Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Unless LAB make a disastrous candidate choice then it’s hard t

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    chestnut said:

Did this get covered on here?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ireland-can-benefit-from-brexit-says-australian-foreign-minister-1.2988051

Ireland is set to benefit from Australian companies seeking access to the EU after Brexit, Australia’s foreign minister has said.

“Many Australian firms have accessed the EU via Britain. With the uncertainty surrounding what a post-Brexit Britain will look like, I believe Australian firms will look to Ireland to fulfil that role,” she said.

“Ireland has a very attractive business environment, low corporate tax rates, [a good] lifestyle and there is the connection between Australia and Ireland.

She described Ireland as an “obvious partner” to do business within the EU. “Ireland is superbly positioned to attract that kind of engagement from Australian business. I see this as a great opportunity of how we, Australia and Ireland, can take advantage of what has occurred in Brexit.”

At least Julie took the time to smarten Boris up a bit.

oh yeah because the Irish economy is about the size of New Zealands but without the upside
    The Irish are currently contemplating the fact that 88% of their energy comes from/via the UK.
    their bigger problem imo is Trumps tax changes

if he drops CT rates and tells US multinats to pay their taxes in the US Irelands in deep doodoo
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Dixie said:

Johnny Major making a play to be the next leader of the Labour party today.The Liberal Elite have been out in force over the last week.

He could hardly make a worse mess of it than the current encumbrance incumbent and is only about three years older. Moreover he has experience of leading a government and of taking a pro-European party and turning it into a hard-right Euroscpetic fringe group. Finally, he's from a humble background and has had sex with junior colleagues promoted way beyond their capabilities.

Yes, I could see how he's a good fit as a replacement for Corbyn.
    You are awful.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    chestnut said:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ireland-can-benefit-from-brexit-says-australian-foreign-minister-1.2988051

Ireland is set to benefit from Australian companies seeking access to the EU after Brexit, Australia’s foreign minister has said.

“Many Australian firms have accessed the EU via Britain. With the uncertainty surrounding what a post-Brexit Britain will look like, I believe Australian firms will look to Ireland to fulfil that role,” she said.

“Ireland has a very attractive business environment, low corporate tax rates, [a good] lifestyle and there is the connection between Australia and Ireland.

She described Ireland as an “obvious partner” to do business within the EU. “Ireland is superbly positioned to attract that kind of engagement from Australian business. I see this as a great opportunity of how we, Australia and Ireland, can take advantage of what has occurred in Brexit.”

oh yeah because the Irish economy is about the size of New Zealands but without the upside
    The Irish are currently contemplating the fact that 88% of their energy comes from/via the UK.
    Energy is a tariff free import, I doubt there will be an issue.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

chestnut said:

if he drops CT rates and tells US multinats to pay their taxes in the US Irelands in deep doodoo
    Yes. And they have the EU on their case about their 'competitive' tax regime.

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    Guess we'll find out if Clarke's first law applies to politicians;

"When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong."
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    'Meet the Lords' on BBC2 now
  • Options

You said:

' he opened the party up to individuals from many different backgrounds and walks of life '

which suggests that before Cameron the Conservative party wasn't open to individuals from many different backgrounds and walks of life.

I'd actually say that Cameron with his 'A-lists' and 'jobs for the (posh) boys' might well have narrowed opportunities in the Conservative party.

No, it suggests that Conservative Party wasn't all that diverse prior to Cameron's leadership. Which it wasn't. There was a reason why you've had William Hague do things like go to Notting Hill Carnival when was leader. There's a reason why you've had John Major talk about appealing to ethnic minorities. Part of the modernisation process was attempting to make the Conservative Party more appealing to demographics which by and large didn't vote Conservative. The whole A List thing especially was about making the Conservative Party appear to be a more inclusive party.

So diversity means ethnic minorities.

You could also say being more appealing to working class voters is also diversity.

Or is that an inferior form of diversity - I'm not an expert on diversity top trumps.

And you know what - Cameron wasn't very successful in getting the votes of ethnic minorities. In fact, outside of affluent North London Hindus, he did very badly. So if that was the diversity Cameron was targeting he failed.

While May's targeting of working class voters appears to be going well.

And a look through Cameron's 'A-list' shows a dominance of finance-spad-metro-Oxbridge-jobs-for-the-posh-boys types.

That some of the posh boys were posh girls or non-white posh boys didn't mean is was a diverse group.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

You said:

' he opened the party up to individuals from many different backgrounds and walks of life '

which suggests that before Cameron the Conservative party wasn't open to individuals from many different backgrounds and walks of life.

I'd actually say that Cameron with his 'A-lists' and 'jobs for the (posh) boys' might well have narrowed opportunities in the Conservative party.

No, it suggests that Conservative Party wasn't all that diverse prior to Cameron's leadership. Which it wasn't. There was a reason why you've had William Hague do things like go to Notting Hill Carnival when was leader. There's a reason why you've had John Major talk about appealing to ethnic minorities. Part of the modernisation process was attempting to make the Conservative Party more appealing to demographics which by and large didn't vote Conservative. The whole A List thing especially was about making the Conservative Party appear to be a more inclusive party.

You could also say being more appealing to working class voters is also diversity.

Or is that an inferior form of diversity - I'm not an expert on diversity top trumps.

And you know what - Cameron wasn't very successful in getting the votes of ethnic minorities. In fact, outside of affluent North London Hindus, he did very badly. So if that was the diversity Cameron was targeting he failed.

And a look through Cameron's 'A-list' shows a dominance of finance-spad-metro-Oxbridge-jobs-for-the-posh-boys types.

That some of the posh boys were posh girls or non-white posh boys didn't mean is was a diverse group.
    I see, not the right kind of diversity.. :p
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Is it true that the UK, as a net EU contributor, effectively subsidises Irish membership of the European Project?

*runs and hides*
  • Options
    chestnut said:

chestnut said:

Yes. And they have the EU on their case about their 'competitive' tax regime.

that's only because juncker wants the luxemburgers to have a monopoly
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    Mcron seems to be firming up, to the point that a united left ticket might still come third and Le Pen might lose her 1st round lead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_French_presidential_election,_2017

That 3.0 price at Marathon (hat-tip PfP - I got £40 on) is now down to 2.2.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited February 2017
    On the discussion we were having earlier: the current position is that whereas a Bulgarian citizen on a low income who has lived in Bulgaria all his life is recognised as entitled to bring his Vietnamese wife to Britain and raise a family with her here, if a British citizen on a low income who has lived here all his life wishes to raise a family here with his Vietnamese wife he isn't allowed. The British government is discriminating against its own citizens. But the British citizen is allowed to raise a family here with his wife if he first moves to Bulgaria with her for a while and then they apply to move to Britain as residents of Bulgaria.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

chestnut said:

Energy is a tariff free import, I doubt there will be an issue.
    http://www.nasdaq.com/article/ireland-looks-to-lng-france-supply-line-in-post-brexit-era--minister-20170227-01186
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Rees Mogg - 'it was a craven and defeatist speech from a bitter man' - Peace reigns in the Tory movement tonight....

Good example of how TV journalism has morphed into snarky egotism. Privately, I entirely share Laura K's enjoyment, so it's not that I object to the message. But why is she tweeting her private feelings? Indeed, why does she have an official BBC Twitter account to vent on? She's a reporter - let her report neutrally what's said and let the audience snark if they want to.
    There's far too much of that from most reporters. Too much opinion from them and way too little actual fact. They have fill the airwaves with something I suppose.

Most of the time very little of any interest is actually happening. The news could be about 3 minutes long most days.
  • Options

I guess I'm someone who struggles to see how Brexit will be a disaster.

Your post is peppered with the term 'UK' so I presume its extinction would be a visible enough political disaster flowing from Brexit.
    The one thing I'm concerned about, where I accept Brexit doesn't help, is in Northern Ireland and with Scottish independence.

But, I'm far from convinced that Scotland had a stable place in a UK that was an EU member long-term anyway.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

An EU-Australia FTA would be a PR disaster for global Brexit. I wish Cecilia Malmstrom well.
  • Options

An EU-Australia FTA would be a PR disaster for global Brexit. I wish Cecilia Malmstrom well.
    Why? It isn't as if they are only allowed on free trade agreement?
  • Options
    Super picture of Boris/Julie.I think she likes him.I certainly think she is one of the more normal females on TV.Most of the others are full of their own self-importance.Perhaps not Fiona Bruce.
  • Options

chestnut said:

Is it true that the UK, as a net EU contributor, effectively subsidises Irish membership of the European Project?

*runs and hides*
    I don't know about that Sunil, but the UK made up nearly 27% of the net contribution to the EU budget at the last count.

The Germans were discussing the additional bill for themselves today, while the Swedes were saying the cost of being a member of the EU cannot go up just because Britain is leaving.
  • Options

Mcron seems to be firming up, to the point that a united left ticket might still come third and Le Pen might lose her 1st round lead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_French_presidential_election,_2017

oh FFS Nick he's a narcissistic investment banker

what person in their right mind is going to vote for the MF ?
  • Options

there isnt going to be one or didnt you get the gist of the article ?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,394

ydoethur said:

Dixie said:

Johnny Major making a play to be the next leader of the Labour party today.The Liberal Elite have been out in force over the last week.

He could hardly make a worse mess of it than the current encumbrance incumbent and is only about three years older. Moreover he has experience of leading a government and of taking a pro-European party and turning it into a hard-right Euroscpetic fringe group. Finally, he's from a humble background and has had sex with junior colleagues promoted way beyond their capabilities.

Yes, I could see how he's a good fit as a replacement for Corbyn.
    You are awful.
    My withering sarcasm aimed at not totally serious suggestions that Major is aiming for leadership of Labour not to your taste TFS?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    HYUFD said:

I've watched a few minutes of it and it hasn't improved my mood.
  • Options

Long-term, I'd fully expect such a deal as well as a UK-Australia FTA.

I don't see either as a threat to the other.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

I was making an unrelated point about Australian relations with Europe, the terms of which will not be dictated by London.
  • Options

Since the vote (notwithstanding the uncertainty) we've had long-term investments announced or confirmed in the UK by a number of technology giants, and international consultancies. Banks have confirmed they will move as few jobs as they need to, and no more, many of which were under threat from automation anyway. HSBC have said, for instance, it might go from 44,000 to 43,000 jobs and they continue to plan the relocate of their global HQ to Birmingham. A majority of firms have stated that our legal system, language, regulatory regime, global reach and access to talent are far more important to them than geopolitics, and the economy has continued to grow robustly. We've had interest expressed - or trade deals mooted - with India, China, Brazil, the US, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea.

It is true to say that Brexit is bound to increase non-tariff boundaries between ourselves and the EU - that's what it means - but I don't see this as a long-term problem. The single market was very far from complete in services and digital tech, when it was hugely in the UK's interest for it to be so, which is why it featured so highly in Cameron's renegotiation objectives, and I expect the impact of formally withdrawing from this to be rather less extreme than often mooted. And I expect free trade in goods to be maintained along with a high degree of UK-EU security cooperation.

The UK will continue to be an extremely affluent country, and one of the world's top 10 economies, well into the 2050s.

I accept others may believe leaving an economic and political union of 500 million people on our doorstep is a fatal mistake, I just don't agree: I think we are much better placed to make the most of the world's opportunities with independent economic and political flexibility outside the EU.

I think we just have different choices. Not many nations have that luxury. We do.

Things could go wrong.

But things could also go wrong within the EU.

Whether things are more likely to go wrong either inside or outside the EU is hypothetical.

But its highly likely that Britain would have greater flexibility to respond to things going wrong outside the EU than within the EU.

And I don't see any evidence that being within the EU would have brought benefits to match this. Rather the examples of the ERM and CAP show that our European 'friends' would take advantage of the EU to crap all over Britain whenever they got the opportunity.
  • Options

I was making an unrelated point about Australian relations with Europe, the terms of which will not be dictated by London.
    they wont be dictated to by London but by a bunch of farmers based in Liege

when they all die maybe you can get an agreement circa 2060
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited February 2017
    Up until the 12th Century, Islamic scholars were very active, especially in mathemetics. Indeed, the word algebra is of Arabic origin. The decline of arabic / islamic science is either blamed on Genghis Khan's stampede of destruction from the east or the rise of Sunni Islam around 1200(ish) AD

https://en.qantara.de/content/the-decline-of-islamic-scientific-thought-dont-blame-it-on-al-ghazali
    Cyclefree said:

Cookie said:

Mm - interesting. There are ultra-conservative Christian sects too, of course - the Amish and the Plymouth Brethren, for example, both also characterised by an aversion to modernity, unnecessarily strange facial hair and the uglification of their women. And also believing rather too earnestly in God, of course. But in Christian countries, these have for a long time been well outside the mainstream (though I don't suppose puritan England was much fun.). I guess if Christian countries were more dominated by the likes of the Amish things might be rather different. I wonder why this has not been the case - why it is Islamic countries rather than Christian countries who are culturally dominated by the extreme sects of their religion. As far as I dunerstand religion (which is not much) there is no reason why Islam should be the one dominated by fervent believers and Christianity by those paying lip service. But maybe there is.

I think one reason may be that Christianity has been very vigorously challenged, both by groups within it - think of the Reformation and Counter-Reformation - and by secular forces e.g. the French revolution, as well as by wars within and between states. While Christianity has to a very significant extent been at the heart of much of Western European development on very many fronts, it has never had an easy ride. There have always been challenges and challengers.

As far as I know, Islam spread with conquest and has always (?) been linked to political power. Whether the failure of secularism meant that Islam became much more entrenched or it was the presence of Islam which meant that secularism didn't gain a hold, I don't know.

Someone once commented that Christianity held within itself the seeds of the challenges to it. Maybe that doesn't apply in Islam. Again, I simply don't know.

Maybe it's also an element of luck: if, say, the more moderate branches of Islam (the Ahmadis, say) were living in Saudi Arabia and had the benefit of all that lovely oil money, it would be their version that was being taught in madrassas round the world and not the extreme versions.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

chestnut said:

*runs and hides*
    I don't know about that Sunil, but the UK made up nearly 27% of the net contribution to the EU budget at the last count.

The Germans were discussing the additional bill for themselves today, while the Swedes were saying the cost of being a member of the EU cannot go up just because Britain is leaving.
    Unless they get rid of some of the more useless and expensive features (the commission, the parliament) then it will have to.

The real irony being that if those things didn't exist, Remain would surely have won with ease if a referendum had even been called for.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

The idea of a communist child or a fascist child or a Christian child is absurd.

Absolutely.
  • Options
    On the topic, a few thoughts. I grew up in the constituency and my parents still live there (in Fallowfield).

I think Mike is absolutely right to say it is hard to see Labour losing this one. There is a very strong Pakistani / Muslim base that will provide the bedrock of their support, in areas like Rusholme and Levenshulme.

Mike is also right to think the LDs probably have little chance despite their historical strength in the wards. However, If I was Labour, I would be tempted to hold the by-election outside of term time so there is no risk of a Green or even LD surge on the back of the Brexit vote.

Finally, I think - from a betting perspective - the value bet may lie in something like the Conservative vote getting above 10% (if there is such a bet). The west part of Fallowfield (i.e. away from the Owens Park campus) is still quite WWC as is most of Gorton. If the Conservatives are picking up support amongst WWCs disgusted with Labour (and I know a few of my parents' neighbours think that way), it should help the Conservatives. Whalley Range in the past was also a Conservative ward (although a long time ago but there are still some pockets there).
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    edited February 2017
    HOUSE OF LORDS EU COMMITTEE STAGE:

Amendment 4 (UK must stay in Single Market) has gone to a vote.

Opposition Front bench is opposing.

Result in approx 15 mins.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited February 2017

You said:

I didn't say diversity means ethnic minorities. That's what you've said. It was an example of diversity that came to my head.

I agree that Cameron wasn't very successful at getting the votes of minorities - I've mentioned it several times on here after all. But in terms of the party itself, it's more diverse post-Cameron than it was pre-Cameron.

EDIT: Are Shaun Bailey, Helen Grant etc really posh? Liz Truss isn't posh either.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072
    edited February 2017
    Off-topic:

SpaceX are believed to be currently making an announcement to the media. No-one really seems to know what is going on, although guesses have varied from an unveiling of their spacesuits to something to do with the Moon.

The first of those would be boring (and a reaction to Boeing showing Colbert theirs the other night). The latter might be really interesting, especially in relation to Trump's speech tomorrow.

So: space fans are either being far too overexcited, or maybe there's something truly exciting on the horizon ...

http://www.geekwire.com/2017/late-show-host-stephen-colbert-dons-boeings-blue-spacesuit-starliner-stardom/

A timely edit:
    SpaceX says its going to send two people around the Moon in the 4th Q of 2018.

(Won't link to @SciGuySpace tweet due to swear word)
  • Options

Macron's face has been on screens and in the papers a lot in the past few days. What united left ticket? Is there still reason to think there might be one? If there were, it might well get its candidate into the second round.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @rafaelbehr: Still yet to see a rebuttal of John Major speech that isn't just a personal attack on the man and denial of his entitlement to an opinion.
  • Options

Up until the 12th Century, Islamic scholars were very active, especially in mathemetics. Indeed, the word algebra is of Arabic origin. The decline of arabic / islamic science is either blamed on Genghis Khan's stampede of destruction from the east or the rise of Sunni Islam around 1200(ish) AD

https://en.qantara.de/content/the-decline-of-islamic-scientific-thought-dont-blame-it-on-al-ghazali

Cyclefree said:

Cookie said:

Mm - interesting. There are ultra-conservative Christian sects too, of course - the Amish and the Plymouth Brethren, for example, both also characterised by an aversion to modernity, unnecessarily strange facial hair and the uglification of their women. And also believing rather too earnestly in God, of course. But in Christian countries, these have for a long time been well outside the mainstream (though I don't suppose puritan England was much fun.). I guess if Christian countries were more dominated by the likes of the Amish things might be rather different. I wonder why this has not been the case - why it is Islamic countries rather than Christian countries who are culturally dominated by the extreme sects of their religion. As far as I dunerstand religion (which is not much) there is no reason why Islam should be the one dominated by fervent believers and Christianity by those paying lip service. But maybe there is.

I think one reason may be that Christianity has been very vigorously challenged, both by groups within it - think of the Reformation and Counter-Reformation - and by secular forces e.g. the French revolution, as well as by wars within and between states. While Christianity has to a very significant extent been at the heart of much of Western European development on very many fronts, it has never had an easy ride. There have always been challenges and challengers.

As far as I know, Islam spread with conquest and has always (?) been linked to political power. Whether the failure of secularism meant that Islam became much more entrenched or it was the presence of Islam which meant that secularism didn't gain a hold, I don't know.

Someone once commented that Christianity held within itself the seeds of the challenges to it. Maybe that doesn't apply in Islam. Again, I simply don't know.

Maybe it's also an element of luck: if, say, the more moderate branches of Islam (the Ahmadis, say) were living in Saudi Arabia and had the benefit of all that lovely oil money, it would be their version that was being taught in madrassas round the world and not the extreme versions.
    On this topic there is an excellent book by Bernard Lewis called "What Went Wrong? Western Impact and Middle Eastern Response" which looks at why the Arabic world lost its predominant position in so many areas including science and mathematics.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Usually profligate of you Mr Brooke.

Several of the words in your first sentence ("FFS" and "narcissistic") should be taken as read when you are considering ibankers
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@rafaelbehr: Still yet to see a rebuttal of John Major speech that isn't just a personal attack on the man and denial of his entitlement to an opinion.

all that says is rafael behr doesnt read that widely
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Off-topic:

SpaceX are believed to be currently making an announcement to the media. No-one really seems to know what is going on, although guesses have varied from an unveiling of their spacesuits to something to do with the Moon.

The first of those would be boring (and a reaction to Boeing showing Colbert theirs the other night). The latter might be really interesting, especially in relation to Trump's speech tomorrow.

So: space fans are either being far too overexcited, or maybe there's something truly exciting on the horizon ...

http://www.geekwire.com/2017/late-show-host-stephen-colbert-dons-boeings-blue-spacesuit-starliner-stardom/

A timely edit:

Apparently it is a privately funded manned mission to the moon (next year!)
  • Options

chestnut said:

Quite.

http://www.thejournal.ie/us-companies-trillions-overseas-profits-tax-haven-2392162-Oct2015/

Could be transformative.
  • Options

Since the vote (notwithstanding the uncertainty) we've had long-term investments announced or confirmed in the UK by a number of technology giants, and international consultancies. Banks have confirmed they will move as few jobs as they need to, and no more, many of which were under threat from automation anyway. HSBC have said, for instance, it might go from 44,000 to 43,000 jobs and they continue to plan the relocate of their global HQ to Birmingham. A majority of firms have stated that our legal system, language, regulatory regime, global reach and access to talent are far more important to them than geopolitics, and the economy has continued to grow robustly. We've had interest expressed - or trade deals mooted - with India, China, Brazil, the US, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea.

It is true to say that Brexit is bound to increase non-tariff boundaries between ourselves and the EU - that's what it means - but I don't see this as a long-term problem. The single market was very far from complete in services and digital tech, when it was hugely in the UK's interest for it to be so, which is why it featured so highly in Cameron's renegotiation objectives, and I expect the impact of formally withdrawing from this to be rather less extreme than often mooted. And I expect free trade in goods to be maintained along with a high degree of UK-EU security cooperation.

The UK will continue to be an extremely affluent country, and one of the world's top 10 economies, well into the 2050s.

I accept others may believe leaving an economic and political union of 500 million people on our doorstep is a fatal mistake, I just don't agree: I think we are much better placed to make the most of the world's opportunities with independent economic and political flexibility outside the EU.

I think we just have different choices. Not many nations have that luxury. We do.

Things could go wrong.

Whether things are more likely to go wrong either inside or outside the EU is hypothetical.

But its highly likely that Britain would have greater flexibility to respond to things going wrong outside the EU than within the EU.

And I don't see any evidence that being within the EU would have brought benefits to match this. Rather the examples of the ERM and CAP show that our European 'friends' would take advantage of the EU to crap all over Britain whenever they got the opportunity.
    Both Leavers and Remainers are terrified of being shown up to be wrong.

That's why both are so tetchy.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Several of the words in your first sentence ("FFS" and "narcissistic") should be taken as read when you are considering ibankers
    Charles

lets start with he's french
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    edited February 2017
    Scott_P said:

I haven't yet seen any Leaver reaction to gentleman John's speech, but presumably Alistair Campbell's offensive against him during the early 1990s is a peck on the cheek in comparison.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles

And he worked for Rothschild
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

The idea of a communist child or a fascist child or a Christian child is absurd.

I hate to be contradictory but have you ever actually studied childhood in the Soviet Union or Nazi Germany? The indoctrination of children via the Hitler Jugend/Bund Deutsche Madel in Germany or the state run crèches in the USSR were two of the more successful elements of the consolidation of the regimes. Indeed, if you had told that to a large majority of the Hitler Youth you would have been looking for your teeth, if you were lucky, or denounced to the Gestapo if you were less lucky. In the USSR there are documented cases of children denouncing their parents for a lack of revolutionary zeal.

You may not approve of it - that's a different issue. But to say it is absurd is simply wrong and bears an alarming resemblance to the incoherent ramblings of Richard Dawkins.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    MikeL said:

What a waste of time and taxpayers money, why don't they just give every member a hand held device so that they can press a button and vote.

Result in one minute, move on to the next vote and so on.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Off-topic:

A timely edit:

Apparently it is a privately funded manned mission to the moon
    *Around* the moon, not *to* the moon. A week-long looping mission. I doubt the Falcon 9 Heavy has the capability to launch a lander, or even enough delta-v for lunar orbit.

If this is true, it'll really hurt NASA's SLS, which was due to do the same thing in the early 2020s.

I also cannot see this not having anything to do with Trump's speech tomorrow, directly or indirectly.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

I've watched a few minutes of it and it hasn't improved my mood.
    Overall it is worth a watch and some interesting characters
  • Options

RobD said:

Off-topic:

A timely edit:

*Around* the moon, not *to* the moon. A week-long looping mission. I doubt the Falcon 9 Heavy has the capability to launch a lander, or even enough delta-v for lunar orbit.

If this is true, it'll really hurt NASA's SLS, which was due to do the same thing in the early 2020s.

I also cannot see this not having anything to do with Trump's speech tomorrow, directly or indirectly.
    They have to get to the moon to go around it, surely? :p
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

"Weak! Weak! Weak!"

:innocent:
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Le Pen still leads every first round poll though and a united left ticket would still (just) overtake Macron for second let alone Fillon, not that it will happen
  • Options
    RobD said:

Off-topic:

A timely edit:

Yes but it is a manned flight around the moon not to the moon. No landing planned for this one.

Still a hell of an announcement and great progressif it comes off.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Synopsis of all GB-wide VI polls conducted so far this year (19 in total):

* Mean Conservative lead over Labour: 13.5% (double-digit leads recorded in 16 of 19 polls)
    * Mean splits by party: Con 40.4%, Lab 26.9%, Ukip 12.5%, LibDem 10.1%, Green 4.1%, Other 6.3%
  • Options
    DeClare said:

MikeL said:

What a waste of time and taxpayers money, why don't they just give every member a hand held device so that they can press a button and vote.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/16/bishop-apologises-accidentally-pressing-wrong-button-crucial/

There are certain human factors issues involved.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles

And he worked for Rothschild
    the french have a word for it amour-propre

or wanking as we say in english
  • Options
    Okay then... who's suddenly lost a few tens of millions they had spare in their pocket?

http://www.spacex.com/news/2017/02/27/spacex-send-privately-crewed-dragon-spacecraft-beyond-moon-next-year
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Le Pen still leads every first round poll though and a united left ticket would still (just) overtake Macron for second let alone Fillon, not that it will happen
    The "united left" ticket is dead, buried, and turned to dust.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Off-topic:

A timely edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu7AR0-FRro
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Off-topic:

A timely edit:

Pedantically, 'to the moon' is seen as landing on it.
  • Options

Synopsis of all GB-wide VI polls conducted so far this year (19 in total):

* Mean Conservative lead over Labour: 13.5% (double-digit leads recorded in 16 of 19 polls)
    * Mean splits by party: Con 40.4%, Lab 26.9%, Ukip 12.5%, LibDem 10.1%, Green 4.1%, Other 6.3%

JICIPM!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    House of Lords EU Bill: Amendment 4 LOSES:

For - 136
    Against - 299
  • Options
    DeClare said:

MikeL said:

Might work if you let them sit on each other's laps. There are about twice as many members as literal seats.
  • Options
    I've just seen this, it's a weird situation where an MP is 86. I can't think of a single job or profession where an 86 year old would be considered capable.
  • Options

RobD said:

Off-topic:

A timely edit:

Yes but it is a manned flight around the moon not to the moon. No landing planned for this one.

Still a hell of an announcement and great progressif it comes off.
    Indeed. But they need the Falcon Heavy to fly, which has been six months away from first flight since 2013. They also need the Dragon 2 capsule (which can carry people) to fly successfully.

Both of these have really significant risks, although nowhere near as many as the competitor SLS project.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Off-topic:

A timely edit:

Who knew PB could get so worked up about the word 'to'

Ah, who am I kidding :D

(fair enough.. will be more careful in future :) )
  • Options
    Looking at the local election results in Manchester Gorton in May 2007:

LibD 9996
    Lab 7827
    Grn 1763
    Con 1287
    Oth 591

http://www.andrewteale.me.uk/leap/results/2007/35/

Its not inconceivable we get something similar in the by-election.

Certainly the LibDems need to show that they can regain ground in Labour areas - if they can't do it now then they're not going to do so until the next time Labour is in government.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

For - 136
    Against - 299

Interesting that turnout is only 436.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    Bojabob said:

When I joined the YC's I must have suffered from false consciousness.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Off-topic:

A timely edit:

Who knew PB could get so worked up about the word 'to'

Ah, who am I kidding :D

(fair enough.. will be more careful in future :) )
    ISTR NASA got in a little controversy a few years back when they said they were returning man to the moon with the SLS EM2 mission, which made people think they'd be landing. Instead it was essentially this mission, the equivalent of ?Apollo8?.

They altered their wording.

But yes, pedantic. :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

For - 136
    Against - 299

Interesting that turnout is only 436.
    That's very high for this late in the evening.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

Since tmight go from 44,000 to 43,000 jobs and they continue to plan the relocate of their global HQ to Birmingham. A majority of firms have stated that our legal system, language, regulatory regime, global reach and access to talent are far more important to them than geopolitics, and the economy has continued to grow robustly. We've had interest expressed - or trade deals mooted - with India, China, Brazil, the US, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea.

Things could go wrong.

I'm not tetchy.

As you know I view Brexit as a political mistake similar to the wrong result at a GE. The country has got it wrong. As they would have done had they voted in Labour in 2015.

I don't see why I shouldn't elaborate on my views on a political website.
  • Options

I've just seen this, it's a weird situation where an MP is 86. I can't think of a single job or profession where an 86 year old would be considered capable.

The Lords' has a few over 90 year olds, though as Lord Tyler pointed out on the BBC2 programme it is the best care home in London
  • Options

HM The Queen is even older!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Lords' has a few over 90 year olds, though as Lord Tyler pointed out on the BBC2 programme it is the best care home in London
    Quite. RIP Kaufman but I'm afraid its farcical.
  • Options

Being an MP isn't a real job. Kaufman,even in his final years, was vastly superior to the human detritus that is the Westminster norm.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited February 2017
    Sean_F said:

Bojabob said:

It's perfectly acceptable to describe someone brought up in Christian/Muslim/Hindu households by parents of that religion as a child of that religion. It is a description of their upbringing rather than of them specifically, it doesn't take a genius to see that surely?
  • Options

I'm not so sure about that. As a defeated Remainer voter I'm more worried of being shown to be right. I think I can live reasonably happily with being shown up to be wrong.

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

What about an 89 year old proctologist?

http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/01/worlds-oldest-surgeon-89-is-still-performing-operations-6420890/
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Sean_F said:

Bojabob said:

Are Young Farmers allowed?
  • Options

Being an MP isn't a real job. Kaufman,even in his final years, was vastly superior to the human detritus that is the Westminster norm.
    Superior in what way?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,921

chestnut said:

*runs and hides*
    I believe Ireland are now a net contributor
  • Options

Superior in what way?
    Morally and intellectually.
  • Options
    isam said:

Sean_F said:

Bojabob said:

It's perfectly acceptable to describe someone brought up in Christian/Muslim/Hindu households by parents of that religion as a child of that religion. It is a description of their upbringing rather than of them specifically, it doesn't take a genius to see that surely?
    What if they're not particularly religious parents?
  • Options

Superior in what way?
    Morally and intellectually.
    I've made the fatal mistake of questioning the suitability of a Labour MP, I guess I should have known better
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    OllyT said:

chestnut said:

*runs and hides*
    I guess they will be an even larger contributor when the UK leaves.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited February 2017

isam said:

Sean_F said:

Bojabob said:

Well as I see it, it's not really a label that is set in stone. Personally I have never even been to church and don't come from a religious family, but if I had been described as a Christian child when I was a child I wouldn't have seen it as a big problem, what difference does it make?

What is it people want? Children not to be allowed to go to church with their parents?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

For an MP it is maybe too old but for a member of the Lords which is a revising chamber as long as they have not yet succumbed to dementia I see no reason they cannot stay in post into their 80s and 90s
  • Options

I didn't say diversity means ethnic minorities. That's what you've said. It was an example of diversity that came to my head.

I agree that Cameron wasn't very successful at getting the votes of minorities - I've mentioned it several times on here after all. But in terms of the party itself, it's more diverse post-Cameron than it was pre-Cameron.

EDIT: Are Shaun Bailey, Helen Grant etc really posh? Liz Truss isn't posh either.
    You said that Cameron had 'opened the party up to individuals from many different backgrounds and walks of life'.

And I pointed that the Conservatives had previously had leaders who were female, Jewish, Born abroad and from 'down market' backgrounds so I'm not sure what these 'different backgrounds and walk of life' are.

And here's Cameron's 'A-listers':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-List_(Conservative)

It doesn't seem a random selection of people to me.

Liz Truss for example is the daughter of a university professor, is an Oxford PPE and was first a parliamentary candidate in 2001.

Sean Bailey certainly was someone of non-standard background but his career was snuffed out by the Cameroons, of whom he was critical.

Helen Grant was a defector from Labour - a smart career move.
  • Options

I'm not so sure about that. As a defeated Remainer voter I'm more worried of being shown to be right. I think I can live reasonably happily with being shown up to be wrong.

Agreed. If the referendum had gone the other way, I would have been very keen indeed to be proved wrong in my fears for (our future in) the EU. In the event, I'm still keen to be proved wrong about the future of the EU, I wish them every success.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

For an MP it is maybe too old but for a member of the Lords which is a revising chamber as long as they have not yet succumbed to dementia I see no reason they cannot stay in post into their 80s and 90s
    I know several people in their 90s that I like very much, asking them to pass laws is utterly ridiculous, most of them can't order their own lunch.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

chestnut said:

*runs and hides*
    Citation needed
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think he was able and still performing his job when he died :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PknyjRSEpm4

OK - So he has to hold onto the bench after he gets up for a second time, but he is clearly mentally capable and was able to deliver his speech on behalf of his constituent without problems.

What about an MP who is perhaps younger but develops Alzheimers though ?

Has there ever been a case of that occurring - I think that rather than someone's physical age is a potential real issue. Incapability.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013

What about an 89 year old proctologist?

http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/01/worlds-oldest-surgeon-89-is-still-performing-operations-6420890/
    Proctologists and MP's...both used to dealing with arseholes!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I know several people in their 90s that I like very much, asking them to pass laws is utterly ridiculous, most of them can't order their own lunch.
    Kaufman still seemed capable enough to me even though he was in his mid 80s. I assume being an active constituency MP keeps one mentally active and could prevent mental decline - as for the Lords, I note there are always several of them asleep. I do wonder if they're all as mentally fit as Kaufman was when he died ?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

Bojabob said:

Well as I see it, it's not really a label that is set in stone. Personally I have never even been to church and don't come from a religious family, but if I had been described as a Christian child when I was a child I wouldn't have seen it as a big problem, what difference does it make?

What is it people want? Children not to be allowed to go to church with their parents?
    Children not to be allowed to go to football with their parents?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I have just been checking some election results from 1970, and was a bit surprised to discover that in that election there were 185 straight fight contests - with the exception of a few in Northern Ireland all were Tory v Labour contests.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think he was able and still performing his job when he died :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PknyjRSEpm4

OK - So he has to hold onto the bench after he gets up for a second time, but he is clearly mentally capable and was able to deliver his speech on behalf of his constituent without problems.

What about an MP who is perhaps younger but develops Alzheimers though ?

Has there ever been a case of that occurring - I think that rather than someone's physical age is a potential real issue. Incapability.
    Fair point but for somebody to carry on a full time job 21 years after retirement ages begs the question of how demanding the job is. I wouldn't let an 86 year old relative of mine travel from Manchester to London unaccompanied, the whole thing is ridiculous.
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642

isam said:

Sean_F said:

Bojabob said:

Most likely children would be unlikely to hold any religious views or extreme views like communism were they not indoctrinated with them by their parents and schoolteachers from an early age. One of the challenges of globalisation is integration of peoples. It is damned hard to integrate when we are assigning human beings to sectarian silos at age five.
This discussion has been closed.