Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the opposition leader wasn’t so feeble May/Hammond would fi

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    What's this I hear about Northern Ireland having to pay more Tax?
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Dixie said:

Scott_P said:
    Sky poll - NI increase has 56% support
    Also BBC panel favoured the move as fair
    amazing!
    anything that brings UKIP back to life is good. It will hurt labour most.
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642
    chestnut said:

Bojabob said:

chestnut said:

nielh said:

chestnut said:

RobD said:

chestnut said:

DavidL said:

Hmm. Class 4 NI is currently payable at 9% on earnings between £8060 and £43000 so on a band of £34940. So a 1% increase is £349.40. Against which there is the abolition of class 2, currently a fixed rate of £2.80 a week or £145.60 a year. So a tax increase of ££203.80 this year and another £349.40 next year.

What is all this hysteria about?

Median earnings for the self employed - £10,800.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/500317/self-employed-income.pdf
    Must be a big tail as this is supposed to bring in £500mn, IIRC.
    Nearly three quarters of all self employed are on £15,000 or less.

2.8m (half of all those with self employed income) earn less than £7,500.
    1.3m earn between £7.500 and £15,000.

There are roughly 500,000 self employed (less than 10% of the total) who earn/declare £30k or more. 95,000 are paid in excess of £100k.

Anyone who knows a bit about self employment knows what this game is. You can earn £50k self employed, claim £10k expenses, pay yourself £10k per year and put the other £30k in a tax free pension scheme. Or some variant of this arrangement. That way you would pay zero income tax and the national insurance on your £10k 'salary' would be similarly non existent. For the rest of us we would pay £15k in tax and national insurance on a salary of £50k.

Yes, deductible expenses are one of the great incentives of self employment.

That said, I don't think the average tradesperson, childminder, online retailer, minicab driver or delivery person (and these are the real core of the self employed) are starting from £50k gross.
    Those expenses have to be in the course of your work so how are they any different to me charging client lunches to expenses or train/air fares? True, if you work from home you can claim some heat and light and tax free computers are a big perk. But I (and many other employees) get a free laptop and iphone with my work anyway.

P.S. Saw your reply earlier. Thanks. I guess your videographer friend with the big client commissions is the one who dumped PAYE?
    She still does her PAYE work on a part time basis (as an insurance) but her heart is in her own business.

Others are covering the expenses issue though I often wonder how many of the Bentleys and Range Rovers I see in my part of the world are business 'expenses'.

In fairness my restaurateur buddy has a Jag, a Bentley and a Porsche Cayenne all his business fleet (!) but beyond flash cars you can't live off business expenses.
  • Options
    Dixie said:

Scott_P said:
    Also BBC panel favoured the move as fair
    amazing!
    I thought that as well
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    I think the NI rise on self employed is probably a mistake but I don't think this will blow up like the pasty tax somehow.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

nielh said:

Bojabob said:

nielh said:

chestnut said:

RobD said:

chestnut said:

DavidL said:

Hmm. Class 4 NI is currently payable at 9% on earnings between £8060 and £43000 so on a band of £34940. So a 1% increase is £349.40. Against which there is the abolition of class 2, currently a fixed rate of £2.80 a week or £145.60 a year. So a tax increase of ££203.80 this year and another £349.40 next year.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/500317/self-employed-income.pdf

There are roughly 500,000 self employed (less than 10% of the total) who earn/declare £30k or more. 95,000 are paid in excess of £100k.

Anyone who knows a bit about self employment knows what this game is. You can earn £50k self employed, claim £10k expenses, pay yourself £10k per year and put the other £30k in a tax free pension scheme. Or some variant of this arrangement. That way you would pay zero income tax and the national insurance on your £10k 'salary' would be similarly non existent. For the rest of us we would pay £15k in tax and national insurance on a salary of £50k.

What do you live on?
    Combination of 'business expenses' which would include for instance your car and renting your home office from yourself, and circa 1k per month tax free salary.
    I am afraid you clearly have no idea. If you are using a reputable accountant they would make very clear that living on business expenses is an absolute non starter. Everything has to be specifically for the business. Most these days also advise against using any part of your house for tax purposes as there has been a massive clampdown on such scams. Even your car can only be tax deductible for the bits that are actually used for business. The idea that you can live off such expenses is just fantasy - unless of course you are breaking the law and hoping to get away with it in which case more fool you.
    Nonsense. The vagaries of business expenses are open to widespread abuse and everyone (including the taxman) knows it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/independent/status/839587328410673153

Better than the other way around, I guess.. :D
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I see the BBC is describing today's Budget as 'The last ever Spring Budget'. What a stupid thing to say! They have obviously forgotten that Budget Day was moved from Spring to Autumn 1993 - 1996. Gordon Brown reverted to a Spring Budget. Who is to say that a future Chancellor will not do the same thing?
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    GIN1138 said:

I think the NI rise on self employed is probably a mistake but I don't think this will blow up like the pasty tax somehow.

I couldn't believe that got so many people mad.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Bojabob said:

nielh said:

Bojabob said:

nielh said:

Bojabob said:

nielh said:

chestnut said:

RobD said:

chestnut said:

DavidL said:

What do you live on?
    Combination of 'business expenses' which would include for instance your car and renting your home office from yourself, and circa 1k per month tax free salary.
    Well that is peanuts and wouldn't even cover my mortgage. I think you are living in a bit of a dream world to be honest.
    How do you think people living on minimum wage survive? Take home pay on minimum wage is £1079 per month once tax and NI are deducted.
    They barely do. That's my point. You are the person suggesting that someone with an income of £50k shovels £30k of it into a pension. I think that is completely farfetched.
    £20k a year after the zero tax isn't that bad.
    Would require you to live off £10k of business expenses. Tricky and borderline illegal if not completely illegal in many cases.
  • Options
    nielh said:

chestnut said:

nielh said:

chestnut said:

RobD said:

chestnut said:

DavidL said:

Yes, deductible expenses are one of the great incentives of self employment.

That said, I don't think the average tradesperson, childminder, online retailer, minicab driver or delivery person (and these are the real core of the self employed) are starting from £50k gross.
    In my experience, amongst the professions contracting is getting more and more common and you would have a model pretty much like the one I have described above where no substantive tax is paid on high incomes. Self employment is just another form of tax avoidance. I'm not an accountant though, this is just my gut instinct.

Most of the self employed are not earning 50k , I agree. Most are in the JAM category. My partner has been earning £15k per year self employed. I think it would be better financially to quit this and get a minimum wage job on the tills at the supermarket, at least that way there are provisions for sick pay and eligibility for JSA in the event of redundancy.

self emplyed is really split in 2. Low paid self employed is a mug;s game. No expenses, low paid. High paid is glory. expense everything adn cut tax. This increase is aimed at them.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    Bojabob said:

RobD said:

Bojabob said:

nielh said:

Bojabob said:

nielh said:

Bojabob said:

nielh said:

chestnut said:

RobD said:

chestnut said:

DavidL said:

What do you live on?
    Well that is peanuts and wouldn't even cover my mortgage. I think you are living in a bit of a dream world to be honest.
    How do you think people living on minimum wage survive? Take home pay on minimum wage is £1079 per month once tax and NI are deducted.
    They barely do. That's my point. You are the person suggesting that someone with an income of £50k shovels £30k of it into a pension. I think that is completely farfetched.
    Would require you to live off £10k of business expenses. Tricky and borderline illegal if not completely illegal in many cases.
    Yep, I doubt the taxman would look too kindly on it!
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,994
    nielh said:

Nonsense. The vagaries of business expenses are open to widespread abuse and everyone (including the taxman) knows it.

Given that accountants are now held legally responsible if their clients are proved to be doing anything dodgy and the accountant passes it, I think you will find the sorts of scams you are talking about are becoming increasingly rare.
  • Options
    Barcelona now 4 - need 2 more in 2 mins plus injury time
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Well it was the Posh Boys targeting the working classes and it came at a difficult time generally (there was all that jerry can stuff going on as well)
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    "In fairness my restaurateur buddy has a Jag, a Bentley and a Porsche Cayenne all his business fleet (!) but beyond flash cars you can't live off business expenses."

:smiley:

Agreed.

There is a tangible difference between average incomes of £26k PAYE and £26k Self Employed once the tax rules come into play though.

• Options

GIN1138 said:

Nor me. I seem to remember a Granny Tax too
    - was that the same budget? - I think the most damaging of taxes are those given silly/catchy names. I guess Hammond is dreading this one becoming the White Van Tax.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

nielh said:

Bojabob said:

nielh said:

Bojabob said:

nielh said:

chestnut said:

RobD said:

chestnut said:

DavidL said:

What do you live on?
    Anyone who is careful with money and who bought property pre 2000 will be likely to have a very small or no mortgage by now. Also, many households will have 2 incomes. It is not difficult to live off a double income of £2000 per month and certainly feasible to live on a single income of £1k per month. Being self employed you can buy things like work clothes on business expenses.
  • Options
    Penalty Barcelona - 5 - 1 - 1 more needed
  • Options

Penalty Barcelona - 5 - 1 - 1 more needed

5 mins stoppage time
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,322

GIN1138 said:

The 'Pasty Tax' in itself was ludicrously trivial, but the right-wing press were just gagging for and opportunity to stick one to Cameron and Osborne - mainly because they'd formed a coalition with the Lib Dems and were posh. The 'Pasty Tax' just happened to come to hand. It's very different for May and Hammond, who are viewed as the standard bearers of Brexit, which now trumps everything. That qualifies them for a degree of protection, so they'll probably be okay for now.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Bojabob said:

RobD said:

Bojabob said:

nielh said:

Bojabob said:

nielh said:

Bojabob said:

nielh said:

chestnut said:

RobD said:

chestnut said:

DavidL said:

snip
    SNIP
    What do you live on?
    I work with lots of s/e suppliers who I guess earn between £50k and £80k PA. If any of them were shovelling £10k of that into expenses to live off, I wouldn't be working with them - because they'd be in the cooler by now.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    I don't believe it.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    As a PAYE employee and not a business owner I can't pay family members just the right amount to get them tax credits, pay myself minimum wage then top up with dividends, etc.
  • Options
    Barcelona 6 - 1 20 seconds left - one of the most amazing games you will ever see
  • Options
    chestnut said:

"In fairness my restaurateur buddy has a Jag, a Bentley and a Porsche Cayenne all his business fleet (!) but beyond flash cars you can't live off business expenses."

Agreed.

There is a tangible difference between average incomes of £26k PAYE and £26k Self Employed once the tax rules come into play though.

chestnut said:

Agreed.

Agreed. But, also as discussed, now add back holidays, sick pay, notice...
  • Options

Barcelona 6 - 1 20 seconds left - one of the most amazing games you will ever see

Final score
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371

The Suarez penalty was a joke. But wow. What a game.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,322
    edited March 2017
    Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

- was that the same budget? - I think the most damaging of taxes are those given silly/catchy names. I guess Hammond is dreading this one becoming the White Van Tax.
    Yes, the 'Granny Tax' was in the same budget. I remember an elderly relative of mine going on a tirade about it to me - how the posh boys were throwing him to the wolves etc. When I saw him a few weeks later he sheepishly revealed that, thanks to other measures Ozzy had introduced, his pension had actually increased.
  • Options

So Barca have turned it round? Why did I cancel my BT Sport subscription?!?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

It's like WWE.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

So Barca have turned it round? Why did I cancel my BT Sport subscription?!?
    You missed a treat
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,437
    nielh said:

Anyone who is careful with money and who bought property pre 2000 will be likely to have a very small or no mortgage by now. Also, many households will have 2 incomes. It is not difficult to live off a double income of £2000 per month and certainly feasible to live on a single income of £1k per month. Being self employed you can buy things like work clothes on business expenses.

Try reading the tax case of Mallalieu v Drummond.

A barrister was refused a tax deduction for the cost of her court gowns etc.

The expense was due purpose and thus not deductible.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    Someone got 700 on Barca winning the Champs League!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    Poor PSG. Unlucky second penalty, but that was only after defensive errors cost them 3 goals in the first place, they should never have been in that position.
  • Options
    If Barcelona can win from there, there's hope for Corbyn.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

It was nonsense, but hit at the right moment I guess.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I wouldn't go that far
  • Options
    City drop 2 points at home to Stoke
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Scott_P said:
    That might not be the case if the media lay into it for a day or two.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited March 2017
    The logic in the press over minor changes...Pasty tax worst thing evvvveeerrr...Sugar tax great.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I wouldn't go that far
    I grant you even in a desperate position Barcelona have great inherent quality, so it's not a perfect comparison.
  • Options
    What an amazing and unbelievable game - that's one they'll be talking about for years and years.... the odds were huge.

Well done the potters!
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited March 2017
    Google News search hits, in French language:

Le Pen 73,000,000
    Fillon 43,300,000
    Macron 25,600,000
    Hamon 19,800,000
    Mélenchon 7,870,000

Observations:

* Le Pen is getting mentioned more than her two nearest rivals in the polls put together
    * Mélenchon is doing well to get around 11% in the polls, given that he isn't in the news much
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    As it doesn't affect many, is perceived to be fair, and is going to social care, I think it will have majority support, despite some of the conservative press
  • Options

What an amazing and unbelievable game - that's one they'll be talking about for years and years.... the odds were huge.

Well done the potters!

Good post
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited March 2017
    Cyan said:

Le Pen 73,000,000
    Fillon 43,300,000
    Macron 25,600,000
    Hamon 19,800,000
    Mélenchon 7,870,000

Observations:

* Le Pen is getting mentioned more than her two nearest rivals in the polls put together
    * Mélenchon is doing well to get around 11% in the polls, given that he isn't in the news much

Le Pen shares her name with her father and niece. Even then "Le Pen" in quotes gives you 34 million, behind Fillon.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Bloody hell PSG. WTF?

@GIN1138 Yeah, I'd forgotten about Francis' Maude silly 'jerry can' comment.

@Bobajob Yes, there was a 'granny tax' and it was a part of the same budget: http://www.theweek.co.uk/politics/46683/budget-omni-shambles-even-bishops-are-revolting

@Stark_Dawning Yes, I think the right-wing press like May a lot more than they did Cameron. Apparently Murdoch wasn't the biggest fan of Cameron as well. The Mail seemed to only 'put up with' Cameron because he wasn't Gordon Brown or Ed Miliband.

@kle4 And in the end, it still didn't help Ed Miliband. But at the time it was definitely a 'crisis' of sorts for the government. Many took the opportunity to dig the knife in Osborne. I remember people mocking his so called abilities as a 'master strategist' during that period.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
    edited March 2017
    https://twitter.com/CillianSheridan/status/839596065225641987

Ah, I see Scrapheap did it himself.
    Well played sir.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

Crowdscores had the goals before the TV :smile:
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
    edited March 2017
    Duplicate
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

RobD said:

Bojabob said:

RobD said:

Bojabob said:

nielh said:

Bojabob said:

nielh said:

Bojabob said:

nielh said:

chestnut said:

RobD said:

chestnut said:

DavidL said:

snip
    SNIP
    What do you live on?
    I work with lots of s/e suppliers who I guess earn between £50k and £80k PA. If any of them were shovelling £10k of that into expenses to live off, I wouldn't be working with them - because they'd be in the cooler by now.
    The government themselves seem to think that 10k expenses is normal.
    https://www.gov.uk/expenses-if-youre-self-employed/overview
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,128
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    I suspect its one of these tax rises where those who aren't affected have little sympathy for those who are.

Many people on PAYE regard the self-employed as tax dodging cash in hand merchants who run a lot of personal costs through the books.

"Why should they be allowed to pay less NI than me" will be a widespread view.

Of course those affected negatively might well think differently :wink:
  • Options
    nielh said:

Bojabob said:

RobD said:

Bojabob said:

RobD said:

Bojabob said:

nielh said:

Bojabob said:

nielh said:

Bojabob said:

nielh said:

chestnut said:

RobD said:

chestnut said:

DavidL said:

snip
    SNIP
    What do you live on?
    To live off??
  • Options

https://twitter.com/CillianSheridan/status/839596065225641987

Ah, I see Scrapheap did it himself.
    Well played sir.

I thank you....
  • Options
    On the actual topic of the rise in national insurance for the self employed: If this hits the JAM self employed, as I suspect it will, it is bad news and a bizarre move by the government with little obvious benefit. They will however be insulated from criticism because the self employed are not an obvious constituency for the Corbynites and Corbyn is useless anyway. Its just a tax rise.
  • Options
    With this budget, I think we can put to bed an prospect of a GE this year
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,128
    Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

It was and Osborne's first omnishambles budget also had a 'church tax' and a 'caravan tax':

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9223959/George-Osborne-preparing-u-turn-on-church-tax.html

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/the-northerner/2012/may/18/vat-static-caravans-george-osborne-east-yorkshire-pasties-grannies

There were multiple U-Turns in the following weeks.

Osborne had done himself no favours by going off on a political jolly to the USA the week before his Budget rather than concentrating on its details.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    I hope that the Barcelona PSG game wasn't tainted in the same way as Argentina and Peru many, many years ago.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

nielh said:

Bojabob said:

RobD said:

Bojabob said:

RobD said:

Bojabob said:

nielh said:

Bojabob said:

nielh said:

Bojabob said:

nielh said:

chestnut said:

RobD said:

chestnut said:

DavidL said:

snip
    SNIP
    What do you live on?
    To live off??
    Would include a car, home office, utility bills etc.
    Didn't even mention the possibility of paying your wife a salary if you are in a single income household. This would give you a double income of £22k per year tax free. More than enough to live on etc.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,714

I suspect its one of these tax rises where those who aren't affected have little sympathy for those who are.

Many people on PAYE regard the self-employed as tax dodging cash in hand merchants who run a lot of personal costs through the books.

It's certainly a view I have a lot of sympathy for, and as a PAYE employed accountant, something I see a lot of. Mileage claims with only vague support, costs incurred that I might not consider allowable waved through by my partner (usually 'advertising' - at that nice restaurant up the road), any and all capital expenditure justified as somehow business related (iPads, iPhones... anything by Apple really).

I use my personal computer at home to work remotely. Did I (could I) have ever claimed that as a 'business expense'? Course I couldn't. But go self employed and literally everything goes.

And with HMRC investigations few and far between these days, it's no wonder people try it on, and equally no wonder that PAYE employees feel somewhat aggrieved at this situation.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Budget calculator says I'm £9.32 a month better off.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Don't spend it all at once.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Cyan said:

Le Pen 73,000,000
    Fillon 43,300,000
    Macron 25,600,000
    Hamon 19,800,000
    Mélenchon 7,870,000

Observations:

Has anyone ever found any relationship between the number of Google searches and votes cast?
  • Options

Cyan said:

Le Pen 73,000,000
    Fillon 43,300,000
    Macron 25,600,000
    Hamon 19,800,000
    Mélenchon 7,870,000

Observations:

Has anyone ever found any relationship between the number of Google searches and votes cast?
    UKIP were most mentioned in 2015 GE. so....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Because I'm a good sort I declared around 200 quid of untaxed interest to HMRC in FY15/16 which I'll pay my 20% on next year. So that is half of it gone :)
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    OGH and commentators trying hard to nail Hammond. It was explained by Hunt on TV that that the NICs promise was intended for employees only.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Because I'm a good sort I declared around 200 quid of untaxed interest to HMRC in FY15/16 which I'll pay my 20% on next year. So that is half of it gone :)
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Don't try repeating that to jezza...His head will explode trying to work that out.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

I thought the media was laying into tax avoidance - like self employment loopholes e.g.

"Loopholes that allow many self-employed workers to pay less tax may be closed in the budget" - The Guardian Tuesday 7 March
  • Options
    Non stop whinge to be perfectly honest. The "perk" of being self employed is that you get to cut out certain stuff as business expenses - although I accept if you're doing it properly then it is limited.

BUT THAT IS REFLECTED IN YOUR INCOME FOR TAX & NI PURPOSES ANYWAY.

So after all that why shouldn't NI for employed and self employed be broadly bought into line ?

We'll all cost the state the same when we're 95 and up to our knees in our own piss.
  • Options
    What price were Barca to qualify generally ?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Just seen tomorrows front pages, OUCH!
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

They crashed from 20/1 to 7/1 today. They were matched at 350 in-running, mind. The market knew!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I saw someone say they were 55/1 before the start.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    fitalass said:

I can actually see some merit in putting up NI for the self-employed and I don't really see why this government should be bound by the manifesto that the last government was elected on.

But what really did stick in the throat was Hammond's inference that the self-employed are spongers and have been fiddling the system while those brave workers in the private sector and the multi-national corporations have been paying their dues...

Because what this says to me is that this CoE doesn't understand or even particularly like small business owners which is a terrible, terrible position for the Conservative Party to find itself in.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Really? You mean £200 in total, which would be covered by the interest allowance (of either £1k or £500) or do you mean £1,200/£700 in total of which the balance of £200 falls to tax.

*Must stop talking tax - getting excited*
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    fitalass said:

Yesterday the newspapers were approvingly writing about how more money would be found for social care. Now that the government has explained how some of the money will be raised, using measures that most people on here seem to find reasonable, the papers are up in arms. And the sums are small in the grand scheme of things.

It's almost as though there's some collective amnesia about the f*cking huge hole in the nation's finances that still remains to be closed.

Journalists as a class are by and large idiots.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    I hope everybody took the 25/1 from Paddy...

https://twitter.com/heraldscotland/status/839567727278886914
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Pulpstar said:

Really? You mean £200 in total, which would be covered by the interest allowance (of either £1k or £500) or do you mean £1,200/£700 in total of which the balance of £200 falls to tax.

*Must stop talking tax - getting excited*
    The interest allowance wasn't in place in FY ending April 16, it is this tax year the £1000 allowance comes in.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Is that in real terms allowing for projected inflation in 2017/18 ?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    fitalass said:

When it effects Juornos personally.....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Is that in real terms allowing for projected inflation in 2017/18 ?
    Doubtful.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    GIN1138 said:

fitalass said:

But what really did stick in the throat was Hammond's inference that the self-employed are spongers and have been fiddling the system while those brave workers in the private sector and the multi-national corporations have been paying their dues...

What did he say about self employed during the speech? Did he really infer that self-employed are spongers. I'd be suprised.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    The CoE for the Big Banks and Google and Amazon while those shirkers who have been fiddling the system and not paying their dues - Plumbers, builders and White Van Man - Can go to hell...

Not great Phil. Not great.
  • Options
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

They crashed from 20/1 to 7/1 today. They were matched at 350 in-running, mind. The market knew!
    I almost very shrewdly backed PSG to qualify at 3-0! But didn't...
  • Options
    isam said:
    Danger of laying a 50-1 shot at 20-1 :)
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Scott_P said:
    we haven't left the EU yet or stopped our contributions . And this guy wants to lead labour

• Options
    nunu said:

GIN1138 said:

fitalass said:

What did he say about self employed during the speech? Did he really infer that self-employed are spongers. I'd be suprised.
    Can't remember the exact phraseology but the inference was that public and self-employed take out equal amounts from the State but the self employed haven't been paying their way.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:
    Danger of laying a 50-1 shot at 20-1 :)
    At least Stoke got a point, so not all bad for the 365ers!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The interest allowance wasn't in place in FY ending April 16, it is this tax year the £1000 allowance comes in.

Just goes to show. My knowledge is a bit *too* up to date.

Anyway, must get back to drafting that letter to my MP, Peter Dowd about school funding... like he'll pay any notice to that with his five figure majority.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    we haven't left the EU yet or stopped our contributions . And this guy wants to lead labour

Are you saying that we will actually see the £350m at some point?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311
    What it boils down to is that you can't make any change which adversely affects anyone without mass hysteria breaking out.

The sums involved are so small that I doubt any self-employed person would even notice them if they weren't told.

If they are genuinely self-employed then their income will be varying anyway so an extra 1% (only above the threshold) is barely noticeable and of course it's partially offset by the abolition of Class 2 anyway (and low earners will actually gain more by the abolition of Class 2).

The whole thing is laughable but that's the society we now live in.
This discussion has been closed.