Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tory MP for Thanet South and his agent have been questione

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,174
    nunu said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, the banter.

https://twitter.com/J_amesp/status/841757814892707840

I think fucknugget may have been generous.

That takes the May as Elizabeth 1st and Sturgeon as Mary Queen of Scots to the extreme
    May as Elizabeth1st was my idea fiest! Glad to see it has caught on.
    Yes, on tonight's polls looks like you were right
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148

Well, we will easily get a three-digit majority if Scotland leaves and boundary changes go through... let's see 600 minus 53 Scottish seats minus a load Sein Fein won't take up... about 540 seats in total... only need 270 for a majority! ;)

Perhaps when they were talking about turning us into Singapore they meant a one-party state.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Kwase K very good on newsnight.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    edited March 2017

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

All together now, despite Brexit!
    Isn't this just a MOE change? I admit it's not great for the SNP, but still.
    1pt swing to No since last Yougov.

I'm sure the Brexityoons will now be calling for May to bring it on.
    Yes. :P

Bring them all on! We'll fight them in Brussels, Edinburgh... wherever!

This advert summed up our response to Cameron's renegotiation a year ago. We're now (March 2017) about four-fifths the way through...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEnuDHC-qh8
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    From a thread on the Scottish Greens as SNP lapdogs

@aidanskinner: @dhothersall leave the greens alone they're learning about primacy of political opportunism. it's an important moment for them.

@mcnalu: @aidanskinner @dhothersall yes, let them have their 2010 lib dem moment.

Harsh...
  • Options
    Gah. Still this balls happens. Journos and politicians (SNP Kirsty Blackman) mixing up single market membership and access...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,467
    HYUFD said:

Saudi Arabia launches its first Girls' Council with only men in attendance
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/14/saudi-arabia-launches-first-girls-council-men-stage/

#EveryDaySexism
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058

Scott_P said:
    The majority of people polled believed the UK would vote Remain.
    Hence the need to avoid complacency.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Scotsman has Yes on 46%, so a tiny bit better for Sturgeon though also shows rising Euroscepticism in Scotland
    https://twitter.com/xtophercook/status/841784211392593921/photo/1
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    Scott_P said:
    I've never understood what the virtue of these sorts of polls are supposed to be. Except perhaps that they're useful if you want a story to reinforce the existing narrative
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,803
    I wouldn't normally put any store on my personal anecdotes but something interesting at my social group this evening. There was real anger with Nicola Sturgeon amongst the normally apolitical members of that group for reopening the independence referendum. Even SNP supporters reckoned she was only doing this as a tactical manoeuvre. Ms Sturgeon may have miscalled this one.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,298
    Scott_P said:

From a thread on the Scottish Greens as SNP lapdogs

@aidanskinner: @dhothersall leave the greens alone they're learning about primacy of political opportunism. it's an important moment for them.

@mcnalu: @aidanskinner @dhothersall yes, let them have their 2010 lib dem moment.

Harsh...

Perhaps Aid & Duncy can warn the Greens about having a 2015, '16 and indeed '17 SLab moment.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I wouldn't normally put any store on my personal anecdotes but something interesting at my social group this evening. There was real anger with Nicola Sturgeon amongst the normally apolitical members of that group for reopening the independence referendum. Even SNP supporters reckoned she was only doing this as a tactical manoeuvre. Ms Sturgeon may have miscalled this one.

The local elections will be fascinating
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    What pollster did that Scotsman poll??
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

What pollster did that Scotsman poll??

https://twitter.com/mattsingh_/status/841784910188818432
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Indeed these polls are not great in that respect for May! She will be immediately under pressure to grant it.

Incidentally - and this is an anecdote alert that I will no doubt get shouted down for - I'm genuinely surprised by the level of sympathy down here for Scottish independence. I have just been to a big event this evening - very Remainery internationalist London admittedly. Sturgeon popular; Ref II seen as right; Indy seen as right by people who were formerly dead against. If media down here follow suit - strong card for Sturgeon.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

ttps://twitter.com/grayinglasgow/status/841712781288177666

"One of the most influential voices in Europe Elmar Brok MEP"

Since when has an MEP been influencial? - What do the European Commissioners say?
    Well he's chairman of the foreign affairs select committee and a member of Angela Merkel's party so more influential than most.
    The tag-line flatters him - he's a reasonably well-known, respected middle-ranking CDU politician who has held a variety of solid posts. Influential? Nah.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Course it is, but McSturge gets up my nose!!
    Ha! No problem. I like her. But fair play to you for your honesty sir.
  • Options

ttps://twitter.com/grayinglasgow/status/841712781288177666

"One of the most influential voices in Europe Elmar Brok MEP"

Since when has an MEP been influencial? - What do the European Commissioners say?
    Well he's chairman of the foreign affairs select committee and a member of Angela Merkel's party so more influential than most.
    The tag-line flatters him - he's a reasonably well-known, respected middle-ranking CDU politician who has held a variety of solid posts. Influential? Nah.
    I am curious if you ever had a really flattering tagline attached to a story which you contributed to while in parliament - I feel like everyone has been reported as a 'senior backbencher' if they've been there more than a single term.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Indeed these polls are not great in that respect for May! She will be immediately under pressure to grant it.

Incidentally - and this is an anecdote alert that I will no doubt get shouted down for - I'm genuinely surprised by the level of sympathy down here for Scottish independence. I have just been to a big event this evening - very Remainery internationalist London admittedly. Sturgeon popular; Ref II seen as right; Indy seen as right by people who were formerly dead against. If media down here follow suit - strong card for Sturgeon.
    I've found the same amongst my non Scottish remainer freinds.

Scots, meanwhile, roll their eyes. At least those I know...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Bojabob said:

Not sure about that. It's possible that the thing which would be most fatal to support for Scottish independence would be the realisation amongst Scots that the English are cool with it, maybe even rather like the idea.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

The left liberal intelligentsia was not that opposed to Scottish independence in 2014 either, the likes of George Monbiot and Sir Simon Jenkins all backed it and most of the UK tabloids and right of centre broadsheets will still be firmly opposed
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

You've spent an evening with Remainers so fanatical they would happily see their country break up, just to prove their doom-laden prophecies right. The fact that this would leave the 'internationalists' (sic) stuck in a state where they constitute an even smaller minority shows that they have abandoned rational thought for self-righteous feeling.

Fortunately such people will play no decisive role in Scotland's next independence referendum.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,106
    People just want to spite Theresa May and the Conservative party. Scottish independence is not internationalism, it is petty nationalism.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Fair enough. Whether having thousands of prosecco-slurping Londoners backing Scots Indy is good news for Nicola is of course a very debatable point!
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

HYUFD said:

Saudi Arabia launches its first Girls' Council with only men in attendance
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/14/saudi-arabia-launches-first-girls-council-men-stage/

#EveryDaySexism
    tsk tsk. It's a meeting about girls, not for them.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Not sure about that. It's possible that the thing which would be most fatal to support for Scottish independence would be the realisation amongst Scots that the English are cool with it, maybe even rather like the idea.
    Especially when it dawns on the Scots that we English would be more than happy to stop subsidising them (on top of ending our subsidies to the EU of course). Might focus minds north of the wall (thanks Hadrian) about what 'independence' would mean: either budget cuts, tax rises or seeking funding (and therefore dependence) from the EU.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Fair enough. Whether having thousands of prosecco-slurping Londoners backing Scots Indy is good news for Nicola is of course a very debatable point!
    I certainly expect there is more support for Scottish independence in inner London than in Edinburgh, albeit not as much as Glasgow
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

You've spent an evening with Remainers so fanatical they would happily see their country break up, just to prove their doom-laden prophecies right. The fact that this would leave the 'internationalists' (sic) stuck in a state where they constitute an even smaller minority shows that they have abandoned rational thought for self-righteous feeling.

Fortunately such people will play no decisive role in Scotland's next independence referendum.
    Just like you.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

I was thinking more about the London media influence point of view. In general it's certainly a debatable point, as I mention upthread, that having a load of wealthy Londoners supporting Indy could be a net negative.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

You are probably exaggerating just a soupçon there.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited March 2017
    The Balkanisation of Britain increasingly seems to appeal to our Tory Brethren.

Bojabob said:

• Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    Constitutional question.
    Surely the English should have a vote on separation from Scotland, and what would happen if the Scots votes to stay, and the English voted to get rid of them?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Bojabob said:

Certainly not our Tory PM who on tonight's polling evidence seems to be doing fine keeping independence at bay
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/jamin2g/status/841736596093321216

My favourite Zoomer, who lives in Windsor, has also been busy on Twitter today. Joyous, if not really civic in any way...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,791
    edited March 2017
    Bojabob said:

Indeed these polls are not great in that respect for May!

Polls showing less support for Sindy are not good for May?

Only in Remoanerland......
  • Options
    'Independence support hits highest level in annual survey

Support for Scottish independence is at its highest level in the annual Scottish Social Attitudes Survey. The study, which has been conducted since 1999, found support for independence at 46% when people are asked to choose between devolution, having no parliament and leaving the UK.It is the highest support registered for independence since the survey began in 1999.

..The report's author, Professor John Curtice, said: "The nationalist movement in Scotland has never been stronger electorally."

..Mark Diffley, from polling company Ipsos MORI, said: "This is significant and in line with recent polling despite the earlier fieldwork dates. This is undoubtedly good news for the First Minister and for independence campaigners. We are in line for a tight race as and when the referendum really gets under way."'

http://tinyurl.com/h63qqxy
  • Options
    franklyn said:

Constitutional question.
    Surely the English should have a vote on separation from Scotland, and what would happen if the Scots votes to stay, and the English voted to get rid of them?

The Queen has the final say and would overrule the English as she wants to keep Balmoral!
  • Options
    Hyufd

These weren't so much a left liberal crowd as an international business crowd. And they were opposed, mostly, in 2014. It might not count for anything. It was merely a surprising observation. @Mortimer has observed similarly.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    franklyn said:

Constitutional question.

That's not really a constitutional question - that's a political question as the constitutional aspect is easy - Scotland could be forced legally out of the UK in the same way as it would go in any case - by an Act of Parliament. Politically "not going to happen" leaps to mind however, therefore the constitutional point is moot.. ;)
  • Options
    @britainelects: Another #IndyRef poll out in a few hours.

I assume the mail one
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Jonathan said:

Tories accept reality and embrace change, it's our USP. So, yes, however much we might regret Blair's Balkanisation of Britain, and however often we remind Labour supporters that Conservatives accurately predicted how it would turn out, it's a fact now, and good Tories accept facts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/politics97/news/08/0830/devolution.shtml

Edit: Or, even better:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=NUYQrOnasioC&pg=PA95&lpg=PA95&dq=john+major+warning+scottish+devolution&source=bl&ots=KhuEvs7sTL&sig=tY10na34pvIGsi5RL2Cf80F91Tk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii65GRktfSAhWVOsAKHV7cAhw4ChDoAQhHMAg#v=onepage&q=john major warning scottish devolution&f=false
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

This advert summed up our response to Cameron's renegotiation a year ago. We're now (March 2017) about four-fifths the way through...

One of the greatest adverts of all time.
  • Options
    Carlotta

You read my post presumably?

Edit: I hadn't seen the Scotsman front page at that stage.
  • Options

Support for Scottish independence is at its highest level in the annual Scottish Social Attitudes Survey. The study, which has been conducted since 1999, found support for independence at 46% when people are asked to choose between devolution, having no parliament and leaving the UK.It is the highest support registered for independence since the survey began in 1999.

..The report's author, Professor John Curtice, said: "The nationalist movement in Scotland has never been stronger electorally."

..Mark Diffley, from polling company Ipsos MORI, said: "This is significant and in line with recent polling despite the earlier fieldwork dates. This is undoubtedly good news for the First Minister and for independence campaigners. We are in line for a tight race as and when the referendum really gets under way."'

Also:

"However, the commitment to the EU of many of those who voted to remain does not appear to be strong enough that they are likely to be persuaded by the outcome of the EU referendum to change their preference for staying in the UK.

"Meanwhile, there is a risk that linking independence closely to the idea of staying in the EU could alienate some of those who currently back leaving the UK."

Hence Mrs McTrump's screeching U-turn on EU Membership.....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Heart of stone etc.

One of the greatest adverts of all time.
    Made pretty much exactly half-way through the UK's time in the EU and wonderfully predictive of 2016-17.
  • Options

franklyn said:

Constitutional question.

That's not really a constitutional question - that's a political question as the constitutional aspect is easy - Scotland could be forced legally out of the UK in the same way as it would go in any case - by an Act of Parliament. Politically "not going to happen" leaps to mind however, therefore the constitutional point is moot.. ;)
    Speaking of unlikely hypothetical, what about if NI voted to unify with ROI but ROI didn't vote to accept them?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Tories accept reality and embrace change, it's our USP. So, yes, however much we might regret Blair's Balkanisation of Britain, and however often we remind Labour supporters that Conservatives accurately predicted how it would turn out, it's a fact now, and good Tories accept facts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/politics97/news/08/0830/devolution.shtml
    Hear hear.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

My favourite Zoomer, who lives in Windsor, has also been busy on Twitter today. Joyous, if not really civic in any way...

Thankyou Brian, for fitting in a few minutes of your time to endorse the cause of Scottish independence from your Manhattan Penthouse, I believe they will be switching to hear the views of Sir Sean from the Bahamas shortly after!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

franklyn said:

Constitutional question.

Speaking of unlikely hypothetical, what about if NI voted to unify with ROI but ROI didn't vote to accept them?
    Simple. It remains in the UK. Both sides of the Irish border have to vote Yes to removing the partition. As it happens, it's highly unlikely as Irish nationalism runs at a solid 60+% in the Republic.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Hyufd

These weren't so much a left liberal crowd as an international business crowd. And they were opposed, mostly, in 2014. It might not count for anything. It was merely a surprising observation. @Mortimer has observed similarly.

International business crowds have no loyalty to any nation, just money and their own careers
  • Options
    franklyn said:

Constitutional question.

Some think we ought to have such a vote in England, but there is no definitive 'should'. The status quo is presumed to be acceptable until people demand otherwise, and currently no party, that I know of, is advocating the English should vote on separating from the other home nations. Long may that continue. I believe apathy to the union in its largest part is a contributor to not having sorted this mess out long ago.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

franklyn said:

Constitutional question.

Well then they couldn't join. The sovereign parliaments (London and Dublin) are what matter!

Although the situation is a little different with NI due to the Good Friday Agreement, an international treaty, which I think might force the UK/ROI to do certain things in the event of a border poll.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

kle4 said:

franklyn said:

Constitutional question.

Simple. It remains in the UK. Both sides of the Irish border have to vote Yes to removing the partition. As it happens, it's highly unlikely as Irish nationalism runs at a solid 60+% in the Republic.
    Frankly I'm surprised it is that low, and I've no doubt that whatever misgivings exist at the idea of reunification in ROI, if NI looked like going that way, they'd take on any burden. But then, people surprise you sometimes.
  • Options

Also:

"However, the commitment to the EU of many of those who voted to remain does not appear to be strong enough that they are likely to be persuaded by the outcome of the EU referendum to change their preference for staying in the UK.

"Meanwhile, there is a risk that linking independence closely to the idea of staying in the EU could alienate some of those who currently back leaving the UK."

'a further 42% said the country should stay in but Brussels should have its powers reduced.
    Just 21% said the relationship should stay the same while only 7% thought the organisation should either get more powers or become a single continental government.'

So that's only 70% for staying in the EU?
    Quick Nic, get David Coburn in as a consultant!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Thankyou Brian, for fitting in a few minutes of your time to endorse the cause of Scottish independence from your Manhattan Penthouse, I believe they will be switching to hear the views of Sir Sean from the Bahamas shortly after!
    Shortly followed by Alan Cumming, also from New York - who went so far as to buy a pokey wee flat in Edinburgh, in the mistaken belief it would buy him a vote in Indyref...

http://www.scotsman.com/news/celebrity/alan-cumming-loses-out-on-referendum-vote-1-3213950
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Bojabob said:

Hyufd

International business crowds have no loyalty to any nation, just money and their own careers
    A somewhat crass and demonstrably untrue statement that does you no credit.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,317
    edited March 2017
    Surely notable for showing zero Budget impact on Con rating - as many thought - despite all the hysteria.

And contrast with the ComRes poll with all those leading questions given headline treatment in the Telegraph.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Bojabob said:

kle4 said:

franklyn said:

Constitutional question.

Frankly I'm surprised it is that low, and I've no doubt that whatever misgivings exist at the idea of reunification in ROI, if NI looked like going that way, they'd take on any burden. But then, people surprise you sometimes.
    There was actually a poll out this week, I think it was 62-63% by Irish region in favour of reunification. As you imply, solid but not overwhelming.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,153
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Brian Cox has the weakest handshake I have ever known. It was like being proffered a recently killed herring.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Brian Cox has the weakest handshake I have ever known. It was like being proffered a recently killed herring.
    Still wriggling?
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Carlotta

I think it would be fair to say:

- The polls are fluid

- If Mrs McTrump was expecting to see a boost post her soliloquy she's yet to be satisfied

- The SNP position on the EU/EEA/Europe is, shall we say 'under review'.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Bojabob said:

Hyufd

Yes, us business people are all utterly amoral and unpatriotic. The first thing we do when we turn left on the airplane is sing a secret international anthem about the rise of profit and the downfall of the nation state.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Carlotta

I think it would be fair to say:

- The polls are fluid

- If Mrs McTrump was expecting to see a boost post her soliloquy she's yet to be satisfied

- The SNP position on the EU/EEA/Europe is, shall we say 'under review'.
    Yes I agree with all that.
  • Options

Also:

Clearly Eck 'we'll join the EEA' should be listening to you.....

• Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Not quite a Wallace then!
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

HYUFD said:

Bojabob said:

Hyufd

Show me an international business crowd which would stick around very long in their home nation if its economy was going south and their taxes were going up and you are a better man than me!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Shortly followed by Alan Cumming, also from New York - who went so far as to buy a pokey wee flat in Edinburgh, in the mistaken belief it would buy him a vote in Indyref...

http://www.scotsman.com/news/celebrity/alan-cumming-loses-out-on-referendum-vote-1-3213950
    Serves him right, even Sir Andy now lives in Surrey and Florida
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Bojabob said:

HYUFD said:

Bojabob said:

Hyufd

Show me an international business crowd which would stick around very long in their home nation if its economy was going south and their taxes were going up and you are a better man than me!
    What is an "international business crowd"?

And don't directors of firms have an explicit moral duty to look after the welfare of their shareholders above all else?
  • Options

Also:

'a further 42% said the country should stay in but Brussels should have its powers reduced.
    Just 21% said the relationship should stay the same while only 7% thought the organisation should either get more powers or become a single continental government.'

Yes, I was surprised how high the pro-Europe figure was too.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Bojabob said:

Hyufd

Yes, us business people are all utterly amoral and unpatriotic. The first thing we do when we turn left on the airplane is sing a secret international anthem about the rise of profit and the downfall of the nation state.
    Given the choice between profit and the nation state they would choose profit everytime, nothing necessarily wrong with that but that is a fact
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Bojabob said:

HYUFD said:

Bojabob said:

Hyufd

What is an "international business crowd"?

And don't directors of firms have an explicit moral duty to look after the welfare of their shareholders above all else?
    Investment bankers, financiers, corporate lawyers, senior managers and directors of multinational companies, high net worth entrepreneurs etc. See my last comment
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Bojabob said:

HYUFD said:

Bojabob said:

Hyufd

Is being an immigrant always a marker of moral degeneracy or only if you're part of the jet set?
  • Options

Also:

I know how you love the Courier.

https://twitter.com/C_RMacCallum/status/841795228243763200
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Bojabob said:

Hyufd

Given the choice between profit and the nation state they would choose profit everytime, nothing necessarily wrong with that but that is a fact
    Company directors are legally obliged to prioritise the welfare of their shareholders over the nation state. Any company director that chose to spend his shareholders money on upholding the nation state to the detriment of shareholders would be in serious trouble.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Bojabob said:

HYUFD said:

Bojabob said:

Hyufd

Is being an immigrant always a marker of moral degeneracy or only if you're part of the jet set?
    Those rootless cosmopolitans get everywhere..
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    CNBC report on the Dutch elections:

'PVV likely to win most seats
    Polls suggest remain slightly ahead in a (theoretical EU) referendum poll
    Events over the weekend have helped Wilders in the polls (Turkey)'

I think all of those are wrong.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    MSNBC claims to have 'Trump tax returns'.

Big claim to make.
  • Options

Also:

https://twitter.com/C_RMacCallum/status/841795228243763200
    Dundee of course voted Yes in 2014
  • Options
    Erdogan is doubling down:

Turkey's war of words with the Netherlands has worsened after the Turkish president accused the Dutch of carrying out a massacre of Muslim men at Srebrenica, Bosnia, in 1995.
    Bosnian Serb forces were in fact behind the massacre but Dutch UN peacekeepers failed to protect the victims.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39270095
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Bojabob said:

HYUFD said:

Bojabob said:

Hyufd

For the record: Easyjet != Jetset
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Bojabob said:

Also:

Yes, I was surprised how high the pro-Europe figure was too.
    That assumes that the 42% count as pro-Europe, as it doesn't describe any possible EU.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Bojabob said:

HYUFD said:

Bojabob said:

Hyufd

I don't see what being an immigrant has to do with anything, there is a slight difference between moving from one nation to another to lower your tax rates and doing so to flee religious persecution or a warzone for example
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Also:

twitter.com/C_RMacCallum/status/841795228243763200
    Five times the circulation of The Nat onal - what's not to like? And despite the masthead change its still the Dundee Courier - area with the lowest level of support for the 'No to Inyref2' petition:

http://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=180642
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Bojabob said:

Hyufd

Company directors are legally obliged to prioritise the welfare of their shareholders over the nation state. Any company director that chose to spend his shareholders money on upholding the nation state to the detriment of shareholders would be in serious trouble.
    So none of that disputes the contention then
  • Options
    Angus Robertson said his party’s first priority was to protect Scotland’s membership of the European single market.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/14/compromise-still-possible-to-avoid-scotland-independence-vote-says-snp

But not the United Kingdom single market.....
  • Options
    Britain Elects‏ @britainelects 12m12 minutes ago
    More
    Scottish independence poll:

Yes: 47% (-)
    No: 53% (-)

(via Survation / taken post-FM's speech)
    Chgs. (or no chgs.) w/ Sep 2016.
  • Options

Ye of little faith in Theresa's comprehensive free trade agreement...
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

More

Makes me nervous after the fervour and optimism of a campaign gets underway at some point. Project fear is a real thing, but it doesn't mean it isn't reasonable to point out some fears, but it won't be as effective next time, and yes starts from a higher base.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    The Yougov poll on national voting intention is good for the Tories - though it also gives Labour its highest voting share since the end of last November.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

More

Makes me nervous after the fervour and optimism of a campaign gets underway at some point. Project fear is a real thing, but it doesn't mean it isn't reasonable to point out some fears, but it won't be as effective next time, and yes starts from a higher base.
    The more optimistic Davidson will be the main spokesperson for No, not Darling and Sturgeon has clearly got no bounce from her speech
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

More

But polls also show most people have made up their minds - and the SNP's 'secret weapon' - Remain No voters has turned out to be a dud - there are more Yes Leave voters......hence the confusion over EEA/EU.....
  • Options

Ye of little faith in Theresa's comprehensive free trade agreement...

Little faith in SNP 'sincerity'.......
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Labour its highest voting share since the end of last November.

That's what I like to see! Glass half full...well, maybe not quite half.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

More

The more optimistic Davidson will be the main spokesperson for No, not Darling and Sturgeon has clearly got no bounce from her speech
    An opposition MSP who's never held executive office gives you more confidence than a former Chancellor of the Exchequer and veteran campaigner?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

More

Even though Davidson is popular with Scots (her appeal is still a bit of a mystery to me, but for whatever reason it's obviously there), I really doubt she or any other politician can move opinion on her own.

After all, some of the areas which most enthusiastically voted for Gordon Brown's Labour in the 2010 election were often the same places that voted for independence in 2014, despite Brown being probably the most high-profile "No" spokesperson in the last days of the referendum. It will surely be the arguments, and events, that sway how the average Scottish person feels about it; the idea that they'll go along with a particular argument, just because a politician they like is advocating it, is a bit silly.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

More

An opposition MSP who's never held executive office gives you more confidence than a former Chancellor of the Exchequer and veteran campaigner?
    She is a more effective campaigner yes as seen by her Holyrood campaign last year, Darling was fine for a Project Fear campaign in 2014 but the next No campaign needs to be more positive
This discussion has been closed.