Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At the last Gorton by-election the Tories, led by the visionar

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    HHemmelig said:

Alas Heath’s achievements are now viewed by the Tories in much the same way that the LAB movement views Tony Blair.

Blair's election record: 3 elections - 2 massive landslide voctories, 1 other workable majority.
    Heath's election record: 4 elections - 1 working majority, 2 narrow defeats, 1 heavy defeat.

Hardly the same.

One of the main reasons Heath was/is strongly disliked by the Tory grassroots is the fact that he was rude and obnoxious to virtually everyone he met. And on this he made no distinction between those who agreed with him and those who didn't, nor between the duke and the dustman.

The ranks of those who were activists during Heath's leadership are heavily depleted now, but in many Tory associations you will still find a horror story or two about Heath coming to canvass in the 1970s, especially in seats near to his own in SE London.
    At one Tory dinner the lady sitting next to him made him a bet she could get him to speak to her having been uncommunicative throughout, he won
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    tlg86 said:

Mike Smithson‏ @MSmithsonPB 21m21 minutes ago

Survation Tatton poll has "3 jobs Osbo" holding on with 41% margin
    CON 58 (-1)
    LAB 17 (-1)
    LD 12 (+3)
    UKIP 9 (-2)

Except there will be no seat after boundary changes iirc.

That's not actually that good for the Tories considering the change in the national polls since the last election.
    Although Tatton voted Remain - in fact it's a bit Richmond Park-like, lots of ultra-rich "citizens of the world" who commute to Manchester - so it would make sense if the swing to them there is below the national average.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2017
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

We start from here on the day Brexit. We then start selling Scotch whisky to India and China at zero % tariff.

Err, tariffs are imposed by the importing country!
    Correct - but we announce that our starting rates are zero for imports and we expect the same for exports.

Let's see who's for free trade and who isn't.
    Everyone is in favour of free trade in theory.

However, your scheme doesn't work. Even in the incredibly unlikely scenario where India, China and other countries were so grateful to the UK for abolishing all tariffs that they wanted to reciprocate, they couldn't under WTO rules. If they offer 0% tariffs to us, they have to offer them to everyone, unless there's a comprehensive free-trade deal in place between us and them. But, if we offer them full traiff-free access to our market, then they've got zero incentive to sign a free-trade deal with us.

In other words, it's a non-starter.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Danny565 said:

TGOHF said:

We start from here on the day Brexit. We then start selling Scotch whisky to India and China at zero % tariff.

True, there is a case for the UK declaring unilateral free trade (i.e. not imposing any tariffs on any imports whatsoever) but I suspect very difficult to do politically.
    And if the Europeans turn round and say "thanks very much for not putting tariffs on our goods, but we'll be slapping 25% tariffs on you"?
    Well, under WTO rules they can't discriminate against us so they could only charge us what they charge everyone else for the same product.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    While in general I believe "less is more" when it comes to legislating, I think the SNP Government is taking it a bit far:

With MSPs set to debate and vote on another independence referendum bill today, more than a year has passed since the Scottish parliament passed any legislation.

http://labourlist.org/2017/03/holyrood-passes-no-legislation-for-a-year-whilst-the-snp-obsess-on-independence/

If a legislature doesn't pass any legislation a point comes when you have to ask what is it for?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,427
    DavidL said:

Have to say I am a bit concerned about this. I like my accountant but I pay him enough already.
    I know I've been banging on about this recently. But Hammond really is walking into a world of pain on this one, once the self-employed understand what is going to happen.

The threshold for involvement is £10K. At bare minimum he needs to raise this.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    It seems the plebs of Tatton are grateful George 'million pounds a year' Osborne can still be bothered to occasionally grace them with his presence!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Correct - but we announce that our starting rates are zero for imports and we expect the same for exports.

However, your scheme doesn't work. Even in the incredibly unlikely scenario where India, China and other countries were so grateful to the UK for abolishing all tariffs that they wanted to reciprocate, they couldn't under WTO rules. If they offer 0% tariffs to us, they have to offer them to everyone.
    I guess they could reciprocate by signing a FTA? :p
  • Options
    I think Osborne will be content with those numbers. A huge net 'wrong', but only an MoE change over 2015.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

However, your scheme doesn't work. Even in the incredibly unlikely scenario where India, China and other countries were so grateful to the UK for abolishing all tariffs that they wanted to reciprocate, they couldn't under WTO rules. If they offer 0% tariffs to us, they have to offer them to everyone.
    So plenty of pressure to sign a trade deal to get away from WTO rules ? Ideal.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

tlg86 said:

CON 58 (-1)
    LAB 17 (-1)
    LD 12 (+3)
    UKIP 9 (-2)

That's not actually that good for the Tories considering the change in the national polls since the last election.
    Although Tatton voted Remain - in fact it's a bit Richmond Park-like, lots of ultra-rich "citizens of the world" who commute to Manchester - so it would make sense if the swing to them there is below the national average.
    I'm a former resident of Tatton, I loved living there, was ideal country for us dripping wet socially Liberal Cameroons
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

tlg86 said:

CON 58 (-1)
    LAB 17 (-1)
    LD 12 (+3)
    UKIP 9 (-2)

Yes, they certainly deserve to have George as their part-time MP.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

TGOHF said:

True, there is a case for the UK declaring unilateral free trade (i.e. not imposing any tariffs on any imports whatsoever) but I suspect very difficult to do politically.
    And if the Europeans turn round and say "thanks very much for not putting tariffs on our goods, but we'll be slapping 25% tariffs on you"?
    Which is why May is ready to 'slap tariffs' on EU goods and services if necessary
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/3145643/theresa-may-tariffs-on-goods-from-eu/amp/
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,263
    calum said:

The Nats favourite writer:

For some lapsed Catholics, nationalism fills a void where spirituality once dwelt

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/issues/march-24th-2017/scotlands-messianic-age

Mr Daisley certainly gets around - the full quote which you've precised above speaks volumes about your chap:

"For lapsed Catholics, nationalism fills a void once nourished by spirituality, and redemption comes through sovereignty, not salvation. Francis may be the Pope but only Nicola is infallible."
    To conflate two topics on this thread, Big Stevie also self describes as a Zionist, rather odd for a West of Scotland Catholic boy.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

While in general I believe "less is more" when it comes to legislating, I think the SNP Government is taking it a bit far:

With MSPs set to debate and vote on another independence referendum bill today, more than a year has passed since the Scottish parliament passed any legislation.

http://labourlist.org/2017/03/holyrood-passes-no-legislation-for-a-year-whilst-the-snp-obsess-on-independence/

If a legislature doesn't pass any legislation a point comes when you have to ask what is it for?

Apparently, February 2017 is a year ago.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

Surely the avalanche of EU directives they have to deal with gives rise to a mountain of legislation? Don't tell me the Leave campaign was telling porkies...
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    RobD said:

I think Osborne will be content with those numbers. A huge net 'wrong', but only an MoE change over 2015.

Does Osbo care? Is he really that bothered about remaining an MP? If so, he has an odd way of going about winning a selection contest.

(That said, as someone who might well be running at least one selection contest, I can see that his capacity to fundraise would be a net positive).
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Looks sort of light, but I think that is a good thing.

http://www.parliament.scot/parliamentarybusiness/Bills/576.aspx
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,392

DavidL said:

Have to say I am a bit concerned about this. I like my accountant but I pay him enough already.
    I know I've been banging on about this recently. But Hammond really is walking into a world of pain on this one, once the self-employed understand what is going to happen.

The threshold for involvement is £10K. At bare minimum he needs to raise this.
    There is going to be a minor cash flow advantage for the government and possibly some reduction in bad debt in exchange for a whole lot more work for the self employed, their accountants and HMRC. It would be so much easier to accelerate current payments.
  • Options
    Steps were having a clandestine meeting with Sturgeon and May?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tragedy-reporters-waiting-theresa-nicola-10109973
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Borough, really? Well, there are other signs too. The crest is not quite right.

Mr. Borough (2), hope that doesn't include lower earners. Won't be welcome to have to use electronic bullshit to register than two-fifths of a peanut earnt in a quarter...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

It's one of those things where to get the claim to stack up you have to ignore statutory instruments, the budget and the like.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Ted Heath visionary? We went into Europe on a lie
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    RobC said:

Talking of coinage the old seven sided threepence would be worth about 21p today. Prto-rata the old halfpenny demonetised almost 50 years ago in 1968 would be worth 3.5p yet we still use 1p and 2p coins with even less purchasing power. Time to ditch brown money!

We could even rename the 5p as a shilling and get back to 20 shillings to the pound.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

CON 58 (-1)
    LAB 17 (-1)
    LD 12 (+3)
    UKIP 9 (-2)

The Con vote in places like Tatton might be close to being maxed out. Osborne's 2015 share was the highest in the seat since it was created for the 1983 election
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

Saying that it does look as though it is true that, apart from the budget, there has been no bill past since last March. Did the SNP actually have any manifesto commitments apart from endless agitation on independence?

Edit: Just saw your reply on SIs, Alistair. Fair point, but to go one year only passing the budget and no other piece of primary legislation does appear odd.
  • Options

I saw something like this before and I was confused then. The Scottish Parliament passed 22 Acts in 2016 which was actually a record: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2011

What criteria are they using?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292

The Guardian going into complete melt-down over the Mail front page is hilarious.

I have no idea why the guardian can't get anybody to pay for their coverage of the news.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Danny565 said:

TGOHF said:

We reciprocate but are now free to zero rate beyond Europe if we choose.

This is where the trade balance comes into play. We are a better customer than they are.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

TGOHF said:

This is where the trade balance comes into play. We are a better customer than they are.
    You don't understand how the WTO works do you ?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

RobD said:

Does Osbo care? Is he really that bothered about remaining an MP? If so, he has an odd way of going about winning a selection contest.

(That said, as someone who might well be running at least one selection contest, I can see that his capacity to fundraise would be a net positive).
    Monetarily no, Osborne's not only earning vastly more than backbench MPs but significantly more than May too and in fact he is even outearning his old boss Cameron on the lecture circuit
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

I'd like guineas back please.

I'd love to bill my clients in guineas.

I like the idea of adding an unusual method of payment to a bill as a talking point.

My invoices now offer Bitcoins as an option. I didn't expect anyone to actually pay me that way but a couple have started!
  • Options

twitter.com/Coral/status/846684111863496705

Perhaps you should give the NHS a heads up when you do publish the much vaunted AV thread. :smiley:
  • Options
    That's quite remarkable when you consider that something like 10% of the country's population was in France.
  • Options

chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

TGOHF said:

Providing we reach reasonably far reaching deals with other nations we can adjust.
  • Options

The Guardian going into complete melt-down over the Mail front page is hilarious.

I have no idea why the guardian can't get anybody to pay for their coverage of the news.
    Sadiq Khan has weighed in now. Putting women off politics.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    HHemmelig said:

Roger

"Though it's a joke I am seethingly angry with the people who put us in this state. I don't go along with the idea that you have to be nice towards people who you believe to be mean spirited which is how I see Brexiteers. I personally know very few and in the same way that I don't find 'metropolitan elite' offensive (I know what they mean) they shouldn't find 'small minded mean spirited nationalists' offensive. What part could you argue with?"

It's a big mistake to tar everyone with the same brush. Many of those who voted Brexit do not fit your stereotype of hardline thick racists, in fact many may not have been all that bothered about the issue but simply made a choice between the two campaigns without thinking too much about it. Most Leave voters I know personally are kind, comfortably off and retired. Also do not tar whole towns with the same brush, even in places like Hartlepool and Clacton at least 30% voted to Remain. I imagine that minority do not like people such as yourself labelling residents of their town as ignorant thickos.

Agreed. It's no good (and pointlessly rude) trying to troll Leavers. Politely refusing to accept that options are closed forever and patiently arguing that we're making a mistake is the only way forward for Remainers.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,032
    BETTING... Betway have an interesting bet which is 4/11 for any non-Belgian to win the Tour of Flanders on Sunday. The only Belgian with a realistic chance is Greg van Avermaet who has just flogged himself to oblivion to win E3 Harelbeke and Gent-Wevelgem this week. The Tour of Flanders is the toughest race on the tour so effectively betting that GvA can't win it at 4/11 is great value as he cannot have fully recovered.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

And September 2014 a generation ago...
  • Options

Mr. Borough, really? Well, there are other signs too. The crest is not quite right.

Mr. Borough (2), hope that doesn't include lower earners. Won't be welcome to have to use electronic bullshit to register than two-fifths of a peanut earnt in a quarter...

Depends what you mean by low earners.

It is rather unclear at moment. No one who earns less than £10K from self-employed work or property rental will be involved. This threshold might be moved, possibly to the same level as the personal allowance (i.e. £11K).

Anyone who earns less than the VAT threshold, but more than £10K and also enough to pay Class 4 NICS will be dragged into the scheme in 2019.

There is, in my opinion, a grey area between £10K and the Class 4 NIC threshold (which is based on profit not turn-over).
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Sadiq Khan has weighed in now. Putting women off politics.
    Putting men off politics?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/08/19/1408442183654_Image_galleryImage_David_Cameron_is_pictured.JPG
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

TGOHF said:

WTO conditions are so good that countries spend years creating custom trade deals rather than use WTO.

Duh .....
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    tlg86 said:

That's quite remarkable when you consider that something like 10% of the country's population was in France.
    While the cat's away and all that...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

TGOHF said:

It's almost as if some can't comprehend that we have a massive trade deficit.

• Options

Depends what you mean by low earners.

It is rather unclear at moment. No one who earns less than £10K from self-employed work or property rental will be involved. This threshold might be moved, possibly to the same level as the personal allowance (i.e. £11K).

Anyone who earns less than the VAT threshold, but more than £10K and also enough to pay Class 4 NICS will be dragged into the scheme in 2019.

There is, in my opinion, a grey area between £10K and the Class 4 NIC threshold (which is based on profit not turn-over).
    I don't think the actual digital filing is a burden - takes minutes. It's the accompanying requirement to maintain business records digitally that will cause the pain. Loads of plumbers who don't keep proper records will now have to.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

While the cat's away and all that...
    That thought had crossed my mind...
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for that, @FrancisUrquhart :p
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    tlg86 said:

The postmen and milkmen all stayed behind in Iceland...
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    DavidL said:

I saw something like this before and I was confused then. The Scottish Parliament passed 22 Acts in 2016 which was actually a record: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2011

What criteria are they using?
    As you'd expect most outgoing administrations front load their legislative program in advance of an election and it takes time to gear up - particularly as the SNP are now a minority government.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    edited March 2017
    Mr. Borough, appreciate that info.

Whilst not personally affected, the policy remains bloody stupid.

Edited extra bit: anyway, must be off.
  • Options
    Labour have lost almost 11,000 members in the last four weeks as thousands neglected to renew their subscription to the party.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/84618/labour-membership-falls-thousands-fail-renew

Armchair Corbynista showing their complete lack of interest in anything other than leadership contests?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

TGOHF said:

Apparently we aren't allowed to operate preferential trade as an independent nation yet that is the entire argument for the EU.
  • Options

Labour have lost almost 11,000 members in the last four weeks as thousands neglected to renew their subscription to the party.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/84618/labour-membership-falls-thousands-fail-renew

Armchair Corbynista showing their complete lack of interest in anything other than leadership contests?

Isn't retweeting and liking on facebook enough?
  • Options

'"About 60 per cent of these people joined to take part in the 2016 leadership election and immediately went into arrears," the report said.

"The other 40 per cent joined to take part in the 2015 leadership election and didn’t renew their membership after the first year.”'

So yes, Corbynites leaving after a year or two rather than old-school members getting pissed off.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

Saying that it does look as though it is true that, apart from the budget, there has been no bill past since last March. Did the SNP actually have any manifesto commitments apart from endless agitation on independence?

Edit: Just saw your reply on SIs, Alistair. Fair point, but to go one year only passing the budget and no other piece of primary legislation does appear odd.
    The ever so exciting Abusive Behaviour and Sexual Harm (Scotland) Act 2016 received Royal Assent on 28th April 2016.

They are not exactly overworked and do depressingly little to address Scotland's problems but this claim by Labour list does not look right.
  • Options
    That's disappointing as the government can now ignore the report and point to the minority report.....
  • Options
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

The ever so exciting Abusive Behaviour and Sexual Harm (Scotland) Act 2016 received Royal Assent on 28th April 2016.

They are not exactly overworked and do depressingly little to address Scotland's problems but this claim by Labour list does not look right.
    They do mention the budget in the body of the text, and it is a fair point that they are legally obliged to pass a budget each year.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Monetarily no, Osborne's not only earning vastly more than backbench MPs but significantly more than May too and in fact he is even outearning his old boss Cameron on the lecture circuit
    I don't know why he doesn't just stand down. Perhaps he's waiting for May to stumble and then to ride to the government's rescue but that seems like wishful thinking. Perhaps he's also waiting to see whether the new boundaries will be implemented. Either way, he'll need to make a call fairly soon - probably within a year.
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/28/theresa-mays-article-50-letter-five-tell-tale-signsthat-will/

A hundred pages? What happened to the simple hologramatic communication... "execute Article 50"? :p
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

I don't know why he doesn't just stand down.

Money and Influence? He would lose both.

• Options

'"About 60 per cent of these people joined to take part in the 2016 leadership election and immediately went into arrears," the report said.

"The other 40 per cent joined to take part in the 2015 leadership election and didn’t renew their membership after the first year.”'

So yes, Corbynites leaving after a year or two rather than old-school members getting pissed off.
    I didn't quite understand the arrears comment. Are they saying that people ticked to join the party, in order to vote in the contest, and then never paid any subs (or at least paid the first month and then not again)?

At one point we were told Labour was making serious money from all the new members.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    tlg86 said:

Not if their WAGs were with them.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Just because the babies were all born in Iceland, it doesn't mean that they were all conceived there.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    chestnut said:

TGOHF said:

chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

TGOHF said:

Apparently we aren't allowed to operate preferential trade as an independent nation yet that is the entire argument for the EU.
    We are in a world of complex, integrated trade deals, associations, and interrelated commercial relations.

And that, without stepping back into the ring for some more sparring, is why leaving the EU is so misconceived.
  • Options
    BBC has Benn story:

A number of Brexit-backing MPs "politely" walked out of a private meeting of the Commons Brexit Select Committee, it has been claimed.

A source said Labour chairman Hilary Benn had tried to "bounce" members into accepting a 155-page report into the government's Brexit White Paper.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39417715
  • Options
    edited March 2017

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

I don't know why he doesn't just stand down. Perhaps he's waiting for May to stumble and then to ride to the government's rescue but that seems like wishful thinking. Perhaps he's also waiting to see whether the new boundaries will be implemented. Either way, he'll need to make a call fairly soon - probably within a year.
    Agreed, given most of his earnings now come from outside Westminster he clearly cannot devote his full time to his role as an MP
  • Options
    felix said:

tlg86 said:

Not if their WAGs were with them.
    Perhaps, but looking at the pictures it looks like mostly men (which is what you'd expect). But it might be that the younger men were more likely to be there with their significant others.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

tlg86 said:

Just because the babies were all born in Iceland, it doesn't mean that they were all conceived there.
    They're all cousins anyway :p
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,648

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

He was positioning himself as (as he would see it) the rational alternative to Boris as Foreign Secretary only a few months ago.

Perhaps he's concluded he isn't going anywhere. He's not going to be Chancellor again, and he's too disliked to become party leader/PM.

So, barring a black swan, what else is there for him in politics?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

All the kids in Iceland have an app on their phone which when you bump phones with another person it tells you if you are too closely related to get it on or not.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,032

Leading a new centrist party in the style of En Marche. It will be called "GO!"

• Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

He was positioning himself as (as he would see it) the rational alternative to Boris as Foreign Secretary only a few months ago.

Perhaps he's concluded he isn't going anywhere. He's not going to be Chancellor again, and he's too disliked to become party leader/PM.

Theresa May should sack Boris and appoint Osborne in his place. Boris does seem to irritate our EU friends to a quite damaging degree, and that is not going to be at all helpful in the negotiations.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
  • Options

I didn't quite understand the arrears comment. Are they saying that people ticked to join the party, in order to vote in the contest, and then never paid any subs (or at least paid the first month and then not again)?

At one point we were told Labour was making serious money from all the new members.
    Presumably yes, they paid the first installment, voted, and didn't pay another penny.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who signed up to get a vote and are still members on paper but don't consider themselves to be members or have any intention of renewing.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

All the kids in Iceland have an app on their phone which when you bump phones with another person it tells you if you are too closely related to get it on or not.
    Excellent. I must install that before my holiday there.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

chestnut said:

TGOHF said:

chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

TGOHF said:

We are in a world of complex, integrated trade deals, associations, and interrelated commercial relations.

And that, without stepping back into the ring for some more sparring, is why leaving the EU is so misconceived.
    That is true but it is unravelling.

The US is withdrawing and so are we. The perception is that the deals have turned sour and had negative side effects.

I read the mood as one where similarly minded and similarly wealthy nations are now looking to set up a new club without the downsides.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 725
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

According to your table, Winston S Churchill was actually 578 votes short of winning and not 557 as stated.
    Btw why has Winston Churchill's middle initial been included and not those of the other candidates?

Presumably because it's from Wikipedia, and that needs to differentiate "S" from another Winston.
    The name of the page being linked to doesn't have to match exactly the text being used for the link, so I don't think that is it.
    I suspect it's simply because whoever edited the page was lazy :-)
    To be fair, the Wikipedia table faithfully reproduces the names from its source material (a results web page, which probably used the actual names on the ballot paper).
  • Options
    F##k if you didn't think ISIS were really sick f##kers, sky showing propaganda video where they filmed young kids been sent into building to hunt down and kill prisoners in a running man style movie, but for real.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Introduce that to Norfolk and everyone would be celibate.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Osborne is only hanging around in politics so as not to break TSE's heart.

Go on, TSE, tell him it's OK to go. Do the decent thing - set him free. Only you can do this....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Theresa May should sack Boris and appoint Osborne in his place. Boris does seem to irritate our EU friends to a quite damaging degree, and that is not going to be at all helpful in the negotiations.
    Would Osborne make a near-perfect Foreign Secretary?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Osborne irritates the British public to a quite damaging degree...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited March 2017
    chestnut said:

TOPPING said:

chestnut said:

TGOHF said:

chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

TGOHF said:

The US is withdrawing and so are we. The perception is that the deals have turned sour and had negative side effects.

I read the mood as one where similarly minded and similarly wealthy nations are now looking to set up a new club without the downsides.
    A club of like-minded nations you say? Coming together to determine mutually agreed rules of trade between themselves you say?

• Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Yes, I expect so.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

Animal_pb said:

Roger said:

FPT

The most noticable difference the early days of Brexit will make is the complexity of the forms we will have to fill in. This morning I received something which is known as a W-8BEN-E which I understand relates to a small investment I have in the US. It is 10 pages long and a flavour can be seen from question 1 under the title 'status'.

"Are you a non participating FFI including a limited FFI or an FFI related to a reporting IGA FFI other than a deemed compliant FFI participating FFI or exempt beneficial owner?"

Imagine the 'Leavers' of Clackton Hartlipool and Stoke who require aids such as 'open other end' on the bottom of milk-bottles grappling with FORMS like this?

Because once we are on our own this is going to be the norm. Years of non bureaucratic existance will be over. It'll be like dealing with the US every day

You have to fill in a W-8BEN-E as a private investor? Really? What kind of stuff are you investing in that get caught by the US FATCA regulations?
    I don't even know what the investment is. Possibly a unit trust or even just a part of a unit trust? It's so ridiculous and difficult i'm going to call them up and tell them to sell it whatever it is. It's driving me mad!
    I get the same forms for my US taxes. Insane bureaucracy. America is famous for it.

You could just about do your own self-employed UK tax forms, with half a brain and Google to help.

Impossible with America. You have to use an accountant, who will cost you folding money.
    I wonder if there is some freemasonic deal between accountants, the IRS and the American Treasury.
    The makers of TurboTax lobbied hard against simplifying personal taxes in the US.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Seven jobs instead of six???
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Seven jobs instead of six???
    Osborne the man with more real jobs than Paul nuttall has had imaginary ones.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

I wrote a thread in September suggesting that Osborne might be the answer to Brexit; I was thinking on a good cop, bad cop, basis.

Thing is: I'm not sure he could work under May's strategic direction, and he's not done much to repair trust with the Party.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leading a new centrist party in the style of En Marche. It will be called "GO!"

Grassroots Out?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Boris has made good friends with Tillerson, Pence and key figures within the Trump administration though and he goes down quite well beyond the EU (and even there Eastern Europeans seem to quite like him). Anyway it will be May and Davis who will do most of the negotiating with the EU and not Boris
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    TOPPING said:

chestnut said:

TOPPING said:

chestnut said:

TGOHF said:

chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

TGOHF said:

A club of like-minded nations you say? Coming together to determine mutually agreed rules of trade between themselves you say?

But ... won't that stop us taking back control?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited March 2017
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Yes, I expect so.
    I thought you might!
  • Options
    That said, I wouldn't be surprised if May sacked Boris in a reshuffle before long. By all accounts, she only appointed him in the first place because she felt to "unify the party" she needed to get one of the top Leavers in post, and she found Michael Gove too beyond the pale. But the party is unified now and she is incredibly popular with the Brexit wing of her party, so job done, no need to keep a Foreign Secretary who only ever drops the government into hot water.

That said, looking down the Cabinet list, I'm not sure who else would be a suitable FS. Possibly Michael Fallon?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    TOPPING said:

chestnut said:

TOPPING said:

chestnut said:

TGOHF said:

chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

TGOHF said:

It could be simply based around trade between like-minded nations. We could call it the Empathic Economic Commonwealth.... Or EEC for short.

How come no-one thought of that before?
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Boris has done fine as Foreign Secretary. A couple of gaffes in the first weeks reinforced a certain image of him, but he's getting into the role. I don't see what would qualify Osborne to replace him.
This discussion has been closed.