Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP Stoke Central odds odds fall sharply following the unrave

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP Stoke Central odds odds fall sharply following the unravelling of Nuttall’s Hillsborough claims

UKIP now down to 30% chance in Stoke Central on Betfair. Sharp fall following the unravelling of Nuttall's Hillsborough claims pic.twitter.com/M4LEyThH6S

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    edited February 2017
    "A local man for local issues. Look, here's a picture of a pothole..."
  • Options
    As your local UKIP MP" god he's not even the first to use such presumptive language.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    3rd like Nuttall, if he is lucky!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    "Paul will put pressure on the Council to... do what you want them to do."

Nothing like coherent campaign promises.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    "Ensure Stoke jobs go to Stoke workers"

Yeah, tell the people from Stafford to f*** off. ;)
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    FPT
    Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

Lib dem candidate for Copeland on bbc news... I'm a maths teacher and I've done the numbers labour has moved to the left the tories to the right.....

I feel nauseous

Tories should counter this balls meme of moving to the right. They're far less right wing than under Osborne.
    No more child refugees? Yeah it's practically hug a hoodie all over again!
    You mean the ones in France? A safe country. Those ones?

Not being a virtue signaller is different from being right wing.
  • Options

"A local man for local issues. Look, here's a picture of a pothole..."

He has learned from the worst: the pothole party have been doing well at by elections for decades...
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

Lib dem candidate for Copeland on bbc news... I'm a maths teacher and I've done the numbers labour has moved to the left the tories to the right.....

I feel nauseous

Tories should counter this balls meme of moving to the right. They're far less right wing than under Osborne.

Not really - right wingers just like to signal different virtues.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited February 2017
    UKIP odds, like Con Maj, Brexit & Trump are drifting... must be all over

Regular PB shrewdies cheering on the odds on shot that they want to win anyway! How early do we start patting ourselves on the back?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    edited February 2017
    SeanT said:

All three main UK parties are enjoying an incredible run of luck, the Tories in facing the crashing mess of Labour, their main rival, the SNP, in facing the facing the terminal mess of Labour, their main rival, and Labour, who should therefore be dead, actually surviving due to the inept crassness of UKIP, their main rival.

Arise, Sons of Cornwall, and seize the golden throne of London. It is our time, finally.

And shall Trewlaney die? Here's fifty thousand Cornish men/ Will know the reason why!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Right wingers are the masters of political correctness. Very easy to offend.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Local housing for local people, there's nothing for you here!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Here are the amendments tabled so far in the Lords to the EU Exit Bill - for debate at the Lords Committee stage.

Some may be withdrawn and some may not be pushed to a vote. But, as it currently stands, here is what is going to be debated (and potentially voted for) by Peers.

Also further amendments could still be added - Committee stage isn't until Mon 27 Feb. Second Reading comes first next week.

Of course Commons will almost certainly reverse any amendments and Labour leader in the Lords has just about said they wouldn't then push any amendment a second time.

https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2016-2017/0103/17103-RL.pdf
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

It's all context.

When talking about refugees, France is a fascist, post apocalyptic wasteland, where they sacrifice immigrants by burning them in wicker towers.

When we are talking about European integration, of culture, France is a shining beacon of liberty, intelligence etc etc.
  • Options
    Nuttall is worse than useless. What possesses someone to lie like that?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    edited February 2017
    Incidentally - a question for the Euronationalists.

What are you going to do about the fact that ever closer Union will break international law/treaties? Indeed it is arguable that it has already done so.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

How many refugeee children did Cooper and Sturgeon personally take in, then?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Here are the amendments tabled so far in the Lords to the EU Exit Bill - for debate at the Lords Committee stage.

Some may be withdrawn and some may not be pushed to a vote. But, as it currently stands, here is what is going to be debated (and potentially voted for) by Peers.

Also further amendments could still be added - Committee stage isn't until Mon 27 Feb. Second Reading comes first next week.

Of course Commons will almost certainly reverse any amendments and Labour leader in the Lords has just about said they wouldn't then push any amendment a second time.

https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2016-2017/0103/17103-RL.pdf

The same rubbish (by and large) that the commons chucked out. Difficult to see a different result.
  • Options

As your local UKIP MP" god he's not even the first to use such presumptive language.

So Nuttall is now local to Stoke, he is pretty much committed to fighting a Stoke seat in 2020, n'est ce pas?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Jonathan said:

He says someone else wrote it.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    Jonathan said:

It's kind of old fashioned. There was a time pre-internet, when everything was not recorded forever when it was possible to get away with this crap.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

No idea. They can't do so now because no more will be allowed in.

• Options
    The unemployment claimant count fell by over 40 thousand last month, which was itself 20 thousand lower than the previous month.

A few months ago it rose slightly causing some doom predictions:

' Claimant count and tax receipts are both good early warning signs for UK outlook and neither looks good. '

' However, there could be storm clouds gathering on the horizon. The claimant count – which in a quirk of the data is a more recent figure than the unemployment rate – jumped by 9,800 in October, with September’s figure revised upwards from 700 to 5,600. All in all, it does seem likely that unemployment could tick up somewhat during the coming months, though dire predictions made in the immediate aftermath of the vote appear wide of the mark. '

' The rise in the claimant count change - which is a fairer representation of the current environment as this data point covers the period until the end of last month - takes the shine off the good news at the very least and possibly even usurps it. '

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2016/nov/16/uk-unemployment-rate-wage-growth-earnings-brexit-business-live?page=with:block-582c2f09e4b090fc812816cc#block-582c2f09e4b090fc812816cc

Now that the claimant count is falling is it still a predictive factor or have some people lost interest in it as quickly as they lost interest in the stock market indices when they went up last summer ?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

It is astonishing how little attention this story has got. It's almost as if we did not have a working opposition at all.
  • Options
    isam said:

Regular PB shrewdies cheering on the odds on shot that they want to win anyway! How early do we start patting ourselves on the back?

Like Owen Wilson's* odds drifted in the lab leadership election? I don't think it's over but nuttals odds were to short, now they are a touch long perhaps?

*I've possibly got his name wrong but he was so memorable I can't think what the damm thing was.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Dumb argument anyway. I suspect Mortimer is in favour of Syria intervention, but is not making the trip any time soon.
  • Options
    What's Stephen Crabb up to at present ?

I miss his incisive thoughts on unemployment such as this:

' The threat of a potential vote to leave the EU in June could be partly to blame for the first rise in unemployment in seven months, the work and pensions secretary has warned.

Stephen Crabb said the latest labour report, which showed the unemployment total rose by 21,000 in the three months to February to 1.7 million, was a signal that the looming EU referendum vote was hitting the jobs market. '

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/apr/20/uk-unemployment-rises-and-pay-growth-falls

Unemployment is now below 1.6 million.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

A fair point.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Where does Trump find these bimbo spokeswomen. All peroxide blonds and as thick as shit. . I wonder what the world is making of America at the moment?
  • Options

MikeL said:

The same rubbish (by and large) that the commons chucked out. Difficult to see a different result.
    Lots of rather amusing London Lords there: Herne Hill, and Kentish Town.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Definitely untrue, there are stacks of charities crying out for foster homes for refugee children. google it.

But I am sure you are right that Cooper and Sturgeon's position would be that "we'd love to, but we're not going to."
  • Options

The unemployment claimant count fell by over 40 thousand last month, which was itself 20 thousand lower than the previous month.

' Claimant count and tax receipts are both good early warning signs for UK outlook and neither looks good. '

' However, there could be storm clouds gathering on the horizon. The claimant count – which in a quirk of the data is a more recent figure than the unemployment rate – jumped by 9,800 in October, with September’s figure revised upwards from 700 to 5,600. All in all, it does seem likely that unemployment could tick up somewhat during the coming months, though dire predictions made in the immediate aftermath of the vote appear wide of the mark. '

' The rise in the claimant count change - which is a fairer representation of the current environment as this data point covers the period until the end of last month - takes the shine off the good news at the very least and possibly even usurps it. '

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2016/nov/16/uk-unemployment-rate-wage-growth-earnings-brexit-business-live?page=with:block-582c2f09e4b090fc812816cc#block-582c2f09e4b090fc812816cc

Now that the claimant count is falling is it still a predictive factor or have some people lost interest in it as quickly as they lost interest in the stock market indices when they went up last summer ?

Today's figures were surprisingly good as there had been several indications that the increase in employment was petering out. Even better was the increase in wages. Did not stop R5 from allowing sundry people to warble on about wages falling in real terms this morning. I don't understand why such obvious errors are not immediately corrected. Real wage growth will continue to drive demand keeping GDP growth comfortably above the 1.5% I have bet with Robert.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Dumb argument anyway. I suspect Mortimer is in favour of Syria intervention, but is not making the trip any time soon.
    someone hasn't been reading their Speccy lately:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/08/year-nicola-sturgeon-refugees/

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Even if they are willing, it is not as simple to 'take in' refugees as finding any random person who says they are willing. People who think we can take in any number, and people who think being in France is apparently so awful one cannot claim asylum, are making things a bit simplistic, but this standard rebuttal of 'well have you taken any in?' is at the least just as simplistic and so unhelpful.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

It is astonishing how little attention this story has got. It's almost as if we did not have a working opposition at all.
    Local authorities are looking after record numbers of unaccompanied children. It costs £30-50,000 pa to look after an unaccompanied child.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Today's figures were surprisingly good as there had been several indications that the increase in employment was petering out. Even better was the increase in wages. Did not stop R5 from allowing sundry people to warble on about wages falling in real terms this morning. I don't understand why such obvious errors are not immediately corrected. Real wage growth will continue to drive demand keeping GDP growth comfortably above the 1.5% I have bet with Robert.
    They presumably can't afford Andrew Neil, who seems to be the only presenter readily able to deploy facts swiftly and correctly.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2017
    isam said:

What's your best guesstimate of the true odds?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Local authorities are looking after record numbers of unaccompanied children. It costs £30-50,000 pa to look after an unaccompanied child.

Sure, I completely understand why the government and the local authorities who had to do the work had limited enthusiasm. What surprises me is how little interest the media has shown in what was a fairly significant reverse ferret by the government.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

It's kind of old fashioned. There was a time pre-internet, when everything was not recorded forever when it was possible to get away with this crap.
    But does Nuttall actually believe it himself or realise its all made up ?

Has Nuttall faked any photos yet like James Parnell did ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Purnell#Faked_photograph
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Even if they are willing, it is not as simple to 'take in' refugees as finding any random person who says they are willing. People who think we can take in any number, and people who think being in France is apparently so awful one cannot claim asylum, are making things a bit simplistic, but this standard rebuttal of 'well have you taken any in?' is at the least just as simplistic and so unhelpful.
    Mortimer's stupid, puerile post wasn't worth any time to offer any kind of serious rebuttal.....

Kind of like my dad is bigger than yours, but less intelligent....

• Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Very expensive, but cheaper compared to the cost of not looking after them.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Do you not think that UKIP's seriously ludicrous members says something about their cause?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited February 2017
    Electing Paul Nuttall to the UKIP leadership over Sue Evans may prove to be a mistake.

PNWNBAMP
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

There was an interesting article in Saturday's Times about a journalist who had indeed taken in a refugee who was living in her spare room and by all accounts was a delightful fellow. She urged readers to do the same. I can't remember the name of the organization which sorted this all out i.e. matched refugees with people with spare rooms who wanted to do something to help.

But it is obviously possible and so it is probably fair to ask those who make a public issue of offering to do just this whether they have in fact done what this journalist had done.

• Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    tyson said:

Do you not think that UKIP's seriously ludicrous members says something about their cause?

Not quite sure what their cause is now. Probably nothing pleasant.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Very expensive, but cheaper compared to the cost of not looking after them.
    Certainly, but right now, taking in more unaccompanied children would mean crowding them into childrens' homes (at best) putting them out on the streets (at worst).
  • Options
    SeanT said:

All three main UK parties are enjoying an incredible run of luck, the Tories in facing the crashing mess of Labour, their main rival, the SNP, in facing the terminal mess of Labour, their main rival, and Labour, who should therefore be dead, actually surviving due to the inept crassness of UKIP, their main rival.

Labour are also lucky that the LDs have decided to define themselves as an extreme Europhile party, as a consequence of which the LDs have neutered their own appeal to most of the C2DE electorate disillusioned with Corbyn. A lot of the C2DE vote has decamped to the Conservatives for now. A lot of the shift won't stick there in the event that Corbyn goes. Had that vote decamped to a centrist party which became competitive across the board the prospect of wooing it back would be harder, and we could be facing a permanent realignment of UK politics.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Cyclefree said:

There was an interesting article in Saturday's Times about a journalist who had indeed taken in a refugee who was living in her spare room and by all accounts was a delightful fellow. She urged readers to do the same. I can't remember the name of the organization which sorted this all out i.e. matched refugees with people with spare rooms who wanted to do something to help.

But it is obviously possible and so it is probably fair to ask those who make a public issue of offering to do just this whether they have in fact done what this journalist had done.

It may be fair to follow up depending on how moralistic and forthright a public figure was at the time. But it isn't a simple issue, there may be good reasons, and most instances of the rebuttal are not, insofar as can be seen in most cases, taking into account any complexity or recognition that squatting in the home of a famous politician may not be the best place for all sorts of reasons, it is treated as a simple equation of they said they might (or would) and haven't. As you point out there may be cause for criticism or further question of specific individuals, but given the complexities that it would entail even if said person said they would do it and they meant it, you'll have to forgive me if I think it is not entirely fair on them to, in appearance at least, so flippantly shove their failure to do so in their face, as is usually the case, usually (and I accept not always) to score a cheap point or avoid a different point, at least without more justification.
  • Options
    http://www.roomforrefugees.com/

It is possible to help refugees in a practical, kindly and welcoming way.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

If the virtue signalling left didn't want an easy rebuttal they ought to have followed through on what they suggested:

• Options
    tyson said:

Well, when the member who is also the leader, it certainly doesn't look good.
    tyson said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Mortimer's stupid, puerile post wasn't worth any time to offer any kind of serious rebuttal.....

Kind of like my dad is bigger than yours, but less intelligent....

You are a well-heeled leftie living in Florence.

Florence is full of asylum-seekers.

None of these asylum-seekers have been welcomed into casa tyson.

Solution: shut down any enquiry into this situation by preemptively condemning it as puerile.

Job done.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Pong said:

isam said:

I thought 50/50 UKIP vs Labour, so tried to back Lab bigger than 1.95 and UKIP bigger than 2.2 to allow for my bias, and trade the others in small size

So far I have backed all 4 at 93.2%, but slightly underwater due to the Lab surge today

What do you reckon the true odds are?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

It may be fair to follow up depending on how moralistic and forthright a public figure was at the time. But it isn't a simple issue, there may be good reasons, and most instances of the rebuttal are not, insofar as can be seen in most cases, taking into account any complexity or recognition that squatting in the home of a famous politician may not be the best place for all sorts of reasons, it is treated as a simple equation of they said they might (or would) and haven't. As you point out there may be cause for criticism or further question of individuals, but given the difficult task that it would entail even if said person said they would do it and they meant it, you'll have to forgive me if I think it is not entirely fair on them to, in appearance at least, so flippantly shove in their face, as is usually the case.
    Flippant point scoring is silly. So is flippant moral grandstanding. If the former stops politicians doing so much of the latter I'm all for it.

More seriously, I think people are a bit fed up of politicians making all sorts of grandiose promises which have to be fulfilled by others without them ever putting their money where their mouths are, especially when there are so many ordinary people doing all sorts of things to help in practical ways without shouting about it loudly.

• Options
    Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

If the virtue signalling left didn't want an easy rebuttal they ought to have followed through on what they suggested:

Daft article.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

It may be fair to follow up depending on how moralistic and forthright a public figure was at the time. But it isn't a simple issue, there may be good reasons, and most instances of the rebuttal are not, insofar as can be seen in most cases, ...
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

It may be fair to follow up depending on how moralistic and forthright a public figure was at the time. But it isn't a simple issue, there may be good reasons, and most instances of the rebuttal are not, insofar as can be seen in most cases, taking into account any complexity or recognition that squatting in the home of a famous politician may not be the best place for all sorts of reasons, it is treated as a simple equation of they said they might (or would) and haven't. As you point out there may be cause for criticism or further question of specific individuals, but given the complexities that it would entail even if said person said they would do it and they meant it, you'll have to forgive me if I think it is not entirely fair on them to, in appearance at least, so flippantly shove their failure to do so in their face, as is usually the case, usually (and I accept not always) to score a cheap point or avoid a different point, at least without more justification.
    So politicians can signal their virtue because actually practically helping might be a teeensie but hard?

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Daft article.
    Oh, that's ok then. It's daft. It's puerile. IN THAT CASE virtue signalling should never be held to account.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987

Electing Paul Nuttall to the UKIP leadership over Sue Evans may prove to be a mistake.

PNWNBAMP

He would appeal to voters in the North (apparently).
  • Options
    tyson said:

What cause. The one thing they were supposed to be campaigning for they have won. After that they are a pointless party. Why should anyone vote for them?

Funnily enough at the same time the Lib Dems have moved from being a pointless party top a party with a point. It is just a shame that that point is so ludicrous.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Daft article.
    Oh, that's ok then. It's daft. It's puerile. IN THAT CASE virtue signalling should never be held to account.
    You're obsessed with virtue signalling. Wonder why that nasty little phrase excited you.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Flippant point scoring is silly. So is flippant moral grandstanding. If the former stops politicians doing so much of the latter I'm all for it.

Except of course it doesn't.

I'm not averse to a bit of flippant point scoring myself, we all do it on occasion, but that politicians (and luvvies) morally grandstand doesn't make the flippant points more worthy because both sides are being flippant. It's only my personal opinion of course, but personally I think some things don't really work very well as quick rebuttals, the refugee issue being one. Not least because to be effective different people who may have made the same or similar promises might have very different reasons it wasn't followed through on, and thus more or less justification (though where someone should be aware that complexity, and that other solutions might be better for all concerned, they should have known better than, say, some preaching luvvie)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,979
    Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Daft article.
    You're obsessed with virtue signalling. Wonder why that nasty little phrase excited you.
    Well it is interesting that they said they would do something and then never followed through on it. I wonder why they said they would do it in the first place, perhaps to score some cheap political points?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Daft article.
    What a puerile comment.

Because I'm a massive train nerd obviously.

Meanwhile, back outside of La La Land, why would they offer and not follow through if not to score cheap points?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

So politicians can signal their virtue because actually practically helping might be a teeensie but hard?

They can signal their virtues however they damn please. How much, if at all, they deserve criticism I simply think is more complex than flippant dismissal of the whole lot, yes given the practical realities and, and I keep making this point, recognition their grandstanding offer might not necessarily be in the best interests of anyone. An idiot who has made no effort to follow through or even help in some other way probably does deserve more stick for grandstanding. Someone who is helping in less personal ways may deserve some for attempting to score a political point by doing so, but clearly does not deserve to be dismissed in the same way as someone literally doing nothing. Someone who wanted to and could not for some reason clearly does not deserve any, but a 'how many have you housed [insert names here]?' would encompass them too.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2017
    isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

I thought 50/50 UKIP vs Labour, so tried to back Lab bigger than 1.95 and UKIP bigger than 2.2 to allow for my bias, and trade the others in small size

So far I have backed all 4 at 93.2%, but slightly underwater due to the Lab surge today

Sounds like you've traded ok.

For me the social media / hillsborough stuff is basically irrelevant in a ground campaign, so shouldn't really affect the odds. They're not the bombshells twitter thinks they are.

My sources on the ground (which are few and untested) think Farage would have had a 50/50 shot, but nuttall probably won't win.

Anyway, I have backed Lab @ >1.8. In the absence of a poll, I think Lab should be 1/3.

The Copeland UKIP lay was a nobrainer. I think @pulpstar flagged it up several times, to his credit.
  • Options
    What a goal from Robben. Looks like Arsenal are going to be put out by Bayern yet again.
  • Options
    Pong said:

isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

Sounds like you've traded ok.

For me the social media / hillsborough stuff is basically irrelevant in a ground campaign, so shouldn't really affect the odds. They're not the bombshells twitter thinks they are.

My sources on the ground (which are few and untested) think Farage would have had a 50/50 shot, but nuttall probably won't win.

I backed Lab @ >1.8. In the absence of a poll, I think Lab should be 1/3.

The Copeland UKIP lay was a nobrainer.
    Cheers! Well its so difficult to tell isnt it? The last three big events have had the obvious shortening to unbackable levels then losing. We shall see!
  • Options
    I must say, I am actually a fan of the phrase 'virtue signalling'. I think it can definitely be applied to people across the spectrum, and it gets applied too broadly, but like 'snowflake' I think it can capture a genuine action or reaction that can deserve criticism quite well in a way people understand.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

tyson said:

Not quite sure what their cause is now. Probably nothing pleasant.
    Tough on UKIP, tough on the causes of UKIP.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Daft article.
    What a puerile comment.

Meanwhile, back outside of La La Land, why would they offer and not follow through if not to score cheap points?
    Is that solid-state or semaphore virtue signalling ? If the latter, is it lower or upper quadrant? ;)
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Daft article.
    What a puerile comment.

You seem to be more excited at having a pop at the left than addressing the actual issue of refugees. I can't speak for any of them, but I can't condemn people for trying to promote the issue and for doing even a tiny thing that helps put a human face on refugees.

But you carry on. You have a pop at the so called left if it makes you feel better.
  • Options
    tyson said:

The same ought to be said for Labour?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Daft article.
    What a puerile comment.

Why would you keep banging on about it if not to score cheap political points? You're partly right it is annoying and some people should be called to account. Case proven.

Rather than squeaking "virtue signaller" ad infinitum like a spotty virgin in a sixth form debate try offering some ideas on what we can do, because frankly your coming across as a grade a bell end.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Daft article.
    What a puerile comment.

You seem to be more excited at having a pop at the left than addressing the actual issue of refugees. I can't speak for any of them, but I can't condemn people for trying to promote the issue and for doing even a tiny thing that helps put a human face on refugees.

But you carry on. You have a pop at the so called left if it makes you feel better.
    Right at the start I addressed this issue. They're in FRANCE.

Next!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Daft article.
    What a puerile comment.

Right at the start I addressed this issue. They're in FRANCE.

Next!
    Hmmm. Seemed to confused a clothes shop for argument.

M&S!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Daft article.
    What a puerile comment.

Why would you keep banging on about it if not to score cheap political points? You're partly right it is annoying and some people should be called to account. Case proven.

Rather than squeaking "virtue signaller" ad infinitum like a spotty virgin in a sixth form debate try offering some ideas on what we can do, because frankly your coming across as a grade a bell end.
    Forgive a private citizen for holding elected fools to account for cheap political points they tried to score?

Or should politicans who signal virtuously not be held to account because their signals are virtuous???
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Even if they are willing, it is not as simple to 'take in' refugees as finding any random person who says they are willing. People who think we can and so unhelpful.

Daft article.
    What a puerile comment.

Or should politicans who signal virtuously not be held to account because their signals are virtuous???
    He did say 'it is annoying and some people should be called to account'. So clearly he doesn't believe that.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Daft article.
    What a puerile comment.

Is that solid-state or semaphore virtue signalling ? If the latter, is it lower or upper quadrant? ;)
    Virtue Signal Passed at Danger - V-SPAD
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Daft article.
    What a puerile comment.

Virtue Signal Passed at Danger - V-SPAD
    Hehe
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Even if they are willing, it is not as simple to 'take in' refugees as finding any random person who says they are willing. People who think we can and so unhelpful.

Daft article.
    What a puerile comment.

He did say 'it is annoying and some people should be called to account'. So clearly he doesn't believe that.
    But then totally undermined his argument by using your instead of you're

:)
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Even if they are willing, it is not as claim asylum, are making things a bit simplistic, but this standard rebuttal of 'well have you taken any in?' is at the least just as simplistic and so unhelpful.

Daft article.
    What a puerile comment.

Forgive a private citizen for holding elected fools to account for cheap political points they tried to score?

No nonsense, speak truth to power virtue signalling.

• Options
    midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Daft article.
    What a puerile comment.

That's a bit rude, and more than a bit childish. Please explain simply and clearly and without resorting to potty-mouth name calling why it is OK for politicians to say they will do a thing, and then not to do it.

Thanks.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

What a goal from Robben. Looks like Arsenal are going to be put out by Bayern yet again.

It is genuinely uncanny :-D

• Options

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Even if they are willing, it is notsimplistic, but this standard rebuttal of 'well have you taken any in?' is at the least just as simplistic and so unhelpful.

Daft article.
    What a puerile comment.

No nonsense, speak truth to power virtue signalling.

Good spot. Seems so called virtue signalling is catching.
  • Options

DavidL said:

It is genuinely uncanny :-D

I know. I really should make money on it.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Can we have a Watergate type enquiry into Trump's team contact with Russia ? Alongside Brexit will keep everyone happy on here.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

Freggles said:

Mortimer said:

I feel nauseous

Daft article.
    What a puerile comment.

I 'keep banging on about it' (talk about something that the left doesn't like for half an hour on a thread) because certain partisan posters won't accept that there is something to be called out here.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

Yep - he's done that too ...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3040177/Ukip-education-spokesman-ridiculed-posing-manifesto-photo-FAKE-library-clutching-PICTURE-BOOK.html
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,979

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

Yep - he's done that too ...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3040177/Ukip-education-spokesman-ridiculed-posing-manifesto-photo-FAKE-library-clutching-PICTURE-BOOK.html
    At least he wasn't the one inserted in the image!
  • Options
    edited February 2017

I 'keep banging on about it' (talk about something that the left doesn't like for half an hour on a thread) because certain partisan posters won't accept that there is something to be called out here.

Yes I understand and agree partially but you're signalling your own virtues as a non virtue signaller by doing so and it's irritating because the right (of which I am one, albeit Cameroonian so ideologically impure obviously) aren't providing any solutions.

P.S. Apologies for the previous grammar faux pas.
  • Options
    One of the most instructive aspects of Labour's present problems is that after 50 years of cost free, socialism based virtue signalling, many of our (cultural) elite are unexpectedly faced with a leader who really wants to implement it. And suddenly we find that like in some higher degree of the mystery of socialist freemasonry, they were really fighting for their London penthouses, their villas in Tuscany, their lovely life in the South of France and, above all, a clear distance from the English working class.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Nah you just want to have a crack at ' the left' cos you don't like them. And you think this is a handy stick to have some fun with.

I suspect you don't give a toss about the issue or politicians' integrity. After all the latter is not an issue confined to the left as Nuttall ably demonstrates.
  • Options

One of the most instructive aspects of Labour's present problems is that after 50 years of cost free, socialism based virtue signalling, many of our (cultural) elite are unexpectedly faced with a leader who really wants to implement it. And suddenly we find that like in some higher degree of the mystery of socialist freemasonry, they were really fighting for their London penthouses, their villas in Tuscany, their lovely life in the South of France and, above all, a clear distance from the English working class.

What is this? Con Home or the Telegraph?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,793

Something I'm sure we've all wondered. Nicely summed up.

I wonder too if the Momentum movement is largely formed of the same people, but who haven't quite grown up sufficiently yet to understand what it is they're really after. As such Corbyn is a sort of Peter Pan figure.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Yes I understand and agree partially but you're signalling your own virtues as a non virtue signaller by doing so and it's irritating because the right (of which I am one, albeit Cameroonian so ideologically impure obviously) aren't providing any solutions.

P.S. Apologies for the previous grammar faux pas.
    :)

The modern world is fraught with pitfalls isn't it. I'm really not virtuous at all. As a PBTory we have a code of honour to uphold, and I wouldn't want to be signalling anything other than the Swanage railway. (If anyone hasn't been on it, you're missing out - and Sunil, it will this year be operating a regular, albeit trial period, timetable after being reconnected to the Waterloo-Weymouth mainline as a branch). I'm told there is a good bookshop at the Wareham end of the line, too...
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    SeanT said:

All three main UK parties are enjoying an incredible run of luck, the Tories in facing the crashing mess of Labour, their main rival, the SNP, in facing the facing the terminal mess of Labour, their main rival, and Labour, who should therefore be dead, actually surviving due to the inept crassness of UKIP, their main rival.

Arise, Sons of Cornwall, and seize the golden throne of London. It is our time, finally.

To Deptford and beyond ...
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    kle4 said:

I must say, I am actually a fan of the phrase 'virtue signalling'. I think it can definitely be applied to people across the spectrum, and it gets applied too broadly, but like 'snowflake' I think it can capture a genuine action or reaction that can deserve criticism quite well in a way people understand.

Virtue signalling definitely exists, but it seems to be just applied to all left wing views on here. In fact it is equally as common on the right. I would define it as holding a viewpoint because of the effect it has on your social reputation or persona, rather than having actually being particularly motivated by the issue itself (this can be either to seem 'progressive' or to deliberately seem contrary / edgy - a la Milo Yiannopoulos).

Same with Snowflake. It describes those who cry outrage at the slightest provocation. It's used now to mean anyone on who disagrees with a controversial statement. Prevalent on the left for sure - but you see just as many on the right (witness the 'outrage' over Budweiser's superbowl ad, or the list of companies that Trump supporters want boycotted).
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Nah you just want to have a crack at ' the left' cos you don't like them. And you think this is a handy stick to have some fun with.

I suspect you don't give a toss about the issue or politicians' integrity. After all the latter is not an issue confined to the left as Nuttall ably demonstrates.
    Keep on suspecting - you're wrong. I have no problem with the non-hypocritical left. I'm proud as punch that my party has understood that Osbornomics was too right wing.

And I'm not the one with a no turning right avatar.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    tyson said:

Yep, UKIP the bunch of misfits and malcontents that led us out of the EU, what could possibly go wrong!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    That's a bit rude, and more than a bit childish. Please explain simply and clearly and without resorting to potty-mouth name calling why it is OK for politicians to say they will do a thing, and then not to do it.

Thanks.

Don't be so po faced. If you read between the insults you'd have seen I don't think it's OK to say one thing and not follow it through, although to be honest if we judged most politicians by these lofty standards most would be found wanting I imagine.

As for potty mouthed name calling, he was getting on my nerves. I've apologised (for my grammar at least) and anyone who loves books can't be all bad I suppose.

Poxy block quotes... sorry a bit beyond me.

This discussion has been closed.