Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tory MP for Thanet South and his agent have been questione

Comments

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    ydoethur said:

glw said:

ydoethur said:

I used to be a member of Plaid Cymru saw what is going on now with Sturgeon at first hand.

Good post.

I have a serious question. Why does Wales, with at least as much nationalistic pride as Scotland, seem less antagonistic towards England? Is it simply that England and Wales have more common history, or is there something fundamentally different between Welsh nationalism and Scottish nationalism?
    There are several possible answers. One is that nobody seriously believes Wales could survive without help from England whereas Scotland clearly could (although it would be hard). Another is that in no part of Wales are you very far from England and that does alter the national dynamic - Bangor is far closer to Chester than to Cardiff. In Scotland by contrast almost all traffic to England is through Edinburgh and Glasgow. Another is that language has always been the key driver of Welshness - although there are many dialects, there are not four distinct languages as there were in Scotland. Languages do not require indexed dead countries to survive. A further point is that Wales was unambiguously conquered - a very long time ago, at that - whereas Scots have always convinced themselves, not entirely accurately, that they were a fully sovereign state swindled out of their rights by the Darien scheme and English bribes. Yet a further point is that 'Wales' was only a united country three times in the past - 1055-1063, 1257-1277, and 1404-1409. At all other times it has been a loose agglomeration of petty lordships mostly held by the English. Scotland was a recognised if hardly a united kingdom for 800 years before 1707.

But don't assume the Welsh are not antagonistic towards England. Some of them can be really quite unpleasant when they put their minds to it, and I say that as a Welshman.
    Thanks. You make a lot of good points about the history. You are right about the unity of Wales having less historic resonance, and of course there was a great deal of Welsh involvement in the history of England.

Still it's interesting that devolution worked (from a Labour Party perspective) in Wales to a large degree, but has been a total disaster from the same perspective in Scotland.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

glw said:

It does not have anything like the nationalistic pride of Scotland though if you put a Welsh rugby shirt on, they have.

Certainly in a sporting context there seems to be more of a friendly rivalry between Wales and England, rather than some real animosity that is the case with Scotland and England. I find it interesting that the nationalism in the two nations has developed quite differently.

Ask Sam Warburton about the friendly rivalry between Wales and England in rugby!

He's English I think; like Luke Charteris and George North. And Henry Pygos and Jim Hamilton, who play for Scotland.
  • Options
    glw said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

ydoethur said:

I used to be a member of Plaid Cymru saw what is going on now with Sturgeon at first hand.

Good post.

I have a serious question. Why does Wales, with at least as much nationalistic pride as Scotland, seem less antagonistic towards England? Is it simply that England and Wales have more common history, or is there something fundamentally different between Welsh nationalism and Scottish nationalism?
    There are several possible answers. One is that nobody seriously believes Wales could survive without help from England whereas Scotland clearly could (although it would be hard). Another is that in no part of Wales are you very far from England and that does alter the national dynamic - Bangor is far closer to Chester than to Cardiff. In Scotland by contrast almost all traffic to England is through Edinburgh and Glasgow. Another is that language has always been the key driver of Welshness - although there are many dialects, there are not four distinct languages as there were in Scotland. Languages do not require indexed dead countries to survive. A further point is that Wales was unambiguously conquered - a very long time ago, at that - whereas Scots have always convinced themselves, not entirely accurately, that they were a fully sovereign state swindled out of their rights by the Darien scheme and English bribes. Yet a further point is that 'Wales' was only a united country three times in the past - 1055-1063, 1257-1277, and 1404-1409. At all other times it has been a loose agglomeration of petty lordships mostly held by the English. Scotland was a recognised if hardly a united kingdom for 800 years before 1707.

But don't assume the Welsh are not antagonistic towards England. Some of them can be really quite unpleasant when they put their minds to it, and I say that as a Welshman.
    Thanks. You make a lot of good points about the history. You are right about the unity of Wales having less historic resonance, and of course there was a great deal of Welsh involvement in the history of England.

Still it's interesting that devolution worked (from a Labour Party perspective) in Wales to a large degree, but has been a total disaster from the same perspective in Scotland.
    Labour are going the same way in Wales
  • Options
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Dixie said:

glw said:

It does not have anything like the nationalistic pride of Scotland though if you put a Welsh rugby shirt on, they have.

Certainly in a sporting context there seems to be more of a friendly rivalry between Wales and England, rather than some real animosity that is the case with Scotland and England. I find it interesting that the nationalism in the two nations has developed quite differently.

Ask Sam Warburton about the friendly rivalry between Wales and England in rugby!

He's English I think; like Luke Charteris and George North. And Henry Pygos and Jim Hamilton, who play for Scotland.
    He was born in England, but he isn't English.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    surbiton said:

glw said:

ydoethur said:

Good post.

South Wales is basically an extension of England. North Wales Is different.
    Greater Liverpool :)
  • Options

glw said:

When I said friendly rivalry I wasn't implying they were plaiting daisies into one another's hair, but I do think there is a qualitative difference between Welsh versus English and Scottish versus English rivalries.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

glw said:

ydoethur said:

Good post.

Greater Liverpool :)
    Greater Manchester more like
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978

Alistair said:

the body of evidence says the SNP have stated they want to stay in the EU, they make the point about the remain vote repeatedly

believe what your party tells you, but no-one else does, this is a shift in position and it ill be taken to task

You do get the Iain Martin article was written about Monday's press conference. Not some magical event that has happened today?

So for you to seize on it as some dramatic shift from Monday to Today is weird.

Looks a very smart move to me. EEA membership allows Scotland to remain in two single markets, so it kills one of the big arguments the No side has.

Unfortunately that is not true. Were Scotland in the EEA and the rest of the rUK outside then Scotland could not be in a single market with the rUK. The best it could have would be a free trade agreement with the rUK but that would still require differentiation of all goods entering Scotland from the rUK as they would not automatically be able to be traded within the rest of the EEA outside of Scotland. A single market arrangement would be impractical.

Fair enough. But, crucially, no need for a hard border; so a much better option than full EU membership.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468

surbiton said:

glw said:

ydoethur said:

Good post.

I do not think the Valleys would agree with you
    Much of the Valleys voted for Devolution, whereas the eastern part of North Wales did not.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_devolution_referendum,_1997#/media/File:Welsh_devolution_referendum,_1997.svg
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited March 2017

nunu said:

If this is accurate, then it makes the proposed referendum even more ludicrous. If the SNP don't even want to be in the EU (necessarily), why then would leaving it be considered just cause for Referendum 2: Refer Harder?

https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/841707831330000897

The half-hearted Indyref Mark 2 offensive has already collapsed in on itself and ground to a halt. A debacle.
    Yes it has. May didn't even say she doesn't want ACCESS to the single market.
    Is this the first big mistake by Nicola
    Yes it is, it will take a bit of time for the media to realise but they will be hammered on this. This sounds to me like she is not sure she wants a ref yet.

and Alistar can say this was always her position but the nuance will be missed by most. people simply read the SNP position is of staying in the E.U. otherwise why call for a second Referundum before Brexit negotiations have started. Yesterday I thought thats it the union is over now.......there is still a chance it survives depening on how hard Brexit is.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited March 2017

ttps://twitter.com/grayinglasgow/status/841712781288177666

"One of the most influential voices in Europe Elmar Brok MEP"

Since when has an MEP been influencial? - What do the European Commissioners say?
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233

Sean_F said:

glw said:

ydoethur said:

Good post.

It does not have anything like the nationalistic pride of Scotland though if you put a Welsh rugby shirt on, they have. Wales is trending right and there is no possibility that it will seek independence. And I have lived in both Countries so I do have experience of the nationalism question in both
    Yet, c.1900 Welsh nationalism was a real force in the Liberal Party.
    And of course in the 60s and 70s many of the Welsh were much more antagonistic toward the English than Scots were (remember the very nasty arson attacks on houses owned by English people). Since then the Welsh seem to have become less anti-English, but Scots much more so.
    It wasn't anti-English antagonism, so much as a desire to preserve a dwindling number of cohesive Welsh-speaking communities from cultural collapse. English speakers need never worry about their language disappearing, though an English person who has seen their fish & chip shop replaced by a Polish supermarket might belatedly understand what the issue was.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,370
    isam said:

If Farage wins Thanet, would he and Carswell have to sit with each other in parliament or can they sit where they like?

They can sit where they like, except on the front benches. By custom, non-Government members sit on the right, but in theory they can plonk themselves down anywhere. They don't need to sit together if they don't want to - never noticed e.g. Dennis Skinner and Tony Blair nestling up to each other.
  • Options
    Kaspar!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149

Since when has an MEP been influencial? - What do the European Commissioners say?
    Well he's chairman of the foreign affairs select committee and a member of Angela Merkel's party so more influential than most.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Is he even the most influential voice in his own house?
  • Options

Spain said no today rumoured to have influenced Nicola's change to EAA
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Political nationalism is much more important to the Scots because they don't have their own language, and therefore culturally they feel insecure. This is not the case in Wales.

Spain provides a perfect parallel; the region with the most widely spoken minority language (Galicia) is happy to give its votes to the centralist Partido Popular, whereas the Basque Country and Catalonia vote for nationalists despite less than half of their people using 'their' languages.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408
    Well apart from the currency, the size of Scotland's deficit, its contributions to the EU, any monies it might receive from the EU, the fishing rights, its border with rUK and any special arrangements there, Schengen, whether any of the opt outs that the UK has achieved would still be applicable etc etc I am sure that is right.
  • Options

Well he's chairman of the foreign affairs select committee and a member of Angela Merkel's party so more influential than most.
    Not more than Spain
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Not if he has a wife.
  • Options

As influential as Nige?
  • Options

Just as I thought. – I’ll wait until Tusk, Juncker or Tajani comment on the subject.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

The strategist behind Merkel's immigration policy ?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,299
    Oh, the banter.

https://twitter.com/J_amesp/status/841757814892707840

I think fucknugget may have been generous.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Kaspar!

This would be an astonishing achievement by Leicester in their first (and probably last) season in the CL.

Edit. Wow. Just wow.
  • Options
    Leicester City.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    Claudio who?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995

Oh, the banter.

twitter.com/J_amesp/status/841757814892707840

The telegraph is all about the click bait these days.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    HaroldO said:

Dixie said:

glw said:

Sam Warburton was born in Cardiff and attended Whitchurch high school at the same time as Gareth Bale.
  • Options

Oh, the banter.

REMOANING Scots to crush?

:lol:
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,023

Alistair said:

the body of evidence says the SNP have stated they want to stay in the EU, they make the point about the remain vote repeatedly

believe what your party tells you, but no-one else does, this is a shift in position and it ill be taken to task

You do get the Iain Martin article was written about Monday's press conference. Not some magical event that has happened today?

Looks a very smart move to me. EEA membership allows Scotland to remain in two single markets, so it kills one of the big arguments the No side has.

Unfortunately that is not true. Were Scotland in the EEA and the rest of the rUK outside then Scotland could not be in a single market with the rUK. The best it could have would be a free trade agreement with the rUK but that would still require differentiation of all goods entering Scotland from the rUK as they would not automatically be able to be traded within the rest of the EEA outside of Scotland. A single market arrangement would be impractical.

Fair enough. But, crucially, no need for a hard border; so a much better option than full EU membership.

Not quite sure how you can say no hard border. If there is a Single Market on one side and a FTA specifically between Scotland and rUK on the other there has to be control of all goods moving across that border to ensure goods do not pass through from outside the Single Market without the proper tariffs being paid. I don't see how this can happen without customs controls at the border. This is what happens with the other non EU EEA members.

The easiest solution is for the whole UK or its constituent parts to join the EEA irrespective of whether Scotland is independent or not. that way it is one issue that is removed from the table.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Oh, the banter.

twitter.com/J_amesp/status/841757814892707840

The telegraph is all about the click bait these days.
    All about that bait, no Hegel.

...I'm wearing my coat.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited March 2017

Said no today which influenced her change which was spelled out in the official policy document in December?

Didn't realise the SNP were capable of time travel.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Said no today which influenced her change which was made in the official policy document in December?

Well they allegedly have the Doctor on their side so I wouldn't rule it out.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    glw said:

ydoethur said:

Good post.

My take is that the Welsh Nationalist movement (Plaid Cymru) polls very well in Welsh-Speaking areas but the 80% of non-Welsh speakers mistrust the fact that if Plaid governed Wales Welsh Speakers would get preferential treatment. In short the language issue is an albatross around the necks of the Nats in Wales. It's certainly not that the Welsh have much more love for the English than the Scots or the Irish!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061

Since when has an MEP been influential? - What do the European Commissioners say?
    Yeah, I have to admit, while I happen to think Scotland would not find it hugely difficult to reenter the EU (though it might still be a few years even so), and accept there are important people I will not have even heard of, it stretches the credibility somewhat, given the number of high profile persons who would be more intimately involved than an MEP, no matter how significant an MEP, that he could possibly be 'one of the most influential in Europe'.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

youre defending and explaining

start there

that's what Sturgeon will be doing
    Yes, I am explaining to an idiot how both words and the linear passage of time work.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    The prospect of Scotland voting to become independent is just to complete the full circle of a journey.
    We only joined the Union because we were nearly bankrupted due to some mis-guided investments in Central America (The Darien scheme) and now it looks like we will leave only to become near bankrupt again...
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    glw said:

HaroldO said:

Only two more years of bickering to go, yay.

it's Indyref - three minimum
    Then the transition period, followed by the unbounded UN peace keeping mission. Sometime around about 2080 or so things might have settled down.
    Scotland is going to end up like Northern Ireland at this rate.
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642
    Hope everyone took my tip to back Leicester to qualify at 4.5. Good evening, all.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,175
    OllyT said:

glw said:

ydoethur said:

Good post.

My take is that the Welsh Nationalist movement (Plaid Cymru) polls very well in Welsh-Speaking areas but the 80% of non-Welsh speakers mistrust the fact that if Plaid governed Wales Welsh Speakers would get preferential treatment. In short the language issue is an albatross around the necks of the Nats in Wales. It's certainly not that the Welsh have much more love for the English than the Scots or the Irish!
    Wales has shared a monarch with England since the 13th century and has been formally united with England and shared a Parliament since the 16th century, Scotland has only shared a monarch with England since the 17th century and a Parliament since the 18th century and Ireland only joined the Union in the 19th century and Northern Ireland only in the 20th century after the Republic left
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Meanwhile, in important footballing news (sorry, Dr Fox), Wimbledon have beaten the Milton Keynes franchise scum 2-0. Not in the wider interests of football, though, apparently.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    OllyT said:

glw said:

ydoethur said:

Good post.

My feeling is that the Welsh understand their situation/size etc, whilst the Scots see themselves as something much more than they are in reality.

Every time I hear the SNP going on about Scotland being "an equal partner" I just laugh in pity. Scotland is not equal to England / the RUK. It is the tenth of the population of England and less than that in terms of GDP.

If the referendum does go their way then they will soon discover their true relative stature when they first negotiate with the RUK and then with the EU.
  • Options

Oh, the banter.

That takes the May as Elizabeth 1st and Sturgeon as Mary Queen of Scots to the extreme
  • Options

OllyT said:

glw said:

ydoethur said:

Good post.

Every time I hear the SNP going on about Scotland being "an equal partner" I just laugh in pity. Scotland is not equal to England / the RUK.

Isn't that their point, that they are not equal partners and never will be so need to be independent?

Personally I think the purpose of the Union should be for each constituent nation to enhance the others, culturally, politically, economically or whatever. Presumably the equal status issue is one reason for suggestions of a federal UK set up wherein there is an upper house with equal numbers from each of the home nations to try to alleviate concerns of English dominance.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Said no today which influenced her change which was spelled out in the official policy document in December?

Various reports today indicated she changed her emphasis following todays report from Spain
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Sandpit said:

Tories have a working majority of 17. There is a simple solution to boost that, support Scottish independence. By my maths that would boost the Tory working majority to 74. That's before any boundary reforms or a potential Corbyn general election.

Why would the 'Conservative and Unionist Party' support the breakup of the Union?
    It doesn't. Doesn't change the fact that Scotland leaving would leave the Conservative and Unionist Party a great inheritance.
    An exaggerated one, Attlee in 1945 and 1950, Wilson in 1966 and October 1974 and Blair in 1997, 2001 and 2005 would all have won a majority or led the largest party even without Scottish votes and of course an independent Scotland means Labour no longer need fear the Tories playing the card that they are in the SNP's pocket, not to mention in 2015 Labour got a significantly higher voteshare in England and Wales than it did in Scotland for the first time
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233
    OllyT said:

glw said:

ydoethur said:

Good post.

The language is a unifying issue among those who speak it, but a divisive one vis-a-vis those who don't. Welsh speakers (+/- 20%) have no hope of political supremacy - their limited objective is cultural survival in a bilingual society. Plaid Cymru tries (with limited success) to distance itself from the language issue in the hope of appealing to English speakers. The Welsh are not particularly antagonistic towards the English, although they will occasionally forget to switch to Anglo-saxon when in the presence of the master race.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

OllyT said:

glw said:

ydoethur said:

Good post.

Every time I hear the SNP going on about Scotland being "an equal partner" I just laugh in pity. Scotland is not equal to England / the RUK.

Isn't that their point, that they are not equal partners and never will be so need to be independent?

Personally I think the purpose of the Union should be for each constituent nation to enhance the others, culturally, politically, economically or whatever. Presumably the equal status issue is one reason for suggestions of a federal UK set up wherein there is an upper house with equal numbers from each of the home nations to try to alleviate concerns of English dominance.
    Exactly, it works for California and Wyoming in the US
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    kle4 said:

OllyT said:

glw said:

ydoethur said:

Good post.

Yeah, I can understand that... so why would they want to be 5 million in a union of 445 million (the EU without England, Wales & Northern Ireland) but not in a union of 65 million?

Scotland as a member state of a federal EU is going to be a much less equal partner than a constituent nation in a highly devolved/federal UK.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I think the Scots Parliament debates over the next two weeks will be popcorn time sceened live to all Scots.
  • Options

kle4 said:

OllyT said:

glw said:

ydoethur said:

Good post.

Yeah, I can understand that... so why would they want to be 5 million in a union of 445 million (the EU without England, Wales & Northern Ireland) but not in a union of 65 million?

Scotland as a member state of a federal EU is going to be a much less equal partner than a constituent nation in a highly devolved/federal UK.
    For a very simple reason. The EU is a confederation whose members are sovereign and the UK is not a federation will never become one by choice.
  • Options

kle4 said:

OllyT said:

glw said:

ydoethur said:

Good post.

I would agree - unhappily, 45% at least, possibly more, despite the long connection with the rest of Britain and its union, seem to feel more a connection with the EU than the rest of us.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

OllyT said:

glw said:

ydoethur said:

Good post.

I would agree - unhappily, 45% at least, possibly more, despite the long connection with the rest of Britain and its union, seem to feel more a connection with the EU than the rest of us.
    EEA not the EU apparently
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    So Brexit does mean Brexit (ie British exit from the EU) even if part of Britain leaves, er, Britain.

The EFTA (ie a Norway-EU relationship) model would work well for Scotland, and I think a UK of England, Wales & NI would be happy with that too as we could easily keep a currency and free travel (outwith Schengen) arrangement across GB.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

HaroldO said:

Dixie said:

glw said:

Sam Warburton was born in Cardiff and attended Whitchurch high school at the same time as Gareth Bale.
    Scott_P said:

More Elmer Thud than anything!
  • Options

kle4 said:

OllyT said:

glw said:

ydoethur said:

Good post.

For a very simple reason. The EU is a confederation whose members are sovereign and the UK is not a federation will never become one by choice.
    The EU won't be a confederation for ever though - it is clearly heading for federation.

If you want an independent Scotland... top tip: don't leave one political union to then join an even larger, more remotely-governed one!
  • Options
    New YouGov Scottish Independence poll for The Times

Yes to Independence 43% (-2)

No to Independence 57% (+2)

Changes since Nov 2016
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525

kle4 said:

OllyT said:

glw said:

ydoethur said:

Good post.

I think that by the time we come the vote the SNP will not be promising to become a member of the EU but rather they would want access to the single market only. This is part to keep the 1/3 of Yes voters who voted leave onside.
    It is difficult to see how the nationalists will be able to give 100% clarity on what the exact relationship Scotland will have the EU until after the Brexit negotiations have finished. So it might be easier for them give clearer answers if the vote happens after the summer of 2019.
  • Options

OllyT said:

glw said:

ydoethur said:

Good post.

My feeling is that the Welsh understand their situation/size etc, whilst the Scots see themselves as something much more than they are in reality.

Every time I hear the SNP going on about Scotland being "an equal partner" I just laugh in pity. Scotland is not equal to England / the RUK. It is the tenth of the population of England and less than that in terms of GDP.
    Sorry, who goes on about it?

Darling: 'Today we are equal partners in the United Kingdom.'
    Davidson: 'The overwhelming majority of Scots believe in the United Kingdom and want to remain part of this 300-year-long equal partnership of prosperity, security, and pride.'
    Lamont: 'It is a union of equals and partnership: not a contractual union or marriage of convenience.'
    May: 'A future in which Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England continue to flourish side-by-side as equal partners.'

• Options

The EU won't be a confederation for ever though - it is clearly heading for federation.

If you want an independent Scotland... top tip: don't leave one political union to then join an even larger, more remotely-governed one!

But no-one except certifiable loons thinks that the EU will ever become a unitary state. A federation is already constitutionally superior to Scotland's current position in the UK.
  • Options

Changes since Nov 2016

Well if that were the result and May successfully completes Brexit she would go down in history as the PM who took the UK out of the EU and ended Scottish independence hopes for a generation if not for good, while Sturgeon would be toast. However a long way to go yet
  • Options

Changes since Nov 2016

Should Scotland get IndyRef(2) Sturgeon will have a mountain to climb. Sample size?
  • Options
    The fieldwork for this poll was March 9th to March 14th inclusive.

So from last Thursday until today.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298

Changes since Nov 2016

FREEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOM....oh wait.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Not shaping up as a good day for the SNP despite all the headlines about how she'd ambushed May yesterday.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

All together now, despite Brexit!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Sleazy broken UKIP on the slide...

The Faragistes are turning to Corbyn...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Queen Theresa 1st reigns supreme!!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/britainelects/status/841779798133334016

5...4...3...2...1...Justin Short Straws tells us with correct weighting that shows labour is on course for a majority in 2020.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Ishmael_Z said:

glw said:

ydoethur said:

Good post.

Because the idea of an independent Wales as a going financial concern is a non-starter? It's Scotland without whisky or oil and with one quarter of the international tourist income. ("London accounts for 54% of all inbound visitor spend, the rest of England 34%, Scotland 8% and Wales 2%" https://www.visitbritain.org/visitor-economy-facts)

I think the shared legal system is important; the Act of Union looks a bit half-hearted because it preserves the Scottish legal system - greedy 18th century Edinburgh lawyers protecting their turf.

And there were 228 arson attacks in Wales starting in 1979 and going on through the eighties, aimed at English second homes, so there's been a fair bit of antagonism in the past.
    See below at 24:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSrNF6bCB5Q
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,106
    Scott_P said:
    Labour brand still strong.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Looks like that disastrous budget has... oh hang on. :D
  • Options
    Tories slump to 17 point lead...
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    HYUFD said:

Oh, the banter.

That takes the May as Elizabeth 1st and Sturgeon as Mary Queen of Scots to the extreme
    May as Elizabeth1st was my idea fiest! Glad to see it has caught on.
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642
    Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Isn't this just a MOE change? I admit it's not great for the SNP, but still.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I was gonna say that! :lol:
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    The worst week since May took over, and the Tories are down to a 17 point lead. If this keeps up they might not get a three figure majority in 2020.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Tories slump to 17 point lead...

It's that progressive majority that I worry about...

Oh, wait...

:-)
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Saudi Arabia launches its first Girls' Council with only men in attendance
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/14/saudi-arabia-launches-first-girls-council-men-stage/
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Course it is, but McSturge gets up my nose!!
  • Options
    glw said:

Scott_P said:
    The worst week since May took over, and the Tories are down to a 17 point lead. If this keeps up they might not get a three figure majority in 2020.
    Well, we will easily get a three-digit majority if Scotland leaves and boundary changes go through... let's see 600 minus 53 Scottish seats minus a load Sein Fein won't take up... about 540 seats in total... only need 270 for a majority! ;)
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited March 2017
    Scott_P said:
    The majority of people polled believed the UK would vote Remain.
  • Options
    @holyroodmandy: Two poor polls for support for independence tomorrow #indyref2

There is apparently one in the Mail as well. No numbers yet
  • Options
    When the mao-mentum nutters accuse everybody being a Tory...It's starting to look like they aren't that far off the mark.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

1pt swing to No since last Yougov.

I'm sure the Brexityoons will now be calling for May to bring it on.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

glw said:

ydoethur said:

Good post.

Because the idea of an independent Wales as a going financial concern is a non-starter? It's Scotland without whisky or oil and with one quarter of the international tourist income. ("London accounts for 54% of all inbound visitor spend, the rest of England 34%, Scotland 8% and Wales 2%" https://www.visitbritain.org/visitor-economy-facts)

I think the shared legal system is important; the Act of Union looks a bit half-hearted because it preserves the Scottish legal system - greedy 18th century Edinburgh lawyers protecting their turf.

And there were 228 arson attacks in Wales starting in 1979 and going on through the eighties, aimed at English second homes, so there's been a fair bit of antagonism in the past.
    See below at 24:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSrNF6bCB5Q
    :D:D

Off the back of this gem of course... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BXXLW52xgQ
This discussion has been closed.