Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Where should a concerned LAB supporter direct his anger?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,002
    UKIP seem to be fielding less candidates than expected in the county council elections, including in some areas which have been good for them previously.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited April 2017
    Sandpit said:

This is a good example of what @SouthamObserver and I discussed earlier - a few well run councils that are (finally!) starting to care about where the pennies go. A few stickers on a van cost about fifty quid, painting it costs a couple of grand. Hey, you just saved 10% of the price of every new van in the council yard - and they'll probably be easier to sell on later. Win win win.

In the (unlikely) event I'm elected in May I'm going to take a good look at the council's budget :D
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

The holiday is given to celebrate the resurrection of Christ, it is not a secular bank holiday, there is no holiday related to the slave trade in the UK. In some ways May and Corbyn are leading a backlash for those of faith against metropolitan liberalism, it could even be said to be a symbol of a culture war which Brexit has driven home, Farage was notably critical of Cadbury too, liberals and the Guardian supportive

If a belief is so nonsensical that trying to impose it on people as a matter of politics looks a good idea, and that May, Corbyn and Farage's support is adduced as evidence that it is true, it is too nonsensical to believe in the first place.
    It is still the basis of the Easter holiday and if companies want to exploit they exploit what comes with it too
    I will be exploiting the Easter holiday by having four days off eating and drinking. Come and have a go if you think you are pious enough.
    Marking a holiday given to you to commemorate a Christian festival
    "given to us" by whom - the Lord God? HM the Queen? Mrs May? In the time stream inhabited by most of us, we are a secular democracy.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

The holiday is given to celebrate the resurrection of Christ, it is not a secular bank holiday, there is no holiday related to the slave trade in the UK. In some ways May and Corbyn are leading a backlash for those of faith against metropolitan liberalism, it could even be said to be a symbol of a culture war which Brexit has driven home, Farage was notably critical of Cadbury too, liberals and the Guardian supportive

If a belief is so nonsensical that trying to impose it on people as a matter of politics looks a good idea, and that May, Corbyn and Farage's support is adduced as evidence that it is true, it is too nonsensical to believe in the first place.
    It is still the basis of the Easter holiday and if companies want to exploit they exploit what comes with it too
    I will be exploiting the Easter holiday by having four days off eating and drinking. Come and have a go if you think you are pious enough.
    What will you br giving up for Lent?
    For part of it, I gave up PB.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Kevin Schofield‏Verified account @PolhomeEditor 3m3 minutes ago
    More
    Ken Livingstone verdict "imminent", I'm told.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Forcibly? :p
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

"given to us" by whom - the Lord God? HM the Queen? Mrs May? In the time stream inhabited by most of us, we are a secular democracy.
    The holidays aren't statutory in any case, as far as I understand it. If they are 'given' by anyone, it's employers (Good Friday and Easter Monday)
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

So a chemical weapons attack in Syria and the PM selling weapons to an evil regime and we are talking about chocolate eggs?

That regime buys vast quantities of our exports
    money for murder, we are open for business
    Plenty of BAE jobs in Scotland exporting to Saudi Arabia
    A load more highly skilled and well paid jobs ready to move to England if the Scottish government decides it doesn't want a defence industry.
    Certainly
    And a shed load of investors who will move their pensions etc from Standard Life etc if it votes yes in Sindy 2.
  • Options
    RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Forcibly? :p
    So it would seem. @PBmoderator is God!
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    rkrkrk said:

RobD said:

rkrkrk said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

So a chemical weapons attack in Syria and the PM selling weapons to an evil regime and we are talking about chocolate eggs?

And would just buy their weapons from elsewhere. The small consolation is we can try and use that influence to do some good.
    Presumably they would buy inferior weapons?
    That's something.
    I doubt ours are that special!
    Well they decided to buy them from us for some reason and given how much mulla they have in Saudi i don't think they go for the cheap options.
    How much moolah
    How many mullahs
    You're welcome
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

More

Will he be giving more "historical fact" based off the 1939-45 period ?
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

The holidays aren't statutory in any case, as far as I understand it. If they are 'given' by anyone, it's employers (Good Friday and Easter Monday)
    Easter Monday is statutory, Good Friday is a common law holiday.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    Just laid there being a general election this year at 5.9....

Would be quite a u turn, quite soon from TM to make it happen...

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/#/politics/event/28051210/market?marketId=1.125858951
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

This is a good example of what @SouthamObserver and I discussed earlier - a few well run councils that are (finally!) starting to care about where the pennies go. A few stickers on a van cost about fifty quid, painting it costs a couple of grand. Hey, you just saved 10% of the price of every new van in the council yard - and they'll probably be easier to sell on later. Win win win.

In the (unlikely) event I'm elected in May I'm going to take a good look at the council's budget :D
    Where are you standing Pulpstar?

I'm standing down from TC after about 12 years. Time for a break, but the cascade of responsibilities from the County to the Town Council is a big factor in it. It's way beyond what I can do on top of my full time job.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Christianity is very broad and many murderous and other brutal things have been done in its name, but considering only the spiritual depth of those many Christians who abhor such acts I much prefer that depth to the shallowness of consumerism. Consumerism is unlikely to last long in the order of things. It is closely bound up historically with advertising and mass debt.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

More

Will he be giving more "historical fact" based off the 1939-45 period ?
    Much amusement on Twitter at the prospect of the verdict possibly being given at 19:33, 19:39 or 19:45.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    bobajobPB said:

They aren't statutory for employees, but they are statutory for banks under Schedule 1 of the Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971.

• Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Cyan said:

bobajobPB said:

They aren't statutory for employees, but they are statutory for banks under Schedule 1 of the Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971.

Didn't they change the legal requirement for holidays a while back from 20 to 28 days so that people who had to work BHs still got the same time off?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Cyan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Christianity is very broad and many murderous and other brutal things have been done in its name, but considering only the spiritual depth of those many Christians who abhor such acts I much prefer that depth to the shallowness of consumerism. Consumerism is unlikely to last long in the order of things. It is closely bound up historically with advertising and mass debt.
    Christianity and consumerism are not the only two games in town. I am a highly ascetic rationalist (with, OK, a consumerist bias when confronted with a Cadburys Wispa easter egg.)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    TOPPING said:

At this important times of year we should be thinking only of one thing and only of one person.

Chocolate. And @MaxPB.

The best chocolate in the world comes from Sprungli in Zurich. Which is where Max is. Lucky so-and-so.

The best chocolate is Cailler IMO. Their chocolate is smoother and less sugary than Lindt.

Sprungli is part of Lindt now, and it is now made in Olten which is just down the road.

I don't think Cailler is available in the UK, I've never seen it outside of Switzerland and France, if you're ever in Switzerland go to Co-op and pick up a few bars of different varieties. I think the variety pack is a good starter, if I'm ever around for a PB meetup I'll bring a box for everyone to try!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Tonight's French presidential debate is about to begin.

Live in French from BMFTV.

France24's offering <- I'm not sure whether they will offer simultaneous English translation as they did for the first debate.

Pierre-Alexandre Teulié on F24 has just made the intelligent observation that from these debates it tends to be one person who emerges: Fillon and Hamon in the party primaries; Mélenchon (kind of) in the first all-spectrum debate.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited April 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Didn't know you were standing for election, good luck mate (and to any other PBers standing for office in May)! :)

There will be plenty of obviously wasteful line items in every council's spending, the same thing happens in any large organisation where the higher-ups only ever see a summary rather than detailed accounting report. They usually arise from a decision taken ages ago, which is followed to the letter irrespective of how out-dated or superseded it's become. What's needed are fresh eyes and political will.
  • Options

twitter.com/ft/status/849328238132416513

Yeah, the EU have been clear on this, that we can't sign a trade deal while still a member. No doubt there will be a transitional arrangement to smooth over the gap.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Cyan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Christianity and consumerism are not the only two games in town. I am a highly ascetic rationalist (with, OK, a consumerist bias when confronted with a Cadburys Wispa easter egg.)
    Rationality is, and will only ever be, part of a healthy outlook on life and society. I think it's one-sided to make an "ism" out of it.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    Returning to potential Labour losses in the local elections these were the largest Labour gains in 2013 and so are most at risk:

Durham +27
    Lancs +23
    Notts +21
    Staffs +21
    Derbys +18
    Suffolk +15
    Herts +12
    Northumbria +12
    Warwicks +12
    Cumbria +11
    Norfolk +11
    Kent +10
    Worcs +9
    Cornwall +8
    Essex +8
    Lincs +8
    Leics +6
    N Yorks +6

Almost all of these councillors are in working class Leave areas.

And in middle class Remain areas:

Oxfords +7
    Cambs +5

That's over 250 in total - people are way underestimating the potential Labour losses in England.

• Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

OK: A question for the PB Brains Trust.

How does one get onto the speaker circuit? Does one need an agent or send in one's CV to one of the many agencies?

If anyone has any brilliant ideas, let me know or vanilla mail me.

Thank you :)

Suggestion: Search online for names of speakers who might be your competition or who do similar work in slightly different fields. If they have websites or social media profiles they'll probably have a contact page pointing to an agent or manager.

Do some digging on the agencies and maybe approach a couple directly to see what they say. Meet them at their offices to see who they are and what they do - lots of one man bands with fancy looking websites and a handful of mobile phones can look like a large agency from a distance.

Be wary of 'exclusivity' clauses in contracts - but you're a lawyer and know that ;)

Good luck!
    Thank you and to @MrTimT
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Some things never change...

twitter.com/HarryAEvans/status/849277446876692480

To be fair, they were using more realistic timeframes back then... "five years to save the NHS".
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

UKIP seem to be fielding less candidates than expected in the county council elections, including in some areas which have been good for them previously.

Do you know how many of the UKIP gains in 2013 were from the Conservatives and how many from Labour ?
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Religion ?

:wink:
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    Bilateral agreements are most likely
  • Options
    Lol Who is this "Phillipe Poutou", there's casual and then there is running for the presidency in an old t-shirt.
    Speaking "tres rapide"
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Don - nothing but consistent.

• Options
    Australia, Canada and most of Europe all have insurance as part of their healthcare system
  • Options
    nunu said:
    Does Abbott still claim its all the tories fault?
  • Options
    Macron is fidgeting again.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    EDIT: Ugh, I think it's a hoax account
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    HYUFD said:

Are you actually trolling? You must know that bilateral trade deals with EU members would be illegal...
  • Options
    Livingston suspended for a year - pathetic
  • Options
    LOL - sky ticker says expelled - he says suspended
  • Options
    Livingston "you can't apologise for telling the truth"

• Options
    Rob

Easter Monday confers no right on workers to a day off, nor Good Friday. That's at the discretion of employers. If the Right put as much energy in protecting workers' rights on public holidays as it does over atheist Easter eggs, the world might be a nicer place.
  • Options
    Livingstone "most people know the truth"

They do Ken, but you seem to have trouble with it.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Floater said:

Livingston suspended for a year - pathetic

Evil Zionist conspiracy!
  • Options
    Nope - suspended not expelled.

Typical Labour nowadays.

Shocking really.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Livingston "you can't apologise for telling the truth"

He can apologise for all the lies and half-truths he's been peddling.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Rob

Easter Monday confers no right on workers to a day off, nor Good Friday. That's at the discretion of employers. If the Right put as much energy in protecting workers' rights on public holidays as it does over atheist Easter eggs, the world might be a nicer place.

Good Friday is not a public holiday in Italy.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited April 2017
    We hope that the advent of Brexit would lead the EU to focus on fixing its issues – immigration, bureaucracy, the ongoing loss of sovereign rights and labor inflexibility – and thereby pulling the EU and the monetary union closer together,” Mr Dimon said.

“Our fear, however, is that it could instead result in political unrest that would force the EU to split apart. The unraveling of the EU and the monetary union could have devastating economic and political effects.

"While we are not predicting this will happen, the probabilities have certainly gone up – and we will keep a close eye on the situation in Europe over the next several years.”

The 27 will inevitably end up squabbling among themselves if they drag out any deal with us and it is on anything other than fairly comprehensive free trade terms.

• Options
    Dupont-Aignan is the first to attack other candidates directly: Macron and Fillon.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Nope - suspended not expelled.

Typical Labour nowadays.

Shocking really.

It will pain people like SO but Labour is now the party for anti-Semites and conspiracy nut jobs.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Rob

They are both public holidays as a result of a religious festival, the fact working on those days can be made up elsewhere does not change that
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

Don't lecture us sunshine there's always CiF if you feel we're insufficiently relevant here.
    Charmed I'm sure. It is funny how lefties are always pro terrorist anti Israeli, etc, yet suggest not doing business with the Saudis ...outrageous.
    That's as maybe. But in what way does it follow on from your berating us for not discussing the ishoos?

Or are you starting your own mini-thread?
    I wasn't berating anyone. I certainly didn't intend to give any such impression. If it came across as such then I apologise.
    Edit. Having read back I can see how it could. Poor choice of words. Mea culpa.
    The internet is a tricky one for nuance! No need to apologise all is good on PB.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Rob

There's a statutory minimum holiday allowance for employees.

Obviously some employers are unable to allow all their workers to have public holidays off at the same time.

Or do you think it a good idea if the hospitals and power stations shut down on public holidays.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Are you actually trolling? You must know that bilateral trade deals with EU members would be illegal...
    Bilateral trade agreements with the EU in specific sectors certainly would not and is similar to what the US has with the EU
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    chestnut said:

We hope that the advent of Brexit would lead the EU to focus on fixing its issues – immigration, bureaucracy, the ongoing loss of sovereign rights and labor inflexibility – and thereby pulling the EU and the monetary union closer together,” Mr Dimon said.

“Our fear, however, is that it could instead result in political unrest that would force the EU to split apart. The unraveling of the EU and the monetary union could have devastating economic and political effects.

"While we are not predicting this will happen, the probabilities have certainly gone up – and we will keep a close eye on the situation in Europe over the next several years.”

The 27 will inevitably end up squabbling among themselves if they drag out any deal with us and it is on anything other than fairly comprehensive free trade terms.

Dimon's first sentence does not make sense, though. Pulling the EU and monetary union closer together will inevitably involve a greater loss of sovereign rights so if you're worried about the latter, you'd be against more of the former. I think what he means is that, as currently constructed, the EU and monetary union are neither fish nor fowl.

Still, good luck with persuading the EU to reduce labour inflexibility and bureaucracy. The EU sees these as good things, essential to temper free-booting Anglo-Saxon capitalism.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Rob

How is Easter Monday any different from other statutory holiday?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1971/80
  • Options
    Just taken £4 on Phillipe Poutou @ 1000.0 :p
  • Options
    Nathalie Arthaud: Europe is a diversion from the real problems of work and employment.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Cyan said:

Nathalie Arthaud: Europe is a diversion from the real problems of work and employment.

Is she a green ?

Has a bit of the Lucas vibe going on
  • Options
    Francois FIllon has a permanently guilty look on his face.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Cyan said:

Is she a green ?
    No - a Trotskyist.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    What's Le Pen saying?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Pulpstar said:

Cyan said:

Is she a green ?

Has a bit of the Lucas vibe going on
    No she's from the extreme far-left. Their former leader Arlette Laguiller used to be a perennial candidate and always started her speeches with, "Travailleurs, travailleuses..."
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Asselineau is allowing Le Pen to paint herself as moderate on the EU. He's also performing quite well on his own account. I won't be surprised if he polls above 0.5-1% after this,
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,083
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

money for murder, we are open for business
    Plenty of BAE jobs in Scotland exporting to Saudi Arabia
    Another one that thinks murdering women and children is good recompense
This discussion has been closed.