Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This week’s PB/Polling Matters Podcast: The LD fight back and

Comments

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    DavidL said:

image .

Welcome back Beverley. Delighted to see the ridiculous abuse you got the other night has not got you down.
    :+1:

Thank you Mr L. It would take more than that lot to get me down. I am my usual bright, happy self.
  • Options
    RobD said:

image .

Poor @tyson :(
    What has happened to @tyson?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

scotslass said:

David

I expect the SNP to win the election as they have won every democratic contest in Scotland since 2010.

Well yes of course they will be the largest party. But they won't get a plurality. Will they gain more Councillors than the Tories? That was the question.
    There is plenty of scope for Ruth to recover from leading SCons to their worst ever council elections performance in 2012.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,678
    RobD said:

scotslass said:

David

The SNP will indeed win a plurality of councillors.

I am not sure you know what a plurality means perhaps because the Tories are more used to being a minority, albeit one which presumes to tell Scotland what to do.

"Plurality (voting), the most votes for any choice in an election, but not necessarily a majority"

The SNP will get that. To gain an absolute majority in an STV system with independents standing as well as political parties would be virtually impossible - much more difficult that a majority under FPP or indeed even the incredibly difficult majority under a list system which Salmond miraculously pulled off in 2011.

I repeat the SNP will win the election as they have won every contest since 2010.

You are forgetting the big one...
    Doesn't count - they got the answer wrong so it's a re-do....
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

Animal_pb said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

The soft Brexit/hard Brexit dichotomy is eminently bridgeable. Once we are out we are out. Our share of trade with the EU will fall, as it has been for many years now. Over time we will drift away from the overly bureaucratic approach that the EU has to every problem.

It is a favourite theme of many on here that a soft Brexit now will leave Brexiteers high and dry and frothing. I just don't see it. They have won and time will deliver all that they wanted for good or ill. Those looking for great splits in the Tories are going to be disappointed. They are more united than they have been since Maastricht.

Quite.

Labour cheerleaders are now keeping their fingers crossed for soft Brexit because they think it will anger the Tory right and split the party.

They fail to understand that:

- The Tory right care far more about British laws and sovereignty than they think.
    - The Tory right care far less about atlanticism than they think.
    - The Tory right care quite a lot more for Mrs May than Cameron/Osborne
    - The Tory traditionalists are going to win on domestic issues such as grammar schools in the coming years. Given the Venn diagram of Tory right and Tory traditionalists is almost a perfect circle, this will assuage any slight issues they may have on trade relations.

For purely partisan purposes, Labour cheerleaders should be hoping for the hardest of hard.

Edit to add:

In short, Mrs May is a far more typical Tory leader than Cameron could ever have been. Appealing to all parts of the party for different reasons.

I note that you cannot find it in yourself to believe that people who do not share your vision of Brexit also want what they believe is best for the UK. In the end, this is what will do for the right. They do not own my country's flag.

No, SO, we all know you mean well. You're a thoroughly decent old stick, and a much nicer person than many of the rest of us.

You're just wrong. :)
    Tis always the way, isn't it?

The right think the left are good people with bad ideas.

The left think the right are bad people..

If PB is anything to go by, the right seems to believe that the left is made up of traitors who hate the UK.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. Observer, don't believe I've ever said anything of that sort about you.

Broad brush generalisations are always wrong.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited April 2017

Animal_pb said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

The soft Brexit/hard Brexit dichotomy is eminently bridgeable. Once we are out we are out. Our share of trade with the EU will fall, as it has been for many years now. Over time we will drift away from the overly bureaucratic approach that the EU has to every problem.

It is a favourite theme of many on here that a soft Brexit now will leave Brexiteers high and dry and frothing. I just don't see it. They have won and time will deliver all that they wanted for good or ill. Those looking for great splits in the Tories are going to be disappointed. They are more united than they have been since Maastricht.

Quite.

Labour cheerleaders are now keeping their fingers crossed for soft Brexit because they think it will anger the Tory right and split the party.

- The Tory right care far more about British laws and sovereignty than they think.
    - The Tory traditionalists are going to win on domestic issues such as grammar schools in the coming years. Given the Venn diagram of Tory right and Tory traditionalists is almost a perfect circle, this will assuage any slight issues they may have on trade relations.

For purely partisan purposes, Labour cheerleaders should be hoping for the hardest of hard.

Edit to add:

In short, Mrs May is a far more typical Tory leader than Cameron could ever have been. Appealing to all parts of the party for different reasons.

I note that you cannot find it in yourself to believe that people who do not share your vision of Brexit also want what they believe is best for the UK. In the end, this is what will do for the right. They do not own my country's flag.

No, SO, we all know you mean well. You're a thoroughly decent old stick, and a much nicer person than many of the rest of us.

If PB is anything to go by, the right seems to believe that the left is made up of traitors who hate the UK.

That's the swivel eyed, Atlanticist, Europe hating, alt right to you :lol:
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

scotslass said:

David

I expect the SNP to win the election as they have won every democratic contest in Scotland since 2010.

Except one.
    Yeah, they lost the Inverclyde by-election in 2011, that's what you meant?
    Think there was a minor one in 2014 but the Nat Borg have wiped it from their memory vaults for at least a generation.
    In that case, a generation in Scotland is about 3 years. If they can breed that fast we are all in trouble :D
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

scotslass said:

David

Except one.
    Think there was a minor one in 2014 but the Nat Borg have wiped it from their memory vaults for at least a generation.
    In that case, a generation in Scotland is about 3 years. If they can breed that fast we are all in trouble :D
    Actually they didn't lose that one either - it was blatantly stolen from them by the duplicitous "vow" or something...
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    Animal_pb said:

I think there will only be a resolution when Remainers accept there is no way back to the EU and Leavers accept they made a mistake. Not necessarily wrong on the principle, but wrong in their assumptions about Brexit, and in particular the one of taking back control. The EU will still be there as the only deal that counts in Europe; we will still need a relationship with it just as much as before, But it will be a much more deferential relationship where in practice we accept whatever the EU decides rather than being part of the decision-making. We're seeing that already with the Article 50 talks.

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The single market is our largest destination for exports.

The EU has been rapidly declining as a share of our overall export markets over the past decade, a trend that was very likely to continue regardless of Brexit.

The salient point is that our trade imbalance with the EU had widened rapidly up to the point of Brexit, such that if the overall volume of trade falls post Brexit (as I expect it will) the opportunities for UK based companies to take up new opportunities in UK domestic markets should more than outweigh the impact of lost markets on the continent. The risks arising from the loss of trade fall on the EU side, since for them the reverse is true i.e. closing down a previously expanding market for EU exports, with fewer additional opportunities in EU domestic markets if British firms withdraw.

Or, to put it more succinctly, the UK trade deficit which at Brexit stood at record levels as a share of GDP, would all but disappear if trade with the EU were removed from the equation.
    the whole of Europe is in decline

when I was born ( 1961 ) Europeans were about 20% of people on the planet by the time I die - say in the 2050s- they will be about 5%
    As another '61er that is a fantastic stat I am going to pinch.
    I'm guessing the UK's 'decline' will be of a similar ratio, though obviously a much smaller fraction of the world total. Of course losing 8% of your population in one swoop would be a bit of a jolt..
    I think that the UK's population has grown much more rapidly that the European average, largely as a result of mass migration. Scotland has seen very little of that which in some ways is a pity.
    Since 1960:

UK 52 -> 66 million
    France 47 -> 67 million
    Spain 30 -> 46 million
    Netherlands 11 -> 17 million

Perhaps you need to rethink.
    I was thinking over more recent years where Germany, for example, seems to have a negative birth rate. But that is interesting. Thanks.
    Since 2000:

UK 59 > 66
    France 61> 67
    Spain 41 > 46

All pretty similar but:

Germany 82 > 80

• Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Let us see. Some of us understand there are many kinds of Brexiteer. We have also moved on. At some point, Brexiteers will have to accept that there are people who do not disagree with them out of spite, out of a need to score points, out of partisanship or out of a hatred for the UK, but because they genuinely believe that Brexiteers are wrong and they want to mitigate the effects of leaving the EU as they believe that is in the UK's best interests.

I am delighted Trump has left Boris and co in the lurch because I believe that will lead to a better outcome for the UK.

Uusually (when not sunk in despondency) you are one of the saner Remainers. Indeed I seem to recall you leaning to Leave at one point pre-vote.

I was a Leaver who was very tempted to vote Remain, at various times, but in the end I decided the short term pain of Brexit (which will happen) is justified by the long term gain.

So we are quite close. Let us join hands and jump off the cliff, sharing the same parachute, for a nice soft landing. And ignore the shrieking voices of the dying Hard Brexiteers plummeting to earth, and the howls of Remoaners left on the precipice, being devoured by the EU*.

*I'll work on this metaphor, but you see what I mean

I think the monster EU will extend amobea like over the cliff to try and consume those cowering at the base. The brave hard Brexiteers will have avoided the rocks and made a graceful dive into the clear blue waters. They'll be swimming strongly into the open, welcoming waters. :grin::grin::grin:
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

scotslass said:

David

Except one.
    Actually they didn't lose that one either - it was blatantly stolen from them by the duplicitous "vow" or something...
    It was stolen by Dave hiding the secret oil fields and the whisky export duty revenues from Scotland.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    FF43 said:

the trade balance does matter and exports alone are not the way to improve it.

much of our trade deficit is structural becasue we let industries go in the noughties instead of looking after them

our deficit consists of lots of mid tech products made in high cost countries - cars, trucks, fridges, electrics.

on shore these and a large chunk of the BoP will disappear.

Leaving our main market won't result in industries being onshored. Actually the opposite to some extent. Companies with complex trading relationships will consolidate their investments in their main market, which now no longer includes the UK.

That's to misunderstand the UK problem

The EU will only wqrk for the UK if we adopt European labour legislation, which nobody in this country is advocatiing.

In the Blair period the trend was very simple.

Multinat wants to reduce labour costs or increase productivity
    Needs to transfer production and close a factory in the West - Germany France too difficult to do - so UK is the first port of call.

UK factory gets closed.

Multinat gets free access to UK market and has no down side.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Blue_rog said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Let us see. Some of us understand there are many kinds of Brexiteer. We have also moved on. At some point, Brexiteers will have to accept that there are people who do not disagree with them out of spite, out of a need to score points, out of partisanship or out of a hatred for the UK, but because they genuinely believe that Brexiteers are wrong and they want to mitigate the effects of leaving the EU as they believe that is in the UK's best interests.

I am delighted Trump has left Boris and co in the lurch because I believe that will lead to a better outcome for the UK.

Uusually (when not sunk in despondency) you are one of the saner Remainers. Indeed I seem to recall you leaning to Leave at one point pre-vote.

I was a Leaver who was very tempted to vote Remain, at various times, but in the end I decided the short term pain of Brexit (which will happen) is justified by the long term gain.

So we are quite close. Let us join hands and jump off the cliff, sharing the same parachute, for a nice soft landing. And ignore the shrieking voices of the dying Hard Brexiteers plummeting to earth, and the howls of Remoaners left on the precipice, being devoured by the EU*.

*I'll work on this metaphor, but you see what I mean

I think the monster EU will extend amobea like over the cliff to try and consume those cowering at the base. The brave hard Brexiteers will have avoided the rocks and made a graceful dive into the clear blue waters. They'll be swimming strongly into the open, welcoming waters. :grin::grin::grin:
    Then like lemmings, drown.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,617

DavidL said:

The EU has been rapidly declining as a share of our overall export markets over the past decade, a trend that was very likely to continue regardless of Brexit.

The salient point is that our trade imbalance with the EU had widened rapidly up to the point of Brexit, such that if the overall volume of trade falls post Brexit (as I expect it will) the opportunities for UK based companies to take up new opportunities in UK domestic markets should more than outweigh the impact of lost markets on the continent. The risks arising from the loss of trade fall on the EU side, since for them the reverse is true i.e. closing down a previously expanding market for EU exports, with fewer additional opportunities in EU domestic markets if British firms withdraw.

Or, to put it more succinctly, the UK trade deficit which at Brexit stood at record levels as a share of GDP, would all but disappear if trade with the EU were removed from the equation.

when I was born ( 1961 ) Europeans were about 20% of people on the planet by the time I die - say in the 2050s- they will be about 5%
    I'm guessing the UK's 'decline' will be of a similar ratio, though obviously a much smaller fraction of the world total. Of course losing 8% of your population in one swoop would be a bit of a jolt..
    8% - will that be a mass suicide of LibDems the day we actually leave the EU?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Sandpit said:

Patrick said:

Patrick said:

Sandpit said:

Patrick said:

Pulpstar said:

With Trump's changing stance on NATO it strikes me that we ought to quietly and gradually drop away from the 2% defence spend we do.

Lets be honest there are no real penalties, sanctions or consequences for not doing so. Say down to 1.5%, that would free up cash for other areas, decrease borrowing or allow for lower tax increases/reductions...

Hmmm....the world is a more dangerous place now than it's been for a while. Norks. Russkies. Jihadists. China. Falling oil price. 2008 Mk2 on its way. The Donald. Juncker.
    I'd humbly suggest it's folly on stilts to weaken ourselves deliberately even further. The armed services are critically understaffed.
    If we're going to not spend some money please can we not spend £10bn on DfiD - Lambos n Mercs for dictators and a spurious number pulled out of Dave's butt for PR purposes.
    Some good accounting would see certain projects appear in both DoD and DfID spending - sending a bunch of squaddies and logisticians to set up a tented village for the displaced in Syria, as an example.
    I had an idea once that may or may not be bollocks: Devote DfiD solely to rescue operations (tsunami, earthquake, hurricance, etc). Spend their budget on new amphibious logistical support / helicopter ships like HMS Ocean (with extended medical facilities), Chinooks, tents, blankets, advance logistical bases, medics, search and rescue teams, etc. Staff mostly with ex-servicemen. When shit happens the UK will be there quickly to help, free of charge. If anything really hit the fan we'd have an extra HMS Ocean and air wing to deploy. That'd be a MUCH better way to spend £10bn than 'Lambos for scumbags'.
    Lord - I see on Wiki that HMS Ocean is to be decommissioned in 2018 with no replacement. Double plus ungood. The Navy is going to end up being a bloke in a dinghy with a pistol.
    And two dozen admirals to command the dinghy!

More Admirals than ships.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,943

Animal_pb said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Quite.

Edit to add:

To be fair, the current Labour leadership don't help with that issue...

SO - I've never doubted your patriotism, but you surely can't deny that some of the current Labour cheerleaders far more about beating Tories than almost everything else? Patriotism seems to be been seen, like working class culture, as something consigned to Labour Party history....
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I think that the UK's population has grown much more rapidly that the European average, largely as a result of mass migration. Scotland has seen very little of that which in some ways is a pity.
    Since 1960:

UK 52 -> 66 million
    France 47 -> 67 million
    Spain 30 -> 46 million

I was thinking over more recent years where Germany, for example, seems to have a negative birth rate. But that is interesting. Thanks.
    It also ignores the demographic collapse hitting E Europe

Germany and Italy have populations forecast to drop in the next 30 years
  • Options

image .

FF43 said:

much of our trade deficit is structural becasue we let industries go in the noughties instead of looking after them

our deficit consists of lots of mid tech products made in high cost countries - cars, trucks, fridges, electrics.

Leaving our main market won't result in industries being onshored. Actually the opposite to some extent. Companies with complex trading relationships will consolidate their investments in their main market, which now no longer includes the UK.

Is that how you think a market works?
    Let's take the example of techy but not that techy products - washing machines. The huge majority are imported, with German brands like Miele, Grundig, Bosch, Siemens, etc doing a roaring trade. As do non-EU imports. We also have smaller UK manufacturers who have re-entered the market (such as Ebac).
    If we get a WTO 'no-deal' tariffed arrangement then the German machines are going to get pricier. With a further fall in Sterling, even pricier. EU imports will fall. Ebac and the like start to be alot more competitive internally (and externally). Their sales will rise. Maybe new players start UK operations (truly new or exosting brands approving investments). If money can be made making washing machines in the UK it will be. BoP improves.
    This puts pressure on all suppliers who want to make a profit selling washing machines in the UK. The £ price UK buyers will accept is going to be at a new equilibrium - same as the old one. Miele face lost sales or lost profit. The UK consumer will suffer only for those things we really can't make or procure from outside the EU. Samsung washing machine anyone? Haier? (These have zero impact on our BoP as we substitute non-EU product for EU, but Germany suffers a loss).
    The UK consumer faces zero price rise risk - they can and will shop around.
    The UK manufacturer faces a growth period.
    EU suppliers face loss of market or margin or both.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,416
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Largely agree with this. Unless it all blows up (quite possible) it's going to be a pretty soft Bendy Brexit, with a transitional deal. Even Free Movement will continue for a while, albeit with significant tweaks.

But, over time we will naturally pivot further from Brussels. Our mindset will slowly but surely change, until the idea of rejoining seems laughably absurd.

Only a few Ultra-Remainers or Hardcore Brexiteers will be dismayed enough to kick up a career-ending fuss.

A chap I know, who works for/with the core Eurosceptics, said that a comparison that has made the rounds and been agreed with was this - "Not to make De Valera's original mistake".....
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,112

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

scotslass said:

David

Except one.
    It was stolen by Dave hiding the secret oil fields and the whisky export duty revenues from Scotland.
    I'm actually a but more concerned about Dave's promise of a £200b oil and gas boom that we would share in if we voted No. Any sign of that coming down the line?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Is there a bad poll for Mélenchon coming out? He's drifting on Betfair.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,563
    edited April 2017

DavidL said:

8% - will that be a mass suicide of LibDems the day we actually leave the EU?
    8% has been population Growth in about the last 9-10 years. Devastating ... oh.

Far more than an 8% drop in whinging, mind.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    attn all unionists and David

By every electoral contest I refer to the ones between the parties ie The Scottish General Election of 2011, the local elections of 2012, the European one of 2014, the UK General Election of 2015 and the Scottish General Election of 2016.

In two of these five the SNP gained an absolute majority of seats in Scotland, in three a plurality of votes. In all five the Tories were a minority.

Oh and still no unionist reference to the 53 per cent SNP in this week's YouGov sub sample - that is a majority not just a plurality.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

scotslass said:

David

Except one.
    I'm actually a but more concerned about Dave's promise of a £200b oil and gas boom that we would share in if we voted No. Any sign of that coming down the line?
    It will happen once you have a government in Holyrood good with the economy and less obsessed with Indyref2.

You want that boom, you need to make Ruth Davidson First Minister. :lol:
  • Options
    There was a time before the referendum when the EU was a non issue for the vast majority of voters.

Once we leave the EU, perhaps it will become a non issue again.

But in the meantime the Lib Dems will have picked up a lot of support from Remainers, probably the sort of liberal minded people who are sympathetic to Lib Dem policies on non EU issues.

So the Lib Dem strategy to go for the Remain vote may be a good longer term move.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

If we get a WTO 'no-deal' tariffed arrangement then the German machines are going to get pricier. With a further fall in Sterling, even pricier. EU imports will fall. Ebac and the like start to be alot more competitive internally (and externally). Their sales will rise. Maybe new players start UK operations (truly new or exosting brands approving investments). If money can be made making washing machines in the UK it will be. BoP improves.

You are making the assumption that the homemade and German products are of equal quality and reliability. In the past that was not the case and was the reason a lot of people bought German or Japanese products - because ours were inferior and often more expensive.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

I'm finding it almost impossible to get timely new polls. What is it with all the retweets of stuff like

https://twitter.com/krunox123/status/852408108831965184

I just want the latest numbers !
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Patrick said:

image .

FF43 said:

Let's take the example of techy but not that techy products - washing machines. The huge majority are imported, with German brands like Miele, Grundig, Bosch, Siemens, etc doing a roaring trade. As do non-EU imports. We also have smaller UK manufacturers who have re-entered the market (such as Ebac).
    This puts pressure on all suppliers who want to make a profit selling washing machines in the UK. The £ price UK buyers will accept is going to be at a new equilibrium - same as the old one. Miele face lost sales or lost profit. The UK consumer will suffer only for those things we really can't make or procure from outside the EU. Samsung washing machine anyone? Haier? (These have zero impact on our BoP as we substitute non-EU product for EU, but Germany suffers a loss).
    Let's take an example of a large market that is somewhat cut off from the single market next door - Russia. Do affluent Russians buy German washing machines? Oh yes they do. Where do less affluent Russians source their washing machines? China by any chance?
  • Options
    edited April 2017

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

scotslass said:

David

Except one.
    It will happen once you have a government in Holyrood good with the economy and less obsessed with Indyref2.

The Cashmeister has spoken, it's not ours whatever happens.

https://twitter.com/ChristinaSNP/status/852461302899515392
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608

He had a puff piece from AEP in the Telegraph this morning. That's usually a sell indicator.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,236
    Pulpstar said:

I'm finding it almost impossible to get timely new polls. What is it with all the retweets of stuff like

https://twitter.com/krunox123/status/852408108831965184

I just want the latest numbers !
    Bloomberg have a composite poll chart:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-french-election/
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

scotslass said:

David

Well yes of course they will be the largest party. But they won't get a plurality. Will they gain more Councillors than the Tories? That was the question.
    There is plenty of scope for Ruth to recover from leading SCons to their worst ever council elections performance in 2012.
    Very true. 2012 was a shocker.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

You are missing my main point though, which is that we can only afford washing machines if we export stuff. That's why exports ultimately drive imports. The only reason for manufacturers basing their operations in the UK in that scenario is that for market reasons it helps exports. Leaving our main market has the opposite effect. We're not going to win the price play because washing manufacturers can base themselves in Romania (as they already do, in fact) where they get low costs AND full integration into the EU market.

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:
    Yeah I was about to link. I17% on a rolling poll suggests worse in the alter days.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

image .

FF43 said:

We might even get tumble dryers in our washing machines that actually work if we remove some of the bizarre energy restrictions imposed in recent years.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

scotslass said:

David

Except one.

I'm sure Sir Bill's position on Scottish oil is consistent with his views on the Brexit divorce bill.

Oh...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2017
    FF43 said:

Patrick said:

The only reason for manufacturers basing their operations in the UK in that scenario is that for market reasons it helps exports.
    No. They'll make them here if they can make a profit doing so. National issues around balance of payment are irrelvant at the individual player level (as long as there is a functioning FX market). We might see some factories making only for the UK market (unlikely but possible).
  • Options
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Since 1960:

UK 52 -> 66 million
    France 47 -> 67 million
    Spain 30 -> 46 million

No, you were right the first time.

In recent years the UK has experienced twice the average EU population growth rate. Latest figures show that it is the fastest growing large EU country, apart from Spain (whose own population boom has basically stopped, anyway)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_population_growth_rate
    Well if you make enough guesses the stopped clock comes to your rescue.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

Animal_pb said:

I think there will only be a resolution when Remainers accept there is no way back to the EU and Leavers accept they made a mistake. Not necessarily wrong on the principle, but wrong in their assumptions about Brexit, and in particular the one of taking back control. The EU will still be there as the only deal that counts in Europe; we will still need a relationship with it just as much as before, But it will be a much more deferential relationship where in practice we accept whatever the EU decides rather than being part of the decision-making. We're seeing that already with the Article 50 talks.

"Made a mistake"???

See, this is where you start talking bollocks. And hackles start to rise. Even with a polite, sane, well-mannered Soft Brexiteer like me.

I go back to my baby metaphor, as it seems to be the only one that might work with idiots like you. You're asking the haggard mother of a howling newborn, soiling his tenth nappy of the day, to now accept that she "made a mistake in having children".

At best she will look at you with total perplexity and bewilderment; at worst she will throw the nappies at you, covering you with ordure.

You just don't get it.
    Indeed I don't get your baby metaphor. Leavers rightly accuse many Remainers of not moving on from the referendum. My point is that many Leavers haven't either. If we want a resolution, reality will have to take over from rhetoric. The problem is that the reality is in direct contradiction with the rhetoric. It needs Leavers to let go.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Animal_pb said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Well, the great Left Wing party to which you belong is led by Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell, so, uh, you know. Case closed?
    I think in fairness Southam left Labour after the last embarrassment. But I certainly agree that there is a useful potential alliance between soft Brexiteers and former remainers. May captures that position very well, which is why the polling as it is.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

scotslass said:

David

Except one.

The Unionist forces in disarray !!
  • Options
    FF43 said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

Animal_pb said:

"Made a mistake"???

See, this is where you start talking bollocks. And hackles start to rise. Even with a polite, sane, well-mannered Soft Brexiteer like me.

I go back to my baby metaphor, as it seems to be the only one that might work with idiots like you. You're asking the haggard mother of a howling newborn, soiling his tenth nappy of the day, to now accept that she "made a mistake in having children".

At best she will look at you with total perplexity and bewilderment; at worst she will throw the nappies at you, covering you with ordure.

You just don't get it.
    Indeed I don't get your baby metaphor. Leavers rightly accuse many Remainers of not moving on from the referendum. My point is that many Leavers haven't either. If we want a resolution, reality will have to take over from rhetoric. The problem is that the reality is in direct contradiction with the rhetoric. It needs Leavers to let go.
    So, in essence, your position is:
    1.) our negotiating position is hopeless and we should give up without a fight; and
    2.) accept that we must now have a deferential relationship with the continental power.

Not very British, is it?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,416
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Patrick said:

image .

FF43 said:

:

We might even get tumble dryers in our washing machines that actually work if we remove some of the bizarre energy restrictions imposed in recent years.
    Is that why my combined washing machine/tumble dryer doesn't actually dry things? Really??

Serious question. I spent a lot of money on a (German) combo washer/dryer for my glam new kitchen, in the fond hope it meant I could dump my tumble dryer (which uglifies my bedroom). The damn combo dryer is utterly shite. Couldn't dry a slightly damp napkin in six hours.

Is this coz of the EU?! Or some weird law?
    Nope - it is close to impossible to fit the components for a full sized washing machine & and a full sized dryer into a standard 60cm unit. When you buy a combi washing machine dryer, you are buying a slightly crap washing machine, and a dryer with the power of a hair dryer.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Theuniondivvie

Well they can't send a gunboat - it is already occupied off Gibraltar
  • Options
    Patrick said:

FF43 said:

Patrick said:

The only reason for manufacturers basing their operations in the UK in that scenario is that for market reasons it helps exports.
    No. They'll make them here if they can make a profit doing so. National issues around balance of payment are irrelvant at the individual player level (as long as there is a functioning FX market). We might see some factories making only for the UK market (unlikely but possible).
    True up to a point. But investment is also competitive. If they can make more profits or do it more easily somewhere else, they will go somewhere else. We've lost washing machine manufacturing. It's not going to come back. But there are some industries that have become very vulnerable thanks to Brexit and the threat of being locked out of the European market. It isn't easy, but in general we're best hugging the EU as close as we can so barriers aren't made unnecessarily higher.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

scotslass said:

David

Except one.

A killer blow indeed... Is the Express billing the SNP for campaign expenses to print nonsense like this?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Pulpstar said:
    I think on the day some potential Melenchoners will be scared back to Macron. If Fillon was doing worse then maybe they would take a punt on Melenchon, but as Fillon seems pretty stable, it could be seen as too risky.

Overall, Macron v MLP still seems the end result. Both seem to have had fairly lackluster campaigns recently though.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

Animal_pb said:

"Made a mistake"???

You just don't get it.
    The fact you don't get the baby metaphor, means you are incapable of understanding what Brexit means, and why it happened. It also implies your analysis of it will always be myopic and flawed. But hey ho.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue Brexit YET AGAIN; my older daughter is here, appositely, and needs some Easter holiday entertainment.

Later.

Having a baby is an act of destruction; Brexit is an act of destruction. It's more akin to having a vasectomy and then realising you long to have a daughter to brighten the long Easter weekend.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Blue_rog said:

I think the monster EU will extend amobea like over the cliff to try and consume those cowering at the base. The brave hard Brexiteers will have avoided the rocks and made a graceful dive into the clear blue waters. They'll be swimming strongly into the open, welcoming waters.

Average survival times in UK waters is 30 to 90 minutes depending on the time of year and age. Older people (Brexiteers???) succumb much more quickly than younger people.

Just sayin' .......
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

Animal_pb said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Well, the great Left Wing party to which you belong is led by Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell, so, uh, you know. Case closed?
    I think in fairness Southam left Labour after the last embarrassment. But I certainly agree that there is a useful potential alliance between soft Brexiteers and former remainers. May captures that position very well, which is why the polling as it is.
    The question is how long May can ride that pony. There's a fork in the track up ahead.
  • Options

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

Animal_pb said:

"Made a mistake"???

You just don't get it.
    The fact you don't get the baby metaphor, means you are incapable of understanding what Brexit means, and why it happened. It also implies your analysis of it will always be myopic and flawed. But hey ho.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue Brexit YET AGAIN; my older daughter is here, appositely, and needs some Easter holiday entertainment.

Later.

Having a baby is an act of destruction; Brexit is an act of destruction. It's more akin to having a vasectomy and then realising you long to have a daughter to brighten the long Easter weekend.
    Your paragraph doesn't make entirely make sense.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2017
    FF43 said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

Animal_pb said:

"Made a mistake"???

You just don't get it.
    The problem is that the reality is in direct contradiction with the rhetoric.
    Over what timeframe? And with respect to both economics and democracy?
    It took 40 years to get our 'out' vote. I can be patient with at least a decade of adjustment pain. (even if I don't think there'll be much). You seem to think that because we may not be materially better off instantly then it's time to wail like a teenage girl on a rollercoaster.
    On the democracy question (always ignored by remainers) - we dodged a bullet. The EU is on an unwavering journey to becoming a superstate. A superstate we can't be part of. EU voters can't vote for a change of policy. They're serfs. Juncker's little minions.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

scotslass said:

David

Except one.

A killer blow indeed... Is the Express billing the SNP for campaign expenses to print nonsense like this?
    They've been doing marvellous work on our behalf entirely foc for years. We may even strike a special 'for services to' medal for them come the glorious day.
  • Options
    Saw a bit of the Sky paper review last night. Stig Abell[sp] was moaning incessantly about how powerless and feeble the UK is (implied strongly due to voting to leave the EU). Then he started banging on about people believing that Assad wasn't responsible for the chemical weapons attack, and that the UK Government is seen about as worthy of trust as the Russians.

I do wonder if a small (but vocal) group are practically drunk on eurogrief.

Which reminds me, I need to write a review of Josephus' The Jewish War.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002
    Sandpit said:

Not a bad idea, it would also need some air support though - a couple of C17s and Hercules for getting stuff anywhere in the world in a day or so.

You're going to need more than a day to get a C-130 anywhere in the world. Anywhere in Oxfordshire... maybe...

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

Animal_pb said:

"Made a mistake"???

You just don't get it.

Later.

Your paragraph doesn't make entirely make sense.
    Well the realisation of lost opportunities hasn't hit the Brexiteers yet.
  • Options

Patrick said:

You are making the assumption that the homemade and German products are of equal quality and reliability. In the past that was not the case and was the reason a lot of people bought German or Japanese products - because ours were inferior and often more expensive.
    do we live in the 1970s forever ?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Patrick said:

You are missing my main point though, which is that we can only afford washing machines if we export stuff. That's why exports ultimately drive imports. The only reason for manufacturers basing their operations in the UK in that scenario is that for market reasons it helps exports. Leaving our main market has the opposite effect. We're not going to win the price play because washing manufacturers can base themselves in Romania (as they already do, in fact) where they get low costs AND full integration into the EU market.

as a manufacturer I'd say that's total bollocks
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Borussia Dortmund bus attack suspect 'was Islamic State fighter'

The 26-year-old is believed to have led a commando unit involved in killings, kidnappings, smuggling and extortion in Iraq."

http://news.sky.com/story/borussia-dortmund-bus-attack-suspect-was-islamic-state-fighter-10835233
  • Options
    Patrick said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

Animal_pb said:

"Made a mistake"???

You just don't get it.
    The problem is that the reality is in direct contradiction with the rhetoric.
    It took 40 years to get our 'out' vote. I can be patient with at least a decade of adjustment pain. (even if I don't think there'll be much). You seem to think that because we may not be materially better off instantly then it's time to wail like teenage girl on a rollercoaster.
    On the democracy question (always ignored by remainers) - we dodged a bullet. The EU is on an unwavering journey to becoming a superstate. A superstate we can't be part of. EU voters can't vote for a change of policy. They're serfs. Juncker's little minions.
    Brexit is the most socialist, big-government policy we've enacted since the 70s. It's a mystery to me why people like you have been fooled by some vacuous rhetoric about sovereignty.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

1.) our negotiating position is hopeless and we should give up without a fight; and
    2.) accept that we must now have a deferential relationship with the continental power.

Not very British, is it?

My position is that in practice, we will decide it's more in our interest to do what the EU tells us than not to do so. That position does assume (a) the EU doesn't muck up and push us beyond where we are prepared to go and (b) we act rationally. Neither assumption is guaranteed. In that case, it will turn out badly for us. It's not a great situation to be in, but we are we are. I voted Remain, but have moved on, of course. Leave is the interesting option and we will see how it pans out. I have always been most interested in the outcome.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

Animal_pb said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

The question is how long May can ride that pony. There's a fork in the track up ahead.
    She's already headed down the soft-fork with Boris - David still at the fork point !
  • Options
    @williamglenn

Did you mean
    "Having a baby is an act of destruction; Brexit is an act of destruction. It's more akin to having a vasectomy and then realising you long to have a daughter to brighten the long Easter weekend."

Or

"Having a baby is not an act of destruction; Brexit is an act of destruction. It's more akin to having a vasectomy and then realising you long to have a daughter to brighten the long Easter weekend."
  • Options

FF43 said:

Patrick said:

Why?
  • Options
    I'm not entirely certain tarriffs will dampen the UK consumer's appetite for foreign stuff. The national mindset is to complain about how expensive stuff is, then pay over the odds anyway... we're price inelastic on alot of stuff tbh.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@williamglenn

Did you mean
    "Having a baby is an act of destruction; Brexit is an act of destruction. It's more akin to having a vasectomy and then realising you long to have a daughter to brighten the long Easter weekend."

Or

"Having a baby is not an act of destruction; Brexit is an act of destruction. It's more akin to having a vasectomy and then realising you long to have a daughter to brighten the long Easter weekend."

Oops, yes I meant the latter. Editing a sentence on a phone isn't worth the risk of messing it up! Having a baby is a constructive act.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Animal_pb said:

Not very British, is it?

I voted Remain, but have moved on, of course.

Are you trying to kid us, or yourself?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

scotslass said:

David

Except one.

They've been doing marvellous work on our behalf entirely foc for years. We may even strike a special 'for services to' medal for them come the glorious day.
    Another Unionist MSM olive branch - the dam is about to burst !

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/unionists-musn-t-harden-hearts-against-snp-bx7kqm386?CMP=Sprkr-_-Editorial-_-thetimesscot-_-News-_-Unspecified-_-Statement-_-Unspecified-_-ACCOUNT_TYPE&linkId=36391532
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Patrick said:

Why?
    Because a large amount of what we buy is for internal consumption. About 99% of what I make stays in the UK. I'm hardly alone in that scenario among SMEs.
  • Options

Patrick said:

I was not saying that we do - what I was saying is that the unspoken assumption in Patrick's argument was that he was comparing like with like. That may or may not be the case. As I said "... in the past ... " that was not the case.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

It took 40 years to get our 'out' vote. I can be patient with at least a decade of adjustment pain. (even if I don't think there'll be much). You seem to think that because we may not be materially better off instantly then it's time to wail like a teenage girl on a rollercoaster.

That's a point of view. I don't have an issue with it. Actually I am very sympathetic to the argument that those most directly affected by decisions should make them. Also the fact we were semi-detached members of the EU meant we were at a disadvantage.

The issue I do have is that most Leavers made assumptions about Brexit that were never realistic and will unwind and are in fact starting to do so. That's going to make for a very uncomfortable existence for us and not just for the short term. Ultimately we will decide if it's worth it once we also factor in the very substantial costs in terms of money and disruption. Not that it really matters, of course. We're not going back.

• Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Patrick said:

Why?
    Because a large amount of what we buy is for internal consumption. About 99% of what I make stays in the UK. I'm hardly alone in that scenario among SMEs.
    OK, but exports are funding the internal consumption, back to my point.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

RobD said:

image .

Poor @tyson :(
    What has happened to @tyson?
    I honestly don't know what has happened to @tyson

titters....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Patrick said:

<> .

FF43 said:

Is that why my combined washing machine/tumble dryer doesn't actually dry things? Really??

Serious question. I spent a lot of money on a (German) combo washer/dryer for my glam new kitchen, in the fond hope it meant I could dump my tumble dryer (which uglifies my bedroom). The damn combo dryer is utterly shite. Couldn't dry a slightly damp napkin in six hours.

Is this coz of the EU?! Or some weird law?
    I think this is the guilty party: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX:32009L0125
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711

Pulpstar said:
    I think on the day some potential Melenchoners will be scared back to Macron. If Fillon was doing worse then maybe they would take a punt on Melenchon, but as Fillon seems pretty stable, it could be seen as too risky.

Overall, Macron v MLP still seems the end result. Both seem to have had fairly lackluster campaigns recently though.
    Melenchon's one point fall seems to be as a result of a one point gain for Hamon, I find that unlikely, given that Hamon is now so far behind that he realistically has no chance. I would wait for another poll or two before ditching Melenchon bets.
  • Options
    F1: in unsurprising news, Button will race for McLaren at Monaco:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39589767

If he wins, Alonso might get so angry he turns into The Incredible Hulk.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    scotslass said:

By every electoral contest I refer to the ones between the parties ie The Scottish General Election of 2011, the local elections of 2012, the European one of 2014, the UK General Election of 2015 and the Scottish General Election of 2016.

In two of these five the SNP gained an absolute majority of seats in Scotland, in three a plurality of votes. In all five the Tories were a minority.

Oh and still no unionist reference to the 53 per cent SNP in this week's YouGov sub sample - that is a majority not just a plurality.

Awww, that's adorable. You actually believe we care. So sweet.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

FF43 said:

Animal_pb said:

Not very British, is it?

No. Since before the referendum, I have always been most interested in what leaving the EU would mean in terms of outcomes. I don't think Brexit is sensible, but it is a decision that people came to after considerable thought. I wouldn't try to overturn it, but do think we should try to make the best of it.
  • Options

Patrick said:

I was not saying that we do - what I was saying is that the unspoken assumption in Patrick's argument was that he was comparing like with like. That may or may not be the case. As I said "... in the past ... " that was not the case.
    I am comparing like with like. I have a Samsung washing machine. A top end one. I could have bought a Miele or a Siemens. I went Samsung (PC World doing a great deal in May). My choice made no impact to our national BoP but it did cost Miele or Siemens one unit of sales. At every level of quality and price we have EU options and non-EU options. The non-EU ones tend to cluster at the cheap and cheerful end - but not by any means exclusively so. We're about to find out how much Germany really values this market share.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Patrick said:

Why?
    no they arent

expanding credit is funding consumption

if we were export dependent our economy would be in free fall
  • Options

no they arent

You do know what will happen when your customers run out of credit, don't you?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    SeanT said:

Animal_pb said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Quite.

Edit to add:

I left after the Livingstone whitewash. A bridge too far, even for me.

• Options

no they arent

the ECB moves in and kills their economy ?
  • Options
    saddened said:

scotslass said:

'I'm going to show how much I don't care by replying to your post to tell you I don't care. That'll bloody show you!'
  • Options
    Ahem too late to edit - that 'story' (misread, sorry) just says he's 'set to race' for McLaren. It doesn't have any news. So, er, sorry. Fake news. Sad.
  • Options

FF43 said:

no they arent

if we were export dependent our economy would be in free fall
    In the short term, yes. But that's probably not going to continue, as RCS has covered many times here. At which point we will rely on those exports that we are discarding so casually.

• Options
    Patrick said:

Patrick said:

I am comparing like with like. I have a Samsung washing machine. A top end one. I could have bought a Miele or a Siemens. I went Samsung (PC World doing a great deal in May). My choice made no impact to our national BoP but it did cost Miele or Siemens one unit of sales. At every level of quality and price we have EU options and non-EU options. The non-EU ones tend to cluster at the cheap and cheerful end - but not by any means exclusively so. We're about to find out how much Germany really values this market share.
    Now you are moving the goalposts and comparing a two foreign products whereas your original post was talking about comparing a foreign product with a homegrown one and how that would benefit UK companies like Ebac.

"We also have smaller UK manufacturers who have re-entered the market (such as Ebac).
    If we get a WTO 'no-deal' tariffed arrangement then the German machines are going to get pricier. With a further fall in Sterling, even pricier. EU imports will fall. Ebac and the like start to be alot more competitive internally (and externally). Their sales will rise."
  • Options

Ahem too late to edit - that 'story' (misread, sorry) just says he's 'set to race' for McLaren. It doesn't have any news. So, er, sorry. Fake news. Sad.

*taps Mr D's mic*...*sniffs*... WRONG. :D
  • Options

no they arent

They start printing money Quantitative Easing?
  • Options
    Off topic - I've just watched a lamb being born!
  • Options

saddened said:

scotslass said:

'I'm going to show how much I don't care by replying to your post to tell you I don't care. That'll bloody show you!'
  • Options

How does it compare to Brexit? :p
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

scotslass said:

David

Except one.
    Oh that’s harsh, Mr Meeks. :lol:
    No, I find it very healthy. Let us all laugh at sore referendum losers.
    Doing it for referendums you didn't have a vote in is a bit odd.

Like a eunuch laughing at an un-libbed man not being able to get it up. The latter may be able to improve on that situation, the former, not so much.
    I was talking about a different referendum.
  • Options
    Proposal for Scotland to become a Province of Canada.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39570585

Did anyone ask Canada? :(
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Animal_pb said:

FF43 said:

Animal_pb said:

Not very British, is it?

No. Since before the referendum, I have always been most interested in what leaving the EU would mean in terms of outcomes. I don't think Brexit is sensible, but it is a decision that people came to after considerable thought. I wouldn't try to overturn it, but do think we should try to make the best of it.
    And you think making the best of it involves abject surrender? It's a view, I suppose.
  • Options

Proposal for Scotland to become a Province of Canada.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39570585

Did anyone ask Canada? :(

There must be something in the water over there. The CANZUK neo-imperialists like Hannan want to put the capital of their federation in Canada too.
  • Options
    RobD said:

How does it compare to Brexit? :p
    It probably feels threatened by the prospect of tariff-free New Zealand lamb!
This discussion has been closed.