Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Impressions from Cumbria: Labour will win if they can turn the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,696
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Impressions from Cumbria: Labour will win if they can turn their vote out

A wet and windy Saturday in Copeland is neither the time nor place to be wearing £250 brogues, as one volunteer reporting for duty in Egremont discovered (he was later spotted sporting rather less stylish but more functional off-white trainers).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    First :smiley:
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Second.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Very good article.
  • Options
    An excellent article. Labour is triangulating silently. As the Lib Dem and Conservative campaigns become more stridently anti and pro Brexit as polling day approaches Labour is entirely silent about the issue in it's literature. It's a high risk and high reward strategy. Given it's impossible situation on Brexit locally it's taken the least worst option and changed the subject. And what a subject Maternity Services at WCH are.

The fact that the facts around maternity at WCH are very complex and any downgrade will never be reversed by a future Labour government is neither here nor there. There is nothing more powerful in human experience than the desire to protect a child in danger and *everyone* locally understands instinctively what a night time journey in bad weather to Carlisle would be like. In essence Labour has finally found a response to the NHS pledge on the side of that bloody bus. It's not pretty and in many ways as dishonest but politics twas ever thus.

I will now doom the Labour campaign by saying I've backed them to win over the campaign as the odds have lengthened. I've been wrong about everything recently so this a harbnger of doom.
  • Options
    Fourth! Like UKIP in Copeland....
  • Options
    Great article & pithy metaphor: a brogues option for walking boot country
  • Options
    Mr Mundell rains on Mr Salmond's parade:

SCOTLAND will be taken out of Europe by Brexit even if there is a vote for independence, David Mundell will tell MSPs tomorrow. Attacking one of the main arguments for holding a second referendum before Brexit in 2019, the Scottish Secretary will say continuity EU membership is impossible.

Earlier this month, former First Minister Alex Salmond said there could be a referendum in 2018 to ensure “continuing uninterrupted membership of the European Economic Area”.

However in his opening statement to Holyrood’s European committee about Brexit, Mr Mundell will say: “I think it is important to be clear because there has been a lot of public debate on this point - that Scotland will not be in the EU at the end of this process.

“There is no set of circumstances in which Scotland could remain a member of the EU after the rest of the UK has left.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15105548.Mundell__even_Yes_vote_cannot_stop_Scotland_leaving_EU_under_Brexit/

Expect statement of bleedin obvious to provoke howls of outrage.....
  • Options
    Morning all & cheers Mr Herdson, is it Saturday already?

Copeland is a pretty little town, set in stunning scenery, but it really is a place that time forgot. I don’t think the news of national polling has quite reached it yet and so Labour’s 2,564 majority is safe imo.
  • Options
    On behalf of @Tories4Corbyn I would like to predict a narrow win for the Tories in Copeland and a close second in Stoke. Victories for Labour in either should be seen as a resounding endorsement for Comrade Corbyn, clearly on track to lead Labour to a majority government in 2020.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    "The rule of thumb for by-elections is that they exist to allow the electorate to give someone a largely cost-free kicking, and that usually it will be the government on the receiving end. There is no risk of any new government being formed so the desire to ‘send a message’ can be sated. The question in Copeland is which of two competing targets will be most kicked? Will it be the anti-nuclear and ineffective Corbyn or will it be the Tory government which, through whatever delivery mechanisms, has responsibility through the NHS for the local hospital?"

I have to ask the question, if Corbyn is so ineffective as a Leader, and therefore the Labour party as the main Opposition right now. How would contininuing to vote for a Labour MP in this seat either protect local maternity services from the risk of cuts as the Labour candidate claims, or protect and promote jobs in the nuclear sector in this rural area? Wouldn't the far bigger political upset of a Conservative gain give this rural seat far more clout with the incumbent Government in charge of both the NHS and Nuclear Energy policy in the run up to next GE in what surely would become a vital must hold ultra marginal seat?

I suppose my point is, why would you vote for the Labour candidate in this by-election to protect local health services when their party is so ineffective as an Opposition party that its current polling indicates that another GE would see a Conservative landslide?
  • Options
    Good to see a writer of Daisley's calibre more widely read.....no wonder the Nats hate him.....

https://twitter.com/JournoStephen/status/833651161613946880
  • Options
    fitalass said:

I suppose my point is, why would you vote for the Labour candidate in this by-election to protect local health services when their party is so ineffective as an Opposition party that its current polling indicates that another GE would see a Conservative landslide?

Logically you are right - elect a Tory & if Whitehaven is closed that's a guaranteed Tory loss in 2020. Elect Labour and all a closure does is proves Labour MPs can't deliver commitments.
  • Options

Earlier this month, former First Minister Alex Salmond said there could be a referendum in 2018 to ensure “continuing uninterrupted membership of the European Economic Area”.

I wonder if Salmond consulted with the same legal dept he used for the first referendum?
  • Options

SCOTLAND will be taken out of Europe by Brexit even if there is a vote for independence, David Mundell will tell MSPs tomorrow. Attacking one of the main arguments for holding a second referendum before Brexit in 2019, the Scottish Secretary will say continuity EU membership is impossible.

However in his opening statement to Holyrood’s European committee about Brexit, Mr Mundell will say: “I think it is important to be clear because there has been a lot of public debate on this point - that Scotland will not be in the EU at the end of this process.

“There is no set of circumstances in which Scotland could remain a member of the EU after the rest of the UK has left.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15105548.Mundell__even_Yes_vote_cannot_stop_Scotland_leaving_EU_under_Brexit/

Salmond is at it again!! So much for his claim he sought legal advice from the EU on an Independent Scotland's position on EU membership before the last Indy Referendum. Indeed, expect not only a statement of the bleeding obvious from the UK Government to provoke howls of outrage, but also clear statements from the EU to the effect that Scotland would still have to reapply to enter the EU as member state. Interestingly, Westminster should not step into block another Indy Ref, just delay it enough so that if Brexit sees EU nationals living in Scotland being given a vote, then so should those classed as Scottish expats living in both the UK and Europe.
  • Options

I wonder if Salmond consulted with the same legal dept he used for the first referendum?
    Youtube - Did Alex Salmond mislead viewers on Independent Scotland joining the EU?
  • Options

At least Nicola spends money on legal advice (which she could have got for free...)

The Scottish Government's Supreme Court intervention over Brexit cost more than £130,000, it has emerged.

The government spent £136,418 arguing that it should be given a say in negotiations over Britain's exit from the European Union, including £128,877 on external legal fees.

Judges unanimously dismissed the argument that devolved administrations should be consulted over Article 50.

https://stv.tv/news/politics/1381071-scottish-government-s-brexit-intervention-cost-136-000/

Unlike Salmond who spent tens of thousands trying to cover up the fact he hadn't got legal advice......
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,112

At least Nicola spends money on legal advice (which she could have got for free...)

The Scottish Government's Supreme Court intervention over Brexit cost more than £130,000, it has emerged.

The government spent £136,418 arguing that it should be given a say in negotiations over Britain's exit from the European Union, including £128,877 on external legal fees.

Judges unanimously dismissed the argument that devolved administrations should be consulted over Article 50.
    A mere rounding error in the DEexEU department's consultancy bill.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

fitalass said:

Logically you are right - elect a Tory & if Whitehaven is closed that's a guaranteed Tory loss in 2020. Elect Labour and all a closure does is proves Labour MPs can't deliver commitments.
    I have a wee bit of a personal/local anectodote on how important it is for any elected incumbent politician to fight for their own community, and despite their own party being in government when it comes to standing up for their local community by keeping something like a local rural maternity unit open. After moving to rural Aberdeendshire, I well remember the local constituency MSP, Libdem Mike Rumbles who fought hard and successfully to keep my local maternity Unit open while his party was in Coalition Government with Scottish Labour at Holyrood. Mike Rumbles subsequently lost his seat to the SNP in the 2011 Holyrood elections which saw a landslide SNP majority at Holyrood. Anyhoos, very quickly, and very quietly, our local maternity unit was closed. I actually googled both Mike Rumbles and his SNP successor on the issue of fighting to keep this maternity unit open, lets just say that his SNP successor didn't manage any major hits!!

I was lucky when I gave birth to my second child, we lived just 10/15 minutes away from the local maternity hospital in Aberdeen. But had I been living where I live now, I would have barely made it it time to make it to that local maternity Unit before it closed. So its not just a case of voting for a candidate that claims to want to protect your local health services, it had better be a local candidate that is in a position to back up their claims and can deliver even when their own party is in Government... For me, it was the defining moment when I realised that the SNP was a political cult, and therefore the overiding objective of Independence came before its locally elected politicians putting the needs of their local communities first. Sadly, it will take the central belt in Scotland a wee bit longer to understand this than it has the former heartlands of the SNP in the North East.

Coming from the North East, I find it very frustrating that the Oil&Gas Industry has funded the rest of the UK for so many years, yet now the SNP are determined to see that same area take the biggest hits in cuts to council spending, stamp duty, etc now the Oil&Gas industry is on its knees. Don't bank on the SNP winning in their former North East heartlands any time soon.

• Options
    @Fitalass You are quite right. In reality a Labour hold will doom the Maternity services and a Conservative gain offer a sliver of hope. Only a sliver mind you as Copeland is recommended for abolition. The problem is the ' Success Regime ' knows fine well that someone in Cumbrian NHS has to be left without a chair when the music stops. It suits far far too many people in Cumbria for that that to be WCH. Now that Carlisle has a Conservative MP with an increased majority and we have a Conservative government the clinical cases aligns with the political situation perfectly. Until this b***** by-election came along. Suicide bombing the Success Regime public consultation may well have been a factor in Reed's precise timing. Frankly a Conservative victory on Thursday and WCH having renewed political capital buggers the whole thing up.

But trying putting that argument on a leaflet. " Vote for us. We won't be able to close your hospital if you do but we definitely will if you don't. "
  • Options

Morning all & cheers Mr Herdson, is it Saturday already?

Copeland is a pretty little town, set in stunning scenery, but it really is a place that time forgot. I don’t think the news of national polling has quite reached it yet and so Labour’s 2,564 majority is safe imo.

Actually, it's still last Saturday rather than the next one. The time-lag is on account of my Cumbrian trip.

I don't think there is a town of Copeland, is there? It's a region, with the larger towns and villages including Whitehaven, Egremont, Frizington (one place where I was delivering leaflets), Seascale and Gosforth (where we stayed - Westlakes Hotel much recommended; excellent service).
  • Options
    fitalass said:

"The rule of thumb for by-elections is that they exist to allow the electorate to give someone a largely cost-free kicking, and that usually it will be the government on the receiving end. There is no risk of any new government being formed so the desire to ‘send a message’ can be sated. The question in Copeland is which of two competing targets will be most kicked? Will it be the anti-nuclear and ineffective Corbyn or will it be the Tory government which, through whatever delivery mechanisms, has responsibility through the NHS for the local hospital?"

I have to ask the question, if Corbyn is so ineffective as a Leader, and therefore the Labour party as the main Opposition right now. How would contininuing to vote for a Labour MP in this seat either protect local maternity services from the risk of cuts as the Labour candidate claims, or protect and promote jobs in the nuclear sector in this rural area? Wouldn't the far bigger political upset of a Conservative gain give this rural seat far more clout with the incumbent Government in charge of both the NHS and Nuclear Energy policy in the run up to next GE in what surely would become a vital must hold ultra marginal seat?

At the risk of writing Labour's lines for them, I guess the point would be that if they elect a Labour MP despite Corbyn's uselessness then it's a strong indicator of the strength of local feeling about the hospital and that the vote could carry over to a general election, where it would matter. Certainly, after the campaign that Labour's mounted, a decisive Con victory could easily be taken as assent to the downgrading of the hospital's functions.
  • Options

" Vote for us. We won't be able to close your hospital if you do but we definitely will if you don't. "

That's the nub of it. I suspect NHS Cumbria are praying for a Labour win so they can go about their business unmolested....
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited February 2017
    @david_herdson No there is no town of Copeland. Copeland is an obscure Forest in the district. When Whitehaven merged with outlying districts to form a single authority in the 1974 reorganisation it was used as a diplomatic way of not naming it after any of the towns and so upsetting all the others. One theory of the origin of Copeland is Kaup - land or ' bought ' land. It's in the part of Cumbria that didn't come into England till 1095.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

fitalass said:

Coming from the North East, I find it very frustrating that the Oil&Gas Industry has funded the rest of the UK for so many years, yet now the SNP are determined to see that same area take the biggest hits in cuts to council spending, stamp duty, etc now the Oil&Gas industry is on its knees. Don't bank on the SNP winning in their former North East heartlands any time soon.
    Even before the assumption of St Nicola it was observed that she'd pivot the SNP away from its traditional North East heartlands towards Labour's Central belt - which she has done, with devastating effectiveness. But I wonder if the unwinding of the SNP might start in the North East?
  • Options

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

Even before the assumption of St Nicola it was observed that she'd pivot the SNP away from its traditional North East heartlands towards Labour's Central belt - which she has done, with devastating effectiveness. But I wonder if the unwinding of the SNP might start in the North East?
    It's actually in the SNP's interests to do so. They need to keep Labour in third place (or lower). To do so, they need a reasonably strong (but not too strong) Conservative Party, which then provides an incentive for left-wing voters to keep backing the SNP. A pivot to the left, combined with a focus on the Central Belt therefore makes perfect sense. Letting go a little of the north east is a small price to pay for them.
  • Options
    @CarlottaVance And even the Maternity row helps the Success Regime in a way. The proposed reconfiguration is substantial and includes making permanent lots of stuff that's already happened. Even if the Maternity Unit was " saved " it would mean the rest of the package would go through under cover of the headline defeat. Then the Maternity issue would just return. The two core issues are #1 The Trust can't recruit at WCH. #2 WCH has the second lowest number of births in England. Less than half the number advised to offer critical mass to staff development/training/expertise etc.

Now of course the Geography of Cumbria doesn't care about any of that. But the idea this issue is going to go away in the light of the NHS budget over the next 20 years....

Then there is Moorside. One of Reed's last acts was a bizzare public spat with the ONS who published a projection showing Copeland continuing to depopulate. Reed argued they should have factored in the proposed 3 reactors. The ONS said they were just proposed. The subtext was the NHS configuration. The Trust will rub it's hands if Moorside is delayed as it validated their arguments re population size.

In some alternative fantasy world the By-election would have been a cool hard look at why one of the cheapest, prettiest and safest places to live in the UK is depopulating and it's entire economy is predicated on once every 40 year Nuclear Booms followed by 35 year busts. But that would be painful.

So we've had Brexit must mean Brexit vs They will kill your pregnant loved one.

We get the politics we deserve.
  • Options
    Trump Chooses H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser https://nyti.ms/2m1m3dc
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    That we are even having this conversation at all, is a dire commentary on the state of Corbyn's Labour Party. Under any other circumstances these are two easy holds with increased majorities, we should be discussing how much of the mortgage it's worth risking for a 5-10% return in a few days. The opposition losing seats to the government hasn't happened in over three decades at the height of Thatcherism, if this happens on Thursday then the wake-up call to Labour should be immediate.

Won't happen through, Jeremy's going nowhere, sadly for Labour - and for the need of a decent opposition to the government.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    Can I just thank David for this threader? It's well-written, clever, and has a clear central point.

PB has some writers that could bless national newspapers.

Oh, and SeanT. ;)
  • Options
    Yellow Submarine is right, "Copeland" means "bought land" and refers to some Louisiana purchase from prior to 1092 when William Rufus conquered / liberated Cumberland and some parts of Westmorland from the evil Scots.

The Labour leaflets seen of Guido over WCH look to have overstepped the boundary of decency and surely credibility. Although, by historic precedent here in Westmorland but also many times elsewhere for some people the NHS is no more than a modern replacement for Christian religion. The need to believe is so great that no rational analysis can ever take place and even if it did it would be beside the point. Belief transcends the facts.

Babies and at least two mothers have died in Cumbria. Just google the tragedy at Furness General. That is the driving force behind the proposed changes at WCH. There is a genuine wish to improve the service and a part of the concern is the less straight forward cases which could be better handled in a larger hospital. That is the dilema. The Labour leaflet is strictly accurate. Babies will die - if some transformation and reorganisation of the service is not undertaken then definitely babies will die as they are doing at present.

I am surprised the Labour candidate is allowed to comment in such an unguarded way. There will be terms in her employment contract which seek to discourage unbalanced comment in the media.

Finally, I get the impression that some of those who have ventured up to Copeland have only visited a small part of the constituency. If Whitehaven Town doesn't return Labour ...

But there is a lot of rural hinterland both to the north east and the east and south of the town.
    Con GAIN remains my view.
  • Options
    Apropos of nothing in particular:

Too many hospital services are “unsafe” and politicians must not “collude” to keep them open because they fear controversy over closures, a leading think tank has said.

NHS authorities are drawing up radical plans to reorganise services in a bid to save £22bn and cope with rising demand from an ageing population. Draft plans suggest this could result in the closure of 24 Accident & Emergency departments, with swingeing bed cuts.

The King’s Fund today urged politicians to back radical changes as “the best hope” of achieving essential reforms.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/21/politicians-must-not-collude-stop-closures-unsafe-hospital-services
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,901
    viewcode said:

...The Lords is far too big to be a revising chamber....

I'm sorry: there's a maximum size beyond which they lose the power to revise? Gravitational pull? Their hands get all tangled up? They turn into zombies? What?
    Not at all. It is decidedly unusual, but that doesn't speak to much,
  • Options

It'd be back In Within5 years
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Real candidate is the maternity unit, love it. 2 labour holds has to be value, it simply hasn't been seem as likely despite historic strength and good by election performances.

'That we are even discussing potential losses is down to awful corbyn ' will be as bad as it gets in these seats, even though he us awful.

Apart from anything else, local labour people in despair will know another ousting opportunity will come, but do they want to be stuck with a Tory mp until then?
  • Options
    From the BBC News online headlines, it seems the BBC is becoming the NBC: The NHS Broadcasting Corporation.

There has been headline after headline about the suspected and projected woes of the NHS. Today's is the result of a BBC 'analysis'.

I like the BBC. I get value from the licence fee. But this is getting faintly ridiculous. Is there really no other news going on in the country?
  • Options

Yellow Submarine is right, "Copeland" means "bought land" and refers to some Louisiana purchase from prior to 1092 when William Rufus conquered / liberated Cumberland and some parts of Westmorland from the evil Scots.

The Labour leaflets seen of Guido over WCH look to have overstepped the boundary of decency and surely credibility. Although, by historic precedent here in Westmorland but also many times elsewhere for some people the NHS is no more than a modern replacement for Christian religion. The need to believe is so great that no rational analysis can ever take place and even if it did it would be beside the point. Belief transcends the facts.

Babies and at least two mothers have died in Cumbria. Just google the tragedy at Furness General. That is the driving force behind the proposed changes at WCH. There is a genuine wish to improve the service and a part of the concern is the less straight forward cases which could be better handled in a larger hospital. That is the dilema. The Labour leaflet is strictly accurate. Babies will die - if some transformation and reorganisation of the service is not undertaken then definitely babies will die as they are doing at present.

I am surprised the Labour candidate is allowed to comment in such an unguarded way. There will be terms in her employment contract which seek to discourage unbalanced comment in the media.

Finally, I get the impression that some of those who have ventured up to Copeland have only visited a small part of the constituency. If Whitehaven Town doesn't return Labour ...

But there is a lot of rural hinterland both to the north east and the east and south of the town.
    Con GAIN remains my view.

I'm guessing that 'some' is a polite way of pointing the finger at me. Well, guilty, to a degree.

No, I didn't visit the inland hinterland beyond Frizington, though I did head all the way up the A595 so took in quite a lot of the constituency to the south. (I also didn't make it as far as Whitehaven, though my wife did). However, I did speak to quite a lot of people, both in the campaign team and 'real' people with votes. I agree that Con gain remains a realistic possibility but I'd stick by my view that 3/1 for the Labour double is very generous, and that the question for Labour is about getting its vote out. If it can, it should win. But can it?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

It's actually in the SNP's interests to do so. They need to keep Labour in third place (or lower). To do so, they need a reasonably strong (but not too strong) Conservative Party, which then provides an incentive for left-wing voters to keep backing the SNP. A pivot to the left, combined with a focus on the Central Belt therefore makes perfect sense. Letting go a little of the north east is a small price to pay for them.
    And thus the transformation of Scottish politics is completed. The SNP has got what it wanted: a semi-permanent position of dominance, from which to keep hammering away at the crumbling foundations of the Union.

The aim was never to displace the Conservatives as the opposition to Labour. It was to replace Labour as the opposition to the Conservatives. Job done.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It'd be back In Within5 years
    Only if it gets its budget deficit under control pretty promptly.....mind you, if the EU let the Greeks fib about their position, more fool them if they let another country....
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    what abut the REMAIN Lab vote and the Lib Dems hoovering up that vote, or is BREXIT just not featuring...just a thought as T Farron's a neighbour so their role is possibly crucial....
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,031

From the BBC News online headlines, it seems the BBC is becoming the NBC: The NHS Broadcasting Corporation.

There has been headline after headline about the suspected and projected woes of the NHS. Today's is the result of a BBC 'analysis'.

I like the BBC. I get value from the licence fee. But this is getting faintly ridiculous. Is there really no other news going on in the country?

Surely the NHS isn’t really in deficit. Really it’s underfunded as a result of there being (AFAIK anyway) no rational basis for assessing how much any given Trust or CCG actually needs to provide decent services.

Oh, and as far as ‘Cumbria’ is concerned, wasn’t it originally part of the Kingdom of Strathclyde, a Brythonic-speaking country? Doesn’t ‘Cumbria’ come from the same root as ‘Cymru’?
  • Options

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

the crumbling foundations of the Union.
    Which hasn't consistently shown up in polling......
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    Thanks David.

With a beautiful, sleepy black Cockapoo pup curled on my lap after his unbroken and dry night's sleep I am eminently relaxed about this by election.

Con gain Copeland....
  • Options

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

And thus the transformation of Scottish politics is completed. The SNP has got what it wanted: a semi-permanent position of dominance, from which to keep hammering away at the crumbling foundations of the Union.

The aim was never to displace the Conservatives as the opposition to Labour. It was to replace Labour as the opposition to the Conservatives. Job done.
    Surely the raison d’être of a Nationalist party is for the country to be self-governing/independent ........ if anywhere can be independent these days ........ and one can be a nationalist and ‘conservative' by inclination or nationalist and ‘progressive’. However once the primary goal has been achieved the amount of commonality is significantly reduced and the ‘Nationalist Party’ will split.
  • Options
    Super article by David Herdson, as so often. I'm on the Labour double but for those who understand the risks there's an even better value bet that involves only Copeland: buying Labour on Sporting Index in this constituency at 12.5 (where it sat before the market was suspended overnight). If you discount, as I do, any substantial possibility that Labour will finish outside the top two then this is effectively a bet on Labour to win at 5/1.
  • Options

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

once the primary goal has been achieved the amount of commonality is significantly reduced and the ‘Nationalist Party’ will split.
    Unlike the PAP in Singapore (57 years in power) or the ANC in South Africa (23 years).....beware hegemonies.....
  • Options
    Ladbrokes is open for business again: its website is back up if anyone wants to follow DH's advice and does not have a SpIn account like AM.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

Presumably this is still policy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/11338695/Ed-Miliband-said-he-wanted-to-weaponise-NHS-in-secret-meeting-with-BBC-executives.html
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    edited February 2017

Super article by David Herdson, as so often. I'm on the Labour double but for those who understand the risks there's an even better value bet that involves only Copeland: buying Labour on Sporting Index in this constituency at 12.5 (where it sat before the market was suspended overnight). If you discount, as I do, any substantial possibility that Labour will finish outside the top two then this is effectively a bet on Labour to win at 5/1.

Good spot Mr Meeks, thanks.

On a related note, similarly attractive odds on SPIN for the Stoke by election are attractive for Lib Dems and Tories - little downside risk rewarding possible 2nd places.... DYOR.
  • Options

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

once the primary goal has been achieved the amount of commonality is significantly reduced and the ‘Nationalist Party’ will split.
    Unlike the PAP in Singapore (57 years in power) or the ANC in South Africa (23 years).....beware hegemonies.....
    Is the PAP a ‘nationalist’ party nowadays? Must admit that’s one such which has successfully continually reinvented itself. It does have the advantage of success, though!
    Isn’t ANC showing it’s age, and splits are appearing?

And finally, I didn’t put a time frame on anything!
  • Options
    Report from Stoke:

It seems to me that although the traditional loyalty of many voters to Labour is dissolving, it is not melting away fast enough to hand victory to the Conservatives. If Nuttall flops on Thursday, he rather than Corbyn could well be the first victim of Stoke.

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2017/02/can-the-conservatives-win-in-stoke.html
  • Options
    That's insane, it had thousands of pre-orders. He'll just find another publisher (or do it himself) and milk yet more publicity for his 'banned' book.

If everyone ignored Milo he'd go away, he's only successful because he makes a certain group of liberals go completely nuts every time he opens his mouth!
  • Options

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

Is the PAP a ‘nationalist’ party nowadays? Must admit that’s one such which has successfully continually reinvented itself. It does have the advantage of success, though!
    Is that a polite way of saying 'Has aggressively pursued potential opponents through the courts'?
  • Options

Report from Stoke:

It seems to me that although the traditional loyalty of many voters to Labour is dissolving, it is not melting away fast enough to hand victory to the Conservatives. If Nuttall flops on Thursday, he rather than Corbyn could well be the first victim of Stoke.

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2017/02/can-the-conservatives-win-in-stoke.html

It will be ‘interesting’ to see how UKIP fares in the County Councils this May. They picked up quite a lot of seats, particularly in the East last time round; will they hold them this time and if they don’t, where will their vote go?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

Yet. Two trends have the potential to threaten the long-term viability of the Union.

(1) Demographics: Unionist sentiment in Scotland is disproportionately concentrated amongst older voters. Crudely, as they die off, will the following generation trend towards the status quo to take their places?
    (2) Scotland is not, of course, the only player in this situation. The English nationalist response to asymmetric devolution has barely begun. How far might it go?
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    yes, very good article, thank you for taking the time.

I believe Tories weren't favourites to win 2015 GE, even at midnight. Remain was still favourite at midnight on 23rd June. I think betters have got it wrong. It will be 2 Labour holds. I've been wrong before.

But for GE2020, it is the swing that counts, not who wins. if Tories can get a swing, however small versus Labour, then that is a success. Swing the other way, and Tories will know 2020 not yet in the bag.

There will be a swing towards Libs from Lab, no question. There will be a swing towards Lib from Tories. But, it is the Tory/Lab swing that matters, as only thse two can win the 2020 election...unless the world changes fundamentally.
  • Options

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

Yet. Two trends have the potential to threaten the long-term viability of the Union.

(1) Demographics: Unionist sentiment in Scotland is disproportionately concentrated amongst older voters. Crudely, as they die off, will the following generation trend towards the status quo to take their places?
    (2) Scotland is not, of course, the only player in this situation. The English nationalist response to asymmetric devolution has barely begun. How far might it go?
    Hasn't (1) been said of Tories for decades now?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

That's insane, it had thousands of pre-orders. He'll just find another publisher (or do it himself) and milk yet more publicity for his 'banned' book.

If everyone ignored Milo he'd go away, he's only successful because he makes a certain group of liberals go completely nuts every time he opens his mouth!
    Simon & Schuster is not a one book business.

There's a niche for a Russell Brand for spotty virgin white supremacists, it seems. That doesn't surprise me much, though it is a little sad.
  • Options

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

Surely the raison d’être of a Nationalist party is for the country to be self-governing/independent ........ if anywhere can be independent these days ........ and one can be a nationalist and ‘conservative' by inclination or nationalist and ‘progressive’. However once the primary goal has been achieved the amount of commonality is significantly reduced and the ‘Nationalist Party’ will split.

and of course, the real treat is that left wing SNP have stolen Labour votes and guaranteed a Tory Govt. We're loving the SNP.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The market is the market. When Milo was just a race-baiter he was an interesting commercial proposition. Being exposed as an apologist for paedophilia is a different matter, clearly. Right wingers have kids too.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2017
    O/T:

Population of Sweden reached 10 million a few weeks ago:

http://www.thelocal.se/20170120/swedens-population-reaches-historic-ten-million-milestone

Interesting IMO because it was hardly changing (relatively speaking) at between 8-9 million for about 30 years between 1970 and 2000.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Democrat sympathisers seems to be masters of falling for the Streisand Effect at the moment.

I think this is basically the point that Plato has been trying to regale us with, Trump is just £350m writ large. Say something outrageous or at least highly implausible and get the right-on press doing all your publicity for you as they rant about it, weather the initial fall out and reap the long term rewards of all the free publicity. Sure Trump will be very unpopular, like Farage is very unpopular, but Farage got what he wanted...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Democrat sympathisers seems to be masters of falling for the Streisand Effect at the moment.

I think this is basically the point that Plato has been trying to regale us with, Trump is just £350m writ large. Say something outrageous or at least highly implausible and get the right-on press doing all your publicity for you as they rant about it, weather the initial fall out and reap the long term rewards of all the free publicity. Sure Trump will be very unpopular, like Farage is very unpopular, but Farage got what he wanted...

So is your long-term forecast that sex between 13 year olds and adults will be legalised in the US?

• Options
    Dixie said:

I believe Tories weren't favourites to win 2015 GE, even at midnight. Remain was still favourite at midnight on 23rd June. I think betters have got it wrong. It will be 2 Labour holds. I've been wrong before.

But for GE2020, it is the swing that counts, not who wins. if Tories can get a swing, however small versus Labour, then that is a success. Swing the other way, and Tories will know 2020 not yet in the bag.

There will be a swing towards Libs from Lab, no question. There will be a swing towards Lib from Tories. But, it is the Tory/Lab swing that matters, as only thse two can win the 2020 election...unless the world changes fundamentally.

My hunch is that one of the seats will narrowly change hands, although I'm not sure which one it'll be and which party will be the beneficiary (if it's Stoke).
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Sandpit said:

The market is the market. When Milo was just a race-baiter he was an interesting commercial proposition. Being exposed as an apologist for paedophilia is a different matter, clearly. Right wingers have kids too.

I think this is absolutely true. I also think he will still get a massive bestseller. That's the way the world is sadly.
  • Options

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

Unionist sentiment in Scotland is disproportionately concentrated amongst older voters. Crudely, as they die off, will the following generation trend towards the status quo to take their places?
    That has been said of the Tories for decades......
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Pew Research
    A basic question when reading a poll: Does it include or exclude the 45% of adult Americans who didn’t cast a vote? https://t.co/wqgK054e95 https://t.co/JT0CptZwpm
  • Options

Sandpit said:

So is your long-term forecast that sex between 13 year olds and adults will be legalised in the US?

Idiot. My long term forecast is that the alt-right will get what they want in the US because the democrats and their supporters have lost their minds. Milo is a side show that is going to make a lot of money out of people being outraged about him, rather than ignored as he should be. He is going to present himself as a victim to the several million mouthbreathers on 4chan who will go and buy his book.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    dup.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    AndyJS said:

Dixie said:

My hunch is that one of the seats will narrowly change hands, although I'm not sure which one it'll be and which party will be the beneficiary (if it's Stoke).
    looking at the map, from the little I know of the area, Whitehaven and Workington should be solid Labour, but are they?
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    There was Bromsgrove in 1971 where it nearly happened, a Labour majority in 1970 of over 10, 000 cut to under 2,000
  • Options

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

Unionist sentiment in Scotland is disproportionately concentrated amongst older voters. Crudely, as they die off, will the following generation trend towards the status quo to take their places?
    That has been said of the Tories for decades......
    Different issue.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Dixie said:

You have extensive data and experience, so, as a Tory, I am glad you are saying that. I don't feel it from the party gossip, but hope you are right. As an example, CCHQ have stopped emailing me daily about doing daily calls to Copeland. Now, it could be that they are overwhelmed with supporters, or more likely they have spent their legal budget. Or, they have it in the bag. More likely, it's because they can't win it.

Anyway, a dream scenario would be a UKIP win in Stoke and swing but loss for the Tories in Copeland...just to keep Jezza in place. Could a Lib win?

Thanks, Andy, your info and analysis are always welcome.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Idiot. My long term forecast is that the alt-right will get what they want in the US because the democrats and their supporters have lost their minds. Milo is a side show that is going to make a lot of money out of people being outraged about him, rather than ignored as he should be. He is going to present himself as a victim to the several million mouthbreathers on 4chan who will go and buy his book.

What does the alt-right - of which Milo is a part - want?

• Options

Sandpit said:

There's a niche for a Russell Brand for spotty virgin white supremacists, it seems. That doesn't surprise me much, though it is a little sad.
    Clearly the publisher is being 'leaned on' by other authors and protesters, but they're now in a position where they still have people protesting yet they'll be handing the profits to a rival.

As noted by @AlsoIndigo, it's a classic case of the Streisand Effect. Most people hadn't heard of Milo until Twitter banned him.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Clearly the publisher is being 'leaned on' by other authors and protesters, but they're now in a position where they still have people protesting yet they'll be handing the profits to a rival.

As noted by @AlsoIndigo, it's a classic case of the Streisand Effect. Most people hadn't heard of Milo until Twitter banned him.

And who leaned on these people?

https://www.google.be/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/4676423/milo-yiannopoulos-cpac-2017-invitation-invite-rescinded/?source=dam
  • Options
    edited February 2017

AndyJS said:

Dixie said:

looking at the map, from the little I know of the area, Whitehaven and Workington should be solid Labour, but are they?
    Yes, the constituencies are very divided according to data I've seen from someone who's done research into how the individual wards vote. The towns themselves are very solid Labour and the countryside is good for the Tories. Whitehaven and Workington are probably 2 to 1 Labour over Tory, usually.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

How the hell should I know, I am not part of it. Do you think that endless posturing about idiots like Milo is an effective way for the Democrats to oppose Trump, or is it possible Trump people are tossing lots of interesting looking sweeties around for people to get outraged about, will he gets on with doing whatever he wants to do ?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

How the hell should I know, I am not part of it. Do you think that endless posturing about idiots like Milo is an effective way for the Democrats to oppose Trump, or is it possible Trump people are tossing lots of interesting looking sweeties around for people to get outraged about, will he gets on with doing whatever he wants to do ?

You are the one predicting they'll get what they want.

What did for Milo and his book was not the liberal left, but the market. Paedophilia is not a great look for an author targeting conservative readers. Capitalism works.

• Options

Sandpit said:

What did for Milo and his book was not the liberal left, but the market. Paedophilia is not a great look for an author targeting conservative readers. Capitalism works.

So you are predicting he is not going to get massive sales on his book ?
  • Options
    Comrade Len. This is a great thread:
    https://twitter.com/unite2017/status/833806231131320320
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Sandpit said:

My suspicion would be that the people in charge just want to make a load of cash.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Sandpit said:

Team Trump do seem to have an inexhaustible supply of dead cats to throw on the table.

Where are all these cats coming from? Is this the dark secret that connects Plato to the Donald? Where is investigative journalism when you need it?

And why is there a national question mark shortage?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

https://www.google.be/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/4676423/milo-yiannopoulos-cpac-2017-invitation-invite-rescinded/?source=dam
    They probably didn't want protesters setting fire to their venue, as happened at a university a couple of weeks ago. The 'paedophilia' comments were taken somewhat out of context, were said somewhat jokingly in his usual bombastic style.

I'm not one of Milo's supporters, I think he's an idiot but can amusingly see how he's becoming the latest hate figure for the liberal left in America - who should really be focussing their efforts on the politicians in power, rather than some jumped up anti-Russell Brand, as @AlistairMeeks described him.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

So you are predicting he is not going to get massive sales on his book ?

Massive? I doubt it. I am sure he will be picked up by a non-mainstream publisher and he'll do well; but he will not now get the career he might have been hoping for.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

They probably didn't want protesters setting fire to their venue, as happened at a university a couple of weeks ago. The 'paedophilia' comments were taken somewhat out of context, were said somewhat jokingly in his usual bombastic style.

I'm not one of Milo's supporters, I think he's an idiot but can amusingly see how he's becoming the latest hate figure for the liberal left in America - who should really be focussing their efforts on the politicians in power, rather than some jumped up anti-Russell Brand, as @AlistairMeeks described him.

They invited him knowing the attention he attracts. They withdrew the invite when he was exposed as an apologist for paedophiles.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I see South Sudan is now officially having a famine. Children are starving to death daily in a war-zone. The UN is appealing for funds but is getting not a lot.

It's unfortunate, but it's not fashionable. If only the kids with their protruding stomach and sores had the energy to travel the few thousand miles to Calais and demonstrate.

You can't expect the luvvies to go all the way to Africa to virtue-signal, surely? Not when the cameras are just across the Channel. Don't these dead and dying children know anything?
  • Options
    Dixie said:

AndyJS said:

Dixie said:

You have extensive data and experience, so, as a Tory, I am glad you are saying that. I don't feel it from the party gossip, but hope you are right. As an example, CCHQ have stopped emailing me daily about doing daily calls to Copeland. Now, it could be that they are overwhelmed with supporters, or more likely they have spent their legal budget. Or, they have it in the bag. More likely, it's because they can't win it.

Anyway, a dream scenario would be a UKIP win in Stoke and swing but loss for the Tories in Copeland...just to keep Jezza in place. Could a Lib win?

Interesting to hear they've stopped asking for support with calls.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Interesting article, Mr. Herdson. I don't live in the middle of nowhere (I could walk to Leeds and back in a day, and have time to buy some books and have dinner) but as a child often went on holiday to Wales or Devon. I agree entirely with your suggestion that sometimes people in big cities (particularly London, where such decisions tend to be made) simply don't get the infrastructure differences in rural areas.

Whilst I do think there's a case for centralising many health services, A&E and maternity wards would be the exception to this because of the critical time factor.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    CD13 said:

I see South Sudan is now officially having a famine. Children are starving to death daily in a war-zone. The UN is appealing for funds but is getting not a lot.

It's unfortunate, but it's not fashionable. If only the kids with their protruding stomach and sores had the energy to travel the few thousand miles to Calais and demonstrate.

You can't expect the luvvies to go all the way to Africa to virtue-signal, surely? Not when the cameras are just across the Channel. Don't these dead and dying children know anything?

It is possible to feel compassion for both.

But I see that you are devoid of virtue to signal, so are signalling the darkness of your soul instead.
  • Options
    Germany sides with Britain to stop €60bn divorce bill backlash

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fe40ded4-f7af-11e6-a6f0-cb4e831c1cc0
  • Options

Sandpit said:

But you can't ignore him. His fans - the Milobots - will continue posting his verbal diarrhoea around t'Internet, and his extreme fans will continue abusing people they don't like and generally being asshats.

The only way he will go away is by directly confronting his views and those of his supporters; agreeing with them when they have a point, and arguing strongly when he does not. Show he is wrong, as he mostly is (at least IMV).

Fortunately, he's a controversialist, and not a very good one at that. He'll burn a bright brown for a while and then fizzle out into the obscurity that he belongs, with only a few acolytes remaining around him. His own longing for fame via controversy will be his undoing.

Basically: I'm not sure he's intelligent enough to do it right.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    And a grenade is thrown - whole article is FU

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/02/19/exclusive-ted-malloch-the-fts-attempt-at-my-political-assassination/

"...Second, a week ago I sent an opinion editorial, an op-ed, to the Financial Times through a trusted friendly source on the ‘New US View on European Integration’. It was a candid piece that was overtly critical of the EU and its anti-Americanism. It went up to their top editors and I got a call from a, Peggy Hollinger, a senior editor, telling me they would not under any circumstances print it because it was contrary to their pro-EU policy.

I asked about contrary views or diversity of opinion. They did not like that and she went on to lecture me, a professor, for too many minutes on why Brexit is so bad and it needs to be reversed and is a huge mistake and smart people are against it and that the EU is the most perfect thing ever invented and how could anyone, let alone an American, possibly criticize it. She was excited, venting and irrational, so I said, thank you and I would find an alternative publication to print my piece. So be it, I thought.

Less than two days later and after the EU made demarches against my candidacy to the U.S. State Department (without avail) and a letter was circulated around the EU Parliament, calling me “malevolent” and saying I should be made, Persona Non Grata, PNG, a diplomatic phrase for not permitted in a country, I was sent a text and then received I believe seven phone calls from a fellow named, Henry Mance, a media writer, whatever that is, for the FT, demanding that I answer a series of questions about my background, immediately...
  • Options

CD13 said:

But I see that you are devoid of virtue to signal, so are signalling the darkness of your soul instead.
    I suspect they are looking for food and possibly clothing more than compassion at this moment.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Dixie said:

AndyJS said:

Dixie said:

Interesting to hear they've stopped asking for support with calls.
    Not facebooking me either, my usual bunch of Tories on Facebook have stopped asking everyone to help in Copeland.

Unless every element of Tory party have unsubscribed me (possible), I feel it might be over.

I will send a private message to facebookers and see what they say.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

CD13 said:

I suspect they are looking for food and possibly clothing more than compassion at this moment.
    Compassion is the motivator, but I agree is useless without action.

Famine follows in the wake of war, as so often. South Sudan is a beautiful country according to a friend of mine who goes there regularly on medical missionary work. The conflict between the warlords there followed on from the conflict with the Muslim government prior to succession.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

CD13 said:

He might also reflect on the fact that neighbouring countries, much poorer than the UK, have taken in enormous numbers of refugees.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

What a revolting thing to say. You should ashamed of yourself.
This discussion has been closed.