Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With so much free polling data available LAB is wasting member

124»

Comments

• Options

Dixie said:

Mr. Pulpstar, anyone who got on the blues at 51 will be feeling rather splendid. Although surely the Popebishop of Romebury will win?

Mr. Dixie, which part of Sweden? Just curious.

Mr. Pulpstar, anyone who got on the blues at 51 will be feeling rather splendid. Although surely the Popebishop of Romebury will win?

20 minutes outside Stockholm and Malmo his friends tell him.
    Interesting, since Stockholm and Malmo are about 4 hours apart?
    One of the issues in the Nordic countries is the big gap in employment rates between the native born and non-native born (something mercifully Britain does better at):

https://twitter.com/sunny_hundal/status/833715690708287491
    Amazing what a truncated axis does!
    A Lib Dem speciality, surely?
  • Options

ttps://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/833708865887809537

Is it the norm to allow Commons MPs in the House of Lords during a debate? - Et al.
    Privy Councillors are allowed in....
    I looked up the Standing Orders of the Lords, which don't address the matter - though I was amused to learn that some of the said Standing Orders date back to 1621. Ain't Parliament great?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044

PlatoSaid said:

kjh said:

PlatoSaid said:

Alinos
    @mkhammer Not the press's job to Trumpsplain to the public. Take his words and report on them. They don't need to see what's in his heart!

I'm sure I am being dim, but what does that mean?
    That the MSM pervert his words to mean what they want - in preference to reporting them.

The whole MSM tone is to insult him as stupid, and his voters. I've seen a dozen UK MSM claim he lied about a Swedish terrorist attack - he never said anything like this - but they're glorying in a strawman they made up to knock him.

He brought up Sweden to prod millions into Googling it. And yet again, it worked.

Anyone daft enough to believe what the MSM say is naive.
    Someone's doing the raping ;

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/02/we-should-practice-truth-statistics-even-when-it-hurts
    Interesting fact that I heard the other day. USA is the only country where the reported rape rate of males is higher than females. Apparently this is accounted for by the very high incarceration rate in the USA.
    A few years ago I read a report on American prisons, and the view of American prison officers was that prison rape was one of those things prisoners had to deal with. If they didn't want to get raped, they shouldn't commit crimes.
    It really isn't the potential year inside a Swedish prison that is worrying Assange :p
  • Options
    "In Great Britain, where Trump may not be extended the courtesy of an invitation to speak before both houses of Parliament, betting markets are seeing increasing action on the odds of Trump’s possible impeachment. "We’ve taken five times the amount of bets on him failing to see out his full term than on him doing so,” said Jessica Bridge, a spokesperson for Ladbrokes, a British betting market."

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-reality-promises-235198
  • Options
    edited February 2017

"In Great Britain, where Trump may not be extended the courtesy of an invitation to speak before both houses of Parliament, betting markets are seeing increasing action on the odds of Trump’s possible impeachment. "We’ve taken five times the amount of bets on him failing to see out his full term than on him doing so,” said Jessica Bridge, a spokesperson for Ladbrokes, a British betting market."

Fools & their money etc.

A classic case where people are betting on their prefferred outcome rather than the likely actual one.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited February 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Final weekend poster/billboard count from Stoke . Still very few posters up numbers seen

Lab circa 50
    LDem circa 20
    UKIP 2
    Anti UKIP 2
    Con 0

Interesting - was that all over, or were you mainly in the Hanley Park & Shelton ward/Penkhull (Which looks to me where the Lib Dem vote might be best)
    Not my own figures , cumulative figures from 3 Lib Dems up there this last weekend . I am personally surprised how few posters are up for Labour and UKIP .
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    edited February 2017
    Nigelb said:

kjh said:

PlatoSaid said:

kjh said:

PlatoSaid said:

Alinos
    @mkhammer Not the press's job to Trumpsplain to the public. Take his words and report on them. They don't need to see what's in his heart!

That the MSM pervert his words to mean what they want - in preference to reporting them.

The whole MSM tone is to insult him as stupid, and his voters. I've seen a dozen UK MSM claim he lied about a Swedish terrorist attack - he never said anything like this - but they're glorying in a strawman they made up to knock him.

He brought up Sweden to prod millions into Googling it. And yet again, it worked.

But surely it is the job of the media to report and interpret, not to print verbatim; they are not just taking minutes.

I heard what he said re Sweden. True he did not say a terrorist attack, but he did refer to what had just happened. An event that had just occurred while talking about the dangers of uncontroled immigation. What event was this then?

You say he brought up Sweden to prod millions into googling it. How do you know that and why?

You object to media interpreting what he is saying yet you are suggesting we are to interpret his meanings like you do or he is setting deliberate traps with his words that the left fall into.

Aren't there logical contradictions there.
    "You say he brought up Sweden to prod millions into googling it. How do you know that and why?"

Plato's injunction against mindreading obviously doesn't apply to herself.

It's also quite amusing, given the number of Trump supporters (Plato included ?) who've told us not to take his (weird) utterances >literally< to now be told that we should content ourselves with the media merely being presidential stenographers.

Equally puzzled by the Trump utterances was the Swedish government itself. Should they not be allowed an opinion either ?

I guess if you start from the assumption that Trump is omniscient, then it all makes sense....
    Plato is just a Breitbart troll and best not fed. Point out the logical flaws in her argument and she will just ignore you (or claim it's all part of Trumps genius master plan)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Is it the norm to allow Commons MPs in the House of Lords during a debate? - Et al.
    I looked up the Standing Orders of the Lords, which don't address the matter - though I was amused to learn that some of the said Standing Orders date back to 1621. Ain't Parliament great?
    Of course they don't. You should be looking at the Sitting Orders instead.

(I'll get my ermine-trimmed coat)
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    Charles said:

Of course they don't. You should be looking at the Sitting Orders instead.

(I'll get my ermine-trimmed coat)
    It's always amuses me that Income Tax is technically a temporary measure (its renewed every year at the state opening). And of course the process for MP resignations is gloriously quirky.
  • Options

Final weekend poster/billboard count from Stoke . Still very few posters up numbers seen

Lab circa 50
    LDem circa 20
    UKIP 2
    Anti UKIP 2
    Con 0

Is this a new way of electing MPs by the most visible posters?

What about the silent majority?
  • Options
    Just announced on PM that Steve Hewlett has died, which is a bummer.

His interviews with Eddie Mair about the progress of his cancer showed as much clear eyed, unruffled courage as any frontline war correspondent, not a hint of fake news or alternative facts there.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Any word on how many plane tickets wee pretendy Milo has coughed up for so far?

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/833648208249249793

He ain't wrong about Malmo...its a shit hole.
    Though the crime stats on here seem to indicate that the crime rate there is fairly unremarkeable by US standards. https://www.numbeo.com/crime/in/Malmo
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Pulpstar said:

Fools & their money etc.

A classic case where people are betting on their prefferred outcome rather than the likely actual one.
    "Amount of bets" not "amount of money". My impression was that with EUref and possibly also with Trump/Clinton that the winning bets were smaller but more numerous than the losers.
  • Options

Though the crime stats on here seem to indicate that the crime rate there is fairly unremarkeable by US standards. https://www.numbeo.com/crime/in/Malmo
    Yeah, but that's OBAMA'S USA!
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,929
    Pulpstar said:

Fools & their money etc.

You can lay Trump on betfair at 4.6 to go this year.
    And that excludes assassination.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,264
    I can't tell if Disney are preparing a remake of "How to serve man"

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/02/disney-room-scale-wireless-power-transfer/

Basically: they've developed technology that can fairly efficiently wirelessly charge multiple devices in a room.

Unfortunately it might also cook any human inhabitants. Still, only a minor issue. )
  • Options

His interviews with Eddie Mair about the progress of his cancer showed as much clear eyed, unruffled courage as any frontline war correspondent, not a hint of fake news or alternative facts there.

Sad news about Steve Hewlett, 58 is no age at all. – RIP.
  • Options
    What happens in Stoke if Nutall disqualified for giving incorrect home on nomination form?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

Fools & their money etc.

You can lay Trump on betfair at 4.6 to go this year.
    And that excludes assassination.
    Stonking. Have scooped the £60, thanks.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,320
    The Russian ambassador to the UN has died suddenly in New York.
  • Options

Bollocks.
  • Options

Lab circa 50
    LDem circa 20
    UKIP 2
    Anti UKIP 2
    Con 0

Don't be silly .It is a way of measuring local interest in the by election . Contrast with Witney and Richmond where there were hundreds of Lib Dem and Conservative/Zac posters up
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,219

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

PlatoSaid said:

kjh said:

PlatoSaid said:

Alinos

But surely it is the job of the media to report and interpret, not to print verbatim; they are not just taking minutes.

I heard what he said re Sweden. True he did not say a terrorist attack, but he did refer to what had just happened. An event that had just occurred while talking about the dangers of uncontroled immigation. What event was this then?

You say he brought up Sweden to prod millions into googling it. How do you know that and why?

You object to media interpreting what he is saying yet you are suggesting we are to interpret his meanings like you do or he is setting deliberate traps with his words that the left fall into.

"You say he brought up Sweden to prod millions into googling it. How do you know that and why?"

It's also quite amusing, given the number of Trump supporters (Plato included ?) who've told us not to take his (weird) utterances >literally< to now be told that we should content ourselves with the media merely being presidential stenographers.

Equally puzzled by the Trump utterances was the Swedish government itself. Should they not be allowed an opinion either ?

I guess if you start from the assumption that Trump is omniscient, then it all makes sense....
    Plato is just a Breitbart troll and best not fed. Point out the logical flaws in her argument and she will just ignore you (or claim it's all part of Trumps genius master plan)
    Plato can be a frustrating interlocutor, and is overfond of links to interminable video maunderings, but I think 'Breitbart troll' is slightly harsh.
  • Options

What happens in Stoke if Nutall disqualified for giving incorrect home on nomination form?

We have a new election with Professor Archbishop Sir Paul Nuttall, KCVO ineligible to stand.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Bollocks.
    Esophageal I believe
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130

Love it.

In all seriousness, though the Bercows of the world sometimes seem to think old traditions are somehow the most critical barrier to the public understanding or engaging with parliament and politicians, I think they lend it all a certain charm. If it does no harm and the alternative is no obvious improvement, why do things need changing simply because they are old?
  • Options

In Blackadder , even Baldrick managed to fill in his nomination papers correctly for the Dunny On The Wold by election .
  • Options

Lab circa 50
    LDem circa 20
    UKIP 2
    Anti UKIP 2
    Con 0

Don't be silly .It is a way of measuring local interest in the by election . Contrast with Witney and Richmond where there were hundreds of Lib Dem and Conservative/Zac posters up
    I think it does show a little bit of ground game, but is not so useful as a marker as it once was.

During the EUref I saw virtually no boards for anyone, and the 2015 election was the same. Both had pretty good turnouts.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029

We have a new election with Professor Archbishop Sir Paul Nuttall, KCVO ineligible to stand.
    Prince Archbishop, please. He's an elector in the HRE. :smiley:
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,219
    kle4 said:

Actually I've often thought that. Put a back on those cushions at least!
    Well you do come across an awful lot of cobblers there.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

PlatoSaid said:

kjh said:

PlatoSaid said:

Alinos

I'm only aware of two PBers who can be found over at Breitbart and Plato isn't one of those.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

crap........bomb shelters to the ready......
  • Options
    nunu said:

crap........bomb shelters to the ready......
    Calm down dear, Russia will not be bombing New York over Vitaly Churkin's early departure.
  • Options
    F1: Sauber unveils new car:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39027078

Quite like the colour scheme.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

What - even if he lost??
  • Options

What - even if he lost??
    No, in that instance he'd be barred from holding an elected office for three years.

If Labour do win, and those 'Vote Snell or go to hell' are deemed to have been an offence, we might get a re-run of the by election.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798

What - even if he lost??
    No, in that instance he'd be barred from holding an elected office for three years.

If Labour do win, and those 'Vote Snell or go to hell' are deemed to have been an offence, we might get a re-run of the by election.
    you should stand on an alternative facts platform

its your first step to becoming life dictator
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,563
    The Scottish sub sample referred to downthread is obvious nonsense. Labour on 20%? You are having a laugh.
  • Options

What - even if he lost??

First step to that is becoming Governor of Yorkshire.
  • Options
    Off topic, I cannot be the only one who thought the sad story of a threat by a senior official in Tanzania to list the names of suspected gay people a little odd in the write up, since it included the comment 'Tweeters accused him of homophobia'.

Well, duh - the piece says homosexual acts are illegal in Tanzania and people can face up to 30 years in prison for the 'crime'. Homophobic seems like the wrong accusation in a place where such attitudes are common enough you can face effectively life in prison for homosexual acts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-39026477
  • Options

What - even if he lost??

Gauleiter , governor's a bit too LibDem
  • Options

What - even if he lost??

Have you sent in papers for the Sheffield mayoralty ?
  • Options

Any news on how many refugees wee Nicky's housing yet ?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,131

F1: Sauber unveils new car:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39027078

Quite like the colour scheme.

Scarily lacking in sponsor logos though...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    edited February 2017

What - even if he lost??

But Donald Trump's former best mate, Alex Salmond, used Gauletier as an insult a while back, so Governor it is.

Has great Latin roots.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What - even if he lost??

Have you sent in papers for the Sheffield mayoralty ?
    Nope, the whole race has been delayed because a minor SNAFU in your part of the world.
  • Options

What - even if he lost??

But Donald Trump's former best mate, Alex Salmond, used Gauletier as an insult a while back, so Governor it is.

Has great Latin roots.
    rudder from memory

you should wear a Salmond insult with pride.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2017
    18.28 The Labour MP Daniel Zeichner, who represents Cambridge, says 9,000 people in his constituency have signed the petition saying Trump should not get a state visit. That is about one in 10 of his constituents, he says.

He says MPs must respond to concerns expressed on this scale.

Cambridge is an outward-looking, tolerant place, he says

Not tolerant of the views of the 63 million Americans who voted for Trump, though.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/feb/20/paul-nuttall-ukip-chairmen-quit-in-protest-over-paul-nuttalls-hillsborough-falsehoold-politics-live
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

I was there on holiday recently - we both liked it a lot. Like most places, it no doubt depends where you go and what you like, but it's certainly not uniformly unpleasant.
  • Options

I was there on holiday recently - we both liked it a lot. Like most places, it no doubt depends where you go and what you like, but it's certainly not uniformly unpleasant.
    Which parts should one avoid ?
  • Options

What - even if he lost??

Has great Latin roots.
    rudder from memory

you should wear a Salmond insult with pride.
    I always wear my Cybernat insults with pride.
  • Options

18.28 The Labour MP Daniel Zeichner, who represents Cambridge, says 9,000 people in his constituency have signed the petition saying Trump should not get a state visit. That is about one in 10 of his constituents, he says.

Not tolerant of the views of the 63 million Americans who voted for Trump, though.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/feb/20/paul-nuttall-ukip-chairmen-quit-in-protest-over-paul-nuttalls-hillsborough-falsehoold-politics-live

I don't think the state visit should be stopped - too embarrassing to withdraw, for one thing - but I don't quite see what that has to do with anything. The petition is about Trump getting a state visit, not being intolerant of the choice of 63 million americans to pick Trump as president. Does it say he shouldn't be president? Because that would be intolerant of the choice of those 63 million.
  • Options

Any news on how many refugees wee Nicky's housing yet ?
    That meme's a great new qualification for who goes on the numbnuts pile.
    Of course in most cases it's more confirmation that new information.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Pretty much every town has a part that is quite smart and a part to avoid. It is the nature of city life.

I was in Copenhagen for a conference recently and a number of my colleagues on a tight budget stayed in Malmo and came on the train for the conference as it was substantially cheaper. They seemed to like the arrangement.

I stayed in the Copenhagen red light district behind the railway station, which was fine, and neither hookers nor pimps were a hassle. Indeed it was all fairly Nordically above board, the only problems were a few local drunks. I rather liked Copenhagen.
  • Options

No other US president has received the honour of a state visit in his first year of office. Too late to withdraw it now, but giving him immediately what other US presidents have had to wait for makes no sense. He could and should have come on an official visit first.

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,850
    kle4 said:

I don't think the state visit should be stopped - too embarrassing to withdraw, for one thing - but I don't quite see what that has to do with anything. The petition is about Trump getting a state visit, not being intolerant of the choice of 63 million americans to pick Trump as president. Does it say he shouldn't be president? Because that would be intolerant of the choice of those 63 million.
    The idea that one of our greatest allies in the world would have their chosen representative not being given a generally red carpet treatment is so far from sanity it's ridiculous.

Labour have another complete clown to add to their extensive collection in Mr Zeichner it seems. I expect someone to tip him here as a potential next PM imminently.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    edited February 2017
    In the heart if darkness this evening - Brussels :-) It's a seedy town with a drainy kind of smell that says dodgy plumbing and hole in the ground toilets. It's also very empty: not many tourists around and soldiers on patrol at the stations. At least it's not Malmo, thank God.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,689

It's the Enda Kenny.
    Snorts.
  • Options

No other US president has received the honour of a state visit in his first year of office. Too late to withdraw it now, but giving him immediately what other US presidents have had to wait for makes no sense. He could and should have come on an official visit first.

No other US president received a Nobel peace prize so quickly as Obama

I guess its just good to be POTUS atm
  • Options

The UK is about to leave the EU - Extraordinary times, call for extraordinary measures.
  • Options
    @VicePresidentPence Message to @NATO members in Brussels. @POTUS & the American people expect our allies to keep their word and do more in our common defense.
  • Options

No other US president received a Nobel peace prize so quickly as Obama

I guess its just good to be POTUS atm

The Nobel committe made itself look ridiculous; the government has made the UK look ridiculous.

• Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,689
    weejonnie said:

RobD said:

Just noticed Theresa May sitting very near the throne in the Lords chamber!

Well when you have to go, you have to go.

I'll get my coat.
    Lol, Pb on form tonight!
  • Options

The UK is about to leave the EU - Extraordinary times, call for extraordinary measures.

The last month has shown that the US will not give us anything much to make up for our departure from the single market. If Mrs May had waited she'd have found that out.

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Dixie said:

20 minutes outside Stockholm and Malmo his friends tell him.
    So it's not just hearsay from an anonymous bloke on t'internet nor hearsay from his anonymous son who was visiting Sweden, it's hearsay from his anonymous son's anonymous friends in Sweden.

That's me convinced.
    Well I was in Stockholm last year and it was on the surface very normal. People walking around after dark with no obvious indication of any trouble at all. There were a large number of immigrants at the station being watched by the police. They seemed to be well behaved, and indeed well dressed and certainly not hungry. I didn't see any women or children, or older people. I think there is an untold story there, but none of my observations fitted the narrative that Sweden is being torn apart by badly behaved migrants. I am not sure I would want quite so many young men turning up in my town though, and Britain has a lot more capacity to absorb newcomers than Sweden has.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited February 2017
    History will not judge Obama harshly. Historians certainly do not judge Obama harshly, indeed this is recent assessment: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2017/02/17/Historians-rank-Obama-at-No-12-in-survey-of-greatest-US-presidents/7821487369055/

Worst President on race? Yes, Conservative White Americans don't tend to like Barack Obama. They are not the only demographic in America though.

Despite some PBers assessments of Obama, he left office with 68% approval rating, and polls such as PPP show that many Americans want him back after seeing the Trump administration unfold in these few weeks.

This discussion has been closed.