Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The search for the answer to Labour’s woes

Comments

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Holy Cats

Sheffield Star
    Over 160 investigations underway into child sexual exploitation in South Yorkshire https://t.co/s6jt1QjPmV https://t.co/ogpo3UX8jV
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    rcs1000 said:

Does anyone know the timeline for Dutch results this evening?

I think it's going to be a very confusing set of results to follow but I don't know the timetable.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited March 2017
    Scott_P said:

What were the figures from 6 months ago? I seem to remember May being more popular than Sturgeon at one point.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited March 2017
    Cyan said:

When the SNP stood with that in their manifesto last year, the Scottish people decided to take their majority away from them. The Scottish government have no mandate for a second referendum. If Sturgeon wants a mandate, let's have a Scottish general election. Polling is showing an even larger majority now against independence than there was in the 2014 referendum. Sturgeon and the SNP are fuller of it than any other major political party in Britain.

The Scottish people are even clever than I thought by agreeing to increase the SNP constituency vote by 1.1% from last time but make sure they were a couple of hundred votes short in key constituencies to prevent a majority.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Scott_P said:
    Scott_P said:

What were the figures from 6 months ago? I seem to remember May being more popular than Sturgeon at one point.
    Good Job question is not the Same as Favourable/Unfavourable

Back in September last year Ipsos Mori asked "Good Job" and May and Davidson beat Sturgeon but Survation asked "Favorable/Unfavourable" image identical polling period poll and Sturgeon easily beat Davidson.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Well it's nice to see someone acknowledging that no deal is bad for the EU too.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,233
    HYUFD said:

Jeremy knocking on doors in Islington every week (and I am far from convinced that he does, by the way - I was born and brought up in the constituency next door, and also lived in Islington North, and I don't know anyone who has ever met him - anecdote, yes, but one based on close to 40 years of him being an MP) merely means that he is talking to a lot of people who already agree with him.

The road back for Labour is a very long one, whoever the leader is. But the idea that Labour is uniquely struggling with the modern world, how it works and how to deliver significant beneficial change to ordinary voters is a bit far-fetched. Currently, we are leaving the European Union on the back of advocacy from a group of wealthy Tory cabinet ministers and MPs who want to revive the royal yacht Britannia, bring back grammar schools while depriving other state schools of money and who believe that Europe should lie down and give us everything that we want in the Brexit negotiations.

The perspectives of people such as Boris, Fox, Davies, Leadsom and May are a very long way from reality and show little evidence of having developed to meet the challenges of this ever-shrinking, extremely interconnected world. Instead, like Corbyn, they hark back to a time that has long gone - if it ever existed - but unlike him they do it happily and enthusiastically waving a Union Jack, so the are always going to beat him. They are extremely lucky to be up against someone like Jeremy, who combines rank incompetence with electoral toxicity.

eek said:

snip

But surely the whole point of Indyref2 is that Scotland is being "forced out of the EU against its will"?

Yep but the other option is to willingly leave both the EU and the rUK at the same time instead.. Unless Scotland find a way to stop Spain vetoing any approach
    I love the way leaver unionists cling to Spain like a liferaft. If Germany and France and the rest of the EU want this to happen, Spain will be bought off. However, it's going to be all about high politics - how far the Brexiters piss off Europe with their demands for cake and the facility to eat it.
    We actually have a Remainer, May, leading the UK negotiations not a Brexiter even if they also form part of the team
    May is no longer a remainer. And just like Corbyn, I'm not convinced she ever was. May just blows in the political wind. I doubt she's had an original thought in her life.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    edited March 2017
    MikeL said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Britain Elects‏ @britainelects 12m12 minutes ago
    More
    Scottish independence poll:

Yes: 47% (-)
    No: 53% (-)

(via Survation / taken post-FM's speech)
    Chgs. (or no chgs.) w/ Sep 2016.

Makes me nervous after the fervour and optimism of a campaign gets underway at some point. Project fear is a real thing, but it doesn't mean it isn't reasonable to point out some fears, but it won't be as effective next time, and yes starts from a higher base.
    Surely Project Fear will be more potent this time due to collapse in the oil price and increase in Scottish deficit.

The best tactic last time was Gordon Brown frightening people that Scottish Government would have to cut the state pension.

Next time the No Campaign will say:

"Huge deficit = Savage cuts to state pension and tax credits"

"Not Mickey Mouse tinkering - life changing stuff"

Galloway called it "Austerity Plus Plus" last time - this time they'll say it'll be miles worse than even that.
    Project fear will be more justified than ever, but it will be less effective. Core indy support accepts some pain is worth the longer term benefit of independence, and all they need is a few more to not believe the warnings or prepared to accept the pain for what might be the last chance for many.

Ironically the failure of the Brexit vote to Immediatly lead to trouble might reassure some about sindy consequences.
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642

HYUFD said:

Jeremy knocking on doors in Islington every week (and I am far from convinced that he does, by the way - I was born and brought up in the constituency next door, and also lived in Islington North, and I don't know anyone who has ever met him - anecdote, yes, but one based on close to 40 years of him being an MP) merely means that he is talking to a lot of people who already agree with him.

The road back for Labour is a very long one, whoever the leader is. But the idea that Labour is uniquely struggling with the modern world, how it works and how to deliver significant beneficial change to ordinary voters is a bit far-fetched. Currently, we are leaving the European Union on the back of advocacy from a group of wealthy Tory cabinet ministers and MPs who want to revive the royal yacht Britannia, bring back grammar schools while depriving other state schools of money and who believe that Europe should lie down and give us everything that we want in the Brexit negotiations.

The perspectives of people such as Boris, Fox, Davies, Leadsom and May are a very long way from reality and show little evidence of having developed to meet the challenges of this ever-shrinking, extremely interconnected world. Instead, like Corbyn, they hark back to a time that has long gone - if it ever existed - but unlike him they do it happily and enthusiastically waving a Union Jack, so the are always going to beat him. They are extremely lucky to be up against someone like Jeremy, who combines rank incompetence with electoral toxicity.

eek said:

snip

But surely the whole point of Indyref2 is that Scotland is being "forced out of the EU against its will"?

Yep but the other option is to willingly leave both the EU and the rUK at the same time instead.. Unless Scotland find a way to stop Spain vetoing any approach
    I love the way leaver unionists cling to Spain like a liferaft. If Germany and France and the rest of the EU want this to happen, Spain will be bought off. However, it's going to be all about high politics - how far the Brexiters piss off Europe with their demands for cake and the facility to eat it.
    We actually have a Remainer, May, leading the UK negotiations not a Brexiter even if they also form part of the team
    May is no longer a remainer. And just like Corbyn, I'm not convinced she ever was. May just blows in the political wind. I doubt she's had an original thought in her life.
    Indeed Theresa Corbyn is a sponge for the views of others, she has none of her own.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    tlg86 said:

Well it's nice to see someone acknowledging that no deal is bad for the EU too.
    Tusk comes across as the pragmatist among the EU office holders. He'll want a deal that's mutually beneficial and understands the need to trade.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,233
    stodge said:

Morning all :)

Moving away from the irrelevant trivialities that are the Dutch election, Scottish independence and Leicester City football club to the main business of the day but before that..

I would respectfully draw the Moderators' attention to the deeply offensive and patronising posts yesterday from one Pulpstar of this parish who, despite being told certain suggested horses were not to be backed, put £105 of his hard earned on a Lucky 15 and then spent the afternoon complaining about their lack of success.

As I was, to my knowledge, the only member of this so-called betting forum to put his gonads above the parapet with some thoughts on day one of the Cheltenham Festival, I feel my selections deserved more respect. You can denigrate my politics but I draw the line at denigrating my horse racing knowledge.

If Pulpstar could be banned until there is a Lib Dem majority in the Commons or until he issues a suitably fulsome apology, I would be obliged.

That unpleasantness aside...

Day 2 of Cheltenham beckons and drying ground in the Cotswolds isn't going to make finding the winners any easier. My suggestions for the Grade 1 events as follows (odds at time of writing with Hills):

1.30: MESSIRE DES OBEAUX - (10/1) - fielding against the top two in the market.
    2.10: WHISPER (6/1) - stable in form and has won twice over course if not distance
    3.30: GOD'S OWN (12/1) - Douvan will win but I'll leave Pulpstar to put his £40,000 down the back of the sofa money on at 1/4.
    5.30: SOMEDAY (8/1) - it's the Bumper, no idea at all. Next Destination looks a big threat at 10s but it's often won by an outsider.

Enjoy the sport - now back to the politics.

I think you'll find I did a preview of the Champion Hurdle Mr Stodge. But more importantly I tipped up 9-2 (at the time) winner Apples Jade.

Todays ew punts are:

Consul de Thaix in the Neptune
    Hawk High in the Coral Cup
    Sausalito Sunrise in the Cross Country
  • Options
    So if I have this correct 48 hours ago Nicola was to join the EU but yesterday realising it was a non starter moved to EAA and now this morning she has decided to go for EFTA.

So Nicola is now on same page as Theresa, Brexit means Brexit and we are leaving in the EU. However unlike TM who says and we will make a success of it, Nicola is all over the place.

The irony of all this is that TM is likely to achieve a deal that is better than Nicola's confusing stance and in the end the need for a referendum will become irrelevant as the stated aims of both TM and Nicola will be the same.

In truth this is the first time Nicola has believed her own hype and seriously miscalculated the politics involved.

It would be interesting if the betting odds on no referendum has narrowed
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

So...twice as many Yes voters as No voters have "switched sides"...(18% of Yes voters no longer support Indy, 9% of No voters do) ..Nicola's cunning plan of driving independence on the back of BREXIT has a wee problem - nearly half of Remain voters (49%) DON'T support independence.....and nearly a third of SNP voters don't support Indy.....but apart from that, it's all going terrrrrrrrribly well.....
    Her Manifesto, which she is apparently seeking to rely upon as a mandate, stated that she would not be seeking a second referendum unless there is clear evidence of a change of views by the Scottish people. It will be interesting to hear how she reconciles that position with these numbers.
    Weren't there two possible justifications given for a second referendum given in the SNP manifesto? I You've (no doubt inadvertently) forgotten to mention the other one. I know how important manifesto commitments are to you Tories!
    "We believe that the Scottish Parliament should have the right to hold another referendum if there is clear and sustained evidence that independence has become the preferred option of a majority of the Scottish people – or if there is a significant and material change in the circumstances that prevailed in 2014, such as Scotland being taken out of the EU against our will."

The second one was based on the premise that we would either stay in or at least rejoin pdq. That appears not to be the case so it is not applicable.

Scotland voted to stay in the EU, the English voted against. That looks very like a material change to me, especially as Scots were pretty much assured during the last referendum that the only way they would be leaving the EU was if they voted for independence.

The SNP told the Scots that if they voted to remain in the U.K. they could be Brexited against their will - and the Scots still voted to remain in the U.K.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736

rcs1000 said:

I think it's going to be a very confusing set of results to follow but I don't know the timetable.
    Polls close at 9pm local time (8pm GMT/London). There is meant to be an exit poll which comes out within 5mins of polls closing which in the past has been pretty accurate (Within 5 seats out of 150). Results then come through from then on - 1st one about 40mins after closing, the remainder through the night. Final (provisional) results should be known tomorrow morning I believe.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    JonathanD said:

Good article that explains why it's stupid to use the poker analogy when talking about Brexit:
    http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/03/14/no-deal-brexit-govt-is-bluffing-with-cards-everyone-can-see
    "This is why the poker metaphor has always been so useless. We cannot bluff in these talks. Europe knows what happens if there is no deal. Everyone knows, even if the government is too deranged and paranoid to plan for it. Europe also knows, for that matter, what our advantages are: We have trade, security and intelligence cooperation, the PR of stable change and some welcome European financial service capacity to use as leverage.

So they know what we want, they know what we have to offer, and they know what the consequences are of the talks ending with no deal. They know everything. Anyone who reads a newspaper does.

Poker is a game based on the notion that you do not know the hand the other players hold. Article 50 is the precise opposite. But those fearful eyes from the Brexit trio tell us that they would likely fail at either poker or Article 50. Our problem is that before they do so, they will gamble away our future."

Yeah but we're going to have a yacht - that will show them.

And it's gonna be a Yuge yacht, the greatest yacht there has ever been and we are going to get the Chinese to pay for it. Then when it docks in Shanghai and Prince Andrew comes bounding down the gangway followed by Liam Fox and Boris Johnson the Chinese will prostrate themselves and give us the world's greatest ever trade deal. You are not gonna believe the trade deal they will give us. It will be immense.

• Options

On topic, Jeremy Corbyn's internal party opponents need to be identifying what they stand for rather than what they are against. Only Lisa Nandy seems to be doing that at present.

Getting rid of Jeremy Corbyn is only going to lead to a sustained improvement in Labour's position if the new leader offers a clear prospectus.

I think that's usually the cause, but sometimes do sone is so bad at the job it gets to a point where in fact anyone would lead to an improvement.
  • Options
    "No to Indyref2" petition sails past 100,000:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/180642
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

So...twice as many Yes voters as No voters have "switched sides"...(18% of Yes voters no longer support Indy, 9% of No voters do) ..Nicola's cunning plan of driving independence on the back of BREXIT has a wee problem - nearly half of Remain voters (49%) DON'T support independence.....and nearly a third of SNP voters don't support Indy.....but apart from that, it's all going terrrrrrrrribly well.....
    Her Manifesto, which she is apparently seeking to rely upon as a mandate, stated that she would not be seeking a second referendum unless there is clear evidence of a change of views by the Scottish people. It will be interesting to hear how she reconciles that position with these numbers.
    Weren't there two possible justifications given for a second referendum given in the SNP manifesto? I You've (no doubt inadvertently) forgotten to mention the other one. I know how important manifesto commitments are to you Tories!
    "We believe that the Scottish Parliament should have the right to hold another referendum if there is clear and sustained evidence that independence has become the preferred option of a majority of the Scottish people – or if there is a significant and material change in the circumstances that prevailed in 2014, such as Scotland being taken out of the EU against our will."

The second one was based on the premise that we would either stay in or at least rejoin pdq. That appears not to be the case so it is not applicable.

Scotland voted to stay in the EU, the English voted against. That looks very like a material change to me, especially as Scots were pretty much assured during the last referendum that the only way they would be leaving the EU was if they voted for independence.

The SNP told the Scots that if they voted to remain in the U.K. they could be Brexited against their will - and the Scots still voted to remain in the U.K.
    Yes, because the other side said it wouldn't happen.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

So if I have this correct 48 hours ago Nicola was to join the EU but yesterday realising it was a non starter moved to EAA and now this morning she has decided to go for EFTA.

So Nicola is now on same page as Theresa, Brexit means Brexit and we are leaving in the EU. However unlike TM who says and we will make a success of it, Nicola is all over the place.

The irony of all this is that TM is likely to achieve a deal that is better than Nicola's confusing stance and in the end the need for a referendum will become irrelevant as the stated aims of both TM and Nicola will be the same.

In truth this is the first time Nicola has believed her own hype and seriously miscalculated the politics involved.

Betfair's market is for "Referendum before 1/1/19" Currently 3.3 yes 1.38
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/#/politics/event/28051211/market?marketId=1.125371039

Not sure there's any value there.
  • Options

Can we not hold the poll this year and get it over with? I don't think i can take years of this.

With you there.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

snip

Indeed Theresa Corbyn is a sponge for the views of others, she has none of her own.
    That's just what the Police Federation, Gary McKinnon and President Obama said.....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164

HYUFD said:

eek said:

snip

The country are no longer Remainers after 17 million voted Leave so by definition the Prime Minister cannot now be a Remainer but she is not a hard-core Brexiteer in the Farage, IDS, Fox or Bone mould either
  • Options
    Lennon said:

rcs1000 said:

Polls close at 9pm local time (8pm GMT/London). There is meant to be an exit poll which comes out within 5mins of polls closing which in the past has been pretty accurate (Within 5 seats out of 150). Results then come through from then on - 1st one about 40mins after closing, the remainder through the night. Final (provisional) results should be known tomorrow morning I believe.
    Is it not the case that counting was done electronically last time, but will be done manually tonight? If so, we can probably expect the results to take a little longer than usual.
  • Options
    So Mrs McTrump didn't Trump Mrs May after all...
  • Options
    Wee Jimmy Krankie looking like a right numpty this morning. You'd need a heart of stone not to laugh.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894

I think you'll find I did a preview of the Champion Hurdle Mr Stodge. But more importantly I tipped up 9-2 (at the time) winner Apples Jade.

Todays ew punts are:

Consul de Thaix in the Neptune
    Hawk High in the Coral Cup
    Sausalito Sunrise in the Cross Country

Apologies, Mr former dual Champion Hurdler and may I say your battle with Night Nurse at Aintree in 1977 ranks as one of the great hurdle races of all time in my view.

I had a busy day yesterday and I simply couldn't plough through all the threads and comments. I thought APPLE'S JADE was done with approaching the last but neither of the Mullins horses quite got home I thought. Ruby sat as long as he could on LIMINI but she didn't find much when let down and I wonder if VROUM VROUM NAG will head for the stayers' next year.

I think those who stuck with LABAIK at 25/1 deserve a medal. He won the Royal Bond and on that had every chance - the cynic in me thinks he did a nice bit of racecourse work last time to get him fully fit and there was a plan to ensure he jumped properly yesterday. Again, that's me being cynical - I wouldn't have taken 25s with OGH's money, let alone Pulpstar's or Charles' millions or Robert's millions or Brewster's Millions.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

snip

The country are no longer Remainers after 17 million voted Leave so by definition the Prime Minister cannot now be a Remainer but she is not a hard-core Brexiteer in the Farage, IDS, Fox or Bone mould either
    Could have fooled me. She has the zeal of the converted. And not just in the sense of getting on and making the best job of implementing the referendum, she reacts with the same hostility and dismissiveness toward questioning.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261

If only there was a way that people who frequent a political betting forum could check odds on political betting.

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics

The answer is that the odds on Scotland voting for indy by 2024 (4/6) and a referendum to take place by the end of 2020 (4/7) have both shortened.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

"No to Indyref2" petition sails past 100,000:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/180642

I thought we were all susmissive of virtue signalling petitioners?

So Mrs McTrump didn't Trump Mrs May after all...
    The sindy debate will run for years once again - trumping her on one day hardly matters
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Murdo Fraser
    100,000 signatures in 1 day. The map is fascinating too... https://t.co/MZslNTbKly

"Another Scottish independence referendum should not be allowed to happen
    We in Scotland are fed up of persecution by the SNP leader who is solely intent on getting independence at any cost. As a result, Scotland is suffering hugely
  • Options
    edited March 2017

JonathanD said:

Good article that explains why it's stupid to use the poker analogy when talking about Brexit:
    http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/03/14/no-deal-brexit-govt-is-bluffing-with-cards-everyone-can-see
    "This is why the poker metaphor has always been so useless. We cannot bluff in these talks. Europe knows what happens if there is no deal. Everyone knows, even if the government is too deranged and paranoid to plan for it. Europe also knows, for that matter, what our advantages are: We have trade, security and intelligence cooperation, the PR of stable change and some welcome European financial service capacity to use as leverage.

So they know what we want, they know what we have to offer, and they know what the consequences are of the talks ending with no deal. They know everything. Anyone who reads a newspaper does.

Poker is a game based on the notion that you do not know the hand the other players hold. Article 50 is the precise opposite. But those fearful eyes from the Brexit trio tell us that they would likely fail at either poker or Article 50. Our problem is that before they do so, they will gamble away our future."

And it's gonna be a Yuge yacht, the greatest yacht there has ever been and we are going to get the Chinese to pay for it. Then when it docks in Shanghai and Prince Andrew comes bounding down the gangway followed by Liam Fox and Boris Johnson the Chinese will prostrate themselves and give us the world's greatest ever trade deal. You are not gonna believe the trade deal they will give us. It will be immense.

Needs at least one 'beautiful' in there to truly capture the spirit ;-)

I was glad to see Liam Fox so happy about the idea of a yacht to help with trade deals. He's such a giving person that it will be nice for the country to be able to give something back to him.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368

DavidL said:

I am 52 and have never been canvassed.

But if an MP knocks on doors in his constituency for an hour every week, has 10 conversations as a result and has been an MP for 40 years that's 20,000 conversations. Given that, I am surprised I do not know anyone who has ever met Corbyn.

I find that weird. I must have been canvassed at least a dozen times, mainly by the SNP. We have had several long conversations whilst I slowly overcame my reservations....

I guess in Scotland it's slightly different as the SNP have been building a nationwide machine and the voting system is much more proportional for the assembly. FPTP encourages neglect.

A friends wife ran into Corbyn walking round Islington last year. They had a good chat and she found him quite personable. I think it's wrong to say he's not visible in 'his' community. Indeed, his whole modus operandi is one of parish councillor.
    Canvassing in Corbyn's patch it was commonplace to meet Tories who voted for him as an approachable, dedicated, unassuming constituency MP who would knock himself out helping people despite having a hugely safe seat. I don't think I've ever met anyone who knows him who actually dislikes him (unlike, say, Scargill or Galloway) - the disputed issue is entirely about suitability to be leader.

Canvassing in General Elections is important for the reasons that Stodge cites, and on the whole people like to have someone call round and feel neglected if a party doesn't boher. It's different in by-elections when people get called a dozen times (especially if they unwisely say they're not sure), and understandably get fed up.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Murdo Fraser
    100,000 signatures in 1 day. The map is fascinating too... https://t.co/MZslNTbKly

We in Scotland are fed up of persecution by the SNP leader who is solely intent on getting independence at any cost. As a result, Scotland is suffering hugely

I find with many of these petitions the general sentiment is good but there's always something in the precise wording which doesn't fit quite right.
  • Options
    Ferfuxsake

David Davis says govt has not done economic assessment of impact of not reaching Brexit deal.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

snip

Could have fooled me. She has the zeal of the converted. And not just in the sense of getting on and making the best job of implementing the referendum, she reacts with the same hostility and dismissiveness toward questioning.
    At the moment her main battle is to force the Remoaners to accept they have lost, once the negotiations start the hardline Brexiteers will end up equally disappointed
  • Options

Ferfuxsake

David Davis says govt has not done economic assessment of impact of not reaching Brexit deal.

Then how can they say it's better than reaching a bad deal? The man's an idiot.
  • Options

Ferfuxsake

To be fair, given how poor our economic forecasts have been, it's probably not worth bothering.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

snip

I love the way leaverit's going to be all about high politics - how far the Brexiters piss off Europe with their demands for cake and the facility to eat it.
    At the moment her main battle is to force the Remoaners to accept they have lost, once the negotiations start the hardline Brexiteers will end up equally disappointed
    Some will, the hardcore are unpleasable, but her rhetoric has been too strongly to the hard position for her to roll back from.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Ferfuxsake

You've only just realised he's an idiot ?

David Davis says "it's not possible to calculate" the economic cost of leaving the Customs Union without a Brexit deal.

David Davis asked whether leaving the EU without a Brexit deal would be a bad thing: "We cannot quantify the outcome."

He adds: "It's not as frightening as some people say". Oh good.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Murdo Fraser

My wife and I have just signed it . The response within Scotland is quite surprising and may be another indicator that Nicola has made her first big mistake, probably pushed into it by Salmond
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Murdo Fraser

I find with many of these petitions the general sentiment is good but there's always something in the precise wording which doesn't fit quite right.
    Surely no one can doubt that the honest, douce folk of Scotchland are, day in and day out, persecuted by the authoritarian, one party state of the Yestapo and their vile führer.
  • Options
    George's magnificent stewardship of the economy confirmed once again

Yet another PMQs day boost for May on the jobs front. ONS- Unemployment fell by 31,000 to 1.58 million in the three months to Jan
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797

HYUFD said:

eek said:

snip

I don't think that's correct. May has been quite creative in positioning herself to achieve power (and quite unlike Corbyn).
    Whether or not history will judge her quite so adroit in actually governing is a different matter.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    ONS‏Verified account @ONS 3m3 minutes ago
    More

#Unemployment rate (for people aged 16+) 4.7% for Nov-Jan 2017; last time lower was 1975 http://ow.ly/Cb2B309Vibv
  • Options

kle4 said:

Ferfuxsake

David Davis says "it's not possible to calculate" the economic cost of leaving the Customs Union without a Brexit deal.

David Davis asked whether leaving the EU without a Brexit deal would be a bad thing: "We cannot quantify the outcome."

No, we already knew that he was an idiot - there was plenty of Leaver disquiet at his appointment in the first place.

Honestly, there has to be a better way of putting it David - if you cannot quantify it, even badly, then you cannot say it won't be frightening as people say, you're just being a trump about it.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Ferfuxsake

To be fair, given how poor our economic forecasts have been, it's probably not worth bothering.
    Can they not ask Danny Blanchflower his opinion then assume the opposite ?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Ferfuxsake

A fair counterpoint.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    edited March 2017

Ferfuxsake

The threat of no deal is the negotiators best weapon as shown by Tusk referring to it this morning. There is no point in planning for a no deal as this will not happen - the EU do seem to realise that despite all their punishments threats A50 will now happen and they need to strike a deal for the benefit of all
  • Options

kle4 said:

Ferfuxsake

Davie boy better be careful or he might end up causing uncertainty and division.
  • Options
    Have the EU published their report on the impact of no deal ?

• Options

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Murdo Fraser

Surely no one can doubt that the honest, douce folk of Scotchland are, day in and day out, persecuted by the authoritarian, one party state of the Yestapo and their vile führer.
    Yeah, that was kind of the bit that is problematic.

I suppose trouble is you could put together a really well worded one, but therell be several similar and no way to know which will explode in popularity.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727

PlatoSaid said:

Murdo Fraser

My wife and I have just signed it . The response within Scotland is quite surprising and may be another indicator that Nicola has made her first big mistake, probably pushed into it by Salmond
    "We in Scotland are fed up of persecution by the SNP leader" says Big_G_NorthWales and his wife.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

What's that got to do with anything? If they have one or hardly matters as to whether we have one. And even if we don't wAnt to show our hand why admit we don't have one while simultaneous predicting the impact as slight?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    An unimpressive comment by Davis.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Murdo Fraser

"We in Scotland are fed up of persecution by the SNP leader" says Big_G_NorthWales and his wife.
    Lol
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Ferfuxsake

A fair counterpoint.
    But your point was very fair too. Statements like "no deal is better than a bad deal" is very vague and not particularly helpful.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

What's that got to do with anything? If they have one or hardly matters as to whether we have one. And even if we don't wAnt to show our hand why admit we don't have one while simultaneous predicting the impact as slight?
    Well as they are the party that is more likely to block a frictionless trade deal one would hope they would only do so with the full facts in front of them.

• Options

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Murdo Fraser

Well, if you will bring up the Named Person Scheme....
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited March 2017

As a bit of a fan of Nicola I have to agree she has messed this up quite badly.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Ferfuxsake

We know from pre-ref that the long term effect of WTO terms is -6.5% to -9% of GDP from baseline.

The reason for the current government not doing any assessment is fairly obvious.... but I am sure the EU will publish an assessment at some point in the interests of helping the negotiation process along...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    JonathanD said:

If you look at the evidence, having a "royal yacht" is very effective at bolstering trade links. It's better at persuading individual businessmen to sign deals - it hasn't been used for countries for a while - but certainly people who have worked in our various embassies (and competitor embassies) gave regular examples of people they wanted to get through the door who would never accept any invitation until the "Royal Yacht" turned up...
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    On topic, knocking on doors is fine but it's far from a sufficient strategy. No party was a keen on pavement politics as the Lib Dems and look what happened to them. Sure, at the margins, it might have saved one or two MPs - but that's one or two out of 50. In a crisis, a solid, positive local profile is like an effective ship safety system with pumps, bulkheads and water-tight doors - but if there's enough damage, you're still going down. The primary concern should be 'don't hit the bloody iceberg in the first place'.

In fact, the whole problem with the pavement politics strategy, for the Lib Dems as well as for Corbyn, is that it's essentially one that focuses on the individual and diminishes the party brand. That's fine when the brand itself is soft, warm and fuzzy but it also means that it's a lot easier to trash the brand if it doesn't have strong perceptions attached to it in the first place.

One other example, however, of the multiplier effect. I was talking to a Scottish contractor at work the other day who has knowledge of Scottish Labour and mentioned a case of a Labour MP in what had always been a safe Scottish Labour seat taking the timing of the general election as a good opportunity to go on holiday for two weeks while parliament was sitting. Naturally, with such an attitude, previous constituency groundwork had been near-enough non-existent. When he came back, a week from polling day, he asked his agent how things were going. "You've lost", came the reply. That's how you end up with 30%+ swings.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Murdo Fraser

My wife is a Scot with a family tree going back generation - probably more of a Scot then you are
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

More

#Unemployment rate (for people aged 16+) 4.7% for Nov-Jan 2017; last time lower was 1975 http://ow.ly/Cb2B309Vibv

Ha, so no chance of the economy coming up at PMQs then, except for a few softballs from the government backbenches.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426

On topic, knocking on doors is fine but it's far from a sufficient strategy. No party was a keen on pavement politics as the Lib Dems and look what happened to them. Sure, at the margins, it might have saved one or two MPs - but that's one or two out of 50. In a crisis, a solid, positive local profile is like an effective ship safety system with pumps, bulkheads and water-tight doors - but if there's enough damage, you're still going down. The primary concern should be 'don't hit the bloody iceberg in the first place'.

In fact, the whole problem with the pavement politics strategy, for the Lib Dems as well as for Corbyn, is that it's essentially one that focuses on the individual and diminishes the party brand. That's fine when the brand itself is soft, warm and fuzzy but it also means that it's a lot easier to trash the brand if it doesn't have strong perceptions attached to it in the first place.

One other example, however, of the multiplier effect. I was talking to a Scottish contractor at work the other day who has knowledge of Scottish Labour and mentioned a case of a Labour MP in what had always been a safe Scottish Labour seat taking the timing of the general election as a good opportunity to go on holiday for two weeks while parliament was sitting. Naturally, with such an attitude, previous constituency groundwork had been near-enough non-existent. When he came back, a week from polling day, he asked his agent how things were going. "You've lost", came the reply. That's how you end up with 30%+ swings.

Great anecdote!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    JonathanD said:

We know from pre-ref that the long term effect of WTO terms is -6.5% to -9% of GDP from baseline.

A mere flesh wound for the Brexiteers.
  • Options

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Murdo Fraser

Well, if you will bring up the Named Person Scheme....
    Thank goodness TRuthy started the fightback by..er..abstaining on the last NP vote.

Of course the SCon lead council that has implemented the Named Person scheme for the last 5 years will have scrapped it by now, I'm sure. Fight the power!
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Murdo Fraser

Lol
    Why lol - you do show a remarkable ignorance. My wife is a Scot with a lineage of generations so probably more so than you
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426
    One can only imagine the typical doorstep conversations for Labour MPs these days:

"Can I count on your support?"

"No."

"Oh, why's that may I ask?"

"Jeremy Corbyn. Goodbye."

door closes.
  • Options
    Charles said:

JonathanD said:

If you look at the evidence, having a "royal yacht" is very effective at bolstering trade links. It's better at persuading individual businessmen to sign deals - it hasn't been used for countries for a while - but certainly people who have worked in our various embassies (and competitor embassies) gave regular examples of people they wanted to get through the door who would never accept any invitation until the "Royal Yacht" turned up...

The world has moved on.

If the government really thought it was going to benefit UK trade they wouldn't be saying it needed to be privately funded.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    tlg86 said:

Ferfuxsake

That thought did cross my mind, economic forecasters repeating the same guff as last time.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

PlatoSaid said:

Murdo Fraser

Lol
    Why lol - you do show a remarkable ignorance. My wife is a Scot with a lineage of generations so probably more so than you
    Humourless, prickly yoons, always with the blood and soil stuff.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The perspectives of people such as Boris, Fox, Davies, Leadsom and May are a very long way from reality and show little evidence of having developed to meet electoral toxicity.

eek said:

snip

I love the way leaverit's going to be all about high politics - how far the Brexiters piss off Europe with their demands for cake and the facility to eat it.
    Some will, the hardcore are unpleasable, but her rhetoric has been too strongly to the hard position for her to roll back from.
    She has said she will take the UK out of the single market and control free movement which she will do but she is not going to block up the Channel Tunnel and end all immigration from the EU and refuse to make any contributions to the EU during the negotiations either
  • Options
    Mr. D, it's politically difficult with 'austerity' to fund a royal yacht.

Of course, we'd still have one if it weren't for New Labour...
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Murdo Fraser

Lol
    If you insult my wife with an ignorant comment you can expect to get it back in spades
  • Options
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:

More

Ha, so no chance of the economy coming up at PMQs then, except for a few softballs from the government backbenches.
    There might be a line there on pay vs inflation. Not yet but on expectations of a further rise in the latter.
  • Options

Ferfuxsake

If he said he had done one then that would, potentially, weaken our negotiating position. You can be absolutely certain people would be screaming for the report to be released. Sometimes it's better not to ask the question.
  • Options

Mr. D, it's politically difficult with 'austerity' to fund a royal yacht.

Of course, we'd still have one if it weren't for New Labour...

If there was any evidence that it would pay for itself in trade deals then it would be built. That it isn't being publically funded is fairly clear evidence that it's Boris' vanity project rather than of any real use.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

PlatoSaid said:

Murdo Fraser

Lol
    If you insult my wife with an ignorant comment you can expect to get it back in spades
    Lol again.

Haven't a clue who you or your wife are.
    Pompous diddies who use the word lineage deserve getting the piss ripped out of them every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:

More

Corbyn - NHS - war of tractor stats ending with "you can't pay for the NHS without a strong economy"

Farron - will no one think of EU citizens resident in the U.K.

Robertson - why will the PM not concede the SNP's mutually contradictory EU demands?

Tory backbenchers - will the PM agree that everything is wonderful in the best of all possible worlds?

Labour backbenchers - if the PM would put down the baby she is eating....

SNP MPs - FREEDOM!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

PlatoSaid said:

Murdo Fraser

Lol
    I also have a Scottish wife.

I think the Scots take it personally that we so easily steal their women....
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790
    I think Theresa May is literally uninterested in a good deal with the EU (or with Scotland, USA or anyone else). Negotiators need a curiosity about what the other side wants as well as an understanding of the context and dynamics of the negotiation, all of which Mrs May totally lacks.

If you play a game you will probably lose due to a poor hand and/or lack of skill, wise people switch to a playing a different game.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Charles said:

JonathanD said:

If you look at the evidence, having a "royal yacht" is very effective at bolstering trade links. It's better at persuading individual businessmen to sign deals .
    An interesting answer and one that probably reveals a broader disconnect in what people understand by 'trade deals'. Your language suggests that you simply mean trade, which of course we are perfectly free to pursue within the EU. Free trade agreements are something very different and are the stuff of diplomacy.
  • Options
    Mr. D, how could you prove it? You'd need a parallel universe to compare worlds with and without a yacht to see how different (or not) the trade deals were.
  • Options
    Charles said:

JonathanD said:

Yep! Didn't they used to send out written invitiations, with a crest on the top?

Not many people will turn down an invite from the Queen, even if when you arrive you're met by Air Miles Andy and the trade minister. No matter what any of us think of royalty, the Americans, Asians and Arabs absolutely love it!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058

PlatoSaid said:

Murdo Fraser

Lol

There was once a Scots girl who wanted to be my wife. I thought better of the idea.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Charles said:

JonathanD said:

The world has moved on.

If the government really thought it was going to benefit UK trade they wouldn't be saying it needed to be privately funded.
    PR
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Ferfuxsake

Ah, the old Cameron/Osborne Gambit.

You'd think he might have realised how shit that play was.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    FF43 said:

I think Theresa May is literally uninterested in a good deal with the EU (or with Scotland, USA or anyone else).

Why would she be uninterested? Doesn't her future depend on getting a good deal?

• Options

PlatoSaid said:

Murdo Fraser

Lol

I can quite believe that you'd have to steal a woman rather than use the traditional flowers & dinner method.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    GIN1138 said:

FF43 said:

I think Theresa May is literally uninterested in a good deal with the EU (or with Scotland, USA or anyone else).

Why would she be uninterested? Doesn't her future depend on getting a good deal?

Her future depends on blaming someone else for a bad one.
  • Options

Charles said:

JonathanD said:

If you look at the evidence, having a "royal yacht" is very effective at bolstering trade links. It's better at persuading individual businessmen to sign deals .
    An interesting answer and one that probably reveals a broader disconnect in what people understand by 'trade deals'. Your language suggests that you simply mean trade, which of course we are perfectly free to pursue within the EU. Free trade agreements are something very different and are the stuff of diplomacy.
    There's isn't a disconnect. I think I was pretty clear that it is helpful with trade, not with trade agreements. I didn't see Johnson's original comments, but I'm sure he didn't get into the specifics.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Sandpit said:

Lennon said:

rcs1000 said:

Is it not the case that counting was done electronically last time, but will be done manually tonight? If so, we can probably expect the results to take a little longer than usual.
    I would also point out that the exit polls in Spain were wildly, absurdly, insanely wrong.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

FF43 said:

Her future depends on blaming someone else for a bad one.
    Sounds remarkably like Nicola.
This discussion has been closed.