Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Next Prime Minister: Gus O’Donnell at 250/1?

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2017
    I haven't read all the comments, so apologies if someone had already made this point, but I think the entire premise of David's article is wrong.

My understanding is this: If the Commons passes a vote of no confidence in the government, the government and the PM do not automatically leave their posts. What happens (and this is no change compared with before the Fixed Term Act) is that the PM is obliged to offer her resignation to Her Majesty. Her Majesty is not obliged to accept it. Crucially, Theresa May would remain PM, and her ministers remain in post, until such time as Her Majesty accepts the resignation or dismisses them, and appoints someone else.

So, what would happen is that Her Majesty's advisers would take soundings to see if anyone else could command the confidence of the House. If there was no likelihood of anyone else winning a confidence vote, all that happens is that Theresa May remains in place and, 14 days later, the election is called. There's no need to call on a superannuated mandarin.

Edit: It's just like the situation after the 2010 election. Brown remained PM until Her Maj was advised that that nice Mr Cameron was likely to command the confidence of the House.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    tlg86 said:

I'm watching the 1992 general election on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARifiLUKwxA

I'm struck by just how slow the BBC were to realise what a good result it was going to be for the Conservatives (relative to the polling). The funniest thing I've seen on it so far is an interview with Malcolm Rifkind (3:38:40). He's not my favourite politician but his line "but all of your predictions have been turning out to be wrong" was a gem!

I was the first person to put it on YouTube, although this is a better quality that someone else has subsequently uploaded. I think it's the best ever general election show from any broadcaster. David Dimbleby was absolutely on top form in 1992. He never quite attained the same heights again.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582

Good afternoon, everyone.

Surely it's obvious that getting very drunk puts you in a vulnerable position (to robbery, as well as other sorts of crime)?

On a more serious note.

A number of years ago I was drinking in a pub in Newbury. A new age traveler stole a leather jacket. Belonging to a biker. With an ornamental design on it. Said design being that on about 50% of the jackets in the pub.

Was what happened next the fault of the new age traveler, the biker, society, capitalism etc?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Mr. Bury, how dare you call me a crevicist?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,996
    rcs1000 said:
    But it is based on a dodgy premise, of course
  • Options
    Mr. Malmesbury, thieves are to blame for theft and the consequences thereof.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:
    Yep. More accurately we have taken a lifeboat and are leaving the Titanic.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    isam said:

The premise being that Brexit has a Captain in charge?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,964

kle4 said:

With all the Tolkien stuff from Hannan and Moore it's more apparent than ever that Brexiteers are the political descendants of the likes of Tony Benn. An out of touch elite who look at the common folk as if they were a different species whose power and dignity should be admired with awe and reverence from a safe distance.

You'll have to explain that one to me. The reference to incredibly popular books and movies indicates they are out of touch from the common folk? Or is it the themes of the works they reference which indicate their eliteness?

Genuinely confused over here.
    The themes and choice of the quote about 'shire-folk', which is certainly not a descriptor that could ever apply to Hannan. He is romanticising a people that he longs to be truly part of but never can.
    Hannan does have form for this: his references to "that hideous strength" are a nod to the CS Lewis book of the same name, and (if memory serves) he's referenced Screwtape as well. He has a rather child-like view of the world ("isn't it better to do business with your friends" is not a sentence that should be said by an adult) and it does comes across
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:
    Humourous rather than accurate.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

With all the Tolkien stuff from Hannan and Moore it's more apparent than ever that Brexiteers are the political descendants of the likes of Tony Benn. An out of touch elite who look at the common folk as if they were a different species whose power and dignity should be admired with awe and reverence from a safe distance.

You'll have to explain that one to me. The reference to incredibly popular books and movies indicates they are out of touch from the common folk? Or is it the themes of the works they reference which indicate their eliteness?

Genuinely confused over here.
    The themes and choice of the quote about 'shire-folk', which is certainly not a descriptor that could ever apply to Hannan. He is romanticising a people that he longs to be truly part of but never can.
    Well, he certainly is often guilty of romanticising elements, you have me there.
    There is nothing wrong with a bit of romanticising. Compared with the outright fantasies that William perpetuates about the EU it is positively mild.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I see that the Comres tables from the Telegraph poll are now out. There is Voting Intention data included which on the basis of the weighted figures appears to result in:

Con 38.3% Lab 29.1% LD 10.2% UKIP 9.7% SNP 4.6%
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited March 2017
    justin124 said:

I see that the Comres tables from the Telegraph poll are now out. There is Voting Intention data included which on the basis of the weighted figures appears to result in:

I thought we weren't suppose to take any notice of ComRes voting intention numbers unless they explicitly say so, because they are messing about with the weightings.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

isam said:

No that the ship is certain to sink, but some people like the same joke told 100 different ways... vive la lack of difference!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

I thought we weren't suppose to take any notice of ComRes voting intention numbers unless they explicitly say so, because they are messing about with the weightings.
    That may still be so - but they did start publishing Voting Intention polls again last month. Doubtless TSE will advise.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,996

So, what would happen is that Her Majesty's advisers would take soundings to see if anyone else could command the confidence of the House.

Just who are her advisors ?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

That may still be so - but they did start publishing Voting Intention polls again last month. Doubtless TSE will advise.
    The fact they didn't announce it this time implies to me ignore.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Shadowy figures!

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Pulpstar said:

So, what would happen is that Her Majesty's advisers would take soundings to see if anyone else could command the confidence of the House.

We are the Illuminati.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I assume the Privy Council.
  • Options
    The teamsheets are out and Owen Farrell's name is on it at 12 for England.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    In practice, the most important of Her Majesty's advisers is of course the existing PM. That's why the normal procedure is for the outgoing PM to go the palace and advise the Queen on whom she should appoint as the next PM.

In the current parliament, I imagine that Theresa May would advise that the Leader of the Opposition was not in a position to win a confidence vote. No doubt, as a courtesy and a democratic protection, Jeremy Corbyn would be asked if he thought he could do so.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

isam said:

No that the ship is certain to sink, but some people like the same joke told 100 different ways... vive la lack of difference!
    At least it's not the old "this is a lighthouse" joke.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

In practice, the most important of Her Majesty's advisers is of course the existing PM. That's why the normal procedure is for the outgoing PM to go the palace and advise the Queen on whom she should appoint as the next PM.

In the current parliament, I imagine that Theresa May would advise that the Leader of the Opposition was not in a position to win a confidence vote. No doubt, as a courtesy and a democratic protection, Jeremy Corbyn would be asked if he thought he could do so.

What if Corbyn said he could?

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Pulpstar said:

I doubt that has been true for a very long time indeed, probably centuries. I would imagine that the principle advisor would, as Mr Navabi said, be the existing PM. Of the others, with the exception of Phil the Greek, I doubt if anyone outside the circle would recognise the names.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Morbid question but what would happen in the hypothetical situation that the PM dies in office suddenly (like John Smith) while Parliament has no clear situation. EG if we are in the middle of a General Election campaign so there is theoretically no Parliament.

Or after a General Election which resulted in a Hung Parliament but no clear coalition has arisen yet? EG if Gordon Brown had a fatal heart attack on Friday 7 May 2010.

EDIT: In America this is simplified with the 25th Amendment combined with a staggered inauguration months after the election, apart from a post-election but pre-inauguration situation but one assumes it would go to the victorious Veep nominee. But it seems less clear here with our instantaneous changes.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    @david_herdson Very interesting piece of speculation, many thanks. Hope it doesn't happen!

Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options

Maybe he could surprise us all by getting his budget through the house :>
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Haven't the time to read the comments before a new thread appears, but I'm wondering how many people have commented on the possibilities were we to have GOD as our PM.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I doubt that has been true for a very long time indeed, probably centuries. I would imagine that the principle advisor would, as Mr Navabi said, be the existing PM. Of the others, with the exception of Phil the Greek, I doubt if anyone outside the circle would recognise the names.
    With the usual caveats, according to Wikipedia the Privy Council is still very active and is specifically supposed to advise the Queen on such constitutional matters. It's formal duty is to advise the Queen on all matters related to the Royal Prerogative.
  • Options

One would hope the next question would be "how?"
  • Options
    Good afternoon, Miss JGP.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

With the usual caveats, according to Wikipedia the Privy Council is still very active and is specifically supposed to advise the Queen on such constitutional matters. It's formal duty is to advise the Queen on all matters related to the Royal Prerogative.
    The Privy Council has more than 600 members including a lot of failed old has beens. I doubt it could advise anyone of anything.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

In theory. There are around 600 privy councillors in practice though, about as many as there are MPs. The idea they're all consulted doesn't work.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,015
    Pulpstar said:

Charles (of PB)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Pulpstar said:

The Privy Council has more than 600 members including a lot of failed old has beens. I doubt it could advise anyone of anything.
    Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell, to name two.

Right, a rugby match follows for the next two hours!
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Haven't the time to read the comments before a new thread appears, but I'm wondering how many people have commented on the possibilities were we to have GOD as our PM.

I wonder if anyone has ever talked to Gus O'Donnell in a phone box on their way home?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    edited March 2017
    The man with the golden touch.

https://twitter.com/gemmacdoyle/status/840583160438104064

Not content with having no connection with most of the Scottish electorate, Jezza has now managed to piss off the remains of SLab.
  • Options
    The supreme leader never fails....
  • Options
    edited March 2017
  • Options
    edited March 2017
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Unbelievable comment by Corbyn, he has no authority whatsoever to be changing long standing Labour policy on the hoof.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,369

Morbid question but what would happen in the hypothetical situation that the PM dies in office suddenly (like John Smith) while Parliament has no clear situation. EG if we are in the middle of a General Election campaign so there is theoretically no Parliament.

Or after a General Election which resulted in a Hung Parliament but no clear coalition has arisen yet? EG if Gordon Brown had a fatal heart attack on Friday 7 May 2010.

EDIT: In America this is simplified with the 25th Amendment combined with a staggered inauguration months after the election, apart from a post-election but pre-inauguration situation but one assumes it would go to the victorious Veep nominee. But it seems less clear here with our instantaneous changes.
    I believe the Cabinet would choose an interim leader. The process by which the party in question appoints/elects a permanent leader would be instigated. It is likely that if the PM has been killed by a terror attack, then COBRA would be convened under the chair of Home Secretary. This group would probably be the ones who started the process of the Cabinet appointing an interim PM. I guess Home Sec would effectively be in charge for a very short period.

There is some constitutional haziness about all this: Peter Bone raised in Parliament a few years ago - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-25136574

• Options
    isam said:
    Did you read the judgement? It's well worth your time, and goes into considerable detail as to why Ms Monroe won the case. In particular, it says that hurt feelings are irrelevant to libel actions.
  • Options
    Artist said:

Unbelievable comment by Corbyn, he has no authority whatsoever to be changing long standing Labour policy on the hoof.

What did he say?
  • Options
    I see there's a story which shows Samuel L Jackson doesn't understand what acting is, in questioning casting British actors in roles about US race relations as they won't feel or understand the issues as much.

Christ only knows how actors have ever managed to portray historical figures from places they have no connection to, or appropriately portray a character to reflect themes they may or may not have much experience of directly. Pretend to?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39192560/samuel-l-jackson-dont-cast-british-actors-in-films-about-us-race-relations
  • Options

Not content with having no connection with most of the Scottish electorate, Jezza has now managed to piss off the remains of SLab.

Oddly enough, as with Brexit it is probably him recognizing the inevitable.

Next thing we know he'll be acknowledging the Tories will probably win in 2020, unless something changes soon.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,536
    isam said:
    Something not quite right there.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, quite agree.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:
    Did you read the judgement? It's well worth your time, and goes into considerable detail as to why Ms Monroe won the case. In particular, it says that hurt feelings are irrelevant to libel actions.
    I browsed it. I am a very bad reader of anything over about 10 pages!
  • Options

isam said:
    It's unpleasant (as I suspect Ms Monroe is), but is it libellous?

Is there a specific untruth it is telling, or is a matter of opinion?

Ms Monroe won her case because - basically - Katie Hopkins thought she was someone else and carelessly made the assertion that she had been involved in, or publicly condoned, the desecration of the memorial. Libel needs specificity.

So, I can say that David Cameron is a windbag and a cancer on society and that the way he used his son to gain sympathy sickened me. But those are just my opinions. I can't libel someone with those.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I see there's a story which shows Samuel L Jackson doesn't understand what acting is, in questioning casting British actors in roles about US race relations as they won't feel or understand the issues as much.

Christ only knows how actors have ever managed to portray historical figures from places they have no connection to, or appropriately portray a character to reflect themes they may or may not have much experience of directly. Pretend to?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39192560/samuel-l-jackson-dont-cast-british-actors-in-films-about-us-race-relations

Isn't there a famous quote from Laurence Olivier to Dustin Hoffman during the making of Marathon Man along the lines of "it's called acting dear boy", when Hoffman was using method acting to get into character?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Artist said:

Corbyn has not just totally undermined Kezia Dugdale's recent efforts to shore up the SLab position opposing another Indy Ref, he has just driven a wrecking ball through her attempts to rebuild the Labour party North of the border! Kezia was only on BBC QuestionTime three days ago opposing another Indy Ref.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Ms Monroe won her case because - basically - Katie Hopkins thought she was someone else and carelessly made the assertion that she had been involved in, or publicly condoned, the desecration of the memorial. Libel needs specificity.
    So Hopkins could perhaps have said she felt Monroe was the sort of person who would condone desecration of a memorial, but could not so bluntly accuse her of doing it or having already condoned it, because she had not done either of those things?
  • Options

Mr. Malmesbury, thieves are to blame for theft and the consequences thereof.

Correct
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,135
    Cameron staked his future on winning the EU ref - Corbyn gave lukewarm support and ensured his downfall.

May has staked her future on preserving the union - Corbyn is giving lukewarm support and will ensure her downfall.

He's cannier than he looks. Maybe.
  • Options
    Swing low.....Sweet...Oh wait we aren't allowed to song that now are we ?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Also correct - no doubt about it.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, yes, we are.

Idiots commenting on rugby songs seems to be a thing now. Chris Bryant was whining about Delilah a year or two ago.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Daniel day Lewis as lincolin says otherwise samuel...
  • Options

Swing low.....Sweet...Oh wait we aren't allowed to song that now are we ?

Someone forgot to tell 60,000 white shirted fans at Twickenham they're not allowed to sing it!
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

Isn't there a famous quote from Laurence Olivier to Dustin Hoffman during the making of Marathon Man along the lines of "it's called acting dear boy", when Hoffman was using method acting to get into character?
    The story I heard about that was Hoffman running for a mile, or some ridiculous distance, to arrive in a scene in order to appear appropriately winded from running, rather than just pretend to have been.

I do have some great respect for some method acting, and I can see how having a connection to the material and themes and history could make it easier for someone to act as directed for a certain role, but at the end of the day its all pretend, people are able to portray realistic nazis without any connection to the role, and as impressive as it can be for someone to go really method, is it even really acting if, for instance, you allow yourself to be actually punched in the face to portray being punched in the face, rather than just pretend to be?
  • Options

Idiots commenting on rugby songs seems to be a thing now. Chris Bryant was whining about Delilah a year or two ago.

Oh god yes I forgot about captain underpants outdoing even his usual nonsense.
  • Options
    Six Nations update: see England are winning, turn TV on, Scotland score a try, turn TV off.
  • Options
    Boooooooooo
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

That he was selling the NHS to his friends was a specific untruth.
  • Options

Actually surprised it has taken this long - I've seen american comedies make as the joke a white person singing Swing Low and getting dark looks. It certainly is divorcing it from its original context. But how offensive are people really finding it?
  • Options
    Intruder arrested breaking into white house.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,135

"It's me, Tessie. Let me in-a your window..."
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Oddly enough, as with Brexit it is probably him recognizing the inevitable.

Next thing we know he'll be acknowledging the Tories will probably win in 2020, unless something changes soon.
    Corbyn "disappointed" to have lost the 2020 general election by over 300 seats, but adds he has created a cracking batch of apple and blackcurrant jam.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, some people get off on being offended. It saves them the trouble of trying to use reason and evidence to win an argument.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Cameron staked his future on winning the EU ref - Corbyn gave lukewarm support and ensured his downfall.

May has staked her future on preserving the union - Corbyn is giving lukewarm support and will ensure her downfall.

He's cannier than he looks. Maybe.

Given he officially supports both Unions, that's not canny it's downright malevolent. That or else he operates on the principle that in order for the country to rise from the ashes, it must first be reduced to ash.
  • Options

Six Nations update: see England are winning, turn TV on, Scotland score a try, turn TV off.

Oh, I wondered whose fault it was... :)
  • Options
    Too easy...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

And definitely wrong.

The Privy Council is not a plenary body. But ministers, shadow ministers and other selected politicians from within parliament advise the monarch by virtue of being Privy Councillors. The monarch is advised and by her prerogative the monarch acts.

The informality suggested above is more apparent than real. This is a correographed routine of the highest refinement and as the stakes rise the faux informality melts away.
  • Options

At least SeanT hasn't been on yet...
  • Options
    Surely Scotland are going to show up in the second half?
  • Options
    Easy....easy....easy.... It's like playing jez led labour party.
  • Options
    Mr. Quidder, it is now impossible for Scotland to win.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

The story I heard about that was Hoffman running for a mile, or some ridiculous distance, to arrive in a scene in order to appear appropriately winded from running, rather than just pretend to have been.

I do have some great respect for some method acting, and I can see how having a connection to the material and themes and history could make it easier for someone to act as directed for a certain role, but at the end of the day its all pretend, people are able to portray realistic nazis without any connection to the role, and as impressive as it can be for someone to go really method, is it even really acting if, for instance, you allow yourself to be actually punched in the face to portray being punched in the face, rather than just pretend to be?
    I suppose it isn't, but then again, does it matter? Its whatever makes the show better for the viewer reckon
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @IanMurrayMP: Often asked why I resigned from Shadow Cabinet. Ladies & Gentlemen I give u Jeremy Corbyn. He's destroying the party that soo many need.

@alexmassie: Corbyn has been 'leader' long enough for his incompetence to now be understood as malevolence.
  • Options

You always know when he's enjoying five star hospitality — when he isn't on here, usually.
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

I suppose it isn't, but then again, does it matter? Its whatever makes the show better for the viewer reckon
    Well yes, but that's the point - does doing it 'for real' make it better than pretending? And if it looks the same, then the guy pretending is the better actor - same effect for us the audience, so it doesn't matter, that's why Jackson's comments make no sense, since for all I knew from the trailers the guy from GetOut was an american, and yet he thinks it matters what the actor knows about the american experience to do the role.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@IanMurrayMP: Often asked why I resigned from Shadow Cabinet. Ladies & Gentlemen I give u Jeremy Corbyn. He's destroying the party that soo many need.

@alexmassie: Corbyn has been 'leader' long enough for his incompetence to now be understood as malevolence.

I thought Ian Murray had changed position on revisiting the referendum after the Brexit vote.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

You always know when he's enjoying five star hospitality — when he isn't on here, usually.
    Just to be clear we are talking about hotel / restaurants, not kinky sex with one of his corbynista groupies?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Well we know mcmao didn't join the labour party to see it succeed.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797

Nice try, Mr.D. - but even a combination of you and SeanT holding a half time black mass, with strange dancing thrown in, probably isn't going to jinx this one.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Someone tell Trump he now doesn't have to borrow a jemmy from the Russian ambassador to get into the Oval Office ....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,380
    Well that was a seriously depressing half. And England are normally better in the second half. Sigh.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    DavidL said:

Well that was a seriously depressing half. And England are normally better in the second half. Sigh.

Think Barcelona (Scotland) against Paris St G (England) ..... x ten .... :astonished:
  • Options
    More embarrassing than a jezza budget response.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Well there's the bonus point, England now well on the way to an Australian cricket score.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    I imagine that Nicola will spend the next year asking for the rugby to be replayed.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Wait until england bring on the big guns.....A knackered scotland might well have to face a fresh big billy and bro, teo, george...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nice try, Mr.D. - but even a combination of you and SeanT holding a half time black mass, with strange dancing thrown in, probably isn't going to jinx this one.
    However, if Mr. Dancer could be persuaded to put a bet on England then that could well see Scotland romping home.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Boooooooooo...biased French ref. Thank God for kiwi in the box.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    Roaring forties
  • Options
    New threads....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

EEEEEENNNNNGGGGGLLLLAAAAAANNNDDDD

Good afternoon!
This discussion has been closed.