Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For first time since being sacked after getting GE2005 spot on

Comments

• Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233
    GeoffM said:

slade said:

By-election news: Lord Colgrain has won the by-election for hereditory peers. He beat 26 other candidates including Earl Stockton, Earl Lloyd-George, and Lord Harlech. Can honestly say I had never heard of him.

Who, indeed, would be expected to have heard of a hereditary peerage created after WW2?
    They're all a bit parvenu compared to the Earl of Arundel (cr 1138): Harlech (cr. 1876), Lloyd-George (cr. 1945), Colgrain (cr. 1946) and new kid on the block Stockton (cr. 1984). With the elevation of Willie Whitelaw in 1983 the Blessed Margaret appeared to create a meme that only candidates without heirs might aspire to the 'modern' hereditary peerage, but the following year Harold Macmillan drove a coach and four through this dubious principle by demanding his earldom as a former PM. I'm sorry the current Earl (and former MEP) didn't make it this time, but at least he has an heir, so his time might come eventually, post mortem.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Omnium said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

surbiton said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

A parsec is the distance at which 1 au subtends 1 arcsecond on the sky. They are intimately linked.

I am not denying that. What I am saying is that if I need to use parsecs then there is virtually point to using AUs for that measurement. If something is 2.2 M parsecs away then I will say that rather than 453,783,000,000 AUs

But that doesn't change the fact it is the basis of the parsec ;)
    *sigh*

Yes... you correct. It is the basis of the parsec

But nobody measures stellar distance in AUs
    That is unnecessarily rude; you are the one missing the point, and making the erroneous statement in the first place that parsecs are metric.
    The parsec is no more metric than the metre. The metre is 1.6(ish) million wavelengths of light or the distance travelled by light in 1/299,000(ish) of a second. But it is divided up in a regular way just like the metre, milliparsecs, parsecs, kiloparsecs, megaparsecs gigaparsecs. We do not have an "oddball" conversion factor like 1 parfoot = 12 parsecs or 1 parinch = 1/36 of a parsec

But surely the original "metre" was the distance from the North pole to the equator divided by 10000. Obviously, only the French could think like that.
    The most annoying number in the world, after Don Bradman's batting average, is the speed of light at 299 792 458 m / s. If only, if only we could redefine the metre as 1/300000000 of the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1 second.
    Surely if we simply changed the value of a second, that problem would solve itself.
    I believe there are nutters about who contend that the speed of light is not constant but changes over time. Either your change, or mine, would make it very difficult for them to formulate their claim..
    I'm in the nutters camp then! I think it's more likely that it does change than that it doesn't. I can't see why it might be constant. Even such obviously constant things like the number of dimensions in the universe might not actually be so. I guess I draw my personal line with things like prime numbers - I do believe that a number that is prime now will be prime forever. Tory government is looking like a candidate for another good example!

No offence! And if you asked me to outline the reasons why believing that it might have varied by a metre or two per second over the centuries is manifestly insane, I wouldn't have a clue.
  • Options

Rachel Dolezal - the white US woman who said she was black - says "the idea of race is a lie".

Speaking in an interview with Emily Maitlis, she argued that the concept of "transracial" - similar to that of transgender - is useful in describing people such as herself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39410805

Looks like LGBTIQ....is going to need some more letters...I suggest N....for Nutter.

We're going to get to a point where you can self identify as whatever you want soon.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2017

Rachel Dolezal - the white US woman who said she was black - says "the idea of race is a lie".

Speaking in an interview with Emily Maitlis, she argued that the concept of "transracial" - similar to that of transgender - is useful in describing people such as herself.

Looks like LGBTIQ....is going to need some more letters...I suggest N....for Nutter.

We're going to get to a point where you can self identify as whatever you want soon.
    Here's a revolutionary thought...why don't people just say I am an individual, a thing called a person.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Interesting perspective from within SLAB on the Labour Hame site - a bit of a long read - as are many of the comments. That said - the upshot appears to be that SLAB would reluctantly join with the Tories in any Indyref2 campaign, but would be campaigning on the new "Project Home Rule" basis outlined by Mr Brown.

http://labourhame.com/the-playmobil-parliament/

Not sure how this approach will work as their campaigning partners - the Tories - will not be supportive !

Hopefully some of the Labour Hame folks might join our merryband in the run up to Indyref2 !!
  • Options

Here's a revolutionary thought...why don't people just say I am an individual, a thing called a person.
    Where's the fun in that? I wanna be a Viking!
  • Options
    edited March 2017

A transracial viking?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    edited March 2017

Looks like LGBTIQ....is going to need some more letters

It already does - LGBTIQA.

A four letter unpronounceable acronym is ok as you can spell it out in not too much time, but if your going 7 letters it really has to be pronounceable.

Seriously, we are all people, it's culture that is different (and people of different skin colours and other differences have been treated differently within carious cultures), so what would even be the point of saying you 'feel' at heart that you are a different race? That'd just be saying you desire a different culture or something, surely? In which case why even bring up that you feel like you are a different skin colour inside?
  • Options

A transracial viking?
    I just want to be a stylized version, good hair, nice tattoos, big muscles, and a big wolfhound. A few hot blondes draped tastefully on fur rugs around my log burner, nothing controversial.
  • Options

A few hot blondes draped tastefully on fur rugs around my log burner, nothing controversial.

Sounds like a typical night at Chez SeanT ...
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

The N for nutter is already catered for. Some of those letters represent people who are simply not right in the head and need treatment rather than encouragement.
  • Options

A few hot blondes draped tastefully on fur rugs around my log burner, nothing controversial.

Sounds like a typical night at Chez SeanT ...
    So I'm not the only one envious of SeanT ...

• Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

Like Michael Gilhaney in the Third Policeman I am nearly half bicycle.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

The N for nutter is already catered for. Some of those letters represent people who are simply not right in the head and need treatment rather than encouragement.
    I'd have to disagree. There are a lot of people who just don't feel in the right body, and they deserve understanding, not "treating". I think a few sharks are being jumped when you start to want to self identified as a different race though.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

I'd have to disagree. There are a lot of people who just don't feel in the right body, and they deserve understanding, not "treating". I think a few sharks are being jumped when you start to want to self identified as a different race though.
    Race is a silly thing to treat people differently over, of course, but I genuinely don't get the idea you can 'feel' like a different skin colour. Sexuality is much more fluid (which is of course one reason they keep adding new letters, since I'm sure there are more that are still left out).
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Ishmael_Z said:

Omnium said:

I'm in the nutters camp then! I think it's more likely that it does change than that it doesn't. I can't see why it might be constant. Even such obviously constant things like the number of dimensions in the universe might not actually be so. I guess I draw my personal line with things like prime numbers - I do believe that a number that is prime now will be prime forever. Tory government is looking like a candidate for another good example!

No offence! And if you asked me to outline the reasons why believing that it might have varied by a metre or two per second over the centuries is manifestly insane, I wouldn't have a clue.
    Ah, the nutters are some young earth creationists. The change in the speed of light they hypothesise is, erm, significant and substantial.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340
    edited March 2017
    calum said:

Interesting perspective from within SLAB on the Labour Hame site - a bit of a long read - as are many of the comments. That said - the upshot appears to be that SLAB would reluctantly join with the Tories in any Indyref2 campaign, but would be campaigning on the new "Project Home Rule" basis outlined by Mr Brown.

Not sure how this approach will work as their campaigning partners - the Tories - will not be supportive !

Hopefully some of the Labour Hame folks might join our merryband in the run up to Indyref2 !!

I cannot see Indyref2 this side of the next general election in 2020. Theresa May has said not now and nothing is going to change her mind. Indeed I would suspect neither the HOC or HOL would pass the legislation at this time.

I believe that Nicola has embarked on an unnecessary high stakes gamble that if anything makes independence less likely than more likely

Maybe some on here will disagree with me but TM is willing to take the flak if necessary and probably that is as a result of talks with the Scots Unionist parties and focus groups that have shown a majority of Scots do not want this referendum now
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

A log burner in a fire place is good, but a lot of the heat goes up the chimney and into the bricks. We've got ours in the lounge, but against a wall, with the maximum allowed exposed flue plugged into the side of the chimney breast. It's only small, but can be unbearable. A few weeks ago when we had a mini cold snap, I walked around with the Hive thermostat. It was 36 degrees on the sofa, 25 in the hallway, and 22 in our bedroom. Trouble is, the temperature difference is so great, it feels freezing in the bedroom! I've got a Stirling fan on the top of the stove, which does seem to push the heat around a little.

TFS you are a wimp , when I were a lad we had no heating , coal fire in the living room was it, we had ice on the inside of the bedroom windows.
    I had that as a lad in a council house in a small village outside Leicester late 60, early 70s.. I remember the worst winter, the water in the inside toilet froze! I vowed never to be cold and poor as an adult. I've not always kept the vow, unfortunately!
    We still had an outside bog when I was 6 or 7 years old. My dad was a tutor at a local college of education. So were theoretically middle class. And yes we had a coal fire, and no central heating. It was often my job to set and light the fire on winter mornings - no joke.

I remember the big day we got "storage heaters", meaning much more heat, and less reliance on that single coal fire.

Quite incredible, really.
    I lived in a house with no central heating until I was 9 (in 1969). As a kid, the only winter warmth I got was from a Chinese burn off the school bully....

I remember the ice forming on the inside of the windows as the condensation froze. You just put on another jumper.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    NOP was no more reliable than other pollsters when it reported regularly in the past. I recall it gave Labour a 12.4% lead less than a week before the June 1970 election - yet the Tories went on to win by over 2%.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

A log burner in a fire place is good, but a lot of the heat goes up the chimney and into the bricks. We've got ours in the lounge, but against a wall, with the maximum allowed exposed flue plugged into the side of the chimney breast. It's only small, but can be unbearable. A few weeks ago when we had a mini cold snap, I walked around with the Hive thermostat. It was 36 degrees on the sofa, 25 in the hallway, and 22 in our bedroom. Trouble is, the temperature difference is so great, it feels freezing in the bedroom! I've got a Stirling fan on the top of the stove, which does seem to push the heat around a little.

TFS you are a wimp , when I were a lad we had no heating , coal fire in the living room was it, we had ice on the inside of the bedroom windows.
    I had that as a lad in a council house in a small village outside Leicester late 60, early 70s.. I remember the worst winter, the water in the inside toilet froze! I vowed never to be cold and poor as an adult. I've not always kept the vow, unfortunately!
    We still had an outside bog when I was 6 or 7 years old. My dad was a tutor at a local college of education. So were theoretically middle class. And yes we had a coal fire, and no central heating. It was often my job to set and light the fire on winter mornings - no joke.

I remember the big day we got "storage heaters", meaning much more heat, and less reliance on that single coal fire.

I used to shovel the coal into my grandparents fire in their council house when I was between 5 and 10 years old. But they did have one indoor lavatory as well as an outside one. That was in the late 80s / early 90s. In about 1992 they got a modern fire installed. A bit of a difference from my parents' house where we had 3 indoor loos.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

Do you wow your young lady friends with all these talks of the good old days?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

I used to shovel the coal into my grandparents fire in their council house when I was between 5 and 10 years old. But they did have one indoor lavatory as well as an outside one. That was in the late 80s / early 90s. In about 1992 they got a modern fire installed. A bit of a difference from my parents' house where we had 3 indoor loos.
    Of course these days having a real fire adds £50k to the price of any house.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    RobD said:

I believe they are independent bodies, the EU hasn't absorbed them quite yet.

Norway includes payments to them in their payments to the EU line.
  • Options

SeanT said:

..... whilst eating thee Hovis sandwiches?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    Who's watching this prime time edition of Question Time? I'm confused about what Nick Clegg is saying. He says the EU won't demand money for after we've left, they just want us to settle up before we leave. But we're leaving in two years, so why are they demanding 50bn? That's five year's worth of contributions not two.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    tlg86 said:

Who's watching this prime time edition of Question Time? I'm confused about what Nick Clegg is saying. He says the EU won't demand money for after we've left, they just want us to settle up before we leave. But we're leaving in two years, so why are they demanding 50bn? That's five year's worth of contributions not two.

Seems Nick Clegg would willingly roll over for the EU.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I would rather watch the terrible trio of Farage, Campbell and Morgan on repeat for 90 mins than watch QT special.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Seems Nick Clegg would willingly roll over for the EU.
    The Remainers are treading a fine line here. By all means they have a right to argue in favour of erring on the side of securing access to the single market, for example. But if they start arguing things which are blatantly bollocks they will be seen as the enemy within.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    tlg86 said:

£50bn is probably just an opening gambit on the EU's part (so that they can present it as a "compromise" when they present a much lower bill to Britain).

What's more worrying is that, all the signs are Theresa May is probably going to end up saying "we won't pay a penny" on principle, which will mean no deal.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    The tricky part is not the money but EU citizens' rights, given that May intends to start negotiations by holding 5 million of them hostage.
  • Options

The tricky part is not the money but EU citizens' rights, given that May intends to start negotiations by holding 5 million of them hostage.

I agree that there should be the utmost urgency on sorting out a deal for both EU citizens here, and British citizens in the EU, but saying holding them hostage is way over the top.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Well, only until the EU stops holding our Brits abroad hostage...
  • Options

Ah, but they can do what they want according to Nick Clegg because "they didn't pick the fight."
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Ah, but they can do what they want according to Nick Clegg because "they didn't pick the fight."
    That man is such a ....former Deputy Prime Minister
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    There were street marches in Madrid regarding this at the weekend but Barnier and the EU are virtually mirroring our stance in their latest rhetoric.

It will turn out to be another thing where people have thrown themselves into a tizz while the likely and sensible solution was always in sight.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    calum said:

Even May has said some of the powers taken back from the EU will be devolved to Scotland
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758
    tlg86 said:

There was something about this in the Dutch newspaper de Volkskrant. EU negotiators claim to be on very strong ground legally. Seemingly, a deal was done at the request of the British back in 2014 to defer payments to the budget in return for agreeing to the programme. At least part of the €60 billion is the arrears that have accumulated.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

I'm watching, it for a short time probably.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    What a dreary oaf that Starmer fella is. Wooden doesn't begin to describe him.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Hasn't she said repeatedly she wants a rapid deal on that issue? Shame she couldn't get one earlier as the EU refused to talk about it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

I would have thought parsecs refer to how much "angle" the object covers.

The parsec is useful because it can be used in direct measurement. If star shows an annual parallax of 0.2 arcsecs then it is 1 / 0.2 = 5 parsecs away

I see. Trigonometry. But surely a star very, very far away even after 6 months will not reveal much movement, or am I wrong ?
    The amount of movement is indeed very small, but is measurable. The Kepler satellite was able to make these measurements to discover planets of nearby stars.

Also, see the Hipparcos satellite which determined the distances of the nearest 100,000 stars using this method

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipparcos
    From memory, there are several main mechanisms to detect an exoplanet:
    1) 'wobble' of a star's orbit (the gravitational effect of the planes)
    2) Dimunation of a star's light as a planet passes in front of it. This requires the star and planet to be on the same plane relative to us.
    3) Gravitational lensing (rare, and mostly suitable for very long distances).
    4) Direct imaging; the light reflected from the planet.

Both 1 and 2 are best at detecting larger planets (as they dim the light more, and cause more wobbles). Planet of Earth mass are harder to detect. ISTR some planets have been detected by both 1 and 2, which is reasonable confirmation of the techniques. 3 is just weird. :)
    For 4, it has primarily been measuring the flux emitted by the planets themselves, they are too far away from their host star for reflected light.
    Thanks. IANAE. Just an interested observer. :)
    New space telescopes such as WFIRST will be looking for reflected light planets - the goal for those is to search for earth like planets. Currently direct imaging is focussed on looking for Jupiter-like planets which are still warm from their formation (~1000K compared to Jupiter's ~100K).
    Just as long as they don't get them this early:
    https://public.nrao.edu/static/pr/planet-formation-alma.html

(That's one of my favourite astronomy images)
    Yes, very nice, and shows just how awesome ALMA is (thank God we aren't leaving ESA/ESO!)
    I'm afraid HYUFD has spoken, and apparently there is no possibility we will pay to be members of any EU administered bodies.
    When did I ever say that? Don't presume things I have never stated
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited March 2017
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Norway is not a member of ESO. What involvement it has with ESO will be in research funded through, among others streams, the EU's Horizon 2020 programme which it is a member of and does pay into.
  • Options

I agree that there should be the utmost urgency on sorting out a deal for both EU citizens here, and British citizens in the EU, but saying holding them hostage is way over the top.
    It seems my point was too subtle. I was referring to her attitude to Scotland.
  • Options
    Jason said:

Yes - if he gets the top job in Labour, he's going to make Theresa May look like Captain Excitement....
  • Options
    FF43 said:

tlg86 said:

There was something about this in the Dutch newspaper de Volkskrant. EU negotiators claim to be on very strong ground legally. Seemingly, a deal was done at the request of the British back in 2014 to defer payments to the budget in return for agreeing to the programme. At least part of the €60 billion is the arrears that have accumulated.

The latest budget expires in 2020.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

tlg86 said:

Presumably that shows up in our public accounts? And if that is the case, once May agrees to a figure, she should make sure everyone is clear that we're paying Osborne's debts!
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

calum said:

I cannot see Indyref2 this side of the next general election in 2020. Theresa May has said not now and nothing is going to change her mind. Indeed I would suspect neither the HOC or HOL would pass the legislation at this time.

I believe that Nicola has embarked on an unnecessary high stakes gamble that if anything makes independence less likely than more likely

Maybe some on here will disagree with me but TM is willing to take the flak if necessary and probably that is as a result of talks with the Scots Unionist parties and focus groups that have shown a majority of Scots do not want this referendum now
    As far as TM & the Scots Unionists parties are concerned there will never be a good time to hold Indyref2 - the headlines from 2009 were a virtual re run of many recent headlines:

http://wingsoverscotland.com/the-same-old-songs-again/#more-93143

I think SLAB's commitment to the "Unionist cause" this time around will be less than wholehearted ! - particularly as we seem set for a generation of Tory rule - with only one possible escape route !!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758
    tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

tlg86 said:

Presumably that shows up in our public accounts? And if that is the case, once May agrees to a figure, she should make sure everyone is clear that we're paying Osborne's debts!
    Good question. I am guessing it doesn't show as a liability on the account because the assumption was that the UK would continue membership of the EU and the back payments would be absorbed by the membership fee that applies in a future year.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

tlg86 said:

Good question. I am guessing it doesn't show as a liability on the account because the assumption was that the UK would continue membership of the EU and the back payments would be absorbed by the membership fee that applies in a future year.
    Hmm, I wonder how the markets would react if it turns out we've been massaging the debt figures by deferring EU contributions?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited March 2017

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Norway is not a member of ESO. What involvement it has with ESO will be in research funded through, among others streams, the EU's Horizon 2020 programme which it is a member of and does pay into.
    Correct.

ESO, ESA & CERN have nothing to do with the EU. Whether a country is a member depends on whether it wishes to pay the subscription fee, and that depends on whether a country has enough researchers/scientists to make it a worthwhile investment.

Ireland, for example is only a member of ESA. Presumably, there are enough satellite technology companies in Ireland to make it a worthwhile investment. But, there are not enough astronomers or particle physicists to make ESO or CERN worthwhile.

An independent Scotland, if it joined the EU, might (like Ireland) not join ESO or CERN. It may simply not be worth it.
  • Options
    Does anyone believe that this audience voted 52:48 in favour of Leave?
  • Options
    That's the most interesting thing from that poll. I had to check twice when I got the email this afternoon to make sure I was reading it right.
  • Options
    It reads as though there is a back loaded profile to the seven year budget deal.
  • Options

Jason said:

Yes - if he gets the top job in Labour, he's going to make Theresa May look like Captain Excitement....
    I've never seen him smile. Has anyone? There's something very odd about him. I know that's not unusual for a Lefty, but still.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    HYUFD said:

calum said:

Even May has said some of the powers taken back from the EU will be devolved to Scotland
    HYUFD said:

calum said:

A vow, great, where do i sign up.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    Looks like we're reaching black swan time.

https://twitter.com/henrikenderlein/status/846398833747775488
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Tories have a 13% lead.

5...4...3...2...1...Justin Short Straws tells us it isn't all bad for Labour due to precedent set in the rerun of 1928 Scunthorpe parish council elections...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054

(Snip)

An independent Scotland, if it joined the EU, might (like Ireland) not join ESO or CERN. It may simply not be worth it.

That might be a shame, as dark matter might prove to be deep-fried Mars bars, and dark energy the fury of nationalists denied a referendum ...
  • Options

FF43 said:

tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

tlg86 said:

Hmm, I wonder how the markets would react if it turns out we've been massaging the debt figures by deferring EU contributions?
    I thought the contributions were minimal, so presumably it makes little difference to the debt?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    chestnut said:

It reads as though there is a back loaded profile to the seven year budget deal.

So Cameron/Osborne fixed the EU contributions, so it looked like it was lower during the referendum?

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Just watched a VW TV ad for the Golf, music 'I am a passenger', triggered off thought same track used for Toyota Avensis ad in 1998 @Roger might even be impressed I recalled an ad from 19 years ago.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    A bit of post-referendum sifting going on I would have thought.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    @TheScreamingEagles - so much for the embargo! :D
  • Options
    O/T

Has anyone stayed at the Marina Bay Sands hotel in Singapore? On BBC2 now. Amazing infinity pool on the roof.
  • Options
    So more Remain voters think Brexit was the 'right decision' than Leave voters think it was the 'wrong decision'. A swing to Leave then..
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

@TheScreamingEagles - so much for the embargo! :D

Keiran broke his own embargo.

So long as it wasn't me, that's all I care about :lol:
  • Options

chestnut said:

So Cameron/Osborne fixed the EU contributions, so it looked like it was lower during the referendum?

No, they were just taking a leaf out of Gordon Brown's book. Defer payments to a point in time when you'll probably be long gone.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

O/T

Has anyone stayed at the Marina Bay Sands hotel in Singapore? On BBC2 now. Amazing infinity pool on the roof.

Paging SeanT....
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Were they more Remain or Leave?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

No.
    I somehow thought that might be the case...Not sure talking about stocking the old coal fire on tinder does the trick with the nubile Corbynistas....first and foremost because coal is bad, it adds to global warming.
  • Options
    9% of Remain votes think Brexit was the right decision and 9% dont know. So nearly 20% of Remain voters arent sure about remaining in the EU.. I look forward to a thread on this..
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited March 2017
    Jason said:

Jason said:

I've never seen him smile. Has anyone? There's something very odd about him. I know that's not unusual for a Lefty, but still.
    He does come across as the sort of person you would hate to be sat next to on a plane or at a dinner. Maybe he's different in private but he won't be judged on that basis.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

(Snip)

That might be a shame, as dark matter might prove to be deep-fried Mars bars, and dark energy the fury of nationalists denied a referendum ...
    There are some particle physicists in the Universities of Edinburgh and Glasgow, but I’d be surprised if it is enough to justify a Cern subscription fee.

The Higgs boson was of course first hypothesised in Edinburgh.
  • Options

9% of Remain votes think Brexit was the right decision and 9% dont know. So nearly 20% of Remain voters arent sure about remaining in the EU.. I look forward to a thread on this..

I voted Remain by I dare not suffer the same fate as Orpheus...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

(Snip)

That can't be possible as dark energy is finite.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951

Jim Gilmore could only dream of such support.....

Good to see you in these parts.

We're having an article 50 drinks at Truckles on Wednesday 29th March, 6pm, if you fancy it?
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

No.
    I somehow thought that might be the case...Not sure talking about stocking the old coal fire on tinder does the trick with the nubile Corbynistas....first and foremost because coal is bad, it adds to global warming.
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

No.
    What do you wow them with Sean? I'm intrigued. What does it take for a middle aged man to 'attract' a 21 year old?
  • Options
    glw said:

(Snip)

That can't be possible as dark energy is finite.
    However it is repulsive.
  • Options
    Will TSE get banned for breaking the 10.00pm embargo on GfK's poll and thereby stealing OGH's thunder?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

tlg86 said:

What do you think?!
  • Options
    YossariansChildYossariansChild Posts: 536
    edited March 2017

A PB meet-up at a karaoke bar then..
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

tlg86 said:

What do you think?!
    I got distracted from watching the programme so don't know.
  • Options

A bit of post-referendum sifting going on I would have thought.
    So 28% of the voting public would like to see Jeremy Corbyn as our PM? Hhhhmmm.
  • Options

Or Oasis

Having said that I'm a big country fan you're more likely to hear that :)
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Jim Gilmore could only dream of such support.....

Good to see you in these parts.

We're having an article 50 drinks at Truckles on Wednesday 29th March, 6pm, if you fancy it?
    That's very kind alas I'm in East Yorkshire and suffering a bad dose of Depression right now so a social function in London is out i'm afraid. Appreciate the offer though.
  • Options

Tories have a 13% lead.

5...4...3...2...1...Justin Short Straws tells us it isn't all bad for Labour due to precedent set in the rerun of 1928 Scunthorpe parish council elections...
    You Stupid Boy!
  • Options
    It seems that once again May has acted in a high-handed manner while committing strategic gaffes. She badly overrates herself.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/846458583604695040
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Tories have a 13% lead.

You Stupid Boy!
    Sorry did I get the year wrong of the infamous rerun?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

tlg86 said:

What do you think?!
    I'd say it sounds more like 80:20 Remain.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

tlg86 said:

What do you think?!
    I'd say it sounds more like 80:20 Remain.
    That's pretty even-handed for QT.
  • Options

Or Oasis

Having said that I'm a big country fan you're more likely to hear that :)
    "The reasons that I can't stay, don't have a thing to do with being in love
    And I understand that lovin' (the EU) shouldn't have to be this rough
    And you ain't the only one who feels like this world's left you far behind
    I don't know why you gotta be angry all the time."
  • Options
    The only comment I feel inclined to make re- these Voting Intention figures is that the Greens look suspiciously high and the LibDems a bit low.
  • Options
    So if Macron wins will there be a backup world leader liberal leading light to overhype in case the shine wears of Trudeau?
  • Options
    Btw .... in what way is GfK the same as NOP twelve years after the latter last produced a poll? Not only has it changed its name (for the worse imho), but it's doubtless run by different people, including Keiran Pedley by way of an example.
    At one time NOP ruled the roost when it was the house pollster for the Daily Mail.
  • Options

It seems that once again May has acted in a high-handed manner while committing strategic gaffes. She badly overrates herself.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/846458583604695040

She said she'd trigger A50 by March 2017. She's doing to do it.

Unless you're saying she's in the Iraqi Army.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So if Macron wins will there be a backup world leader liberal leading light to overhype in case the shine wears of Trudeau?

Trudeau is just a good-looking over-achiever with the right father. Macron could write himself into the history books.
This discussion has been closed.