Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP Stoke Central odds odds fall sharply following the unrave

13»

Comments

• Options
    midwinter said:

isam said:

midwinter said:

isam said:

isam said:

Oh has it been proved he wasn't there? That is shocking
    Has he produced any witness to say he was there?

Haha it isn't for him to prove he was, it is for people to prove he wasn't! Good Lord politics does bring out the worst in people
    That's true but the trouble is when you've been caught out before either exaggerating or downright lying mud sticks. Surely you aren't that impressed with what you've seen so far from him?
    If it is proved that he wasn't at Hillsborough the day of the tragedy, then it's appalling from him and he should resign from politics. I would say if that was the case, he is probably mentally ill.

As for the other things, I can give him the benefit of the doubt. My Dad was a coach at West Ham academy for years.. was he a West Ham coach? Yes. Could some people get the wrong end of the stick and think he was boasting of being first team coach at West Ham? Probably
    Fair enough. Refreshing to get a straight answer.
    Totally agree. If it is proved he wasn't there he needs to resign from the election and as an MEP. However in the absence of proof he should be awarded the benefit of the doubt. I have no axe to grind as I do not support UKIP or Nuttall in anyway
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,097
    edited February 2017
    Scott_P said:
    "Lib Dem chief Tim Farron blasted: “It is worrying and quite serious as it seeks to persuade people on the basis of religious pressure rather than political opinion"

Tim Farron there explaining, after it has happened, what Enoch Powell predicted mass immigration would lead to. It was the prospect of this happening that inspired his most famous speech...

...and now it is happening.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    Scott_P said:
    That practice - claiming that it was a religious requirement to vote in a particular way - was found to be a breach of electoral law in the Tower Hamlets Lutfur Rahman case.

• Options

A word of caution. The local widely read rag, the sentinel, has only carried one article about all of Walter Mitty and the donald trump tribute act goings on and it was overwhelmingly about the later.

Also the big scandal they are running is the story of another candidate (an independent) who has been arrested on hate crimes based on what is on their website.

It does seem to be the most dreadful by election - Stoke deserves much better
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    That practice - claiming that it was a religious requirement to vote in a particular way - was found to be a breach of electoral law in the Tower Hamlets Lutfur Rahman case.

At this rate the lib dems could win by default.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

It makes you despair
  • Options
    midwinter said:

isam said:

midwinter said:

isam said:

isam said:

Haha it isn't for him to prove he was, it is for people to prove he wasn't! Good Lord politics does bring out the worst in people
    That's true but the trouble is when you've been caught out before either exaggerating or downright lying mud sticks. Surely you aren't that impressed with what you've seen so far from him?
    If it is proved that he wasn't at Hillsborough the day of the tragedy, then it's appalling from him and he should resign from politics. I would say if that was the case, he is probably mentally ill.

As for the other things, I can give him the benefit of the doubt. My Dad was a coach at West Ham academy for years.. was he a West Ham coach? Yes. Could some people get the wrong end of the stick and think he was boasting of being first team coach at West Ham? Probably
    No problem. I always say what I think, no spin!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,307

midwinter said:

isam said:

midwinter said:

isam said:

isam said:

Totally agree. If it is proved he wasn't there he needs to resign from the election and as an MEP. However in the absence of proof he should be awarded the benefit of the doubt. I have no axe to grind as I do not support UKIP or Nuttall in anyway
    In the interview when first said that the 'close personal friends' statement was wrong, he said this about being there: "I've got witnesses - people who would stand up in court and back me 100%." That doesn't sound like the answer of an honest man to me.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited February 2017

midwinter said:

isam said:

midwinter said:

isam said:

isam said:

In the interview when first said that the 'close personal friends' statement was wrong, he said this about being there: "I've got witnesses - people who would stand up in court and back me 100%." That doesn't sound like the answer of an honest man to me.
    I hope you aren't on the jury if I ever end up in court! It appears he has witnesses and evidence to back up his claims...must be guilty!!!!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    edited February 2017
    isam said:

Scott_P said:
    "Lib Dem chief Tim Farron blasted: “It is worrying and quite serious as it seeks to persuade people on the basis of religious pressure rather than political opinion"

Tim Farron there explaining, after it has happened, what Enoch Powell predicted mass immigration would lead to. It was the prospect of this happening that inspired his most famous speech...

Forget Powell.

It's potentially illegal and the Tower Hamlets case from a year or so ago helpfully sets out all the relevant law. Rather than wittering in public Farron should be getting his lawyers to write to the other parties and, in particular, those behind these statements.
  • Options

midwinter said:

isam said:

midwinter said:

isam said:

isam said:

I hope you aren't on the jury if I ever end up in court! It appears he has witnesses and evidence to back up his claims...must be guilty!!!!
    2.30 Ascot
    1 WilliamGlenn b
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

midwinter said:

isam said:

midwinter said:

isam said:

isam said:

If however he was there it vindicates what Sam said about it only being a story because itis ukip and will stink of double standards. Im no fan of Ukip either but the links posted from the Guardian earlier about his school and friend prove nothing. Just smears and insinuation. Either say he's lying and.prove it or shut up.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,233

It doesn't sound as if Theresa has had the right effect by her visit, refusing to engage with the local hospital downgrading:

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_58a440bae4b094a129f0a953

No, she sensibly stayed out of Labour's political games beyond supporting the Tory candidate Trudy Harrison's commitment to maternity services
  • Options

midwinter said:

isam said:

midwinter said:

isam said:

isam said:

Neither of us like Nuttall but if he was there as a child of 12 or 13 he would have witnessed an unimaginable horror. As I said before I have stood in that part of the ground at a packed semi final cup tie and it was terrifying but we were lucky. It would be best to give him the benefit of the doubt until or unless proven that he was not there
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    AP Politics Verified account
    @AP_Politics

BREAKING: In statement, Andrew Puzder says he's withdrawing his nomination for labor secretary.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,090
    Scott_P said:

they are relying on us to help keep them safe.

Aircraft carriers with no aircraft.
    It's the other way round. The UK has 7 x F-35 and 0 x QE Class.

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052

midwinter said:

isam said:

midwinter said:

isam said:

isam said:

Neither of us like Nuttall but if he was there as a child of 12 or 13 he would have witnessed an unimaginable horror. As I said before I have stood in that part of the ground at a packed semi final cup tie and it was terrifying but we were lucky. It would be best to give him the benefit of the doubt until or unless proven that he was not there
    I really would love to see UKIP win Stoke.... just to try and put some kind of stake through Corbyn......but Nuttall, he truly is a stupid donkey's bellend of the highest calibre with a spot of knobrot thrown in for good measure.

I didn't ever see the point of UKIP now....they never had a sensible idea, ever, once....now....they still do not have a sensible idea, yet the party still attracts some right dobdobs..
  • Options
    nunu said:

@AP_Politics

BREAKING: In statement, Andrew Puzder says he's withdrawing his nomination for labor secretary.

Where the "when did you stop beating your wife" type questioning is pertinent.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Trumpton Saga

More information to come, most likely around Trump associates but you are likely to see them reaching to Trump himself in due course.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

It doesn't sound as if Theresa has had the right effect by her visit, refusing to engage with the local hospital downgrading:

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_58a440bae4b094a129f0a953

https://twitter.com/youngvulgarian/status/831890773511647232
    The school she was visiting was in Bootle. It was built by a sea captain who came back from the Napoleonic wars and the locals helped him build it by carting the stone from local quarries to Bootle. It's rather a fine building. About 5 years ago the Council wanted to close it down and there was uproar at the posdible loss at one of the village amenities and it was saved.

Good on Mrs May for going there.
    She still looks a million miles better than Corbyn....Labour's problem.
  • Options
    Also, people tweeting the unflattering photos of Theresa May are basically mocking someone with a facial tic. So childish, you really should know better.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,950
    Y0kel said:

Trumpton Saga

More information to come, most likely around Trump associates but you are likely to see them reaching to Trump himself in due course.

Where do you think this is all going? Trump's impeachment? A re-run of the election to give Hillary another go?
  • Options

nunu said:

@AP_Politics

Where the "when did you stop beating your wife" type questioning is pertinent.
    She retracted that claim. Although many abused victims do that over fear.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,118
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

What a judgement that was. It was dispiriting to see how many still supported that crook.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2017
    What a cheerless and puritanical place London is becoming with lunchtime drinking on the wane.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Trumpton Saga

Trumpograd?
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    edited February 2017
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

would I be wrong in thinking that evangelical christians in the US also seek to persuade people on the basis of religious pressure?

I guess their grandparents might have been immigrants
  • Options
    edited February 2017

isam said:

Scott_P said:

would I be wrong in thinking that evangelical christians in the US also seek to persuade people on the basis of religious pressure?

You make a good point, that is almost exactly why Powell thought mass immigration would be such a bad idea; it would create a problem, evident in the US and pre partitioned India, that we didn't have. It's why he made the speech
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

You make a good point, that is almost exactly why Powell thought mass immigration would be such a bad idea; it would create a problem, evident in the US and pre partitioned India, that we didn't have. It's why he made the speech
    he barely mentions religion, apart from a bit about Sikhs. it's mostly about negroes, as far as I can tell
  • Options
    edited February 2017

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

he barely mentions religion, apart from a bit about Sikhs. it's mostly about negroes, as far as I can tell
    You need to read more carefully and more extensively
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

You need to read more carefully and more extensively
    you cited his most famous speech, there's nothing there
  • Options
    Nate Cohn Retweeted
    44m
    Rebecca Ballhaus‏ @rebeccaballhaus
    NEWS: U.S. intel officials have withheld sensitive intel from Trump out of concern it could be leaked or compromised

Who really runs things?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    GIN1138 said:

Y0kel said:

Trumpton Saga

Where do you think this is all going? Trump's impeachment? A re-run of the election to give Hillary another go?
    I don't claim to be a constitutional expert, but I think impeachment with replacement by Pence is far more likely than a re-run.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    MTimT said:

GIN1138 said:

Y0kel said:

Trumpton Saga

I don't claim to be a constitutional expert, but I think impeachment with replacement by Pence is far more likely than a re-run.
    Is there actually any mechanism for a re-run?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

isam said:

The Grauniad thinks the lie goes deeper:

Nuttall was 12 at the time of the disaster, and was a pupil at Savio high school in Bootle, Liverpool. One of his former teachers, a Roman Catholic priest, has told the Guardian that the school believed it had been aware of the identities of every boy who had been at Hillsborough in order to help them through a difficult period, and that Nuttall was not among them.

A fellow pupil at the school who says he has been a friend of Nuttall for decades said the Ukip leader had never mentioned being there. “I have been very good friends with Paul for over 25 years,” he said, adding that during that time they had “never spoken” about Hillsborough.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/10/ukip-leader-paul-nuttall-denies-lying-about-being-at-hillsborough-disaster

Perhaps he wasn't there, I wouldn't know. Your link is the original stick that poked the hornets nest though, it is a few days old, before "close personal friends"-gate
    Nuttalll has separately said that he watched it unfold from the upper tier of the Leppings Lane end (which was seated), and also that he was involved in the crush outside. He is clearly lying.
    There is proof he is lying about being there?
    There's proof that he's told multiple inconsistent versions so is at minimum an unreliable witness. When someone can't keep their story straight it's more likely that all of the versions are lies, than that only some of them are.
    There are more inconsistencies than the close friend/acquaintance thing?
    He's said, "I was involved in the crush outside," as well as, "from the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End, I watched the events of that day unfold."
    Those two are inconsistent? Wikipedia states there was a build-up of supporters between 2:30 and 2:40pm outside. It's possible he made his way in after this, but prior to the suspension of the match at 3:05pm.
    Highly unlikely. My understanding is that when the crush happened outside, police actions there to relieve that crush resulted in most of those outside at that stage surging through the tunnel into the lower part of the stand, causing the crush there. Not sure how he'd get from the outside crush to the upper stand. Furthermore, the worse part of the crush outside happened just before and after the match started, when those still outside could hear the cheers as the teams were introduced and then for kick off.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Since I've never voted Labour, there must be a special place in hell reserved for me.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

isam said:

The Grauniad thinks the lie goes deeper:

Nuttall was 12 at the time of the disaster, and was a pupil at Savio high school in Bootle, Liverpool. One of his former teachers, a Roman Catholic priest, has told the Guardian that the school believed it had been aware of the identities of every boy who had been at Hillsborough in order to help them through a difficult period, and that Nuttall was not among them.

A fellow pupil at the school who says he has been a friend of Nuttall for decades said the Ukip leader had never mentioned being there. “I have been very good friends with Paul for over 25 years,” he said, adding that during that time they had “never spoken” about Hillsborough.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/10/ukip-leader-paul-nuttall-denies-lying-about-being-at-hillsborough-disaster

Perhaps he wasn't there, I wouldn't know. Your link is the original stick that poked the hornets nest though, it is a few days old, before "close personal friends"-gate
    Nuttalll has separately said that he watched it unfold from the upper tier of the Leppings Lane end (which was seated), and also that he was involved in the crush outside. He is clearly lying.
    There is proof he is lying about being there?
    There's proof that he's told multiple inconsistent versions so is at minimum an unreliable witness. When someone can't keep their story straight it's more likely that all of the versions are lies, than that only some of them are.
    There are more inconsistencies than the close friend/acquaintance thing?
    He's said, "I was involved in the crush outside," as well as, "from the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End, I watched the events of that day unfold."
    Those two are inconsistent? Wikipedia states there was a build-up of supporters between 2:30 and 2:40pm outside. It's possible he made his way in after this, but prior to the suspension of the match at 3:05pm.
    Highly unlikely. My understanding is that when the crush happened outside, police actions there to relieve that crush resulted in most of those outside at that stage surging through the tunnel into the lower part of the stand, causing the crush there. Not sure how he'd get from the outside crush to the upper stand. Furthermore, the worse part of the crush outside happened just before and after the match started, when those still outside could hear the cheers as the teams were introduced and then for kick off.
    Ah, I suppose it all depends on what he meant by the crush outside.
  • Options
    New thread folks!
This discussion has been closed.