Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The opening IndyRef2 odds make it odds-on that it’ll take plac

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Pulpstar said:

GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

I am pro Brexit but I am more pro embarrass the Tory government. Come on folks, support the Lords' ammendments...

I hope the pressure will be kept up to reform the Lords by the right wing press even after the bill is passed unamended through the upper chamber.
    Agree. It's about time that Blair's Dirty Compromise House of Meh was put out of its misery.
    Well I think we do need an upper chamber. Elected in thirds by multi member STV with 1 15 year term per lifetime would be my preffered option. But it is a nonsense as it is !
    God, no. It'll be even worse at doing it's task than it is now. We need to look at its role as a revising chamber and make changes to allow it to perform that task better.

The main problem with the HoL isn't the numbers, or the hereditaries. It's the fact it's been stuffed to the gunnels with political has-beens and hanger-on with no real expertise who will follow their party whip and not appy any intelligence to their role. Shami being a classic recent example. Moving to an elected house will just make that situation worse. Better to get rid of it.

However I understand that my 'house of experts' idea hasn't got widespread acceptance. ;)
    Of course it hasn't .... because a House of hobby-horse fanatics and lobbyists would be the worst of all worlds. They'd just be demanding extra money and extra preference for their own pet topics. And we'd never agree who was an 'expert'. The current collapse of the AGW alleged "consensus" being a prime example.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Bojabob said:

Roger said:

isam said:

Roger said:

'Small is beautiful'

'Little England'

'Think Small'

I think England needs a slogan.

"No one likes us, we don't care"?

"We're going to score one more than you"?
    An interesting fact on Marr's radio programme this morning. The SINGLE biggest indicator of a Brexiteer is their attitude to hanging.

They just get more attractive
    Isn't there a huge correlation between being fat, too? i.e. if you are obese and pro-hanging you are almost certain to be a Brexiteer.
    Don't forget the unwashed pants
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,740
    GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

I am pro Brexit but I am more pro embarrass the Tory government. Come on folks, support the Lords' ammendments...

I hope the pressure will be kept up to reform the Lords by the right wing press even after the bill is passed unamended through the upper chamber.
    Agree. It's about time that Blair's Dirty Compromise House of Meh was put out of its misery.
    Well I think we do need an upper chamber. Elected in thirds by multi member STV with 1 15 year term per lifetime would be my preffered option. But it is a nonsense as it is !
    God, no. It'll be even worse at doing it's task than it is now. We need to look at its role as a revising chamber and make changes to allow it to perform that task better.

The main problem with the HoL isn't the numbers, or the hereditaries. It's the fact it's been stuffed to the gunnels with political has-beens and hanger-on with no real expertise who will follow their party whip and not appy any intelligence to their role. Shami being a classic recent example. Moving to an elected house will just make that situation worse. Better to get rid of it.

However I understand that my 'house of experts' idea hasn't got widespread acceptance. ;)
    Of course it hasn't .... because a House of hobby-horse fanatics and lobbyists would be the worst of all worlds. They'd just be demanding extra money and extra preference for their own pet topics. And we'd never agree who was an 'expert'. The current collapse of the AGW alleged "consensus" being a prime example.
    There's no such collapse amongst scientists.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    I look forward to PB very much in the future as the place to be for #indref2.I found indyref1 very enjoyable and somewhat profitable.The debate was always of the highest quality and based on evidence.I hope Malcolm G is well,in training and readying for peak fitness and form when he is asked to perform his duty.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Phew, thank God for that.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,404
    Bojabob said:

What price a greater degree of sympathy from the English?

I can only go with the conversations I have had today (anecdote alert!) but people in London seem much more sympathetic to the idea of Scots Indy than in 2014, because of Brexit.

Does that count for much, in a campaign? (I am not suggesting it does, merely courting opinion)

What may be much more influential is that there'd be no agreement on how to fight a referendum, unlike in 2014. If Corbyn still leads Labour he'll make the Nats arguments for them, a turbocharged version of his dire Brexit performance. This time he'll not just refuse to stand on a platform with May but directly go on about how awful she is while it's plainly apparent that he's about as useful to anyone looking to get rid of her as a eunuch in a sperm bank. The best thing the In side could do is lock him in his allotment shed. May will have to fight it as a chance to remain in a newly confident, liberated Britain, but short of a miracle Brexit deal or a climbdown on a harder Brexit that's not an argument even some of her own cabinet's hearts will be in. Both Scottish Lab and the Scottish Tories have leaders at odds with their rUK equivalents, with the former being in an absolute state, and a lack of consensus as to how to fight a referendum after the failure of Stronger In Europe and you've got a recipe for chaos.

Plus, you're right among rUK remainers on left and right there is some sympathy with motive if not practicality - that the country Scots were asked to remain in no longer exists anyway. Combined with referendum fatigue, the sense that it's Brexiteers' mess, they can be the ones to try and campaign their way out of it, and you've got a sense of apathy.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

I am genuinely sorry that the amendment on EU citizens was defeated. It was a great chance to take the moral highground and set down a standard for the way we were going to behave in the negotiations. I know many people think this weakens our negotiating stance but I think in the long run it would make the whole process of Brexit far better.

If the amendment wasn't from the Lords but was the government's own idea then it may have set down a standard in the negotiations. But if the government was defeated on this having set their nose against it then it would have set a standard that Parliament was divided from the government. That we had a weak government with backseat drivers who could overrule our negotiators.

That would have weakened our negotiations more than the issue at hand.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Pulpstar said:

GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

A good start would be to preclude anyone who had served in the HoC.
    How does virtually every democracy manage to do it ? Even countries which do not elect the second chamber directly, do it by election indirectly. Like , for example, making an electoral college of say, MPs, elected Councillors, Assembly members etc.

This bullshit about experienced people should stop. Why should MPs who lost be kicked upstairs ? Why should senior bureaucrats get the gong . If you really think they make a contribution then put them there but don't give them a vote.

This EU debate shows how farcical this nonsense is. We call it the "revising chamber". They vote by a majority of about 100 in one of the highest turnouts in its entire history.

It is ignored. So the HoL today stands for Fuck All.
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642

I am genuinely sorry that the amendment on EU citizens was defeated. It was a great chance to take the moral highground and set down a standard for the way we were going to behave in the negotiations. I know many people think this weakens our negotiating stance but I think in the long run it would make the whole process of Brexit far better.

Totally agree.

It is pretty shameful that 300+ MPs think effectively threatening 3m with deportation – a position that was too extreme for Nigel Farage – is an any way acceptable.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,053
    Mr. Song, scientists were also resistant to the idea that Newton was wrong about the properties of light ;)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,589

I look forward to PB very much in the future as the place to be for #indref2.I found indyref1 very enjoyable and somewhat profitable.The debate was always of the highest quality and based on evidence.I hope Malcolm G is well,in training and readying for peak fitness and form when he is asked to perform his duty.

Well I found it agony and the idea of it happening again only 4 years later is deeply depressing. But I am up for the fight. £50 to Ruth this afternoon. She promises every penny will go to protecting the Union.
  • Options
    Theresa May is a bloody awful presenter. She is just Mrs Autocue on C4 News. I cannot see her doing well in a Scottish referendum campaign.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,995

If the amendment wasn't from the Lords but was the government's own idea then it may have set down a standard in the negotiations. But if the government was defeated on this having set their nose against it then it would have set a standard that Parliament was divided from the government. That we had a weak government with backseat drivers who could overrule our negotiators.

Really? Saying there is no way I could get this through Parliament looks like a pretty powerful argument to me.

• Options
    Bojabob said:

Totally agree.

It is pretty shameful that 300+ MPs think effectively threatening 3m with deportation – a position that was too extreme for Nigel Farage – is an any way acceptable.
    They're not threatening anyone with deportation.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Freggles said:

Bojabob said:

Roger said:

isam said:

Roger said:

'Small is beautiful'

'Little England'

'Think Small'

I think England needs a slogan.

"No one likes us, we don't care"?

"We're going to score one more than you"?
    An interesting fact on Marr's radio programme this morning. The SINGLE biggest indicator of a Brexiteer is their attitude to hanging.

They just get more attractive
    Isn't there a huge correlation between being fat, too? i.e. if you are obese and pro-hanging you are almost certain to be a Brexiteer.
    Don't forget the unwashed pants
    People with massive tattoos ? Which side wins. I think Brexiters win by a landslide.
  • Options
    Mr. L, I'm sorry Scotland seems set to be plunged into more years of fractious campaigning after the EU and previous independence votes.

Best of luck to you in the campaign ahead.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Totally agree.

Yep - I had hoped we were a bigger and better country than that.

• Options
    Bojabob said:

Don't be silly. For a start, no-one is threatening anyone with deportation. This is not about who can stay in the UK - there's not a single signficant figure anywhere in the debate saying that EU citizens who are resident here won't be able to stay, not even Nigel Farage as you point out. What this is about is negotiating the terms under which they can stay - in particular, who pays for things like their healthcare., and who pays for the healthcare of Brits living in the EU27. It would be beyond barmy for the UK to give the EU27 a blank cheque on that.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,355

Bojabob said:

Totally agree.

They're making a statement that they could if they wanted to. It's meant to unsettle and destabilise.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Theresa May is a bloody awful presenter. She is just Mrs Autocue on C4 News. I cannot see her doing well in a Scottish referendum campaign.

She needs a charisma transplant !
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Mr. Song, scientists were also resistant to the idea that Newton was wrong about the properties of light ;)

On the Subject of Newton - Following the 1707 union of the crowns, Scottish silver coinage was replaced with new silver coins, with the aim of creating a common currency for the new Kingdom of Great Britain, Isaac Newton, who had overseen something similar in England a few years earlier, was appointed to the task.
  • Options

Really? Saying there is no way I could get this through Parliament looks like a pretty powerful argument to me.

Only if those you are dealing with need the deal as much as you do and don't think , well that's your problem.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Well I found it agony and the idea of it happening again only 4 years later is deeply depressing. But I am up for the fight. £50 to Ruth this afternoon. She promises every penny will go to protecting the Union.
    £100 for Sturgeon then.
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233
    Bojabob said:

Totally agree.

They're being threatened with reciprocity. Their fate rests with their own governments - "our friends in Europe", in Lord Heseltine's ringing phrase.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,816

Bojabob said:

Totally agree.

In that case why not support the amendment?
  • Options

Merkel's visit to Trump cancelled due to impending storm - bit like the meeting would be

Ha ha ha ! Or, is it fake news ?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,334
    edited March 2017
    Bojabob said:

She actually has better poll ratings in Scotland than Cameron did, Scots prefer dull to flashy, after all Darling beat Salmond in the last indyref and Brown did better in Scotland in 2010 than Blair did in 2005. Though I expect Davidson will front the No campaign this time
  • Options
    Mr. StClare, I did know he worked at the Bank of England, but was unaware it was at that particular time.

Very clever chap, but also vindictive, and his views in certain areas (notably light) were held up as infallible which retarded progress needlessly. Theories and individuals ought not be put on pedestals in science.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,327
    GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

That's perhaps because you don't know, or have forgotten, the proposal.

As for 'hobby-horse fanatics': nope. You can have experts without fanaticism.

BTW, what 'collapse' of the AGW alleged "consensus" ?
  • Options

Mr. L, I'm sorry Scotland seems set to be plunged into more years of fractious campaigning after the EU and previous independence votes.

Appreciated.
  • Options

If Parliament were more Hardcore than the government them yes. That is how it works in America the Senators play "bad cop". Reality is the opposite. Instead it would be a case here of the EU making an outrageous demand, our negotiators say we don't accept that and their negotiators say "your Parliament will though".
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Don't be silly. For a start, no-one is threatening anyone with deportation. This is not about who can stay in the UK - there's not a single signficant figure anywhere in the debate saying that EU citizens who are resident here won't be able to stay, not even Nigel Farage as you point out. What this is about is negotiating the terms under which they can stay - in particular, who pays for things like their healthcare., and who pays for the healthcare of Brits living in the EU27. It would be beyond barmy for the UK to give the EU27 a blank cheque on that.
    Then the government is guaranteeing their rights to remain as permanent residents? Good news. But, if so, why not say so?
  • Options

Bojabob said:

How can it be about agreeing terms if you are prepared to let people stay no matter what? And if you are prepared to let them stay no matter what, agree to the amendment.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Merkel's visit to Trump cancelled due to impending storm - bit like the meeting would be

Ha ha ha ! Or, is it fake news ?
    Apparently not
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Only if those you are dealing with need the deal as much as you do and don't think , well that's your problem.

I thought they needed a deal more than us.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117

Bojabob said:

Totally agree.

Yep - I had hoped we were a bigger and better country than that.

That's not quite true is it? MPs have simply voted on if it should be part of the bill or not. It's got nothing to do with what they think we should do with the 3m EU citizens here.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Mortimer said:

RoyalBlue said:

It was noticeable just now that after the division on the meaningful vote amendment was announced, there was a row of Tory MPs who didn't get up. I'm pretty sure Nicky Morgan was one; maybe the whips have persuaded them to abstain rather than oppose?

Would that be the Nicky Morgan who thought she might be in the running for the leadership last year?
    DavidL said:

Appreciated.
    You will not be alone. Last time I went up to Galashiels for a long weekend.

If it happens again I'll make it 3 weeks.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,436
    edited March 2017
    DavidL said:

Going towards batch order of SLab badges for campaigning in Scotland's rougher estates, or has that ship long sailed?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,054

DavidL said:

I thought they needed a deal more than us.

Lol. No.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    surbiton said:

Bojabob said:

She needs a charisma transplant !
    I wouldn't call merkel exciting and she win's elections.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

I've got a feeling everyone in Scotland who voted 'Yes' last time will still vote 'Yes', however some who voted 'No' due to economic fears will now vote 'Yes'. I can see 'Yes' winning because of this...

The truth is that hardly anyone is coming to this question fresh. We had a two year campaign last time so there will be relatively few people changing their minds. I think there will be some Yes voters who will switch to No just as there are some going the other way. Most Scots are nationalist with a small 'n' but they are not necessarily SNP nationalists and some are very pro-Union, but from the perspective of Scotland's place in the world. The SNP have done a good job of claiming nationalism for itself, but it may not hold out for the next referendum. Some advice for Theresa May, assuming she wants to preserve the Union: don't try to divide and rule in Scotland. Long term it never works.

The fact that the economics are even worse than last time won't change many minds I suspect. The key motivations will be whether Scots collectively think they need to get on with it or put an end to it.
    The repetition of this argument is depressing down here in London, God knows how it must feel in Scotland. I wonder if Sturgeon could lose simply because people can't bear the endless constitutional turmoil and horrible, divisive arguing.

Because if she wins the divorce with England will take ten years of bickering. Again, making Brexit look like a walk in Regent's Park.
    Just think, after 3 or 4 years of Brexit non-stop until a deal is done or not in 2019, after a Yes vote soon after we could then move straight on to have 3 or 4 years of Scexit non-stop until a deal is done or not, what fun!
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Totally agree.

They're being threatened with reciprocity. Their fate rests with their own governments - "our friends in Europe", in Lord Heseltine's ringing phrase.

No, their fate rests with us. The fact that other countries may decide to treat British nationals appallingly does not oblige us to do the same. We should aspire to be bigger and better than that. Sadly, it seems that we do not.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,436

Let's hope we can get by without incomers getting beaten up, or God forbid, someone getting shot.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,355
    Bojabob said:

Just watch her before she starts speaking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsaaYp7cGiY
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,803
    if HoC has rejected it gets a "meaningful vote", hard to see how HoL can force them to have one
  • Options

DavidL said:

Going towards batch order of SLab badges for campaigning in Scotland's rougher estates, or has that ship long sailed?
    Probably but I will do all I can for my country.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

When did a Union Jack get put in the cabinet room?

• Options

Bojabob said:

Running through her lines in her head.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,060

The Government could easily have done what it has done with many other amendments over the years which would be to amend it itself so as to keep the effect but make it more suited to their needs. There was absolutely no reason to reject it out of hand.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Totally agree.

No, their fate rests with us. The fact that other countries may decide to treat British nationals appallingly does not oblige us to do the same. We should aspire to be bigger and better than that. Sadly, it seems that we do not.

I have reluctantly concluded this must be right. Whilst I understand the negotiation point we are simply better than this.
  • Options

How can it be about agreeing terms if you are prepared to let people stay no matter what? And if you are prepared to let them stay no matter what, agree to the amendment.

Well, if you mean that the government could have agreed the amendment but sneaked in a proviso in the actual terms whereby EU citizens would have to pay £50K a year to cover healthcare, then, yes, I suppose you are right. That would meet the terms of the amendment, but somehow I don't think EU citizens living here would be very happy with it.

This is a negotiation. The devil is, as always, in the detail. You can't negotiate by parliamentary resolution.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Then the government is guaranteeing their rights to remain as permanent residents? Good news. But, if so, why not say so?
    because their governments wont reciprocate for our citizens or cant you quite understand that ?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,327

Mr. StClare, I did know he worked at the Bank of England, but was unaware it was at that particular time.

Very clever chap, but also vindictive, and his views in certain areas (notably light) were held up as infallible which retarded progress needlessly. Theories and individuals ought not be put on pedestals in science.

I'm currently re-reading Stephen Inwood's excellent book: "The man who knew too much", a biography of Robert Hooke. Newton doesn't come out to well in it.

IMO some theories should be put on pedestals: however we should be all too read to put a jackhammer to the pedestal if required.

Hooke's 'Micrographia' is a masterpiece:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micrographia
    http://lhldigital.lindahall.org/cdm/ref/collection/nat_hist/id/0
  • Options

if HoC has rejected it gets a "meaningful vote", hard to see how HoL can force them to have one

The Lords lie down to get their tummies tickled now.

Except it seems for the so - called Liberal Democrats.
  • Options
    Not one conservative MP voted for the second amendment - the whips must have played a blinder
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Bojabob said:

Totally agree.

I have reluctantly concluded this must be right. Whilst I understand the negotiation point we are simply better than this.
    Richard Nabavi raised this very same point before the vote..........
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Totally agree.

The amendment was not just about residency it guaranteed all "rights". So EU citizens in the UK couldn't just reside here but have guaranteed rights to the NHS, the welfare state etc while UK citizens would have no reciprocal rights.
  • Options
    Labour in Lords say they will approve the bill tonight - no more ping pong
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Totally agree.

One of the reasons.

One of the tory MP's said if the amendment was voted through ,the EU nationals who shouldn't be given the right to stay like EU nationals in brit prisons wouldn't have been able to be sent home.

4000 apparently in brit prisons.
  • Options
    WHO IS UP FOR A UNITED IRELAND REFERENDUM :D
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

Bojabob said:

Totally agree.

I agree. What annoys me is when the likes of Nick Clegg won't acknowledge that the expulsion of Brits from the EU would be appalling behaviour. His words in the Commons tonight were "they didn't pick the fight."

• Options

Bojabob said:

Totally agree.

so by extension our European partners are total cnts
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

I've got a feeling everyone in Scotland who voted 'Yes' last time will still vote 'Yes', however some who voted 'No' due to economic fears will now vote 'Yes'. I can see 'Yes' winning because of this...

The truth

The fact that the economics are even worse than last time won't change many minds I suspect. The key motivations will be whether Scots collectively think they need to get on with it or put an end to it.
    The repetition of this argument is depressing down here in London, God knows how it must feel in Scotland. I wonder if Sturgeon could lose simply because people can't bear the endless constitutional turmoil and horrible, divisive arguing.

Because if she wins the divorce with England will take ten years of bickering. Again, making Brexit look like a walk in Regent's Park.
    Just think, after 3 or 4 years of Brexit non-stop until a deal is done or not in 2019, after a Yes vote soon after we could then move straight on to have 3 or 4 years of Scexit non-stop until a deal is done or not, what fun!
    Yeah, but everything will surely be sorted by about 2029, so cheer up.

I've actually just realised that by the time all this is done and dusted, my 10 year old daughters could be in their early 20s.

Indescribably depressing. It is the worst of all possible Brexits, but we were given no choice. Hopefully there will be a war which will speed things up or cancel all politics.
    Yes, this could well dominate the next decade, though I am not quite sure I would go so far as to back WW3 to stop it
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Who would get to vote in that - would the South have to agree to take them?
  • Options
    The House of Commons has just voted to deny the British people any further say over Brexit.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

That's perhaps because you don't know, or have forgotten, the proposal.

As for 'hobby-horse fanatics': nope. You can have experts without fanaticism.

BTW, what 'collapse' of the AGW alleged "consensus" ?
    If you give someone a seat on a committee or a board or in a House on the basis that they are the Weather Forecasting bloke or the Biscuit Industry guy or the IT geek then they'd be pretty much monoglot to the point of tedium on their subject.

And certainly not to the extent of telling the world that their subject wasn't actually very interesting and it didn't really deserve any special funding, and certainly not its own dedicated Govt Dept with a big flag outside.
  • Options

The Government could easily have done what it has done with many other amendments over the years which would be to amend it itself so as to keep the effect but make it more suited to their needs. There was absolutely no reason to reject it out of hand.
    But once they had rejected it, it was critical the Commons respected that.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

She calculates and thinks before she speaks, unlike some politicians I can think of
  • Options

The House of Commons has just voted to deny the British people any further say over Brexit.

The British People have just had the *ultimate* say over Brexit.
  • Options

They can vote on the terms at the next general election, they have already voted to Leave
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,060

I'm currently re-reading Stephen Inwood's excellent book: "The man who knew too much", a biography of Robert Hooke. Newton doesn't come out to well in it.

IMO some theories should be put on pedestals: however we should be all too read to put a jackhammer to the pedestal if required.

Hooke's 'Micrographia' is a masterpiece:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micrographia
    http://lhldigital.lindahall.org/cdm/ref/collection/nat_hist/id/0
    I am definitely on the side of Leibniz in the great Calculus debate.

Mind you since I hated calculus with a vengeance that is not necessarily a good thing.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

because their governments wont reciprocate for our citizens or cant you quite understand that ?
    No I understand it fully. Two wrongs don't make a right – it's pretty disgusting behaviour by both sides, I'm afraid. Human beings are not bargaining chips.
  • Options

They British public next get their say in May 2020.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Probably not the Irish, though I doubt the English would be that bothered, the loyalist paramilitaries rather more so
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

No I understand it fully. Two wrongs don't make a right – it's pretty disgusting behaviour by both sides, I'm afraid. Human beings are not bargaining chips.
    Yes they are. Especially when you're talking about a black cheque on all "rights"
  • Options

What rubbish. Shall we put each clause of every treaty we sign to the popular vote?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,707
    Jon Snow losing his shit on C4 News. Retirement surely long overdue.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

It appears for the EU they are

hardly a surprise
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

What rubbish. Shall we put each clause of every treaty we sign to the popular vote?

It's a matter of fact.

• Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

The truth

Yeah, but everything will surely be sorted by about 2029, so cheer up.

I've actually just realised that by the time all this is done and dusted, my 10 year old daughters could be in their early 20s.

Indescribably depressing. It is the worst of all possible Brexits, but we were given no choice. Hopefully there will be a war which will speed things up or cancel all politics.
    'We were given no choice.'

Sadly we were, and we chose very very badly indeed.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, is Hooke the chap whom Newton caused to be seriously neglected by history?

Anyway, I'm afraid I must be off.
  • Options

Not on Brexit. That will be done by then. The people are no longer part of the equation. The Tories have voted to remove them from the process.

• Options

Bojabob said:

Totally agree.

One of the reasons.

One of the tory MP's said if the amendment was voted through ,the EU nationals who shouldn't be given the right to stay like EU nationals in brit prisons wouldn't have been able to be sent home.

Three million EU citizens here – most of them making important contributions to our companies, schools and civic life. You are supporting a position that was too extreme for Nigel Farage.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    edited March 2017

The House of Commons has actually just voted to overturn the interference of an unelected body.

Voting on HoL originated amendments, innit.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    SeanT said:

I'm genuinely and literally unsure I have the energy for this any more. Brexit. Joxit. Fuxit. Indyref. TRUMP.

There's just been too much politics. I'm tired of arguing. It's gonna be the same Brexit arguments for the next two years, and exactly the same indyref arguments for the next three/four years.

As FF43 says, will anyone change their minds? In Scotland? In the UK?

If there is one thing that would make me regret my Brexit vote it is the arse-aching, scrotum-numbing tedium of it all. And the waste of time and energy.

I am close to taking a vow of silence. I have books to write, daughters to raise, money to make, women to chase, fruitlessly or otherwise. I may retreat to the personal. Enuff.
    Bye.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

They can vote on the terms at the next general election, they have already voted to Leave

So we will have a general election before the Brexit deal is signed?

• Options
    GeoffM said:

No, they haven't. The ultimate say would have been over the Brexit deal done. We get no say at all over that.

• Options
    Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Totally agree.

One of the reasons.

Three million EU citizens here – most of them making important contributions to our companies, schools and civic life. You are supporting a position that was too extreme for Nigel Farage.
    How ?

HMG has aready said it is prepared to respect the rights of resident EU citizens only EU intransigence is stopping this being put to bed
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Totally agree.

One of the reasons.

I am when it's real life for me pal.
  • Options

Not on Brexit. That will be done by then. The people are no longer part of the equation. The Tories have voted to remove them from the process.

So what? We live in a Parliamentary democracy. When did the British people any say, let alone any further say, on whether to invade Iraq? How were the people in the process then?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117

GeoffM said:

No, they haven't. The ultimate say would have been over the Brexit deal done. We get no say at all over that.

So Parliament rejects the final Brexit deal. Then what?
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Probably but I will do all I can for my country.
    Traipsing through the mean streets of Lochee, Fintry, Kirkton and Douglas for the Union.
    What a trooper. More people like your good self we'd still have an Empire.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

You're being emotional. Do you really think that Brexit is like going to a restaurant where we get to pick from a menu?

It will be a dynamic negotiation between two independent actors. If you don't like what results, don't vote Tory.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

No after, if the British people want to rejoin the single market and restore all uncontrolled free movement they can vote LD
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No after, if the British people want to rejoin the single market and restore all uncontrolled free movement they can vote LD

That is not the same as having any say over the Brexit deal, of course. We are now irrelevant to what is decided.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That is not the same as having any say over the Brexit deal, of course. We are now irrelevant to what is decided.

Just as we would have been irrelevant had we voted to stay.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Noo fred....

and - last!
  • Options

Noo fred....

and - last!

No...last!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,707
    If Indyref 2 happens, and Scotland votes for independence, I'll be devastated, but not to the extent of regretting Brexit. Better by far a free England than a subject Britain.

That said, I think this is a mistake by Sturgeon, albeit one she had little choice but to make. The message has to be that Scotland has to vote heavily against this just to send a message that the SNP can't keep doing this to the country every time the wind changes.
This discussion has been closed.