Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tory MP for Thanet South and his agent have been questione

1235»

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,791
    Prof John Curtice, the elections expert who oversaw the survey, said those trends still showed ambivalence among yes voters towards Europe. Some could vote to stay in the UK rather than have independence in the EU, he said, while others might not take part.

“There is a risk that linking independence closely to the idea of staying in the EU could alienate some of those who currently back leaving the UK,” Curtice said.

Jim Sillars, a former SNP deputy leader, who voted leave in last June’s EU referendum, said last week he would abstain from the next independence referendum if Sturgeon insisted on joining the single market.

Sturgeon insisted on Monday that the Scottish National party still believed Scotland’s best interests lay in full EU membership, but she and other senior party figures have made clear they could yet drop that plan in order to win the independence vote.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/15/eurosceptic-views-in-scotland-pose-dilemma-for-nicola-sturgeon
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Britain Elects‏ @britainelects 12m12 minutes ago
    More
    Scottish independence poll:

Yes: 47% (-)
    No: 53% (-)

(via Survation / taken post-FM's speech)
    Chgs. (or no chgs.) w/ Sep 2016.

Makes me nervous after the fervour and optimism of a campaign gets underway at some point. Project fear is a real thing, but it doesn't mean it isn't reasonable to point out some fears, but it won't be as effective next time, and yes starts from a higher base.
    The more optimistic Davidson will be the main spokesperson for No, not Darling and Sturgeon has clearly got no bounce from her speech
    An opposition MSP who's never held executive office gives you more confidence than a former Chancellor of the Exchequer and veteran campaigner?
    She is a more effective campaigner yes as seen by her Holyrood campaign last year, Darling was fine for a Project Fear campaign in 2014 but the next No campaign needs to be more positive
    And what's her positive message? Vote for the Union and continue to enjoy my witty tweets?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,299
    edited March 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

More

Makes me nervous after the fervour and optimism of a campaign gets underway at some point. Project fear is a real thing, but it doesn't mean it isn't reasonable to point out some fears, but it won't be as effective next time, and yes starts from a higher base.
    The more optimistic Davidson will be the main spokesperson for No, not Darling and Sturgeon has clearly got no bounce from her speech
    An opposition MSP who's never held executive office gives you more confidence than a former Chancellor of the Exchequer and veteran campaigner?
    She is a more effective campaigner yes as seen by her Holyrood campaign last year, Darling was fine for a Project Fear campaign in 2014 but the next No campaign needs to be more positive
    And what's her positive message? Vote for the Union and continue to enjoy my witty tweets?
    I'm going to love hearing about Ruthy's journey from telling us that the only way to ensure EU membership was to vote No, through vote Remain in the best interests of Scotland, on to must retain access to the European single market to protect the economy, jobs and public services to her final destination of Tessy Brexit and 3 bags full. It'll be fascinating.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,175

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

More

Our shared history, culture, language, family ties, ties of trade etc Plus she has a more optimistic tone than Darling
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

More

Stay in the 300 year old single market with common language, common currency, open borders and fiscal transfers.....
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/jamin2g/status/841736596093321216

My favourite Zoomer, who lives in Windsor, has also been busy on Twitter today. Joyous, if not really civic in any way...

Thankyou Brian, for fitting in a few minutes of your time to endorse the cause of Scottish independence from your Manhattan Penthouse, I believe they will be switching to hear the views of Sir Sean from the Bahamas shortly after!
    Brian Cox has the weakest handshake I have ever known. It was like being proffered a recently killed herring.
    Don't drop names. Mick Jagger told me that.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

More

I'm going to love hearing about Ruthy's journey from telling us that the only way to ensure EU membership was to vote No, through vote Remain in the best interests of Scotland, on to must retain access to the European single market to protect the economy, jobs and public services to her final destination of Tessy Brexit and 3 bags full. It'll be fascinating.
    Ruthie wont have been the only one on a 'journey'.....shall we take a wee look at the SNP's currency plans......
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

More

Even though Davidson is popular with Scots (her appeal is still a bit of a mystery to me, but for whatever reason it's obviously there), I really doubt she or any other politician can move opinion on her own.

After all, some of the areas which most enthusiastically voted for Gordon Brown's Labour in the 2010 election were often the same places that voted for independence in 2014, despite Brown being probably the most high-profile "No" spokesperson in the last days of the referendum. It will surely be the arguments, and events, that sway how the average Scottish person feels about it; the idea that they'll go along with a particular argument, just because a politician they like is advocating it, is a bit silly.
    It is not the No campaign who needs to move opinion though as tonight's polls show, it is the Yes campaign that needs to do that, No just needs a leader who can appeal to Tory, Labour and LD unionists and keep them on board and Ruth is probably best able to do that
  • Options
    So much for Mrs McTrump's Bute House Bounce:

https://twitter.com/WhatScotsThink/status/841803660560629761
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,318
    edited March 2017
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

More

Surely Project Fear will be more potent this time due to collapse in the oil price and increase in Scottish deficit.

The best tactic last time was Gordon Brown frightening people that Scottish Government would have to cut the state pension.

Next time the No Campaign will say:

"Huge deficit = Savage cuts to state pension and tax credits"

"Not Mickey Mouse tinkering - life changing stuff"

Galloway called it "Austerity Plus Plus" last time - this time they'll say it'll be miles worse than even that.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,297
    edited March 2017
    Apparently trump tax returns arent up to date set of Tax returns. It's his 2005 return.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/841804402952396800
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

More

I think it would suit the Yes campaign to have a Tory as its main opponent. Gordon Brown would be better.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Unfortunately the bear of small brain isn't actually on tw@tter.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148

Not fake poohs?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Not fake poohs?
    I don't believe that tw@tter handle is active and what I presume is a photoshop has a blue check mark by it ie would have to be the genuine rumbly in the tumbly (re)moaner.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Still love the way the image has the blue tick next to his name.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

More

I think it would suit the Yes campaign to have a Tory as its main opponent. Gordon Brown would be better.
    Davidson has better poll ratings in Scotland than Gordon Brown but of course he will be involved too, I doubt Davidson will actually be designated the official No spokesperson but she should participate in the debates against Sturgeon
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited March 2017

Apparently trump tax returns arent up to date set of Tax returns. It's his 2005 return.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/841804402952396800

yes.

The important question is whether someone has the whole shebang - and this is part of a drip drip, or if this is a one off photocopy of a form from some accountants desk or whatever.

It's important because there's £4k available to back "Trump to leave before end of first term" at evens on BF.

I'd rather lay than back that right now - but that calculation could well change if the whole lot is about to be dumped or drip-leaked.

• Options
    Given pooh is a foreign bear, can only be a matter of time before buzzfeed run a story about how he is getting deported.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

More

Davidson has better poll ratings in Scotland than Gordon Brown but of course he will be involved too, I doubt Davidson will actually be designated the official No spokesperson but she should participate in the debates against Sturgeon
    I doubt that there will be a single Better Together Campaign again - Labour will have learnt its lesson from that. Any debates will probably involve contributions from all political parties - and certainly Davidson would represent the Tories.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Elena Cresci‏Verified account @elenacresci

a tweet claiming a Swedish boy was attacked by "Islamic terrorists" for having blue eyes is using a pic of a girl who was attacked by a dog
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    FFS 20 min rant by the presenter about Trump with zero evidence for her suspisions about all sorts of things, then the revelation it is only a portion of the 2005 return, not the full thing...Then an ad break...
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    2 pages that's it.

So they don't know really anything under the headline figures of income and total tax paid...No context about if the write downs etc are all proper and above board

And the "expert" they have on says nothing dodgy for somebody in his position.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    All fart and no follow through...Now on to attack on rich not paying enough tax and conspiracy theories.
  • Options
    Edit - just seen a tweet from the report's author disputing the reporting of it....

https://twitter.com/AndrewWilson/status/841783373836226560
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994
    New thread!
This discussion has been closed.