Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This week’s PB/Polling Matters podcasts on Northern Ireland As

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,859

nielh said:

You are making the error that 1) history repeats itself and 2) staying in the UK is the conservative option. Could be independence and joining the EU is seen as the conservative option. As i said the EU referendum outcome was a rejection of the conservative/status quo position

The most convincing aspect of the 'we all end up eating babies' argument is that it's almost always life long baby eaters who make it.
    History does not always repeat itself, but it's safer to assume that it does than to assume that victory is assured because one's opponents are all going to die off.

Your second point is a good one, but whereas I think pro-Union Scots like David L are strongly committed to the UK at an emotional level, there is much less of an emotional commitment to the EU among Remain voters. There are people who are committed to the ideal of one European nation, but it's very much a minority viewpoint.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898

Morning all,

Didn't watch budget and only just catching up with details. Did see some clips of Hammond in action. It struck me that far more perturbing than any actual changes being announced was his style - the seemly endless, petty jokes at Corbyn and Labour's expense.

This struck me as cheap and unbecoming of the Budget process and the office of CoE.

Am I being old fashioned?

Probably. I sure I've seen reports that historical politics could be incredibly petty and brutal, with dodgy moments too, just as much or more than currently.

Perhaps it should be unbecoming, or not encouraged, maybe chancellors haven't typically acted so on such occasions, but it doesn't feel like a major change.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,995
    Mr. kjh, there are reports that a remake of 'Allo 'Allo was planned, but the plans were axed because of fears of offence over Herr Flick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/'Allo_'Allo!#Alleged_abandoned_remake
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898

glw said:

Looking at the front pages, the government's honeymoon has been interrupted at least.

With some journalists.

But millions on PAYE are LOLing at the outrage of others.

'Take it from them and give it to me' always gets support.
    Yeah the texts to Radio 5 this morning have been broadly supportive with people on PAYE saying the NI rise is fairer.
    Watching and listening to the media and the publics reaction there does seem to be anger that there is any difference at all between employed and self employed NICs and it is clear this has highlighted an issue that has been under the radar of the populace.

That will be a key point.

People on PAYE will be looking at their payslips - perhaps for the first time really noticing how much NI they pay - and asking why the self-employed pay a lower rate of NI than they do.

Because the self-employed get less benefits. Also we (should) want to, as a country, encourage people to be self-employed which can lead on to setting up business which create jobs.

To many people the self-employed are either:

Tradesmen who get paid in cash
    Arthur Daly / Del Boy Trotter 'wheeler-dealers'
    Highly paid professionals working the tax system

That's a lot of ignorance then.

Perhaps so, but the plans might be sellable of the back of that.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107

glw said:

Looking at the front pages, the government's honeymoon has been interrupted at least.

With some journalists.

Yeah the texts to Radio 5 this morning have been broadly supportive with people on PAYE saying the NI rise is fairer.
    Watching and listening to the media and the publics reaction there does seem to be anger that there is any difference at all between employed and self employed NICs and it is clear this has highlighted an issue that has been under the radar of the populace.

Sky's poll showed 57% approval and the comments by the public to the media would seem to confirm that this is quite a popular move particularly as it was tied into increased social care funding

Yes, there's a lot of ignorance over this. Or perhaps it was Hammond spending 10% of his speech spreading propaganda about it.

The more interesting questions will be if the public support equalising all benefits for self-employed. Will the taxpayer be prepared to pay for the sick/holiday/pay etc. If people want equal tax, then there has to be equal benefits. Right?

The problem is the huge difference between employed and self employed overall NIC contributions. Employees and Employers pay NIC amounting to circa 25% per employee while the self employed only pay 9% rising to 11% in 2019.

The more this disparity is highlighted the less sympathy there will be for the self employed
    Until its explained what benefits and state pensions the self employed receive. You can't have it both ways.
    I agree but is it not the case that the self employed will get the new enhanced state pension of circa £155 per week along with everyone else
    I hope you're right but there will be enormous caveats to self employed people getting the full whack.

Hammond has helped to highlight the ignorance about the self employed which could actually be a good thing long term
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,859
    rcs1000 said:

Mr. 1000, is that Wilders' party? Why the rapid decline?

Yes it is.

Why the decline? I have three theories:

1. People like the Wilders/PVV policies, but don't actually want him running the country. (Trump running the US may have reinforced that!) By saying they support the PVV in polls, they drag other political parties policies nearer the PVV.

2. It's not really about the EU/Euro in the Netherlands, it's about Muslim immigration. Something like 80% of Dutch people agree with the statement "the Euro has been good for the Netherlands", and on some polling even a majority of PVV voters agree. As other political parties have taken a harder line on Muslim immigration, it's taken the most popular policy away from the PVV.

3. Geert Wilders went too far when he described Moroccan immigrants as "scum", which probably plays back into (1).

If (1) is correct, it probably augers poorly for Marine Le Pen in France too, although there is more of an anti-Euro trend in France. (Not least because while the Dutch economy has had a pretty good last 17 years, the same is not really true of France.)
    There's a lot of support for opposing Muslim immigration. Not so much for banning Muslims from practising their religion.
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642
    Richard Tyndall

Quite right. If one of the consequences of this policy is to rectify the staggering ignorance on show re: s/e then that at least is something.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    On the subject of NIC, one thing the self-employed don't have to pay (I assume) is the employers contribution which is now a pretty hefty chunk of the total cost of employment. Equalising the benefits without actually equalising the contributions would be interesting.

I am currently acutely aware of the several benefits of being an employee as I am at home recuperating after another round of treatment in hospital (with a lot more to come) and I do not have to worry about what it will do to my take home pay. On the other hand that pay is a lot less than many of my contemporaries from university who went into the private sector.
  • Options

glw said:

With some journalists.

Sky's poll showed 57% approval and the comments by the public to the media would seem to confirm that this is quite a popular move particularly as it was tied into increased social care funding

Yes, there's a lot of ignorance over this. Or perhaps it was Hammond spending 10% of his speech spreading propaganda about it.

The more interesting questions will be if the public support equalising all benefits for self-employed. Will the taxpayer be prepared to pay for the sick/holiday/pay etc. If people want equal tax, then there has to be equal benefits. Right?

The problem is the huge difference between employed and self employed overall NIC contributions. Employees and Employers pay NIC amounting to circa 25% per employee while the self employed only pay 9% rising to 11% in 2019.

The more this disparity is highlighted the less sympathy there will be for the self employed
    Until its explained what benefits and state pensions the self employed receive. You can't have it both ways.
    I agree but is it not the case that the self employed will get the new enhanced state pension of circa £155 per week along with everyone else
    I hope you're right but there will be enormous caveats to self employed people getting the full whack.

Hammond has helped to highlight the ignorance about the self employed which could actually be a good thing long term
    Hammond made this point at the dispatch box yesterday
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Morning all :)

Glad to see the flam-flam and nonsense of Budget (or should that be Spring Statement) Day is behind us. It's not terribly good theatre with the stand up act having had months to work on his (or her) routine but still failing to offer anything other than a cheesy lounge bar attempt at lunchtime entertainment. Strange we've had two female Prime Ministers but no female CoE.

I find Hammond's attempts at being funny as stilted as his attempts to sound young by putting "gas in the tank". The problem is you think you're funny if your friends are told to laugh at all your jokes.

I've no particular view on the NI tax rise - I've never been self-employed and never wanted it to be. Mrs Stodge has always been a Contractor and prefers it. She's not happy but does recognise life for Contractors has in the past been very good.

Of more import in my world, as expected, Hammond found some money down the back of the Treasury sofa to fund adult social care:

http://www.publicfinance.co.uk/news/2017/03/hammonds-finds-ps3bn-councils-plug-social-care-crisis?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_term=

Rob Whiteman's comments are interesting. Hammond has found some money to kick the can down the road but that's all. The long-term solutions to the issue of funding care for the elderly aren't there yet and it does seem foolish that for ideological, political and historical reasons, some possible solutions are being dismissed in advance by the Government.

Radical solutions to big problems need a blank sheet of paper - if, for example, some form of Inheritance or Asset Transfer Tax has to be considered, let it be considered. The proportion of people needing care is still quite small but looks set to increase so the entire gamut of costs from housing to staffing will rise sharply if more people come into care.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    TOPPING said:

Did I see a stat the other day that said that people in the UK move jobs every three years. In London every two. Not sure jump or pushed.

I suspect that most of those are between similar jobs. Generalising, there is a trend to ever greater labour flexibility, and as you imply not necessarily by choice. We need a taxation and benefits system that supports all workers, not one that crudely says "these people pay less tax because there are no employer or state benefits".
  • Options
    F1: Palmer reckons Renault are in the mix, with it being tight outside the top 3.

I think the last ultra-competitive season was 2012 (seven different winners in the first seven races).
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    edited March 2017
    RobD said:

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/839567137320624128
    Any chance of a list in order of majority?
    I have a list. The top ten constituencies in terms of % self employed are all Tory.
    They range from 16.3% to 17.5% ( Brecon and Rad is the highest.)
    They are:
    Brecon and Radnorshire
    Montgomeryshire
    Central Devon
    North Herefordshire
    Finchley and Golders Green
    North Cornwall
    Penrith and The Border
    Totnes
    Ludlow

The one with the lowest majority in the top 10 is Finchley and GG with a majority of about 11,000.

The one with lowest majority in the top 50 by self employed is Lewes with a majority of about 2,000.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Have I understood this correctly? Class 2 NICs were going anyway and so someone who makes a self-employed profit/income of between £5,965 and £8,060 a year will now, under these plans, not pay NI (from next April).
  • Options
    Mr. Teacher, get well soon.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Glad to see the flam-flam and nonsense of Budget (or should that be Spring Statement) Day is behind us. It's not terribly good theatre with the stand up act having had months to work on his (or her) routine but still failing to offer anything other than a cheesy lounge bar attempt at lunchtime entertainment. Strange we've had two female Prime Ministers but no female CoE.

I find Hammond's attempts at being funny as stilted as his attempts to sound young by putting "gas in the tank". The problem is you think you're funny if your friends are told to laugh at all your jokes.

I've no particular view on the NI tax rise - I've never been self-employed and never wanted it to be. Mrs Stodge has always been a Contractor and prefers it. She's not happy but does recognise life for Contractors has in the past been very good.

Of more import in my world, as expected, Hammond found some money down the back of the Treasury sofa to fund adult social care:

http://www.publicfinance.co.uk/news/2017/03/hammonds-finds-ps3bn-councils-plug-social-care-crisis?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_term=

Rob Whiteman's comments are interesting. Hammond has found some money to kick the can down the road but that's all. The long-term solutions to the issue of funding care for the elderly aren't there yet and it does seem foolish that for ideological, political and historical reasons, some possible solutions are being dismissed in advance by the Government.

Radical solutions to big problems need a blank sheet of paper - if, for example, some form of Inheritance or Asset Transfer Tax has to be considered, let it be considered. The proportion of people needing care is still quite small but looks set to increase so the entire gamut of costs from housing to staffing will rise sharply if more people come into care.

Hammond announced a green paper on social care due out in the summer
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    glw said:

TOPPING said:

Did I see a stat the other day that said that people in the UK move jobs every three years. In London every two. Not sure jump or pushed.

I suspect that most of those are between similar jobs. Generalising, there is a trend to ever greater labour flexibility, and as you imply not necessarily by choice. We need a taxation and benefits system that supports all workers, not one that crudely says "these people pay less tax because there are no employer or state benefits".

If Hammond had announced a bold initiative like that, understanding modern labour markets, then he would be getting a very different reaction.

Instead he degraded the self-employed.

• Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642
    Sean

Do French people give a toss that Macron is gay? Matters of sex and sexuality usually attract a shrug of the shoulders in France.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,661

Mr. kjh, there are reports that a remake of 'Allo 'Allo was planned, but the plans were axed because of fears of offence over Herr Flick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/'Allo_'Allo!#Alleged_abandoned_remake

To be honest I don't think I have ever watched a complete episode as it is not my type of humour at all. I prefer satire to slapstick, but it was on so much that it was impossible not to know the theme of the show.

Interesting that it should cause offence now, although when you look back at some of the comedy shows of the 70s they are very offensive by today's standards, but I can't ever remember being offended at the time.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    Do people start out moving around a lot and then settle down, or is there a trend to more frequent c

Mr. Teacher, get well soon.

Thanks. The irritating thing is I'm not actually unwell at the moment (apart from the effects of the treatment) : this is all designed to stop me getting it again.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Yes it is and when this gets more into the spotlight i believe this whole "crisis" will disperse.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

Have I understood this correctly? Class 2 NICs were going anyway and so someone who makes a self-employed profit/income of between £5,965 and £8,060 a year will now, under these plans, not pay NI (from next April).

Also correct.. the press really have gotvthis wrong i feel. I bit like David Haye they may be able to land a few blows early on here but long term the self employed havent got much to moan about here
  • Options

If Hammond had announced a bold initiative like that, understanding modern labour markets, then he would be getting a very different reaction.

Instead he degraded the self-employed.

Marginally, but alongside long-term improvements in the state pension so it's not quite as bad as it might seem at first glance.

That said I do think there needs to be a big review of this whole area, alongside a review of welfare and healthcare. We live in a different world to the one when these taxes and benefits were first introduced.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Barnesian said:

RobD said:

I have a list. The top ten constituencies in terms of % self employed are all Tory.
    They are:
    Brecon and Radnorshire
    Montgomeryshire
    Central Devon
    North Herefordshire
    North Cornwall
    Penrith and The Border
    Totnes
    Ludlow

The one with the lowest majority in the top 10 is Finchley and GG with a majority of about 11,000.

The one with lowest majority in the top 50 by self employed is Lewes with a majority of about 2,000.
    Fichley & Golders Green is being broken up in the boundary review, isn't it? It's becoming Hampstead & Golders Green I think
  • Options

<

Yes but he has already closed down, for example, any thought of reducing the IT threshold. I also think it's not just about funding - it's about quality of care and for me that means taking the profit motive out of the exercise.

There have been improvements, I'll concede that, but there have been too many instances of homes where the onus is more on making money for the owners rather than providing the quality and dignity of care people expect.

We shall see if Hammond is genuinely open to new ideas even if they are or could be politically difficult.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783

rcs1000 said:

One day the electorate will rate Osborne as invaluable as Black Rock do. Mark my words.

George Osborne to earn £650,000 at BlackRock for four days a month

https://www.ft.com/content/4c3b9c90-0422-11e7-ace0-1ce02ef0def9

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/839557031841443841

That's before tax.
    Taxes are for plebs.
    Is he doing this work through a company though...... a la Ken Livingstone?
    If he is its at some arm's length - he's resigned both the directorships he held:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/b8B0gKu8MdcAWQGJ1pfu4BqaftQ/appointments

And there's nothing in his wife's name.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

In one Harris poll by 1%, Ifop and Opinion Way still have Le Pen ahead in round 1
    Of course, a few weeks ago almost all the pollsters had the PVV leading in the Netherlands. Now only one of five pollsters do.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,084
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

In the Netherlands the PVV"s rapid decline continues. In the latest I&O poll It's now forecast to get less than 13% of the vote, equal with the rabidly pro-EU D66, and down on where it was in 2010.

I & O still have the PVV 5 seats up on the last election as far as I can see but any move from the PVV to the VVW is because of the latter adopting much of Wilders' rhetoric on immigration.PM Rutte has even gone so far as to tell migrants to 'be normal or be gone', even May has not gone that far in her rhetoric yet
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_Dutch_general_election,_2017
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/23/dutch-prime-minister-warns-migrants-normal-gone-fends-populist/amp/&ved=0ahUKEwiW8-XAgcnSAhWKfhoKHcP_CF0QFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNHEj4GXFCf7KQ3OmNFPt67gtOw70A
    I was comparing to 2010, when the PVV got 22 seats.
    They were in a coalition government then
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

stodge said:

Extra and socially just taxes are so easy to devise:
    Return to rates on all buildings for about half the local taxation, revalue them every year if need be (the Land Registry keeps track of values)
    Local income tax
    Merge the allowance for CGT and income tax at about £11k
    Harmonise CGT and income tax rates
    Harmonise corpn. tax to US level (i.e. also level with income tax rates and stop trying to become a tax haven, that's for the Caymans, you fool)
    End the upper limit on NI.
    Charge richer pensioners NI (call it something else).
    End tax relief on pensions (people would save anyway if NS&I would pay say inflation plus 0.25%, that also allows borrowing for investment)
    ad nauseam
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,946

In which case they are ignorant. Tell them that they will get no holiday pay, no maternity pay, no company pension and if they get sick they will not only not get any pay but will lose their jobs as well. That should help to concentrate their minds.

All of those, plus employer NI are paid for by the employer.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Sean

Do French people give a toss that Macron is gay? Matters of sex and sexuality usually attract a shrug of the shoulders in France.

More to the point, will they worry that he's consistently lied about it (if its true) which surely is a very much bigger issue....
  • Options

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Those PBers who believe I've been over critical here of Hammond's bashing of the self-employed, dividend earning, largely Tory voting elements in our society, may wish to reserve judgement by awaiting the results of polls over the forthcoming weeks and months, including not least the May local elections in order to gauge the electoral damage Hammond's budget has actually done to the Blue Team.
    George Osborne certainly had his faults but his intuitive political gut instinct would have stopped him far short from presenting a budget on anything remotely on the scale of the Tory-bashing version we heard yesterday.

Really? During the Osborne years I lost all of my personal allowance, the proportion of my income subject to 40% increased substantially and I had to pay back all of my Child Benefit. Higher earners like me were thumped repeatedly to allow him to address the deficit. I apparently had the broadest shoulders or something.

I had no real problem with that, it was necessary and the alternative would have been true austerity with completely unacceptable cuts in public spending, something Osborne largely avoided. But yesterday was a mere pinprick by comparison.
    Quite.

Well said.

This is silly columnists being martyrish.
    Having slept on it I'm inclined to agree. Lots of people, including those affected by this proposal, have been hit by measures to date, and factvis were still massively overspending compared to what we bring in. If no one is prepared to slash spending, and it appears no one is, and borrowing is still high, which it is, then more people need to pay more. Is this too much and toounfair of a change? At the moment I think not, but do the government have the will to resist the criticism, particularly given the need to explain why now is different to when they mocked the idea?
    And that is the problem. In spite of the idiotic screaming by the Left about austerity, no one has actually really tried to do anything about Government spending. It continues to rise year after year - in 2005 it was just below £500 billion a year and in 2016 it was almost £750 billion a year. Such increases are simply unsustainable and we need real cuts in the size of the State and a real change in what we expect the State to be doing.
    As a percentage of GDP the state has fallen but the NHS and social care have increasing demands and raising NI is the fairest way to pay for them.Though ironically the Leave victory you campaigned for has brought in May and Hammond who are if anything slightly more pro state than Cameron and Osborne who they replaced as PM and Chancellor
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

In one Harris poll by 1%, Ifop and Opinion Way still have Le Pen ahead in round 1
    Of course, a few weeks ago almost all the pollsters had the PVV leading in the Netherlands. Now only one of five pollsters do.
    The Harris poll seems to have shown a dramatic upsurge in the percentage who say they are certain to stick with Macron when it comes to the actual vote. They have it at 59% whereas most of the other pollsters have it at 50% or less. I would imagine this affect the weighting process and is responsible for this poll showing such an increase for Macron as against their last one.

Harris could be right and all the others wrong of course.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Bojabob said:

Sean

More to the point, will they worry that he's consistently lied about it (if its true) which surely is a very much bigger issue....
    Plus he said opponents of gay marriage deserve respect. An unlikely Le Pen win would combine the nationalist right and the hard left in the runoff, neither of which are exactly known for social liberalism, unlike Wilders she is no libertarian as he is beyond opposing immigration
  • Options
    2004-05 492.5 40.5
    2005-06 523.7 41.2

2016-17 755.1 40.9
    2017-18 765.5 39.5

Cash spending, and as % of GDP.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

The biggest problem with the attack on the self-employed is not the amounts, but the attitude.

Here we are, Brexit Britain, exciting and enterprising - ready to take on the world. And the first thing the new chancellor does is kick enterprising people in the teeth. Huh?

Brexit has to be paid for, there will be a few more punishment budgets to come.
  • Options
    F1: if you do subscribe to the view Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull will be closely matched, it's worth noting the Red Bull has slightly more reliability issues. It's had a couple of MGU-K failures. For context, if you lose all/part of the ERS, you're going to slide down the order very quickly (probably costs seconds per lap as well as braking issues).
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Those PBers who believe I've been over critical here of Hammond's bashing of the self-employed, dividend earning, largely Tory voting elements in our society, may wish to reserve judgement by awaiting the results of polls over the forthcoming weeks and months, including not least the May local elections in order to gauge the electoral damage Hammond's budget has actually done to the Blue Team.
    George Osborne certainly had his faults but his intuitive political gut instinct would have stopped him far short from presenting a budget on anything remotely on the scale of the Tory-bashing version we heard yesterday.

Really? During the Osborne years I lost all of my personal allowance, the proportion of my income subject to 40% increased substantially and I had to pay back all of my Child Benefit. Higher earners like me were thumped repeatedly to allow him to address the deficit. I apparently had the broadest shoulders or something.

I had no real problem with that, it was necessary and the alternative would have been true austerity with completely unacceptable cuts in public spending, something Osborne largely avoided. But yesterday was a mere pinprick by comparison.
    Quite.

Well said.

This is silly columnists being martyrish.
    Having slept on it I'm inclined to agree. Lots of people, including those affected by this proposal, have been hit by measures to date, and factvis were still massively overspending compared to what we bring in. If no one is prepared to slash spending, and it appears no one is, and borrowing is still high, which it is, then more people need to pay more. Is this too much and toounfair of a change? At the moment I think not, but do the government have the will to resist the criticism, particularly given the need to explain why now is different to when they mocked the idea?
    And that is the problem. In spite of the idiotic screaming by the Left about austerity, no one has actually really tried to do anything about Government spending. It continues to rise year after year - in 2005 it was just below £500 billion a year and in 2016 it was almost £750 billion a year. Such increases are simply unsustainable and we need real cuts in the size of the State and a real change in what we expect the State to be doing.

The left is totally irrelevant in all of this. It is nowhere near to power and has no impact on government decision-making. Just cutting is not a sustainable policy either, because it would cause unmitigated and disastrous hardship for millions and millions of people. The social consequences of that are unknowable, but are unlikely to be good.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Before Rutte stole Wilders' anti immigration clothes and almost all polls still have the PVV up on the last election
  • Options
    The Resolution Foundation on the NI changes:

The big losers would be self-employed management consultants, accountants and lawyers rather than a low paid plumber or hairdresser..... the real debate about tax and the self-employed lies not in the National Insurance individuals directly pay but with the fact that firms pay 13.8 per cent employer National Insurance for everyone they employ, but nothing if they use self-employed labour. How to close that huge gap without causing wider problems is what our limited capacity for anxiety should really prioritise…

http://www.resolutionfoundation.org/media/blog/is-the-chancellor-about-to-start-closing-the-self-employment-tax-gap/
  • Options
    If we're going to break manifesto pledges please could we start with the ridiculously damaging virtue signalling 0.7 percent DfiD nonsense. The sop to social care was only one fifth of the amount we waste on anti smoking campaigns etc in foreign lands.
  • Options

The big losers would be self-employed management consultants, accountants and lawyers rather than a low paid plumber or hairdresser..... the real debate about tax and the self-employed lies not in the National Insurance individuals directly pay but with the fact that firms pay 13.8 per cent employer National Insurance for everyone they employ, but nothing if they use self-employed labour. How to close that huge gap without causing wider problems is what our limited capacity for anxiety should really prioritise…

http://www.resolutionfoundation.org/media/blog/is-the-chancellor-about-to-start-closing-the-self-employment-tax-gap/

Well quite.
  • Options
    Mr. Patrick, indeed. Slashing foreign aid would upset the media/political class, but delight most of the electorate.
  • Options
    stodge said:

<

Yes but he has already closed down, for example, any thought of reducing the IT threshold. I also think it's not just about funding - it's about quality of care and for me that means taking the profit motive out of the exercise.

There have been improvements, I'll concede that, but there have been too many instances of homes where the onus is more on making money for the owners rather than providing the quality and dignity of care people expect.

We shall see if Hammond is genuinely open to new ideas even if they are or could be politically difficult.

The green paper should be an opportunity to get a cross party consensus as this is the only way the NHS and social care can be resolved
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,218
    Completely off any current topic, but Taboo is getting a second series. I really enjoyed it so I think 'this is a good thing'.

https://twitter.com/montynero/status/839769942715219968

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    rcs1000 said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

They are:
    Brecon and Radnorshire
    Montgomeryshire
    Central Devon
    North Herefordshire
    North Cornwall
    Penrith and The Border
    Totnes
    Ludlow

Fichley & Golders Green is being broken up in the boundary review, isn't it? It's becoming Hampstead & Golders Green I think
    I only have constituency data on 2015 boundaries but it comes with 164 variables including population density, age profile, education, employment, religion, ethnicity, remain/leave etc etc. plus voting record. It is a treasure trove for multi-linear regressions. A nerd's paradise.
  • Options

Mr. Patrick, indeed. Slashing foreign aid would upset the media/political class, but delight most of the electorate.

It's not even slashing it that needs to be done, merely some flexibility so that if they can't hit the target in the current year they save that money for when there are some more productive aid programmes.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Absolutely! Firms that hire employees are punished left, right and centre for doing the right thing. Employers NI should be abolished it is a tax on creating secure jobs. All other major non-property taxes are levied at the point you receive money - a company pays VAT on its sales, a company pays corporation taxes on its profits, individuals pay income, NIC and dividend taxes on their incomes, capitals gains is on realised income, inheritance tax is paid when money is inherited.

Employers NIC is the exception in paying a charge on hiring someone who is themselves paying NIC too. It should be abolished.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Before Rutte stole Wilders' anti immigration clothes and almost all polls still have the PVV up on the last election
    It's worth remembering, though, that the PVV isn't going to be the big winner from this election. The PVV, if we reckon they get 22 seats (which is midpoint of the polling right now), will be uo 7 seats, and back at the same level they were at in 2010. That's pretty much the same increases as the rabidly pro-EU D66, and the CDA (both up 6 seats to 18 or 19 seats). Both of those parties saw their vote share markedly increase when they made commitments not to go into coalition with the PVV.

And the big winners on the evening are likely to be... The Greens who are forecast to be up 12 seats to 16. The Party of the Animals is also expected to rise 3 seats to 5.

Coalition building in the Netherlands is going to take a loooooooong time.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

It's worth remembering, though, that the PVV isn't going to be the big winner from this election. The PVV, if we reckon they get 22 seats (which is midpoint of the polling right now), will be uo 7 seats, and back at the same level they were at in 2010. That's pretty much the same increases as the rabidly pro-EU D66, and the CDA (both up 6 seats to 18 or 19 seats). Both of those parties saw their vote share markedly increase when they made commitments not to go into coalition with the PVV.

And the big winners on the evening are likely to be... The Greens who are forecast to be up 12 seats to 16. The Party of the Animals is also expected to rise 3 seats to 5.

Will it take a long time? Or will it be everyone who isn't far left or PVV joins together?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Patrick said:

If we're going to break manifesto pledges please could we start with the ridiculously damaging virtue signalling 0.7 percent DfiD nonsense. The sop to social care was only one fifth of the amount we waste on anti smoking campaigns etc in foreign lands.

I agree, and this is the paradigm case of virtue-signalling. How it works is this: highly-paid lefties have to pay income tax, like everyone else. This pisses them off because high taxes are just what the dr ordered for loathsome hedge fund managers, and Starbucks, but clearly not appropriate for people doing creative, life-enhancing leftie-type jobs like, ooh, leading the Opposition or writing for the guardian. Lefties ought to be whole-heartedly giving their dosh away to alleviate poverty and suffering (in addition to taking in all those refugees), but when you look at them their houses are devoid of Syrians and their tax returns free of charitable donations (see under Corbyn, J.) They square this circle by saying to themselves that if I pay large sums in tax, and say in a loud voice how happy I am that with the proportion of this that goes to DfiD, and wish it were larger, that is tantamount to making a charitable donation equivalent to their entire tax bill, and bugger the collateral damage to the tax-paying poor who really cannot afford the luxury of supporting DfiD, but have to anyway.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

The left is totally irrelevant in all of this. It is nowhere near to power and has no impact on government decision-making. Just cutting is not a sustainable policy either, because it would cause unmitigated and disastrous hardship for millions and millions of people. The social consequences of that are unknowable, but are unlikely to be good.

It is the Left who scream about every supposed cut the Government makes and who set the whole tone of the debate. Just as UKIP didn't have to be in power to set the tone that led to Brexit, the Left do not have to be in power to make people think we are living in an age of austerity when nothing could be further from the truth. Your comments on cuts being a disaster is a classic example of this.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,015
    Betting: Quintana is good value at 4.5 for the Tour. Sky might have to modify their "preparations" given the recent scrutiny making Froome poor value at 2.1 in my opinion.
  • Options

Yet the Conservatives under Cameron and now it seems May have resolutely failed to address the spending in large parts of the State. Areas such as the NHS and Education have been ring-fenced from any reductions so the axe has fallen disproportionately on other sectors.

I understand the politics of that but it makes no sense in terms of a holistic view of what the State should be doing and how efficient it is at doing it. There comes a point when funding reductions seriously impair the ability of a public service to operate as we saw in the 1990s.

We also have the absurd position we spend more on managing the debt in terms of interest payments than we do on defending the country yet all we hear from some Conservatives is how we should be spending more on defence.
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    Hammond is actually quite right to raise C4 NICs. The orchestrated ballyhoo by self employed journalists etc is quite amusing. Interesting to see Tim Farron being opportunistic in condemning the rise when people on the centre-left of politics by rights should be applauding this move. Backbench Tories with more to lose will cause trouble.
  • Options
    Two put their names forward for that nest of vipers Labour Gorton......

http://labourlist.org/2017/03/manchester-gorton-selection-mep-and-activist-enter-the-race/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

As a percentage of GDP the state has fallen but the NHS and social care have increasing demands and raising NI is the fairest way to pay for them.Though ironically the Leave victory you campaigned for has brought in May and Hammond who are if anything slightly more pro state than Cameron and Osborne who they replaced as PM and Chancellor

They are all cut from the same cloth. No real thinking outside the box and just keep spending more and more taxpayers money on failed ideas and failed institutions. And as an aside, as a percentage of GDP public spending is now higher than it was in 2005.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Will it take a long time? Or will it be everyone who isn't far left or PVV joins together?
    Are you kidding!

They all hate each other in the Netherlands, even without the PVV.

The Greens think the Party of the Animals are splittists who don't care enough about the regular environment. The CU and the Reformed Political Party won't get into bed with anyone who doesn't promise to recriminalise homesexuality*. The Socialist Party regards the PvdA as capitalist sell outs, while the PvdA blames the Socialist Party for knocking them off their top spot in the Netherlands. D66 and the VVD are both members of the ALDE in the European Parliament, but aren't in coalition together. The PvdA will not go back into coalition with the VVD because they got - LibDem-like - shafted this time around. And then we've got DENK, the Pirates, and over-50s, all of whom may be needed to get a parliamentary majority.

* A joke, but only just.
  • Options

stodge said:

Extra and socially just taxes are so easy to devise:
    Return to rates on all buildings for about half the local taxation, revalue them every year if need be (the Land Registry keeps track of values)
    Local income tax
    Merge the allowance for CGT and income tax at about £11k
    Harmonise CGT and income tax rates
    Harmonise corpn. tax to US level (i.e. also level with income tax rates and stop trying to become a tax haven, that's for the Caymans, you fool)
    End the upper limit on NI.
    Charge richer pensioners NI (call it something else).
    End tax relief on pensions (people would save anyway if NS&I would pay say inflation plus 0.25%, that also allows borrowing for investment)
    ad nauseam
    And then waste all that extra money and get no improvement in services just like every other Government has done for the last 5 decades.
  • Options
    Mr. Ace, for those of us not into cycling, which Tour is that?
  • Options
    'STV poll: Half of Scots would vote for independence'

http://tinyurl.com/zewy8w6
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,015

Mr. Ace, for those of us not into cycling, which Tour is that?

France. The second most important tour after Flanders!
  • Options
    Mr. Ace, cheers :)
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    'Ipsos MORI also asked Scots how they plan to vote in May's local government elections.

The SNP are set to pick up almost half of first preference votes (46%) giving the party a 27-percentage point lead over the second largest party, the Scottish Conservatives, on 19% Scottish Labour polled just 17% in third. At the last local government elections in 2012 the party finished second with 31% of the national vote.

The pro-independence Scottish Greens (8%) also look seat leapfrog the Lib Dems (6%) into fourth place in terms of first preference votes. Scotland's only pro-Brexit party, UKIP, polled 3%.'

• Options

Just as a point of order, the US states have different corporation tax levels. Also, no-one actually pays the official US corporate tax rate, S&P500 companies paid an average of 20% of profits in tax against a federal corporate tax rate of 35%.
  • Options
    More 'post-Sturgeon' speculation:

My guess is that in the autumn of next year, following Ms Sturgeon’s resignation in the wake of another referendum defeat, Mr Salmond would survey the SNP leadership contenders and find them wanting.

His conclusion, honestly reached after much consideration, would be that none of them could do the job as well as he could....Alex Salmond would be back. Big Eck redux. Cometh the hour, cometh the big man. And this time, no more Mister Nice Guy.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/277e02c2-0377-11e7-ae09-71f14792998a
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

Wait for CarlottaVance to read something into more women backing Tessy...

Perhaps the significant thing is that 75% think an independent Scotland should be in the single market so Europe shouldn't be a wedge issue against Yes.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845

The biggest problem with the attack on the self-employed is not the amounts, but the attitude.

Here we are, Brexit Britain, exciting and enterprising - ready to take on the world. And the first thing the new chancellor does is kick enterprising people in the teeth. Huh?

If businesses are abusing the self employment system, then target those employers. If a business employs the bulk of their workers as "self-employed", then they probably are not and should be treated as employees. The self-employed working for a business should be for occasional use e.g. skills not available within the company or seasonal requirements; not for the majority of workers.

Don't penalise people who are prepared to take a risk and create new jobs for our country.

Post of the morning.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Rose Garden romance still going strong!

https://twitter.com/dailymailuk/status/839767483682803712
  • Options

Those who back the Union were also found to be most set in their support.

When asked to choose on a scale of one to ten, with one being complete support for independence and ten being complete support for the Union, 28% said they completely supported independence while 38% had total support for the Union.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Just as a point of order, the US states have different corporation tax levels. Also, no-one actually pays the official US corporate tax rate, S&P500 companies paid an average of 20% of profits in tax against a federal corporate tax rate of 35%.
    Plus we pay 20% VAT on our takings and then pay corporation tax on top of that, there's no VAT in the USA. The proposal in America to introduce a "20% border-adjusted corporation tax" is essentially a 20% VAT with a deduction allowed for payroll expenses [which we don't get here] and then no traditional corporation tax on top of that.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    rcs1000 said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

They are:
    Brecon and Radnorshire
    Montgomeryshire
    Central Devon
    North Herefordshire
    North Cornwall
    Penrith and The Border
    Totnes
    Ludlow

So mostly areas with a large number of farmers. Will they be badly affected by these changes?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    isam said:

This time last year Cameron was the most powerful man in the country. Now he is virtually anonymous... How quickly power shifts.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    isam said:

Must be strange for a Kipper seeing two former leaders on good terms.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Plus we pay 20% VAT on our takings and then pay corporation tax on top of that, there's no VAT in the USA. The proposal in America to introduce a "20% border-adjusted corporation tax" is essentially a 20% VAT with a deduction allowed for payroll expenses [which we don't get here] and then no traditional corporation tax on top of that.
    Well strictly speaking VAT lies entirely within the balance sheet :>
  • Options
    Interesting - implies Scotland is a shade of odds on to leave the union if there is a referendum.
  • Options

It is the Left who scream about every supposed cut the Government makes and who set the whole tone of the debate. Just as UKIP didn't have to be in power to set the tone that led to Brexit, the Left do not have to be in power to make people think we are living in an age of austerity when nothing could be further from the truth. Your comments on cuts being a disaster is a classic example of this.

Spending cuts and freezes are already having a huge and negative impact on the NHS, social care, education and council services. And that's before you even begin to look at welfare. If you think a smaller state is the solution, then it is incumbent on you to explain how to achieve one without inflicting further harm on real people. Blaming the left for decisions being taken by Conservative ministers is ever so slightly silly.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I know that's how the BTA is being sold, but it's not actually VAT. Also, US states do already (mostly) have sales taxes.

The BTA is a tariff on imports and a subsidy on exports, pure and simple.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    isam said:

To be clear, I don't see this making very much difference to the polling. I can't see many self-employed switching to Labour as a result of this change. Perhaps UKIP will pick up some of the more crazed.

We need to watch closely whether the executive can face down the backbenches. It will tell us a lot about how the rest of this Parliament will play out.
    https://twitter.com/thedailymash/status/839760885853868032
    http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/science-technology/corbyn-not-governed-by-physical-laws-of-our-universe-supporters-tell-hawking-20170308123643

Omg the last paragraph.....
  • Options

My guess is that in the autumn of next year, following Ms Sturgeon’s resignation in the wake of another referendum defeat, Mr Salmond would survey the SNP leadership contenders and find them wanting.

His conclusion, honestly reached after much consideration, would be that none of them could do the job as well as he could....Alex Salmond would be back. Big Eck redux. Cometh the hour, cometh the big man. And this time, no more Mister Nice Guy.

He's not an MSP though
  • Options
    I make it that you'd be marginally better off backing both Yes and No at the appropriate odds than you would backing there to be a referendum.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

isam said:

This time last year Cameron was the most powerful man in the country. Now he is virtually anonymous... How quickly power shifts.
    Oddly enough, I find it reassuring that Cameron and Clegg, for everything that happened in Coalition, have maintained a relationship.

Whether we will come to look at the 2010-15 Government as a beacon of stability and order remains to be seen but I'm glad Cameron and Clegg's personal relationship has survived. It shows how much some things transcend politics.

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

glw said:

With some journalists.

That will be a key point.

People on PAYE will be looking at their payslips - perhaps for the first time really noticing how much NI they pay - and asking why the self-employed pay a lower rate of NI than they do.

Because the self-employed get less benefits. Also we (should) want to, as a country, encourage people to be self-employed which can lead on to setting up business which create jobs.

To many people the self-employed are either:

Tradesmen who get paid in cash
    Arthur Daly / Del Boy Trotter 'wheeler-dealers'
    Highly paid professionals working the tax system
    Don't forget the Avon Ladies! The Daily Mail featured one as a loser.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I know that's how the BTA is being sold, but it's not actually VAT. Also, US states do already (mostly) have sales taxes.

The BTA is a tariff on imports and a subsidy on exports, pure and simple.
    US state sales taxes average at about 5-7% not 20%
  • Options

isam said:

Must be strange for a Kipper seeing two former leaders on good terms.
    I don't think that gag works
  • Options
    Miss Vance, sounds like drunken madness to me. But there we are.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Pulpstar said:

Interesting - implies Scotland is a shade of odds on to leave the union if there is a referendum.

Is 5/2 odds on?

• Options
    edited March 2017
    The government needs immigration to be well above 100,000 a year for the foreseeable future. It is currently within its power to get immigration to the levels it believes are required without us having to leave the single market.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Is 5/2 odds on?

If the alternative is 11/4 then yes.
  • Options

He's not an MSP though
    Jim Murphy wasn't either (not the happiest of precedents, I know....)
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Immigration will surely depend on the industry needs and how they fit the new immigration criteria?
  • Options

I make it that you'd be marginally better off backing both Yes and No at the appropriate odds than you would backing there to be a referendum.
    Forensic! Good spot
This discussion has been closed.