Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » By-election round up

13»

Comments

• Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

Essexit said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit hasn't happened. It's like counting the casualties in 1938.

More precisely, like counting them on the 9th May 1940.
    Only if you equate the vote with a declaration of war. As I say. Brexit hasn't happened yet. We have no idea what the impact will be. Not a clue.
    Remain in early June 2016: Voting Leave would definitely cause an immediate recession, don't do it.

Remain in late June 2016: Look how the pound and stock markets have fallen, this is a disaster already.

Remain in February 2017: Of course nothing has happened, we haven't left yet.

Sigh...
    to be fair, Dave said he would immediately trigger A50 after the referendum, then didn't. If he had, there might have been an immediate recession
    So we are to expect a recession in 4 weeks time when May triggers A50 ?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029

Essexit said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Only if you equate the vote with a declaration of war. As I say. Brexit hasn't happened yet. We have no idea what the impact will be. Not a clue.
    Remain in early June 2016: Voting Leave would definitely cause an immediate recession, don't do it.

Remain in late June 2016: Look how the pound and stock markets have fallen, this is a disaster already.

Sigh...
    to be fair, Dave said he would immediately trigger A50 after the referendum, then didn't. If he had, there might have been an immediate recession
    Supposedly! Surely it has to be priced in at this point :p
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    RobD said:

Essexit said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Sigh...
    Supposedly! Surely it has to be priced in at this point :p
    Yes. So possibly Mr May knew what she was doing after all. Gave the markets six months to adjust to the idea, for the flap to die down, and a lot of the bullshit to get debunked. Who knew ?
  • Options

Essexit said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Sigh...
    given the current state of world politics I wouldn't predict anything 4 weeks out. trump could be assassinated by a poison dart on his golf course by then
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2017

Essexit said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Sigh...
    given the current state of world politics I wouldn't predict anything 4 weeks out. trump could be assassinated by a poison dart on his golf course by then
    I really hope for your sake that this doesn't happen.

That specific method in the location you suggested on the timescale proposed.... would make your life a bit awkward.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Essexit said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Sigh...

That specific method in the location you suggested on the timescale proposed.... would make your life a bit awkward.
    Shit, I've blown it now! I am not in the pay of N.Korea and have not been to Malaysia. Just for the record :)
  • Options

Pong said:

Essexit said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Sigh...

Shit, I've blown it now! I am not in the pay of N.Korea and have not been to Malaysia. Just for the record :)
    but I guess I'm wide open now if they want to frame me for it
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Serious question: will Brexit have any serious negative effect on the British economy AT ALL?

The fall in sterling aside, and a slight rise in inflation (both arguably desirable) I can't see ANYTHING.

Yes yes I know, we've not Brexited yet. But the lack of apocalypse is still really quite striking.

It's not inconceivable that there might be a Brexit boom, particularly if the US over-regulates/ goes isolationist, and the EU continues to stagnate/integrate and suffers from political paralysis.

And precisely no-one will have seen it coming.

Our story is not yet told.
    There was a very unusual but striking analysis of Brexit in - if I remember correctly - some Israeli paper or magazine, a few weeks after the vote. I'd find the link but I'm fucking knackered after writing 4000 words of fiction today.

Anyway the gist was: pre Brexit we saw nothing but slow relative decline for the U.K. Just like all other EU nations. Comfortable, affluent, but definitely in gradual relative decline.

The author said he'd entirely changed his opinion after Brexit. Because he saw a country willing to take a massive risk. To go it alone. And that spirit of bravery and enterprise meant that decline was not inevitable at all. Britain could easily prosper, in quite unexpected ways.

At the time I dismissed it as being glib and ill-informed. I expected a Brexit recession to be honest. And lots of trouble.

Now I wonder if he will be proved right sooner rather than later. We shall see.
    I expected a hit. Not a huge one, but still some sort of hit.

But now? Output is moving up smartly, the current account deficit is falling, public borrowing is coming in below forecast. Maybe Brexit has just released some animal spirits.
    Plenty of Brexit doom on ITV News this evening, inflation up and concern over job losses if GM sells Vauxhall to PSA
    Inflation at 1.8% would have been considered an unimaginable success, when I was younger.
    Without inflation there is no justification for annual pay rises.

And annual pay rises were the method of distributing the increase in national wealth throughout the workforce.
    Don't you need around 2% inflation to ensure adequate growth in the money supply or some such?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,207
    This is a really interesting study into the economics of consumer 3D printing. While the stuff you can make at the moment with a home kit isn't particularly
    exciting, it indicated the potential for the technology to become mass market very quickly:
    https://phys.org/news/2017-02-major-d-household-items.html
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited February 2017
    I really don't like this. At all. Spooks and media collusion to bring down a democratic outcome.

"In an interview with the Daily Caller News Foundation conducted hours before his resignation, Flynn himself argued, "You call them leaks. It's a criminal act. This is a crime. It's not just a wink and a nod."

"One has to wonder: are they coming out of people in the National Security Council? Are they coming out of people in the intel community? Or State? Or Defense?" Flynn told the Daily Caller.

There is a reasonable case to be made that intelligence officials, whose job is to monitor people in other countries and who are prohibited from spying on Americans, are actively leaking sensitive information with the intentions of undermining the Trump administration. Indeed it is possible that anti-Trump forces in the government are guilty of exploiting their own power to undermine the White House...

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/who-is-spying-on-michael-flynn-and-why/article/2614821?custom_click=rss

And

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqMKCOlueyY
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

I really don't like this. At all. Spooks and media collusion to bring down a democratic outcome.

"In an interview with the Daily Caller News Foundation conducted hours before his resignation, Flynn himself argued, "You call them leaks. It's a criminal act. This is a crime. It's not just a wink and a nod."

"One has to wonder: are they coming out of people in the National Security Council? Are they coming out of people in the intel community? Or State? Or Defense?" Flynn told the Daily Caller.

There is a reasonable case to be made that intelligence officials, whose job is to monitor people in other countries and who are prohibited from spying on Americans, are actively leaking sensitive information with the intentions of undermining the Trump administration. Indeed it is possible that anti-Trump forces in the government are guilty of exploiting their own power to undermine the White House...

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/who-is-spying-on-michael-flynn-and-why/article/2614821?custom_click=rss

And

And what? And it was different when the leaks were directed against the Democrats? When the liberal-lefty MSM reported on Hillary's email server? When Flynn himself led chants of "lock her up"? When the FBI chief announced just before the election that they were taking another look at Hillary Clinton (which cleared her again)?

Where is the point of principle here?

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    edited February 2017
    PlatoSaid said:

And

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqMKCOlueyY

What laughable hypocrisy from someone who spent 3 months endlessly l copying and pasting extracts from Clinton's emails. And yet you continue to accuse others of "bias"
This discussion has been closed.