Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Politics in a democratic one party state

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Who cares? . It's entertaining watching alt.rightists fighting like Kilkenny cats.

Pocorn time (or its Jacobean equivalent). Dance monkeys, dance.

isam said:

Owen Bennett I would have thought.

Click on the link and it reveals the full story :wink:

If it's not an authorized encyclical by the Great Leader Paul Nuttall I of the Universe and Beyond then frankly I'm not interested.

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

JackW said:

isam said:

"I’m looking forward to seeing what Carswell does next, because surely now everything he stands for has been destroyed.

He can no longer play the ‘I’m a great democrat’ card - because he’s not.

He can no longer argue that politics is a cartel dominated by people who don’t want to give up power - because he is one of them.

He can no longer lambast his fellow politicians for breaking promises made to voters - because he has done the same."

https://twitter.com/owenjbennett/status/846035692824219648

Who wrote the guff in quotation marks ?
    Who cares? . It's entertaining watching alt.rightists fighting like Kilkenny cats.

I'm sure this particular Owen Someone will not be delighted to hear his Huffington blog described as alt-right!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    GeoffM said:

JackW said:

isam said:

"I’m looking forward to seeing what Carswell does next, because surely now everything he stands for has been destroyed.

He can no longer play the ‘I’m a great democrat’ card - because he’s not.

He can no longer argue that politics is a cartel dominated by people who don’t want to give up power - because he is one of them.

He can no longer lambast his fellow politicians for breaking promises made to voters - because he has done the same."

https://twitter.com/owenjbennett/status/846035692824219648

Who wrote the guff in quotation marks ?

I'm sure this particular Owen Someone will not be delighted to hear his Huffington blog described as alt-right!
    These Remoaning lefties love throwing catch all labels about! :lol: :
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    JackW said:

isam said:

Owen Bennett I would have thought.

Click on the link and it reveals the full story :wink:

If it's not an authorized encyclical by the Great Leader Paul Nuttall I of the Universe and Beyond then frankly I'm not interested.

I supose the Jacobean equivalent of popcorn is a tour of Bedlam. Or its equivalent, Mr Banks twitter account.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Floater said:

The chiffchaffs are singing and the clocks have changed but Alastair Meets is still droning about Brexit.

He hates how right wing / anti immigrant this country appears to be.

So - obviously he spends his free time in Hungary.

LOL
    Meeks is visiting his Transylvanian estate to check on the wellbeing of the three refugee families that he has been clandestinely housing and feeding for the past eighteen months.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Floater said:

I see Keir Starmer has proposed six tests...just like the infamous Brown / Balls rules for UK joining Euro...he knows the will not be met.

Interesting positioning by Labour.

By interesting I mean not good for the national interest.
    I think that you mean not good for the Tories. Despite the one party state that is not yet the same as the national interest.
    Will the 6 tests be carved in to a stone and placed in the Lab party HQ garden?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Floater said:

The chiffchaffs are singing and the clocks have changed but Alastair Meets is still droning about Brexit.

LOL
    Meeks is visiting his Transylvanian estate to check on the wellbeing of the three refugee families that he has been clandestinely housing and feeding for the past eighteen months.
    He is the Sir Percy Blakeney de nos jours.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited March 2017

If anyone thinks the EU will not do anything to clear the path for the breakup of the UK they are in for a rude awakening once May delivers her poison pen letter on Wednesday.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15182289.Scotland__could_remain_in_EU_after_Brexit_/

SCOTLAND and Northern Ireland could both remain in the EU pending an independence referendum, according to papers published by a European Parliament committee.

Remain seem to have little more than hoping the UK fragments or there is a God almighty recession.

Spite isn't pretty.

There is the divorce bill I suppose, but the EU budget cycle falls at a very opportune time for Theresa.

The existing settlement expires near enough to the same time as the dissolution of Parliament date in March 2020.

Imagine being daft enough to go into that election promising to reinstate 13bn of UK taxpayers money to Europe. Sure fire losers' policy?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    isam said:
    But but but, they said he was a lone wolf whose motivate we will never know...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited March 2017

Donald Trump seems to have a lot of free time, but is perhaps a bit too plump for tennis.
    Very readable story on what Cameron is doing now. Not without pathos but I've always had a soft spot for tragic heroes (known in the States as 'losers')

(PS. Very readable article Alastair.)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    So what's happening with NI? To an outsider it appears they are all reading old stock responses, going through the motions.
  • Options
    Not sure I totally buy this header in its specifics, but it does seem the case if May can get Brexit as right as she can, she will be set for as long as she wants, but the present dominance is not as assured as it might seem.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329
    edited March 2017
    I knew it was a Meeks thread, just from the headline!

So the Tories run Wales? Scotland? Northern Ireland?
  • Options

They do actually. Not the devolved administrations of each, but they do run them and England as they run the UK.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080

So that's what they mean when they say they're the party of one nation...
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    BigRich said:
    Probably not. But 5 out of 100. FFS.
  • Options

isam said:
    Maybe something entirely different. Why should the two be linked ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So what's happening with NI? To an outsider it appears they are all reading old stock responses, going through the motions.

I'm mystified as to the issue with NI.

It receives such pitifully low numbers of EU settlers that a hard border is unnecessary for migration while the highly probable Canada + trade outcome renders it unneeded for trade..
  • Options
    surbiton said:

BigRich said:
    An increase of infinity percent!
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 709
    surbiton said:

BigRich said:
    #Bankers4Corbyn ?
  • Options
    No time to replace EU agencies before Brexit...

https://twitter.com/lsebrexitvote/status/846084935333097473
  • Options

twitter.com/lsebrexitvote/status/846084935333097473

I've been pointing that out for ages.
  • Options

Nevermind. I'm sure they'll be only too keen to rewrite the treaties for us so we can participate from outside the single market...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010

isam said:
    It is possible the police put that out to try to prevent his accomplices making a break for it.
  • Options

If anyone thinks the EU will not do anything to clear the path for the breakup of the UK they are in for a rude awakening once May delivers her poison pen letter on Wednesday.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15182289.Scotland__could_remain_in_EU_after_Brexit_/

SCOTLAND and Northern Ireland could both remain in the EU pending an independence referendum, according to papers published by a European Parliament committee.

"The European Parliament committee-commissioned report pointed out that Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man had separate arrangements with the EU. The territories, which are British dependencies, are not in the EU, but have access to the Customs Union.

However, the research commissioned by the committee suggested this meant there was scope for Scotland and Northern Ireland to remain in the EU ahead of an independence referendum in the two countries. "
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Though Labour still polled slightly higher in Scotland then than the SNP are now
  • Options

Repeal and replace at leisure as determined by the parliaments of the day?

Hardly news is It? It was announced six months ago.

The europhiles are going to experience a decade of defeat upon defeat as they 'talk Britain down. with each claw back.

The Scottish Indies lost and yet keep winning these devolutionary points. The UK Indies won.

• Options

Firstly neither Scotland nor Northern Ireland want to break away from the UK according to all the polling. Secondly a minor committee of the European Parliament can say what it likes but May will take both Scotland and Northern Ireland out of the EU once the negotiations are completed and will not allow any independence referendum before then
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014

Hmm "Particularly heavily-regulated areas identified in the white paper included gas and electricity trading, road haulage, aviation carrier licensing and broadcasting — the UK is EU’s biggest broadcasting hub." Surely we already have domestic regulatory agencies in all those areas. We could also choose not to regulate industries, other than making them subject to the law
  • Options
    It may come as a surprise to many but I would like Angela Merkel to win. If the results of Saarland looks being in line with exit polls then that would be a good indication for the rest of the year. I think some of the FDP votes went to the CDU. The Greens by not crossing the 5% threshold, of course, denied the left a good number of seats.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

I see Keir Starmer has proposed six tests...just like the infamous Brown / Balls rules for UK joining Euro...he knows the will not be met.

It doesn`t really matter iin the slightest, does it? The Labour Party has already voted with the Conservatives to allow Mrs May to do whatever she likes, without Parliament having any say on the details.

Labour, including Starmer of course, are so pathetic and incompetent that it takes one`s breath away.
  • Options

Hmm "Particularly heavily-regulated areas identified in the white paper included gas and electricity trading, road haulage, aviation carrier licensing and broadcasting — the UK is EU’s biggest broadcasting hub." Surely we already have domestic regulatory agencies in all those areas. We could also choose not to regulate industries, other than making them subject to the law
    I can't speak for the other industries but for those in the broadcast companies, especially the ones that have paid a lot of money for exclusive rights to show films, tv shows, and sports right might have something to say about that.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Firstly neither Scotland nor Northern Ireland want to break away from the UK according to all the polling. Secondly a minor committee of the European Parliament can say what it likes but May will take both Scotland and Northern Ireland out of the EU once the negotiations are completed and will not allow any independence referendum before then
    Indeed. A Dictator May could do that.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,161
    HYUFD said:

Though Labour still polled slightly higher in Scotland then than the SNP are now
    You mean the party of enthusiastic devolution was polling slightly higher in Scotland then than the SNP are now.

A lesson for sclerotic, reactionary Yoons everywhere.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

The europhiles are going to experience a decade of defeat upon defeat as they 'talk Britain down. with each claw back.

The Scottish Indies lost and yet keep winning these devolutionary points. The UK Indies won.

Should the Great Repeal Bill be re-titled the "Great Union Bill". After all, we are not changing anything.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Any government with an ounce of sense and aspirations to win the next election will focus reform on immigration , public service and welfare access , eurotaxes and recouping a very significant chunk of the money that makes up donations to the EU and Foreign Aid as the priorities to 2020.

No change on the remainder will barely shift a vote.

• Options

I can't speak for the other industries but for those in the broadcast companies, especially the ones that have paid a lot of money for exclusive rights to show films, tv shows, and sports right might have something to say about that.
    Surely it's as simple as allowing grandfather rights to continue broadcast rights across EU+UK for the remainder of the contract, when renegotiated the UK will have to be negotiated separately.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    Can someone familiar with the French election enlighten me as to why Francois Asselineau is consistently being backed down on Betfair?

He is polling around 0.5% and at 120 is the same price as Melenchon who is polling around 14%.

• Options
    Mike, I have been saying this since Kaufman passed away. In fact, with Gorgeous George standing, the task has become easier for the LD's. They should keep on hammering the Brexit card.
  • Options

Surely it's as simple as allowing grandfather rights to continue broadcast rights across EU+UK for the remainder of the contract, when renegotiated the UK will have to be negotiated separately.
    It takes two to tango !
  • Options

So how would that work for say Sky who have the pan-European rights to a few things, some of which have different start and end dates?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

chestnut said:

Should the Great Repeal Bill be re-titled the "Great Union Bill". After all, we are not changing anything.
    Removing the supremacy of the EU changes everything. We get to cherry pick.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

It takes two to tango !
    Why? We can unilaterally decide to continue to honour existing agreements. When they are renegotiated we will obviously be outside the EU so broadcast rights will equally obviously have to be negotiated separately.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Mike, I have been saying this since Kaufman passed away. In fact, with Gorgeous George standing, the task has become easier for the LD's. They should keep on hammering the Brexit card.
    The LDs will perhaps narrowly win the liberal left middle class vote but given a majority of the seat is working class and a third Muslim Labour should scrape home
  • Options
    PClipp said:

It doesn`t really matter iin the slightest, does it? The Labour Party has already voted with the Conservatives to allow Mrs May to do whatever she likes, without Parliament having any say on the details.

Labour, including Starmer of course, are so pathetic and incompetent that it takes one`s breath away.
    Ironically, this is probably the first smart thing Labour has done on this. I credit Starmer.

Labour did not oppose the triggering of A50 because the people voted for it [ BTW, I do not agree with that ]

However, the people did not vote for leaving the Single Market, the Customs union and many, many, Leave campaigners explicitly said that we would NOT leave these arrangements.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

The LDs will perhaps narrowly win the liberal left middle class vote but given a majority of the seat is working class and a third Muslim Labour should scrape home
    You assume the Muslim vote will back Labour. In Bradford West by-election, they did not.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

You mean the party of enthusiastic devolution was polling slightly higher in Scotland then than the SNP are now.

A lesson for sclerotic, reactionary Yoons everywhere.
    I have no problem with devolution, even Quebec style devolution for Scotland, it is just independence I oppose
  • Options

So how would that work for say Sky who have the pan-European rights to a few things, some of which have different start and end dates?
    You are asking intelligent questions. Leavers can't handle that.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

You assume the Muslim vote will back Labour. In Bradford West by-election, they did not.
    Galloway may again win the Muslim vote but he will split the opposition with the LDs allowing Labour to just get enough votes overall to win
  • Options
    I must have crossed 10000 posts by now surely. The meter is not working.
  • Options
    Perhaps the Tartan Army should start booing more of their own fans and they might start qualifying for tournaments again?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I must have crossed 10000 posts by now surely. The meter is not working.

It's trying to encourage you to post more.

[/sarc]
  • Options
    Russia's main opposition leader, Alexei Navalny, has been arrested at an anti-corruption protest he organised in the capital, Moscow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39398305
  • Options
    Oh dear! We missed the Bulgarian elections.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39401129
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    edited March 2017
    ' At the very moment George Osborne was telling the bemused staff of the London Evening Standard last week that his working life in politics had obscured a passionate desire to become a newspaper editor, a familiar figure could be seen in the fresh meat department of the Whole Foods supermarket almost directly underneath the paper’s Kensington newsroom. '

The Whole Foods supermarket in Kensington ???

And there we were thinking that Cameron preferred Morrisons:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/02/04/david-cameron-visits-morrisons-_n_1254186.html

Surely our old friend tim wasn't right in suggesting Cameron's purchase of Sea Bass from Morrisons was all a bit fake ???

We'll be hearing next that Cameron isn't a Guinness drinker.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

"The Socialists had pledged to improve ties with Russia if they were elected."

I am presuming Putin's Fake News minions failed on this.
  • Options

Russia's main opposition leader, Alexei Navalny, has been arrested at an anti-corruption protest he organised in the capital, Moscow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39398305

Well, he was against corruption in Russia. What do you expect ? You cannot go against the national culture.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    surbiton said:

3rd in 4 years so should be another one along shortly.

Sounds as if the Pro EU party beat the pro Russia party.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

' At the very moment George Osborne was telling the bemused staff of the London Evening Standard last week that his working life in politics had obscured a passionate desire to become a newspaper editor, a familiar figure could be seen in the fresh meat department of the Whole Foods supermarket almost directly underneath the paper’s Kensington newsroom. '

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/02/04/david-cameron-visits-morrisons-_n_1254186.html

Surely our old friend tim wasn't right in suggesting Cameron's purchase of Sea Bass from Morrisons was all a bit fake ???

As real as the pint of Guinness Dave drinks every night while watching EastEnders....and of course now he isn't busy with being PM you will find him at every home game of West Villa United...
  • Options

Asking for a friend, perhaps you can tell us where the Whole Foods Market store in Plymstock is?
  • Options
    Floater said:

LOL
    Would rather be a BME person in Britain than in Meeks' Hungary.
  • Options

Asking for a friend, perhaps you can tell us where the Whole Foods Market store in Plymstock is?
    I was going to say, it would have been more belivable if he had been in Waitrose...but then its a bit rough by all accounts...

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/fights-car-parking-spaces-break-waitrose-near/story-28450358-detail/story.html

Chav central B&M sharing car parking with Waitrose....
  • Options
    surbiton said:

He knows as well as I do that the rights in question will be contained in lovingly crafted contracts which are longer than the bible and have force majeure clauses in them covering every conceivable eventuality not excluding the hostile takeover of the world by the crawling chaos Nyarlathotep, and arbitration clauses for when there is a dispute over the effect of the force majeure clause, etc etc etc, and the lawyers will fix things up and life will go on. The question is faux naif rather than intelligent.
  • Options

I was going to say, it would have been more belivable if he had been in Waitrose...but then its a bit rough by all accounts...

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/fights-car-parking-spaces-break-waitrose-near/story-28450358-detail/story.html

Waitrose bought a job lot of stores from a very downmarket chain in the South West whose name escapes me, so all the Waitroses down here are in very C2 D E localities, to the extent that simply going to them feels like burning £20 notes to taunt the poor.
  • Options

Curious that - a bloke who lives in London but who was in Plymouth on business for the day goes into a supermarket in Plymouth to buy sea bass before heading home.

There's lots of business travellers among PBers, I wonder how many buy fresh fish 200 miles from where they live.
  • Options

I believe that Waitrose wasn't open the time when Dave had to slum it in Morrisons.
  • Options
    Apparently, the SPD leader in Saarland held the Shot put record. There is life outside politics.

Dave should go to the gym - not just for photo ops.
  • Options

The article also says Cameron is a bit peeved Osborne is now commanding over a million pounds a year in annual earnings while he got only just over £800 000 for his memoirs (lacking the US appeal of Thatcher and Blair) and is not as attractive as his former number 2 to banks and hedge funds, the most lucrative part of the lecture circuit
  • Options

I believe that Waitrose wasn't open the time when Dave had to slum it in Morrisons.
    I bought my mum's flowers at Waitrose :p
  • Options

Curious that - a bloke who lives in London but who was in Plymouth on business for the day goes into a supermarket in Plymouth to buy sea bass before heading home.

There's lots of business travellers among PBers, I wonder how many buy fresh fish 200 miles from where they live.
    I regularly buy fish/food and take it 50 odd miles, even in the era of 24/7 supermarkets the deli/fish counters close circa 7pm.

I assume with the PM's outriders, PMs doesn't get stuck in traffic.

One of the things that most surprised me about 10 Downing Street, apart from having to hand over my Apple watch to security, that there's not chefs on standby 24/7 for the PM.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Morrisons is a complete mystery to me. What segment of the market do they serve? They ain't cheap, they ain't fancy, they don't have the range of choice of your average Tescos megastore, and they don't open 24hrs.

They always seem to me over priced down market with limited selection and limited opening hours...If somebody came along and said in their business plan that was your target demographic, it doesn't sound like a winner.
  • Options

Morrisons is a complete mystery to me. What segment of the market do they serve? They ain't cheap, they ain't fancy, they don't have the range of choice of your average Tescos megastore, and they don't open 24hrs.

Ooop North, they used to play on their Northern heritage, not like those fancy dan Southern supermarkets.
  • Options

As real as the pint of Guinness Dave drinks every night while watching EastEnders....and of course now he isn't busy with being PM you will find him at every home game of West Villa United...
    The thing is nobody would have given a toss about which team Cameron supported or what he preferred to drink or where he went shopping.

So why he felt the need to pretend to be something he wasn't I don't know.

People will respect someone who is genuine but why would they trust someone politically if they can't be honest about meaningless lifestyle choices on which football team they support or what they like to drink.
  • Options
    With no MPs, aren't they more Observers than Guardians?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Ooop North, they used to play on their Northern heritage, not like those fancy dan Southern supermarkets.
    Yes but now they tried to expand all over.

Also, until really recently they didn't do home delivery either.

It was like they went, ok so what do all the other supermarkets do that people like...cheap prices..nope...opening all hours...nope....home delivery for the infirm and busy families...bugger that twinterweb, it will never catch on.

What about loyalty card boss so we can harvest all our customers data...its more of that nonsense technology lad, we ain't doing that rubbish.
  • Options

I regularly buy fish/food and take it 50 odd miles, even in the era of 24/7 supermarkets the deli/fish counters close circa 7pm.

I assume with the PM's outriders, PMs doesn't get stuck in traffic.

One of the things that most surprised me about 10 Downing Street, apart from having to hand over my Apple watch to security, that there's not chefs on standby 24/7 for the PM.
    Can't they redeploy some of the SPADs into useful work ?
  • Options

It was like they went, ok so what do all the other supermarkets do that people like...cheap prices..nope...opening all hours...nope....home delivery for the infirm and busy families...bugger that.
    When I worked in Leeds, with both Asda and Morrisons HQs nearby, I did remember reading a report that the location of Morrisons supermarkets were ideally situated for those without cars.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Has anyone noticed the standard of service in Superdrug has gone to pot recently?

I went in my local store the other day to buy some extra large condoms, and the girl at the counter had to ask the supervisor where to find them!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,489
    edited March 2017

Can't they redeploy some of the SPADs into useful work ?

If Dave was on PB tonight, he'd tell you that at 10pm on Sundays in Downing Street, he could get GCHQ to listen to Donald Trump's phone calls but he couldn't get a pizza made.
  • Options

The thing is nobody would have given a toss about which team Cameron supported or what he preferred to drink or where he went shopping.

So why he felt the need to pretend to be something he wasn't I don't know.

People will respect someone who is genuine but why would they trust someone politically if they can't be honest about meaningless lifestyle choices on which football team they support or what they like to drink.
    Nothing new in that. Harold Wilson preferred cigars to pipe, but was careful not to be seen smoking them. Maggie had her teeth snd voice fixed. Artificehas always been part of politics.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

LOL
    Exactly Sunil
  • Options

They always seem to me over priced down market with limited selection and limited opening hours...If somebody came along and said in their business plan that was your target demographic, it doesn't sound like a winner.

Morrisons fresh food is meant to be better than standard supermarket equivalent.

But I expect that like with all supermarkets a lot of their customers use it because its the most convenient for them.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Morrisons management....it seems like Tescos have started buying up prime retail locations in busy cities with just the right size units to bypass the restricted opening hours laws, do you think we should get in on that game....

Nah Lad, we are a proppa Northern Supermarket...people can wait for ta food.

5 years passes....right lets get in on this Sunday shopping in cities stuff...oh bugger all the best locations have already been secured by Tesco and Sainsburys...oh well lets just open them in crap locations, I'm sure it will work.
  • Options

It was like they went, ok so what do all the other supermarkets do that people like...cheap prices..nope...opening all hours...nope....home delivery for the infirm and busy families...bugger that.
    When I worked in Leeds, with both Asda and Morrisons HQs nearby, I did remember reading a report that the location of Morrisons supermarkets were ideally situated for those without cars.
    The one in Leicester gets a lot of pedestrian customers, but was a Safeway originally. I prefer Sainsbury's, but Morrissons is better than Tesco or Asda.
  • Options

We've got a Morrisons in Gib. You can't get much more Southern than that!
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

LOL
    Exactly Sunil
    Hungary has a very comprehensive rail network. You are missing out.
  • Options

With no MPs, aren't they more Observers than Guardians?
    In my opinion they have no future other than on the margins. Farage has had his day and the Country needs to look for a consensus going forward and one that UKIP will not provide. Carswell knows this more than most
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Well, for each item, when the end date comes, they have to negotiate with the UK as a separate entity. In any case, I presume the contract states what happens if any country leaves the EU before the termination of the contract. You did put that bit in, didn't you?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,957
    isam said:

Has anyone noticed the standard of service in Superdrug has gone to pot recently?

I went in my local store the other day to buy some extra large condoms, and the girl at the counter had to ask the supervisor where to find them!

I tried Boots, but I couldn't fill 'em.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    "Be positive Guys! Love everyone! Be happy, we won!! I wish all my enemies a lovely weekend!! Breathe, breathe in the air, don't be afraid to care!!!

...BLOCKED YA C*NT!"

https://twitter.com/owenjbennett/status/846104739658027008
  • Options

Floater said:

Floater said:

LOL
    Exactly Sunil
    Hungary has a very comprehensive rail network. You are missing out.
    One travelcard covers the whole country, maybe ?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Seriously Scotland, home ties shouldnt be that bad. Come to Belfast and we'll show you how it goes. I am still scratching my head how we are going so well.

And..hands off our manager.

Two other completely unrelated topics:

Adrian Ajao was not a lone wolf despite police statements. I said it the other night, others were aware of this attack coming, others encouraged. If he was alone, why arrest others (yet another today) and why are his comms considered significant?

As regards the rows over encryption between teh government and certain service providers, its a bit of a hoohaa, I don't know about Whatsapp but certain, apparently secure, messaging systems have already been compromised.

The previous thread re: Trump. People are thinking too narrowly.

1. Trump can be put into a position of near impotency, especially if his cohorts start falling like nine pins. Yes he is all in because this goes up in smoke and he is most likely ruined on every angle you can imagine so he will fight but you can pretty much chop his legs off in practice. and the COmmander in Chief idea in control of the US military idea as somehow changing anything is bullshit. What are they going to do, drive up Pennsylvania Ave with tanks? Won't happen.

2. If you think there wouldnt be the vote to impeach him if what is suspected comes out as having enough evidence, you do not realise how serious the potential charges could be. He couldn't muster The House, where he really did have a firm grip over GOP reps on the new Healthcare bill. If it came to potential charges of co-operating with a foreign state to the detriment of the US political system, you may well find enough people to flip. Remember these guys have just demonstrated they have their own hides to protect.

The Senate would flip tomorrow no doubt if such charges came forward.

NI attempts at devolution: Sinn Fein may remember that its perfectly possible that they won't get the same election result twice. Gerry Adams has no interest in a compromise.

This discussion has been closed.