Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the local by-elections since last May the parties supported

124»

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    AndyJS said:

houndtang said:

Watching Election 92 - it seems like a lifetime ago - which it is! I was 16. Amazing though how many bods are still around - Dimbleby, Galloway, Kate Hoey, Eric Pickles, Jane Corbin.

Labour with 49 seats in Scotland and the SNP with 3 raised a chuckle. Peter Kellner predicted the EU would enforce Proportional Representation on the UK early in the 21st century whether the Conservatives wanted it or not.

It seems like five minutes ago to me.
    I'm only a few years older than houndtang. In 1992 I was up for my 2nd shot at Borough Council - although only as a paper candidate. I came closer to winning than I was comfortable with.

I drank a *lot* of whisky that night.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Floater said:
    Wonderful update on some news sites

""It seems like this device only has potential for causing limited damage ... we're now awaiting further necessary investigations," the police later said."

well, that's ok then :-)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    GeoffM said:

AndyJS said:

houndtang said:

Watching Election 92 - it seems like a lifetime ago - which it is! I was 16. Amazing though how many bods are still around - Dimbleby, Galloway, Kate Hoey, Eric Pickles, Jane Corbin.

Labour with 49 seats in Scotland and the SNP with 3 raised a chuckle. Peter Kellner predicted the EU would enforce Proportional Representation on the UK early in the 21st century whether the Conservatives wanted it or not.

I'm only a few years older than houndtang. In 1992 I was up for my 2nd shot at Borough Council - although only as a paper candidate. I came closer to winning than I was comfortable with.

Hikacking your reply... forcing PR on the British? Never!!
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:
    Wonderful update on some news sites

""It seems like this device only has potential for causing limited damage ... we're now awaiting further necessary investigations," the police later said."

well, that's ok then :-)
    Yeah. Limited death is always a popular result for those standing a little bit further back.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,806
    houndtang said:

viewcode said:

houndtang said:

viewcode said:

houndtang said:

"Dredd"'s on Channel 4
    I'm watching The Shout on Talking Pictures now :)
    What, this one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shout
    yeah it's pretty bizarre stuff
    A late-70's British horror movie! Excellent! Has it had the close-up of a television with a ITN reporter yet? I think they were compulsory in the period (see The Omen, The Medusa Touch, American Werewolf in London...)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    GeoffM said:

AndyJS said:

houndtang said:

From what I've read a lot of people were genuinely expecting Kinnock to be in Downing Street at the end of the night, especially after the poll tax riots, etc.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,315
    viewcode said:

houndtang said:

viewcode said:

houndtang said:

"Dredd"'s on Channel 4
    I'm watching The Shout on Talking Pictures now :)
    What, this one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shout
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hit_(1984 film)
    on London Live (Freeview 8 in the London area).
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

GeoffM said:

AndyJS said:

houndtang said:

From what I've read a lot of people were genuinely expecting Kinnock to be in Downing Street at the end of the night, especially after the poll tax riots, etc.
    The polls were wrong. It was like 2015. It was after 1992 that they introduced weighting by past vote. It worked for a time.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    The European Parliament’s chief Brexit negotiator Guy Verhofstadt is calling on Theresa May to be “open” to a plan helping British people who want to retain EU citizenship after the UK leaves.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-guy-verhofstadt-associate-citizenship-theresa-may-european-parliament-a7674391.html
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

houndtang said:

I disagree - to me it seems like yesterday! Even the 1964 election feels like just a few years ago in many ways.
    Judging by your posts I think even the 1874 election was something you remember well
    Not quite. I was 10 in 1964 a few months away from sitting the 11plus.
    To be serious,though, I don't think of Harold Wilson and Ted Heath as particularly distant figures at all - but when I sit down and work it out I am forced to accept that circa 60% of people now living in the UK will have no memory of them being in office.Indeed circa 40% will have no memory of Thatcher as PM.
    Thatcher was my first PM certainly
    I recall the last two years of Macmillan and Gaitskell's death.
    Certainly more than most can say now
    My first memory of watching TV was Churchill's funeral.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

The European Parliament’s chief Brexit negotiator Guy Verhofstadt is calling on Theresa May to be “open” to a plan helping British people who want to retain EU citizenship after the UK leaves.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-guy-verhofstadt-associate-citizenship-theresa-may-european-parliament-a7674391.html

Let me get this right, is Verhofstadt trying to get us to ask them for something that we couldn't give a flying fuck about?
  • Options
    Quiz question: why is 10,014 an important number as far as the 1992 election was concerned?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Quiz question: why is 10,014 an important number as far as the 1992 election was concerned?

The number of votes that a certain Smithson, M received?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

AndyJS said:

Correct.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

GeoffM said:

AndyJS said:

Correct.
    *smug grin*
  • Options

Can't see the UK government agreeing to that
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,315
    GeoffM said:

AndyJS said:

LibDems - losing here!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    RobD said:

How about for people from Northern Ireland? It becomes harder to say no...

This will not be an easy negotiation for the government.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

GeoffM said:

AndyJS said:

houndtang said:

The polls were wrong. It was like 2015. It was after 1992 that they introduced weighting by past vote. It worked for a time.
    1992 was worse than 2015, in 1992 most of the final polls had Labour ahead which was not the case in 2015
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited April 2017
    GeoffM said:

justin124 said:

houndtang said:

I disagree - to me it seems like yesterday! Even the 1964 election feels like just a few years ago in many ways.
    That's really quite amazing.

How are you so venerable in years and yet still possess the intellectual capacity, reasoning ability and posting style of a thirteen year old?

It's truly remarkable.
    I suppose it is almost as remarkable as your own vulgarity and sense of self importance.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Though 42% put controlling immigration as a priority compared to 34% for single market access
  • Options
    justin124 said:

GeoffM said:

justin124 said:

houndtang said:

That's really quite amazing.

How are you so venerable in years and yet still possess the intellectual capacity, reasoning ability and posting style of a thirteen year old?

It's truly remarkable.
    I suppose it is almost as remarkable as your own vulgarity and sense of self importance.
    Agree with that.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

GeoffM said:

AndyJS said:

houndtang said:

1992 was worse than 2015, in 1992 most of the final polls had Labour ahead which was not the case in 2015
    I'm not sure that's true (about the polls in 2015) but you raise an interesting point: how do you judge the accuracy of polls? You use the "did the poll predict the winner" metric, which is common for a member of the public. Political scientists use other metrics such as the mean absolute error or the root-mean-square error to measure the goodness of a poll. This discrepancy is rarely mentioned, but has implications

• Options

RobD said:

How about for people from Northern Ireland? It becomes harder to say no...

This will not be an easy negotiation for the government.
    Couldn't people from NI live/work in Ireland before the EU (and vice versa)? Can't see that changing.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Though 42% put controlling immigration as a priority compared to 34% for single market access
    Hard Brexit nailed on then.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    For now although even then there is still likely to be a transition period and a few bilateral agreements with the EU
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

GeoffM said:

AndyJS said:

houndtang said:

I'm not sure that's true (about the polls in 2015) but you raise an interesting point: how do you judge the accuracy of polls? You use the "did the poll predict the winner" metric, which is common for a member of the public. Political scientists use other metrics such as the mean absolute error or the root-mean-square error to measure the goodness of a poll. This discrepancy is rarely mentioned, but has implications

One of the worst ever performances by the pollsters was in 2001. Most of them had Labour ahead by 15 to 20 points during the campaign but in the end the margin was just 9 points. But because their majority only slipped from 179 to 167 no-one noticed. The collapse in turnout in safe Labour seats probably wasn't expected to the extent it occurred.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    For now although even then there is still likely to be a transition period and a few bilateral agreements with the EU
    "Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things." "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before Brexit."
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

GeoffM said:

AndyJS said:

houndtang said:

More final 2015 polls had the Tories ahead than Labour it was just they all pointed to a hung parliament, you are right on how political scientists measure the accuracy of polls
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    "Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things." "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before Brexit."
    If you've done six impossible things this morning, why not round it off with breakfast at Milliways, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe?

:D
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

GeoffM said:

AndyJS said:

houndtang said:

One of the worst ever performances by the pollsters was in 2001. Most of them had Labour ahead by 15 to 20 points during the campaign but in the end the margin was just 9 points. But because their majority only slipped from 179 to 167 no-one noticed. The collapse in turnout in safe Labour seats probably wasn't expected to the extent it occurred.
    Linky?
  • Options
    edited April 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    All the news last week has been about the transition deal and Germany etc do not want tariffs on all their exports to the UK across the board if they can avoid it at all which is why bilateral agreements with the EU are likely in key sectors even if the rest goes to WTO terms
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    @viewcode,just watched the better version of dredd ;-)much better than stallone's.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

GeoffM said:

AndyJS said:

houndtang said:

More final 2015 polls had the Tories ahead than Labour it was just they all pointed to a hung parliament, you are right on how political scientists measure the accuracy of polls
    Tell me about it. AndyJS brought up the wild inaccuracies of the 2001 UK GE, but I remember the 2014 Scotland referendum: the polling errors were ginormous, but because the winner was accurately predicted, nobody complained... :(
  • Options

@viewcode,just watched the better version of dredd ;-)much better than stallone's.

It is a cracking film, true to the dystopian vision of 2000AD.

Stallone deserves life in the iso cubes for his version. Or exile to the Cursed Earth pursued by the Angel gang.
  • Options

I actually really like the Stallone film (except for Rob Fucking Schneider), but the Urban version is a different league of better: if the Raid 2 hadn't come out before it (the films have similar plots), it may have got better box office. Its reputation just keeps growing but the awkward truth is that the property never took off in the States and it didn't gross enough (see also Tron Legacy). Hopefully the mooted Netflix sequel will come off, but... :(
  • Options
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

GeoffM said:

AndyJS said:

houndtang said:

Linky?
    To the polls? They're available in various places. I was just watching some old Channel 4 footage from the 2001 campaign. They were showing an opinion poll which had Labour on 49% and the Tories on 30%.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,955
    viewcode said:

I actually really like the Stallone film (except for Rob Fucking Schneider), but the Urban version is a different league of better: if the Raid 2 hadn't come out before it (the films have similar plots), it may have got better box office. Its reputation just keeps growing but the awkward truth is that the property never took off in the States and it didn't gross enough (see also Tron Legacy). Hopefully the mooted Netflix sequel will come off, but... :(
    A few weeks ago the Guardian were asking for people to contact them with their stories about 2000AD in its 40th Anniversary. I didn't bother in the end but for the record I started collecting the comic at Issue 1 at the age of 12 and have every issue ever published to date. The comic really has been the background noise to my whole life and I find the stories as refreshing and innovative today as I did 40 years ago.

I do find it quite remarkable the effect this weekly science fiction comic has had on popular modern culture and the famous names who started there before moving on to bigger (if not better) things.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    AndyJS said:

Was it the number of votes received by the Liberal Democrat candidate in Bedfordshire North?
  • Options

...A few weeks ago the Guardian were...

The Guardian?

Pause.

OK, where is the real Richard Tyndall and what have you done with him?... :)

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,698
    AndyJS said:

GeoffM said:

AndyJS said:

houndtang said:

I had pink champagne on ice in anticipation of our brave new Socialist dawn! Had more fun drinking it than I anticipated!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,698
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    All the news last week has been about the transition deal and Germany etc do not want tariffs on all their exports to the UK across the board if they can avoid it at all which is why bilateral agreements with the EU are likely in key sectors even if the rest goes to WTO terms
    Sounds like "cherry picking" to me.....
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

BigRich said:

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Better standards of living for the lower paid will be most speedily achieved through reducing supply of those willing to work at low wages.

Beneath a veneer of conservatism your rhetoric is that of a Trotskyite. In other circumstances you'd be mouthing off about 'scabs' undermining the proletariat by 'willing to work at low wages'.
    This must be a record - called a Neo-Fascist and a Trot in the same fortnight! Both incorrect labels by loud Remainers, Surprise surprise!
    Brexit has created some strange alliances. Traditionalist conservatives and socialists on one side; liberal leftists, ultra economic liberals, the SNP and Sinn Fein on the other.
    Not all 'Ultra Economic Liberals' are pro EU remainders!

I don't clam or wish to speak on behalf of anybody but myself, so if you now ultra Economic Liberals who are Pro EU then that's nice for them.

But at least one, me, supported Brexit. in an ideal would we could now adopted unilateral elimination of all trade tariffs and barriers, and adopt agricularal policy of New Zealand and an economic policy slimier to Singapore.

I am not naive enough to think that is going to happen, at least not right away. But it does weaken the strength of the state, which is a wonderful thing. In a far more real way the UK government will be in competition with the EU and governments of the EU. and competition brings improves. for the customers i.e. people!

When a cartel falls its the little guy who benefits most!
    Best argument for Brexit I have heard. I don't agree with it, but it makes sense.
    If it's the first time you've heard and/or comprehended that argument than you really haven't been listening.
    Well I agree with Mark Twain. If you don't read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you read the newspapers you are misinformed. So I am selective in the coverage I consume. But given that one of the implications is that the UK should be competing with the EU to encourage the best migrants to come here I have a feeling it wouldn't be a line of reasoning that people campaigning for Brexit would find would resonate with the people they need to win over.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    edited April 2017
    thumb
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    calum said:

thumb

This discussion has been closed.