Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tories take a stonking 21% lead with ComRes poll, up 4% in mon

124»

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,352

RobD said:

For balance, I've written an x is crap thread for the morning and it isn't about Jeremy Corbyn.

Please leave Boris alone .
    Boris does feature in said thread, however he is not the X in question.
    It's May, isn't it? :p
    As if I would ever write a thread disparaging Mrs May.
    TSE is a Quasi-Tory!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,514
    edited April 2017
    RobD said:

RobD said:

For balance, I've written an x is crap thread for the morning and it isn't about Jeremy Corbyn.

Don't you mean "pound shop Gordon Brown"? ;)
    I'm no longer making that comparison.

Gordon Brown kept the UK together in 2014.

Mrs May's recent actions are likely to break up the UK.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Naught but REMOANER propaganda!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2017
    Interesting that the Wikipedia pages on the opinion polls for the French presidential election are only in French, English, Spanish and Portuguese. No-one in Germany interested enough to create a German language version? I know they're just numbers but still you'd think someone there would do it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_French_presidential_election,_2017
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    The Scotsman - Pete Wishart under fire for ‘foul-mouthed’ Twitter post

Daily Record - SNP MP Pete Wishart under fire after branding pro-union candidates 'w***s'

Twitter
    (((StephenDaisley)))‏Verified account @JournoStephen Apr 14
    When a party tolerates people like this, indulging every fresh outrage, it shares responsibility for what they do.

The Courier SNP MP Pete Wishart criticised for “insulting” Twitter post days after leader’s plea for mature debate
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    rcs1000 said:

Then again Franco did prevaricate in his "alliance" with Hitler, only sending a token force of volunteers to the Eastern Front.

I've always admired Franco for taking German help in the civil war and then offering basically nothing in return.

Yep, Franco brilliantly allowed the Germans to carpet bomb any number of Spanish cities and twns, and kill thousands of innocent men, women and children. It was genius.

• Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Then again Franco did prevaricate in his "alliance" with Hitler, only sending a token force of volunteers to the Eastern Front.

I've always admired Franco for taking German help in the civil war and then offering basically nothing in return.
    His troops were too busy on internal repression and massacres for foreign adventures.
    No, Franco took a conscious decision not to help the Axis. There was a famously disastrous meeting between the Caudillo and the Fuhrer. They did not get on.

That is certainly the Francoist version of events.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    edited April 2017

RobD said:

RobD said:

Both May and Brown are ironically more popular in Scotland than Cameron and Blair were
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Yep, Franco brilliantly allowed the Germans to carpet bomb any number of Spanish cities and twns, and kill thousands of innocent men, women and children. It was genius.

And the Republicans didn't kill thousands of innocents?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

rcs1000 said:

I think the German contribution to the Falangist cause was fairly modest compared with the Italian.

• Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Is there a difference in methodology between Comres and Opinium that would explain the large discrepancy?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

And the Republicans didn't kill thousands of innocents?

Only one side used Blitzkrieg as a strategy.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

I think the German contribution to the Falangist cause was fairly modest compared with the Italian.

The Italians were beatable, as the Republicans demonstrated. The Luftwaffe was not; at least not with the tools available.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

I come on PB, I see the usual shit being thrown around. I post a sarky comment. And then I leave...

Or do I?

I'm certainly not going to get engaged in another tedious Brexit discussion with people who can't change their minds, and won't change the subject.

But I will attempt to steer the conversation. I have seen three brilliant TV series this year.

Big Little Lies is terrific. Very tense, with some nicely rounded characters. It isn't perfect (all the male characters are weak or shits or both, the conclusion is a bit too well telegraphed), but it is well paced, well scripted and well edited. 9/10.

Goliath is typically well made David E Kelly lawsuit story. It's David (played outstandingly by Billy Bob Thornton) vs Goliath (played by William Hurt). Washed out alcoholic, blah blah. What's brilliant about this is the female supporting characters (and Billy Bob). The plot is ridiculous and the closing trial anti-climatic, but it's well worth a watch. 8.5/10.

Shut Eye is the Sopranos in LA and set around the fortune telling mafia. You know those signs offering physic reading? This is about the organisation that sits behind that. Chillingly dark, and extremely well made. It's a bit unevenly paced, but the premise is good and the characterisation excellent. 8.5/10.

I have no idea where in the UK these shows can be watched, but they are all worth seeing.

Yes, yes, yes, you're now living in LA. Well done. Are you happy now? Frankly, I can't abide PB-ers who come on here to boast about their wealth, success, royalties, girlfriendS, with comments barely disguised as TV critiques or mild observations about AV or forex.

PUKE
    Do we have anyone like that ?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    fitalass said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

So this is wwels

If the EU is intending to humiliate us, as the report claims, then the hardest of hard brexits it will have to be - if they want to humiliate, then the EU was never interested in a meaningful discussion and May can quite rightly claim the EU allowed no options, and so any problems are their fault, since they never even waited to negotiate with May before seeking humiliation.

The biggest risk to the Tory lead is that May gets blamed for a poor deal, but if the EU starts out with a stance that is portrayed, with glee, as humiliation, then May will get a much easier pass - any problems would have been blamed on a truculent EU anyway, but apparently that defence will be 100% accurate.
    Indeed so. "Fuck Europe" will be the natural UK attitude.
    We can't leave before March 2019 without their agreement. Scottish independence is already baked in. The UK will be defunct by the time this is over.
    That is seriously unfortunate and I hope it is not so. But it has to be said that if the EU seeks to humiliate, then they clearly are not the logical, moral organisation we are repeatedly told. Such an organisation would strike the best deal for its members, which surely does not include humiliating neighbouring countries.
    The humiliation will be entirely self-inflicted.

It was May's decision to press on with a hard Brexit despite two of the four nations of the UK voting to Remain in the EU. Just think how we would perceive a similar situation if we were talking about another multinational state on the other side of Europe? The political logic from all sides, not least the true Brexit believers, can only lead to the break-up of the UK.
    Seriously? Given the choice, who would those parts of the UK who voted to Remain trust the most to have their back in a tight corner, the rest of the UK or Europe?!
    Europe.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,190

You should have done your Wiki thing first, 45,000 wasn't a token force.
    "We are the 45!!!!" :lol:

But seriously, 45,000 is about the same number as that other token pro-Axis force, the INA.
    Oh well, if you think the UK sent token forces to Korea, The Falklands, Iraq, Afghanistan..
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

OK, here's my attempt to steer the conversation:

Slumming it in Weymouth this long weekend, and went to Durdle Door today. Monkey World tomorrow and hopefully Swanage Railway on Monday!

Bovington Tank Museum is an easy stroll away from Monkey World, and I know which I would visit by choice - can one like trains without also liking tanks?

Also, Maiden Castle is one of the coolest places in the country.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    edited April 2017
    surbiton said:

fitalass said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

So this is wwels

If the EU is intending to humiliate us, as the report claims, then the hardest of hard brexits it will have to be - if they want to humiliate, then the EU was never interested in a meaningful discussion and May can quite rightly claim the EU allowed no options, and so any problems are their fault, since they never even waited to negotiate with May before seeking humiliation.

The biggest risk to the Tory lead is that May gets blamed for a poor deal, but if the EU starts out with a stance that is portrayed, with glee, as humiliation, then May will get a much easier pass - any problems would have been blamed on a truculent EU anyway, but apparently that defence will be 100% accurate.
    Indeed so. "Fuck Europe" will be the natural UK attitude.
    We can't leave before March 2019 without their agreement. Scottish independence is already baked in. The UK will be defunct by the time this is over.
    That is seriously unfortunate and I hope it is not so. But it has to be said that if the EU seeks to humiliate, then they clearly are not the logical, moral organisation we are repeatedly told. Such an organisation would strike the best deal for its members, which surely does not include humiliating neighbouring countries.
    The humiliation will be entirely self-inflicted.

It was May's decision to press on with a hard Brexit despite two of the four nations of the UK voting to Remain in the EU. Just think how we would perceive a similar situation if we were talking about another multinational state on the other side of Europe? The political logic from all sides, not least the true Brexit believers, can only lead to the break-up of the UK.
    Seriously? Given the choice, who would those parts of the UK who voted to Remain trust the most to have their back in a tight corner, the rest of the UK or Europe?!
    Europe.
    Yes Europe is taking a very enlightened view to Remain voting London, it wants to see the City thrive and prosper, its rhetoric about stealing half its business and taking it to Paris, Frankfurt and Dublin is all for show.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,024
    surbiton said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

I come on PB, I see the usual shit being thrown around. I post a sarky comment. And then I leave...

Or do I?

I'm certainly not going to get engaged in another tedious Brexit discussion with people who can't change their minds, and won't change the subject.

But I will attempt to steer the conversation. I have seen three brilliant TV series this year.

Big Little Lies is terrific. Very tense, with some nicely rounded characters. It isn't perfect (all the male characters are weak or shits or both, the conclusion is a bit too well telegraphed), but it is well paced, well scripted and well edited. 9/10.

Goliath is typically well made David E Kelly lawsuit story. It's David (played outstandingly by Billy Bob Thornton) vs Goliath (played by William Hurt). Washed out alcoholic, blah blah. What's brilliant about this is the female supporting characters (and Billy Bob). The plot is ridiculous and the closing trial anti-climatic, but it's well worth a watch. 8.5/10.

Shut Eye is the Sopranos in LA and set around the fortune telling mafia. You know those signs offering physic reading? This is about the organisation that sits behind that. Chillingly dark, and extremely well made. It's a bit unevenly paced, but the premise is good and the characterisation excellent. 8.5/10.

I have no idea where in the UK these shows can be watched, but they are all worth seeing.

Yes, yes, yes, you're now living in LA. Well done. Are you happy now? Frankly, I can't abide PB-ers who come on here to boast about their wealth, success, royalties, girlfriendS, with comments barely disguised as TV critiques or mild observations about AV or forex.

PUKE
    Do we have anyone like that ?
    I'm fairly sure that was tongue in cheek...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983

But seriously, 45,000 is about the same number as that other token pro-Axis force, the INA.
    Oh well, if you think the UK sent token forces to Korea, The Falklands, Iraq, Afghanistan..
    They amounted to 0.7% of the total forces on the eastern front in 41, and only 1.1% of the Axis forces. I think token sums that up pretty well.
  • Options

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

His troops were too busy on internal repression and massacres for foreign adventures.
    No, Franco took a conscious decision not to help the Axis. There was a famously disastrous meeting between the Caudillo and the Fuhrer. They did not get on.

"An oft-cited remark attributed to Hitler is that the German leader said that he would rather have some of his own teeth extracted than to have to personally deal further with Franco."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Franco#World_War_II
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

OK, here's my attempt to steer the conversation:

Slumming it in Weymouth this long weekend, and went to Durdle Door today. Monkey World tomorrow and hopefully Swanage Railway on Monday!

Enjoy the SR! Ma & Pa are life members and enjoy it immensely. Of course, in the next few years it will be joined up with the proper railway again at Wareham....

If only some enterprising bookseller had opened a shop there in anticipation....
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Gordon Brown did not keep the UK together in 2014, quite the opposite, he just handed the SNP yet another grudge and grievance trowl! And lets not forget whose bright idea Devolution was back in the 90's, and dreamt up solely for the aim of having his own SLab fiefdom in Scotland whoever happened to be in Government at Westminster. And we all know how that bright idea has turned out for Labour North of the Border. And if anything, Mrs May just managed to slam the brakes on another Indy Ref anytime this side of a Holyrood election.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The Italians were beatable, as the Republicans demonstrated. The Luftwaffe was not; at least not with the tools available.

As I recall the film Battle of Britain made full use of the Spanish Air Force copies of Heinkels amd Messerschmidts for the air battle scenes.
  • Options

We're talking WW2 here - Germany and her Axis chums mobilised 3.8 million men for Operation Barbarossa. The 45,000 Spanish force was a drop in the ocean.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,190
    RobD said:

They amounted to 0.7% of the total forces on the eastern front in 41, and only 1.1% of the Axis forces. I think token sums that up pretty well.
    I'll see if I can get a hold of a medium to let my dad know he was part of a token force in Korea.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    AndyJS said:

Interesting that the Wikipedia pages on the opinion polls for the French presidential election are only in French, English, Spanish and Portuguese. No-one in Germany interested enough to create a German language version? I know they're just numbers but still you'd think someone there would do it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_French_presidential_election,_2017

That may be most Germans that are interested in French politics can speck French (or English, or, Spanish, or Portuguese) where as large numbers of native English speckers cant?
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    For the first time in my life I am considering not voting.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Which election?
  • Options

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

"An oft-cited remark attributed to Hitler is that the German leader said that he would rather have some of his own teeth extracted than to have to personally deal further with Franco."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Franco#World_War_II
    There are lots of reasons why Frenco, kept his involvement in WW2 to a minimum, but 2 that are worth mentioning are:

Food, Spain was a net food imported at the time and imported about 400,000 tons of grains from north America, the UK made clear that the RN would stop this if Spain became a full German co-belligerent.

The Canary islands, Churchill threated, though diplomatic channels to invade this if Gibraltar was taken by the Axis.

Both threats where credible because of the size and power of the RN at the time.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Which election?
    Next month's locals and mayoral
  • Options

RobD said:

I'll see if I can get a hold of a medium to let my dad know he was part of a token force in Korea.
    We're talking WW2 here - Germany and her Axis chums mobilised 3.8 million men for Operation Barbarossa. The 45,000 Spanish force was a drop in the ocean.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

It was a significant part of the Falangist army.

The Spanish Civil War is pretty classic of massacres on both sides, albeit mostly spontaneous revolutionary massacres in the summer of 36 by the Republicans, while the Falangist murders were more systematic and continued well into the forties.

Like Syria in the present day, with a secular government pitted against socially conservative religious usurpers. Civil wars tend to be particularly uncivil affairs.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Which election?
    I didn't bother voting in last year's London Mayoral. Was the first election I missed since the 1999 Euros.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    If there is a need for a new centre ground party in the Uk, which is the old centre party?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    I'm with ComRes on this one. No idea who Opinium are actually polling, but they don't live in any of the top 50 marginal seats.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Which election?
    Which area? We have an excellent slate of LDs in Leics.
  • Options

If there is a need for a new centre ground party in the Uk, which is the old centre party?

Whigs. I miss them.
  • Options
    May's advisors must be whispering 'early election' in her ears tonight
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Which election?
    Which area? We have an excellent slate of LDs in Leics.
    Trafford.

There is no one worth voting for. The whole lot have lost the plot IMO
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

So you are in a party of one and unable to form a coalition with other people?
  • Options

Whigs. I miss them.
    I think that Carswell should become a Whig!
  • Options

That would be a shame, I have never yet had a Government I voted for in nearly two decades of the Holyrood Parliament. But I am the eternal optimist, and will keep voting. I will be voting in the locals, whatever else happens in Government or with Brexit, someone still needs to make sure that local services are delivered.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Whigs. I miss them.
    I think that Carswell should become a Whig!</blockquote

:+1:
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Which election?
    I didn't bother voting in last year's London Mayoral. Was the first election I missed since the 1999 Euros.
    It is not a stance I approve of and I feel irritated by even considering it, but there really is no one to vote for.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Which election?
    It is not a stance I approve of and I feel irritated by even considering it, but there really is no one to vote for.
    You could always spoil your ballot?
  • Options

The LibDems aren't fit for purpose :)
  • Options
    I know there are a number of PBers who love Andy:

https://twitter.com/hrtbps/status/853282758734618624
  • Options

So you are in a party of one and unable to form a coalition with other people?
    I have no idea what you mean
  • Options
    Apologies, just fixed broken links.
    fitalass said:

The Scotsman - Pete Wishart under fire for ‘foul-mouthed’ Twitter post

Daily Record - SNP MP Pete Wishart under fire after branding pro-union candidates 'w***s'

Twitter
    (((StephenDaisley)))‏Verified account @JournoStephen Apr 14
    When a party tolerates people like this, indulging every fresh outrage, it shares responsibility for what they do.

The Courier SNP MP Pete Wishart criticised for “insulting” Twitter post days after leader’s plea for mature debate

• Options
    So, polling shows that Corbyn's latest two or three ideas have traction with public, but he is purely toxic.

This leads us to the conclusion that...
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    fitalass said:

That would be a shame, I have never yet had a Government I voted for in nearly two decades of the Holyrood Parliament. But I am the eternal optimist, and will keep voting. I will be voting in the locals, whatever else happens in Government or with Brexit, someone still needs to make sure that local services are delivered.
    The Lib Dems locally are hopeless (I should know I have signed enough candidature papers over the years), the tories locally are letting the place go to pot and nationally are fast becoming dominated by the swivel eyed loon brigade, and Labour is unelectable. Although I have voted Green in the past I do not think they are standing.

The only message that makes sense is decreased voter turnout and there is onl one way I can participate in that message
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

I think it's sweet the lads took the time out to teach Andy how to cook.
  • Options
  • Options

I think it's sweet the lads took the time out to teach Andy how to cook.
    Good point. What exactly is going on in this photo. Are they tubes of tomato paste or glue?
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Which election?
    I approve of that even less than failing to vote
  • Options
    Night all. Play nicely.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

fitalass said:

The Lib Dems locally are hopeless (I should know I have signed enough candidature papers over the years), the tories locally are letting the place go to pot and nationally are fast becoming dominated by the swivel eyed loon brigade, and Labour is unelectable. Although I have voted Green in the past I do not think they are standing.

The only message that makes sense is decreased voter turnout and there is onl one way I can participate in that message
    Not voting in the mayoral election? There is a Green there.
  • Options

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Which election?
    I approve of that even less than failing to vote
    Why? Doesn't it acts as a 'none of the above' vote rather than an 'I can't be arsed' vote'?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,091
    fitalass said:
    You link led me to this story which offers an interesting and different take on the vested interests that will rear their heads during the Brexit negotiations: a farmer's union leader wanting to use Brexit to start being more protectionist towards New Zealand.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/business/farming/farming-news/406569/union-vice-president-calls-imports-nz-lamb-slashed/
  • Options
    I shall ponder further. Goodnight all ...
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Whigs. I miss them.
    I think Mike does too.... innocent face
  • Options

fitalass said:

Beverley, is there any local Independent candidates standing on local issues who you could vote for instead? Hope you and the family are all well.
  • Options

fitalass said:
    You link led me to this story which offers an interesting and different take on the vested interests that will rear their heads during the Brexit negotiations: a farmer's union leader wanting to use Brexit to start being more protectionist towards New Zealand.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/business/farming/farming-news/406569/union-vice-president-calls-imports-nz-lamb-slashed/
    What did you think of the article I linked? Isn't it about time that the SNP Government and the Holyrood Parliament started to focus on day job, and a good start would be fixing the glaring fundamental problems that means the Parliament is not delivering for the Scots electorate as it should be doing?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

May's advisors must be whispering 'early election' in her ears tonight

Not when the polling evidence is so foggy!
  • Options
    Sky News - North Korea missile launch fails, says South Korean military

"North Korea has attempted to launch a missile on its east coast but it has failed, South Korea's military has said.

The launch attempt took place in the Sinpo area of the North the day after a huge military parade took place in Pyongyang.

The US military said the launch took place at 10.21pm UK time (5.51am local time) but the missile "blew up almost immediately".

The US Pacific Command said the missile was still being assessed."

There had been fears that the North would attempt a missile launch or carry out a nuclear test as Saturday was the 105th anniversary of the birth of the country's founder.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Whigs. I miss them.
    Michael Fabricant doing his bit for their return to the House of Commons....

Oh. Whigs.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 709

With this ComRes poll the Tories have a 36% lead in the Midlands and a 46% lead with the over 65s.

We are talking about an ELE.

Edit: And a 1% Con lead in the North.

a 1% lead in the North is a swing Lab-Con of 8%, a 36% lead in the Midlands a swing Lab-Con of 14.5%
    And by socio-economic groups:

AB - Con lead of 24 (swing of 4 pts to Con since 2015 GE)
    C1 - Con lead of 22 (swing of 7 pts)
    C2 - Con lead of 17 (swing of 6 pts)
    DE - Con lead of 12 (swing of 10 pts)

Swings compared with vote shares in YouGov's 2015 post-election survey of 100,000 people.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 709
    More swings by region:

Scotland - Con lead of +9, swing of 9 pts Lab->Con
    North East - Lab +5, swing of 8pts Lab->Con
    North West - Lab +11, swing of 2 pts Lab->Con
    Yorks & Humber - Con +18, swing of 12 pts Lab->Con
    West Midlands - Con +34, swing of 13 pts Lab->Con
    East Midlands - Con +35, swing of 12 pts Lab->Con
    Wales - Con +18, swing of 14 pts Lab->Con
    Eastern - Con +36, swing of 5 pts Lab->Con
    London - Con +10, swing of 9 pts Lab->Con
    South East - Con +44, swing of 14 pts Lab->Con
    South West - Con +27, swing of 1 pt Con->Lab

All GB - Con +21, swing of 7 pts Lab->Con

Small sample sizes warning.

Hope for Labour yet in the South West. lol.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,914
    Morning all, and Happy Easter!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,308
    fitalass said:

At least with STV you have a very good chance of your vote counting towards someone's election; a privilege denied to a majority of the English.
This discussion has been closed.