Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Storm Doris to hit Stoke and Copeland tomorrow with winds of u

Comments

• Options

DanSmith said:

Steve hawkesVerified account‏@steve_hawkes 47m47 minutes ago

By-election: one source, Labour now think they COULD win Copeland as postal votes good- and believe they have romped it in Stoke

Every possible combination of results has been briefed to journalists in the last fortnight.
    Indeed. Anyway postal votes should fall more to Tories. Or is that old hat these days when lots of people have them?
    I thought it was long suggested postal votes favoured Labour which is why they were extended by Labour.
    In stoke aren't there lots of student lib dems with postal votes too? I think they favour those with the ground game to get their supporters registered and then check they've been filled in
    Lots of the students live in the Newcastle under Lyme constituency, as that's where Keele is.

Staffs Uni has most of its campus buildings in S-O-T Central. Staffs is about 1/3 bigger than Keele in terms of student body. Isn't it Reading Week, though? Relying on students being sufficiently organised to have arranged a postal vote is a bit hopeful.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,042
    edited February 2017

If you think that Copeland is 50:50 between Labour and the Conservatives, backing Labour at odds of close to 2/1 screams out.

Better odds by buying Lab on SPIN at 14.0, assuming you're confident they won't come third.
    The breakeven probability for Labour to come third has to be exactly 10% for the SPIN buy at 14 to match the 2-1.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Is there provision for elections to be called off/postponed if the weather conditions are too bad, etc?

As far as I am aware no election has ever been called off because of the weather, certainly not in the UK?
    Tony had to cancel the 2001 general election by a month because of foot and mouth but that was under different circumstances as he hadn't actually called it before the crisis began - Begs the question what would have happened if it's started in the middle of the election campaign though?
    I've vivid memories of that. The farmer opposite me couldn't move his sheep across a lane to another field - and were left knee deep in mud because of the restriction. It harmed their health and cost a small fortune re feed and lost income. He earned under £7k that year.

I'd a good friend work colleague who was pissed off about the inconvenience to his family walking holiday and moaning about farmers. I gave him both barrels. He was also a Man U fan who lived all his life in Woking.
    Living in the countryside I also saw the devastating affects of foot and mouth. Terrible.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited February 2017
    We want to be really careful here. This photo / film was taken a while ago and has been doing the rounds for days now on the interwebs and being recycled by other people as a "new" discovery....and no mainstream news outlet has run it. I.e. They have had plenty of time to see it mentioned and check it out. The only way to know is to see the full clip.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,257
    isam said:

Haven't watched this myself yet, but Harris was on the money at the ref in Stoke so will be interesting to see what he finds

https://twitter.com/johnharris1969/status/834339405401878528

That is a very interesting watch. It was very Labour-centric (understandable as it is on the Guardian...), but it is good seeing the less (ahem) salubrious parts of constituencies getting looked at.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,239
    RoyalBlue said:

Scott_P said:

@BBCsarahsmith: £30 mill budget for new Scottish BBC channel. Similar to BBC 4 budget. Launch summer 2018

@BBCsarahsmith: New 9pm hour long news programme on new BBC Scotland channel. Scottish, UK and world news. #ScottishNine

How depressing. Why is the BBC bowing to SNP pressure?

Fortunately younger people don't really watch TV news.
    Ha Ha Ha Carlotta in disguise
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Laurie Penny writes a very good very long piece about Milo whatshisface:

hps://twitter.com/pennyred/status/834200815032086528

What is it about people like Penny, who think that people who disagree with them should be subject to physical violence?

The way one deals with a troll like Milo is just to ignore him until he goes away, he loves it when certain sections of the left go collectively nuts about him!
    I think you misunderstand the subtitle. Its not that Penny thinks he should be punched in the face its that she thinks Milo wants to be punched in the face as the ultimate validation of his strategy.
    It wasn't just the title, skimming the article there were several references to it being well deserved if Milo and his followers were subjected to physical assault. It's the same mentality that thought it was hilarious when someone got sucker-punched while being interviewed on live TV on Inauguration Day, just because that someone was of the right and those of the left found him offensive.

The way one stands up to the Milos of this world is either to ignore or to engage in reasoned debate. Calling him 'isms' and wanting him beaten up isn't engaging in anything like reasonable debate.
    I see the Left's own skeletons are falling out of the closet with George Takei saying almost exactly the same thing and Bill Maher saying some extraordinary stuff. I very much doubt this will have any impact as ranks close around them.
    Look, squirrel. It was the right, not the left, led by Glenn Beck who took Milo down.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RoyalBlue said:

Scott_P said:

@BBCsarahsmith: £30 mill budget for new Scottish BBC channel. Similar to BBC 4 budget. Launch summer 2018

@BBCsarahsmith: New 9pm hour long news programme on new BBC Scotland channel. Scottish, UK and world news. #ScottishNine

I guess it depends on whether it becomes a SNP propaganda tool, or is used to properly hold the Scottish government to account on health, education, policing etc?

Will probably keep OFCOM busy with all the bias complaints, that's for sure.
    You F***in halfwits it is the BBC how the F*** could it become an SNP propaganda tool. Do you think the BBC in London all channels are TORY propaganda tools.
    There are some idiots on here but you cretins take the biscuit for being utter moronic halfwitted cretins.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    This sort of analysis isn't my wheel house to critique

Anyone want to summarise it? And stats check

http://www.morpheusblogg.se/2015/11/14/swedens-extreme-immigration-politics/
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,050
    PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Is there provision for elections to be called off/postponed if the weather conditions are too bad, etc?

As far as I am aware no election has ever been called off because of the weather, certainly not in the UK?
    Tony had to cancel the 2001 general election by a month because of foot and mouth but that was under different circumstances as he hadn't actually called it before the crisis began - Begs the question what would have happened if it's started in the middle of the election campaign though?
    I've vivid memories of that. The farmer opposite me couldn't move his sheep across a lane to another field - and were left knee deep in mud because of the restriction. It harmed their health and cost a small fortune re feed and lost income. He earned under £7k that year.

I'd a good friend work colleague who was pissed off about the inconvenience to his family walking holiday and moaning about farmers. I gave him both barrels. He was also a Man U fan who lived all his life in Woking.
    Yes, the effects of F&M were utterly devastating to rural communities. Friend of mine found himself in big trouble after messing up while flying a glider and landing in a random field, while cross-country flying was strictly off limits. He had police, MAFF and the British Gliding Association to deal with, his glider stayed in the field for a couple of months before he was allowed back to retrieve it!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

RoyalBlue said:

Scott_P said:

I guess it depends on whether it becomes a SNP propaganda tool, or is used to properly hold the Scottish government to account on health, education, policing etc?

You F***in halfwits it is the BBC how the F*** could it become an SNP propaganda tool. Do you think the BBC in London all channels are TORY propaganda tools.
    There are some idiots on here but you cretins take the biscuit for being utter moronic halfwitted cretins.
    :smiley:
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

RoyalBlue said:

Scott_P said:

I thought we were all turnips! :tongue:
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Storm Doris gives an opportunity to get in an obscure 80's music reference: Was Not Was - Earth to Doris. Just love these lyrics:

At the loveless motel and restaurant out on highway 33
    The matchbook says call for reservations
    Country ham and biscuits, delicious steaks
    I met a woman there one night
    No moon, just, just diesel trucks
    She kissed me like she was hungry so we got a room
    In the morning she looked like a horse
    Smoking little cigars
    Playing these tapes of her husband
    She says "Doesn't he sound like Elvis?"
    She makes champagne out of 7-Up and cheap wine
    Like a chemist
    Next to one of those insect electric chairs
    Her skin gleaming blue everytime a fly died
    I read the funnies. I laughed anyway
    "Someting's burning somewhere" I said
    "Yeah, it's us" she says
    "You both want coffee?" the waitress says
    Yes, two, two coffees
    That's perfect on this cold, dim, flourescent morning
    And a couple of those donuts over there, right Doris?
    Right Doris?
    Earth to Doris....Earth to Doris
    Come in Doris...Earth to Doris
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    edited February 2017
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes, the effects of F&M were utterly devastating to rural communities. Friend of mine found himself in big trouble after messing up while flying a glider and landing in a random field, while cross-country flying was strictly off limits. He had police, MAFF and the British Gliding Association to deal with, his glider stayed in the field for a couple of months before he was allowed back to retrieve it!
    I was learning to fly at the time, its a bit disconcerting gliding down toward a field practising emergency landings and then realising its full of dead cows and beating a hasty retreat (1000ft exclusion zone over cull sites).
  • Options

Storm Doris gives an opportunity to get in an obscure 80's music reference: Was Not Was - Earth to Doris. Just love these lyrics:

Bunch of dinosaurs :)
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

DanSmith said:

Steve hawkesVerified account‏@steve_hawkes 47m47 minutes ago

By-election: one source, Labour now think they COULD win Copeland as postal votes good- and believe they have romped it in Stoke

Every possible combination of results has been briefed to journalists in the last fortnight.
    Indeed. Anyway postal votes should fall more to Tories. Or is that old hat these days when lots of people have them?
    I thought it was long suggested postal votes favoured Labour which is why they were extended by Labour.
    In stoke aren't there lots of student lib dems with postal votes too? I think they favour those with the ground game to get their supporters registered and then check they've been filled in
    Lots of the students live in the Newcastle under Lyme constituency, as that's where Keele is.

Staffs Uni has most of its campus buildings in S-O-T Central. Staffs is about 1/3 bigger than Keele in terms of student body. Isn't it Reading Week, though? Relying on students being sufficiently organised to have arranged a postal vote is a bit hopeful.
    Points taken but at 100/1 plus you can afford to be a bit hopeful.
  • Options
    There's a touch of Gordon Brown when it comes to Mrs May.

https://twitter.com/GwynneMP/status/834329709089529856
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    isam said:

isam said:

Having watched that John Harris video if you suspected the donald trump tribute act was a bit of a wally, now confirmed not got a f##king clue.

Don't fancy going there on my holidays!

What was the turnout in the referendum in that area?
    65.7%
    So that's about a massive 16% of non regular voters who we know are mostly Leave voters and are unlikely to turnout for a by election that won't change the government.

Shouldn't overestimate how many Leave voters there will be on by election day. It will be more remainy than the 35% in this constituency. If it was only slightly more remainy then that could mean an electorate of 40% who want to remoan in some way. If most go for one candidate that's a lib dem win........
  • Options

Great to see Milo toppled by his own side. Strange that it is only now that it's happened. Milo was one of the class of true professional trolls like Katie Hopkins, who have these controversial opinions that spring out of nowhere and get more extreme over time, simply as part of their persona. At least with other 'contrarians' like Farage or Mensch, you get the sense that they genuinely believe the majority of what they are arguing.

Incidentally I don't believe that the old maxim of ignoring a troll like you should ignore a bully is really possible. I've never actually seen a case IRL where a bully stopped bullying because you ignored them, it is always better to confront the problem. Likewise, for trolls it's never seemed clear to me that ignoring people like Milo or Hopkins is going to stop them. I'm not saying hysterical reactions are the way forward, but rather that it is better to engage, disprove, and discredit them (as has happened with Milo here).

The question is: where does Yiannopoulos go from here? Disowned and humiliated by the American Right, perhaps he could reinvent himself as a man of the Left. What about marketing himself as a sadder-and-wiser figure, misguided by a lust for attention but fundamentally always 'a liberal at heart'? It might work.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,902

He said. She said. No 10 says they didn't follow the procedure. They say they did.

Who knows?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Haw ScottP - looks like former Tory TSE is after your "retweet a wet leftie" gig.

I'd contact your union.
  • Options
    Interesting observation

Robert Kimbell
    UK GDP 2016

+0.7% Q4
    +0.5% Q3
    +0.5% Q2 (EUref near end of quarter)
    +0.1% Q1

ONS

Project Fear caused slight dip!

Graphic: The Independent https://t.co/010uoWt1ss
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Except El Gord was on around 30% in the polls and sinking fast at this point in his Premiership... ;)
  • Options
    MattW said:

ttps://twitter.com/GwynneMP/status/834329709089529856

He said. She said. No 10 says they didn't follow the procedure. They say they did.

Who knows?
    There’s a procedure for delivering a petition? – I thought they just turned up at the door of No.10 looking suitably earnest and dressed in Primark.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,255
    MattW said:

Who knows?
    A Labour Party publicity stunt part organised by the Labour MP for Workington
  • Options

Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

I was learning to fly at the time, its a bit disconcerting gliding down toward a field practising emergency landings and then realising its full of dead cows and beating a hasty retreat (1000ft exclusion zone over cull sites).
    Some great beef-powered thermals around though! < / joke >

There was one day I turned up to fly, got half way through reading about a dozen pages of NOTAMS and it clicked that maybe flying was a bad idea, given how much trouble there would be for messing up. As my friend found out the hard way a few days later.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    GIN1138 said:

Except El Gord was on around 30% in the polls at this point in his Premiership and sinking fast... ;)
    https://order-order.com/2017/02/22/non-party-political-copeland-hospital-campaigner-is-tory-hating-labour-activist/

An exponent of kinder, gentler political discourse.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

RoyalBlue said:

Scott_P said:

I thought we were all turnips! :tongue:
    You have graduated well beyond that , you now have multiple PHD's , MBA's , Doctorates , etc etc beyond turnipdom
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Except El Gord was on around 30% in the polls and sinking fast at this point in his Premiership... ;)
    El Gordo was up against David Cameron, the man who took the Tory Party from fewer than 200 MPs to 331 MPs.

Mrs May is up against Jeremy Corbyn, the man who might give Labour a worse night than 1931.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Haw ScottP - looks like former Tory TSE is after your "retweet a wet leftie" gig.

I'd contact your union.

YOu mean CCHQ
  • Options

This is the "independent" campaigner who has just been revealed as a paid up member of the local labour party.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TGOHF said:

I'd contact your union.

My shift was over...
  • Options

MattW said:

Who knows?
    There’s a procedure for delivering a petition? – I thought they just turned up at the door of No.10 looking suitably earnest and dressed in Primark.
    5 days notice.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

GIN1138 said:

El Gordo was up against David Cameron, the man who took the Tory Party from fewer than 200 MPs to 331 MPs.

Mrs May is up against Jeremy Corbyn, the man who might give Labour a worse night than 1931.
    And if David Cameron hadn't lumbered up with that stoooopid fixed term parliament act Mother Theresa would probably secure over 400 MP's for the Tories in a 2017 general election. :(
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I'd contact your union.

Former Tory? In just over two months time I'll have been a Tory member for over twenty years.

If I can survive the IDS years, I can survive the Mrs May years.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Who knows?
    5 days notice.
    Unless (allegedly) you are an MP.
  • Options

This is the "independent" campaigner who has just been revealed as a paid up member of the local labour party.
    Most voters in Copeland won't know that. They'll just see the local front page.
  • Options
    Ben Glaze
    A man has been jailed for 28 days for contempt after Facebook Live streaming a witness giving evidence at Cardiff Crown Court - @swpolice
  • Options

Most voters in Copeland won't know that. They'll just see the local front page.
    Another example of failing Fake news.....
  • Options
    Bit late..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/22/germany-calls-eu-scrap-human-rights-safeguards-migrants-can/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"Germany has called for the European Union to scrap human rights safeguards so migrants can be deported to countries currently considered unsafe.

Under the plan, asylum-seekers who cross the Mediterranean illegally could be sent back to transit countries such as Libya, Tunisia, and Algeria while their cases are considered.

The proposals come as a leaked German government paper warned that as many as 5.9m people could seek to enter the EU from countries around the Mediterranean."
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255

This ISIS suicide bomber from Gitmo seems to be putting one final nail in Tony Blair's reputational coffin, after he assured everyone that these extremists posed no danger, and gave him a million quid of taxpayers money, which he apparently gave straight to ISIS. Nice work Tony :rage:

Why were people so naïve about people who ended up in Afghanistan? They didn't go there for bucket and spade holidays. There was at the very least a question mark about why they were there. That does not, of course, justify being locked up without a trial but it should have made people a lot more sceptical about claims that they were all innocents who were just caught up in a country which was run by and a haven for terrorists.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

I'd contact your union.

YOu mean CCHQ
    CCHQ employ people to retweet leftwing Labour MPs ?

Save Jeremy is more cynical than imagined.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Cyclefree said:

This ISIS suicide bomber from Gitmo seems to be putting one final nail in Tony Blair's reputational coffin, after he assured everyone that these extremists posed no danger, and gave him a million quid of taxpayers money, which he apparently gave straight to ISIS. Nice work Tony :rage:

Why were people so naïve about people who ended up in Afghanistan? They didn't go there for bucket and spade holidays. There was at the very least a question mark about why they were there. That does not, of course, justify being locked up without a trial but it should have made people a lot more sceptical about claims that they were all innocents who were just caught up in a country which was run by and a haven for terrorists.

People who go to Afghanistan on hols are waved back in no questions asked... by the people who refuse to believe Nuttall was at Hillsborough!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Labour activist who organised the petition wished death on David Cameron ttps://mobile.twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/834347995005071360
  • Options
    Perhaps the delightful Mrs Gearing should have asked Mr Jamie Reed for advice on how to present a petition at No 10.

https://twitter.com/JamieFonzarelli/status/530014093223411712

At least he was helpful the last time she worked on one.
  • Options
    Holy Cats

Telegraph
    Germany calls on EU to scrap human rights safeguards so migrants can be deported to 'unsafe' countries https://t.co/FolrM8WRTY https://t.co/pyvJPtPW7h
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited February 2017
    Cyclefree said:

So people didn't go to Afghanistan for the great weather, limitless leisure pursuits & the hot chicks in binikis burkas?
  • Options
    Ah, and I see Peter Lilley and Sir Ivan have made the same point I was making last night about the ludicrous contrast between the EU's €60bn figure and the contributions we make as a full member:

10:58 Q: This €60bn figure from the EU: does this mean the UK has been understating its contribution to the EU. Was £350m a week an understatement?

Rogers says, following that logic, Lilley would be right.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,144

GIN1138 said:

Fake facts again (can I use that about this) Tory gains in 2015 were from the LD’s. IIRC they actually lost seats in England to Labour. It was Gordon;s nightmare at home..... the Labour wipeout in Scotland ...... which did for Labour in that election.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Labour activist who organised the petition wished death on David Cameron ttps://mobile.twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/834347995005071360

Ugh! How do people like this get the oxygen of publicity?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    HYUFD said:

[S]he has some views of Tory politicians which one might describe as partisan. Such as that David Cameron is a “w*nker” who should be killed.

She's not all bad then. ;)
  • Options
    Fox
    How did voters grade President Trump taking on 'fake news' & 'dishonest media' at his Florida rally? (via @lh_carter)
    GOP: A-
    IND: B
    DEM: F https://t.co/inDCTqgQOJ

Worm in action
  • Options
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

It is a cynical political stunt
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Yesterday's by election result
    Basingstoke Winklebury

Labour gain from Conservative

Conservatives losing everywhere
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

[S]he has some views of Tory politicians which one might describe as partisan. Such as that David Cameron is a “w*nker” who should be killed.

She's not all bad then. ;)
    Though TSE may want to consider retweeting any more tweets involving her given her views of his hero!
  • Options
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

They rely on Labour’s useful idiots. – So, who posted the link? :lol:
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Roger said:

Talking of electoral duties, I was Returning Officer in the Oxford Union one election and had to help a very old voter who was partially sighted vote. Going through the list of candidates at one name he demanded "Is that the Jew boy?" Awkward pause, then "Vote for him".

I was at a polling station and a very long bearded Rabbi asked me if I could help him as his sight wasn't too good so I went into the little booth with him and asked where he wanted his cross. He looked at me like I was mad and said 'Conservative of course!'
    Yes, had a similar experience - a blind voter was asked to whisper her preference to the Returning Officer in the presence of the rival tellers (not sure why we weren't just expected to trust the RO). She whispered "Conservative". Afterwards, she asked for help to get back to the bus stop over the road. The Tory teller looked blank, so I took her. I'm sure the same has happened in reverse - some activists just get too far into "vote cast, job done" mode.
    I assume you meant Presiding Officer!
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    I suspect one of the reasons for the instinctive dislike of Trump by the Establishment (apart from the politics) is that he's 'uncouth'. It's a great world for him, defined as 'lacking good manners, refinement, or grace." Instinctively, politicians should be calm and polite even when delivering a load of untruths. A British gentleman, in fact.

Even the Yanks have the same instinct. Many blue collar workers in America see being uncouth as a sign of being a rebel, a Clint Eastwood character who will take on the pointy-heads in Washington. The middle-class students equate it with being unlearned, and it verges for many into being snobbish.

I think it was Charles who called Farage "College"- the character from the Arthur Haynes show, and I can see why. He should be uncouth. If he isn't, it's because he's faking it.
  • Options
    Corbyn will be bigging this up for years, if he survives this week.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/834368967644966913
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Yesterday's by election result
    Basingstoke Winklebury

Labour gain from Conservative

Conservatives losing everywhere

Interesting. Any numbers?

Con support does seem wide but rather shallow.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Cyclefree said:

So people didn't go to Afghanistan for the great weather, limitless leisure pursuits & the hot chicks in binikis burkas?
    I always think of the marvellous book - A Short Walk In The Hindu Kush - it's one of my favourites from another era - 1958.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2006/oct/29/travelobituaries.travelbooks.escape

"We had been on the march for a month. We were all rather jaded; the horses were galled because the drivers were careless of them, and their ribs stood out because they had been in places only fit for mules and forded innumerable torrents filled with slippery rocks as big as footballs; the drivers had run out of tobacco and were pining for their wives; there was no more sugar to put in the tea, no more jam, no more cigarettes and I was reading The Hound of the Baskervilles for the third time; all of us suffered from persistent dysentery. The ecstatic sensations we had experienced at a higher altitude were beginning to wear off. It was not a particularly gay party.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    dr_spyn said:

Is it going to be Labour's week?
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,243
    MattW said:

Who knows?
    He or she may have said whatever but it doesn't stop it being crap politics by May. Again.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

I'd contact your union.

If I can survive the IDS years, I can survive the Mrs May years.
    Ah, but the Mrs May years may last quite a bit longer.....and won't involve Opposition....
  • Options

MattW said:

Who knows?
    He or she may have said whatever but it doesn't stop it being crap politics by May. Again.
    Would May actually know anything about this? Like, if someone turns up at Number 10 with a petition, is the PM actually told about it? Or do the "underlings" deal with it?
  • Options
    THE WRINKLE IN WINKLE !
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited February 2017

MattW said:

Who knows?
    Don’t talk wet, it was a staged managed outrage stunt by a Labour activist who wanted David Cameron dead. - If there is a five day waiting procedure and this was not followed, then it was correct to stop it at the gates.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr Monksfield,

"He or she may have said whatever but it doesn't stop it being crap politics by May. Again."

Tony Blair would never have done this. Neither would Cameron.

Jezza would have done it and dug even deeper. Probably suggested it was signed by Nazis. She's lucky he's the opposition.

Although he is learning gradually. In about sixty years, he'll be as polished as Tony.
  • Options

Except when it comes to polls or poll ratings......
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    tpfkar said:

dr_spyn said:

Is it going to be Labour's week?
    If #Tories4Corbyn have any say in the matter it will be.

Man the picket line comrade! :smiley:
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    dr_spyn said:

A swing to Labour of 20.8%. Must have been local circumstances surely? No more meaningful than the LibDem gain in Sunderland earlier this month.
  • Options

If you think that Copeland is 50:50 between Labour and the Conservatives, backing Labour at odds of close to 2/1 screams out.

Better odds by buying Lab on SPIN at 14.0, assuming you're confident they won't come third.
    That too, of course.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,875
    edited February 2017
    First question on the petition that was turned away.....turns out it wasn't & May gets in a plug for the Conservative candidate...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

MattW said:

Who knows?
    Would May actually know anything about this? Like, if someone turns up at Number 10 with a petition, is the PM actually told about it? Or do the "underlings" deal with it?

MattW said:

Who knows?
    Don’t talk wet, it was a staged managed outrage stunt by a Labour activist who wanted David Cameron dead. - If there is a five day waiting procedure and this was not followed, then it was correct to stop it at the gates.
    Dear Lord, does it have to be spelled out to you dimwits that in the week of an important by-election, one in which the PM has campaigned personally (an increasingly regular and somewhat ill becoming phenomenon, I'll add), it's poor politics to make it look as if you don't give a shit about one of the central issues.
  • Options
    May has just said on PMQs the petition has been accepted anyway
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

First question on the petition that was turned away.....

Fake Alt-news apparently
  • Options
    Fake news. PM confirms health petition was delivered and received by No 10 yesterday
  • Options
    A stunt might be unravelling as I type.

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/834373338923487233
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

GIN1138 said:

MattW said:

Who knows?

MattW said:

Who knows?
    Dear Lord, does it have to be spelled out to you dimwits that in the week of an important by-election, one in which the PM has campaigned personally (an increasingly regular and somewhat ill becoming phenomenon, I'll add), it's poor politics to make it look as if you don't give a shit about one of the central issues.
    Even pisser poor politics to be lying about it not having been received ?
  • Options
    Corbyn does look a lot smarter today than he used to at PMQs
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

MattW said:

Who knows?

MattW said:

Who knows?
    Even pisser poor politics to be lying about it not having been received ?
    Let's ask a question where we have no idea what May will answer.

Brilliant, brilliant media management.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Probably after one of those 'thick of it' moments in the Downing St hallway.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Don't believe everything a Labour activist says more like
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I must say that I do appreciate all the sterling work the News & Star has done to sure up Labour in the seat.
  • Options

First question on the petition that was turned away.....turns out it wasn't & May gets in a plug for the Conservative candidate...

A plug at PMQs should guarantee them the seat ;)
  • Options
    Good response from May - Corbyn sounds angry protest march mode
  • Options
    isam said:

Corbyn does look a lot smarter today than he used to at PMQs

Is David Cameron's mum smartening him up? :D
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Don't believe everything a Labour activist says more like
    Or turn it away, and then quietly receive it so that you can make Corbyn look stupid, again.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

dr_spyn said:

A swing to Labour of 20.8%. Must have been local circumstances surely? No more meaningful than the LibDem gain in Sunderland earlier this month.
    So it's not all 'LibDem surge' then?
  • Options
    :smiley:

Washington Post
    A Trump wine boycott backfires spectacularly https://t.co/JChoI0bp8j
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Good response from May - Corbyn sounds angry protest march mode

He's much more effective when he's 'more in sorrow than in anger' - when he gets ranty its clear he's losing it.
  • Options
    Is Bercow wearing a UKIP tie
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    dr_spyn said:

A stunt might be unravelling as I type.

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/834373338923487233

The full newspaer story is here:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/latest/Cumbrian-hospital-petition-not-allowed-to-be-presented-at-Downing-Street-5c3720cb-851d-491d-9d66-4f2291334b71-ds#.WK1-DZkWM4s.twitter

The story accepts that No 10 took the petition after some delay, but refused the petitioners access.

Presumably it now sits comfortably in the Downing st recycling bin.
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, if it's purple and yellow, it could be a Standing At The Back Dressed Stupidly And Looking Stupid Party tie.
  • Options

Fake news. PM confirms health petition was delivered and received by No 10 yesterday

If they turned up without an appointment they'd have been refused entry to Downing St by the policeman at the gate.

So either they left it with the policeman (and missed their photo op outside the big black door) or the MP involved left it with the PM's office later.

Job well done by the PM either way.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I must say that I do appreciate all the sterling work the News & Star has done to sure up Labour in the seat.

Pretty transparent, isn't it?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

justin124 said:

dr_spyn said:

So it's not all 'LibDem surge' then?
    No it is an anti May swing . She is poisonous to the Conservative vote .