Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » First polls give the French Presidential debate to Macron and

Comments

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Pong said:

Julian Knight.

Disgruntled former BBC employee-turned MP settling scores.

Going the other way you have James Purnell, MP turned BBC employee, in yesterday's Telegraph writing that the BBC must by law be given top billing on Netflix, Amazon Fire TV, Sky Q and the like. Which is frankly bonkers as a big part of the reason people are using such services is precisely because they find the BBC's output increasingly irrelevant and poor.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054

I miss Dave.

David Cameron: 'I don't have to listen any more to wiretaps of Donald Trump'

Former British prime minister clarifies he was not serious, as he weighs in on US presidency, Brexit and Putin’s bare chest on university speaking tour.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/21/david-cameron-jokes-listening-trump-wiretaps

He did have the occasional good line, and decent delivery.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    edited March 2017
    One exchange between Macron and Le Pen that he clearly won was over Brexit. Le Pen was saying how great it was which he countered by saying that France needs to be extremely 'rigorous' in dealing with the UK.

He comes across much better in the highlights than he did watching it live, mainly because you don't have to see his adrenaline-induced fidgeting during the cut-aways.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,442

What are the odds he will get backing from Jeremy Corbyn?

Even Corbyn isn't that stupid. But you'd assume that he will run on a promise to back JC against the neo-imperialist warmongers in the Labour Party.
    Why is Galloway writing for the Westmonster?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    Fat_Steve said:

George Galloway is standing in the Gorton by election.

That will only add to Labour's woes...and to the gaiety of the nation.
    I have the impression that Gorton is a place where much of the politics is communalist in the South Asian way. Which is the type of politics that George Galloway likes. Makes it interesting. I wonder who he's spoken to.
    He probably only needs to speak to six people to get 25% of the vote....
  • Options
    In all seriousness, Galloway is happy with corbyn as leader isn't he, so what's his pitch? Vote for me, the true corbyn fan, even though if I do he will be under huge pressure for losing an ultra safe seat?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Mr. glw, if that happened, it'd be Pyrrhic. I think people are willing to grandfather in the unusual funding of the BBC, almost as a tradition. But if they try getting special treatment in new media (for example, if they wanted the licence fee extended to cover everyone with a device capable of streaming video) then people would give them pretty short shrift.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,800
    Pulpstar said:

A good day for Northern Ireland, only when those who have embraced entirely peaceful means are in the political process can the country truly move on from its past.

From terrorist to politician to wormfood, we are all equal in the soil.

Comment of the day for me. We need to move on, leaving the hard men behind. Philosophy is our support.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146

No. Just no.

Galloway must lose. I don't want him back in Parliament.
    He will be a wonderful representative for Manchester....
    I would be a wonderful representative for Manchester but you really wouldn't want me as an MP
    You - or Gerald Kaufman......hmmmmmm......
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    Up to a point, Lord Copper, though I fear you've missed a bit out....
  • Options
    Rather than splitting in two with the creation af SDP2 I think maybe Labour should split into multiple irreconcilable parties:
    1. Momentum/commies/SWP/Stop the war/trots and unwashed
    2. Islington luvvies/JK rowling/transgender bathrooms/this is what a feminist looks like
    3. Northern WWC remnant who aren't terribly nation minded
    4. Atom sized Scottish remnant
    5. Public sector client vote
    6. EU loving bit
    7. EU hating bit
    8. Terrorist loving bit
    9. Terrorist hating bit
    10. Blairites
    11. Brownites
    12. Gobshites
    13. Free owl tendency
    14. etc
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    kle4 said:

In all seriousness, Galloway is happy with corbyn as leader isn't he, so what's his pitch? Vote for me, the true corbyn fan, even though if I do he will be under huge pressure for losing an ultra safe seat?

It depends on who Labour select. If Galloway can portray the Labour candidate as a Blairite - and then win - Corbyn can say "we need to be more left wing".
  • Options

No. Just no.

Galloway must lose. I don't want him back in Parliament.
    He will be a wonderful representative for Manchester....
    I would be a wonderful representative for Manchester but you really wouldn't want me as an MP
    You - or Gerald Kaufman......hmmmmmm......
    His fashion choices were far too boring for me.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    edited March 2017

kle4 said:

Roger said:

OT. We must be close to the point where SDP Mark 2 becomes a reality.

Now that we're faced with Watson and McCusky locking horns I can't think of any scenario where Labour could look less attractive to their voters. They'd have two years to get their act together

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39334657

SDP Mark 2 will never happen. Tussling with unite aside, and apparently Watson lacks support on this, everyone still seems religiously devoted to the labour name, even if it represents something they do not and perhaps might not again.those that cannot tough it out seem inclined ed to just give up rather than fight,
    "everyone still seems religiously devoted to the labour name"

Everyone except for the voters ... :)
    You make an interesting point. In 1997 Blair realised even the name was no longer a worthwhile USP so he effectively changed it to NEW Labour.

It's association with OLD Labour and Corbyn has very likely damaged it further. I'm certain any agency tasked with getting Labour back on it's feet would start with a complete rebranding which would inclde the name
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    dr_spyn said:
    one can only think that Corbyn is a fifth columnist dedicated to destroying Labour.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Patrick said:

Rather than splitting in two with the creation af SDP2 I think maybe Labour should split into multiple irreconcilable parties:
    2. Islington luvvies/JK rowling/transgender bathrooms/this is what a feminist looks like
    6. EU loving bit
    7. EU hating bit
    8. Terrorist loving bit
    9. Terrorist hating bit
    10. Blairites
    11. Brownites
    12. Gobshites
    13. Free owl tendency
    14. etc

Bravo :lol:
  • Options

Fat_Steve said:

I have the impression that Gorton is a place where much of the politics is communalist in the South Asian way. Which is the type of politics that George Galloway likes. Makes it interesting. I wonder who he's spoken to.
    He probably only needs to speak to six people to get 25% of the vote....
    Hmm. Dunno. I doubt this comment will go down too well with some of the constituency:

"The “All-Asian short-list” hand-picked by Keith Vaz is just not good enough for the people of Gorton"

• Options

Mr. glw, if that happened, it'd be Pyrrhic. I think people are willing to grandfather in the unusual funding of the BBC, almost as a tradition. But if they try getting special treatment in new media (for example, if they wanted the licence fee extended to cover everyone with a device capable of streaming video) then people would give them pretty short shrift.

The argument seemed to be that if people know about the brilliant BBC programmes, by sticking them on the home screen of alternative services, more people will watch the brilliant BBC programmes. Whereas I suspect that a lot of people are choosing the likes of Netflix precisely because they don't think the BBC programmes are brilliant.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Patrick said:

6. EU loving bit
    7. EU hating bit
    8. Terrorist loving bit
    9. Terrorist hating bit
    10. Blairites
    11. Brownites
    12. Gobshites
    13. Free owl tendency
    14. etc

Bravo :lol:
    :+1:
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,986
    Roger said:

Roger said:

TGOHF said:

@shippersunbound

Lord Tebbit says McGuinness only sought peace because he was a coward and murderer who feared arrest for personally killing people.

I don't think anyone would dispute that Lord Tebbit is entitled to his views on this subject.
    Yes but the evidence doesn't really support him though we can all understand his anger
    Colin Parry, father of the boy killed in the Warrington explosion has a different view to Lord Tebbit.
    As does Kyle Paisley, Ian P’s second son.
    All conflicts have thrown up some heroic figures. Norman Tebbit will never be one of them though no one can deny his right to feel bitter if that's hs choice.
    Would you be any different, in Tebbit's position.
  • Options
    Are Libs worth a punt now in Gorton? Currently 9.8 on BF.

• Options

Yes
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    The populous right being 52% of the population?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

TGOHF said:

@shippersunbound

Lord Tebbit says McGuinness only sought peace because he was a coward and murderer who feared arrest for personally killing people.

I don't think anyone would dispute that Lord Tebbit is entitled to his views on this subject.
    Yes but the evidence doesn't really support him though we can all understand his anger
    Colin Parry, father of the boy killed in the Warrington explosion has a different view to Lord Tebbit.
    As does Kyle Paisley, Ian P’s second son.
    All conflicts have thrown up some heroic figures. Norman Tebbit will never be one of them though no one can deny his right to feel bitter if that's hs choice.
    Would you be any different, in Tebbit's position.
    Mr Tebbit's wife was paralysed from the neck down the night of the Brighton Bomb
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The populous right bring 52% of the population?
    52% of those that voted, not 52% of the population.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    one can only think that Corbyn is a fifth columnist dedicated to destroying Labour.
    Sort of. He is dedicated to destroying a particular version of Labour. The version that is moderate, social democratic, values parliamentary democracy and does crazy stuff like winning elections and using the power to help the poorest.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Still a large proportion are the populous right apparently.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

Ah, time for the traditional 'lib dem punt' which comes every by-election. OGH will be along soon hyping them up...
  • Options

At one level lots of NI Unionists have a grudging respect for Martin McGuinness, though obviously his past still leaves open wounds. The whole IRA campaign was ultimately pointless in the end theirsuccess came through the ballot box not via the armalite.

Personally I'll be concerned to see him go as he was in some ways sincere about making life better in NI. Leaving the reins in Gerry Adams hands is one huge retrograde step.

Adams is worse, because he's much more of a liar and hypocrite.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

kle4 said:

Funny how the losers always assume that the non-voters would break for them.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,071
    kle4 said:

The populous right being 52% of the population?
    Manipulated by covert forces.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Perhaps GCHQ can produce some evidence of Putin's involvement in Brexit and Mrs May can stop Brexit.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,083
    Roger said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

Now that we're faced with Watson and McCusky locking horns I can't think of any scenario where Labour could look less attractive to their voters. They'd have two years to get their act together

SDP Mark 2 will never happen. Tussling with unite aside, and apparently Watson lacks support on this, everyone still seems religiously devoted to the labour name, even if it represents something they do not and perhaps might not again.those that cannot tough it out seem inclined ed to just give up rather than fight,

You make an interesting point. In 1997 Blair realised even the name was no longer a worthwhile USP so he effectively changed it to NEW Labour.

It's association with OLD Labour and Corbyn has very likely damaged it further. I'm certain any agency tasked with getting Labour back on it's feet would start with a complete rebranding which would inclde the name
    It might be too late. I made a BIG mistake before GE 2015 in believing there would be some unwind from the SNP to Scottish Labour. My thinking (*) is that many people vote the same way all their lives, and these core votes are hard to shift. They may make protest votes in locals or even Euros, but in a GE they'll go back.

I was utterly, terribly and hilariously wrong.

The current Scottish polling is terrible for SLabour: they're regressing, and not recovering. The question is whether Labour'll go the same way as SLabour.

If there were to be a split, an important factor will be which side keeps the existing infrastructure and brand.

(*) If it can be classed as such.
  • Options
    King Cole, there are many things said about by the Daily Mail, but I'm not sure covert is one them ;)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

That wasn't my assumption, I was raising a point of pedantry.

Pedantry occasionally rears its head on PB.
  • Options
    This made me laugh re trying to solve problems...

http://www.theonion.com/article/everyone-in-middle-east-given-own-country-in-31700-36484?utm_content=Main&utm_campaign=SF&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing

"...“Given the incredibly complex and volatile sociopolitical landscape throughout the Middle East, a 317,000,000-state solution is the only realistic means of achieving lasting peace,” said U.N. Security Council president Eugène-Richard Gasana, noting that the treaty was reached after lengthy negotiations, which brought together each of the more than 300,000,000 independent factions. “We are pleased to finally come to an agreement that will hopefully stabilize the entire region and adequately satisfy the demands of all parties.”

“We are confident that with every man, woman, and child possessing his or her own autonomous area of sovereignty to run as he or she sees fit, we will avoid many of the conflicts that have plagued this part of the world for centuries and left countless dead,” Gasana added. “This is a bright new future for the Middle East.”

..."As long as everyone respects my borders, there will be no issues,” al-Masry added. “But I am prepared to use force if there are any attempts to destabilize or infringe upon my nation.”

At press time, reports confirmed the outbreak of more than 90,000,000 new wars across the region, with sources estimating the current death toll at approximately 700,000.
  • Options

kle4 said:

If you can't be arsed to vote, be it at a GE, strike ballot or something as earth shatteringly important as the EU referendum, then you don't count. You literally don't count.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,071
    kle4 said:

I miss Dave.

Former British prime minister clarifies he was not serious, as he weighs in on US presidency, Brexit and Putin’s bare chest on university speaking tour.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/21/david-cameron-jokes-listening-trump-wiretaps

That’s a damn’ silly line though, coming from him. What are the odds on it being picked up seriously in some quarters.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited March 2017
    malcolmg said:

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

First unlike Nicola Sturgeon..

I see the grievance machine has a new "insult to Scotland" - May didn't give the Scottish government advance notice of the article 50 date so Mrs McTrump couldn't upstage her thus disrespecting Scotland...
    As we say in Scotland, Sturgeon and her team must bP HQ.

LOL, news from around the cauldron

At one level lots of NI Unionists have a grudging respect for Martin McGuinness, though obviously his past still leaves open wounds. The whole IRA campaign was ultimately pointless in the end theirsuccess came through the ballot box not via the armalite.

Personally I'll be concerned to see him go as he was in some ways sincere about making life better in NI. Leaving the reins in Gerry Adams hands is one huge retrograde step.

Alan, Do you think Westminster would ever hav echanged anything if they had not taken to the armalite , even though it was pointless. There was no hope through democracy.
    I'm with Seamus Mallon on this the GFA is Sunningdale for slow learners

there was no need for the violence as ever the extremes needed to whip up the tension

over 2000 people would be alive today if the slow learners could have been sent to remedial classes
  • Options

kle4 said:

If you can't be arsed to vote, be it at a GE, strike ballot or something as earth shatteringly important as the EU referendum, then you don't count. You literally don't count.
    Indeed, decisions are made by people who show up (and vote)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

JackW said:

Martin McGuinness has died - Sky News

Well, he was by no means Nelson Mandela, but he moved a long, long way from the ‘armed struggle”.
    That N. Ireland has, more or less, peace is due to the fsact that he and Paisley managed to work together so well.
    I think that's the balanced view that most people will take. I met him several times and IMO he was a much more convincing committed peacemaker than Gerry Adams (who has always struck me as primarily a tactician). The armed struggle was always nuts, but it had gone on at different levels forever and the rights and wrongs weren't all one on side. He and Paisley were exactly what was needed at the time.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,039

Martin McGuinness is dead.

Good. Fuck him.

• Options
    edited March 2017

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

That wasn't my assumption, I was raising a point of pedantry.

Pedantry occasionally rears its head on PB.
    Always rears its head,I think you mean.

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Perhaps GCHQ can produce some evidence of Putin's involvement in Brexit and Mrs May can stop Brexit.
    Better be before next Wednesday. The ram has all but touched the wall.
    Sean_F said:

Adams is worse, because he's much more of a liar and hypocrite.
    Good old, never in the ira, Adams.
  • Options
    King Cole, I agree. Cameron should engaged his brain before he opened his mouth.

As a line, it's amusing. As a line from a recent Prime Minister, it's stupid.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    I'm increasingly wondering if Verhofstadt is another Tory sleeper agent deployed to make all oppositions seem at once objectionable and incapable....
  • Options
    That's not actually what Corney said......he said the Kremlin 'would like to see more BREXITs' - he didn't testify that the Kremlin 'backed BREXIT' or 'wanted to destroy the EU'. All of things are possible - maybe even likely - but its not Corney's testimony....
  • Options
    edited March 2017

kle4 said:

I miss Dave.

That’s a damn’ silly line though, coming from him. What are the odds on it being picked up seriously in some quarters.
    Oh please, he even made sure to clarify it was a joke, is he not to be allowed to joke because he's a former PM. The sort who would take that comment seriously are the sort to make stuff up if there's nothing to feed their delusions.

(That said I can well believe gchq would tap someone and lie about it)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    Just looked at Betfair to back the Lib Dems... mistakenly looked at the 'betting wo Labour" market & ended up laying them at 1.12!

Good bet/bad bet?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Galloway standing in Gorton and Labour ripping lumps off each other

Great day, great day.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,921
    isam said:

Just looked at Betfair to back the Lib Dems... mistakenly looked at the 'betting wo Labour" market & ended up laying them at 1.12!

Good bet/bad bet?

I can't see why they are so favoured. They did dreadfully last time - have students really forgiven then for tuition fees?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Martin McGuinness is dead.

Good. Fuck him.

That is the sentiment in my office today.

Top tier of Labour wearing black armbands though
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,738
    Patrick said:

6. EU loving bit
    7. EU hating bit
    8. Terrorist loving bit
    9. Terrorist hating bit
    10. Blairites
    11. Brownites
    12. Gobshites
    13. Free owl tendency
    14. etc

Out of interest, where would you place us PB Labourites in that classification?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I'm increasingly wondering if Verhofstadt is another Tory sleeper agent deployed to make all oppositions seem at once objectionable and incapable....
    I can at least respect him for being honest sometimes - he has said leadership is about crafting and selling a vision to the public rather than merely reflecting the public and following populist policies. The eu did a poor job selling itself, partly because it acted offended it needed to, but he seems clear what he believes and is not covert about it.

• Options
    My favourite McGuinness response

"At a meeting at Hillsborough Castle in Northern Ireland on Monday, Sinn Fein politician Martin McGuinness greeted the Queen by asking if she was well. Her reply? “Well, I’m still alive."
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

isam said:

Good bet/bad bet?

I can't see why they are so favoured. They did dreadfully last time - have students really forgiven then for tuition fees?
    It's the theory. I think the favouring is just because if anyone other than lab is to get it, it would to be them, so as lab are down give it a shot. I think the lab vote will hold up here though.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

isam said:

Good bet/bad bet?

Yeah, i think they have. I've got 2 lads going through Uni, and they're fully loaded up with debt but don't see it as a problem.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

I see the grievance machine has a new "insult to Scotland" - May didn't give the Scottish government advance notice of the article 50 date so Mrs McTrump couldn't upstage her thus disrespecting Scotland...

Alan, Do you think Westminster would ever hav echanged anything if they had not taken to the armalite , even though it was pointless. There was no hope through democracy.

there was no need for the violence as ever the extremes needed to whip up the tension

over 2000 people would be alive today if the slow learners could have been sent to remedial classes
    There are plenty of examples of political reform being achieved by peaceful means in this country, eg enfranchising the working classes and women, or decriminalising homosexuality.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Does anyone really think that Vladimir Putin was unhappy about Brexit? Or is it just that they are annoyed that other people noticed that it enormously helps Russia's foreign policy aims?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

My favourite McGuinness response

"At a meeting at Hillsborough Castle in Northern Ireland on Monday, Sinn Fein politician Martin McGuinness greeted the Queen by asking if she was well. Her reply? “Well, I’m still alive."

Loved that one!

'Old biddy making small talk, or former terrorist taken off at the knees.....'

Could be either...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,462

kle4 said:

In that case only 48% of those wot voted are REMOANERS!

:innocent:
  • Options

Does anyone really think that Vladimir Putin was unhappy about Brexit? Or is it just that they are annoyed that other people noticed that it enormously helps Russia's foreign policy aims?

No he was probably happy about it. It need not help him, if we and the eu remain of similar mind toward him, but as an opportunity I imagine it pleased him.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,462
    Yeah, we were all manipulated into voting for Brexit by the Kremlin's evil Mind-Control Ray!!!

:lol::lol:
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rkrkrk said:

isam said:

Good bet/bad bet?

It's the theory. I think the favouring is just because if anyone other than lab is to get it, it would to be them, so as lab are down give it a shot. I think the lab vote will hold up here though.
    I was on a train passing through Gorton the other day. The view out of the window shouted Labour, not LibDem.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,921
    kle4 said:

rkrkrk said:

isam said:

Good bet/bad bet?

1.12 is Barcelona at home against an eastern European team in the group stage of the champions league.

For me to bet on something at that level of certainty... I'd at least want some polling evidence...
    Plus they came 5th just two years ago!
  • Options
    I think May gets the balance about right:

https://order-order.com/2017/03/21/martin-mcguinness-dead/
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,039

kle4 said:

rkrkrk said:

isam said:

Good bet/bad bet?

I was on a train passing through Gorton the other day. The view out of the window shouted Labour, not LibDem.
    Were there sufficient minarets for it to shout Galloway?
  • Options

kle4 said:

rkrkrk said:

isam said:

Good bet/bad bet?

I've no doubt. The honourable member for Palestine, George Galloway, hopes to change that though.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,672

Which foreign policy aims has it enormously helped? EU resolve in sanctions in Ukraine? Defence of the Baltic States?

I agree he has a strategic interest in weakening the unity of the EU, and you can certainly make a case that Brexit has contributed to that, but I don't see the evidence for "enormously" helped.

Alternatively, you could argue a European Army and more united foreign policy is more like to proceed post-Brexit, and the EU was drastically underfunding its military beforehand.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

I am not so sure about that anymore. For the first time I think a split is possible - though still not likely. The far left's determination to kill off Labour as a party that might ever veer back towards the centre is such that it will never surrender its current leadership control voluntarily and following Lansman's recent revelations it is now clear that McCluskey is not the pragmatist I thought he was. This makes it less likely that Corbyn will be engineered out. If the McDonnell amendment passes and the membership select another far left MP to replace Corbyn, I can't see Labour surviving in its present form. Should there be a split, it will not just involve MPs but some unions too.

I believe Watson is sincere in believing that Labour's future is now at stake. And I think he is right.

It is going to be interesting.

And while all this is happening, the UK has no opposition to hold the government to account, We will all end up paying for that.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

King Cole, I agree. Cameron should engaged his brain before he opened his mouth.

As a line, it's amusing. As a line from a recent Prime Minister, it's stupid.

i don't agree I think its very funny..
  • Options

We know, Alastair, we know. Brexit is horrible.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

His role is to be the EU dickhead, something he's naturally very good at.

If you're a Remainer, you could say he's the pro-EU equivalent of Farage.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    I'm curious where the death of McGuinness will take SinnFein/IRA/Republicans. It seems he was committed to politics but I wonder if there's a danger that less moderate people will now have more influence.

And for the record I couldn't care less he's dead.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    What a prosaic thread header. On World Poetry Day I had hoped this morning's article would be in verse.
  • Options

Roger said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

It might be too late. I made a BIG mistake before GE 2015 in believing there would be some unwind from the SNP to Scottish Labour. My thinking (*) is that many people vote the same way all their lives, and these core votes are hard to shift. They may make protest votes in locals or even Euros, but in a GE they'll go back.

The current Scottish polling is terrible for SLabour: they're regressing, and not recovering. The question is whether Labour'll go the same way as SLabour.

If there were to be a split, an important factor will be which side keeps the existing infrastructure and brand.

What's keeping Labour just about going in England is the lack of an English version of the SNP.

Does anybody think that an English SNP (patriotism mixed with social democracy) would be possible to create? Or is that just 'Blue Labour'?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

rkrkrk said:

isam said:

Good bet/bad bet?

Were there sufficient minarets for it to shout Galloway?
    I could see a church, if that is a guide to voting intention.
  • Options

I'll put you in the second category then.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    Roger said:

A shot across the bows of the Brexit Bashing Corporation:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39335904

From the article.......

"The (72) MPs warned the future of the BBC "will be in doubt" if it is not seen as a impartial broker".

Tory MPs threatening and bullying the BBC ........

Please don't ever change or you might become likeable

Report things in the way that we want or else. Straight out of the Trump and Putin playbook. No surprise.

• Options
    My own impressions from Manchester, that voted Remain, Corbyn really has pissed off the fan base by giving Mrs May a free pass on Brexit.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

Roger said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

One of my relations - now in his 80s - in the last 15 years he's moved support from SLAB to SNP and recently to SCON !!
  • Options

My own impressions from Manchester, that voted Remain, Corbyn really has pissed off the fan base by giving Mrs May a free pass on Brexit.

Gorton has quite a big student population, does it not? It's quite a big test for the Lib Dems given that the Tories and Ukip won't do any good.
  • Options

Which foreign policy aims has it enormously helped? EU resolve in sanctions in Ukraine? Defence of the Baltic States?

I agree he has a strategic interest in weakening the unity of the EU, and you can certainly make a case that Brexit has contributed to that, but I don't see the evidence for "enormously" helped.

Alternatively, you could argue a European Army and more united foreign policy is more like to proceed post-Brexit, and the EU was drastically underfunding its military beforehand.
    But that only works with political unity, and the EU without the UK is significantly weakened in political and military terms. Also from Putin's POV it is disruptive, and whilst the EU and UK are negotiating Brexit - perhaps rancorously - they'll have less resources and time to spend on Russia's actions.

As ever you have to look at what people want. What does Russia (i.e. Putin) want?
  • Options

Roger said:

From the article.......

"The (72) MPs warned the future of the BBC "will be in doubt" if it is not seen as a impartial broker".

Report things in the way that we want or else. Straight out of the Trump and Putin playbook. No surprise.

Because the BBC is completely impartial .........
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Gorton has quite a big student population, does it not? It's quite a big test for the Lib Dems given that the Tories and Ukip won't do any good.
    It does.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Roger said:

I am not so sure about that anymore. For the first time I think a split is possible - though still not likely. The far left's determination to kill off Labour as a party that might ever veer back towards the centre is such that it will never surrender its current leadership control voluntarily and following Lansman's recent revelations it is now clear that McCluskey is not the pragmatist I thought he was. This makes it less likely that Corbyn will be engineered out. If the McDonnell amendment passes and the membership select another far left MP to replace Corbyn, I can't see Labour surviving in its present form. Should there be a split, it will not just involve MPs but some unions too.

I believe Watson is sincere in believing that Labour's future is now at stake. And I think he is right.

It is going to be interesting.

And while all this is happening, the UK has no opposition to hold the government to account, We will all end up paying for that.

Hopefully not.

As for labour, maybe it won't be as bad as it looks, but if it is, those idiots who nominated corbyn to widen the debate, ignoring the intent of the rule they had agreed, have a lot to answer for, though in fairness it would ultimately be the members own fault. If someone opens a door for you it's still your responsibility If you walk through it.
  • Options

If Trump as President forces more Nato members to pay the full 2% that certainly won't help Putin.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, you were far from alone. Indeed, I remember rather regretting not following Mr. Calum's stonkingly good 125/1 tip on Labour seats (or lack thereof) north of the border.

Mr. Rob, it's entirely possible for such a party to exist. Whether it will or not, is another matter.

Mr. Choose, that was my thinking too. McGuinness might also have had more respect from young hotheads because of his own past. Newer politicians who have only been involved in that side of things might have less.

Mr. Root, something can be amusing, but still foolish.
  • Options

You don't think that having Britain at the throats of the rest of the EU (and vice versa) for years to come, arguing introspectively among themselves indefinitely, isn't good for Russia?

ooooooo-kay...

In the meantime, Russian influence in the Balkans in the last few months has grown rapidly.
  • Options

As ever you have to look at what people want. What does Russia (i.e. Putin) want?

Right now Nato is making some quite large deployments to eastern Europe. Putin's not winning.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Roger said:

From the article.......

Because the BBC is completely impartial .........
    It tries, and does not always reach that standard. Moaning snowflakes who almost certainly greet every bit of news about the BBC with 'lets take away the licence fee' no matter how trivial an issue, are poorly placed to make that argument, and undermine genuine criticism when their motivations are usually overtly 'we don't like the reporting'.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262

Does anyone think Putin would be unhappy about Scottish independence?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

If you're a Remainer, you could say he's the pro-EU equivalent of Farage.
    Seems like an apt analogy.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

A good start to beating an enemy is to divide them.
  • Options

I'll put you in the second category then.
    Put me where you want, fella.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

I'm sure he wouldn't.

But it's noteworthy that Britain's Putin-fanboys are found almost exclusively on the unhinged Brexit right. I'm sure that's just a curious coincidence.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

At

There are plenty of examples of political reform being achieved by peaceful means in this country, eg enfranchising the working classes and women, or decriminalising homosexuality.
    My view on this is quite simple: I think Northern Irish Catholics had a genuine grievance at how the province was run in the 1960s (and beforehand) where discrimination and bigotry was rife. They were perfectly justified in campaigning and marching vociferously for their civil rights, and for far-reaching reform. And I believe they would have got it: it was achieved peacefully around the world during that decade, and the decades that followed, not least of which in the United States, and South Africa.

But the terrorist campaign in pursuit of a United Ireland was the worst form of crime. Their objective never commanded majority support in Northern Ireland and it was an anti-democratic attempt to force the issue by the bomb and bullet and force the British to leave. Thousands die (futilely) for it, many horrifically murdered, and many more were maimed or punished. The economy of the province was set back decades.

Whilst one can only breathe a sigh of relief that the murderers and commanders eventually came to the table (when they realised their armed campaign was unwinnable) that does not excuse or forgive any of their actions, for which they deserve - and still deserve - to answer for and I hold them completely accountable for what they did.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, how civil or otherwise the negotiations are depends on the parties negotiating.

Annoying Russia is no argument for staying in the EU.
This discussion has been closed.