Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The opening IndyRef2 odds make it odds-on that it’ll take plac

Comments

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,060

John_M said:

More than 17m people voted for it. That *quite* a big craving.

No, that's how many people turned out when forced to make a binary choice after a woeful campaign. The number who actually craved this was far far smaller.
    How many actually crave the EU?
    Well there's me... That's one...

Seriously though, think of all the wasted energy since the downfall of Thatcher that's been spent on endless debates about Europe. If we had just accepted that we were in the EU to stay and that was the end of the matter, we'd have been able to spend all of that time so much more productively. However much some people may struggle with the concept, it's who we are.
    It's who you think we are. I prefer my interlocutors to at least admit the validity of different views. I struggle to see why any nation would make an open ended and permanent commitment to any organisation. Zealotry of any stripe is deeply unattractive.
    All members of the EU remain sovereign so any commitment is only permanent as long as we chose for it to be. The very fact we are currently debating the process of withdrawal from the EU bears this out.

That does not change the fact that constantly agitating for withdrawal and trying to undermine the EU itself has been thoroughly self-defeating and corrosive to our politics for a very long time.
    Ah yet again William shows both his ignorance and his contempt for basic facts. We have been over this many times before William and every time you have been proved to be a feckwit. Don't make yourself look dumb yet again.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    Jahadi Jez peddling fake news....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39260176
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,815
    Hilary Benn is an impressive parliamentary performer.

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Pong said:

Brexit is turning out to be even more hopeless and depressing than I feared it would be.

The leavers have torn my country apart.

Nope. There has never been a country called the UK. It is a Unitary State made up of four different countries. No one has touched your country -whichever one you live in.
    I am with Pong on this one. I regard the UK as my country and it will be diminished if Scotland is no longer a part of it. I have been hanging around online today to see if any leavers would have the good grace to concede that they would have voted differently if they had thought that the end of the UK would be the result. Haven't seen one yet, but they must exist.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    "I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime" - Lovely words from my favourite song about the UK
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Pong said:

Brexit is turning out to be even more hopeless and depressing than I feared it would be.

Nope. There has never been a country called the UK. It is a Unitary State made up of four different countries. No one has touched your country -whichever one you live in.
    I am with Pong on this one. I regard the UK as my country and it will be diminished if Scotland is no longer a part of it. I have been hanging around online today to see if any leavers would have the good grace to concede that they would have voted differently if they had thought that the end of the UK would be the result. Haven't seen one yet, but they must exist.
    I will feel more than a twinge of sadness if the Scots leave, but all Leavers would agree that if that's what they decide, no-one has a right to deny them.

The needs of the 8% should not outweigh those of the 92%. The Scots are not The Elect.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Pong said:

THE SNP leader and First Minister Alex Salmond attempted to break the union long before the EU referendum was called. Nicola Sturgeon, is now attempting to do exactly the same under the pretext of the EU referendum which she’d still have done, irrespective of the result.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Omnium said:

chestnut said:

Some data:

Feb 2017: Panelbase: Next Referendum

Pre Brexit – 32%
    Post Brexit – 19%
    Not in the next 20 years – 25%
    Never – 24%

TCTC

Nov 2016: Yougov Scotland

Referendum Pre Brexit - 39%
    No Referendum Pre Brexit - 61%

The most pro-referendum voters are under 35, C2DE etc.

It very much looks to me that Sturgeon has picked the wrong fight at the wrong time and is relying on the wrong demographic for support. Additionally,

SNP Unionists as a proportion of the SNP vote as:

16% Ipsos Mori
    22% Panelbase
    25% Yougov

If this action alienates this element of the SNP vote we could start to see the SNP on sub 40% fairly soon.

Sturgeon has to fight now. Scotland seeking independence once the UK has left the EU means that they'd have to agree a slightly painful exit from the UK and a slightly painful joining of the EU. There's just a chance that Scotland can sail through the battles and find itself in clear waters.
    The numbers don't look promising for her. All the polls are essentially saying she only has the least reliable voters.

Strategically, I really think they should be backing Brexit, then Anglosphere trade - and then going for Indy once it is all in place around 2025 whilst building the necessary separatist structures through staged devolution.

Impatience is going to be her undoing.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

Pong said:

What I find odd is that everyone assumes Yes would win a second independence referendum. I think that's far from certain.

I was neutral on the last Sindref and I'll be neutral again. As a Brexiteer, however, every time this was used as a reason for voting Remain, I couldn't help but think "two birds, one stone."
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    RoyalBlue said:

Pong said:

I will feel more than a twinge of sadness if the Scots leave, but all Leavers would agree that if that's what they decide, no-one has a right to deny them.

The needs of the 8% should not outweigh those of the 92%. The Scots are not The Elect.
    I hope everyone would agree they have the right to decide. One of the things I like about the UK is that it is the voluntary union between Scotland and England.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    chestnut said:

Omnium said:

chestnut said:

Some data:

Pre Brexit – 32%
    Post Brexit – 19%
    Never – 24%

TCTC

It very much looks to me that Sturgeon has picked the wrong fight at the wrong time and is relying on the wrong demographic for support. Additionally,

16% Ipsos Mori
    22% Panelbase
    25% Yougov

If this action alienates this element of the SNP vote we could start to see the SNP on sub 40% fairly soon.

Sturgeon has to fight now. Scotland seeking independence once the UK has left the EU means that they'd have to agree a slightly painful exit from the UK and a slightly painful joining of the EU. There's just a chance that Scotland can sail through the battles and find itself in clear waters.
    The numbers don't look promising for her. All the polls are essentially saying she only has the least reliable voters.

Strategically, I really think they should be backing Brexit, then Anglosphere trade - and then going for Indy once it is all in place around 2025 whilst building the necessary separatist structures through staged devolution.

Patience lost the Quebec separatist the referendum.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,053
    edited March 2017
    I am in favour of the Scots choosing their own destiny. The SNP & Greens have a majority in the Scottish parliament I believe - and as it was in the SNP manifesto then I think the question can be asked again...

But it is not a done deal for the SNP. In particular what happens if they lose again ?

My biggest question to supporters of independence is what tax rises and/or spending cuts are you prepared to make in order to reduce Scotland's deficit to 3%.

I believe the EU will be receptive to the Scots remaining/rejoining if they can meet this hurdle (Of course they will have to adopt the Euro as well), the 3% issue is the big one for me though. They will not want another Greece like situation.

But just how will this 3% be met ? A Scotland outside both the EU and the UK is surely an economic disaster.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,355
    O/T Of particular interest to @CarlottaVance - Merkel is flying to Washington to meet Trump tomorrow.
  • Options

Pong said:

It doesn't matter what you think. Factually you are wrong and there are many millions in both England and Scotland who rightly do not consider the UK as a country.

And why should it be 'good grace to concede' something that is meaningless for me. I campaigned for Scottish Independence last time round on the basis that I wanted Scotland as a good neighbour and friend rather than a reluctant servant.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Pong said:

I hope everyone would agree they have the right to decide. One of the things I like about the UK is that it is the voluntary union between Scotland and England.
    If the Scots truly want out because of our EU membership decision, then the Union is already dead. A referendum would merely ratify that.

I still think the nationalists will lose.
  • Options

O/T Of particular interest to @CarlottaVance - Merkel is flying to Washington to meet Trump tomorrow.

Briefing has indicated it could be very fractious
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Tough words from Dominic Grieve.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,607
    Omnium said:

chestnut said:

Some data:

Pre Brexit – 32%
    Post Brexit – 19%
    Never – 24%

TCTC

16% Ipsos Mori
    22% Panelbase
    25% Yougov

I think both entities, both the UK and the EU will be more benevolent towards their former constituents.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,853
    Pulpstar said:

I don't IndyRef II is a done deal for the SNP. In particular what happens if they lose again ?

May can probably play to that. It's entirely sensible to insist that Indy2 is a vote for a particular plan. (Brexit has taught us this.., she can easily say.) If the SNP have to put together a plan for the precise terms of Scotland's leaving the Union then they won't be able to.

I can't see us having another woolly referendum in the UK.
  • Options
    If I was May, I'd be tempted to delay triggering A50 and make Scotland have their referendum on June 1. And then take it from there once we know their decision.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't IndyRef II is a done deal for the SNP. In particular what happens if they lose again ?

May can probably play to that. It's entirely sensible to insist that Indy2 is a vote for a particular plan. (Brexit has taught us this.., she can easily say.) If the SNP have to put together a plan for the precise terms of Scotland's leaving the Union then they won't be able to.

I can't see us having another woolly referendum in the UK.
    It will absolutely have to be legally binding. And the SNP must know that politically speaking this is their very very last chance - at least till all of us on this board have shuffled off this mortal coil at least.

Its really double or quits stuff, fair play to Sturgeon for pushing all her chips into the middle with a middle pair.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pong said:

What I find odd is that everyone assumes Yes would win a second independence referendum. I think that's far from certain.

I was neutral on the last Sindref and I'll be neutral again. As a Brexiteer, however, every time this was used as a reason for voting Remain, I couldn't help but think "two birds, one stone."
    "I couldn't help but think "two birds, one stone." ". Neutral, huh ?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,607
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Pong said:

If the Scots truly want out because of our EU membership decision, then the Union is already dead. A referendum would merely ratify that.

The psychological barrier has been broken so it will be less of a leap in the dark than previously. If I were Scots I would not be rushing to maintain the Union.
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642
    tlg86 said:

Pong said:

Why? If you were neutral, then who or what are the two birds?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    I've got a feeling everyone in Scotland who voted 'Yes' last time will still vote 'Yes', however some who voted 'No' due to economic fears will now vote 'Yes'. I can see 'Yes' winning because of this...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

tlg86 said:

Pong said:

"I couldn't help but think "two birds, one stone." ". Neutral, huh ?
    They have a fucking good deal with the Barnett formula, but if they are so desperate to stay in the EU (if that's possible), then good luck to them. I really couldn't care and if that upsets Remainers, tough.
  • Options
    What price a greater degree of sympathy from the English?

I can only go with the conversations I have had today (anecdote alert!) but people in London seem much more sympathetic to the idea of Scots Indy than in 2014, because of Brexit.

Does that count for much, in a campaign? (I am not suggesting it does, merely courting opinion)
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I've got a feeling everyone in Scotland who voted 'Yes' last time will still vote 'Yes', however some who voted 'No' due to economic fears will now vote 'Yes'. I can see 'Yes' winning because of this...

Currency (less so), and 3% deficit (The big one) are the two big hurdles I think.
    Long term Scotland sorting itself out to 3% is of course a good thing - but in the short term it means alot of actual austerity politics or big tax rises.
  • Options
    Royal Blue

No idea yet. No is the value bet I guess!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,052
    Mr. Gate, lots of people seem to think that, but it seems a bit illogical to me (doesn't mean it's untrue, of course).

Suppose us leaving the EU works wonderfully. Then what's the problem?

Suppose us leaving the EU is dreadful. Why, then, seek to reproduce the dreadfulness on a four-to-fivefold scale by leaving the UK?
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    edited March 2017
    TOPPING said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Pong said:

The psychological barrier has been broken so it will be less of a leap in the dark than previously. If I were Scots I would not be rushing to maintain the Union.
    I think the likely prospect of the Tories in power for the foreseeable future is going to tip it in favour of them leaving.

Another thing to pin the blame on Jeremy Corbyn for!
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

I can only go with the conversations I have had today (anecdote alert!) but people in London seem much more sympathetic to the idea of Scots Indy than in 2014, because of Brexit.

Does that count for much, in a campaign? (I am not suggesting it does, merely courting opinion)

If the English are more sympathetic to independence, that will make more Scots vote no.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Edit: BudG corrected original post.

Again my question to the nats, how will you meet the EU's 3% target.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Maybe, but with oil half it was in 2014, £18billion gone from loss of Barnet, Out of UK = out of EU and still no plans for a Scottish Currency or Central Bank, personally I'm not so sure.

One good thing to come out of today’s developments, Scottish polling is about to become interesting again.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Hon. Ladies and Gents, do your duty by your people and vote against these foolish amendments.
  • Options
    Mr. Blue, there was a study in the late 80s or early 90s studying homophobic attitudes. Unsurprisingly, they were against gay rights as next of kin, adoption, marriage etc.

However, when primed with information that gay people opposed the extension of such rights to include themselves, the homophobes actually wanted gay rights to be increased.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Bojabob said:

If the English are more sympathetic to independence, that will make more Scots vote no.
    If the English media are more sympathetic...
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Yes wins as long as Corbyn is labour leadership.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,036
    Let them vote!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    On topic, I agree with Mike.

Can't see value in the Scindy odds.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

I can see some people who thought the referendum was a good idea last time are now utterly sick of referendums, see huge problems with areas of public services that are devolved to Holyrood and will punish the SNP at the ballot box for being a single issue party.
  • Options
    I am pro Brexit but I am more pro embarrass the Tory government. Come on folks, support the Lords' ammendments...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

If I was May, I'd be tempted to delay triggering A50 and make Scotland have their referendum on June 1. And then take it from there once we know their decision.

The problem with that is that last time a No vote was a vote for predictability and stability. You can't play that card if the Brexit plan isn't visible.
  • Options

I am pro Brexit but I am more pro embarrass the Tory government. Come on folks, support the Lords' ammendments...

I hope the pressure will be kept up to reform the Lords by the right wing press even after the bill is passed unamended through the upper chamber.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

surbiton said:

felix said:

Doesn't quite roll off the tongue like 'Pound' or 'euro' does it? how many haggis will you get for one 'all in good time'?
    I hope they don't make the same mistake as last time. Either Scot£ or Euro.

When some smartarse will say how bad the Euro is, the Scot reply should be : if it is good enough for Germany, France, Netherlands, Finland etc. , it should be good enough for Scotland.

or, if 200 nations in the world can have their own currency, then so can Scotland.

Fact: 2003 £1 = € 1.41. Today £1 = € 1.15.
    SO if we had joined the Euro we would now be stuck in a seriously overvalued currency trying to sell into our largest market, England. Yeah, that would help.
    Your reply encapsulates this country's problem. Our productivity is so low that the only way we can compete is by serial devaluations rather than investing to improve productivity.

I have worked with Germans for 31 years and I can honestly say we put in more hours than them. You will have difficulty getting hold of anyone after 12:00 on Fridays and after 4:00pm on most days. Yet official stats show they produce in 4 days what we do in 5.

Devaluation is our drug of choice. But it gives only temporary relief because the very thing that makes our products cheaper in the world markets also makes our imports dearer and whole cycle of increased costs start all over again making our exports gradually uncompetitive.

We blame the Euro because we will blame anything Euro. No one can explain why the exchange rates since the birth of the Euro has been:

1999 £1 = € 1.50. Today £1 = € 1.15

And, it is not interest rates that is propping up the Euro. Their interest rates are even lower than ours. The bond yields in Germany and France are actually negative. Yet people have faith in the currency despite Greece etc.

We go on about Greece. It is less than 1% of the EU GDP.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,355
    RobD said:

Let them vote!

Clear the lobbies, and the bars, and the public houses!
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Pulpstar said:

I hope the pressure will be kept up to reform the Lords by the right wing press even after the bill is passed unamended through the upper chamber.
    Agree. It's about time that Blair's Dirty Compromise House of Meh was put out of its misery.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,950
    Evening all :)

I know there are great issues of moment at the,er, moment but I only have eyes for Prestbury.

Day 1 at Cheltenham tomorrow and four probably to avoid as they may well be carrying my money (and very nice money it is too).

1.30: BUNK OFF EARLY
    2.05: ROYAL CAVIAR (yes, I know ALTIOR probably wins but there are better 1/4 shots out there)
    3.30: PETIT MOUCHOIR
    4.10: VROUM VROUM NAG

The prices for the four currently with Hills are 11/2, 14/1, 7/1 and 11/4 so get a couple home in your Lucky 15 and you'll be happy.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,707

I can't see this happening, or can I?

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/841309743402631168

From the same logic that gave us Obama backing remain...Or was that buggering remain?
    Please let this happen.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,976
    'Small is beautiful'

'Little England'

'Think Small'

I think England needs a slogan.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

I can see some people who thought the referendum was a good idea last time are now utterly sick of referendums, see huge problems with areas of public services that are devolved to Holyrood and will punish the SNP at the ballot box for being a single issue party.
    Brutally punished in 2015 as post failed Indy ref the Scottish people recognised the SNP were irrelevant, brutally punished in 2016 as their irrelevance pro Indy playform was rejectd by 90% of the population and about to be punished again at the council elections.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

Agree. It's about time that Blair's Dirty Compromise House of Meh was put out of its misery.
    Well I think we do need an upper chamber. Elected in thirds by multi member STV with 1 15 year term per lifetime would be my preffered option. But it is a nonsense as it is !
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, Rule Britannia? :)
  • Options
    If Scotland does decide to leave, what ruse will the Commons come up with to force them to stay/filibuster the process etc?

Advisory?
    Who will be the next Gina Miller??
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

A gigantic amount of wishful thinking in that post.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

Brutally punished in 2015 as post failed Indy ref the Scottish people recognised the SNP were irrelevant, brutally punished in 2016 as their irrelevance pro Indy playform was rejectd by 90% of the population and about to be punished again at the council elections.
    wait - they had actually called a second referendum and set a date in 2015 and 2016 ?

• Options
    Roger said:

'Small is beautiful'

'Little England'

'Think Small'

"No one likes us, we don't care"?

"We're going to score one more than you"?
  • Options
    @Alistair How do you propose Scotland gets to 3% deficit though ? As a new member the EU will expect Scotland to play to the rules in a way older members can fudge. Thems the breaks I think.
  • Options
    isam said:

Roger said:

'Small is beautiful'

'Little England'

'Think Small'

Millwall usually loses.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited March 2017
    Bojabob said:

Does it reaffirm what we already know? Some remainers see Sindy as a second front?

It does seem a bit disingenuous, mind.

SIndy is, after all, Brexit's sister.

The emotional pull that drives Sturgeon and posters on here like TUD and MalcolmG is precisely the same one that Leavers had.

I would imagine that most Brexiteers can completely understand the emotional attraction the Scot Nats feel towards sovereignty and self governance. It's the details that look a little less persuasive as our ties are so much deeper.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,895

The truth is that hardly anyone is coming to this question fresh. We had a two year campaign last time so there will be relatively few people changing their minds. I think there will be some Yes voters who will switch to No just as there are some going the other way. Most Scots are nationalist with a small 'n' but they are not necessarily SNP nationalists and some are very pro-Union, but from the perspective of Scotland's place in the world. The SNP have done a good job of claiming nationalism for itself, but it may not hold out for the next referendum. Some advice for Theresa May, assuming she wants to preserve the Union: don't try to divide and rule in Scotland. Long term it never works.

The fact that the economics are even worse than last time won't change many minds I suspect. The key motivations will be whether Scots collectively think they need to get on with it or put an end to it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

Well I think we do need an upper chamber. Elected in thirds by multi member STV with 1 15 year term per lifetime would be my preferred option. But it is a nonsense as it is !
    I think on balance you are right that we need either a revising chamber or a chamber that has full legitimacy but in a different electoral way.

I've got to confess that I don't like any part of your proposed replacement. But we're on the same page for reform, which is a constructive start.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,950
    surbiton said:

Your reply encapsulates this country's problem. Our productivity is so low that the only way we can compete is by serial devaluations rather than investing to improve productivity.

I have worked with Germans for 31 years and I can honestly say we put in more hours than them. You will have difficulty getting hold of anyone after 12:00 on Fridays and after 4:00pm on most days. Yet official stats show they produce in 4 days what we do in 5.

Devaluation is our drug of choice. But it gives only temporary relief because the very thing that makes our products cheaper in the world markets also makes our imports dearer and whole cycle of increased costs start all over again making our exports gradually uncompetitive.

Yep, productivity is the elephant in the room as far as "Global Britain" is concerned. One of the problems currently is that it's much easier to hire an extra pair of hands than to look at ways of improving productivity.
  • Options
    48 government majority on EU citizens
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,585
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

felix said:

SO if we had joined the Euro we would now be stuck in a seriously overvalued currency trying to sell into our larges t market, England. Yeah, that would help.

We blame the Euro because we will blame anything Euro. No one can explain why the exchange rates since the birth of the Euro has been:

And, it is not interest rates that is propping up the Euro. Their interest rates are even lower than ours. The bond yields in Germany and France are actually negative. Yet people have faith in the currency despite Greece etc.

Productivity is a problem but what my post really shows is the utter chaos that would be caused by having different currencies in such deeply integrated economies as Scotland and England. One week Scots lamb is cheap the next it is not. It would hit Scotland, as the much smaller partner, much harder of course. It really is no solution at all. Of course the euro is fixed for Germany's interests , not Scotland.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

felix said:

Doesn't quite roll off the tongue like 'Pound' or 'euro' does it? how many haggis will you get for one 'all in good time'?

When some smartarse will say how bad the Euro is, the Scot reply should be : if it is good enough for Germany, France, Netherlands, Finland etc. , it should be good enough for Scotland.

or, if 200 nations in the world can have their own currency, then so can Scotland.

SO if we had joined the Euro we would now be stuck in a seriously overvalued currency trying to sell into our largest market, England. Yeah, that would help.

Yet, over the period, growth in GDP per head, and in employment, have been better here than in most of the EZ.
  • Options
    Amendment 1 - 335 Ayes
  • Options
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

felix said:

SNIP

A great post. Yes, our crap productivity is not the fault of our European colleagues. Our dismal return per hour worked is mostly due to our managers' inability to take and stick to decisions; a endless meeting culture in which discussion is not a means to an end but an end in itself; an inability to delegate; and an obsession with being present rather than productive. The amount of companies that load in meetings on Mondays so the first 20% of the week is certain to be unproductive is a national disease. Shall we have a meeting to discuss that? Can I suggest 5pm for an hour?

The entry into the workforce of the Millennials, who largely think it is all bollocks and challenge it with their behaviour (which is more like European behaviour), should overturn the problem eventually, but it will take time to work through the system.
  • Options
    The first House of Lord's amendment on the Brexit Bill has been defeated in the House of Commons by 335 votes to 287.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,895
    Pulpstar said:

It's not a done deal. However the SNP exists to make Scotland independent. It's inconceivable that they wouldn't take a chance to go for independence even if the odds seem against it. They might delay for a few years if they believed tactically they would get a better result later. I don't think that calculation applies at this time.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,976
    isam said:

Roger said:

'Small is beautiful'

'Little England'

'Think Small'

An interesting fact on Marr's radio programme this morning. The SINGLE biggest indicator of a Brexiteer is their attitude to hanging.

They just get more attractive
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,707

As a connoisseur of human hypocrisy, can I just thank in advance all the Brexiteers who whined incessantly about Project Fear, scaremongering & bullying and who are about to provide a Michelin star repast when they approvingly quote & rt every rehashed threat, warning & intervention on behalf of the Union. It's going to be reet tasty.

Bit like you during the EUref then.
  • Options
    So the government keeps the option to 'send the buggers back'. Let's see if they use it.
  • Options
    Roger said:

isam said:

Roger said:

'Small is beautiful'

'Little England'

'Think Small'

An interesting fact on Marr's radio programme this morning. The SINGLE biggest indicator of a Brexiteer is their attitude to hanging.

The Alt-Right has taken over.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Happy birthday Mr Rentool.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Bojabob said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

felix said:

SNIP

A great post. Yes, our crap productivity is not the fault of our European colleagues. Our dismal return per hour worked is mostly due to our managers' inability to take and stick to decisions; a endless meeting culture in which discussion is not a means to an end but an end in itself; an inability to delegate; and an obsession with being present rather than productive. The amount of companies that load in meetings on Mondays so the first 20% of the week is certain to be unproductive is a national disease. Shall we have a meeting to discuss that? Can I suggest 5pm for an hour?

The entry into the workforce of the Millennials, who largely think it is all bollocks and challenge it with their behaviour (which is more like European behaviour), should overturn the problem eventually, but it will take time to work through the system.
    It's also a feature of our high employment rate.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,327
    Pulpstar said:

GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

Well I think we do need an upper chamber. Elected in thirds by multi member STV with 1 15 year term per lifetime would be my preffered option. But it is a nonsense as it is !
    God, no. It'll be even worse at doing it's task than it is now. We need to look at its role as a revising chamber and make changes to allow it to perform that task better.

The main problem with the HoL isn't the numbers, or the hereditaries. It's the fact it's been stuffed to the gunnels with political has-beens and hanger-on with no real expertise who will follow their party whip and not appy any intelligence to their role. Shami being a classic recent example. Moving to an elected house will just make that situation worse. Better to get rid of it.

However I understand that my 'house of experts' idea hasn't got widespread acceptance. ;)
  • Options
    It was noticeable just now that after the division on the meaningful vote amendment was announced, there was a row of Tory MPs who didn't get up. I'm pretty sure Nicky Morgan was one; maybe the whips have persuaded them to abstain rather than oppose?
  • Options
    Roger said:

isam said:

Roger said:

'Small is beautiful'

'Little England'

'Think Small'

I suspect the single biggest indicator of a Brexiteer is how they voted in the referendum, to be honest.
  • Options
    Roger said:

isam said:

Roger said:

'Small is beautiful'

'Little England'

'Think Small'

Did he quote any specific polling to support this or was it anecdotal and/or assumed?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,325
    Why is Referendum before 2020 as long as 4/6?

Surely if Scottish Parliament requests it then T May will have to agree, however reluctantly. And it must now be almost certain they will request it.
  • Options
    Roger said:

isam said:

Roger said:

'Small is beautiful'

'Little England'

'Think Small'

Isn't there a huge correlation between being fat, too? i.e. if you are obese and pro-hanging you are almost certain to be a Brexiteer.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

It was noticeable just now that after the division on the meaningful vote amendment was announced, there was a row of Tory MPs who didn't get up. I'm pretty sure Nicky Morgan was one; maybe the whips have persuaded them to abstain rather than oppose?

Would that be the Nicky Morgan who thought she might be in the running for the leadership last year?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

felix said:

Yet, over the period, growth in GDP per head, and in employment, have been better here than in most of the EZ.
    11 of those years we had a Labour government.
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233

Pulpstar said:

GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

God, no. It'll be even worse at doing it's task than it is now. We need to look at its role as a revising chamber and make changes to allow it to perform that task better.

The main problem with the HoL isn't the numbers, or the hereditaries. It's the fact it's been stuffed to the gunnels with political has-beens and hanger-on with no real expertise who will follow their party whip and not appy any intelligence to their role. Shami being a classic recent example. Moving to an elected house will just make that situation worse. Better to get rid of it.

However I understand that my 'house of experts' idea hasn't got widespread acceptance. ;)
    A good start would be to preclude anyone who had served in the HoC.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Watched that row and it looks like they are the rebels but not sure if they are going to vote or abstain
  • Options
    Roger said:

isam said:

Roger said:

'Small is beautiful'

'Little England'

'Think Small'

People who support hanging? Shooting is too good for them.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,334
    Alistair said:

chestnut said:

Omnium said:

chestnut said:

Some data:

Pre Brexit – 32%
    Post Brexit – 19%
    Never – 24%

TCTC

16% Ipsos Mori
    22% Panelbase
    25% Yougov

Patience lost the Quebec separatist the referendum.
    They only lost by less than 2% and I doubt a referendum in 1984 or 1985 would have been much different
  • Options
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

The truth is that hardly anyone is coming to this question fresh. We had a two year campaign last time so there will be relatively few people changing their minds. I think there will be some Yes voters who will switch to No just as there are some going the other way. Most Scots are nationalist with a small 'n' but they are not necessarily SNP nationalists and some are very pro-Union, but from the perspective of Scotland's place in the world. The SNP have done a good job of claiming nationalism for itself, but it may not hold out for the next referendum. Some advice for Theresa May, assuming she wants to preserve the Union: don't try to divide and rule in Scotland. Long term it never works.

The fact that the economics are even worse than last time won't change many minds I suspect. The key motivations will be whether Scots collectively think they need to get on with it or put an end to it.
    The repetition of this argument is depressing down here in London, God knows how it must feel in Scotland. I wonder if Sturgeon could lose simply because people can't bear the endless constitutional turmoil and horrible, divisive arguing.

Because if she wins the divorce with England will take ten years of bickering. Again, making Brexit look like a walk in Regent's Park.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/03/might-nicola-sturgeons-sinking-approval-ratings-explain-appetite-referendum/

• Options
    I am genuinely sorry that the amendment on EU citizens was defeated. It was a great chance to take the moral highground and set down a standard for the way we were going to behave in the negotiations. I know many people think this weakens our negotiating stance but I think in the long run it would make the whole process of Brexit far better.
  • Options

The EU shouldn't even have become an issue. That it did is because of what it was, what it did and how it did it, not the UK.

In a parallel universe in which Thatcher was fully behind the Maastricht treaty instead of egging on the rebels, I don't think we'd be here now.
    We still would because of immigration, the Euro etc but of course Thatcher was never going to back the Maastricht Treaty anyway
  • Options
    Looks like the Tory rebellion didn't happen
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,994
    Bojabob said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

felix said:

SNIP

Spot on. I have ben saying the same for years. Our management class has been pretty poor for decades and that has nothing to do with Europe.

• Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Roger said:

isam said:

Roger said:

'Small is beautiful'

'Little England'

'Think Small'

Hanging? We're Robespierres apparently. Guillotine it is.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,994

I am genuinely sorry that the amendment on EU citizens was defeated. It was a great chance to take the moral highground and set down a standard for the way we were going to behave in the negotiations. I know many people think this weakens our negotiating stance but I think in the long run it would make the whole process of Brexit far better.

Totally agree.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

From the Guardian live blog:

Leanne Wood, the leader of Plaid Cymru, has said that if Scotland votes for independence, Wales should have a vote on independence too.

Well Plaid will have to win a majority in the Welsh Assembly first and overcome the fact Wales voted for Leave
  • Options
    Merkel's visit to Trump cancelled due to impending storm - bit like the meeting would be
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

I know there are great issues of moment at the,er, moment but I only have eyes for Prestbury.

Day 1 at Cheltenham tomorrow and four probably to avoid as they may well be carrying my money (and very nice money it is too).

1.30: BUNK OFF EARLY
    2.05: ROYAL CAVIAR (yes, I know ALTIOR probably wins but there are better 1/4 shots out there)
    3.30: PETIT MOUCHOIR
    4.10: VROUM VROUM NAG

The prices for the four currently with Hills are 11/2, 14/1, 7/1 and 11/4 so get a couple home in your Lucky 15 and you'll be happy.

Right lets hope a few of those land, have gone for a £2 e/w lucky 15 with Ladbrokes and £1 win Lucky with Hills.
    £10 to win on Vroum Vroum mag @ 3-1 (Hills), and £10 E/W @ 11-4 (1/4 odds place with Ladbrokes).

So that is £120 in total. Might lose it all, but better than buying 120 lottery tickets at least :> !
This discussion has been closed.