Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on the Dutch election

Comments

• Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642

Bojabob said:

IanB2 said:

Why can't the Scots have their own currency called the pound, keep their own notes, and peg it to ours? I don't see that this requires our permission, and is what various places such as the Channel Islands are already doing. The US also has various countries that peg their currencies to the dollar, mostly small countries and dependencies but also, effectively, China.

Indeed they can do exactly that. Salmond's failing to suggest it last time was one of the great strategic errors in recent electoral history.
    Hmm, it's not an easy option at all. With the state of the Scottish public finances, the Scottish pound would be an immediate one-way bet-target of speculators, and the speculators would win. Comparisons with small countries which peg their currencies to another currency aren't very valid because those countries don't tend to have significant financial services sectors, which Scotland does.
    The Irish Punt was pegged to Sterling for decades.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2017
    Arron Banks:

11.31 Ukip has somehow managed to allow my membership to lapse this year despite having given [sic] considerably more than the annual membership fee over the past 12 months.

On reapplying I was told my membership was suspended pending my appearance at a NEC meeting.

Apparently, my comments about the party being run like a squash club committee and Mr Carswell have not gone down well.

I now realise I was being unfair to squash clubs all over the UK and I apologise to them.

We will now be concentrating on our new movement.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/mar/14/theresa-may-commons-statement-brexit-no-chance-of-securing-uk-eu-trade-deal-within-2-years-says-former-eu-chief-politics-live

It's like one of those Shakespeare plays where there's a serious main plot and a comic sub-plot of fools and knaves.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    Macron continues to be on the slide in todays Opinionway poll.

Has fallen another point today, following a point drop yesterday. Two days ago was level with Le Pen, is now 3 points adrift. Gap between Macron and Fillon has closed to 4 points from 6, with Fillon remaining stable.

In the head to heads:

Macron - Le Pen now 60-40 (two days ago was 65-35)

Fillon - Le Pen now 57-43 (two days ago was 60-40)

http://presicote.factoviz.com/index/more/id/qoo_lew_1

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

IanB2 said:

Why can't the Scots have their own currency called the pound, keep their own notes, and peg it to ours? I don't see that this requires our permission, and is what various places such as the Channel Islands are already doing. The US also has various countries that peg their currencies to the dollar, mostly small countries and dependencies but also, effectively, China.

Indeed they can do exactly that. Salmond's failing to suggest it last time was one of the great strategic errors in recent electoral history.
    Hmm, it's not an easy option at all. With the state of the Scottish public finances, the Scottish pound would be an immediate one-way bet-target of speculators, and the speculators would win. Comparisons with small countries which peg their currencies to another currency aren't very valid because those countries don't tend to have significant financial services sectors, which Scotland does.
    The Irish Punt was pegged to Sterling for decades.
    Yes, with no financial services sector, in the days of exchange controls, when currency movements were much slower, before hedge funds existed, and before you could shift billions around with a click of a mouse.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261

Arron Banks:

11.31 Ukip has somehow managed to allow my membership to lapse this year despite having given [sic] considerably more than the annual membership fee over the past 12 months.

On reapplying I was told my membership was suspended pending my appearance at a NEC meeting.

Apparently, my comments about the party being run like a squash club committee and Mr Carswell have not gone down well.

I now realise I was being unfair to squash clubs all over the UK and I apologise to them.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/mar/14/theresa-may-commons-statement-brexit-no-chance-of-securing-uk-eu-trade-deal-within-2-years-says-former-eu-chief-politics-live

It's like one of those Shakespeare plays where there's a serious main plot and a comic sub-plot of fools and knaves.

Remind me of the serious main plot?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Scott_P said:

Handbags...

@NicolaSturgeon: In addition, I was elected as FM on a clear manifesto commitment re #scotref. The PM is not yet elected by anyone.

Someone's rattled.

Shouldn't have put those three warnings about BREXIt in the SindyRef1 White Paper.....
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited March 2017

Arron Banks:

I was thinking along the lines of Arron Banks putting the anus in Coriolanus
  • Options

Arron Banks:

The latest development is the dastardly Nicola's soliloquy where she vows vengeance against her enemy.
  • Options
    Maybe that nice Mrs May could announce that she intends to accelerate Scotland's passing the Euro convergence criteria by eliminating the Scottish deficit and harmonising their per capita public spending with the UK average as a first step in that direction. Starting tomorrow.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

The leading party not even getting 20% is the sort of extreme splitting of the vote that worries some people about PR systems.

But maybe you are mixing up cause and effect?

If voters and their allegiances are so fragmented that no party commands more than 20% support, even FPTnP cannot save you from a fragmented outcome (barring some truly bizarre geographical split of the vote that delivers a clearly illegitimate outcome, which is a big if different problem in those circumstances). People are already recognising that FPTnP is ceasing to "work" and hence lose its legitimacy with the loss of combined two-party support we already have in the UK.
    The two-party share of the vote went up in 2015.
    ... to about 67%.
    69% actually.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Mr. B, aye. Webber was tall, Hulk is, most of them are dinky. Better for both mass generally and lower centre-of-mass, for better handling [marginal difference, obviously, but it's there].
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited March 2017
    Who let these two school kids on sky news...Shouldn't they be in class?
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited March 2017
    I wonder whether the SNP will go with the same line of "we can keep the pound", followed by the following arguments:

We can't be forced into the euro because no mechanism would exist that can compel us to / look at how Sweden get away with it / we will inherit the UK's opt-out.

We can't be forced to give up the pound, because even if the UK government makes threats now, it isn't in London's best interests to harm the Scottish economy once it is independent.

It didn't work terribly well for them last time, but "no change" is an easier sell than "change". Problems inherent with "no change" generally get less severe scrutiny than problems associated with change.

I know the SNP has been considering other policy positions on the currency issue - as I understand it, their internal analysis highlighted it as one of the reasons their previous bid failed - but if they think the Brexit issue will dominate the campaign and draw flak away from the currency question, the lower-risk approach might well just to run with it again. Proposing an independent currency not only draws attention to practical problems, but also makes "we won't have to join the euro" less credible. For all that Scots voted against Brexit, I'm not sure that joining the euro is expected to be a vote-winner.
  • Options

Arron Banks:

The latest development is the dastardly Nicola's soliloquy where she vows vengeance against her enemy.
    Ah, sorry, I thought you meant there was a UKIP serious main plot! Foolish of me.
  • Options
    My love and knowledge of Shakespeare is only matched by love and knowledge of 80s pop music, puns, and history.

I'm doing a Shakespeare themed thread this weekend.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    edited March 2017
    My Tuesday Cheltenham tip is Wicklow Brave each way at 33/1 to win the Champion Hurdle.

It looks like a weak race this year - so open to an outsider winning? Wicklow Brave has raced twice at the Cheltenham Festival - both times ridden by Paul Townend.

In 2014 as a 5 year old novice he was 6th behind Vautour in the Supreme Novices Hurdle, just 3 1/2 lengths behind 2nd place.

In 2015 he won the County hurdle by an easy 8 lengths.

in 2016 he was a Group One winner on the flat winning the Irish St Leger over 1m 6f and was rated good enough to contest the Melbourne Cup.

On his Cheltenham form alone he has to have a decent chance and at the odds he looks a value bet.

Willie Mullins is quoted as saying, "He's very well and I wouldn't put anyone off backing him each way."
  • Options

Ah, sorry, I thought you meant there was a UKIP serious main plot! Foolish of me.

Ah no!
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, away, you three inch fool!

Will that be making an appearance?

Once I finish The Jewish War, I'm going to return to The Complete Works of Shakespeare. Still on the comedies. Merchant of Venice is my favourite so far, as it has a dark edge along with the mirth.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

They really do need a fast track plan to get back in the EU, the Euro as their currency looks the only option to me. I think Spain will allow them - but the EU will insist on all the rules being followed to the letter.
    My question which hasn't been answered by the nats is what taxes will be put up, and spending cut (For it HAS to be both with such a large adjustment) in order for the 3% deficit target to be met. It is 8 or so % iirc at the moment... A large fiscal hole.
    Fast track to entry = Fast cutting of deficit to 3%.

To get into the Euro, they'd first have to have their own currency, and it would have to float against the pound, which would be disruptive given how tightly-knit the Scottish and rUK economies are. They'd then have to try to keep the rate to a range against the Euro and gradually peg it to the Euro. It could be done, but it would take time, and as you say they'd first have to get their public finances in order.
    I think the EU may well give goodwill. HOWEVER it would need a firm commitment to raising taxes and cutting public spending by Sturgeon.

Some might even call it austerity
    Mr. Star, I think it might need more than a firm commitment. If as you said in an earlier post, "... the EU will insist on all the rules being followed to the letter ..." then the new Scottish government would actually have to do it. The requirements for joining the Euro are clear and Mr. Navabi's post above is a fair summary. What he doesn't mention is the time period over which the peg must be maintained, which, from memory, is some three years.

So if the EU did want to enforce its own rules, and after the Greek experience they ought to, then the fastest track entry would still be some years away and that is if all goes well and Scotland does manage to sort out its public finances.

The economics of independence make no more sense now than they did in 2014 and, probably, will no more do so in a couple of years time. The SNP seems from down here to have done no work in an attempt to answer any of the big questions that caused them to lose last time.
  • Options

My love and knowledge of Shakespeare is only matched by love and knowledge of 80s pop music, puns, and history.

Scottish play featuring?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Break a leg, darling...
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited March 2017
    Laura Hughes at the Telegraph is mixing up royal assent with the queen's consent, or at least she doesn't explain the difference:

"The Article 50 Bill is expected to receive royal assent from the Queen this morning."

"The Queen and Prince Charles are asked to approve bills which relate to royal powers and interests of the Crown and Duchy of Cornwall."

I was wondering whether it was going to be admitted that the government sought the monarch and her eldest son's prior consent before they introduced the A50 bill. They were obliged to, because if it's enacted it will affect the said two individuals' financial interests.

The monarch receives EU farming money, while her son owns property in Romania.

• Options
    Pakistan paceman Mohammad Irfan has been provisionally suspended as part of an anti-corruption investigation into the Pakistan Super League (PSL).

Mohammad Irfan: Pakistan paceman provisionally suspended by PCB
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39264715
  • Options

Arron Banks:

I was thinking along the lines of Arron Banks putting the anus in Coriolanus
    Coriolanus = Arrogant shite who needs the votes of the plebs he despises and insults to their face. He gets wiped out. This must be a Labour leader thread, with an Emily Thronberry bit part.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, away, you three inch fool!

Will that be making an appearance?

Once I finish The Jewish War, I'm going to return to The Complete Works of Shakespeare. Still on the comedies. Merchant of Venice is my favourite so far, as it has a dark edge along with the mirth.

Maybe. I was thinking of bringing the whole Oxford debate to PB.

If you discussions about Brexit or Scottish Indpendence, or AV were testy, you've not experienced discussions about Edward de Vere being the real author of Shakespeare's plays.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Someone's rattled.

Shouldn't have put those three warnings about BREXIt in the SindyRef1 White Paper.....

@RuthDavidsonMSP: Responding to anonymous tittle-tattle by trading mandates over twitter? Goodness. Someone's gone the full Donald Trump....
  • Options

Arron Banks:

Since when was it mark of shame to be insulted by such a tosser?

• Options

Scottish play featuring?
    The Comedy of Errors.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

They really do need a fast track plan to get back in the EU, the Euro as their currency looks the only option to me. I think Spain will allow them - but the EU will insist on all the rules being followed to the letter.
    My question which hasn't been answered by the nats is what taxes will be put up, and spending cut (For it HAS to be both with such a large adjustment) in order for the 3% deficit target to be met. It is 8 or so % iirc at the moment... A large fiscal hole.

To get into the Euro, they'd first have to have their own currency, and it would have to float against the pound, which would be disruptive given how tightly-knit the Scottish and rUK economies are. They'd then have to try to keep the rate to a range against the Euro and gradually peg it to the Euro. It could be done, but it would take time, and as you say they'd first have to get their public finances in order.
    I think the EU may well give goodwill. HOWEVER it would need a firm commitment to raising taxes and cutting public spending by Sturgeon.

Mr. Star, I think it might need more than a firm commitment. If as you said in an earlier post, "... the EU will insist on all the rules being followed to the letter ..." then the new Scottish government would actually have to do it. The requirements for joining the Euro are clear and Mr. Navabi's post above is a fair summary. What he doesn't mention is the time period over which the peg must be maintained, which, from memory, is some three years.

So if the EU did want to enforce its own rules, and after the Greek experience they ought to, then the fastest track entry would still be some years away and that is if all goes well and Scotland does manage to sort out its public finances.

The economics of independence make no more sense now than they did in 2014 and, probably, will no more do so in a couple of years time. The SNP seems from down here to have done no work in an attempt to answer any of the big questions that caused them to lose last time.
    I'd have thought the economics if anything were worse than 2014

• Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    BudG said:

Has fallen another point today, following a point drop yesterday. Two days ago was level with Le Pen, is now 3 points adrift. Gap between Macron and Fillon has closed to 4 points from 6, with Fillon remaining stable.

In the head to heads:

Any obvious reason for this?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited March 2017
    Are there any chemistry students on PB? My own chemistry knowledge is lacking as I did a proper science, physics, instead.

I need the name of two gasses who on their own are fine, but when combined can cause problems.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    BudG said:

In the head to heads:

Le Pen now back up to 40% in the runoff with Macron too
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Scott_P said:

Handbags...

@NicolaSturgeon: In addition, I was elected as FM on a clear manifesto commitment re #scotref. The PM is not yet elected by anyone.

The voters of Maidenhead and Copeland may beg to differ
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    This is great nostalgia

BBC Archive
    Happy #PiDay to our American friends. In Britain, mathematics has its own King; Johnny Ball. Seen here informing his subjects about pi https://t.co/06D1J5jAZL
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Are there any chemistry students on PB? My own chemistry knowledge is lacking as I did a proper science, physics, instead.

I need the name of two gasses who on their own are fine, but when combined can cause problems.

Hydrogen and Oxygen - boom.

I tried it out in my mother's kitchen when I was a schoolboy.
  • Options

Nitrogen and Oxygen I would have thought
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I think the EU might like to be nice to the Scots but they are about to lose the cash of their 2nd? biggest contributor with no signs of any new rich countries wanting to join. i suspect the figures just won't add up for a free ride for the Scots. Such a shame :)
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Handbags...

I kept on telling PBers that Mrs May's lack of a mandate would cause her problems.
    The Scottish whine has started...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

Scott_P said:

Handbags...

I kept on telling PBers that Mrs May's lack of a mandate would cause her problems.
    It hasn't though - her being elected would only change the trivial detail of the arguments, so Sturgeon bringing it up is not significant, as if not then it would be something else - and I don't know that anyone disputed it would not be used against her, just that it isn't particularly relevant.
  • Options

Break a leg, darling...
    Don't mention the Scottish play - or anything else Scottish please.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Nitrogen and Oxygen - aka 'air'!
  • Options
    edited March 2017

BudG said:

In the head to heads:

Yes: denying entry to Muslim Turks, and angry Muslim Turks on the streets demanding that the Turkish government be allowed to campaign on EU member states' territory, have been big in the news. Taking their two most recent polls with discrete collection periods, Opinionway are reporting a 1.5% Macron to Le Pen swing between 7-9 and 11-13 March. I haven't done the analysis yet, but I think this is the biggest for some time.

Pundits who believe that Fillon and Rutte and the EU are doing well out of this because they too are talking tough on Turkey are deluding themselves.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Handbags...

No, they elect an MP.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Thanks.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Someone's rattled.

@RuthDavidsonMSP: Responding to anonymous tittle-tattle by trading mandates over twitter? Goodness. Someone's gone the full Donald Trump....
    Maybe it's the hair that causes it....
  • Options

https://youtu.be/jH-mhZLuGRk
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    felix said:

I think the EU might like to be nice to the Scots but they are about to lose the cash of their 2nd? biggest contributor with no signs of any new rich countries wanting to join. i suspect the figures just won't add up for a free ride for the Scots. Such a shame :)

Their second biggest contributor is being faced with a choice: The single market or Scotland.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I suppose it depends who's breathing it!
  • Options
    An opening gambit, no doubt. I would have thought a question of unquestionable mandate would depend on the position at the last Holyrood elections. Obviously the SNP did not get a majority, but what was their position on another Sindyref going into it? What was the Greens' position on it?

I don't actually dispute that there has not been a significant change in circumstance such that, regrettably, another vote is not justified, but in terms of whether it would be an outrage to hold one before then or an outrage to hold it that far away, would depend on what the parties said they'd do.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited March 2017
    Arf. Not so much a case of kicking the can down the road, but booting it into the long grass.
  • Options

Yes. Unless I misunderstood the question. Nitrogen and Oxygen are benign (ish) on their own, but Nitrous Oxide less so
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2017
    Strictly speaking a gas is one of the commonly accepted 5 states of matter that pretty much any atom or molecule can exist in - if you heat it up enough (but not too much). Steam is a gas. It's not hard to think of any number of molecules you don't want to mix.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Thanks.
    Oxygen alone is incredibly dangerous. Look what happened to Grissom, White and Chaffee.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014

Hydrogen and Oxygen combined to form Hydrogen Peroxide.
  • Options

felix said:

Their second biggest contributor is being faced with a choice: The single market or Scotland.
    No it isn't, most polls show Scots will still vote No even after May has said the UK will leave the single market
  • Options

BudG said:

In the head to heads:

Le Pen's improvement might be due to a one hour tv special she appeared on in France on friday night (I think it was)

Macron's slide, no obvious reason I can think of, except his support is more flakey than his two rivals. Around 50% of those saying they will vote for him, say they are unlikely to change their minds, compared to figures of around 70% for Fillon and 80% for Le Pen.
  • Options
    Mr. Rex, *raises an eyebrow*

Could you elaborate?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    There will be no better way to boost support for Scottish independence than by preventing a referendum.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Yes. Unless I misunderstood the question. Nitrogen and Oxygen are benign (ish) on their own, but Nitrous Oxide less so
    Laughing gas?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Scott_P said:

Handbags...

Nicola Sturgeon seems to think we have a presidential system in the UK where we vote for a particular individual as PM.

We don't. We vote for MPs who are members of political parties. The party with a majority of MPs selects their leader who thus becomes the PM. Theresa May was elected as their leader by the political party with the majority in parliament.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Handbags...

No, they elect an MP.
    The first still elected May, contrary to Sturgeon's statement, the second voted for a May led Tory Party when at the last election they voted Labour
  • Options
    edited March 2017

felix said:

That isn't the choice we're being offered though and it is false to suggest it is. The SNP were massively popular and Indy came close when the presumption was we would be remaining in the single market forevermore, remaining in the single market would therefore not kill the issue of independence.

Personally I'd be content with going for single market access, particularly if it quelled the Scottish question, but obviously the government didn't think it was viable and/or beneficial (not least due to the immigration issue) and was so firm on the point that they will not go back on it.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    You would hope that politicians would have learnt not to.use certain phrases after Brexit. Does anyone now look around the phrase 'back of the queue' with anything bother than derision?
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, I think a delay would be the most sensible approach. It would be... interesting if May tried not to hold one at all if Holyrood backed it.
  • Options

Mr. Pulpstar, I think a delay would be the most sensible approach. It would be... interesting if May tried not to hold one at all if Holyrood backed it.

A small delay till 2019 would be sensible enough. Requiring the SNP to get a majority in the 2021 Holyrood elections would not - for a start it is staggeringly arrogant towards the Scottish greens.
  • Options

Laughing gas?

2 for 2
  • Options

Or water. Surely it is the amounts of each that matter.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

There will be no better way to boost support for Scottish independence than by preventing a referendum.
    It is not preventing one, just saying the SNP must win a majority as they did in 2011, though most likely May would reluctantly agree once the Brexit deal is completed
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    HYUFD said:

felix said:

No it isn't, most polls show Scots will still vote No even after May has said the UK will leave the single market
    They haven't yet had the spectacle of May's flustered appearance after long negotiating sessions in Brussels.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Scott_P said:
    You would hope that politicians would have learnt not to.use certain phrases after Brexit. Does anyone now look around the phrase 'back of the queue' with anything bother than derision?
    It is emotive, to say the least. And in this issue, it hardly makes sense anyway. Technically an Indy Scotland might be at the back of the queue to start with, but obviously it won't stay there for long, people queue jump all the time as seen by Turkey still being at the back after all this time (and barely even pretending to care anymore). Scotland would meet all or nearly all criteria, so unless someone like Spain pulls out a veto, it would progress at a reasonable pace, I am sure.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Blame the Guardian - the direct quote is: “would have to queue, meet the requirements for entry, hold negotiations and the result would be that these negotiations would take place”.

No comment on position in queue.
  • Options

Hydrogen, Oxygen plus a flame = Boom.
  • Options
    BudG said:

BudG said:

In the head to heads:

Le Pen's improvement might be due to a one hour tv special she appeared on in France on friday night (I think it was)

Macron's slide, no obvious reason I can think of, except his support is more flakey than his two rivals. Around 50% of those saying they will vote for him, say they are unlikely to change their minds, compared to figures of around 70% for Fillon and 80% for Le Pen.
    TV interview was sunday, not friday.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-viewers-react-to-frances-marine-le-pen/
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Handbags...

No, they elect an MP.
    May has as much legitimacy as any other PM in British history. She commands a majority in the HoC and that is all any PM ever has as a mandate.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Laughing gas?

2 for 2
    NitrOUS Oxide is pretty hamless - NitrIC Oxide on the other hand....
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    kle4 said:

An opening gambit, no doubt. I would have thought a question of unquestionable mandate would depend on the position at the last Holyrood elections. Obviously the SNP did not get a majority, but what was their position on another Sindyref going into it? What was the Greens' position on it?
    'The SNP manifesto for May's Holyrood elections said the Scottish Parliament should have the right to hold another referendum if there was a "significant and material change" in the circumstances that prevailed at the time of the 2014 referendum, such as Scotland being taken out of the EU against its will.'

The highlighted section is verbatim from the SNP manifesto.

The Greens were rather vague in their manifesto apart from saying 'In a second referendum the Scottish Greens will campaign for independence. Until then we can build a bolder democracy, and open up our institutions for greater citizen participation while pushing for stronger powers for Holyrood.'
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058
    Pulpstar said:

Isan’t the Scottish electoral system deliberately devised to make it very difficult to achieve an overall majority of seats? I know the SNP did so once, but this time their constituency vote increased but their regional vote and hence number of seats went down.
  • Options
    Forget all this indy crap, this is awesome!

Sony has announced plans to let PC owners play PlayStation4 (PS4) games on their home computer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39265275
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, sounds like witchcraft to me.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sony has announced plans to let PC owners play PlayStation4 (PS4) games on their home computer.

We have convergence.
  • Options

Mr. Evershed, I bow to your superior knowledge and experience in these matters. However, I have in front of me a glass containing a mixture of Hydrogen and Oxygen and when I hold a flame to the contents all that happens is that the flame goes out
  • Options

kle4 said:

'The SNP manifesto for May's Holyrood elections said the Scottish Parliament should have the right to hold another referendum if there was a "significant and material change" in the circumstances that prevailed at the time of the 2014 referendum, such as Scotland being taken out of the EU against its will.'

The highlighted section is verbatim from the SNP manifesto.

The Greens were rather vague in their manifesto apart from saying 'In a second referendum the Scottish Greens will campaign for independence. Until then we can build a bolder democracy, and open up our institutions for greater citizen participation while pushing for stronger powers for Holyrood.'
    Some meat for both sides there then - there has been a significant and material change and the SNP almost have a majority, but the Greens haven't really committed to the circumstance which would justify holding one and so leave open the door than a majority did not vote for a party explicitly stating they would hold another one.

But I suspect as others have guessed the 2021 majority business is just the opening salvo and the sides will meet up somewhere between after plenty of yelling.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Pulpstar said:

I don't think there's much appetite from anyone to hustle people into the Euro. That's especially true if they already have a deficit problem and they're in the middle of a potentially unstable break-up situation; The northern states who are most into following rules to the letter will worry that they'll end up paying for it.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Mr. Evershed, I bow to your superior knowledge and experience in these matters. However, I have in front of me a glass containing a mixture of Hydrogen and Oxygen and when I hold a flame to the contents all that happens is that the flame goes out
    Hydrogen gas and Oxygen GAS.

TSE's question referred to two gases - not one liquid.

I thought we paid attention to detail on PB? :)
  • Options

kle4 said:

We have convergence.
    I do hope servers are mixed too, in terms of FPS games it is Champion's league vs Vauxhall conference stuff.
  • Options

The Greens were rather vague in their manifesto apart from saying 'In a second referendum the Scottish Greens will campaign for independence.

You missed this bit...

https://twitter.com/spsammy/status/841599852018565121
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I don't think there's much appetite from anyone to hustle people into the Euro. That's especially true if they already have a deficit problem and they're in the middle of a potentially unstable break-up situation; The northern states who are most into following rules to the letter will worry that they'll end up paying for it.
    Also after just having had a big member leaving, fast tracking someone else in shows the continued desirability of membership, particularly if it is an offshoot of the one who left. Desire for expansion and prestige trumps sticking to the rules or requiring others meet specific requirements.
  • Options

A blonde bombshell?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The Greens were rather vague in their manifesto apart from saying 'In a second referendum the Scottish Greens will campaign for independence.

You missed this bit...

Not that I want the SNP to win, of course, but if I were them I'd set about organising one of those if they haven't already started one.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

You missed this bit...

Junior partner to the SNP.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Is this the end of consoles as we know them? Sony and Microsoft now allow their games to be played on pc. Are we going to be seeing a branded mini-pcs type device for gaming but can be upgraded rather than a "static" bespoke chip / gpu setup for ps5 etc?.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058

Mr L is having such a glass in front of you a rare occurrence?
  • Options
    @paulhutcheon: First Minister's new statement: referendum must be based on *precedent* - ie same question as last time
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713
    Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Why don't Arsenal fans just call 'The Emirates', Highbury? I still call it that. It's near enough in Highbury after all (and the old stadium wasn't officially called Highbury either). The new White Hart Lane will be called White Hart Lane I should imagine as it's on the same site, regardless of what the numbnut New Football sponsor-monkeys say and want.

I suspect no-one in Newcastle refers to the football ground as other than St James Park. Although I understand that Sunderland has got used to the Stadium of Light.

Where the light, or has been for the past few years is a different question. Roker Park had a ‘feel’ to it!
    A least the Stadium of Light is a name with some sort of footballing and historic pedigree (taken from Benfica's ground name and a reference to the lights of the miners). It's not named after some soulless faceless sponsor.

I think St James' Park was officially called the Sports Direct Arena for a while – nobody but nobody ever called it that apart from the quislings on Sky Sports.
    After Ashley changed the name, Wonga bought the naming rights. They decided the name should be St James' Park.

The Wongadome would have been so much classier, I don't think.

So Mike Ashley is being paid so that St James' Park is called St James' Park.

The Mackems missed a trick in not selling the naming rights to their new ground when they moved from Joker Park. Nissan Stadium?

• Options
    edited March 2017
    (deleted)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

felix said:

They haven't yet had the spectacle of May's flustered appearance after long negotiating sessions in Brussels.
    She is not flustered at all, she will put forward a job offer requirement for skilled workers and EU budget contributions in as far as they meet UK obligations. I don't think an SNP platform of 'vote for independence for unlimited immigration from Eastern Europe and more of your money going to the EU' will have huge appeal
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Why don't Arsenal fans just call 'The Emirates', Highbury? I still call it that. It's near enough in Highbury after all (and the old stadium wasn't officially called Highbury either). The new White Hart Lane will be called White Hart Lane I should imagine as it's on the same site, regardless of what the numbnut New Football sponsor-monkeys say and want.

I suspect no-one in Newcastle refers to the football ground as other than St James Park. Although I understand that Sunderland has got used to the Stadium of Light.

Where the light, or has been for the past few years is a different question. Roker Park had a ‘feel’ to it!
    A least the Stadium of Light is a name with some sort of footballing and historic pedigree (taken from Benfica's ground name and a reference to the lights of the miners). It's not named after some soulless faceless sponsor.

I think St James' Park was officially called the Sports Direct Arena for a while – nobody but nobody ever called it that apart from the quislings on Sky Sports.
    So Mike Ashley is being paid so that St James' Park is called St James' Park.
    Genius.

If I were them I change it to St Jame's Park, just to mess with people.

This discussion has been closed.