Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Hilary Benn. The Peacemaker who should be the next Labour lead

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Hilary Benn. The Peacemaker who should be the next Labour leader

Leadership talk is in the air. Names are tossed into the ring, trampled on and tossed out again. I have a simple view. When you look at the enormous task of transforming Labour’s fortunes there is only one name worth considering.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,973
    First :smiley:
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    edited February 2017
    Second

FPT:
    Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Can we not agree that top talent rarely enters politics. There's more fun, impact to be had elsewhere. And with none of the bullshit that goes with the public eye.

Was it different in the past? It seems that it was, but maybe I'm wrong. That politics isn't attracting high quality candidates is surely a very bad thing. I hope we don't go down the gobshite celebrity route like our American pals.
    Agree 100%. It used to be that you had to have run a council, business, union, school, written a few academic tomes or whatever before being considered as a candidate. Now it is PPE, think tank or SPAD.
    Rebecca Long Bailey

Pawn shop, call centre, furniture factory, postwoman, solicitor.

Real jobs, in the real world.
    A fair point, well made.
    Rebecca Long Bailey is a lady with a very political, very creative cv. All the shop and factory stuff is missing from Linkedin, which says:

1979: Born
    1998: Left school
    Manchester Met University
    2003 onwards: Solicitor

That looks like a series of Saturday or Summer jobs being given a lot of weight.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Keeping a greenish book on Lab leadership is an f**** nightmare!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    Fourth like ukip
  • Options
    MattW said:

Second

FPT:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Can we not agree that top talent rarely enters politics. There's more fun, impact to be had elsewhere. And with none of the bullshit that goes with the public eye.

Was it different in the past? It seems that it was, but maybe I'm wrong. That politics isn't attracting high quality candidates is surely a very bad thing. I hope we don't go down the gobshite celebrity route like our American pals.
    Agree 100%. It used to be that you had to have run a council, business, union, school, written a few academic tomes or whatever before being considered as a candidate. Now it is PPE, think tank or SPAD.
    Rebecca Long Bailey

A fair point, well made.
    Rebecca Long Bailey is a lady with a very political, very creative cv. All the shop and factory stuff is missing from Linkedin, which says:

That looks like a series of Saturday or Summer jobs being given a lot of weight.
    Being a Christmas casual with the Royal Mail was/is a common student holiday job. Two or three weeks' work at most.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Second

FPT:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Rebecca Long Bailey

A fair point, well made.

In her own words:

I grew up locally by Old Trafford football ground and began my working life serving at the shop counter of a pawn shop, an experience that taught me more about the struggles of life than any degree or qualification ever could. I also worked in call centres, a furniture factory , and as a postwoman before eventually studying to become a solicitor, where, for many years I acted on behalf of NHS Bodies on a range of governance and contractual issues.
    http://www.rebeccalongbailey.com/find_out_more

"Eventually" seems to comprise a period between the ages of about 18 and 19.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Second

FPT:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Rebecca Long Bailey

A fair point, well made.

In her own words:

I grew up locally by Old Trafford football ground and began my working life serving at the shop counter of a pawn shop, an experience that taught me more about the struggles of life than any degree or qualification ever could. I also worked in call centres, a furniture factory , and as a postwoman before eventually studying to become a solicitor, where, for many years I acted on behalf of NHS Bodies on a range of governance and contractual issues.

I would assume that three years' university from 1998 included various holiday jobs, then a couple of further years study to qualify as a solicitor. I don't see any gap for a full-time job so would conclude, as per LinkedIn, that being a solicitor was her first full job and the rest were just temporary holiday roles.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,302
    'Corbyn has upped his game since being re-elected.'

He hasn't. If anything, his performance since has been considerably more inept. He has doubled down on policy, promoted still more nonentities to plug the gaps of still more resignations, split the parliamentary party from top to bottom over Europe and managed to find the one line - Brexit with full free movement - that alienates all Labour's supporters rather than just 50% of them.

What he has done, undoubtedly, is improved his performances in the Commons. However, he has the huge advantage of being up against May, a plodding methodical character who isn't good at thinking on her feet and has poor judgement of what will go over well, rather than Cameron, who was the master of a withering putdown dragged up from memory. Given his experience it would be a real disaster, indeed, if he couldn't do well under those circumstances. But it's irrelevant. Michael Foot was one of the great Commons performers of the twentieth century. But like Corbyn, his policies were toxic (and it isn't just Corbyn, it is his policies - ask canvassers in Copeland).

There is therefore no sign he is improving or planning a succession at present, and even if he were I doubt Benn would win an election given there would surely be one leftist on the ballot.

Labour's best hope for a quick recovery is an election this year that would destroy Corbyn while there is a residual loyalty to the party. Ironically May doesn't seem to want it at the moment. What has Labour come to when its survival depends on a mercy killing from a Prime Minister provided by the enemy?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Second

FPT:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Rebecca Long Bailey

A fair point, well made.

In her own words:

I would assume that three years' university from 1998 included various holiday jobs, then a couple of further years study to qualify as a solicitor. I don't see any gap for a full-time job so would conclude, as per LinkedIn, that being a solicitor was her first full job and the rest were just temporary holiday roles.
    Probably a fair summary
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

Morning all,

Generally lay people, don't back them.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    I like Hillary for most of the reasons that Don cites, though I think favouring Britain getting involved in the Syrian civil war was a mistake and I'm incredulous that anyone still thinks it would have been a good idea. Still, it's an honest disagreement and I can live with that.

But this quote is immediately relevant:

'The New Statesman’s Stephen Bush in his indispensable daily newsletter counsels caution. He ssays “Corbyn would never voluntarily hand back control of the party to his opponents, so until there is a rule change(so that fewer MPs are needed to nominate a leadership contender), any talk that he has planned his retirement should be treated with extreme scepticism.”"'

Well, quite.That's why the current effort by Labour First and Progress (cf. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/12/labour-jeremy-corbyn-critics-organise-locally-leadership-election) to block the rule change is so stupid, another attempt to regain control by cunning wheezes ("let's make sure that people we don't like aren't on the ballot") rather than winning arguments ("let's persuade members we need a change"). Do they want Labour to, in their terms, move on or not?
  • Options
    One reason that it's the job from hell is that the Tories will bang on forever about how Labour's selectorate chose JC - and why shouldn't they? Labour will do well to hold 100 seats come the GE. We no longer have a multi-party democracy - not that the Tories ever wanted one...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    A good CV highlights what's recent and relevant. It should be true, but it's not a complete a life history. Discussions about what is or isn't on LinkedIn is silly.
  • Options

I like Hillary for most of the reasons that Don cites, though I think favouring Britain getting involved in the Syrian civil war was a mistake and I'm incredulous that anyone still thinks it would have been a good idea. Still, it's an honest disagreement and I can live with that.

'The New Statesman’s Stephen Bush in his indispensable daily newsletter counsels caution. He ssays “Corbyn would never voluntarily hand back control of the party to his opponents, so until there is a rule change(so that fewer MPs are needed to nominate a leadership contender), any talk that he has planned his retirement should be treated with extreme scepticism.”"'

Well, quite.That's why the current effort by Labour First and Progress (cf. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/12/labour-jeremy-corbyn-critics-organise-locally-leadership-election) to block the rule change is so stupid, another attempt to regain control by cunning wheezes ("let's make sure that people we don't like aren't on the ballot") rather than winning arguments ("let's persuade members we need a change"). Do they want Labour to, in their terms, move on or not?

Corbyn changing the rules to favour his chosen mates is hardly moving on.
  • Options
    >"the Trumpish phrase “fake news”, which is now taken as confirmation of whatever the president is trying to deny."

By whom? IMO anyone who disbelieves Trump with a kneejerk assumption is as silly as anyone who does the opposite.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    A very plausible argument as to why Benn would make a good leader, but I don't see a route to him getting there. Even if Corbyn were forced out without a rule change having occurred, Benn's strong support for Syrian intervention would rule him out with much of the membership.
  • Options

The activists' hearts will never move on from JC. And they - quite rightly - don't trust their heads.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,811
    Just scanning news stories on Copeland, it does feel a bit like the locals last year, where either corbyn' people are doing great expectations management or others are doing a poor job of the same, to the point it will a disappointment if they lose. Not exactly a revelation, I know, but not far out now it still seems remarkable the expectation is a labour loss, ecpven with all their issues,
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Benn could've stood against Corbyn at the second leadership election.

If Corbyn wouldn't cede control to his political adversaries then surely he can't afford to resign at all?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

A good CV highlights what's recent and relevant. It should be true, but it's not a complete a life history. Discussions about what is or isn't on LinkedIn is silly.

There is nevertheless a substantive difference between doing a few weeks' temporary work during university holidays, to supplement your student loan, and actually living the life of a postwoman, pawn shop or call centre worker.
  • Options

One reason that it's the job from hell is that the Tories will bang on forever about how Labour's selectorate chose JC - and why shouldn't they? Labour will do well to hold 100 seats come the GE. We no longer have a multi-party democracy - not that the Tories ever wanted one...

The tories could be as evil as your exagerrated fears make them out to be and labour, in the absence of alternative non tories in England, would do better than that. The party has no right to exist forevermore, no party does, nor are they in good shape right now, but as I'm sure you'll agree, the tories arent popular enough to have no opposition. And even if they did win a massive majority, wed 'd still have a multi party democracy. Sometimes parties win big, or dominate across multiple elections, it doesn't mean multi party democracy is dead.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

So Corbyn wants to rig a rule change.. That'll keep the party "united" Chortle.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The tories could be as evil as your exagerrated fears make them out to be and labour, in the absence of alternative non tories in England, would do better than that. The party has no right to exist forevermore, no party does, nor are they in good shape right now, but as I'm sure you'll agree, the tories arent popular enough to have no opposition. And even if they did win a massive majority, wed 'd still have a multi party democracy. Sometimes parties win big, or dominate across multiple elections, it doesn't mean multi party democracy is dead.
    Slightly too early to talk of a one party state.

The Tories managed just 37%, a majority of 12 and are only 2 years into their first govt for 18 years.

As things stand today they may win big next time. But one landslide does not make a one party state.
  • Options
    Surely we should all know by now not to trust anything that Mr Brind might have to say about the Labour leadership....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Morning all,

Generally lay people, don't back them.
    Certainly laying David Miliband seems good sense.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    IanB2 said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Second

FPT:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Rebecca Long Bailey

A fair point, well made.

In her own words:

I'd still give her credit for at least experiencing the less cushy life for a bit / working during holidays
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    I did originally see Benn as a unity candidate but not now, Corbyn will only stand down for a Corbynista and he fell out with Benn after he left the Shadow Cabinet, McDonnell is more likely in my view
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Just scanning news stories on Copeland, it does feel a bit like the locals last year, where either corbyn' people are doing great expectations management or others are doing a poor job of the same, to the point it will a disappointment if they lose. Not exactly a revelation, I know, but not far out now it still seems remarkable the expectation is a labour loss, ecpven with all their issues,

On current polls Copeland is neck and neck, the Tories are working it hard as they know it will not fall into their lap. Stoke on the other hand is a likely Labour hold where UKIP are overestimated
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Second

FPT:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Rebecca Long Bailey

A fair point, well made.

In her own words:

I'd still give her credit for at least experiencing the less cushy life for a bit / working during holidays
    Indeed. There is so many politicians out there with no experience outside politics at all, it misses the point entirely to pick holes in her rather impressive story.

PS note to self. I agree with Plato on something.
  • Options

Why should the rule change in order to accommodate the Left? Surely that's a "wheeze" in the same vein?

It seems quite clear that the majority of active, long standing members, MPs, MEPs and councillors don't want another hard left leader. Only the clicktivists who don't attend meetings, will never canvass and have at least half a foot in other parties want another left leader who can't win an election, thereby giving Tories a free pass.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

The Tories managed just 37%, a majority of 12 and are only 2 years into their first govt for 18 years.

As things stand today they may win big next time. But one landslide does not make a one party state.
    Well exactly. Anyone dreaming of it or having a nightmare about it has while to wait before it is even close to happening.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Second

FPT:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Rebecca Long Bailey

A fair point, well made.

snip

Indeed. There is so many politicians out there with no experience outside politics at all, it misses the point entirely to pick holes in her rather impressive story.
    I don't know why this is an issue. The real issue is she is clearly far too inexperienced. The job will totally engulf her. It will be a disaster. Politicians with decades of frontline experience find the job of LOTO very difficult. She may have a great future, but needs far more time on the job.

The fact that this even being considered show that Labour are all over the place.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Second

FPT:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Jonathan said:

Was it different in the past? It seems that it was, but maybe I'm wrong. That politics isn't attracting high qualityg. I hope we don't go down the gobshite celebrity route like our American pals.
    Rebecca Long Bailey

A fair point, well made.

In her own words:

I grew up locally by Old Trafford football ground and began my working life serving at the shop counter of a pawn shop, an exventually studying to become a solicitor, where, for many years I acted on behalf of NHS Bodies on a range of governance and contractual issues.

Depends how much she plays it up really. So long as she tells no untruths it shouldnt detract. The only quibble seems to be over use of the word 'eventually' making the intervening period seem more significant than it likely was, but on the scale of political misrepresentations that one barely registers.
  • Options

I don't know why this is an issue. The real issue is she is clearly far too inexperienced. The job will totally engulf her. It will be a disaster. Politicians with decades of frontline experience find the job of LOTO very difficult. She may have a great future, but needs far more time on the job.

The fact that this even being considered show that Labour are all over the place.

The Tories flirted seriously with Leadsom over May. It took one weekend under the media spotlight to destroy her.

So, I agree experience and being battle hardened makes a key difference. Blair is a good example of someone who developed his skills over a decade.

The other route is to be so utterly charismatic/different that you somehow manage to rise above business as usual. People like that come up very, very rarely.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

On the basis of council by election results it could be a LD landslide
  • Options

I can't be the only person who didn't realise until this weekend that Hazel Blears had actually stood down in 2015?

That's how low a profile Rebecca Long Bailey has been keeping.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, a problem is that Brown culled a lot of potential leaders and old heads who might not have been leader but could've been a useful adviser or lieutenant.

It was the opposite approach taken by Edward III or Alexander the Great. Or King Arthur. If it had been King Gordon, he would've been sat at the round table by himself.
  • Options

Mr. Jonathan, a problem is that Brown culled a lot of potential leaders and old heads who might not have been leader but could've been a useful adviser or lieutenant.

It was the opposite approach taken by Edward III or Alexander the Great. Or King Arthur. If it had been King Gordon, he would've been sat at the round table by himself.

It some versions of the story doesn't Arthur end up at war with Lancelot, as the latter was sleeping with his wife and others of the group were scheming and plotting against each other? Maybe they should have been culled!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

That'd be worth it just to see the looks on all our faces.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    edited February 2017
    So we're still talking about the Corbynite Matt Hancock?

If anything says 'we're lightweight and not a serious proposition' it is positing politically inexperienced candidates like RBL and Angela Rayner as natural successors.

Benn is serious, and would be tough to oppose. He is also a significant parliamentarian - which should be respected.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

That'd be worth it just to see the looks on all our faces.
    Plus Farron as PM!
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, clearly that was just Saxon propaganda :p
  • Options

Both are myths.

The big beasts and old heads that started in '97 were knackered, dead or had enough by 2010. It's not surprising after more and a decade in opposition and 13 years in government.

The next generation were groomed for government not opposition. This is a problem that besets all successful parties in the end.

The likes of David Owen, Shirley Williams, Stephen Dorrell, Peter Lilley, David Milliband and James Purnell were good at running departments, not winning elections.

The street-fighters that do emerge in govt, Dennis Healey, Ken Clarke, Ed Balls seem to be too controversial to prosper.
  • Options

Isn't she the one who made a total arse of herself on telly recently trying and failing to answer questions about customs and trade? Leadsom Lite (that is not a compliment) - and would get shredded.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333

I can't be the only person who didn't realise until this weekend that Hazel Blears had actually stood down in 2015?

RLB could learn a lot from Hazel Blears in terms of grit, perseverance, and sheer strength and focus of effort in her job while an MP.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

RLB could learn a lot from Hazel Blears in terms of grit, perseverance, and sheer strength and focus of effort in her job while an MP.
    And she could learn sheer hypocrisy.
    Didn't Blears join a demo outside her local hospital after voting for the very thing that the demo was protesting about?

• Options

TOPPING said:

And she could learn sheer hypocrisy.
    Didn't Blears join a demo outside her local hospital after voting for the very thing that the demo was protesting about?

Didn't many if not most MPs, on both sides?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Surely we should all know by now not to trust anything that Mr Brind might have to say about the Labour leadership....

Two months ago:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/12/12/young-prezza-to-save-old-jezza-the-task-facing-corbyns-new-speechwriter/

It seems David Prescott has proved to be as useful as some PBers suggested rather than what Don Brind hoped.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    Jonathan said:

Both are myths.

The big beasts and old heads that started in '97 were knackered, dead or had enough by 2010. It's not surprising after more and a decade in opposition and 13 years in government.

The next generation were groomed for government not opposition. This is a problem that besets all successful parties in the end.

The likes of David Owen, Shirley Williams, Stephen Dorrell, Peter Lilley, David Milliband and James Purnell were good at running departments, not winning elections.

The street-fighters that do emerge in govt, Dennis Healey, Ken Clarke, Ed Balls seem to be too controversial to prosper.
    "The big beasts and old heads that started in '97 were knackered, dead or had enough by 2010."

And the reason they were knackered or had had enough was, in a large part, due to the aggro they got from Brown's lieutenants. They spent as much time and energy against 'enemies' within their own party as they did those in rival parties. It was a poison, and much of the subsequent failure of Labour (especially in Scotland) can be put down to it.

I mean, just look at McBride as an example of sh*t behaviour right at the heart of Brown's coterie.

It's interesting to think what would have happened if Blair had sacked Brown in the 2001-2005 parliament. Might Labour now be in a much stronger position?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Both are myths.

"The big beasts and old heads that started in '97 were knackered, dead or had enough by 2010."

And the reason they were knackered or had had enough was, in a large part, due to the aggro they got from Brown's lieutenants. They spent as much time and energy against 'enemies' within their own party as they did those in rival parties. It was a poison, and much of the subsequent failure of Labour (especially in Scotland) can be put down to it.

I mean, just look at McBride as an example of sh*t behaviour right at the heart of Brown's coterie.

It's interesting to think what would have happened if Blair had sacked Brown in the 2001-2005 parliament. Might Labour now be in a much stronger position?
    Nah, 20 years at the top of politics is a very good innings.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Jonathan said:

This "real job outside politics" stuff is overdone and comes worryingly close to collapsing into a cult of amateurism. What Plato (the real one) would have said is: if you need brain surgery you tend to look for someone with a lifetime experience of brain surgery behind him, not someone who was doing other, "real world" jobs till the age of 40, and politics is the same. Add to that that most white collar jobs, including politics, are much of a muchness these days; same old excel graphs in powerpoint presentations, all that changes are the labels on the axes. Law in particular has very little of the real world about it, given that you get your fees whatever happens provided you fill out your time sheet correctly, so it lacks the nitty-gritty of "OMG I don't know if we are going to make payroll this month", as well as being protected by bullet proof cartel arrangements from being undercut by the Chinese or by seasonal Estonians. All that is of course less true than it was 40 years ago, what with licensed conveyancing and no-win no-fee arrangements, but it's still pretty true
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Jonathan said:

This "real job outside politics" stuff is overdone and comes worryingly close to collapsing into a cult of amateurism. What Plato (the real one) would have said is: if you need brain surgery you tend to look for someone with a lifetime experience of brain surgery behind him, not someone who was doing other, "real world" jobs till the age of 40, and politics is the same. Add to that that most white collar jobs, including politics, are much of a muchness these days; same old excel graphs in powerpoint presentations, all that changes are the labels on the axes. Law in particular has very little of the real world about it, given that you get your fees whatever happens provided you fill out your time sheet correctly, so it lacks the nitty-gritty of "OMG I don't know if we are going to make payroll this month", as well as being protected by bullet proof cartel arrangements from being undercut by the Chinese or by seasonal Estonians. All that is of course less true than it was 40 years ago, what with licensed conveyancing and no-win no-fee arrangements, but it's still pretty true
    Plus unless, as has been pointed out upthread, the person is one of rare charisma and ebullience, the public very quickly take apart and dismiss those "amateurs".
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Blears was not in my memory a good Minister. She abolished dozens of local authorities without good reason. I was working at one of them at the time, and it was a mess.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Ishmael_Z said:

Jonathan said:

Hmmm... Not sure about this.
    I think having spent time working in the NHS in some capacity... Manager, nurse, doctor whatever is surely a benefit to a health secretary.

For job like PM I can certainly believe that there is no sufficient training... You just have to sink or swim.
  • Options

He ssays “Corbyn would never voluntarily hand back control of the party to his opponents, so until there is a rule change(so that fewer MPs are needed to nominate a leadership contender), any talk that he has planned his retirement should be treated with extreme scepticism.”"'

Well, quite.

So forget everyone else and just think about this from the left's point of view. They must know Labour's going to get flattened in the next election if they still have Corbyn in charge. That doesn't really help their cause, does it? So what's the plan?
  • Options
    MattW said:

TOPPING said:

Blears was not in my memory a good Minister. She abolished dozens of local authorities without good reason. I was working at one of them at the time, and it was a mess.
    Well of course, she was a Labour Party politician. But her mode of operation was very impressive.
  • Options

Who specifically did he cull, and how?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    rkrkrk said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Jonathan said:

Hmmm... Not sure about this.
    I think having spent time working in the NHS in some capacity... Manager, nurse, doctor whatever is surely a benefit to a health secretary.

For job like PM I can certainly believe that there is no sufficient training... You just have to sink or swim.
    I sort of agree about the NHS. but of course with inside knowledge there comes the danger of being overly protective of former colleagues. Perhaps health sec should go to someone who has been chronically ill and without health insurance for 20 years.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I've been thinking very tangentially this morning, because I'm rather tired after working the previous 7 days: Mrs May's sending Osborne to the Tory party naughty step was very astute from a POV of succession planning. He is a tremendously useful insurance policy - say Boris sinks, the likes of Raab, Greening, Davidson etc falter, then Osborne could be the next generation's Theresa May. Able and focused on the future in a way that many others, Cameron and Major included, who could only focus on the near term, are not.

Basically he could grow into a Portillo within the chamber if he takes her advice - gets to know the Tory party and the country.
  • Options

He ssays “Corbyn would never voluntarily hand back control of the party to his opponents, so until there is a rule change(so that fewer MPs are needed to nominate a leadership contender), any talk that he has planned his retirement should be treated with extreme scepticism.”"'

Well, quite.

So forget everyone else and just think about this from the left's point of view. They must know Labour's going to get flattened in the next election if they still have Corbyn in charge. That doesn't really help their cause, does it? So what's the plan?
    Denial is not just a river in Egypt. Does the Left not believe anymore that the British public will see through Tory lies as perpetuated by the right-wing press?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Both are myths.

Nah, 20 years at the top of politics is a very good innings.
    But it wasn't 20 years. If you read Lance Price's autobiography of his time at No. 10 (1997-2001), you can see the briefings by Brown against potential rivals - and Blair - were happening even then.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I've been thinking very tangentially this morning, because I'm rather tired after working the previous 7 days: Mrs May's sending Osborne to the Tory party naughty step was very astute from a POV of succession planning. He is a tremendously useful insurance policy - say Boris sinks, the likes of Raab, Greening, Davidson etc falter, then Osborne could be the next generation's Theresa May. Able and focused on the future in a way that many others, Cameron and Major included, who could only focus on the near term, are not.

Basically he could grow into a Portillo within the chamber if he takes her advice - gets to know the Tory party and the country.

"... if he takes her advice - gets to know the Tory party and the country. "

I find it hilarious - and slightly worrying - that an MP (and PM) representing a Home Counties constituency said that about an MP representing a northern constituency and who had been somewhat championing the north.
  • Options

Well, quite.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt. Does the Left not believe anymore that the British public will see through Tory lies as perpetuated by the right-wing press?
    The members, maybe. (Although anecdotally, they seem to be less enthused about Corbyn than they used to be.)

But his inner circle do politics all day. They talk directly to people who talk directly to voters, they have their own focus groups and their own polls. They must have at least some inkling what's going to happen?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,865

As the Conservatives found out, it's very hard to succeed a "big beast" and whatever individual views of Blair are and were, he was the politically dominant figure of his time as much as Thatcher was of hers,

Both Major and Brown suffered from having to lead parties in the shadow of greater predecessors, Both suffered from internal management and discipline issues resulting from long years in Government and long years of dominant powerful leadership.

There's a common theme - after a long period in office, parties go mad or rather they begin to believe they are immortal and act accordingly. That is what will happen to the Conservatives probably around 2025 - they will implode under May's successor and go down to a huge defeat because, as night follows day, as one party begins to go mad, the other starts to become sane.

For all the Conservative nonsense about the Corbynite domination of Labour, let's not forget the Conservative membership chose both William Hague and IDS - Cameron's election, rather like Blair's a decade earlier, was an indication of returning sanity.

• Options
    I'm sure there are some constituencies for which the 'incumbent' I have in my mind stood down in 2010. Possibly even 2005.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

I find it hilarious - and slightly worrying - that an MP (and PM) representing a Home Counties constituency said that about an MP representing a northern constituency and who had been somewhat championing the north.
    Northern cities. Metropolitan areas. There is far more to this country than cities - including most of the Tory seats.
  • Options
    Labour's problem is not Jeremy Corbyn. Jeremy Corbyn is a symptom. Labour's problem is that the centre left is out of ideas. It has spent all of the last 18 months focusing on the (undoubted) people problems at the top of the Labour party and none of it rethinking what it means to be on the centre left in the 2010s and beyond. The one man who tried to do this is leaving Parliament.

The one woman who seems to be trying is Lisa Nandy. So I would opt for her.
  • Options
    @JJ - Portillo is the perfect example. The urbane metropoltanite Minister of 97 has become a champion of the provinces. Even his wardrobe is more county-town nowadays...
  • Options
    Oh, and as for the timing of the replacement, if not now, when? If it is universally accepted that Jeremy Corbyn has failed, there's no time to waste.
  • Options

Labour's problem is not Jeremy Corbyn. Jeremy Corbyn is a symptom. Labour's problem is that the centre left is out of ideas. It has spent all of the last 18 months focusing on the (undoubted) people problems at the top of the Labour party and none of it rethinking what it means to be on the centre left in the 2010s and beyond. The one man who tried to do this is leaving Parliament.

On Meet the Press yesterday they were saying much the same about the Democrat Party.

• Options
    It really has come to something when peddling conspiracy theories in the Chamber is the LOTO's "best PMQs performance to date"!
  • Options

Morning all,

Lay the favourite at all stages?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

But the UK is a small c conservative country - socially and politically. Osborne's overtly metropolitan / metrosexual bent was at odds with his party and the country. He learnt the hard way that his positioning is a minority one with the Brexit vote. It's not about geography so much as culture.
    We should all be very tolerant of differing lifestyles and natures - being gay or a feminist, say. That doesn't mean we should be bullied into being 'proud' or having to wear silly T-shirts. I think both May and Osborne in their different ways can be a bit authoritarian. Osborne getting knocked down a peg or two will have done him some good. let's just hope he has learnt to respect the views of ordinary people who might disagree with him.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,233
    Hilary Benn just seems a "back to a better yesterday" candidate. Labour need to understand how irrelevant Corbyn is making them, and that really means going for gravitas and competence. So RLB was a solicitor,? Sir Keir was DPP! Rarely does a political leader come from the top of another profession, and yet here is one who has the experience of running a major department and has the intellectual heft to rip the Tories to pieces, and STILL Corbyn's Labour can't see it. Whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad".
  • Options

Morning all,

Lay the favourite at all stages?
    The one book I have managed to keep reassuringly green! Although helped by the £50 I laid on Benn over Syria at just 3.45.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

@JJ - Portillo is the perfect example. The urbane metropoltanite Minister of 97 has become a champion of the provinces. Even his wardrobe is more county-town nowadays...

Are mauve & pistachio big colours for the man about provincial towns nowadays?
  • Options
    I hope Brind is winning plenty of awards for his stunning fiction.
  • Options

I agree with this. The fundamental issue for labour is however squaring the circle of their two main bodies of supporters, The 'old' white working class, and the metropolitan young 'right-ons', not to mention middle tory-leaning England which is what Blair wooed.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Isn't that what happens to most people in their 40s when they want to get out of the city?
  • Options

I've said on here before the centre-left has failed to come up with a convincing coherent credible economic policy and has failed to intellectually respond to what happened in 2008.

To be fair, the Right has lurched from austerity to reflation but there has been no alternative offered from the other side.

With the A50 negotiations looming, the debate about what kind of Britain we want to be in the 2020s and beyond is beginning but if the only voice heard is May and those who think like her, the field will be hers by default.

Leaving the EU doesn't leave you with only one societal and economic model and in any case there are huge issues such as social care and care for the elderly which would still exist even if we had voted to REMAIN.

The problem the centre-left has is the traditional response of throwing money at the problem has been thoroughly discredited - even May's interventionist rhetoric hasn't found universal favour. There's a problem but no one wants to offer money as the solution so what is the solution ?

• Options

On Meet the Press yesterday they were saying much the same about the Democrat Party.

I'm not so familiar with US politics but it seems possible there too.

I have been saying this for 18 months. See, for example, point 4 of this:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/01/26/alastair-meeks-looks-at-the-options-for-labours-right-wing/
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,168
    edited February 2017
    I know how much PB loves a Spanish veto.

'Gibraltar poses threat to post-Brexit aviation access

Spain signals it would block EU air access deal unless terms exclude Gibraltar airport'

http://tinyurl.com/zofmavv
  • Options

Morning all,

As others have said, it's easy if you generally lay rather than generally back.

I'm fascinated who these people are who continue to back David Miliband. He's not in Parliament, not even in the country and has evinced not the slightest interest in the job. Yet as of this morning he was last matched at 22. I'd have thought adding a zero on the end of that would still be no bargain.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Ishmael_Z said:

Jonathan said:

I don't like the profilferation of lawyers myself - it's too often clever dickery/debate society and traffic warden nit-picking. I don't pay any more attention to their personal views than anyone else.

Getting ones hands dirty in the literal sense is a great leveller for desk jockeys.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    Morning all. I usually disagree with most of what Don Brind has to say, but this time he's spot on. Labour need a real heavyweight as leader, to not only drag the party back from the brink, but to challenge and provide opposition to the government during a tumultuous couple of years. There's some 27 still available on Betfair for Benn.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I've said on here before the centre-left has failed to come up with a convincing coherent credible economic policy and has failed to intellectually respond to what happened in 2008.

To be fair, the Right has lurched from austerity to reflation but there has been no alternative offered from the other side.

With the A50 negotiations looming, the debate about what kind of Britain we want to be in the 2020s and beyond is beginning but if the only voice heard is May and those who think like her, the field will be hers by default.

Leaving the EU doesn't leave you with only one societal and economic model and in any case there are huge issues such as social care and care for the elderly which would still exist even if we had voted to REMAIN.

The problem the centre-left has is the traditional response of throwing money at the problem has been thoroughly discredited - even May's interventionist rhetoric hasn't found universal favour. There's a problem but no one wants to offer money as the solution so what is the solution ?

What is increasing clear is that the politics of the 21st century can't be done with the politics of the 20th century. I think a lot of people, both on the right and left are seeking a different way of doing things. Does the idea of even party politics and structured ways of government even work anymore?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Morning all. I usually disagree with most of what Don Brind has to say, but this time he's spot on. Labour need a real heavyweight as leader, to not only drag the party back from the brink, but to challenge and provide opposition to the government during a tumultuous couple of years. There's some 27 still available on Betfair for Benn.

Only in the way which Howard was needed as tory leader to 'stop the rot'.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited February 2017
    Mr Slackbladder,

"The fundamental issue for labour is however squaring the circle of their two main bodies of supporters, The 'old' white working class, and the metropolitan young 'right-ons',"

I agree and it's not squareable. Brexit was a good example. They'd like to go with the metropolitan right-ons but pay lip service to the wwc. A very difficult balancing act, especially with Abbott and Thornberry. You need to be a Tony Blair to get away with it for a while.
  • Options
    French odds: Fillon's odds have lengthened for the first time in a fortnight or so, from 4 to 5 on Ladbrokes.

If he dropped out or his ratings collapsed before the first round, cui bono? Hamon?
  • Options

Oddly enough, I disagree. The Democrats are no more Labour than the Republicans are the Conservatives, the analogy doesn't work.

The Democrats are electorally in a far better place than Labour and it remains to be seen whether those who voted for Trump (or didn't vote for Clinton) last November will think the same in the midterms let alone 2020.

Trump has set himself some ambitious targets and if he can get the jobs back to Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania good luck to him. The cost of his failure will be severe for the Republicans.

As for the Democrats, for all the "there are no decent candidates" nonsense, the likes of Carter, Clinton, Obama and dare one say it, Trump, weren't obviously on the radar four years before they became President. I do agree the Democrats need a non-Washington outsider next time but there's plenty for time for that candidate to emerge.

The Republicans need to decide if they are going to endorse Trump or risk him running as a third party independent against the GOP candidate.

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Jonathan said:

I'm not a fan of lawyers in politics, as it happens. Too much knowledge about how things currently stand and not enough insight into how things might be.

But it's not true that you get your fees whatever happens provided you fill out your time sheet correctly - law firms are a business like any other, and can and do go bust. A large firm went into administration only last month:

http://www.legalweek.com/sites/legalweek/2017/01/17/end-of-the-road-for-legacy-sj-berwin-as-kwm-europe-files-for-administration/?slreturn=20170113044411
  • Options
    At least the average voter could see Hilary Benn as PM. But surely even the most committed Labour supporter could not say the same about either Rebecca Long Bailey or Angela Rayner. (And, no I am not a misogynist, but just listen to the many extracts of interviews with either of them and make up your own mind.)
  • Options
    stodge said:

Oddly enough, I disagree. The Democrats are no more Labour than the Republicans are the Conservatives, the analogy doesn't work.

The Democrats are electorally in a far better place than Labour and it remains to be seen whether those who voted for Trump (or didn't vote for Clinton) last November will think the same in the midterms let alone 2020.

Trump has set himself some ambitious targets and if he can get the jobs back to Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania good luck to him. The cost of his failure will be severe for the Republicans.

As for the Democrats, for all the "there are no decent candidates" nonsense, the likes of Carter, Clinton, Obama and dare one say it, Trump, weren't obviously on the radar four years before they became President. I do agree the Democrats need a non-Washington outsider next time but there's plenty for time for that candidate to emerge.

The Republicans need to decide if they are going to endorse Trump or risk him running as a third party independent against the GOP candidate.

It's a lot easier for the democrats to recover than labour. One of the way in which the American system is more flexible is that politicans can be a lot more independent than those within the MP/whip system in the UK.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I'm fascinated who these people are who continue to back David Miliband. He's not in Parliament, not even in the country and has evinced not the slightest interest in the job. Yet as of this morning he was last matched at 22. I'd have thought adding a zero on the end of that would still be no bargain.

He was on The Daily Show in the last week or so
  • Options
    stodge said:

The answer to many of the problems are obvious. We have an ageing population with growing care needs.. and lots of fit OAPs who could help.

Join up the dots.

We have lots of asset rich OAPs who are cash poor. We need more housing and financing of such building.

Join up the dots.

And so on.

Just needs someone to work out a program to make it happen.

As Labour has lots of MPs who have never had to run anything in their lives, it is unreasonable to expect they are going to think through what needs to be done..

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

I hope Brind is winning plenty of awards for his stunning fiction.

Brind has written a good piece today that's let down by two things.

Firstly, he's writing for an informed, interested and intelligent audience. Unfounded assertions and half-truths will therefore be noticed and called out - and that undermines confidence in the rest of piece. The 'Surrey sweetheart deal' might be a good soundbite for a 60-second news-story but it'll be taken apart where there's space to do so. There was no sweetheart deal: there was a piece of successful lobbying from a council and there was a solution that was and is available to others. Brind is too keen to try to pump the Labour line. There's no need: that is not his job here.

And secondly, his argument doesn't work for the reasons that he rightly identifies:

"in my view, too many in the party are trapped in a simple “Stop the War” mentality whereas building peace around the globe is a complex task."

That is right, and were things otherwise, Benn would be an excellent choice to lead Labour. But things aren't otherwise and the membership is what it is. Even were it possible to Benn to win (and it would be possible if the PLP could unite around him), it still might not be possible to for him to lead Labour if that stitch-up simply opened up a new front in Labour's civil war, with the Corbynite activist base (which is unusually active in his own constituency, we shouldn't forget), looking for an outlet for their rage at being out-manoeuvred.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215
    I have no idea whether Hilary Benn wants the the job or even whether he would get it if he went for it.

But he's one of the few Labour politicians who impressed me when he made his speech last year. This is what I wrote then on PB the day after the Syria debate. Regardless of whether you agree with intervention in Syria and, on the whole, I think staying out of the whole Middle Eastern quagmire is probably sensible until people there come to their senses, I still stand by what I then wrote.

" It was a fantastic speech not so much because it made the case for bombing but because it made the moral case for Labour, for a decent Labour, for an outward looking Labour, for a Labour that understands that you fight fascists, you don't justify them or appease them or invite them to tea and call them friends, for Labour as a moral crusade, for a Labour that remembers its history, for a Labour on the side of liberal democracy not on the side of its enemies, for a Labour that is prepared to call out evil for what it is and to do so clearly and unequivocally without endless whataboutery.

The section where he describes the contempt which IS has for everyone in the chamber, for our values, freedoms and our democracy was very powerful and contrasts with the weaselly and contemptible justification by the likes of Livingstone of suicide bombers as some sort of martyrs."
  • Options

Morning all,

As others have said, it's easy if you generally lay rather than generally back.

If I was starting De Novo, I'd probably lay Miliband, Starmer & Lewis. RLB if she is under 12.0 perhaps. Those combined add through to a nice % of the book, where there are dozens of non runners (David Miliband), no hopers (Owen Smith), non triers (Alan Johnson) and fallers (Chuka, Andy Burnham)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited February 2017

A very depressing post. If someone as sound as Nick believes that Labour is now owned by Momentum to the extent that they are entitled to ensure that their choice is on the ballot whatever their MP's representing 10 million voters think then Labour are on the way to oblivion.

As it's clear no one is able to stick their arm into the U-bend and remove the blockage* the best hope is that a new charismatic leader emerges to lead a new centre left party probably through the Lib Dems and manages to attract those Labour MPs who realize their party is disintegrating

I agree with IA that 100 seats at the next election with Corbyn or anyone acceptable to him sounds about right.

*(sorry I've just seen Trainspotting)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Ishmael_Z said:

Jonathan said:

I'm not a fan of lawyers in politics, as it happens. Too much knowledge about how things currently stand and not enough insight into how things might be.

But it's not true that you get your fees whatever happens provided you fill out your time sheet correctly - law firms are a business like any other, and can and do go bust. A large firm went into administration only last month:

http://www.legalweek.com/sites/legalweek/2017/01/17/end-of-the-road-for-legacy-sj-berwin-as-kwm-europe-files-for-administration/?slreturn=20170113044411
    I've noticed a number of big firms going bust over the years.
This discussion has been closed.