Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betfair moves sharply back to Macron for French President foll

Comments

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,042
    Jonathan said:

DM_Andy said:

If anyone is a kipper or has a copy of the UKIP rulebook, can Carswell just be expelled from the party? In normal political parties a member has to do something wrong to be subject to disciplinary proceedings.

In UKIP, if you do something right (or moral) you are immediately out.
    +1
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

FPT

Where do you put "Guards, Guards"?

Pretty near the top of the tree, if not at the pinnacle. Pratchett was still at his creative best in those works, before he became formulaic. He was inventing a new world and could get in some biting social satire whilst keeping the comedy flowing.
    Jingo
    Lords and Ladies
    Interesting Times

But of all Pratchett's work, Good Omens remains my favourite (OK, I know Neil Gaiman co-wrote it).
    For me, it would have to Thief of Time or Mort, although in the current climate I may re-read "Jingo" or "The Truth" :D

Small Gods was a complete thumbs-down second to only Unseen Academicals which was Pratchett's nadir IMO
    Thief of Time is very good, and I enjoyed The Truth. Could never quite get on with Mort.

As for Unseen Academicals, Snuff, I Shall Wear Midnight, Raising Steam and The Shepherd's Crown, I don't count them as Pratchetts because I'm 99% sure they were actually written by his secretary - the rather incompetent shoehorning in of favourite characters whose story arcs had come to a natural end long ago with which those novels abounded is all too typical of ghost writing and/or fan fiction.
    I put the change in tone in those down to his Alzheimers.

Hogfather was another excellent one. I have avoided the movie because I would rather have the book unpolluted by the input of what can only be a second-rate, pale imitation onscreen.
  • Options

Mrs C, you're being deliberately naughty. If this behaviour continues there shall be no roast parsnips for you, young lady!

Thank Heaven - because they are not my favourite, buttered or otherwise.

Now, carrots roasted in olive oil and basil and lightly glazed with drizzled honey just before serving... streets ahead of roasting strips of white hardwood parsnips.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,363
    ydoethur said:

I am now +£100 Macron, 0 the field thanks to a tip presumably here back in November. Any value in taking some profit?

I was about £800 in the Green on Macron, but have taken advantage of the shifting odds to go Green on Fillon. I am now sitting comfortably all green, but whoever comes up against LePen will win hands down.
    I would normally agree but I'm still spooked by the fact we both thought that about Clinton. Yes, under the French system she would have won and yes, she was a weaker candidate than Macron (I know you will disagree with me on that, but she really was) yet even allowing for that, the way things have gone so far there seems a non-trivial risk of the rival to Le Pen being sunk by some ghastly scandal just befor the run-off, handing her the election more or less faute de mieux.
    Don't think so - the habit of voting for ANYONE against the FN is too strong. The scenario you describe would be reminiscent of the Louisiana election where a suspected crook was up against a KKK leader. People went around with bumper stickers "Vote for the crook, it's important" and he won comfortably.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Duke [the 1991 Guubernatorial election]
  • Options

Such a stupid thing to defeat the government over. Parliament should be concerned with the rights of British citizens not just EU citizens. The government have already made clear they wish to respect the rights of EU citizens and it is simply conditional on a reciprocal agreement from Europe that they'll respect our citizens rights.

So what do the Lords hope to achieve here? If our citizens rights are respected then an agreement can be made quickly. If they're not then should Parliament encourage that?

I cannot begin to imagine how any sentient being could conceivably think it's a good idea for one side to guarantee the rights of the other side's citizens unconditionally. Even if our EU friends decide to chuck out British citizens? Even if there's no deal at all? What about healthcare costs? What about welfare payments?

What on earth are these peers smoking?
    Guaranteeing the rights of EU citizens living and working in Britain is in Britain's interests, and sod what anyone else, including British ex-pats, thinks about it.
    A guarantee for anyone who has a job above a certain modest income (perhaps the same as the income spousal income threshold) unilaterally would be reasonable. It would give status to our EU Docs and Nurses, while not establishing rights for Big Issue sellers. Britain would only gain.
    :+1:
  • Options
    Mrs C, roast carrots are also splendid (and rather easier to get right) but roast parsnips are clearly superior.
  • Options

The French voting for Macron is them voting for more of the same. So disappointing. Ditto for the Germans voting for Merkel. Do these countries not see the economic, social, European, migration, etc crises?

Merkel may yet lose to Schulz, who is even more pro-European and more pro-refugee. :)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

What is the breakdown of the house of lords. May surely cannot win on Tory votes alone?

She merely has to repeal the HoL Act to allow the hereditaries back in :smiley:
    Genuine question, how many hereditary peers are there currently in the Commons? I know of at least one. Not that May would need to fear by-elections of course...
    92 at present (not counting those that also hold life peerages)

Edit: I'm an idiot.

I think there is only one... Viscount Thurso.
    You may not have noticed but the SNP did rather well at the last general election. Regrettably the Highlands were cleared of nobility.
    How could I forget? JackW is still in mourning.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Such a stupid thing to defeat the government over. Parliament should be concerned with the rights of British citizens not just EU citizens. The government have already made clear they wish to respect the rights of EU citizens and it is simply conditional on a reciprocal agreement from Europe that they'll respect our citizens rights.

So what do the Lords hope to achieve here? If our citizens rights are respected then an agreement can be made quickly. If they're not then should Parliament encourage that?

I cannot begin to imagine how any sentient being could conceivably think it's a good idea for one side to guarantee the rights of the other side's citizens unconditionally. Even if our EU friends decide to chuck out British citizens? Even if there's no deal at all? What about healthcare costs? What about welfare payments?

To be fair Parliament could change its mind later on, and repeal those provisions of the Act.
    You think the HoL are merely indulging in a spot of Villager Gin Units (anagram to circumvent possible ban)?
    That is an epic anagram.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,344

ydoethur said:

I am now +£100 Macron, 0 the field thanks to a tip presumably here back in November. Any value in taking some profit?

I was about £800 in the Green on Macron, but have taken advantage of the shifting odds to go Green on Fillon. I am now sitting comfortably all green, but whoever comes up against LePen will win hands down.
    I would normally agree but I'm still spooked by the fact we both thought that about Clinton. Yes, under the French system she would have won and yes, she was a weaker candidate than Macron (I know you will disagree with me on that, but she really was) yet even allowing for that, the way things have gone so far there seems a non-trivial risk of the rival to Le Pen being sunk by some ghastly scandal just befor the run-off, handing her the election more or less faute de mieux.
    Don't think so - the habit of voting for ANYONE against the FN is too strong. The scenario you describe would be reminiscent of the Louisiana election where a suspected crook was up against a KKK leader. People went around with bumper stickers "Vote for the crook, it's important" and he won comfortably.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Duke [the 1991 Guubernatorial election]
    They did that with Chirac against JM Le Pen as well, didn't they? 'Vote for the crook not the Fascist.'

I am just concerned that she is superficially less toxic than her father and up against a slate of deeply flawed candidates.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

To be fair Parliament could change its mind later on, and repeal those provisions of the Act.
    You think the HoL are merely indulging in a spot of Villager Gin Units (anagram to circumvent possible ban)?
    That is an epic anagram.
    Genial Virgin Lust also available.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

That is an epic anagram.
    You had me really puzzled with those two. A virtuous person would have signalled its meaning!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

That is an epic anagram.
    You had me really puzzled with those two. A virtuous person would have signalled its meaning!
    And I just referred to a useful two-word phrase. Villagers uniting.
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

That is an epic anagram.
    The superior choice, Ishmael.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,696
    So just after we have an announcement that trains are moving, and we should be on our way soon, over the PA comes:

"Attention train crew - passenger emergency alarm operated"

FFS!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

I'm drawing a blank on the anagram, any hints?

EDIT: Nevermind got it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,932

ydoethur said:

FPT

Pretty near the top of the tree, if not at the pinnacle. Pratchett was still at his creative best in those works, before he became formulaic. He was inventing a new world and could get in some biting social satire whilst keeping the comedy flowing.
    Jingo
    Lords and Ladies
    Interesting Times

But of all Pratchett's work, Good Omens remains my favourite (OK, I know Neil Gaiman co-wrote it).
    For me, it would have to Thief of Time or Mort, although in the current climate I may re-read "Jingo" or "The Truth" :D

Small Gods was a complete thumbs-down second to only Unseen Academicals which was Pratchett's nadir IMO
    I've only read Making Money, which was very good (any solicitor would enjoy the Lavish family).
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

I'm drawing a blank on the anagram, any hints?
    see ydoethur's post at 7.47
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,566
    Sandpit said:

Guaranteeing the rights of EU citizens living and working in Britain is in Britain's interests, and sod what anyone else, including British ex-pats, thinks about it.
    A guarantee for anyone who has a job above a certain modest income (perhaps the same as the income spousal income threshold) unilaterally would be reasonable. It would give status to our EU Docs and Nurses, while not establishing rights for Big Issue sellers. Britain would only gain.
    That sounds reasonable, although I can see Mrs May's point about wanting assurances about Brits living in the EU simultaneously. We should allow pretty much unlimited immigration of medical professionals, and bend over backwards to stop them leaving.
    The problem is that the pro-Europeans are coming across as obsessed with the rights of EU citizens here and to hell with UK citizens. This is precisely the "optics" that led to Brexit.

I have not (apart from myself) heard a single word of condemnation for the Spanish from Remainers - one of the countries who specifically ruled out the reciprocal deal.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @bbcnickrobinson: Tale of 2 speeches: Boris tells business that Brexit deal in EU's interest as Davis tells Cabinet to prepare for possibility of no deal

it's almost like they haven't a clue...
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

ydoethur said:

FPT

Jingo
    Lords and Ladies
    Interesting Times

I have the Shepherds Crown at last, still unwilling to read it.
  • Options

So just after we have an announcement that trains are moving, and we should be on our way soon, over the PA comes:

FFS!

That sounds really frustrating. Hope it gets properly underway soon.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@bbcnickrobinson: Tale of 2 speeches: Boris tells business that Brexit deal in EU's interest as Davis tells Cabinet to prepare for possibility of no deal

It's almost like the negotiations haven't started let alone finished.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst is the strategy of anyone sane.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Sandpit said:

That sounds reasonable, although I can see Mrs May's point about wanting assurances about Brits living in the EU simultaneously. We should allow pretty much unlimited immigration of medical professionals, and bend over backwards to stop them leaving.
    The problem is that the pro-Europeans are coming across as obsessed with the rights of EU citizens here and to hell with UK citizens. This is precisely the "optics" that led to Brexit.

I have not (apart from myself) heard a single word of condemnation for the Spanish from Remainers - one of the countries who specifically ruled out the reciprocal deal.
    Agree completely with the first point, it looks terrible. It's also of note that those saying it are generally not accountable to a British electorate.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I am glad that our side of the negotiation has such consummate professionals looking after the UK's interests.

:D
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Even as someone getting ever "softer" on Brexit, I agree with this. May has the right stance on EU migrants IMO: make clear that she wants those settled here already to stay, but on the condition that British expats on the Continent get the same treatment.

The Lords would be better off focussing on getting a clause which locks the government in to needing parliamentary approval for any Brexit "deal", preferably with the condition that Britain's exit won't take effect unless and until a deal's been approved, even if that means suspending or temporarily revoking Article 50.

Yes, I agree. The Lords risk making their stand on an issue that is almost certain to be resolved reasonably, at the expense of the big picture.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

It is a bit like reading the Final Unfinished Voyage of Jack Aubrey or listening to Mozart's Requiem. At least Pratchett did not expire in mid-novel...

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,895
    Scott_P said:

The two positions aren't mutually exclusive.... A deal IS in both the UK and EU's interests... But you can never rule the the chance of the EU behaving irrationally during the negotiation.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    SeanT said:

Some pretty intense, disturbing satire, in a mainstream Swedish website, of their "rape problem".

http://www.na.se/opinion/ledare/opinion-welcome-to-sweden-the-rape-capital-of-the-world

Trump is right.

Have you read that book yet???!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

The two positions aren't mutually exclusive.... A deal IS in both the UK and EU's interests... But you can never rule the the chance of the EU behaving irrationally during the negotiation.
    Or indeed the British side.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,131

Sandpit said:

It was naive of May to offer the reciprocal deal in the first place as regardless of her intentions, it was an attempt to compartmentalise a much broader negotiation and draw a line in the sand prematurely.

If the UK intends to end free movement, what does it propose to give up in return for taking away this plank of the single market?

If the press briefings are correct it seems that May is going to repeat the same mistake the moment she triggers Article 50 by suggesting that EU citizens who move here after that date will not have any right to settle, in contravention of the EEA treaty.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-europe-migrants-iom-libya-idUKKBN1672C9?il=0

Taken in conjunction with the Turkey deal, repatriation seems to be a central plank of EU policy with migrants. It's another area where the reality of the EU is very detached from the remain rhetoric.
  • Options
    Damn it. Now I'm trying to remember a book I read which wasn't finished and I can't recall it.

Not the Aeneid or Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

FFS!

Otherwise Sandy might recreate Traingate 2 as well - https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2970445/jeremy-corbyn-snapped-snoozing-in-public-just-hours-after-disastrous-copeland-defeat/
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Or indeed the British side.
    I don't think Mrs May could ever be accused of being "irrational" LOL!
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

I totally agree, comments about the rights of EU citizens in the UK must have outnumbered comments about the rights of British expats by 10:1. It's not even the number of comments, when British expats are mentioned they are invariably stereotyped as pensioners living in Spain or something similar. It is a part of the Remainer thinking that European = Good, and British = Bad.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I've only read Making Money, which was very good (any solicitor would enjoy the Lavish family).

Keep an eye out for Pratchett's favourite solicitor - Mr Slant - who makes a number of appearances. Try "The Truth" based on Fleet Street. Journalism skirting the edges of the law...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

FFS!

Otherwise Sandy might recreate Traingate 2 as well - https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2970445/jeremy-corbyn-snapped-snoozing-in-public-just-hours-after-disastrous-copeland-defeat/
    If I were this delayed, the rage and frustration I would be feeling would preclude sleep. But maybe Sandy is a milder character than I am.
  • Options
    We are now moving! However the annoying announcement is being repeated approx. every 30 seconds...

Annoyingly, the 17:49 Leeds, which I could have caught if the 18:03 had been cancelled earlier, was diverted to avoid the problem and has now reached Grantham...

Just stopped again.
  • Options

HaroldO said:

It is a bit like reading the Final Unfinished Voyage of Jack Aubrey or listening to Mozart's Requiem. At least Pratchett did not expire in mid-novel...

I've been reading his books for over 20 years now, didn't realise that until I got the last one for my birthday.

Well I think he did, just that the novel won't be published. He was always two books ahead, even near the end from what his assistant said.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    For the techies amongst us, S3 is currently down. Amazon status page was showing everything ok as the Amazon status page is served from S3 and was thus showing a cached version as S3 is down.
  • Options
    Things to do.....

bye!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,989
    edited February 2017

As ever the good Doctor has a very reasonable suggestion.

Fundamentally our benefits/health/care system ought to be reformed, it seems predicated on the basis of zero immigration (You're born here so entitled to x, y and z - but others coming here also get x, y & z) - it isn't fit for purpose in a nation of immigration & emigration.
  • Options

It was naive of May to offer the reciprocal deal in the first place as regardless of her intentions, it was an attempt to compartmentalise a much broader negotiation and draw a line in the sand prematurely.

If the UK intends to end free movement, what does it propose to give up in return for taking away this plank of the single market?

If the press briefings are correct it seems that May is going to repeat the same mistake the moment she triggers Article 50 by suggesting that EU citizens who move here after that date will not have any right to settle, in contravention of the EEA treaty.

Not at all. For all that personally I favour complete freedom of movement both in and out of the EU, if one decides against that then May's decision is absolutely correct. It does not penalise anyone who moved here prior to the leaving process starting but sets a deadline beyond which anyone moving here knows they will have no right to remain after Brexit. It quite rightly puts EU citizens in the same position as those from anywhere else in the world after Brexit.

As I say I would prefer no barriers whether one comes from Italy or Indonesia but since mine is a very minority view, at least we need consistency when dealing with non British migrants.
  • Options
    Pratchett's best is Feet of Clay, even if it does have an unnecessarily large plot hole you could drive a truck through. It is the peak of his humanist phase.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited February 2017
    glw said:

I totally agree, comments about the rights of EU citizens in the UK must have outnumbered comments about the rights of British expats by 10:1. It's not even the number of comments, when British expats are mentioned they are invariably stereotyped as pensioners living in Spain or something similar. It is a part of the Remainer thinking that European = Good, and British = Bad.
    It does seem to be quite common to describe anything done by Britain as 'not enough' while other countries are cited as pillars of virtue.

We are one of the few countries in the world that meets it's aid promise; one of the few that meets it's international security and peace commitments; one of the few substantial contributors to the EU; one of the most charitable populations in the world - yet, apparently, we don't do enough. Others seem to escape scrutiny.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

As ever the good Doctor has a very reasonable suggestion.

Fundamentally our benefits/health/care system ought to be reformed, it seems predicated on the basis of zero immigration (You're born here so entitled to x, y and z - but others coming here also get x, y & z) - it isn't fit for purpose in a nation of immigration & emigration.
    I have suggested this countless times!!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

For the techies amongst us, S3 is currently down. Amazon status page was showing everything ok as the Amazon status page is served from S3 and was thus showing a cached version as S3 is down.

@TechnoGuido: Amazon S3 down. People discovering there is no such thing as "the cloud". There are only other people's computers.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/836579723782258689

Only just saw this, so apologies if it's already been brought to everyone's attention, but I found it rather interesting.

Macron has no party and is apparently pretty light on policy, too. Perhaps has support is soft enough to start melting away again between now and the first round vote?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

That is kind of like writing on a biscuit, in green ink, "do not eat this biscuit because green ink is poisonous".
  • Options

Only just saw this, so apologies if it's already been brought to everyone's attention, but I found it rather interesting.

Macron has no party and is apparently pretty light on policy, too. Perhaps has support is soft enough to start melting away again between now and the first round vote?

I've not yet taken a view between Macron and Fillon. I expect both of them will make it to the start line and it'll be one of them. Which one I'm still not sure ! Macron has the big mo - but it could be a bit Nick Clegg 2010.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Sandpit said:

Your last paragraph - the press briefings are incorrect.

• Options
    Regarding unfinished novels, couldn't the published just add "And then I woke up" and get it into print?

We have a copy of Sanditon at home. So far, I have only read the bit that wasn't written.

I'll stop the travel updates (must be getting somewhat annoying) with the positive news that we are now moving at speed, and the announcements have stopped. All I need now is news that Jezza has stepped down and my mood will be fully uplifted!
  • Options
    chestnut said:

We are one of the few countries in the world that meets it's aid promise; one of the few that meets it's international security and peace commitments; one of the few substantial contributors to the EU; one of the most charitable populations in the world - yet, apparently, we don't do enough. Others seem to escape scrutiny.

You wouldn't know that though from listening to some Remainers. That Chatham House survey about Muslim immigration was an eyeopener too.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Alistair said:

That is kind of like writing on a biscuit, in green ink, "do not eat this biscuit because green ink is poisonous".
    More like having a neon sign that when lit says "All neon signs are broken"
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Alistair said:

More like having a neon sign that when lit says "All neon signs are broken"
    Emergency exit lights running on your regular mains circuit breaker.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    perdix said:

Sandpit said:

Your last paragraph - the press briefings are incorrect.

Won't it be retroactive after we leave the EU, so in violation of no treaty?
  • Options
    Farage 5/2 next UKIP leader w Lads.. wasn't he tipped at 20/1? Or was that to be leader by end of year?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I've not yet taken a view between Macron and Fillon. I expect both of them will make it to the start line and it'll be one of them. Which one I'm still not sure ! Macron has the big mo - but it could be a bit Nick Clegg 2010.
    Sure MEP's voting to remove Marine Le Pen's immunity from prosecution over photos of ISIS brutality she published is going to work in the opposite way these MEP's think and just add to her popularity
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Those ' expats ' are UK citizens and as such deserve to be supported by their duly elected government. I think that post officially confirms you as a total numbnut!
  • Options

Damn it. Now I'm trying to remember a book I read which wasn't finished and I can't recall it.

Mystery of Edwin Drood?
  • Options
    isam said:

Farage 5/2 next UKIP leader w Lads.. wasn't he tipped at 20/1? Or was that to be leader by end of year?

I'm pretty certain he opened 7/1 or 8/1 immediately after Nuttall was elected
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Yep, about 2 hours into it so far, their dashboard says it's up because the dashboard itself uses the service that's down! They've had to put a note on the top of their status page about the errors.
    https://status.aws.amazon.com
    I've a couple of customers using AWS, but it should be redundant enough to cope as they have their sites in multiple locations, and it's after midnight here. Hoping it's back up soon and doesn't spread.
  • Options
    isam said:

Does he even want the job back again ?

He's achieved his life's ambition ! Best of luck to anyone playing the next UKIP leader market, remember the important thing is to keep your head above water (Like the turtle in my picture) ;) ). Not sure 5-2 does that to be honest
  • Options
    felix said:

Those ' expats ' are UK citizens and as such deserve to be supported by their duly elected government. I think that post officially confirms you as a total numbnut!
    It was slightly tongue in cheek, but my point was that the UK government's responsibility to manage the UK economy for the benefit of the UK trumps its responsibility to act as the lawyer of last resort for UK citizens abroad.
  • Options

Mystery of Edwin Drood?
    The Salmon of Doubt?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Yep, about 2 hours into it so far, their dashboard says it's up because the dashboard itself uses the service that's down! They've had to put a note on the top of their status page about the errors.
    I've a couple of customers using AWS, but it should be redundant enough to cope as they have their sites in multiple locations, and it's after midnight here. Hoping it's back up soon and doesn't spread.
    I saw about this on Twitter. I wonder whether they have suffered a cyber attack?
  • Options

Emergency exit lights running on your regular mains circuit breaker.

I may have told this story before.

I had a job that involved dismantling some temporary staging after the Edinburgh Festival. A cable had been run through the supports to an emergency light and prevented us from removing them.

The light was off, so we cut the cable...
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,314
    edited February 2017
    See below - amendment list for Lords tomorrow.

First amendment for debate is re EU citizens in the UK - must make a Government defeat almost certain - as Lab will have a decent number present at that point.

With Con rebels and Crossbenchers surely breaking for the opposition it's very hard to see any way that the Government can win that vote.

However the vote on Parliamentary approval looks like it'll be quite a bit later - it's on page 4 - so Government will have a better chance on that one.

https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2016-2017/0103/17103-II.pdf

• Options

Scott_P said:

I am glad that our side of the negotiation has such consummate professionals looking after the UK's interests.

Since you seem happy to forget the rights of UK citizens living abroad - who pay UK taxes and vote in UK elections you are hardly in any position to talk about morality let alone professionalism.
  • Options
    Mr. Tyndall, never even heard of that. I think it was a history. I remember being surprised it was unfinished (think the author died).

.... Now it's bugging me.
  • Options
    felix said:

Scott_P said:

Since you seem happy to forget the rights of UK citizens living abroad - who pay UK taxes and vote in UK elections you are hardly in any position to talk about morality let alone professionalism.
    I voted to maintain those rights. Did you?
  • Options

felix said:

It was slightly tongue in cheek, but my point was that the UK government's responsibility to manage the UK economy for the benefit of the UK trumps its responsibility to act as the lawyer of last resort for UK citizens abroad.

Then you are wrong.
  • Options

felix said:

Scott_P said:

Yes - but unlike you I respect the result.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

I saw about this on Twitter. I wonder whether they have suffered a cyber attack?
    It's more likely to be an internal issue, server upgrade gone wrong or routing/switching error. S3 is a bloody big cluster to take down with a DDOS attack, it has hundreds of gigabits of bandwidth, is used by loads of high volume websites (think BBC news or CNN scale) to host all their images and videos, generally serving the east coast of the US.

We'll see soon enough though, there will be loads of SLAs blown and high profile customers wanting to know what happened.
  • Options
    felix said:

Organise repatriation flights and give them a lifetime's free subscription to the Daily Mail. That'll keep them sweet.

They'll all be able to get jobs back here teaching French or Spanish.... or maybe just shouting in English.

(N.B. This post is in no way an attack on those PBers living outside of the UK.)
  • Options
    MikeL said:

First amendment for debate is re EU citizens in the UK - must make a Government defeat almost certain - as Lab will have a decent number present at that point.

With Con rebels and Crossbenchers surely breaking for the opposition it's very hard to see any way that the Government can win that vote.

However the vote on Parliamentary approval looks like it'll be quite a bit later - it's on page 4 - so Government will have a better chance on that one.

https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2016-2017/0103/17103-II.pdf

If the Gov't loses in the Lords then what

Bill goes back to the commons, the Tories vote down the amendments and then it heads back to the Lords - I've heard at that stage the Labour position is to allow the bill unimpeded ?
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

Yes - but unlike you I respect the result.
    Ouch!
  • Options
    Two days to go till the Northern Ireland Assembly Elections.

I'm on all of Lucian's tips for as much as Paddy allowed. Hopefully they are good'uns :)
  • Options

felix said:

Organise repatriation flights and give them a lifetime's free subscription to the Daily Mail. That'll keep them sweet.

They'll all be able to get jobs back here teaching French or Spanish.... or maybe just shouting in English.

(N.B. This post is in no way an attack on those PBers living outside of the UK.)
    Speaking as A UK immigrant living in Spain - while both voting in UK elections and paying both UK and Spanish taxes you'll forgive me for being unamused by your crassness.
  • Options
    Anyway, I imagine I'll remember the damned book at some obscure hour of the night and then forget it again in the morning. Off now, but there's a programme on at 9pm on BBC2 about 1066 which might be of interest.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

It's more likely to be an internal issue, server upgrade gone wrong or routing/switching error. S3 is a bloody big cluster to take down with a DDOS attack, it has hundreds of gigabits of bandwidth, is used by loads of high volume websites (think BBC news or CNN scale) to host all their images and videos, generally serving the east coast of the US.

We'll see soon enough though, there will be loads of SLAs blown and high profile customers wanting to know what happened.
    Will be interesting to find out...
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

Speaking as A UK immigrant living in Spain - while both voting in UK elections and paying both UK and Spanish taxes you'll forgive me for being unamused by your crassness.
    You shouldn't be double paying taxes ! I assume you mean UK income tax and spanish property taxes though..
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    felix said:

felix said:

You're an EU citizen living in the EU. Jean-Claude Juncker has your back. ;)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895

Pulpstar said:

Sure MEP's voting to remove Marine Le Pen's immunity from prosecution over photos of ISIS brutality she published is going to work in the opposite way these MEP's think and just add to her popularity
    More homespun rural philosophy or you have some evidence?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/836639871292821504

Actually if things do improve from the Copeland in terms of BE results, they'll still probably lose...
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

I now hold you in huge respect for describing yourself as an immigrant rather than an ex-pat.

I do hope everything is sorted out smoothly for people in your situation. It has to be in everyone's interest, so let's just get that agreed on the first day of negotiation post A50 triggering.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited February 2017
    Pulpstar said:

felix said:

felix said:

You shouldn't be double paying taxes ! I assume you mean UK income tax and spanish property taxes though..
    Under our tax treaty there are circumstances where you can be double taxed. Or more precisely "top up taxed".
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    felix said:

I read it as meaning the two issues are not linked rather than that one was important and the other wasn't.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    edited February 2017
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Bill goes back to the commons, the Tories vote down the amendments and then it heads back to the Lords - I've heard at that stage the Labour position is to allow the bill unimpeded ?
    All the while Tory vote share ticks up and up as all true democrats support the only party that are defending democracy.....

If the Bill goes back to the commons I expect Tory vote share to hit 50%

For all OGH thinks no-one cares about Europe, standing up for Britain against EU sillyness (within or without our shores) always polls well.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,567
    edited February 2017
    Siôn Simon is back writing articles.

'Shortly there will be an election, in which Labour will increase its majority'

In under ten weeks, Labour can be back in government in the West Midlands, in Greater Manchester and in Merseyside. With directly-elected mayors in these areas and other parts of England, we can join Labour leaders in London and Bristol in taking back control of our own regions from the Tories in central government. And it’s about time isn’t it?

http://labourlist.org/2017/02/sion-simon-mayors-can-take-a-stand-against-tycoons-dodging-the-living-wage/
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

felix said:

felix said:

Yes - plus Spanish Income tax on my savings in Spain and income tax to the UK for my teachers' Pension.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Two days to go till the Northern Ireland Assembly Elections.

I'm on all of Lucian's tips for as much as Paddy allowed. Hopefully they are good'uns :)

Any chance of a recap or pointer to the thread? Think I missed it...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,932
    chestnut said:

glw said:

It does seem to be quite common to describe anything done by Britain as 'not enough' while other countries are cited as pillars of virtue.

Carlotta Vance but it well. We're more liberal than most, but somehow always the bad guy.
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

You're an EU citizen living in the EU. Jean-Claude Juncker has your back. ;)
    I am a UK citizen and it is the responsibility of the UK government to have 'my back'. Your crassness simply shows you up and you'd be wise to stop embarrassing yourself further.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

All the while Tory vote share ticks up and up as all true democrats support the only party that are defending democracy.....

If the Bill goes back to the commons I expect Tory vote share to hit 50%

For all OGH thinks no-one cares about Europe, standing up for Britain against EU sillyness (within or without our shores) always polls well.
    If the bill goes back to the Commons I expect Tory vote share to be within margin of error of what it was beforehand. The general public doesn't care about Parliamentary Ping Pong.

If the bill fails to be passed by the Lords repeatedly after the Commons keeps sending it back to them and an early election is forced, then and only then would vote shares be meaningfully affected.
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

I now hold you in huge respect for describing yourself as an immigrant rather than an ex-pat.

I do hope everything is sorted out smoothly for people in your situation. It has to be in everyone's interest, so let's just get that agreed on the first day of negotiation post A50 triggering.
    Agreed .. and thank you. My position is pretty secure either way but there are many who are much more vulnerable than I who are less fortunate.
  • Options

Siôn Simon is back writing articles.

'Shortly there will be an election, in which Labour will increase its majority'

In under ten weeks, Labour can be back in government in the West Midlands, in Greater Manchester and in Merseyside. With directly-elected mayors in these areas and other parts of England, we can join Labour leaders in London and Bristol in taking back control of our own regions from the Tories in central government. And it’s about time isn’t it?

http://labourlist.org/2017/02/sion-simon-mayors-can-take-a-stand-against-tycoons-dodging-the-living-wage/

Some Sions never learn.....

I'd be surprised if Andy Street doesn't beat him in West Midlands....
  • Options

felix said:

I read it as meaning the two issues are not linked rather than that one was important and the other wasn't.
    Ahem - what part of "sod what anyone else, including British ex-pats, thinks about it" do you not understand.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Roger said:

Pulpstar said:

More homespun rural philosophy or you have some evidence?
    Well it would certainly play to her narrative of standing up for a France betrayed by the elites. Who knows whether that would have an impact
This discussion has been closed.