Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why on earth did LAB select a candidate for the Stoke by-elect

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,234

I'm sure Mike's correct on what they should have done but it'll be a real shame if the only people who can be elected to office are people end up being either mind-numbingly on-message from the age of eight or incapable of operating Twitter.

Or better choosing not to use Twitter. I can't personally see the appeal of continuously telling everyone what is going on in my life, its just not that exciting.

(Snip)
    An ex-colleague of Mrs J's would tweet everything. We'd go for lunch and he'd tweet a picture of the unremarkable food at a chain pub.

It's madness.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    isam said:

I think the effect of the Snell tweets, vulgar though they are, is being exaggerated. Will the good Labour WWC voters of Stoke really take a Guardian-approved view of his remarks?

If anything it'll endear him - gritty northern speak-yer-mind sense of humour. He's just acting how any northerner would when having to deal with the southern jessies.
    Careful. Thinking that all northerners will go for that stereotype will have people jumping down your throat... or not.
    It's not as controversial as thinking Stoke is in the North....
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Yorkcity said:

Jobabob said:

Yorkcity said:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

If ever there was an inevitable hammering in the works, which people generally think must have already happened but hasn't; Scottish Labour's upcoming shellacking must surely be it.

Weird to think they control Glasgow Council. You'll get long odds on them winning there this time.

Prepare for Union Jacks to be removed from official buildings as the nationalists capture Scotland's biggest city. Tick, tock, tick, tock...
    Good we are all nationalist now Unionism is a dying game in Scotland Ireland and Europe.
    Yes, good luck to the Scots. They should go for it, and any decent Englishman worth his salt should wish our neighbours and allies well.
    I do I wanted them to gain independence in ,2014.
    Fair enough. I'll admit I was wrong in 2014 and have since switched sides. Good luck to them.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Guardian dusting off the "Breaking News" banner for Nuttall's latest Hillsborough tales....
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    DearPB said:

I was disappointed to see that Mike failed to give us the important information about where the LDs came in the 2005 and 2010 elections.

Lib Dems were the runners up to the triumphant Labour candidate. Everybody knows that, which is presumably why Mike did not mention it. That was, of course, before we had the Coalition Government. Now the Lib Dems are out of that, perhaps the river will return to its normal course. Labour and Lib Dems in first and second place? Though not necessarily in that order, if the Lib Dem campaign is half as efficient as Mike thinks it is.
  • Options
    I have a feeling that those posters who don't normally paste from the Guardian will make an exception for this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/14/leave-voters-london-voted-remain-eu?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    edited February 2017
    Roger said:

On Topic Gareth Snell is a complete dud.

From his sexist abuse to calling his leader an IRA supporting Hamas sympathiser to being Hunts bag carrier with even more right wing views to calling Brexit a pile of shit.

Dud Dud fookin DUD

Brexit is a pile of shit....that means he can at least express himself more clearly than nearly all the shadow cabinet
    Didn't you hear the official Corbyn policy is the so called 0% strategy. Leave with open borders, a policy which upsets the whole Labour coalition rather than just half of them, such as going for either Remain, or Leave with immigration control might.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Stoke voters have to suffer Nuttall Snell and I Daniel Blake.

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/831499527676911617
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Whatever next? We find that professor nutall isnt even a scouser and an illegal immigrant to boot?

Who reads the Guardian and eats quinoa for breakfast with his Iraqi muslim wife.
    Who gives false details of his living arrangements claiming to live in a damp dank bedsit unable to afford any furniture...oh wait...
    Who dresses like a country squire from Worcestershire in tweeds and a daft hat. Oh wait...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,548

I'm sure Mike's correct on what they should have done but it'll be a real shame if the only people who can be elected to office are people end up being either mind-numbingly on-message from the age of eight or incapable of operating Twitter.

Or better choosing not to use Twitter. I can't personally see the appeal of continuously telling everyone what is going on in my life, its just not that exciting. I have had a Twitter account for ages, but just for news links and watching other people making fools of themselves, but I have never tweeted. Similarly Facebook is basically there for cat pics and family photos.

Its best to assume that anything you put on social media is public and permanent, and the future is uncertain so anything even borderline controversial could come back and haunt you. Personally I would be cautious about sending anything more than trivially controversial by email, most providers will hand over your correspondence in response to a lawyers letter without all that tedious business of getting a court order.

Social media must make life so boring for lawyers, you have half your divorce case evidence passed to you these days from the couples social media accounts.
    Not only is it a very popular communication tool, it is a necessary one for politicians. Even the Moggster has a twitter account.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Or better choosing not to use Twitter. I can't personally see the appeal of continuously telling everyone what is going on in my life, its just not that exciting. I have had a Twitter account for ages, but just for news links and watching other people making fools of themselves, but I have never tweeted. Similarly Facebook is basically there for cat pics and family photos.

Its best to assume that anything you put on social media is public and permanent, and the future is uncertain so anything even borderline controversial could come back and haunt you. Personally I would be cautious about sending anything more than trivially controversial by email, most providers will hand over your correspondence in response to a lawyers letter without all that tedious business of getting a court order.

Social media must make life so boring for lawyers, you have half your divorce case evidence passed to you these days from the couples social media accounts.
    Not only is it a very popular communication tool, it is a necessary one for politicians. Even the Moggster has a twitter account.
    MPs are professionals, and Twitter should be used as a tool.

Too often, tools end up using Twitter.
  • Options
    Mr. Topping, does he? I know there's a least one Mogg parody account.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    edited February 2017
    TOPPING said:

The single most important thing to do in any form of public communication is to listen to your audience. You will see the best performers paying attention to the audience, listening to them and responding - even while talking/performing. Ditto with barristers in court.

To communicate well you first need to listen.

I'd have thought that what is really necessary for politicians these days is to listen to voters. Not to tell us their "thoughts", if they can really be called that, via Twitter.

Personally - and having seen the amount of rubbish people post on chat and social media which illuminates very little and gets them into a whole heap of trouble - I think that a prolonged period of silence from most people would be welcome. 99% of what is in people's heads is not worth making public. And most of the rest is "duckspeak".
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,926
    Gareth Snell ‏@gareth_snell 10 Oct 2016
    More
    If Hillary doesn't get 330/340 votes in Electoral College, I'll eat my hat.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    A UKIP parish councillor has proved that Twitter is a source of outrage.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/darkies-should-be-deported-councillor-s-tweet-causes-outrage-online/story-30133260-detail/story.html

He has removed it, but the damage is done. The guy has had his membership suspended.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,096

I have a feeling that those posters who don't normally paste from the Guardian will make an exception for this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/14/leave-voters-london-voted-remain-eu?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

People should make every effort to use sources that wouldn't usually agree with them
  • Options

This is the latest type of Leftie virtual signalling isn't it? 'I voted Remain but appreciate Leavers aren't all necessarily horrid.'
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

It's also useful for analysis. You can pick up breaking news and insightful thoughts very quickly if you're following the right people.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

So you have to be snide about everything?

"I thought people might find this article interesting" would have done
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

isam said:

I think the effect of the Snell tweets, vulgar though they are, is being exaggerated. Will the good Labour WWC voters of Stoke really take a Guardian-approved view of his remarks?

If anything it'll endear him - gritty northern speak-yer-mind sense of humour. He's just acting how any northerner would when having to deal with the southern jessies.
    Careful. Thinking that all northerners will go for that stereotype will have people jumping down your throat... or not.
    Excuse my ignorance. I don't really know where anywhere is north or west of Watford!
  • Options
    In praise of Twitter - it was hearing news there that led to winning tips in Spain at the 2012 and 2016 Grands Prix (6 on Maldonado leading lap 1 and 251 on Verstappen winning the race).
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    PlatoSaid said:
    Thanks for posting that. I'll read it later when I've time.

I've more or less given up reading Labour sites. Labour's not interested in my vote, so no motivation for me to waste any time on them.

Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, Miss JGP.
  • Options
    First German poll I've seen giving SPD the lead ...
    https://twitter.com/danielberman2/status/831520590246846464
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Good afternoon, Miss JGP.

Thank you. I hope your new publication does well for you.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I don't think the article is very interesting (it leaps from non sequitur to non sequitur and woefully misuses polling research) but I appreciate that a large number of posters on here will see it as vindication of their position.

The general message that not all Leavers are feral scum is one I can subscribe to. The rest is dull padding.
  • Options
    On the subject of twitter, this is quite the tweet:

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/831468455413030912
  • Options

Charles said:

I don't think the article is very interesting (it leaps from non sequitur to non sequitur and woefully misuses polling research) but I appreciate that a large number of posters on here will see it as vindication of their position.

The general message that not all Leavers are feral scum is one I can subscribe to. The rest is dull padding.
    If it's not interesting why waste people's timing (and your own) posting it. You're capable of providing a more curated service than Scott'n'paste
  • Options
    Miss JGP, me too. I know some people only buy physical copies of books (and the price comparison might be a psychological spur, as the e-book is less than a third the price).

Got an anthology out tomorrow too :p

[Quite good at getting books out. It's just the selling them party that's tricky...].
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

If it's not interesting why waste people's timing (and your own) posting it. You're capable of providing a more curated service than Scott'n'paste
    Because it will be posted ad nauseam by others so we might as well get it out of the way nice and early.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050

First to show a left majority, too. What will the Express et al make of it if Angela is toppled from the left? Fortunately, there is a word...schadenfreude.
  • Options
    I suspect Nuttall's deception on Hillsborough will go down far worse than Snell's immature tweets.

The markets (and tipsters) agree:
    https://twitter.com/paulmotty/status/831519662961721346
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, indeed. Ist Merkel kaput?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,554
    isam said:

Danny565 said:

isam said:

Excuse my ignorance. I don't really know where anywhere is north or west of Watford!
    General rule of thumb - a true northerner thinks the north starts about 10 miles south of where he was born.

I recently read a book by someone from Shetland in which he quite happily delineated the north (of the world, admittedly) as beginning at 60 degrees north.

Stoke, though, is a moot point (like Grimsby). People from the south assume it's in the north because it's industrial and depressing. It's certainly not in the south. But according to Stuart MacConie, it's denizens don't particularly consider themselves northerners per se (but then again not really Midlanders either to any great degree of consensus. And they're certainly not southerners.)
    For planning and adminstrative purposes, Stoke is in the West Midlands.

While we're on about that sort of thing, I recently read a book by Matthew Engel in which he visited all the traditional counties of England in order to try to get some sense of what makes them distinctive: one of the qualities he distinguished about Staffordshire (which for these purposes includes both the Potteries and the Black Country) was ultra-parochialism, and a disproprtionate disdain for the adjacent town, which, to the outside observer, is almost indistinguishable both geographically and characteristically from this one.
  • Options

'St Valentine honeymoon blow for SNP with only 15pt rise on previous election'

https://twitter.com/WingsScotland/status/831489161324556289

If that poll is accurate (and Panelbase are a reputable company) then that would be devastating for Labour. For comparison, the Conservatives won 13% of first preferences in 2012 and returned 115 councillors. Labour won 394 at the same elections.

Now, I accept that transfer-friendliness plays a significant role in STV and you can't read over directly from one election to another. All the same, if Scottish Labour does poll 14%, it's looking at losing 60%+ of its council base in a single blow.
    The one proviso about that poll is independent candidates who took c.11% of the vote in 2012, though not sure how you question for them. Shouldn't make much difference to headline figs for main parties in relation to each other though.
    True. That fact may be the difference in a few councils between SNP winning overall control and being in a minority position. 47% should be enough to run quite a lot of councils outright (including Glasgow?). Add in 11% for Independents pro rata and it drops the SNP to 42-43%, which would still probably result in a few outright controls but rather more with them in largest-party status.

By contrast, if labour do poll 14%, they'll probably end up running none. Punch-drunk probably doesn't begin to describe how Scottish Labour would feel if that were the case, coming after the loss of 98% of their MPs in 2015 and then being reduced to third-party status in Holyrood last year.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

First to show a left majority, too. What will the Express et al make of it if Angela is toppled from the left? Fortunately, there is a word...schadenfreude.

It's amazing what a change of leader can do.

• Options
    dr_spyn said:

More fiction posing as reality...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Wonder if they'll follow up with the 6310 - ah for the days when a phone battery lasted a week between charges...
  • Options
    This is the north south line:
    http://brilliantmaps.com/england-north-south/
  • Options

I suspect Nuttall's deception on Hillsborough will go down far worse than Snell's immature tweets.

Nuttall was accused of not being there, now he says he has people who will stand up in court and say he was. That interview doesn't seem that bad to me. I laid 1.8 labour on the back of it, also laid Ukip at 2.02 today. Great market
  • Options

dixiedean said:

It's amazing what a change of leader can do.

Indeed.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543
    If anything I think this probably understates the swing. The SNP will be down in some areas, notably the north east where the Tories will do well, but Glasgow, oh boy. NSFW.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Patrick said:
    And every Cornishman knows the that North starts once you pass Exeter.
  • Options
    Patrick said:
    Broadly the Trent-Severn line. I agree. Wales should not be included however as it's a separate country within the UK.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    edited February 2017

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

New bet in light of looming Labour drama: Backed Clive Lewis 20 units @ 8-1 for next leader. Pressing up on earlier position.
    2:55 PM - 8 Feb 2017
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Patrick said:
    I very much enjoyed the episode of 'People Like Us' set in the solicitor's office in Alderley Edge, Cheshire, "which many refer to as the Surrey of the north. Apart from people who live in Sussex, for whom the Surrey of the north is Surrey."
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Patrick said:
    Broadly the Trent-Severn line. I agree. Wales should not be included however as it's a separate country within the UK.
    You could argue that the Trent at Nottingham is the hard border between north and south. Notts County FC in the Meadows and fully part of the English north. Forest in hardcore Remainer Tory Rushcliffe and the first club in the English south.
  • Options
    Motty has also laid out Labour in Copeland at 3.1 !
  • Options
    Patrick said:

All joking aside, an interesting map. But why on earth on a map on that scale and addressing those issues label Leigh-on-Sea? Or Tilehurst and Headington? And what is 'Town Center'?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Cookie said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

isam said:

General rule of thumb - a true northerner thinks the north starts about 10 miles south of where he was born.

I recently read a book by someone from Shetland in which he quite happily delineated the north (of the world, admittedly) as beginning at 60 degrees north.

Stoke, though, is a moot point (like Grimsby). People from the south assume it's in the north because it's industrial and depressing. It's certainly not in the south. But according to Stuart MacConie, it's denizens don't particularly consider themselves northerners per se (but then again not really Midlanders either to any great degree of consensus. And they're certainly not southerners.)

While we're on about that sort of thing, I recently read a book by Matthew Engel in which he visited all the traditional counties of England in order to try to get some sense of what makes them distinctive: one of the qualities he distinguished about Staffordshire (which for these purposes includes both the Potteries and the Black Country) was ultra-parochialism, and a disproprtionate disdain for the adjacent town, which, to the outside observer, is almost indistinguishable both geographically and characteristically from this one.
    Given the expectation of a further by-election in Leigh, I'd say that the same is true of that part of traditional Lancashire. I've friends from the small towns between Bolton and Wigan like Atherton, Leigh and Westhoughton who tell me many people there see Bolton and Wigan as the "big city" let alone Manchester or even London. One friend from Atherton married another college friend who was half-Sri Lankan from London. He said that her family were much more welcoming to him than he expected, because "at least you're not from Leigh".
  • Options
    Patrick said:
    I'm not sure you can include South Wales in the 'north'. Wales should be excluded IMO as it has its own geographical and cultural divides.

As an example, it takes far longer to travel by train between Cardiff and Holyhead than it does between London and Newcastle.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Patrick said:
    If you read the spiel the one factoid that stands out is the change in life expectancy north of the line.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,150
    "Sexist"? I think people need to think a bit more about what sexism is.

It necessarily involves some kind of generalisation about women (or men). Insulting a particular woman isn't sexist, any more than insulting a particular man is, even if one happens to mention the person's gender, or even the colour of their hair.

Maybe “squabbling sour-faced ladies” come closest, but would really unless there's an implication that women in general tend to be squabbling or sour-faced, where's the sexism? Would anyone complaining about a group of male panellists being "argumentative, dour blokes" be accused of sexism? Somehow I doubt it.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Patrick said:
    You could argue that the Trent at Nottingham is the hard border between north and south. Notts County FC in the Meadows and fully part of the English north. Forest in hardcore Remainer Tory Rushcliffe and the first club in the English south.
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Patrick said:
    No southerner (from London and the South-East, the South Central (Hants, Berks, Oxon) or the South-West) regards counties such as Leics and Lincs as southern. Even Northants is pushing it.
  • Options
    Patrick said:
    Does that put Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Shropshire in the North? Surely not.

• Options
    This is, however, much the best map of the UK:
    http://brilliantmaps.com/north-london-uk-stereotype/
  • Options

but appreciate Leavers aren't all necessarily horrid.'

Is this translated as 'a very small number of them may not [but could really] be'?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Patrick said:

My son is at Nottingham University and we went to visit him up there a few weeks back,. It was the North, no doubt :-) Mansfield is the grim North.

• Options
    Mr. rpjs, Lincolnshire's northern. Leicestershire is home of king-thieves.
  • Options

Patrick said:
    Does that put Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Shropshire in the North? Surely not.
    Read the explanatory spiel. Rather sound in my view.

• Options
    :)
    Cookie said:

MTimT said:

Patrick said:
    I very much enjoyed the episode of 'People Like Us' set in the solicitor's office in Alderley Edge, Cheshire, "which many refer to as the Surrey of the north. Apart from people who live in Sussex, for whom the Surrey of the north is Surrey."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2017
    Patrick said:

...although I'm not sure I understand 'depressed people who own ferrets' as a subset of 'the North'...
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Patrick said:

As a South Londoner I completely agree with that, except that I'd swap "London" and "Here Be Dragons"
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

isam said:

I think the effect of the Snell tweets, vulgar though they are, is being exaggerated.

Given the expectation of a further by-election in Leigh, I'd say that the same is true of that part of traditional Lancashire. I've friends from the small towns between Bolton and Wigan like Atherton, Leigh and Westhoughton who tell me many people there see Bolton and Wigan as the "big city" let alone Manchester or even London. One friend from Atherton married another college friend who was half-Sri Lankan from London. He said that her family were much more welcoming to him than he expected, because "at least you're not from Leigh".
    As someone from a small town between Wigan and Bolton, this is 100% accurate! When our kid signed up for 2 nights a week at
    Leigh Tech, the reaction was Well if you're sure it's safe.
  • Options
    Brother of North Korea's Supreme Leader dies after 'accidentally' falling ill.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-38971655
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    edited February 2017
    FPT

No Sunil - Voting REMAIN was the epitome of common sense. One does not get better trading with one's biggest markets by telling them to get lost!

Its just possible that 52% of the public didn't consider the short term economy to be the most important thing in their lives, even considering the bullshit of the treasury report and punishment budget. Yelling at them that their actions don't make economic sense wont get you very far.
    I am not yelling at anyone. Just pointing out the obvious virtue signalling.

Personally I am happy to wait a few years and see if I am right. I hope that I am wrong and that Brexit transforms the UK into a golden paradise - 1957 mkII -
    You do know the Treaty of Rome dates from 1957? The EU is a 1950s throwback :)

• Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Patrick said:

My son is at Nottingham University and we went to visit him up there a few weeks back,. It was the North, no doubt :-) Mansfield is the grim North.

I lived in Nottingham for years. Never felt like the north to me. The architecture, the light, the landscape, the voices were all, well, not northern. It feel churlish to complain of living too far south when it's only 50 miles south of my home town, but that's how it was. Though I agree once you're south of the Trent it feels significantly more southern.

And Mansfield is grim, but grim does not necessarily equal northern.

Chesterfield, however, does feel northern, to me, just about.

• Options
    Speaking of The North:

Sunil's Great British Railway Journeys - 2017 Edition (so far). Rail routes that Sunil has done for the first time - excludes journeys taken to reach said routes. Other routes were done for the first time in previous calendar years.

January: Doncaster to Hull via Selby, Chester to Warrington Bank Quay, Warrington Bank Quay to Newton-le-Willows, Bermondsey Dive-under (London Bridge to New Cross Gate), Hayes & Harlington "new" bay platform, Heathrow Airport junction new layout (slow tracks).

February: Sheffield to Lincoln, Swinton (Yorks.) to Fitzwilliam, Leeds to York, Doncaster to Cleethorpes, Heathrow Airport junction new layout (fast tracks), Guide Bridge to Rose Hill, Leeds to Skipton, Deansgate to Leyland, Preston to Blackpool North, Blackpool Tramway (Fleetwood Ferry to Starr Gate), Manchester Victoria to Mirfield via Brighouse, Leeds to Sowerby Bridge via Bradford Interchange, Manchester Victoria to Stalybridge, Manchester Victoria to Southport, Wigan Wallgate to Kirkby, Chinley to Ashburys (Manchester).
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    dr_spyn said:

Ever since the BAFTAs, I have been pondering over Ken Loach's speech attacking the Government for its assault on the vulnerable and disabled.

As I understand it, the Coalition replaced DLA (Disability Living Allowance) with PIPs (Personal Independence Payments), which in some cases has cut benefits dramatically for disabled people.

But "I Daniel Blake" (which I haven't seen) is not about PIP but about someone being assessed as medically fit for work. The system of Employment Support Allowance and the medical assessments that go with it was introduced by the Labour Government and the key minister in its introduction was James Purnell, who is now at the BBC.

There is a hatchet piece on Ken Loach in The Daily Mail on-line which claims that Loach received public funding for his film "The Wind That Shakes The Barley" when Purnell was Industry Minister and that Purnell praised the film.

Perhaps I'm getting this wrong but it does seemed two-faced of Ken Loach to attack the present Government without acknowledging what previous Governments have done.

• Options
    edited February 2017

TOPPING said:

It's also useful for analysis. You can pick up breaking news and insightful thoughts very quickly if you're following the right people.
    There was that very good article (posted on here IIRC) which said, in short, that the owners of twitter didn't really understand what its strengths were which are, as you say, a quick means of communicating rapidly evolving news or events, whereas they were trying to change it into some kind of facebook "like" fest.
  • Options
    Fake news prank http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/02/hah-russian-phone-pranksters-persuade-maxine-waters-russian-marionette-invaded-limpopo-video/#disqus_thread

"Yesterday well known Russian pair of phone pranksters, Vovan (Vladimir Kuznetsov) and Lexus (Alexei Stoliarov), placed a phone call to U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA) pretending to be Prime Minister Groisman They discussed another Russian aggression in state of Limpopo (made up name from well known Russian CHILDREN’s book) and installing Putin’s right hand marionette as its President by the name of Aibolit (another well known Russian CHILDREN’s book character, Dr. Aibolit and loosely translated play on a sound one makes when sick, Dr. OhItHurts!).

Maxine Waters agreed this Russian aggression must stop now! She offered help in overturning Limpopo’s new “dictator”.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    rpjs said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Patrick said:
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Patrick said:
    No southerner (from London and the South-East, the South Central (Hants, Berks, Oxon) or the South-West) regards counties such as Leics and Lincs as southern. Even Northants is pushing it.
    The line puts South and East Leics in the South (fitting for Market Harborough, Lutterworth, Quorn and Melton Mowbray). Leicester itself is just south of the line, but Loughborough and Coalville to the North. Sounds about right to me. Lincs south of Humberside is in the South too.

Parochialism is a strong feelining in most of Provincial England, people don't like being lumped in with the neighbouring town.

On topic @GillTroughton is a pretty squeaky clean twitter and Facebook feed.

The value is on Labour in Copeland, and laying UKIP in Stoke.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Patrick said:

As a South Londoner I completely agree with that, except that I'd swap "London" and "Here Be Dragons"
    So you broadly agree with the Italian food map view of Scotland:
    http://brilliantmaps.com/italian-food/
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Cookie said:

MTimT said:

Patrick said:
    It's a superb spoof documentary run. Loved it years ago on R4 and have dvds somewhere
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276

Speaking of The North:

Sunil's Great British Railway Journeys - 2017 Edition (so far). Rail routes that Sunil has done for the first time - excludes journeys taken to reach said routes. Other routes were done for the first time in previous calendar years.

January: Doncaster to Hull via Selby, Chester to Warrington Bank Quay, Warrington Bank Quay to Newton-le-Willows, Bermondsey Dive-under (London Bridge to New Cross Gate), Hayes & Harlington "new" bay platform, Heathrow Airport junction new layout (slow tracks).

February: Sheffield to Lincoln, Swinton (Yorks.) to Fitzwilliam, Leeds to York, Doncaster to Cleethorpes, Heathrow Airport junction new layout (fast tracks), Guide Bridge to Rose Hill, Leeds to Skipton, Deansgate to Leyland, Preston to Blackpool North, Blackpool Tramway (Fleetwood Ferry to Starr Gate), Manchester Victoria to Mirfield via Brighouse, Leeds to Sowerby Bridge via Bradford Interchange, Manchester Victoria to Stalybridge, Manchester Victoria to Southport, Wigan Wallgate to Kirkby, Chinley to Ashburys (Manchester).

Are you taking suggestions?
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Patrick said:

Lincs & Leics is the midlands. It is the East Midlands at that.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Patrick said:

I lived in Nottingham for years. Never felt like the north to me. The architecture, the light, the landscape, the voices were all, well, not northern. It feel churlish to complain of living too far south when it's only 50 miles south of my home town, but that's how it was. Though I agree once you're south of the Trent it feels significantly more southern.

Some of my family live in a village 'on-Trent'. So much so, in floods the Trent comes along the High Street. When it floods, are they northern or southern? ;)

Incidentally, my brother and sister were born in a house trapped between the River Trent and the Trent and Mersey Canal (which is undoubtedly northern). Does that make them Midlanders ?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    dr_spyn said:
    Lewis is still very much part of the Corbyn clique, his attempts to distance himself are so that they have two horses in the next leadership race.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, it's perfectly straightforward. He simply accidentally smashed his head into a paving stone whilst putting on a hat.

Miss M, quite. Reminds me of just before (or after, I forget) the 2010 General Election when a QT edition had Boris rightly ridiculing Labour's 'cruel Conservative cuts' line by retorting that the alternative was 'kind Labour cuts' (or words to that effect.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    PlatoSaid said:

Fake news prank http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/02/hah-russian-phone-pranksters-persuade-maxine-waters-russian-marionette-invaded-limpopo-video/#disqus_thread

"Yesterday well known Russian pair of phone pranksters, Vovan (Vladimir Kuznetsov) and Lexus (Alexei Stoliarov), placed a phone call to U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA) pretending to be Prime Minister Groisman They discussed another Russian aggression in state of Limpopo (made up name from well known Russian CHILDREN’s book) and installing Putin’s right hand marionette as its President by the name of Aibolit (another well known Russian CHILDREN’s book character, Dr. Aibolit and loosely translated play on a sound one makes when sick, Dr. OhItHurts!).

Maxine Waters agreed this Russian aggression must stop now! She offered help in overturning Limpopo’s new “dictator”.

The Limpopo river divides South Africa from Zim. It is a real province of South Africa, and rather beautiful bushveld.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Patrick said:

Some of my family live in a village 'on-Trent'. So much so, in floods the Trent comes along the High Street. When it floods, are they northern or southern? ;)

Incidentally, my brother and sister were born in a house trapped between the River Trent and the Trent and Mersey Canal (which is undoubtedly northern). Does that make them Midlanders ?
    I grew up near the Coventry-Kenilworth border. Always seemed better to be on the Coventry side as a rule to me ^_~
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Seth Mandel
    Fair point from @EliLake on why we should be a bit unnerved by the behavior of the deep state https://t.co/rFDvhazczJ https://t.co/DkyN55pIgs

The attacks on Flynn have set alarms ringing all over

From Bloomberg

“The Political Assassination of Michael Flynn,” by @EliLake
    https://t.co/Jm5Xfq45sT https://t.co/IfZWgwOH75
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

rpjs said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Patrick said:
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Patrick said:
    The line puts South and East Leics in the South (fitting for Market Harborough, Lutterworth, Quorn and Melton Mowbray). Leicester itself is just south of the line, but Loughborough and Coalville to the North. Sounds about right to me. Lincs south of Humberside is in the South too.

Parochialism is a strong feelining in most of Provincial England, people don't like being lumped in with the neighbouring town.

On topic @GillTroughton is a pretty squeaky clean twitter and Facebook feed.

The value is on Labour in Copeland, and laying UKIP in Stoke.
    I think of it as a line from the Severn to the Wash.

Industrial Wales is much more 'northern' in character than 'southern'. East Midlands too. Northants. is borderline but more north than south. Shropshire may seem rural and idyllic but has always had coal mining too ... and used to have lead mines

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2011/10/06/looking-down-on-telfords-opencast-mine/

Almost exactly half the population live above the line, but probably much more than half the wealth is to be found below the line.
  • Options
    And since I'm posting map links - you can see why we left the EU. We're on the dividing line of many of Europe's clear divides:
    https://atlasofprejudice.com/tearing-europe-apart-10d01e876eab#.6qzuz1ixj
  • Options
    Scrutinising Snell’s Twitter history?

What became of the old adage, what happens on twitter, stays on twitter…?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    edited February 2017
    wasd said:

Speaking of The North:

Ummmm.... kinda. But I'm actually trying to colour in as much of my Bradshaw's Guide Baker Atlas as possible :)
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    PlatoSaid said:

Seth Mandel
    Fair point from @EliLake on why we should be a bit unnerved by the behavior of the deep state https://t.co/rFDvhazczJ https://t.co/DkyN55pIgs

The attacks on Flynn have set alarms ringing all over

From Bloomberg

“The Political Assassination of Michael Flynn,” by @EliLake
    https://t.co/Jm5Xfq45sT https://t.co/IfZWgwOH75

If a large part of your campaign is that your opponent is cavalier with State secrets and lies about it, don't be surprised if people hold you to the same standard.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

The Limpopo river divides South Africa from Zim. It is a real province of South Africa, and rather beautiful bushveld.
    But the Limpopo itself is great, gray and greasy
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,150

PlatoSaid said:

Probably referring to the well known Russian children's author, Rudya Kiplinski.
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    edited February 2017

wasd said:

Speaking of The North:

Ummmm.... kinda. But I'm actually trying to colour in as much of my Bradshaw's Guide Baker Atlas as possible :)
    Jolly good. However, if you've not yet done it then...

Birmingham Int > Aberystwyth
    Aberystwyth > Devils Bridge > Aberystwyth (On what was BR's last steam railway and first privatization)
    Aberystwyth clifftop railway
    Aberystwyth > Civilization.

...would be a reasonable day out. Just try and avoid the start and end of term.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    rpjs said:

Patrick said:

My father was born just to the East of the City of London and when he and his new wife were re-housed after the war (having been bombed out) it was to Battersea and then Wandsworth. In his later years he told me that moving South of the River was the hardest thing he had ever done. To his dying day he maintained that the North began at the Clerkenwell Road.

I have never been quite such a London extremist but I swear if you blindfold a London born person and drop them into North or South London they will be able to tell you which side of the river they are on within thirty seconds of having the blindfold removed.
  • Options
    Chris said:

PlatoSaid said:

Probably referring to the well known Russian children's author, Rudya Kiplinski.
    He does make exceedingly good vatrushka.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

And since I'm posting map links - you can see why we left the EU. We're on the dividing line of many of Europe's clear divides:
    https://atlasofprejudice.com/tearing-europe-apart-10d01e876eab#.6qzuz1ixj

very interesting - but not sure Ireland is an irreligious, protestant country. And I'd put Iceland in the vodka belt. Beer was only legalised in 1988!

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

wasd said:

Speaking of The North:

Have you actually got a copy of Bradshaw's, Cap'n Doc?
  • Options

wasd said:

Speaking of The North:

Skipton to Appleby these next two days is to be recommended.
  • Options
    wasd said:

wasd said:

Speaking of The North:

Jolly good. However, if you've not yet done it then...

Birmingham Int > Aberystwyth
    Aberystwyth > Devils Bridge > Aberystwyth (On what was BR's last steam railway and first privatization)
    Aberystwyth clifftop railway
    Aberystwyth > Civilization.

...would be a reasonable day out. Just try and avoid the start and end of terms.
    Yep, always wanted to Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth! Lengthening days may mean I could be able tio squueze in the Vale of Rheidol line to Devil's Bridge. I did Birmingham to Shrewsbury in 2014, Shrewsbury to Crewe and Shrewsbury to Hereford in 2015, and Shrewbury to Chester via Wrexham in 2016.
  • Options
    SandraM said:

dr_spyn said:

Ever since the BAFTAs, I have been pondering over Ken Loach's speech attacking the Government for its assault on the vulnerable and disabled.

As I understand it, the Coalition replaced DLA (Disability Living Allowance) with PIPs (Personal Independence Payments), which in some cases has cut benefits dramatically for disabled people.

But "I Daniel Blake" (which I haven't seen) is not about PIP but about someone being assessed as medically fit for work. The system of Employment Support Allowance and the medical assessments that go with it was introduced by the Labour Government and the key minister in its introduction was James Purnell, who is now at the BBC.

There is a hatchet piece on Ken Loach in The Daily Mail on-line which claims that Loach received public funding for his film "The Wind That Shakes The Barley" when Purnell was Industry Minister and that Purnell praised the film.

Perhaps I'm getting this wrong but it does seemed two-faced of Ken Loach to attack the present Government without acknowledging what previous Governments have done.

Don't worry Loach hates the Blair/Brown government as much as Tories.
  • Options

wasd said:

Speaking of The North:

Skipton to Appleby these next two days is to be recommended.
    Second week in June for Appleby...
This discussion has been closed.