Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This week’s PB/Polling Matters Podcast: The LD fight back and

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Animal_pb said:

So, in essence, your position is:
    1.) our negotiating position is hopeless and we should give up without a fight; and
    2.) accept that we must now have a deferential relationship with the continental power.

Not very British, is it?

The EU isn't merely the continental power though, is it? A significant part of the UK as originally constituted is quite happy in the EU, in the single currency, and has no intention of changing that. We are not Japan to the EU's China.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

OK, but exports are funding the internal consumption, back to my point.

no they arent

expanding credit is funding consumption

if we were export dependent our economy would be in free fall
    In the short term, yes. But that's probably not going to continue, as RCS has covered many times here. At which point we will rely on those exports that we are discarding so casually.

most of RCS comments on exports relate to how a balanced BOP is preferable, not that unending exports is the source of eternal joy.

you have to both export and supply your domestic market. Too much of the UK BOP problem is because we have allowed our production base to decay. It;s not even in hi tech sensitive areas but HP sauce ( NL ), Bendicks mints ( D )?

• Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

scotslass said:

David

I expect the SNP to win the election as they have won every democratic contest in Scotland since 2010.

Except one.
    Yeah, they lost the Inverclyde by-election in 2011, that's what you meant?
    Think there was a minor one in 2014 but the Nat Borg have wiped it from their memory vaults for at least a generation.
    In that case, a generation in Scotland is about 3 years. If they can breed that fast we are all in trouble :D
    Actually they didn't lose that one either - it was blatantly stolen from them by the duplicitous "vow" or something...
    It was stolen by Dave hiding the secret oil fields and the whisky export duty revenues from Scotland.
    I'm actually a but more concerned about Dave's promise of a £200b oil and gas boom that we would share in if we voted No. Any sign of that coming down the line?
    It will happen once you have a government in Holyrood good with the economy and less obsessed with Indyref2.

You want that boom, you need to make Ruth Davidson First Minister. :lol:
    The Cashmeister has spoken, it's not ours whatever happens.

https://twitter.com/ChristinaSNP/status/852461302899515392
    No. It belongs to Canada now.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    Inspiring stuff for us Europhiles (from a Euro-conservative):

https://www.facebook.com/EPPGroup/videos/10154532798547689/

I wish the Remain side had felt able to have a bit more of that sort of thing, and a bit less of the "Brexit will cost you N zillion quid". Sometimes I think we collectively are like the Bourbons, knoing the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

scotslass said:

David

I expect the SNP to win the election as they have won every democratic contest in Scotland since 2010.

Except one.
    Yeah, they lost the Inverclyde by-election in 2011, that's what you meant?
    Think there was a minor one in 2014 but the Nat Borg have wiped it from their memory vaults for at least a generation.
    In that case, a generation in Scotland is about 3 years. If they can breed that fast we are all in trouble :D
    Actually they didn't lose that one either - it was blatantly stolen from them by the duplicitous "vow" or something...
    It was stolen by Dave hiding the secret oil fields and the whisky export duty revenues from Scotland.
    I'm actually a but more concerned about Dave's promise of a £200b oil and gas boom that we would share in if we voted No. Any sign of that coming down the line?
    It will happen once you have a government in Holyrood good with the economy and less obsessed with Indyref2.

You want that boom, you need to make Ruth Davidson First Minister. :lol:
    The Cashmeister has spoken, it's not ours whatever happens.

https://twitter.com/ChristinaSNP/status/852461302899515392
    No. It belongs to Canada now.
    Another war brewing !!
  • Options
    Latest French poll has Melanchon faltering slightly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_French_presidential_election,_2017

It's possible that the recent focus on his potential has drawn attention to his programme, which even I as a born-again leftist feel is a tiny bit bonkers.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608

Animal_pb said:

1.) our negotiating position is hopeless and we should give up without a fight; and
    2.) accept that we must now have a deferential relationship with the continental power.

Not very British, is it?

The EU isn't merely the continental power though, is it? A significant part of the UK as originally constituted is quite happy in the EU, in the single currency, and has no intention of changing that. We are not Japan to the EU's China.
    A.) it is now; B.) your second observation is irrelevant (even if true, which is debatable) to the first; and C.) actually, we kind of are - it's an ok-ish parallel.

But I know you aren't going to agree, so let's not clog up the airwaves beating this to death.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

Animal_pb said:

Not very British, is it?

A.) it is now; B.) your second observation is irrelevant (even if true, which is debatable) to the first; and C.) actually, we kind of are - it's an ok-ish parallel.

But I know you aren't going to agree, so let's not clog up the airwaves beating this to death.
    A land border in Northern Ireland which the government has no clue what to do about says that it is highly relevant.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

RobD said:

image .

Poor @tyson :(
    What has happened to @tyson?
    Tyson went belt-fed wombat meltdown on here not so long ago when he revealed a spectacularly intense and all-consuming hatred of smileys.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    Animal_pb said:

And you think making the best of it involves abject surrender? It's a view, I suppose.

It raises awkward questions for both Remainers and Leavers. For Remainers because we will get something worse than what we had before and Leavers because we will get something that goes against what they voted for. That's the knot we have to untie.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Animal_pb said:

And you think making the best of it involves abject surrender? It's a view, I suppose.

It raises awkward questions for both Remainers and Leavers. For Remainers because we will get something worse than what we had before and Leavers because we will get something that goes against what they voted for. That's the knot we have to untie.
    What will be "worse than we had before"?
  • Options

Proposal for Scotland to become a Province of Canada.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39570585

Did anyone ask Canada? :(

Whither Scotland?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQOMxz-O7Sc&list=RDVQOMxz-O7Sc#t=0
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

FF43 said:

Animal_pb said:

A Ceuta style wall around Gibraltar?
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

The soft Brexit/hard Brexit dichotomy is eminently bridgeable. Once we are out we are out. Our share of trade with the EU will fall, as it has been for many years now. Over time we will drift away from the overly bureaucratic approach that the EU has to every problem.

It is a favourite theme of many on here that a soft Brexit now will leave Brexiteers high and dry and frothing. I just don't see it. They have won and time will deliver all that they wanted for good or ill. Those looking for great splits in the Tories are going to be disappointed. They are more united than they have been since Maastricht.

Largely agree with this. Unless it all blows up (quite possible) it's going to be a pretty soft Bendy Brexit, with a transitional deal. Even Free Movement will continue for a while, albeit with significant tweaks.

But, over time we will naturally pivot further from Brussels. Our mindset will slowly but surely change, until the idea of rejoining seems laughably absurd.

Only a few Ultra-Remainers or Hardcore Brexiteers will be dismayed enough to kick up a career-ending fuss.

A chap I know, who works for/with the core Eurosceptics, said that a comparison that has made the rounds and been agreed with was this - "Not to make De Valera's original mistake".....
    Can i ask what that " mistake" was?
  • Options

Now you are moving the goalposts and comparing a two foreign products whereas your original post was talking about comparing a foreign product with a homegrown one and how that would benefit UK companies like Ebac.

"We also have smaller UK manufacturers who have re-entered the market (such as Ebac).
    If we get a WTO 'no-deal' tariffed arrangement then the German machines are going to get pricier. With a further fall in Sterling, even pricier. EU imports will fall. Ebac and the like start to be alot more competitive internally (and externally). Their sales will rise."
    Actually I'm saying both.
    If we get no deal then EU imports to the UK will drop. No question. Volume and value.
    Also UK home grown production will rise. Probably mostly for domestic consumtion but not all. As long as it's profitable it will happen. Will affect different industries differently and at different speeds.
    Initially (and perhaps ever) the UK production will not be as large as the move to alternative sources of import (as in the case of my Samsung). Not our problem but the EU's.
    My key point remains - if a good is substitutable either domestically or by non-EU imports then the UK has nothing to lose. The EU does. That may not be true if there are classes of EU product that we can only get from them. Then we'll just have to absorb a tariff (if we choose to do so).
  • Options

GeoffM said:

FF43 said:

Animal_pb said:

A Ceuta style wall around Gibraltar?
    That'd be nice. Keep the dagos out.

Hopefully when Trump's wall builders are finished there will be some barbed wire left over.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

FF43 said:

Animal_pb said:

For Remainers, a loss of influence as well as restrictions on movement and trade are probably the main ones. To compensate, UK governments will probably agree to pretty much everything the EU asks of it, even if nominally they can now refuse, dependent on both sides being willing to deal. This isn't the reason why people voted Leave, in my estimation.
  • Options

Proposal for Scotland to become a Province of Canada.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39570585

Did anyone ask Canada? :(

Scotland now in play to be taken over?

How much will they pay?
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited April 2017
    Ouch!
    The Beeb said:

Lawyers for a passenger forcibly removed from a United Airlines flight have filed an emergency court request for the airline to preserve evidence.

David Dao was filmed being dragged off the overbooked flight at Chicago O'Hare airport, bloodied and screaming, in a video watched millions of times online.

United Airlines said it would refund the ticket costs of all passengers on Sunday's flight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39586391
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

The soft Brexit/hard Brexit dichotomy is eminently bridgeable. Once we are out we are out. Our share of trade with the EU will fall, as it has been for many years now. Over time we will drift away from the overly bureaucratic approach that the EU has to every problem.

It is a favourite theme of many on here that a soft Brexit now will leave Brexiteers high and dry and frothing. I just don't see it. They have won and time will deliver all that they wanted for good or ill. Those looking for great splits in the Tories are going to be disappointed. They are more united than they have been since Maastricht.

Largely agree with this. Unless it all blows up (quite possible) it's going to be a pretty soft Bendy Brexit, with a transitional deal. Even Free Movement will continue for a while, albeit with significant tweaks.

But, over time we will naturally pivot further from Brussels. Our mindset will slowly but surely change, until the idea of rejoining seems laughably absurd.

Only a few Ultra-Remainers or Hardcore Brexiteers will be dismayed enough to kick up a career-ending fuss.

A chap I know, who works for/with the core Eurosceptics, said that a comparison that has made the rounds and been agreed with was this - "Not to make De Valera's original mistake".....
    Presumably the fratricidal Irish Civil war, due to partition and the Irish Free State vs the 32 counties sovereignty supporters.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

RobD said:

image .

Poor @tyson :(
    What has happened to @tyson?
    Tyson went belt-fed wombat meltdown on here not so long ago when he revealed a spectacularly intense and all-consuming hatred of smileys.
    Wh :):) ps!
  • Options

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Was that his De Valera's trade war with the UK? David Davis was talking earlier about initiating one with the EU, but I think they have pulled back from that now.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Patrick said:

The UK consumer faces zero price rise risk - they can and will shop around.

If tariffs on washing machine imports are introduced...

Then UK consumers will have to pay higher prices for EU products.

If they choose to substitute to other brands- then they are losing out on buying their preferred product at a previously available price.
  • Options

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

De Valera's big mistake was not going in person to London in 1921 for the peace talks. He in placed himself on a par with the King as Head of State and therefore didn't attend.

Not sure if that's what Malmesbury is getting at though.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    FF43 said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Was that his De Valera's trade war with the UK? David Davis was talking earlier about initiating one with the EU, but I think they have pulled back from that now.
    Or possibly Ireland's inward looking isolationism, and neutrality during an existential war in Europe.

Ireland changed in so many ways for the better after DeValera's death, and joining the EU. It is far wealthier, less introspective, and no longer a place where the young leave and never return.

I get the similarity with Brexit.

• Options

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Or possibly Ireland's inward looking isolationism, and neutrality during an existential war in Europe.

Ireland changed in so many ways for the better after DeValera's death, and joining the EU. It is far wealthier, less introspective, and no longer a place where the young leave and never return.

I don't. What is it?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

I don't. What is it?
    Brexit Britain risks becoming DeValera's Ireland.
  • Options

FF43 said:

As a Scot, I see the similarities more between Ireland and Scotland. First of all, that Ireland was an economic basketcase for the first fifty years of its existence. Even if we would (almost certainly) avoid some really bad mistakes the Irish made, I am not keen, for example, on copying the Irish welfare policy: we will stop you dying in the street, but if you can work and don't have a job you emigrate. I also find Ireland to be a culturally insular place, which I don't really want Scotland to copy, even though they have had deserved success in recent years
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Patrick said:

Patrick said:

If we get a WTO 'no-deal' tariffed arrangement then the German machines are going to get pricier. With a further fall in Sterling, even pricier. EU imports will fall. Ebac and the like start to be alot more competitive internally (and externally). Their sales will rise. Maybe new players start UK operations (truly new or exosting brands approving investments). If money can be made making washing machines in the UK it will be. BoP improves.

You are making the assumption that the homemade and German products are of equal quality and reliability. In the past that was not the case and was the reason a lot of people bought German or Japanese products - because ours were inferior and often more expensive.
    do we live in the 1970s forever ?
    I was not saying that we do - what I was saying is that the unspoken assumption in Patrick's argument was that he was comparing like with like. That may or may not be the case. As I said "... in the past ... " that was not the case.
    I am comparing like with like. I have a Samsung washing machine. A top end one. I could have bought a Miele or a Siemens. I went Samsung (PC World doing a great deal in May). My choice made no impact to our national BoP but it did cost Miele or Siemens one unit of sales. At every level of quality and price we have EU options and non-EU options. The non-EU ones tend to cluster at the cheap and cheerful end - but not by any means exclusively so. We're about to find out how much Germany really values this market share.
    I think Samsung washing machines for the UK market are made in Poland so your choice had no affect on EU-UK BoP

Reshoring of manufacturing after Brexit is largely a myth. As the Jaguar CEO said, the UK market is too small to support domestic manufacturers of components and it was only being part of the single market that gave us that scale.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    edited April 2017
    Patrick said:

Now you are moving the goalposts and comparing a two foreign products whereas your original post was talking about comparing a foreign product with a homegrown one and how that would benefit UK companies like Ebac.

"We also have smaller UK manufacturers who have re-entered the market (such as Ebac).
    If we get a WTO 'no-deal' tariffed arrangement then the German machines are going to get pricier. With a further fall in Sterling, even pricier. EU imports will fall. Ebac and the like start to be alot more competitive internally (and externally). Their sales will rise."

Does anyone realistically believe that we are going to have tariffs on goods bought and sold between the EU and the UK? It's absurd. It's just as absurd as someone claiming their 85 yr old grandmother who is originally Spanish and has lived here for 40 years is going to get deported. Utter nonsense.

Where the real negotiations take place is around frictionless access to the single market and the maintaining of more sophisticated supply chains with the minimum of paperwork (if any).
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Ouch!

The Beeb said:

Lawyers for a passenger forcibly removed from a United Airlines flight have filed an emergency court request for the airline to preserve evidence.

David Dao was filmed being dragged off the overbooked flight at Chicago O'Hare airport, bloodied and screaming, in a video watched millions of times online.

United Airlines said it would refund the ticket costs of all passengers on Sunday's flight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39586391
    My Dad always wanted me to go into aviation law. At times like this I wish I'd listened to him!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

GeoffM said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

I don't. What is it?
    And yet the press is full of stories about people scrabbling around trying to get British Citizenship.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Patrick said:

If they choose to substitute to other brands- then they are losing out on buying their preferred product at a previously available price.
    Possibly.
    A £300 washing machine might attract a WTO tariff of a few %. So nominally now costing around £315. But the supplier may not wish to lose share. They will inevitably absorb some of the £15 from their profit margin. Sorry Miele. Let's say that leaves Mr UK Consumer being asked for £307 by Miele. The rather nice looking Samsung in the next aisle is being deliberately aggressively priced at £275 to win share. The consumer is getting a better choice of offers now.
    The big hairy point in the corner is that this is not earth shattering stuff. All producers and consumers will settle into a new free market equilibrium. Some new products will get a look in for the first time. We'll still traipse round Currys on a Sunday buying washing machines at essentially the same price as today. And we'll make a few more too. It's not the apocalypse some remainers paint.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Patrick said:

rkrkrk said:

Patrick said:

Possibly.
    A £300 washing machine might attract a WTO tariff of a few %. So nominally now costing around £315. But the supplier may not wish to lose share. They will inevitably absorb some of the £15 from their profit margin. Sorry Miele. Let's say that leaves Mr UK Consumer being asked for £307 by Miele. The rather nice looking Samsung in the next aisle is being deliberately aggressively priced at £275 to win share. The consumer is getting a better choice of offers now.
    The big hairy point in the corner is that this is not earth shattering stuff. All producers and consumers will settle into a new free market equilibrium. Some new products will get a look in for the first time. We'll still traipse round Currys on a Sunday buying washing machines at essentially the same price as today. And we'll make a few more too. It's not the apocalypse some remainers paint.
    Okay - good to see you backing down from zero price risk.

You're right that small price increases from tariffs won't be a huge deal.
    But it will be a net negative not positive for consumers.

Non tariff barriers will be more problematic but a deal can be found.
    Edit - it's unlikely to be one that doesn't involve loss of sovereignty in the eyes of Brexiteers.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Patrick said:

rkrkrk said:

Patrick said:

Possibly.

Non-zero price risk if you are still stubbornly determined to buy an EU sourced product!
    Zero price risk if you shop around. Probably some very good and aggressive deals being offered as the UK becomes a price war zone.
    Overall positive for consumers.
    Not a positive for consumers whose demand is for 'that Miele' rather than 'a really nice washing machine at a good price'.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    notme said:

Patrick said:

Does anyone realistically believe that we are going to have tariffs on goods bought and sold between the EU and the UK? It's absurd. It's just as absurd as someone claiming their 85 yr old grandmother who is originally Spanish and has lived here for 40 years is going to get deported. Utter nonsense.

Where the real negotiations take place is around frictionless access to the single market and the maintaining of more sophisticated supply chains with the minimum of paperwork (if any).
    " real negotiations take place is around frictionless access to the single market " - is that even a possibility?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Is it a coincidence that as soon as The Met police cut the number of "stop and search" for political correctness (led by TMay) gun and knife crime has surged in London? I have a feeling the two are linked,especially since it was consistently falling in recent years.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    notme said:

Patrick said:

You are extremely complacent. No tariff effectively means single market without the benefit of paperwork. That will not happen.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

The young have already started to emigrate.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

rkrkrk said:

Patrick said:

rkrkrk said:

Patrick said:

Possibly.

Non-zero price risk if you are still stubbornly determined to buy an EU sourced product!
    Zero price risk if you shop around. Probably some very good and aggressive deals being offered as the UK becomes a price war zone.
    Not a positive for consumers whose demand is for 'that Miele' rather than 'a really nice washing machine at a good price'.
    Yeah I'm sorry but i don't think you really understand the economics on this.
    Google effect of tariffs on consumers.

If EU companies' prices go up because of tariffs... That reduces price competition and means domestic/non EU companies can raise their prices.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

GeoffM said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

I don't. What is it?
    And yet the press is full of stories about people scrabbling around trying to get British Citizenship.
    and also full of people trying to get EU, particularly Irish citizenship like our own Bev C, Nd ironically Mr Farage if reports are correct!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625
    nunu said:

Is it a coincidence that as soon as The Met police cut the number of "stop and search" for political correctness (led by TMay) gun and knife crime has surged in London? I have a feeling the two are linked,especially since it was consistently falling in recent years.

'stop and search for political correctness'

"Excuse me sir, do you know what the Q stands for in LGBTIQ+? If not, you're nicked!"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2017
    rkrkrk said:

Patrick said:

rkrkrk said:

Patrick said:

rkrkrk said:

Patrick said:

Possibly.

...means domestic/non EU companies can raise their prices.
    They can. The ones who don't then clean up the market share. Market equilibrium returns. A higher price generally only results from a higher supply cost generally. If only some of the supply options get higher cost it moves the share around between suppliers.
    The phenomenon you describe would co-exist with price gouging by other suppliers.
    You also omitted the Google bit saying 'more domestic companies are willing to produce the good'. That's not a tiny detail either.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

nunu said:

"Excuse me sir, do you know what the Q stands for in LGBTIQ+? If not, you're nicked!"

Please sir, is it Quisling?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Can someone direct me to UK owned or made washing machines ?

I can find US, German, Japanese, Korean, Italian, Turkish...
  • Options

GeoffM said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

I don't. What is it?
    Do we lose the snakes and gain leprechauns?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    Pulpstar said:

Are Creda and Hotpoint no longer British?
  • Options

nunu said:

Please sir, is it Quisling?

It's QWERTY - a shorthand way of adding the whole of the keyboard to the acronym.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Pulpstar said:

https://www.ebac.com/washing-machines
  • Options
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

As a Scot, I see the similarities more between Ireland and Scotland. First of all, that Ireland was an economic basketcase for the first fifty years of its existence. Even if we would (almost certainly) avoid some really bad mistakes the Irish made, I am not keen, for example, on copying the Irish welfare policy: we will stop you dying in the street, but if you can work and don't have a job you emigrate. I also find Ireland to be a culturally insular place, which I don't really want Scotland to copy, even though they have had deserved success in recent years
    Ireland was way way behind where Scotland are when it went on its own, hardly comparable.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited April 2017
    Pulpstar said:

You could ask Keith Vaz MP? ;)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

http://emn.ie/emn/statistics

Emigration from Ireland - see link is consistently higher over the past few years than before 2010.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Are Creda and Hotpoint no longer British?
    Bought by Whirlpool in 2014 which is based in Michigan.

Although ownership got messy long before that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotpoint
  • Options
    A Guardian link?

{Fake News Shield mode=up}

I bet there's more to it than that URL suggests!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

Serious question. I spent a lot of money on a (German) combo washer/dryer for my glam new kitchen, in the fond hope it meant I could dump my tumble dryer (which uglifies my bedroom). The damn combo dryer is utterly shite. Couldn't dry a slightly damp napkin in six hours.

Is this coz of the EU?! Or some weird law?

Is it a "condensing" dryer, and have you emptied the tank...?
  • Options
    felix said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

http://emn.ie/emn/statistics

Emigration from Ireland - see link is consistently higher over the past few years than before 2010.
    Yes, for the first time since the plantation in the nineties and noughties Ireland switched to net inward migration. The GFC reversed that for a few years, but just about back to inward flow.

Immigrants tend to go where the work is, the quickest way of stopping migration is crashing the economy and a steep rise in unemployment, for example early eighties UK. It demonstrates how incompatible the Brexit aims of prosperity and immigration control are.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

rkrkrk said:

Patrick said:

rkrkrk said:

Patrick said:

rkrkrk said:

Patrick said:

Possibly.

They can. The ones who don't then clean up the market share. Market equilibrium returns. A higher price generally only results from a higher supply cost generally. If only some of the supply options get higher cost it moves the share around between suppliers.
    The phenomenon you describe would co-exist with price gouging by other suppliers.
    You also omitted the Google bit saying 'more domestic companies are willing to produce the good'. That's not a tiny detail either.
    Of course domestic producers benefit - you've reduced their competition!
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    It's utterly disgraceful. I have two friends who married in England over 50 years ago. She kept German citizenship. At the time, I don't think you could have both.

She's never applied for formal residency. It wasn't needed in the 1960s and she wrongly assumed marriage was enough. She now fears that she could be deported, especially if she outlives her husband.

How many million UK residents aren't actually 'residents'?
  • Options
    World Economic Forum: Brexit will weaken Britain and strengthen the EU.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/04/brexit-european-union-negotiations/
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

I wish the Remain side had felt able to have a bit more of that sort of thing, and a bit less of the "Brexit will cost you N zillion quid". Sometimes I think we collectively are like the Bourbons, knoing the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Of course, the reason that the federalists never tried to sell the Project is that they knew that would lead to heavy defeat.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

A Guardian link?

{Fake News Shield mode=up}

I bet there's more to it than that URL suggests!
    I'm not sure about that, being born here hasn't conferred automatic rights since the 80s.
  • Options
    I note Melenchon's now in to 11.5/12 on Betfair. Seriously tempting me to take some profit...
  • Options
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Serious question. I spent a lot of money on a (German) combo washer/dryer for my glam new kitchen, in the fond hope it meant I could dump my tumble dryer (which uglifies my bedroom). The damn combo dryer is utterly shite. Couldn't dry a slightly damp napkin in six hours.

Is this coz of the EU?! Or some weird law?

Is it a "condensing" dryer, and have you emptied the tank...?
    Condensing dryers usually only fill the tank if they are not plumbed in. I would expect a washer /dryer to send the water straight down the drain...
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Of course, the reason that the federalists never tried to sell the Project is that they knew that would lead to heavy defeat.
    It led to a heavy defeat for the Eurosceptics in 1975. The same would happen again if we had less feeble pro-European politicians.
  • Options
    calum said:
    Why do you want mothers who have conceived as a result of rape to be denied child benefit?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    AndyJS said:

"Borussia Dortmund bus attack suspect 'was Islamic State fighter'

The 26-year-old is believed to have led a commando unit involved in killings, kidnappings, smuggling and extortion in Iraq."

http://news.sky.com/story/borussia-dortmund-bus-attack-suspect-was-islamic-state-fighter-10835233

Dortmund are unhappy that the match was rearranged for the following day. I must say it seemed a bit quick for players who had just survived a terrorist attack to refocus on football

https://twitter.com/sporf/status/852263763046797313
  • Options

It's utterly disgraceful. I have two friends who married in England over 50 years ago. She kept German citizenship. At the time, I don't think you could have both.

She's never applied for formal residency. It wasn't needed in the 1960s and she wrongly assumed marriage was enough. She now fears that she could be deported, especially if she outlives her husband.

How many million UK residents aren't actually 'residents'?
    Actually, they need to be worrying more about this

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/12/uk-retirees-less-willing-to-move-abroad-after-brexit-vote-poll-finds

I would be surprised if Reciprocal Healthcare arrangements survived Brexit and these are the sort of people who use up lots of NHS resource, meanwhile the EU workers in the NHS are leaving at twice the pre-Brexit rate.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

From the same people who predicted a recession after a Leave vote.
    Nobody likes to be told the baby's ugly, but this is one ugly baby...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Ireland was way way behind where Scotland are when it went on its own, hardly comparable.
    True in terms of degree, but not of effect. The route to success that Ireland took in the nineties isn't open to us, when it caught the first wave of globalisation and got US companies to set up European operations there. In thirty or fifty years time something equivalent may come up for us that we can't predict at the outset. It's an uncertain prospectus for a new country however and things will be pretty austere in the meantime.
  • Options

I think this is an accurate forecast. It is why I am making changes now before the excrement hits the fan.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Patrick said:

rkrkrk said:

Patrick said:

rkrkrk said:

Patrick said:

rkrkrk said:

Patrick said:

Possibly.

Of course domestic producers benefit - you've reduced their competition!
    Huzzah for Brexit!
  • Options

I note Melenchon's now in to 11.5/12 on Betfair. Seriously tempting me to take some profit...

Thanks... That's good enough for me to take a bit of profit.
  • Options

calum said:
    Why do you want mothers who have conceived as a result of rape to be denied child benefit?
    That's ever so slightly disingenuous. The point is, why should you have to prove you were raped before your child can get welfare?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Here's a tweet from the main guy at the office that wrote that report

@davidealgebris Mar 25
    More
    For all our Grandparents who gave their life to build a Peacefull and open Europe, European United we stand
    Happy Birthday Europe
    #EU60

They're just mad Federalists, like you. Europe is their Catholic faith, Brexit is Reformation and Protestantism. Conceptually, it cannot succeed. It is heretical.
    ...and he can't spell...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    >
    AndyJS said:

The 26-year-old is believed to have led a commando unit involved in killings, kidnappings, smuggling and extortion in Iraq."

http://news.sky.com/story/borussia-dortmund-bus-attack-suspect-was-islamic-state-fighter-10835233

No no no they have it all wrong, the bbc told me it was a right wing extremist false flag attack...

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249
    FF43 said:

calum said:
    That's ever so slightly disingenuous. The point is, why should you have to prove you were raped before your child can get welfare?
    Because the new welfare system allows benefits for two children and no more. So if any more are born, unless it can be proved it was due to circumstances outside the mother's control, they do not get benefits.

Incidentally without wishing to sound all Malthusian wouldn't three be a more logical number than two? It would allow for the replacement rate being more than 2.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    SeanT said:

@davidealgebris Mar 25
    More
    For all our Grandparents who gave their life to build a Peacefull and open Europe, European United we stand
    Happy Birthday Europe
    #EU60

They're just mad Federalists, like you. Europe is their Catholic faith, Brexit is Reformation and Protestantism. Conceptually, it cannot succeed. It is heretical.
    It's hardly the most objective report.

I was especially intrigued by the assertion that France is rejecting populist politics.

Currently, GDP per capita is about $40,000 per annum in the UK. The economic argument about Brexit turns on whether it will be $46,000 or $48,000 in 2030.
  • Options

Yes, I suggested that yesterday and took my own advice for half the profits. I like the *idea* of a left-wing candidate surging up on the rails in the final furlong. But I don't actually think Melanchon's programme makes sense, and I doubt if more trhan 20% of voters will vote for it on the first ballot.

But the fact that he's eclipsed the mainstream (also quite left-wing) socialist Harmon illustrates again the problems that moderate social democracy is having all over Europe. Potential supporters want red meat, or they want Blair-style charisma. Quiet competence and carefully-considered detailed programmes, meh. A potential problem on the right too.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    Elabe poll, just out. Changes from last Elabe poll 2-3 days ago.

Macron 23.5 (up 0.5)
    Le Pen 22.5(down 0.5)
    Fillon 20 (up 1)
    Melenchon 18.5 (up 1.5)

http://elabe.fr/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/13042017_les_echos_radio_classique_intentions-de-vote-presidentielles.pdf
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997

calum said:
    It’s the ‘having to prove it was rape’ that’s the problem.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

calum said:
    They don't have to prove it was rape.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    BTW, in our electronic age, wouldn't it be good if the betting sites used cookies to steer us to the pages where we've shown interest or placed bets? Whenever I look in on Betfair, where I only place political bets, it takes me to footie and asks me what I'll bet on Wigan vs Barnsley.
  • Options

BTW, in our electronic age, wouldn't it be good if the betting sites used cookies to steer us to the pages where we've shown interest or placed bets? Whenever I look in on Betfair, where I only place political bets, it tgakes me to footie and asks me what I'll bet on Wigsan vs Barnsley.

I find this too. I've never bet on 95%+ of the things betfair offers yet their website remains stubbornly uncustomsed and often hard to find the market i want.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

@davidealgebris Mar 25
    More
    Happy Birthday Europe
    #EU60

Ive just read that "report"

I seriously hope no-one was charged for it, it totally lacked balance, objectivity and tangible data let alone data analysis.

The trouble is some people will base important financial decisions on this guff in the genuine believe that it has intellectual merit.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

calum said:
    That's ever so slightly disingenuous.
    No it isn't. The "rape clause" is that mothers who have conceived as a result of rape are exempt from the two child limit.
  • Options

BTW, in our electronic age, wouldn't it be good if the betting sites used cookies to steer us to the pages where we've shown interest or placed bets? Whenever I look in on Betfair, where I only place political bets, it takes me to footie and asks me what I'll bet on Wigan vs Barnsley.

Betfair's mobile site is shockingly unusable, almost impossible to get off their sportsbook and review your position on the exchange.

I assume most mobile bettors will want to look at the political exchange rather than take a football accumulator :) ?
  • Options

>

AndyJS said:

No no no they have it all wrong, the bbc told me it was a right wing extremist false flag attack...

Source?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Totally off topic but I’ve just an email from our local Neighbourhood Watch with an attachment from the Police, warning me to be aware of the danger of fake clairvoyants.

Does anyone know a real one?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. G, cheers for that polling.

King Cole, fake clairvoyants always see a mug coming.
  • Options
    German SPD official: UK should have a second referendum on Brexit

http://www.politico.eu/article/german-spd-boss-let-uk-have-a-second-brexit-referendum/

“The intention of the May government is to say ‘either we get a very good deal, or it’s the fault of the European Union because they want to punish us,’” Barley said, “Which, first of all, isn’t true. The EU and the member states were always completely clear about what a Brexit would mean. The only ones who weren’t clear about it were [May’s] Tories.”
  • Options

I see we've drawn the match in diplomacy :)

Quite pleased with that, seeing as I never got beyond the balkans !
  • Options

Totally off topic but I’ve just an email from our local Neighbourhood Watch with an attachment from the Police, warning me to be aware of the danger of fake clairvoyants.

Does anyone know a real one?

Certainly not this one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-37375709
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115

calum said:
    They don't have to prove it was rape.
    'Support for a child conceived without your consent, including rape or while you were in a controlling of coercive relationship form'

http://tinyurl.com/k9496fg

You'd better let the DWP know they've buggered up their form.
  • Options

Like!!!
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711

You're welcome Mr D.

That is the lowest Le Pen has polled since goodness knows when. She has been steadily slipping over the past 2-3 weeks. There has to be a real chance that either Fillon or Melenchon get the extra few per cent needed to kick her out first round.

This discussion has been closed.