Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betfair moves sharply back to Macron for French President foll

Comments

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Scott_P said:

@bbcnickrobinson: Tale of 2 speeches: Boris tells business that Brexit deal in EU's interest as Davis tells Cabinet to prepare for possibility of no deal

it's almost like they haven't a clue...

It's almost like the negotiations haven't started let alone finished.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst is the strategy of anyone sane.
    I am glad that our side of the negotiation has such consummate professionals looking after the UK's interests.

:D
    This is just negotiating 101. In fact it's not even that. It's axiomatic. This used to be my day job for over a decade. I know whereof I speak.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

See below - amendment list for Lords tomorrow.

First amendment for debate is re EU citizens in the UK - must make a Government defeat almost certain - as Lab will have a decent number present at that point.

With Con rebels and Crossbenchers surely breaking for the opposition it's very hard to see any way that the Government can win that vote.

However the vote on Parliamentary approval looks like it'll be quite a bit later - it's on page 4 - so Government will have a better chance on that one.

https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2016-2017/0103/17103-II.pdf

If the Gov't loses in the Lords then what

Bill goes back to the commons, the Tories vote down the amendments and then it heads back to the Lords - I've heard at that stage the Labour position is to allow the bill unimpeded ?
    All the while Tory vote share ticks up and up as all true democrats support the only party that are defending democracy.....

If the Bill goes back to the commons I expect Tory vote share to hit 50%

For all OGH thinks no-one cares about Europe, standing up for Britain against EU sillyness (within or without our shores) always polls well.
    If the bill goes back to the Commons I expect Tory vote share to be within margin of error of what it was beforehand. The general public doesn't care about Parliamentary Ping Pong.

If the bill fails to be passed by the Lords repeatedly after the Commons keeps sending it back to them and an early election is forced, then and only then would vote shares be meaningfully affected.
    I'd agree, apart from that Parly ping-pong is a huge driver of front pages.

Sun, Express, Mail would be all over it...

LORDS BETRAY EXPATS TO HELP IMMIGRANTS - something like that....
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

First amendment for debate is re EU citizens in the UK - must make a Government defeat almost certain - as Lab will have a decent number present at that point.

With Con rebels and Crossbenchers surely breaking for the opposition it's very hard to see any way that the Government can win that vote.

However the vote on Parliamentary approval looks like it'll be quite a bit later - it's on page 4 - so Government will have a better chance on that one.

https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2016-2017/0103/17103-II.pdf

Bill goes back to the commons, the Tories vote down the amendments and then it heads back to the Lords - I've heard at that stage the Labour position is to allow the bill unimpeded ?
    All the while Tory vote share ticks up and up as all true democrats support the only party that are defending democracy.....

For all OGH thinks no-one cares about Europe, standing up for Britain against EU sillyness (within or without our shores) always polls well.
    If the bill goes back to the Commons I expect Tory vote share to be within margin of error of what it was beforehand. The general public doesn't care about Parliamentary Ping Pong.

If the bill fails to be passed by the Lords repeatedly after the Commons keeps sending it back to them and an early election is forced, then and only then would vote shares be meaningfully affected.

LORDS BETRAY QUITTERS TO HELP JOINERS

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Yes sadly that is the way it will be put - but it is important to remember that 'expat' is just another word for immigrant!
  • Options
    felix said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Yes sadly that is the way it will be put - but it is important to remember that 'expat' is just another word for immigrant!
    Indeed - to you and I, but not to the press (and most of the readership, I suspect).
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,135
    felix said:

felix said:

Such a stupid thing to defeat the government over. Parliament should be concerned with the rights of British citizens not just EU citizens. The government have already made clear they wish to respect the rights of EU citizens and it is simply conditional on a reciprocal agreement from Europe that they'll respect our citizens rights.

So what do the Lords hope to achieve here? If our citizens rights are respected then an agreement can be made quickly. If they're not then should Parliament encourage that?

I cannot begin to imagine how any sentient being could conceivably think it's a good idea for one side to guarantee the rights of the other side's citizens unconditionally. Even if our EU friends decide to chuck out British citizens? Even if there's no deal at all? What about healthcare costs? What about welfare payments?

What on earth are these peers smoking?
    Guaranteeing the rights of EU citizens living and working in Britain is in Britain's interests, and sod what anyone else, including British ex-pats, thinks about it.
    Those ' expats ' are UK citizens and as such deserve to be supported by their duly elected government. I think that post officially confirms you as a total numbnut!
    I read it as meaning the two issues are not linked rather than that one was important and the other wasn't.
    Ahem - what part of "sod what anyone else, including British ex-pats, thinks about it" do you not understand.
    It means the optics from their perspective are not what matters, but what is the British interest overall. I think people in your position would be better served by a government that was not using you as an implicit bargaining chip in a misconceived quid pro quo.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Oh dear just when you think they don't come much lower than Mr Glenn up pops 5 names bobajob to go even lower.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Mortimer said:

Siôn Simon is back writing articles.

'Shortly there will be an election, in which Labour will increase its majority'

In under ten weeks, Labour can be back in government in the West Midlands, in Greater Manchester and in Merseyside. With directly-elected mayors in these areas and other parts of England, we can join Labour leaders in London and Bristol in taking back control of our own regions from the Tories in central government. And it’s about time isn’t it?

http://labourlist.org/2017/02/sion-simon-mayors-can-take-a-stand-against-tycoons-dodging-the-living-wage/

Some Sions never learn.....

I'd be surprised if Andy Street doesn't beat him in West Midlands....
    Absolutely, a win for Andy Street would be the highlight of May 4th.
  • Options
    Entirely OT, but just opened the bottle of Jura Superstition that was on special offer in Sainsbury's over the weekend. Really rather pleasant - a good intro Islay for someone who can't cope with Laphroig, Lagavulin or Caol Isla....
  • Options
    felix said:

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Oh dear just when you think they don't come much lower than Mr Glenn up pops 5 names bobajob to go even lower.
    We should just skip the next 5 forgotten password incidents and refer to Mr Job as B....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    felix said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Emigrant, surely?
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

Such a stupid thing to defeat the government over. Parliament should be concerned with the rights of British citizens not just EU citizens. The government have already made clear they wish to respect the rights of EU citizens and it is simply conditional on a reciprocal agreement from Europe that they'll respect our citizens rights.

So what do the Lords hope to achieve here? If our citizens rights are respected then an agreement can be made quickly. If they're not then should Parliament encourage that?

I cannot begin to imagine how any sentient being could conceivably think it's a good idea for one side to guarantee the rights of the other side's citizens unconditionally. Even if our EU friends decide to chuck out British citizens? Even if there's no deal at all? What about healthcare costs? What about welfare payments?

Guaranteeing the rights of EU citizens living and working in Britain is in Britain's interests, and sod what anyone else, including British ex-pats, thinks about it.
    Those ' expats ' are UK citizens and as such deserve to be supported by their duly elected government. I think that post officially confirms you as a total numbnut!
    I read it as meaning the two issues are not linked rather than that one was important and the other wasn't.
    Ahem - what part of "sod what anyone else, including British ex-pats, thinks about it" do you not understand.
    It means the optics from their perspective are not what matters, but what is the British interest overall. I think people in your position would be better served by a government that was not using you as an implicit bargaining chip in a misconceived quid pro quo.
    No you really don't think that at all. You have made your views very clear for everyone to read. for that we can all be very grateful. I believe my interests are best served by the current government which at least has the virtue of living in the real world.
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

I think a period of silence from you on 'what is the British interest overall' would be appreciated - given you seem to care more about your pet project of EuroFederalism than anything else...
  • Options
    There must be an easier way to solve this immigrant/ex-pat conundrum. Why not simply create a single labour market and deem all these citizens citizens of the Europe? Problem solved.
  • Options

Things to do.....

bye!

Pvt. Sunil: Hey, Beverley - don't worry! Me and my squad of ultimate Brexiteers will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phased plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...
    Sgt. RobD: Knock it off, Sunil!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I have a painful dilemma. Perhaps PB can help.

I have two competing late April travel commissions. Can't do both. Have to choose. But which? - they are:

1. see the best of Rome, and stay at lovely hotels like the refurbed Meridien Visconti and Sofitel Borghese

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187791-d229019-Reviews-Sofitel_Rome_Villa_Borghese-Rome_Lazio.html

Or

2. do a tour of the Loire chateaux, vineyards and famous gardens.

My instinct is to go for Rome: better weather, better art, and better food. But I've never been to the Loire valley.

Is the Loire any good? Or is it just a bunch of big houses and mediocre bistros?

My recent trips to Dordogne, and Lyon, have slightly put me off France. The food is in serious relative decline. BUT I have been to Rome many times. And basically seen it all.

As beautiful as the Loire will be, Rome in April is pretty special. Screw it, Rome in any month is pretty special.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

felix said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Emigrant, surely?
    Two sides of the same coin - in my case emigrant from the UK and immigrant to Spain.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

felix said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Emigrant, surely?
    All emigrants are immigrants.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    The most amusing thing about the Lords playing silly buggers will be watching the 'principled' abolitionists lauding them!
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

There must be an easier way to solve this immigrant/ex-pat conundrum. Why not simply create a single labour market and deem all these citizens citizens of the Europe? Problem solved.

You are williamglenn and I claim my five pounds.
  • Options
    felix said:

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

I wasn't being entirely serious. More mocking the papers (and Mortimer) and certainly not you or expats. Apologies for any offence caused – not my intention.
  • Options
    @SeanT - I suggest you do the Loire valley. Purely for selfish reasons as the resulting travel tips would be more useful for me. :)
  • Options
    chestnut said:

The most amusing thing about the Lords playing silly buggers will be watching the 'principled' abolitionists lauding them!

Indeed.

Why Farronistas and Blairites are seen to be more respectable than Faragistes absolutely baffles me....
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

So?

The front page is tomorrow's fish and chip wrapper. Any outrage will be short lived and will not swing votes unless it becomes meaningful and not Parliamentary games.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I have two competing late April travel commissions. Can't do both. Have to choose. But which? - they are:

1. see the best of Rome, and stay at lovely hotels like the refurbed Meridien Visconti and Sofitel Borghese

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187791-d229019-Reviews-Sofitel_Rome_Villa_Borghese-Rome_Lazio.html

Or

My instinct is to go for Rome: better weather, better art, and better food. But I've never been to the Loire valley.

Is the Loire any good? Or is it just a bunch of big houses and mediocre bistros?

My recent trips to Dordogne, and Lyon, have slightly put me off France. The food is in serious relative decline. BUT I have been to Rome many times. And basically seen it all.

"But I've never been to the Loire valley" I think you've just answered your own question.
  • Options

@SeanT - I suggest you do the Loire valley. Purely for selfish reasons as the resulting travel tips would be more useful for me. :)

That settles it Sean.

The Rogerdamus of Europe has spoken.

Rome it is.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

felix said:

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

I wasn't being entirely serious. More mocking the papers (and Mortimer) and certainly not you or expats. Apologies for any offence caused – not my intention.
    No need to mock old boy.

I'm not a headline writer.

There are too many rare old books to be unearthed!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Or

Um, today, I made do with going all the way from Brum to Manchester just to do the new second city crossing on the Metrolink Tram (ie. Deansgate to Victoria), before doing Victoria to Newton-le-Willows direct :lol:
  • Options
    TonyTony Posts: 159
    SeanT said:

Or

Beware Rome close to Easter. Teeming with true believers...
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

So?

The front page is tomorrow's fish and chip wrapper. Any outrage will be short lived and will not swing votes unless it becomes meaningful and not Parliamentary games.
    Front pages drive opinion polls shocker....
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    SeanT said:

Or

Go to France and report back to PB about the election.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

UNELECTED ENEMIES OF DA PEOPLE!!!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

felix said:

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

We should just skip the next 5 forgotten password incidents and refer to Mr Job as B....

A technical point – I didn't actually forget my password this time, I forgot my email address. I deliberately scrambled it to force myself to take some time out from PB, then was unable to reverify it. A dull story admittedly but a true one. I am sure I have your every sympathy.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

So?

Actually front pages don't drive opinion polls.

That's why changes outside margin of error are exceedingly rare and don't occur on a daily basis depending upon today's front page. Events and the passage of time change opinion polls and front pages play a small role in that.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

felix said:

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

A technical point – I didn't actually forget my password this time, I forgot my email address. I deliberately scrambled it to force myself to take some time out from PB, then was unable to reverify it. A dull story admittedly but a true one. I am sure I have your every sympathy.
    LOL.

Fair cop.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

felix said:

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

LOL.

Fair cop.
    :)
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    chestnut said:

They certainly won't be calling them "unelected" for a while.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

So?

That's why changes outside margin of error are exceedingly rare and don't occur on a daily basis depending upon today's front page. Events and the passage of time change opinion polls and front pages play a small role in that.
    You were saying how most people are not aware of parly ping pong.

I countered that headlines will ensure they become events in popular consciousness

So with this response you're basically supporting my POV.

Next!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited February 2017
    If Theresa used Brexit interference as a reason to cull the Lords and slash it's size by 75% the public would back her.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Or

It has been many years since I was there but what I remember of the Loire was lovely. April can be mixed admittedly – you could the best of a glorious spring or a rainfest. I'd head there if only to challenge them to defy your recent poor gastronomic experience of France. They'll love that.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

So?

You were saying how most people are not aware of parly ping pong.

I countered that headlines will ensure they become events in popular consciousness

So with this response you're basically supporting my POV.

Next!
    No I did not. I said and I quote "The general public doesn't care about Parliamentary Ping Pong."

Not caring about something and not being aware of it are two completely different things.

Next!
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

I toured the Loire valley in the summer of 1962 on an ES2 Norton motorbike, staying at youth hostels (!). "sol et luminaire" was, I think, just coming in. Do they still do that? It's kinda cheesy, but the food, French, culture, and countryside was great for a youngster.
  • Options
    Toms said:

I toured the Loire valley in the summer of 1962 on an ES2 Norton motorbike, staying at youth hostels (!). "sol et luminaire" was, I think, just coming in. Do they still do that? It's kinda cheesy, but the food, French, culture, and countryside was great for a youngster.
    Jeremy, is that you???
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    SeanT said:

Or

The Loire is great. Best toured on a bicycle. You are met by the chateaux owners who give you a glass of something local. Lovely.

Rome is Rome. Wondrous and always worth a visit. As A PBer it's where you should go but I'd choose the Loire. But check the weather. The Loire in the rain is not so much fun.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    SeanT said:

Or

I would go to the Loire for the gardens, many of the magnolias should be in full flower late April. And the wines should be ok.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

If Theresa used Brexit interference as a reason to cull the Lords and slash it's size by 75% the public would back her.

The Lords is the world's only Upper House larger than its respective Lower House.
  • Options

chestnut said:

The Lords is the world's only Upper House larger than its respective Lower House.
    I thought we assessed that China's great democracy was the other?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Entirely OT, but just opened the bottle of Jura Superstition that was on special offer in Sainsbury's over the weekend. Really rather pleasant - a good intro Islay for someone who can't cope with Laphroig, Lagavulin or Caol Isla....

I have a bizarre relationship with Islay malts. I only like them towards the end of the evening, when I devour them greedily. Drinking Lap or Talisker at 9.30pm just doesn't work for me. But yes Jura is a decent halfway house. Enjoy.
  • Options

Toms said:

Jeremy, is that you???
    I'm older than he but, if I do say so, wiser and probably even more autistic.
  • Options

chestnut said:

Actually, no. China is Unicameral. (Bicameral = two Houses)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,996
    SeanT said:

Or

I'd go for the Loire, then again I prefer the country to the city.

Which is paying the most ?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Not much time remaining now to call an election for May 4th even if Corbyn were to agree - which after last week seems highly unlikely.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Bojabob said:

Sandpit said:

felix said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Emigrant, surely?
    All emigrants are immigrants.
    Only the ones that reach their destination.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,712
    @Sunil - You'll have to go back to Manchester in December to do the Ordsall Chord

@SeanT - You wouldn't go on holiday to look at fields full of turnips*, so why go on holiday to look at fields full of grape vines? (I know it is supposed to be work!)

*Certain PBers may disagree.
  • Options

chestnut said:

Maybe it was largest total parliament size then. Definitely an unflattering comparison,
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Not much time remaining now to call an election for May 4th even if Corbyn were to agree - which after last week seems highly unlikely.
    Elections don't have to be be on the first Thursday in May.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    "I'm staying put. I need to make sure the government actually delivers on Brexit and I'm not going to take my foot off the pedal until Article 50 has been triggered."

So he won't take the foot off the pedal until the end of March. Not exactly a long commitment that, it's interesting he named Article 50 and not actual Brexit as critical point.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Elections don't have to be be on the first Thursday in May.
    Indeed so - and I think a lot of people have rather lost sight of that! Regardless of that, I don't think that Corbyn's co-operation would be forthcoming in calling an early election - despite what he said last year.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,996
    edited February 2017
    Scott_P said:

//twitter.com/telepolitics/status/836693991915606016

Let him go I say. It is crazy for him to stay in UKIP. We won the referendum, the act has been played out, shake hands and say so long.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Anyone been watching the NI debate on the BBC News Channel? Any good?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,015
    edited February 2017
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Yes, probably. I truly hope that the government has a cooler head than its rasher supporters and media, who will seek to push for another major constitutional change, eg House of Lords reform, in precipitate fashion (not in the sense it should not have happened before now, but that if after so much delay they suddenly came up with a major plan, it would indeed be rushed). A mass reduction in the number of peers for instance, might well be justified in general, but as snap response to parliamentary ping pong, which is part of the usual process of government (depending on how much ping pong they play this time), it would be a silly thing to do, reactive rather than properly considered. Yes it would be popular, but more thought needs to go into the role and composition of the Lords, thought that much of the time has been avoided, than sudden change.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Independent MP in talks to remain independent MP.
  • Options

@Sunil - You'll have to go back to Manchester in December to do the Ordsall Chord

Yes I saw it under construction!

Actually there are five stations in Greater Manchester that I haven't visited or passed through:
    Westhoughton on the Bolton to Wigan link, Hall i'th' Wood and Bromley Cross on the Blackburn line, and Reddish South and Denton on the Friday morning only "ghost train" from Stockport to Stalybridge.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    SeanT said:

Toms said:

France is not what it was, though, in terms of food (or indeed wine, or many other things)

I have been to France a dozen times in the last few years, I cannot remember a single meal that stands out. I can, by contrast, remember special meals in London, Cornwall, Devon, Calabria, Venice, Bhutan, India, Zambia.

The food in Lyon and the surrounding area was actively YUK. Tho not as bad as Bolivia. Or Germany.

In terms of landscapes France remains wonderful. That presumably will not change. The Dordogne is sensationally lovely to look at, even in deep Autumn.
    Yes, I know you've said that before about French food.

But when I toured there I had very little money. Then, British student refectory food involved things like greasy chips and cauliflower cooked to a pasty consistency. Oh my god.
    Cafe food in France then had an inviolable basement considerably above that.

English fare has now truly risen, thanks no doubt in part to immigration.
  • Options

chestnut said:

Maybe it was largest total parliament size then. Definitely an unflattering comparison,
    2,987 members!!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Toms said:

France is not what it was, though, in terms of food (or indeed wine, or many other things)

I have been to France a dozen times in the last few years, I cannot remember a single meal that stands out. I can, by contrast, remember special meals in London, Cornwall, Devon, Calabria, Venice, Bhutan, India, Zambia.

The food in Lyon and the surrounding area was actively YUK. Tho not as bad as Bolivia. Or Germany.

In terms of landscapes France remains wonderful. That presumably will not change. The Dordogne is sensationally lovely to look at, even in deep Autumn.
    The Loire landscape is pretty flat and dull, in my opinion. The Dordogne is much more attractive.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

Or

They pay exactly the same: £400 for 1000 words. Given that it takes 3-7 days to go and research these pieces, the pay is absurdly pitiful (though you do get handsomely fed and sheltered while you are away, for free). This pathetic rate is why so many travel writers are now broke, or their papers have turned to giving the "travel writing commissions" to celebs, whose unreadable copy is then rewritten by some poor zero hours sub-editor in a basement in Victoria.

A rum do.

I am very luckily able to subsidise my travel writing with the ludicrously remunerative thrillers. So I can afford to take the salary hit. Many others have just given up.

My entire profession is dying out. I can hear the scornful laughter from Scotland and Yorkshire down here in Camden. But be warned, all you pb white collar workers, who laugh at journalists going bankrupt: you are ALL next.
    I'd happily take the Rome commission if you could subcontract it out, although I'm not sure I could pull off the Eurosceptic lothario disguise.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The biggest concern is that if he did, he might try and bring back his mate TPD Reckless with him too.... now that would need a lot of nose-clips
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Scott_P said:
    The biggest concern is that if he did, he might try and bring back his mate TPD Reckless with him too.... now that would need a lot of nose-clips
    !

https://twitter.com/Arron_banks/status/836699675793240066
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

Or

They pay exactly the same: £400 for 1000 words. Given that it takes 3-7 days to go and research these pieces, the pay is absurdly pitiful (though you do get handsomely fed and sheltered while you are away, for free). This pathetic rate is why so many travel writers are now broke, or their papers have turned to giving the "travel writing commissions" to celebs, whose unreadable copy is then rewritten by some poor zero hours sub-editor in a basement in Victoria.

A rum do.

I am very luckily able to subsidise my travel writing with the ludicrously remunerative thrillers. So I can afford to take the salary hit. Many others have just given up.

My entire profession is dying out. I can hear the scornful laughter from Scotland and Yorkshire down here in Camden. But be warned, all you pb white collar workers, who laugh at journalists going bankrupt: you are ALL next.
    I'd happily take the Rome commission if you could subcontract it out, although I'm not sure I could pull off the Eurosceptic lothario disguise.
    Bankers will be fine. I think. Hopefully long enough for me to make enough money not to care if the industry is automated.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Quick update from Trump-land: according to my friends in the oil industry, Mr Tillerson is not enjoying S-o-S very much. Rex hasn't had a boss for a long time, so this may simply be adjustment time. But the story I'm hearing is that he was offered a "free hand" by Trump, but is instead being micromanaged. Not a happy bunny, apparently.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

Or

A rum do.

Bankers will be fine. I think. Hopefully long enough for me to make enough money not to care if the industry is automated.
    What's the weather like in Zurich Max?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Or

The Loire is a fantastic destination. Really worthwhile (and good food and wine). If you do go, on no account miss this - one of the true wonders of the world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse_Tapestry

Of course, Rome is also wonderful. But, if you haven't been to the Loire, the decision makes itself.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,897
    edited February 2017
    I see Lansley reforms are being scrapped in favour of BJO suggestions.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    SeanT said:

Toms said:

This has been my experience too. I used to love going to France for many reasons, including its bread. Now, even the bread is meh... Still some great cheeses, thankfully.

On wines, I fear the world has caught up and overtaken France except at the very high end (for me, that mean Burgundies red and white, rather than Bordeaux).
  • Options
    We all ready for the donalds big speech? I shall be watching from chez Urquhart bomb shelter.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Toms said:

This has been my experience too. I used to love going to France for many reasons, including its bread. Now, even the bread is meh... Still some great cheeses, thankfully.

On wines, I fear the world has caught up and overtaken France except at the very high end (for me, that mean Burgundies red and white, rather than Bordeaux).
    Good white Burgundy remains one of the seven wonders of the world. There is still no white chardonnay that compares to a good Puligny Montrachet.

Red Burgundy? Pffft. Overpriced crap. If I have to drink a Pinot, then there are much better US ones.

High end red Bordeaux can be very good, but is simply not cost competitive.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,897
    CCG'S to go. Purchaser Provider split is going.
    BBC - Hugh Pym article today
  • Options
    MTimT said:

I think you're out of date there. French winemakers have really upped their game in the last few years. In my opinion, the most dynamic wine-producing region in the world today is southern France, especially Languedoc-Roussillon - and the prices are very keen, in sharp contrast to the good wines of Italy, Spain or elsewhere.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

Or

A rum do.

For GBP 400 and all expenses paid, I'd happily do it. My consulting life leaves many empty days and, for the most part, flexibility as to which days I do work.

Not sure I could match either your imagination or style, but at least it would be well-written.

Coincidentally, my research into how to motivate people in safety has, through a very circuitous route, brought me to reading Robert McKee. Maybe my storytelling will improve. ;)
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Or

"But I've never been to the Loire valley" I think you've just answered your own question.
    Yes, I think that is the answer. Rome would probably be, intrinsically, the greater experience, the food will be spectac, I'd get special views of incredible art, they'll probably get me to sign a gold-hinged Latin translation of THE GENESIS SECRET for an embarrassingly grovelling Pope but... I've never been to the Loire.

My motto in life hitherto has always been: go to the new place, see the new girl, make the new friend, try writing the new genre in fiction, and it has served me well.

The Loire it is. Those chateaux better put out.

Thankyou PB for all the advice.
    Chenonceaux is the glamour shot of course, but Azay le Rideau is a little gem.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Toms said:

Good white Burgundy remains one of the seven wonders of the world. There is still no white chardonnay that compares to a good Puligny Montrachet.

Red Burgundy? Pffft. Overpriced crap. If I have to drink a Pinot, then there are much better US ones.

Thing is claret has such a simple classification system it makes it cost and effort effective vs trying to find a great new discovery or gem from anywhere else.
  • Options

We all ready for the donalds big speech? I shall be watching from chez Urquhart bomb shelter.

It will be interesting to see what happens with:

(a) The Border Tax Adjustment, which apparently is causing open warfare in the West Wing between the Treasury and State Departments and Mr Bannon.

(b) The abolition of the tax deductibility of interest, which I heartily agree with, but which will not be popular with some large Republican donors.

(c) Whether the pass through tax changes are... err... passed. (These benefit property developers by allowing you to have unprofitable development projects reduce your tax bill on profitable finished projects, while simultaneously shielding you from negative economic consequences if you have to let a project go to the wall.)
  • Options

MTimT said:

I think you're out of date there. French winemakers have really upped their game in the last few years. In my opinion, the most dynamic wine-producing region in the world today is southern France, especially Languedoc-Roussillon - and the prices are very keen, in sharp contrast to the good wines of Italy, Spain or elsewhere.
    I have an excellent bottle of St Joseph that I plan on opening on Friday night.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Toms said:

Thing is claret has such a simple classification system it makes it cost and effort effective vs trying to find a great new discovery or gem from anywhere else.
    Have you considered doing research on the Internet?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

I have an excellent bottle of St Joseph that I plan on opening on Friday night.
    Why wait till Friday?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    edited February 2017
    isam said:

Scott_P said:
    !

Reckless was backing Carswell on World at One today. If that continues Banksy's appreciation of him may have its limits.
  • Options
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Toms said:

Life is both too short to stuff a mushroom and also to work out an alternative to a solid fourth or fifth growth or a decent cru bourgeois.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

isam said:

Scott_P said:
    !

Reckless was backing Carswell on World at One today. If that continues Banksy's appreciation of him may have its limits.
    Arron Banks is Banksy?!?! Wowzers what a scoop for PB
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Toms said:

Life is both too short to stuff a mushroom and also to work out an alternative to a solid fourth or fifth growth or a decent cru bourgeois.
    Apparently some people have actually given NUMERICAL scores to wines.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:
    !

Everyone knows this.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,996
    surbiton said:
    Theresa delaying my payout on the 5-6 with Hills.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Toms said:

Apparently some people have actually given NUMERICAL scores to wines.
    So they have but it's too much of a faff. I'll look at RP and some of the others when working out what to buy en primeur. From Bordeaux.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,786
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Or

Yes, I think that is the answer. Rome would probably be, intrinsically, the greater experience, the food will be spectac, I'd get special views of incredible art, they'll probably get me to sign a gold-hinged Latin translation of THE GENESIS SECRET for an embarrassingly grovelling Pope but... I've never been to the Loire.

My motto in life hitherto has always been: go to the new place, see the new girl, make the new friend, try writing the new genre in fiction, and it has served me well.

The Loire it is. Those chateaux better put out.

Thankyou PB for all the advice.
    The way to do the Loire Valley is by bike. It's flat and not especially beautiful but the sights are a convenient bike's ride distance from each other. It's worth boning up on your French history. You will get more out of your visit. If it didn't happen in Paris, it happened somewhere on the Loire.

I agree restaurant food in France is in relative decline, but starting from a higher base there are still good places to be found. One such is the Hotel de la Croix Blanche at Fontevraud, which some
    years ago served the best roast chicken I have ever tasted
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    edited February 2017
    isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:
    !

What better cover for a subversive, radical guerilla artist with more money than he knows what to do with than a mouthy, right wing yahoo with more money than he knows what to do with.
This discussion has been closed.