Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tories take a 24% lead with YouGov. Can they poll 50% and abov

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,958

MTimT said:

A penny for Cameron's thoughts, this time last year he was bumming up with world leaders and planning his next 4 years as PM.

He should be an object lesson in hubris and politics

Probably feels like an abject lesson to Cammo and Osbo.
    Yep, plenty of us said that history will judge them harshly, Cameron will be remembered as a disastrous PM, quite rightly.
    No he won't. He did fine, he just lost big on the EU issue - and if that turns out fine, then his personal failure on that won't matter.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,551

Can those in the know check if the polling companies have done any twiddling their models in the past week or so / anything weird in the data tables.

I am just really struggling to work out what has happened over the past week to move 15% leads to 20%+ leads.

Could it be as simple as Corbyn is potentially 7 weeks from No. 10, rather than some unknown Labour bod in 2020?
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,451

Can those in the know check if the polling companies have done any twiddling their models in the past week or so / anything weird in the data tables.

I am just really struggling to work out what has happened over the past week to move 15% leads to 20%+ leads.

Well Corbyn did start announcing some policies
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    It does occur that the Conservatives may have had someone waiting in the wings to come across. Be a nice start to the campaign.

These are unusual times, however, and there is always a chance of someone going the other way or Labour going Lib Dem or....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

May has been on the telly.

Leavers absolubtely fucking love her. My colleague voted Lib Dem in 2010, switched to UKIP - voted leave and is now with the Tories.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,617

rBlack ock I am aware of that...I meant going forward now we seemed to have witnessed some unexplainable Tory surge in the polls. A more "normal" (by current standards) would have some in meltdown.

Almost winning typo of the year award there.
  • Options
    Seriously, she is hitting parts of the electorate Cameron could never touch.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,404
    MrsB said:

GIN1138 said:

ToryJim said:
    Tony Blair > Lib-Dem ? Would they want him though? ;)
    well I certainly wouldn't. There are limits to the tolerance of even a tolerant party.
    +100
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,987
    Y0kel said:

It does occur that the Conservatives may have had someone waiting in the wings to come across. Be a nice start to the campaign.

These are unusual times, however, and there is always a chance of someone going the other way or Labour going Lib Dem or....

Just as long as it ain't the TPD.
  • Options

Yes, inexplicable. Seems like UKIP dropping like a stone finally registering, but why now.

Odd question, but I wonder if Cameron will be doing any campaigning - people vary from May totally ignoring all he did, to 'she's not really altering that much from Cameron', so I wonder if they'll make use of him - he may not appear to working classes and women like May, but he has appeal in other areas.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    This is the sort of thing which just makes me nervous. It can't be this good; it's just not realistic. In 2015 I was nervous when I saw my excellent Conservative MP well ahead in the postal votes (by a ratio of more than 3:2 on some days) but he still only ended up with a majority of 165.

If there is a national swing of XYZ% from Labour to Conservative, it could easily vary between 2*XYZ% and 0% (or even minus-something%) in some constituencies, and Croydon Central (or London generally) could easily be at the low end of that range of swings.

I never wanted this unnecessary unwanted general election in the first place, but now that it's happening I suppose I will have to get on with it (instead of reading books, writing poetry, sipping tea, eating cake, and being generally bourgeois and lazy, which is what I thought 2017 was going to be like).
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    I don't think anyone thinks the Conservatives will go less than 40% so margin of error could see 45% or 46% be 42 or 43. much more viable.

Again, however, have the pollsters adjusted after missing the tide in 2015?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Floater said:

kle4 said:

MTimT said:

kle4 said:

OK, this is getting silly now. I don't mean to sound to a Corbynista, but how can such numbers be possible?

I think with numbers like these in the polls, I'd be looking at the polls' in-house corrections. Whatever needed to be applied in 2015 probably should not be applied with the Cons this far out in front. So if they are correcting for shy/difficult to get hold of Tories, let's strip that out straight away to get to a more realistic figure for the current situation.
    Yes, why would there be any shy Tories now? Shy Labour is more likely!
    Well nobody is admitting they want to vote for corbyn on here...
    A bloke my wife went to school with lives in Morden, keen to vote Labour

However was speaking to a relative of my wife at a funeral today who is a Labour Councillor.

Lets just say he is not overly positive.

I spoke to a life long labour voting friend yesterday...Cliff notes of The conversation, fuck fuck fuck fuck fuckity fuck, labour are fucked...And I am not voting for that fucking corbyn...

Shall I put you down as a maybe?
  • Options
    glw said:

Could it be as simple as Corbyn is potentially 7 weeks from No. 10, rather than some unknown Labour bod in 2020?
    Except the other 20% leads arrived before the announcement.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534

MTimT said:

A penny for Cameron's thoughts, this time last year he was bumming up with world leaders and planning his next 4 years as PM.

Yep, plenty of us said that history will judge them harshly, Cameron will be remembered as a disastrous PM, quite rightly.
    Perhaps. But, at least Cameron passed on a functioning party.

The effect of Blair, Brown & Miliband has been to wreck a functioning party.
    Cameron I think will be highly rated in the future. Unlike most political figures he actually did pretty much all that he promised. When he took over, the Tories looked as deep in the shit as labour are now and yet he left them with a majority & Corbyn running labour.
    Pretty strong story.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    Nobody really knows anything about what is likely to happen - except that whatever we end up expecting to happen, almost certainly won't.

As for the defection, not sure Carswell from Independent to Tory would count as a defection.
    You don't really defect from being independent, do you?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Leavers absolubtely fucking love her. My colleague voted Lib Dem in 2010, switched to UKIP - voted leave and is now with the Tories.
    Couple Labour leavers I know messaged today to say they will vote for May (not the Tories, but May).
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    HYUFD said:

May would win the biggest Tory landslide since Baldwin in 1931 if this poll was correct

Strictly that was a National government, not a Tory one.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    kle4 said:

MTimT said:

No he won't. He did fine, he just lost big on the EU issue - and if that turns out fine, then his personal failure on that won't matter.
    Errrh, he resigns with a majority of 12 and within a year his party has a majority of 100+ - what does that tell you?
  • Options
    MrsB said:

Nobody really knows anything about what is likely to happen - except that whatever we end up expecting to happen, almost certainly won't.

As for the defection, not sure Carswell from Independent to Tory would count as a defection.
    You don't really defect from being independent, do you?

Headlines rarely match the truth of a story, they could spin it that way if they wanted.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    GIN1138 said:

Chuka Umunna‏ @ChukaUmunna
    Theresa May is a disgrace-she called an Election because she rejects the idea of an Opposition in our democracy.We are not some dictatorship

That's the way the cookie crumbles under FPTP. Labour took themselves out of the game and threw themselves into oblivion when they elected Corbyn.

That's not the Conservatives fault anymore than it was Blairs fault that the Tories destroyed themselves and went down to a 180 seat Labour landslide in 1997.

But, the encouraging thing from Labour's perspective is that as FPTP gives so FPTP can take away... And it can do it surprisingly quickly. Ten years from now we might be talking about Labour (or some other party) being on course for a landslide that kicks out the Tories...
    Yes. I think the longer term such a result now could be extremely good for the Labour party. Once they've done the hard thinking about what the Labour party is for in the 21st century, new candidates without all the baggage & history will come forward, and then they can start afresh.

I hope.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,127
    Pulpstar said:

Seems to be the equivalent of what Merkel has in Germany.

I don't get it myself.

Hilary seemed to have the reverse effect.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

May would win the biggest Tory landslide since Baldwin in 1931 if this poll was correct

Conservatives won 470 of the 554 seats of the National government.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

I never wanted this unnecessary unwanted general election in the first place, but now that it's happening I suppose I will have to get on with it (instead of reading books, writing poetry, sipping tea, eating cake, and being generally bourgeois and lazy, which is what I thought 2017 was going to be like).

You know how to live, and live well.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Leavers have the choice between May, Nuttall and Corbyn - this is much different to Cameron vs Farage.

May is hanging on to the Tory remainers too !
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,127
    Mortimer said:

William Glenn has been working his magic on other forums too?
    LOL. I think this poll is far too positive for Labour.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yes, inexplicable. Seems like UKIP dropping like a stone finally registering, but why now.

Odd question, but I wonder if Cameron will be doing any campaigning - people vary from May totally ignoring all he did, to 'she's not really altering that much from Cameron', so I wonder if they'll make use of him - he may not appear to working classes and women like May, but he has appeal in other areas.
    My source who told me yesterday that Osborne was going to stand down as an MP says May and Cameron are in talks for Dave to campaign in the South West.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Two of the 21% leads came pre-announcement, while she was supposedly up mount snowdon having a regilious conversation to the idea of a snap GE
  • Options
    kle4 said:

glw said:

Except the other 20% leads arrived before the announcement.
    Thanks for pointing out my mistake which I realised as soon as I hit post. :)

That makes it even more inexplicable, Article 50 invocation maybe?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    On UNS, Labour would lose everything up to and including Sedgefield on an 8.5% swing.

We can assume however, that the swing will be lower in some seats, and higher in others. Assuming a maximum swing of about 14%, then the Conservatives could potentially win places like Wentworth, Rochdale, and Eccles.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Pulpstar said:

I don't get it myself.

Difference between May and Clinton? May *IS* 20 points ahead in the polls.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Then the opposition absolutely have to nail her on Brexit - any hint of compromise or softness, and some number of those adoring Leavers will flounce away.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I don't get it myself.

May like Merkel are provincial daughters of Protestant ministers.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Two of the 21% leads came pre-announcement, while she was supposedly up mount snowdon having a regilious conversation to the idea of a snap GE
    I think Gina Miller has probably added a few % to the Tory score actually.
  • Options

kle4 said:

My source who told me yesterday that Osborne was going to stand down as an MP says May and Cameron are in talks for Dave to campaign in the South West.
    Would be a good catch. Hopefully he and Lynton will show her the way on being a bit less loony right wing and a bit more moderate right wing.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Makes sense - I like him, and I live in the SW, so maybe others do.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

kle4 said:

What would he campaign on? Vote for may to ensure Walter softy brexit?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/854803824221073408

Reminder: the Labour Party now has 48 days left to convince the voters of England and Wales that the idea of a Far Left minority Government, headed by Jeremy Corbyn, John McDonnell, Diane Abbott and Emily Thornberry, and propped up by the votes of Scottish Nationalists, is to be embraced and celebrated.

May cannot possibly poll any lower than 41-42% (make that nearer 45% if I'm wrong about Ukip and they totally implode,) and Corbyn can't make 30% under any realistic scenario, insofar as I can see - and the gap could well be wider.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Mortimer said:

Shit - really? - I mean that poll is surely upper end of possible
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Leavers have the choice between May, Nuttall and Corbyn - this is much different to Cameron vs Farage.

May is hanging on to the Tory remainers too !

They have nowhere to go. The Lib Dems are a joke, even with a proper leader rather than the parish council bin collector it would be a difficult sell.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Makes sense - I like him, and I live in the SW, so maybe others do.
    I'm hopefully he'll be back, maybe in the Lords. He still has a lot to offer.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059
    JohnLoony said:

This is the sort of thing which just makes me nervous. It can't be this good; it's just not realistic. In 2015 I was nervous when I saw my excellent Conservative MP well ahead in the postal votes (by a ratio of more than 3:2 on some days) but he still only ended up with a majority of 165.

If there is a national swing of XYZ% from Labour to Conservative, it could easily vary between 2*XYZ% and 0% (or even minus-something%) in some constituencies, and Croydon Central (or London generally) could easily be at the low end of that range of swings.

Say hi to Gavin from me
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    BTW not much time to view PB today owing to political activity. Has anyone commented on the surge in Lib Dem members. 5000+ by tea time yesterday, and continuing strongly today.
  • Options

kle4 said:

MTimT said:

Errrh, he resigns with a majority of 12 and within a year his party has a majority of 100+ - what does that tell you?
    These are very different circumstances - May is reaching people he never reached, but part of that is because of Brexit happening which, let's remember, she didn't want to happen. Her appeal seems real, but the positive situation of being able to steer Brexit well is not something that happened due to her skill as a leader.

You act like he was a barrier to the Tory vote this whole time, which is provably nonsense given where they were when he arrived on the scene. These are not directly comparable situations.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,687

kle4 said:

MTimT said:

kle4 said:

OK, this is getting silly now. I don't mean to sound to a Corbynista, but how can such numbers be possible?

I think with numbers like these in the polls, I'd be looking at the polls' in-house corrections. Whatever needed to be applied in 2015 probably should not be applied with the Cons this far out in front. So if they are correcting for shy/difficult to get hold of Tories, let's strip that out straight away to get to a more realistic figure for the current situation.
    I will be casting my ballot to return a potential Labour Prime Minister to Westminster.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

On UNS, Labour would lose everything up to and including Sedgefield on an 8.5% swing.

We can assume however, that the swing will be lower in some seats, and higher in others. Assuming a maximum swing of about 14%, then the Conservatives could potentially win places like Wentworth, Rochdale, and Eccles.

What was the highest swing in 1997 ? Brent North ? It must have been nearly double the national swing.
  • Options
    I am sure when the public hear more about corbyn ozil law to ensure a maximum wage they will be back on board.
  • Options

May cannot possibly poll any lower than 41-42% (make that nearer 45% if I'm wrong about Ukip and they totally implode,) and Corbyn can't make 30% under any realistic scenario, insofar as I can see - and the gap could well be wider.

If the Tories can just get Corbyn to call the Falkland Islands the Malvinas it could be all over.

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    MrsB said:

BTW not much time to view PB today owing to political activity. Has anyone commented on the surge in Lib Dem members. 5000+ by tea time yesterday, and continuing strongly today.

No, because we are quite normal people and don’t maintain an hourly running tally of the membership of the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    MrsB said:

Yes, very impressive stuff. I think some PBers are among them. Make better use of them than the Labour 500k.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I think Gina Miller has probably added a few % to the Tory score actually.
    One does wonder whether she is a UKIP/Leave mole trying to make the Remain camp look insane. A liberal forum I frequent which is completely and totally out of touch with reality had the members cheering her on, which means she is complete poison for ordinary voters.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

kle4 said:

MTimT said:

kle4 said:

I will be casting my ballot to return a potential Labour Prime Minister to Westminster.
    I see what you did there...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    AnneJGP said:

GIN1138 said:

Chuka Umunna‏ @ChukaUmunna
    Theresa May is a disgrace-she called an Election because she rejects the idea of an Opposition in our democracy.We are not some dictatorship

That's the way the cookie crumbles under FPTP. Labour took themselves out of the game and threw themselves into oblivion when they elected Corbyn.

That's not the Conservatives fault anymore than it was Blairs fault that the Tories destroyed themselves and went down to a 180 seat Labour landslide in 1997.

But, the encouraging thing from Labour's perspective is that as FPTP gives so FPTP can take away... And it can do it surprisingly quickly. Ten years from now we might be talking about Labour (or some other party) being on course for a landslide that kicks out the Tories...
    Yes. I think the longer term such a result now could be extremely good for the Labour party. Once they've done the hard thinking about what the Labour party is for in the 21st century, new candidates without all the baggage & history will come forward, and then they can start afresh.

I hope.
    Yep. Sometimes you have to destroy to rebuild.

Labour had to go through 1983 to get to 1997. The Tories had to go through 1997 to get to 2017.

Here we go again...
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Yes, not plausible for Labour. There is a swing of 1% to them.

• Options

kle4 said:

MTimT said:

kle4 said:

Good for you, stay the course.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

What was the highest swing in 1997 ? Brent North ? It must have been nearly double the national swing.
    According to wiki Brent North is the record holder.

For Lab->Con it is 14.4%, Hemel Hempstead 2010.
  • Options

MrsB said:

No, because we are quite normal people.
    Demonstrably false, sir!
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,894
    That poll looks completely ridiculous, until you realise just what Labour are offering to the electorate, I expect that that 24% will go lower, with the Tories and/or LDs to benefit. We may even see crossover.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,126

HYUFD said:

Though the Tories won 470 seats
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    In February 1974 when the Conservatives called the "Who Governs Britain" election they quickly moved up to a 9% opinion poll lead . The final polls before election day had them still between 2 and 5% ahead .
  • Options

In February 1974 when the Conservatives called the "Who Governs Britain" election they quickly moved up to a 9% opinion poll lead . The final polls before election day had them still between 2 and 5% ahead .

Whet were they on just before the election was called?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't get it myself.

Difference between May and Clinton? May *IS* 20 points ahead in the polls.
    Plus say what you like about Trump he was a far better campaigner than Corbyn and a far more dangerous opponent, as indeed was Bernie Sanders who almost beat her in the primaries too, both appealed to the white working class in a way Corbyn never could
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Floater said:

Mortimer said:

There is no law against polling 50%.
  • Options
    MrsB said:

I joined 3 weeks ago a bit ahead of the surge and with no idea that there would be an election. :)

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Sean_F said:

Will Mrs Duffy come out for Mrs May? That's what I'm waiting for! :D
  • Options

So still likely somewhere between 9-17 lead now though, assuming there's a bit of a bump and assuming the other 20+ leads were anomalous?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

MTimT said:

These are very different circumstances - May is reaching people he never reached, but part of that is because of Brexit happening which, let's remember, she didn't want to happen. Her appeal seems real, but the positive situation of being able to steer Brexit well is not something that happened due to her skill as a leader.

You act like he was a barrier to the Tory vote this whole time, which is provably nonsense given where they were when he arrived on the scene. These are not directly comparable situations.
    Quite right. May was a core part of the Cameron project, and a Remainer to boot.

• Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    Its almost as if most of the British people don't read pb.c and therefore don't realise how badly the government and Mrs May are doing.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I can see places like Rochdale being vulnerable - middle class/affluent leavers in Bamford/Littleborough/Milnrow could shift from the LDs, WWC leavers from Lab, lots of SME owners who could be sold on a Tory message.

Add the toxicity of Danczuk and the negative view of Corbyn's leadership, and we could see some very surprising results.
  • Options
    The highest the Conservatives reached in 1983 was 52% but their biggest lead was only 22%:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-1979-1983

Their actual vote was rather lower than most polls predicted though.
  • Options

kle4 said:

To warn people of the dangers of Corbyn.

Dave can do the dirty political attacks without looking like a nasty Tory.
  • Options
    Still think if the locals make things look not so bad for Lab/Good for LD, there will be an overreaction on its impact for the GEs, I'll be watching for moves in the markets then I should think.
  • Options

I am sure when the public hear more about corbyn ozil law to ensure a maximum wage they will be back on board.

That's what is so bonkers about this poll, I can't see a Labour campaign with Corbyn and McDonnell leading being a net vote winner, and the potential for serious slip-ups is huge.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    RobD said:

About 4% ahead on average IIRC
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    kle4 said:

He might have dented some of that appeal by his belated declaration that he was pleased the EU referendum went Leave. I still don't understand that at all.
  • Options

Tess is no Ted and Jezza is certainly no Harold...
  • Options

kle4 said:

In the SW, isn't the enemy the lib dems not Karl Marx idiot cousin?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    MrsB said:

Someone has... who's your fav?
  • Options

kle4 said:

In the SW, isn't the enemy the lib dems not Karl Marx idiot cousin?
    Every non vote for the Tories is a vote to make Corbyn PM.

Complacency.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

Will Mrs Duffy come our for Mrs May? That;s what I'm waiting for! :D
    They think its all over....It is now...
  • Options

RobD said:

About 4% ahead on average IIRC
    So the election campaign in that instance barely shifted the polls. Compare and contrast with the 2010 election!
  • Options

Its almost as if most of the British people don't read pb.c and therefore don't realise how badly the government and Mrs May are doing.

Of my local labour literature received today, 2 were locally focused pieces, and the nationally focused one was 3 pages of the 'NHS is in crisis' and page with a few bullet points on austerity, minimum wage etc. Fighting the same old battles.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,127

I don't think the Conservative position is the story. The will probably poll in the mid-high 40s and crush Labour in many areas regardless of the campaign. The question is whether Labour will drop through the FPTP trapdoor completely and whether the 'metropolitan liberal elite' get the message and abandon Labour too - and Brexit is a good motivator for them to do so.
  • Options

The highest the Conservatives reached in 1983 was 52% but their biggest lead was only 22%:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-1979-1983

Their actual vote was rather lower than most polls predicted though.

Indeed lower than 79.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

Floater said:

Mortimer said:

There is no law against polling 50%.
    No law, only lore.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

kle4 said:

He might have dented some of that appeal by his belated declaration that he was pleased the EU referendum went Leave. I still don't understand that at all.
    I doubt most people will have picked up on a comment like that,given he's inthe background now.
  • Options
    Oh, since it has yet to be said:

May's support: a mile wide and a mile deep. :smiley:
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    24% is, coincidentally, the percentage Labour achieved in the 2015 GE following the Scottish referendum.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Yes and the Tories actually finished the election 0.7% ahead of Labour in the popular vote and just 4 MPs behind
  • Options
    The Tories polled over 50% when Dave was leader. 52% in fact.

Mrs May is no Dave.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Is anyone else on here prepared to say they haven't decided who they are going to vote for? I was hoping I wouldn't have to make my mind up on such an unappetising menu until 2020. And there's the locals as well. Maybe another protest vote for the Greens. I quite liked their idea for a 4 day week. Not saying it's practical but our long hours low productivity culture needs shaking up.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Labour had been leading almost continually for three years - but there weren't as many polls back then:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/vote-intention-1970-oct1974
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mrs May is uninspiring and that's helping her. She's cautious, thinks carefully before doing anything at all, and is a boring speaker. That's why the silly talk of her being Erdogan makes the accusers look barmy.

Faced with the uncertainty of Brexit, and the wild lunacy of Jezza, she only has to plod carefully on. The tortoise defeating the mad March hare.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,310
    Cameron and May are the right leaders for the right time.

Cameron - started with under 200 seats, PM five years later, faced huge deficit "whoever wins will be out of power for a generation", another five years later he got a Con majority.

Could May have done that? Of course not. Cameron was electorally more successful than anyone could have possibly even dreamt.

But May is the right PM for Brexit. Cameron couldn't go on and May is widely trusted to deliver Brexit. And she doesn't have the "posh" drawback that Cameron had so can reach people now who Cameron couldn't.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670

The Tories polled over 50% when Dave was leader. 52% in fact.

Mrs May is no Dave.

But unfortunately it turned out that Dave was no Dave either.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,894

Is anyone else on here prepared to say they haven't decided who they are going to vote for? I was hoping I wouldn't have to make my mind up on such an unappetising menu until 2020. And there's the locals as well. Maybe another protest vote for the Greens. I quite liked their idea for a 4 day week. Not saying it's practical but our long hours low productivity culture needs shaking up.

At the locals I'm going to be voting for the Residents' Group, but for the General Election it could go to anyone (bar Labour).
  • Options

The problem with a four day week is that I've got a suspicion I'd end up doing five days equivalent work under more pressure and for less pay.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mrs May is uninspiring and that's helping her. She's cautious, thinks carefully before doing anything at all, and is a boring speaker. That's why the silly talk of her being Erdogan makes the accusers look barmy.

Faced with the uncertainty of Brexit, and the wild lunacy of Jezza, she only has to plod carefully on. The tortoise defeating the mad March hare.

Mutti I think is a better equivalence.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Cameron and May are the right leaders for the right time.

Cameron - started with under 200 seats, PM five years later, faced huge deficit "whoever wins will be out of power for a generation", another five years later he got a Con majority.

Could May have done that? Of course not. Cameron was electorally more successful than anyone could have possibly even dreamt.

But May is the right PM for Brexit. Cameron couldn't go on and May is widely trusted to deliver Brexit. And she doesn't have the "posh" drawback that Cameron had so can reach people now who Cameron couldn't.

A good summary I feel. It doesn't have to be that one was a disaster and the other brilliant.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    glw said:

That's what is so bonkers about this poll, I can't see a Labour campaign with Corbyn and McDonnell leading being a net vote winner, and the potential for serious slip-ups is huge.
    Another reminder: in each of the last six general elections, Labour's final result on polling day was lower than their polling average two months beforehand.

*IF* the pattern holds then they could sink towards 20%. But I have a hard time envisioning Labour - even under Corbyn - falling below 25% this time around. It's probably not logical of me, but it just feels too good to be true.
This discussion has been closed.