Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why on earth did LAB select a candidate for the Stoke by-elect

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why on earth did LAB select a candidate for the Stoke by-election without fully scrutinising his Twitter history?

Now LAB's Stoke byelection candidate gets into trouble for offensive tweets aimed at women. Good for LDs? https://t.co/9JBN21pP0x

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    1st.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    'After Diane Abbott, the shadow home secretary, appeared on BBC’s Question Time, Snell tweeted: “Diane, you are great, then you say something incredibly arsingly stupid.”.. '

The first part of this comment is probably more damaging than the second part.
  • Options
    I have an even better idea - just stay away from Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, etc altogether. Mostly for arseclowns.
  • Options
    4th, like Snell
  • Options
    FPT: @isam Found it - @Midlandrob Has them as a 30% chance. If I was making that assessment I'd be laying out around £500 to win £30k I think. I think this is somewhat an overestimate.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    Sorry that I missed the Hilary Benn thread yesterday. I agree with Don.

(Says the member of Leeds Central CLP!)

More on topic, Linfit Brewery produce Janet Street Porter.

http://www.pintley.com/beer/Janet-Street-Porter/5783/
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,170
    edited February 2017
    'St Valentine honeymoon blow for SNP with only 15pt rise on previous election'

https://twitter.com/WingsScotland/status/831489161324556289
  • Options
    I'm sure Mike's correct on what they should have done but it'll be a real shame if the only people who can be elected to office are people end up being either mind-numbingly on-message from the age of eight or incapable of operating Twitter.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598

The Groan doesn't seem to have completely caught up yet, unless Guido is being overimaginative:

or the 'I'm not from Stoke, how should I know' one, which is around somewhere.

As I see it, the Diane Abbott one is a pocket biography.

Popcorn.

• Options

I'm sure Mike's correct on what they should have done but it'll be a real shame if the only people who can be elected to office are people end up being either mind-numbingly on-message from the age of eight or incapable of operating Twitter.

See post 3 in this chain.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    This guy doesn't sound like he is going to be much of an asset to Parliament.

Meanwhile Labour is down to 14% in Scotland - wow
  • Options
    DearPBDearPB Posts: 439
    I was disappointed to see that Mike failed to give us the important information about where the LDs came in the 2005 and 2010 elections.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    I will forever be grateful that twitter did not exist when I was growing up. The thought of my daft teenage ramblings being stored in perpetuity for people to delve into at their leisure. I felt the Kent youth PCC was hard done by for exactly this reason, 10 years earlier no-one would have had anything to pick up on.

We are heading towards automation of politicians, if nothing else.
  • Options

Labour lose Glasgow?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    Pulpstar said:

FPT: @isam Found it - @Midlandrob Has them as a 30% chance. If I was making that assessment I'd be laying out around £500 to win £30k I think. I think this is somewhat an overestimate.

If i thought a 69/1 chance should be 9/4 (ish) I think I'd have most of my betting account/all I was allowed on
  • Options

Labour lose Glasgow?
    Nailed on as the certiest of certy certs I'd have thought.
  • Options

Labour lose Glasgow?
    On these figures definitely, along with most of West of Scotland.
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

If i thought a 69/1 chance should be 9/4 (ish) I think I'd have most of my betting account/all I was allowed on
    Yes but I have teeny tiny balls :)
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Labour lose Glasgow?
    More evidence of a unionist surge north of the border...
  • Options
    Patrick said:

I saw it. If your Twitter stream is mostly composed of arseclowns, it's because you chose to follow arseclowns. My Twitter stream is an incredible learning resource, full of exceptionally clever and incisive people.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes but I have teeny tiny balls :)
    Ha I wasn't saying I was any different, I just find it hard to believe someone can think a 9/4 shot can be backed at 69/1 without reconsidering if it really is a 9/4 shot
  • Options

Patrick said:

I saw it. If your Twitter stream is mostly composed of arseclowns, it's because you chose to follow arseclowns. My Twitter stream is an incredible learning resource, full of exceptionally clever and incisive people.
    My twitter stream has precisely zero arseclowns in it. Likewise my Facebook. Admittedly precisely zero clever or incisive people either. :-)
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited February 2017

Scottish Tories up 13% on 2013
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    https://twitter.com/gareth_snell/status/540209850354266112

Like open of his rivals he doesn't live in Stoke.

• Options
    GoupillonGoupillon Posts: 79
    edited February 2017
    Repost from end of last thread:

Here is a video of the hustings at Whitehaven yesterday - you can all make up your own minds who is the best candidate to represent Copeland at Westminster. Much of it is tedious and I recommend using the fast forward button occasionally - of course I have to admit bias but personally I would recommend you do not miss the bits involving Rebecca Hanson. https://www.periscope.tv/w/1YpKkdrdPnjGj
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    dr_spyn said:
    dr_spyn said:
    The Gail Tilsley one is the worst. I am
    surprised labour people aren't demanding he be deselected as candidate. They must implicitly approve of women bashing...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    edited February 2017
    Edit: beaten to it by Scott.
  • Options
    I've long felt that the more a by-election candidate is proclaimed by their opponents to be weak, the better they do. On that basis, the two main candidates in Stoke Central are making it very hard to call.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    tpfkar said:

I will forever be grateful that twitter did not exist when I was growing up. The thought of my daft teenage ramblings being stored in perpetuity for people to delve into at their leisure. I felt the Kent youth PCC was hard done by for exactly this reason, 10 years earlier no-one would have had anything to pick up on.

I could sympathise with Paris Brown. The fault lay with the idiot who hired her, Ann Barnes.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    isam said:

dr_spyn said:
    surprised labour people aren't demanding he be deselected as candidate. They must implicitly approve of women bashing...
    Not seen that one, what did he say about her?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

isam said:

dr_spyn said:
    Along the lines of 'she needs a slap' I think
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Either that or the electorate is going to get more accepting of past controversial statements.

That said, some of Mr Snell's forthright opinions are very recent.
  • Options
    If ever there was an inevitable hammering in the works, which people generally think must have already happened but hasn't; Scottish Labour's upcoming shellacking must surely be it.

Weird to think they control Glasgow Council. You'll get long odds on them winning there this time.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,170
    edited February 2017
    HYUFD said:

Indy parties up 17pts.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Nuttall nabbed again

@BarristerSecret: He misspoke. He meant to say "at the Bowling Green massacre". twitter.com/independent/st…
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    MattW said:

The Groan doesn't seem to have completely caught up yet, unless Guido is being overimaginative:

or the 'I'm not from Stoke, how should I know' one, which is around somewhere.

As I see it, the Diane Abbott one is a pocket biography.

Popcorn.

He should try doing skits if politics doesn't work out for him......
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    No wonder Nuttall is standing in Stoke and nowhere near Liverpool.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Did he explain how this falsehood got on there? A bungling functionary did it without his permission?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Patrick said:

My twitter stream has precisely zero arseclowns in it. Likewise my Facebook. Admittedly precisely zero clever or incisive people either. :-)
    You should try Twitter. Seriously. Make an anonymous account, pick something obscure you're interested in and follow people who talk about that.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Interest in Lib Dems at Stoke seems to be rising, even on this site!.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2017
    It appears stoke by-election is between a trump tribute act and Walter Mitty!!!!

As if stoke doesn't have enough problems with one of these two being their representative in parliament.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Scott_P said:

htts://twitter.com/radiocitytalk/status/831492310307311616

Did he explain how this falsehood got on there? A bungling functionary did it without his permission?
    He says at about 1:20 that it wasn't him personally.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Seems to happen to poor old Paul quite a lot. He should check some of the stuff being put out in his name. Can we be sure he is actually UKIP leader? Maybe he is still a Tory and someone just made the UKIP stuff up.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    fpt:

@HL:
    "The good doctor Sunil will no doubt be packing his bags for a journey North as we speak, and Mr. Jessup will be penning a post as to why this is a massive retrograde step, will do nothing to increase capacity and only the technology of the mid-twentieth century can get us through the 21st century."
    This is a massive retrograde step, will do nothing to increase capacity and only the technology of the mid-twentieth century can get us through the 21st century. :)
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

htts://twitter.com/radiocitytalk/status/831492310307311616

He says at about 1:20 that it wasn't him personally.

It's his direct quote, though.

• Options

Patrick said:

Patrick said:

You should try Twitter. Seriously. Make an anonymous account, pick something obscure you're interested in and follow people who talk about that.
    I might get sucked into the never ending AR flame wars around DI vs gas piston. Arghh.....
  • Options
    theakes said:

Interest in Lib Dems at Stoke seems to be rising, even on this site!.

Just seen a picture of the rounds to be delivered. I hope Labour and UKIP have a decent ground game in place for their sakes.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    isam said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

dr_spyn said:
    Along the lines of 'she needs a slap' I think
    To be fair, my mum has said that about a number of female characters in Coronation Street.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Wasn't his back-up plan to use Stoke as a warm up for Burnham's seat?
  • Options

It appears stoke by-election is between a trump tribute act and Walter Mitty!!!!

As if stoke doesn't have enough problems with one of these two being their representative in parliament.

Losing to either Nuttall or Snell will be existentially catastrophic for the party concerned. I guess that's why Stoke is getting so much more attention than Copeland.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

If ever there was an inevitable hammering in the works, which people generally think must have already happened but hasn't; Scottish Labour's upcoming shellacking must surely be it.

Weird to think they control Glasgow Council. You'll get long odds on them winning there this time.

Prepare for Union Jacks to be removed from official buildings as the nationalists capture Scotland's biggest city. Tick, tock, tick, tock...
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

No chance of him getting elected in Leigh with those comments about. He might as well lead a campaign to bring back the Sun into newsagents there. I don't think they'll affect him too much in a Stoke BE though.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    On Topic Gareth Snell is a complete dud.

From his sexist abuse to calling his leader an IRA supporting Hamas sympathiser to being Hunts bag carrier with even more right wing views to calling Brexit a pile of shit.

Dud Dud fookin DUD
  • Options
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2017/feb/14/general-motors-sell-vauxhall-opel-psa-citreon-peugeot?client=ms-android-oneplus

This can not be allowed to go ahead. If it came down to closing a plant in France or Britain it would be here every time. British governments would happily sell their citizens out for a profit whereas closing a plant in France over Britain would be unthinkable to French politicians they would riot.
  • Options

Yes, it is not clear what horrific crime Stoke has committed to deserve one of these two clowns as their MP.
  • Options
    Is Nuttall still claiming to have been in the Leppings Lane end when it happened? It's good luck that all his friends were unharmed.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

No chance of him getting elected in Leigh with those comments about. He might as well lead a campaign to bring back the Sun into newsagents there. I don't think they'll affect him too much in a Stoke BE though.
    Leigh is in Greater Manchester, not Greater Liverpool. I would presume it's Wigan or Man Utd country.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Prepare for Union Jacks to be removed from official buildings as the nationalists capture Scotland's biggest city. Tick, tock, tick, tock...
    Good we are all nationalist now Unionism is a dying game in Scotland Ireland and Europe.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Whatever next? We find that professor nutall isnt even a scouser and an illegal immigrant to boot?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Jobabob said:

Yes, it is not clear what horrific crime Stoke has committed to deserve one of these two clowns as their MP.

Electing Tristram Hunt.

• Options
    I think the effect of the Snell tweets, vulgar though they are, is being exaggerated. Will the good Labour WWC voters of Stoke really take a Guardian-approved view of his remarks?
  • Options

If that poll is accurate (and Panelbase are a reputable company) then that would be devastating for Labour. For comparison, the Conservatives won 13% of first preferences in 2012 and returned 115 councillors. Labour won 394 at the same elections.

Now, I accept that transfer-friendliness plays a significant role in STV and you can't read over directly from one election to another. All the same, if Scottish Labour does poll 14%, it's looking at losing 60%+ of its council base in a single blow.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    @GarethSnell

“Soft Brexit, Hard Brexit

Massive pile of S***

Sloppy Brexit, Messy Brexit

Quit, Quit, Quit.”

What a gift for Labour Kipper waiverers.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Good we are all nationalist now Unionism is a dying game in Scotland Ireland and Europe.
    Yes, good luck to the Scots. They should go for it, and any decent Englishman worth his salt should wish our neighbours and allies well.
  • Options

Whatever next? We find that professor nutall isnt even a scouser and an illegal immigrant to boot?

Who reads the Guardian and eats quinoa for breakfast with his Iraqi muslim wife.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

From his sexist abuse to calling his leader an IRA supporting Hamas sympathiser to being Hunts bag carrier with even more right wing views to calling Brexit a pile of shit.

Dud Dud fookin DUD

Brexit is a pile of shit....that means he can at least express himself more clearly than nearly all the shadow cabinet
  • Options

@GarethSnell

Massive pile of S***

Quit, Quit, Quit.”

Getting your excuses in early John as your useless leader prepares to ship another safe seat to the Right?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Who reads the Guardian and eats quinoa for breakfast with his Iraqi muslim wife.
    Who gives false details of his living arrangements claiming to live in a damp dank bedsit unable to afford any furniture...oh wait...
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

If that poll is accurate (and Panelbase are a reputable company) then that would be devastating for Labour. For comparison, the Conservatives won 13% of first preferences in 2012 and returned 115 councillors. Labour won 394 at the same elections.

Now, I accept that transfer-friendliness plays a significant role in STV and you can't read over directly from one election to another. All the same, if Scottish Labour does poll 14%, it's looking at losing 60%+ of its council base in a single blow.
    Probably , the most inaccurate opinion poll ever published . As Independents will poll 10 -15% of the vote and get a similar number of councillors and the poll has them at 1% , place straight into the rubbish bin .
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Indy parties up 17pts.
    Scottish Ukip are shit. OK so the nationalist vote is taken by the SNP but under Scottish PR systems they should be able to get councillors and MSP's in every region. Their anti immigration anti E.U stance may not be as popular in Scotland but surely there are enough socially conservative people who think these are important issues for then to get 5-7% in every region.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Yes I believe so , I think if he loses Stoke he will need to reconsider.As a leader of a national party he is being becoming stranger by the day as is the Labour candidate,however he is not the leader.All good for the Lib Dems how ironic if there remain message wins in Stoke.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

I think the effect of the Snell tweets, vulgar though they are, is being exaggerated. Will the good Labour WWC voters of Stoke really take a Guardian-approved view of his remarks?

Quite - and, more to the point, is anyone who takes offense at such trivially "sexist" things really going to think UKIP are the answer?

The only tweet I've seen which could be problematic is the "I don't live in Stoke" one, since that undercuts one of the main attack lines on Nuttall.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    edited February 2017
    Jobabob said:

@GarethSnell

Massive pile of S***

Quit, Quit, Quit.”

Getting your excuses in early John as your useless leader prepares to ship another safe seat to the Right?
    As Sean T informed me yesterday, apparently UKIP are to the left on many issues....just none that win them any votes
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Danny565 said:

Quite - and, more to the point, is anyone who takes offense at such trivially "sexist" things really going to think UKIP are the answer?

The only tweet I've seen which could be problematic is the "I don't live in Stoke" one, since that undercuts one of the main attack lines on Nuttall.
    For the millionth time it really doesn't. It's a 6 towns in-joke (well 7 as Newcastle isn't in the 6 towns)
  • Options

If anything it'll endear him - gritty northern speak-yer-mind sense of humour. He's just acting how any northerner would when having to deal with the southern jessies.
  • Options
    I'd expect a professional party to ask any candidate at above parish council level (and perhaps even that) for any of their public-facing social media accounts (e.g. FB, Twitter, Snapchat, LinkedIn), along with any published articles in the media. These should then be trawled through and they should be a major factor in the candidate's suitability. I've had this in-depth dig through my past for a contracting job, yet alone a full-time role.

If the candidate is good but there are some small problems, defensive positions should be developed and agreed for the problems.

Failure to admit any such thing that causes embarrassment to the party should result in a fine to the party or charity.

Perhaps even do a DV-style vetting on every candidate. Expensive, but you might actually end up with people who would be a credit to parliament, rather than some random fantasist numpty.

It's becoming clear that neither Snell and Nuttall should be anywhere near parliament.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

tpfkar said:

Either that or the electorate is going to get more accepting of past controversial statements.

That said, some of Mr Snell's forthright opinions are very recent.
    I believe the US military has finally come to its senses and scrapped its perfect service record requirement for promotion to the top echelons. The only way to have a perfect record is to never have tried to do something new or never to have had an original thought.

Not that I am saying Snell falls into this category - he seems a total idiot. But we must not require our politicians to have lily-white public records. That is the way to rule by mediocrity or - worse - by psychopaths.
  • Options

The one proviso about that poll is independent candidates who took c.11% of the vote in 2012, though not sure how you question for them. Shouldn't make much difference to headline figs for main parties in relation to each other though.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Yorkcity said:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, good luck to the Scots. They should go for it, and any decent Englishman worth his salt should wish our neighbours and allies well.
    I do I wanted them to gain independence in ,2014.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

Or better choosing not to use Twitter. I can't personally see the appeal of continuously telling everyone what is going on in my life, its just not that exciting. I have had a Twitter account for ages, but just for news links and watching other people making fools of themselves, but I have never tweeted. Similarly Facebook is basically there for cat pics and family photos.

Its best to assume that anything you put on social media is public and permanent, and the future is uncertain so anything even borderline controversial could come back and haunt you. Personally I would be cautious about sending anything more than trivially controversial by email, most providers will hand over your correspondence in response to a lawyers letter without all that tedious business of getting a court order.

Social media must make life so boring for lawyers, you have half your divorce case evidence passed to you these days from the couples social media accounts.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited February 2017

Take a bow and this months Emily Thornberry award for a spectacular overhead kick in the groin to the WWC of Stoke
  • Options
    People are considering this Twitter stuff way too much. There has been hardly any coverage of it in the local rag. A more telling comment from newsnight report was locals saying labour candidate not engaging with locals where as ukip have been very busy knocking on doors / talking to people.
  • Options

I can't personally see the appeal of continuously telling everyone what is going on in my life, its just not that exciting. I have had a Twitter account for ages, but just for news links and watching other people making fools of themselves, but I have never tweeted.

You're doing it wrong.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

There was a very good explanation for that on here yesterday: there is a certain amount of joshing between the six (seven?) towns of Stoke. If that's the manner it's taken in, then it'll do him little harm.

Most of Snell's tweets appear harmless and even funny (e.g. the Abbott one). However I'm unsure they reflect well on his suitability for parliament.
  • Options

If anything it'll endear him - gritty northern speak-yer-mind sense of humour. He's just acting how any northerner would when having to deal with the southern jessies.
    But he also tweeted he didn't know what was going on in stoke as he didn't live there. I agree with the main trust of the post and think these twitter crimes will depress turnout.

• Options
    edited February 2017

As you imply, first preferences really aren't much use on their own in an STV election. Though having said that, I'm not sure 2nd preferences will be that much help to Labour this time -- I believe SNP voters give better ratings to Davidson than to Dugdale, and Scottish Tory voters give better ratings to Sturgeon than to Dugdale, which maybe indicates that many of those party's voters will rank the other above SLAB.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    edited February 2017

...calling his leader an IRA supporting Hamas sympathiser to being Hunts bag carrier with even more right wing views to calling Brexit a pile of shit...

Sounds pretty good to me.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    edited February 2017

Or better choosing not to use Twitter. I can't personally see the appeal of continuously telling everyone what is going on in my life, its just not that exciting. I have had a Twitter account for ages, but just for news links and watching other people making fools of themselves, but I have never tweeted. Similarly Facebook is basically there for cat pics and family photos.

Its best to assume that anything you put on social media is public and permanent, and the future is uncertain so anything even borderline controversial could come back and haunt you. Personally I would be cautious about sending anything more than trivially controversial by email, most providers will hand over your correspondence in response to a lawyers letter without all that tedious business of getting a court order.

Social media must make life so boring for lawyers, you have half your divorce case evidence passed to you these days from the couples social media accounts.
    Not so much divorces, but certainly hearing bundles in Children Act and Family Law Act cases bulge with facebook posts, emails and injudicious text messages.
  • Options

The one proviso about that poll is independent candidates who took c.11% of the vote in 2012, though not sure how you question for them. Shouldn't make much difference to headline figs for main parties in relation to each other though.
    I've got a second proviso, which is I'm unclear whether we're seeing Panelbase's preferred take on the numbers or Wings Over Scotland's. The write-up, by the Rev. Stuart, reads as follows:

"Just before we get to them, a quick note on the stats. 83% of our respondents said they were “likely to vote” in the council elections – defined as rating your probability of doing so at either eight, nine or 10 out of 10.

It’s fairly stupendously unlikely that turnout will actually be anywhere near 83% – the figure in 2012 was 39.6%, and it only got to 52.8% even in 2007, when voters were at the polls anyway to vote in the Holyrood general election. So we’ve used the figures for “likely voters excluding Don’t Knows” in this post, because the chances are that in reality, people who don’t know who they’re voting for by now won’t vote at all."

Is the "we" here "Wings" or "Wings and Panelbase"?

One nugget stood out for me: 46% of Holyrood 2016 Labour voters now intend to vote for someone else.
  • Options

Careful. Thinking that all northerners will go for that stereotype will have people jumping down your throat... or not.
  • Options
    nunu said:

HYUFD said:

Indy parties up 17pts.
    Scottish Ukip are shit. OK so the nationalist vote is taken by the SNP but under Scottish PR systems they should be able to get councillors and MSP's in every region. Their anti immigration anti E.U stance may not be as popular in Scotland but surely there are enough socially conservative people who think these are important issues for then to get 5-7% in every region.
    You pretty much covered it in your first sentence - think Nuttall UKIP without the slick media operation, high moral rigour and admin efficiency. They've just decided to keep their ex chairman in his publicly funded post despite him being convicted of being a sex pest and being put on the sex offenders registers.
  • Options

People are considering this Twitter stuff way too much. There has been hardly any coverage of it in the local rag. A more telling comment from newsnight report was locals saying labour candidate not engaging with locals where as ukip have been very busy knocking on doors / talking to people.

Although that lady who complained said she was going to vote Labour anyway.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

Leigh is in Greater Manchester, not Greater Liverpool. I would presume it's Wigan or Man Utd country.
    Leigh is Leigh RL. Football mixed, but NOT Wigan Athletic!
This discussion has been closed.