trouble the Camden Journal with the story. He won't be able to do anything about the decision himself, but the email will work its way through the system and you'll get a quicker resolution.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    IanB2 said:

marke09 said:

rcs1000 said:

The LDs will end the election with fewer than 10 seats and Westmorland and Lonsdale will not be one of them - ask their own councillors up here.

Well, we've got the county council election there in 12 days, so we'll get an idea about how the LDs are holding up there.

I struggle to see how the LDs don't gain Edinburgh West, Fife NE and Cambridge. That means they need to lose three to stay under 10.

Bets against Southport, Norwich South, Westmoreland and Lonsdale, and Ceredgion you reckon?
    I do slightly struggle to see Norfolk North (which I assume you meant) going. It should go on demographics, but it's hard to overstate incumbency in the particular seat - Lamb is simply very popular in a way 98% of MPs aren't.

Southport has been strong in local elections and Pugh is certainly not unpopular, but nor does he have rock star appeal.

Ceredigion I have no insight on - I know one poster has been ramping heavily but I don't know if that's realistic or an axe to grind.

Westmoreland is silly.

I think 16-20 is my central case. There is value selling but not down to single figures again.
    Ceredigion. Ramping .... Axe to grind .... me.

All I have pointed out is that we know that Mark Williams’ election agent is one of the ‘Dirty Thirty’.

The LDs in Ceredigion were fined the maximum after very serious breaches of election expenses law.

And that was in response to a LD poster who listed nearly 50 Tory MPs that might be the ‘Dirty Thirty’.

My opinion is personalities matter in these West Wales seats. Ceredigion is hard to predict until we know who the PC candidate is. PC could easily take it.

It is not safe, and I think Mark Williams will have gone backwards since last time because of his travails, which were widely reported in the Cambrian News, if not the LibDem Voice.
    also wont be able to count on student vote as many will have gone home from Aber and Lampeter by June 8th
    Students will still be in Uni on June 8
    Aberystwyth students vacate their halls of residence by Saturday 3rd June
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited April 2017
    marke09 said:

IanB2 said:

marke09 said:

rcs1000 said:

The LDs will end the election with fewer than 10 seats and Westmorland and Lonsdale will not be one of them - ask their own councillors up here.

Well, we've got the county council election there in 12 days, so we'll get an idea about how the LDs are holding up there.

I struggle to see how the LDs don't gain Edinburgh West, Fife NE and Cambridge. That means they need to lose three to stay under 10.

Bets against Southport, Norwich South, Westmoreland and Lonsdale, and Ceredgion you reckon?
    I do slightly struggle to see Norfolk North (which I assume you meant) going. It should go on demographics, but it's hard to overstate incumbency in the particular seat - Lamb is simply very popular in a way 98% of MPs aren't.

Southport has been strong in local elections and Pugh is certainly not unpopular, but nor does he have rock star appeal.

Ceredigion I have no insight on - I know one poster has been ramping heavily but I don't know if that's realistic or an axe to grind.

Westmoreland is silly.

I think 16-20 is my central case. There is value selling but not down to single figures again.

All I have pointed out is that we know that Mark Williams’ election agent is one of the ‘Dirty Thirty’.

The LDs in Ceredigion were fined the maximum after very serious breaches of election expenses law.

And that was in response to a LD poster who listed nearly 50 Tory MPs that might be the ‘Dirty Thirty’.

My opinion is personalities matter in these West Wales seats. Ceredigion is hard to predict until we know who the PC candidate is. PC could easily take it.

It is not safe, and I think Mark Williams will have gone backwards since last time because of his travails, which were widely reported in the Cambrian News, if not the LibDem Voice.
    also wont be able to count on student vote as many will have gone home from Aber and Lampeter by June 8th
    PB's depth of local knowledge is ever-admirable... Is somebody going to have to compile a "exam and halls of residence deadlines per marginal-seat university" list??
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,176
    marke09 said:

IanB2 said:

marke09 said:

rcs1000 said:

Westmoreland is silly.

Memories of Aber halls of residence. 20 years ago I was just completing my first year of drinking studying there!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

'Tories play down tax rise hint' headlines - they are frit at the first sign of media upset again, no balls.

Internal dissent. Lots of grumbling this morning from people I've campaigned with in the past, I imagine the grumbling among Tory MPs in marginals vs Lib Dems is even worse.
    Why - foreign aid endorsement will help in those marginals
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,439
    edited April 2017

rcs1000 said:

I've finally managed to locate a Scotch Kipper that even the SCons recoiled from adopting as a council candidate. So far.

https://twitter.com/AngrySalmond/status/855713565986127872

I love the bit about the guillotine at the end!
    A dangerously continental idea I'd have thought. What's wrong with stout, British hemp?
    The Scottish Maiden and Halifax Gibbet predated Dr Guillotin*, but it's probably best not to become too familiar with them!

* Who actually opposed capital punishment and didn't invent the machine anyway - it was designed by Antoine Louis and originally called a louisette - but became associated with it due to a popular joke he made during a speech in favour of a more humane method of execution, which he saw as a stepping stone to the abolition of the punishment altogether. I wasn't aware of this til I checked Wikipedia five minutes ago...
    I'd forgotten about the Maiden, gazed at with fascination on many a rainy afternoon in my childhood. Of course in the current climate Scottish inventions may also be seen as dangerously foreign.

I recall that the Maiden could be flat packed and transported to different cities to fulfill its purpose. An early Scandinavian influence perhaps?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    edited April 2017
    IanB2 said:

marke09 said:

rcs1000 said:

Westmoreland is silly.

The timing is rather advantagous for the tories. Limited time to get students organized and registered, between now and June is exams and then actual GE when many just started hols or just about ie lots of things other than GE on their minds.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

ToryJim said:

kle4 said:

'Tories play down tax rise hint' headlines - they are frit at the first sign of media upset again, no balls.

All that has been hinted is that they might not repeat the tax lock. That doesn't mean they are about to start jacking up taxes left right and centre.

In the same way somebody removing a chastity belt doesn't suddenly become a whore.
    The Tories will increase VAT. They always do.

Regressive taxation - their favourite.
    Yeah, but some did the last Labour government.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited April 2017
    marke09,

Good spot. Aber term ends on 03/06/2107.

Then, I expect the LibDems to be in some trouble & Ceredigion will be close.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Totally off topic, but does anyone know the best route to challenge a private parking charge (other than an appeal to the private company, which I am sure are rejected as a matter of course)? Got slapped with an £80 fine for staying 2 minutes over for a hospital appointment.

Was the ticket given to you whilst you were parked?

Or was it as you were leaving and done my ANPR cameras ?

If it is the latter you are allowed a ten minute grace period after expiry of the ticket.

If it is the former then blame the hospital and also ask about any grace period they offer.

2 mins is harsh, especially in hospital circumstances.

Was it Parking Eye who run the show ?
    Ticket given by letter. It was parking eye, appears to have been done on the basis of camera shots of entering and leaving, but having now checking online it seems they are saying I did not pay for any duration at all (this is not mentioned in the letter). I would dispute that, but unfortunately no longer have my ticket.
    To establish that they would have to have a photo of your car parked without a ticket, assuming it was pay-and-display rather than on exit.
    It's a park where there are barriers, but they are not operational (and haven't for years), so it is pay and display, but the shot is of entering and exiting via the barriers. The pay and display requires you to input you licence plate, so I'm surprised they say (online) that I paid nothing.

Sounds like I should appeal to the company on the basis that I did pay for 2 hours, and have a grace period of 10 minutes.

Thanks all.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

If it is the latter you are allowed a ten minute grace period after expiry of the ticket.

If it is the former then blame the hospital and also ask about any grace period they offer.

Ticket given by letter. It was parking eye, appears to have been done on the basis of camera shots of entering and leaving, but having now checking online it seems they are saying I did not pay for any duration at all (this is not mentioned in the letter). I would dispute that, but unfortunately no longer have my ticket.
    To establish that they would have to have a photo of your car parked without a ticket, assuming it was pay-and-display rather than on exit.
    It's a park where there are barriers, but they are not operational (and haven't for years), so it is pay and display, but the shot is of entering and exiting via the barriers. The pay and display requires you to input you licence plate, so I'm surprised they say (online) that I paid nothing.

Sounds like I should appeal to the company on the basis that I did pay for 2 hours, and have a grace period of 10 minutes.

Thanks all.
    Yes, just say that you purchased a ticket to park and displayed it clearly in your windscreen, and ask them to send you any evidence they have to the contrary. They can't do you for two minutes at the barriers, anyway, you could easily have been driving round the car park, picking up a passenger, stopping briefly to listen to something on the radio or check a map, and have left the parking space two minutes before you reached the exit .
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,053
    Best of luck to Mr. Observer and Mr. kle4.

• Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I've got a few urgent errands to do this morning/afternoon, but I'll send you a vanilla message this evening, on how to deal with this.

Parking Eye are well known charlatans.
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

If it's Parking Eye then definately, if your appeal to them fails, write to the Trust (or their landlord if PFI or PPP). The contracts (and more importantly the relationship) will be such that I'd expect your fine to be waived (assuming you're not demonstrably bang to rights for spending 4 hours elsewhere doing your shopping).

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Internal dissent. Lots of grumbling this morning from people I've campaigned with in the past, I imagine the grumbling among Tory MPs in marginals vs Lib Dems is even worse.
    Because we aren't the party of tax rises and big government. It's what I was saying last night.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,324
    Sandpit said:

marke09 said:

IanB2 said:

marke09 said:

rcs1000 said:

Westmoreland is silly.

Memories of Aber halls of residence. 20 years ago I was just completing my first year of drinking studying there!
    My sister (OGH's daughter) went to Aber. Probably just after you: '98-'02, I think.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

marke09,

Good spot. Aber term ends on 03/06/2107.

Then, I expect the LibDems to be in some trouble & Ceredigion will be close.

It may depend on how organised the student LDs are at signing people up for postal votes.

My (anecdotal) evidence is that young people seem more motivated to vote this time than is usual. Whether that will actually lead to a good turnout we'll have to see.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

marke09 said:

IanB2 said:

marke09 said:

rcs1000 said:

Westmoreland is silly.

My sister (OGH's daughter) went to Aber. Probably just after you: '98-'02, I think.
    I think you might have mentioned that before. I was there '96-'99 reading Economics (badly!), so we would have been there for a year at the same time. I definitely didn't have any girlfriends called Smithson that year though!! ;)
  • Options
    The big unknown in this campaign is what happens if/when we get Polls showing The Libdems ahead of Labour ? Lots of Labour voters are really Anti-Tory Voters, if Labour no longer seem to be the largest Non-Tory Party will they switch ?
    Equally, lots of Tory Voters are really Anti-Labour. If Labour is no longer a threat will those voters feel they dont need to stick with the Tories anymore ?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

marke09 said:

IanB2 said:

marke09 said:

rcs1000 said:

Westmoreland is silly.

My cousin was there at the same time!
  • Options
    ToryJim said:
    Never fails to deliver does mrs bucket.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Because we aren't the party of tax rises and big government. It's what I was saying last night.
    Foreign aid is not big government. It is the right thing to do but it does need focus. It is simply wrong at this time to suggest we spend it in the UK.

Just noticed a trade expert has said that we should just leave the EU and join NAFTA
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,995
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

I am also going through a parking charge nightmare. I got a letter from Camden council, along with photos, asking me for £65 for parking at a bust stop on Gray's Inn Road at 12.45 am on 5th March, when me and my car were 100 miles away in Leamington Spa. I have reported what is a clear case of number plate cloning to the police, but Camden are still asking for the money. On a point of principle I won't pay, but it looks like it is going to cost me a fortune to get the fine rescinded.

Take a photo of your car from the same angle as the one they caught, and look very carefully for any differences that indicate it was a different car. Met Police and TFL are usually very interested in plate cloning, as it will cost them congestion charge revenue and is usually associated with other crimes. On the other hand, if it's not dealt with quickly there could be dozens of fines racking up that they'll try and pin on you in the future.

Asking the DVLA for a new plate may be sensible.

Cheers.

I wrote to the DVLA as you are not able to report it over the phone for some reason and you cannot email them. They have not yet responded.

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,494
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

We are also not the party of cut it to the bone, burn the government to the ground and don't replace it ideologues either.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Take a photo of your car from the same angle as the one they caught, and look very carefully for any differences that indicate it was a different car. Met Police and TFL are usually very interested in plate cloning, as it will cost them congestion charge revenue and is usually associated with other crimes. On the other hand, if it's not dealt with quickly there could be dozens of fines racking up that they'll try and pin on you in the future.

Asking the DVLA for a new plate may be sensible.

Cheers.

I wrote to the DVLA as you are not able to report it over the phone for some reason and you cannot email them. They have not yet responded.

I can understand no phone, but no email in this day and age!
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902

marke09 said:

IanB2 said:

marke09 said:

rcs1000 said:

Westmoreland is silly.

PB's depth of local knowledge is ever-admirable... Is somebody going to have to compile a "exam and halls of residence deadlines per marginal-seat university" list??
    For what it's worth Bath Uni finishes on the second of June, while Bath Spa seems to not finish until the 22nd of June.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:
    LOL, brilliant. Another Labour gift that keeps on giving.

Is there a WI or similar organisation in her patch, that can send her an invite to a St George's day party?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,995
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

It shouldn't cost you. A good proportion of appeals are successful, and provided you can establish that you (and more importantly the car) weren't there, you stand every chance of having it waived at no cost to you.

Cheers.

I know I wasn't there - I was in bed with severe jet lag having got back that morning from a business trip to Singapore. The next day the car was exactly where I left it when I parked up on arrival from Heathrow.

The problem is that the make and colour of my car is the same as the one caught on the camera, so if Camden want to play silly buggers it really will be a case of me having to get witness statements and so on. What worries me is that the only way this gets sorted is by having to go to court, at which stage I start to accumulate significant expense. If Camden then drops the case before it is heard, I will not be able to get my costs back.

Obviously, we are a long way from that - but when it comes to petty officialdom, I always assume it will take the stupidest, most vindictive path!

• Options
    edited April 2017
    New thread

Cambridge and Oxford uni students will still be 'up' on June 8
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

marke09 said:

IanB2 said:

marke09 said:

rcs1000 said:

Westmoreland is silly.

For what it's worth Bath Uni finishes on the second of June, while Bath Spa seems to not finish until the 22nd of June.
    Is that cos they are a bit slow in the head at bath spa?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

rcs1000 said:

I've finally managed to locate a Scotch Kipper that even the SCons recoiled from adopting as a council candidate. So far.

A dangerously continental idea I'd have thought. What's wrong with stout, British hemp?
    The Scottish Maiden and Halifax Gibbet predated Dr Guillotin*, but it's probably best not to become too familiar with them!

* Who actually opposed capital punishment and didn't invent the machine anyway - it was designed by Antoine Louis and originally called a louisette - but became associated with it due to a popular joke he made during a speech in favour of a more humane method of execution, which he saw as a stepping stone to the abolition of the punishment altogether. I wasn't aware of this til I checked Wikipedia five minutes ago...
    I'd forgotten about the Maiden, gazed at with fascination on many a rainy afternoon in my childhood. Of course in the current climate Scottish inventions may also be seen as dangerously foreign.

I recall that the Maiden could be flat packed and transported to different cities to fulfill its purpose. An early Scandinavian influence perhaps?
    I Kill Er perhaps?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/855733245526278144

Reminder: the bulk of Labour seats north of the Severn-Wash line voted Leave. Virtually all of them to the south of it voted Remain.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I've got a few urgent errands to do this morning/afternoon, but I'll send you a vanilla message this evening, on how to deal with this.

Parking Eye are well known charlatans.
    Much obliged
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,494
    https://twitter.com/alwynturner/status/855729757685788674

Emily clearly doesn't realise that food is VAT exempt. Totally out of touch.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Foreign aid is not big government. It is the right thing to do but it does need focus. It is simply wrong at this time to suggest we spend it in the UK.

Just noticed a trade expert has said that we should just leave the EU and join NAFTA
    Foreign Aid, is the very definition of big government. You may believe that given 'Aid' to pore nations helps them and is there for right thing to do. I disagree, that is just my opinion.

But I have no intention of stopping you spend 0.7% or whatever you feel appropriate to give to the for mention pore nation. Nor am I attempting to limit your free speech, if you wish to use it to persuade others to give equivalent money.

However you are advocating for the government to 'use force and threats of force' I.e. the tax system to take my money and spend it in a way that I think does harm to the people you clam it helps.

If nationalising charity giving is not Big Government, then what is?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,047
    edited April 2017
    ToryJim said:

The party of Tony Benn, Roy Jenkins, Robin Cook and Donald Dewar now have Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbott, Thornberry and the like.

I cry everyday!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,900
    edited April 2017
    malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

Fishing said:

It's sensible: DfID does a heck of a lot of good, and it's a shame you don't see that.

It's idiotic and anti-Conservative. Foreign aid should be a matter of individual conscience, not state compulsion. There are any number of perfectly good charities in this area to give one's money to. I do not see why the state needs to get involved at all.

And that's aside from the question of how much of our aid budget is wasted, and whether the money could be better spent at home.

I was going to go out canvassing for the Conservatives today, but I don't think I'll bother, despite being in a tight Tory/Labour marginal.
    Because state aid is a strategic geo political tool. Build schools and provide teachers with a pro British view point and you raise a generation of children to think favourably to us rather than suicide bomb us.
    Realistically, I don't see how we could produce such an effect, even with spending at its current rate.
    Given UK is hated or derided across the world, we are wasting our money.
    Your usual level of hare-filled splenetic garbage:

http://softpower30.portland-communications.com/ranking/

Oh look Mummy - a Nat and facts! Look away son, look away......
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

If she doesn't realise it neither will a lot of people.
    ab195 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

If it's Parking Eye then definately, if your appeal to them fails, write to the Trust (or their landlord if PFI or PPP). The contracts (and more importantly the relationship) will be such that I'd expect your fine to be waived (assuming you're not demonstrably bang to rights for spending 4 hours elsewhere doing your shopping).

Cheers.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,266

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

Fishing said:

It's sensible: DfID does a heck of a lot of good, and it's a shame you don't see that.

It's idiotic and anti-Conservative. Foreign aid should be a matter of individual conscience, not state compulsion. There are any number of perfectly good charities in this area to give one's money to. I do not see why the state needs to get involved at all.

And that's aside from the question of how much of our aid budget is wasted, and whether the money could be better spent at home.

I was going to go out canvassing for the Conservatives today, but I don't think I'll bother, despite being in a tight Tory/Labour marginal.
    Because state aid is a strategic geo political tool. Build schools and provide teachers with a pro British view point and you raise a generation of children to think favourably to us rather than suicide bomb us.
    Realistically, I don't see how we could produce such an effect, even with spending at its current rate.
    Given UK is hated or derided across the world, we are wasting our money.
    Morning Malc - not sure where your hatred around the world comes from. Visit Canada, Australia, New Zealand, US, and many more the opposite is true. The EU may not like us but they are not the world. Anyway have a good weekend
    Cheers G , the UK emigrants may not but for sure the UK has few pals left anywhere, governments in last 20 years have seen to that. US just showed how special the relationship is , ie bog off we are talking to your EX pals the EU. Hope you have a great weekend.
  • Options

kle4 said:

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/brexit-rebuff-berlin-shows-europeans-030002379.html

The U.K. “is in a very weak bargaining position anyway,” Schmieding said. Victory for May’s Conservatives in the June 8 election “gives her a strong hand in selling to the domestic audience in the U.K. whatever she wants to sell, but it does not give her any advantage in selling in Poland or in Romania or in France or Germany,” he said. “Brexit will mostly be shaped by what the EU-27 is ready to offer, and Theresa May will just have to accept that.”

You really think that the uk has no choice but to accept whatever the eu say, dont you? They do have the stronger hand, but it's still a negotiation, even those with strong hands do not get to dictate everything.

They will dictate the main points, we will be able to argue over detail, It will essentially be take it or leave it. And that will be the choice. The same thing applies to any trade deals we may end up "negotiating". Our hand is exceptionally weak because the only weapons we have are ones that will hurt us more than they hurt the people across the table.

People on here , apart from a few, seem to find it hard to face that reality. They preefer to live in dreamland where UK is powerful and has a strong hand to play.
  • Options

A spokesman for the leader said: "Jeremy opposed the introduction of tuition fees and every increase. We will be setting out our policies in due course."

He previously announced plans to scrap tuition fees and restore student grants, a policy which would cost £10billion.

Mr Corbyn suggested that it could be funded by either increasing corporation tax by 2.5 per cent or a 7 per cent hike in national insurance for those earning more than £50,000 a year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/21/labour-ruled-tories-real-extremists-slogan-amid-fears-could/

Peoppe lost their shit over 1%, what will the reaction be if he goes for the 7% policy.

He is a total bellend, obviously living in la la land. I reckon he is a Tory plant.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,061
    edited April 2017
    murali_s said:

ToryJim said:

The party of Tony Benn, Roy Jenkins, Robin Cook and Donald Dewar now have Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbott, Thornberry and the like.

I cry everyday!
    To be fair almost any MP from more than 40 years ago would be a giant compared to most of the current crop. It is not just Labour who suffers from this malady. There are to be sure a few in each party who are worthy of their position but overall we are very poorly served by our current bunch of politicos irrespective of their affiliation or beliefs.

Edited on reflection to add another decade to the comparison. 30 years ago was too short.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

rcs1000 said:

That's a spoof surely?
    Not for Tories and UKIP in Scotland , at the top end but not unusual. Been a stack of them last couple of weeks, especially Tories who seem to accept anybody as a candidate.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,733
    SouthamObserver:

If you haven't already, I do consider PePiPoo a good place to ask:
    http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?s=d467973c5dcec041de9d29fccc3c5c32&showforum=23
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited April 2017
    imageArf.
This discussion has been closed.