Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The music stops. Who would grab the chair if Jeremy Corbyn ste

Comments

• Options

Is there a particular reason to be discussing old children's films this morning?

Because it's more interesting than the thread?
    It is true that my Brexit threads tend to stay on topic for a lot longer. Perhaps I should draw the appropriate conclusion.
    Rumours, rumours... Telegraph reporting that Owen Jones has been contacting MPs to see if they would be up for a Lewis leadership bid.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,090
    edited February 2017

isam said:

How does this boasting of "I tipped/backed so and so at 80/1" work? Is it still legit to mention it if you have had £2 even if overall you lose money in the market

For instance, in Stoke I could say "I backed the Lib Dems at 140" if they won, which is true and would sound good, but the truth is they're my biggest loser

That's a reasonable observation. To give a full breakdown, as of today my biggest winners on this market in order are:

Maria Eagle
    Rebecca Long-Bailey
    Ed Miliband
    John McDonnell

With any of these I win a substantial four figure sum.

My two losers are Owen Smith and David Miliband. I lose a three figure sum on either of these.

My par result on other candidates is a win of £700. I am below par on Clive Lewis, Sir Keir Starmer, Hilary Benn, Chuka Umunna and Sadiq Khan (but still win a three figure sum on any of these). I am above par on Tom Watson, Angela Rayner and Ed Balls.

There is some minor titivation of other runners and riders, but that's the basic story right now. I expect I'll be continuing to move my money about for the while.

Most of my position has been built up from laying rather than backing. There has barely been a moment on this market when I have felt that the favourite was accurately priced. It's a lot easier to see who the next Labour leader isn't likely to be than to see who it is.
    Sounds like a good book (Hope 1491 is too as I bought it on your recommendation!)

Mine is
    +3309 Ed Balls
    +28 John McDonnell
    +26 Lisa Nandy
    -24 the field
  • Options
    Carlotta

Oh dear the news from German and independence support surging in Scotland - your world is starting to fall apart and all of your old certaintiesand prejudices with it.

Never mind have a drink put a bet of the Lib/Dems to win something.
  • Options
    On next Labour leaders: I checked my outstanding bets for something else a few months ago and was surprised I'd backed so many to get the job (forget who, beyond, I think, Lewis and McDonnell). Small stakes, of course.

Just over a fortnight to the first F1 test. Mercedes dominance would be good for my Bottas bet, although perhaps less so for the spectators.
  • Options

isam said:

How does this boasting of "I tipped/backed so and so at 80/1" work? Is it still legit to mention it if you have had £2 even if overall you lose money in the market

For instance, in Stoke I could say "I backed the Lib Dems at 140" if they won, which is true and would sound good, but the truth is they're my biggest loser

That's a reasonable observation. To give a full breakdown, as of today my biggest winners on this market in order are:

Maria Eagle
    Rebecca Long-Bailey
    Ed Miliband
    John McDonnell

My two losers are Owen Smith and David Miliband. I lose a three figure sum on either of these.

My par result on other candidates is a win of £700. I am below par on Clive Lewis, Sir Keir Starmer, Hilary Benn, Chuka Umunna and Sadiq Khan (but still win a three figure sum on any of these). I am above par on Tom Watson, Angela Rayner and Ed Balls.

There is some minor titivation of other runners and riders, but that's the basic story right now. I expect I'll be continuing to move my money about for the while.

Most of my position has been built up from laying rather than backing. There has barely been a moment on this market when I have felt that the favourite was accurately priced. It's a lot easier to see who the next Labour leader isn't likely to be than to see who it is.
    Trying to stay green on this market has been like that game with the moles and the hammer. Every time I think I have things pretty much under control, some new non-entity emerges as the next potential anointed saviour of the left.

I'm only in for 10s of £ rather 1000s than but my big win would be if Harriet Harperson emerges somehow as leader.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    weejonnie said:

PlatoSaid said:

Golly, Dear White People from Netflix is now at 253k thumbs down vs 22k up.

And the writer has tweeted "F#ck white people" He looks remarkably white to me.

What strange times we live in

Hardly - man in liberal bubble discovers that there is a different world outside it.
    I was trying to be kind - I think the whole thing is achingly right-on tedious bollox.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,293
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    Fake News and Then Some.

As others have noted, Spain (and all other EU countries) have a veto over the accession of any countries to the EU. They will consequently make it as difficult as possible to discourage the Catalans and Basques: they'll fight for preferential access to Scottish fishing waters, they'll demand Scotland joins the euro, Schengen, all kinds of shit. Scotland won't get any UK opt-outs or rebates.

Scotland would eventually join, but given that it brings almost nothing to the table (unlike the UK's £10bn yearly contribution) various EU countries would make iScotland's accession HARD.
    If the SNP can push through a referendum during the A50 negotiations then the dynamic changes completely. Easing the path to independence within the EU then becomes a boot on the throat of the rUK during the critical part of the talks.
  • Options
    Plus I have a bet with @pulpstar that it will be Jarvis by 2020 GE.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    scotslass said:

Carlotta

Oh dear the news from German and independence support surging in Scotland - your world is starting to fall apart and all of your old certaintiesand prejudices with it.

lol wee Mrs McTurnip seems a bit short of friends

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/10/european-commission-independent-scotland-would-have-join-queue/

maybe its time to invite The Donald to address the Scottish Parliament
  • Options
    PA
    #Breaking Four people arrested, including a teenage girl, and explosives found in a suspected thwarted attack, a French prosecutor said https://t.co/LFUfTCNArS
  • Options

Is there a particular reason to be discussing old children's films this morning?

It is true that my Brexit threads tend to stay on topic for a lot longer. Perhaps I should draw the appropriate conclusion.
    Threads on AV are the most on topic threads.

Speaking of which

https://twitter.com/newdawn1997/status/829988390581964800
  • Options

Could I have a side bet on how long it takes for the headline 'Jarvis Cock Up' to appear in the Sun? :)
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Carlotta

So SindyRef2 nailed on then?

Should Scotland leave the UK and set up its own currency?
  • Options

Of course German politicians are keen for an independent Scotland to join the EU....one of the biggest net contributors will have left - so they're bound to be looking for money.....but as they've all been abundantly clear its an internal UK matter and its i) Brexit, ii) Scottish Independence and iii) Scotland applies to join - along with currency, central bank and deficit target met.....but apart from that - a shoo-in.....

It's not the Germans you have to watch but the French, for whom Scottish independence is now a clear national interest.
    So it;s ok in Glennworld for France to push for the break up of the UK but for the UK to push for the breakup of the EU is downright antagonistic.

• Options

Threads on AV are the most on topic threads.

Speaking of which

https://twitter.com/newdawn1997/status/829988390581964800
    Fine times. Thank you very f***** much John Prescott for scuppering this.
  • Options

Could I have a side bet on how long it takes for the headline 'Jarvis Cock Up' to appear in the Sun? :)
    Jarvis Pulps Corbyn as the Common People rise up is a nailed on PB thread headline.
  • Options
    :smiley:

Seriously, when you're resorting to this - someone has dropped a bollock

MicroOnii
    LOL @netflix took down the ORIGINAL video then re-uploaded it to clear the down votes! https://t.co/3Adf3v4B5J
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034

isam said:

Maria Eagle
    Rebecca Long-Bailey
    Ed Miliband
    John McDonnell

Current above par wins

M Eagle +£4,311
    Ed Miliband +£2,378
    Burgon +£1,948
    McDonnell +£801
    Nandy +£796
    Lewis +£480
    Watson +£181
    Thornberry +£77
    Cooper +£34
    Other +£1 (Actual win £631)

Current below par wins

Kinnock -£77
    A Eagle -£128
    Burnham -£189
    Long Bailey -£208
    Jarvis -£232
    Chuka -£288
    Benn -£356
    Smith -£372

True liabilities

D Miliband -£874
    Starmer -£1,092 (True liability £462)

Fair Value of book: £630
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228
    scotslass said:

Carlotta

No poll yet has Yes ahead but of course with the UK now leaving the single market if an independent Scotland rejoins the EU that means border controls at Berwick and customs duties on Scottish exports to the UK which is where a majority of Scottish exports go
  • Options

scotslass said:

Carlotta

perhaps they could share it with Greece
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,925

Painful though it is I want to see Corbyn stay for a couple more years so the left of the party is further discredited. The next leader will be moderate left - those Tory posters who believe that they have an "insight" into what the current membership will do and think McDonnell will be elected really haven't a clue - they are just rationalising what they hope will happen in the best interests of the Tories.

My gut instinct is that Labour won't be back in power till 2025. I think Brexit will impact on the UK negatively but even if, by some chance, it is an economic success I doubt the WWC will feel any real benefits any more than they benefitted from globalisation. They will be disillusioned by Brexit before too long and a skilful Labour leader should easily be able to channel that against the Tories, who have become THE Brexit party, and comfortably get the Labour vote back up to around the 40% mark.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Rumours, rumours... Telegraph reporting that Owen Jones has been contacting MPs to see if they would be up for a Lewis leadership bid.
    This is deja vu all over again, exactly the same kind of rumours went around about Gordon Brown every few months. Corbyn is unshiftable unless he can anoint a successor, which we don't think he can.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Carlotta

C'mon, Sturgeon's husband's sister's ex-husband's brother's son is a Tory c***.

Face it, it's over.
  • Options
    Andrew Neil
    Industrial output rose 1.1% in Dec, stronger than expected 0.2% increase in Reuters poll. Year-on-year growth 4.3%, best since Jan '11
  • Options
    Miss Plato, that sort of tactic is not very clever.

If the film's good (as some have said) and the trailer's shit, then putting up a better reflection of the film in a new trailer would seem rather more sensible. But there we are.

All this antagonism is getting plenty of attention.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I'm underwater in Stoke and on Corbyn's exit date though.

Although I think there is more life in Corbyn and just enough in Stoke Labour to crawl over the line there and for him to cling on till 2018 at least...
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    HYUFD said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

No poll yet has Yes ahead but of course with the UK now leaving the single market if an independent Scotland rejoins the EU that means border controls at Berwick and customs duties on Scottish exports to the UK which is where a majority of Scottish exports go
    So there will be border patrol boats on the Tweed but not on the Foyle? Why?
  • Options

scotslass said:

Carlotta

The Greeks wouldn't touch the Scottish deficit with a barge pole.....
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222

scotslass said:

Carlotta

Athens of the North? :D
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

Athens of the North? :D
    LOL
  • Options

Miss Plato, that sort of tactic is not very clever.

If the film's good (as some have said) and the trailer's shit, then putting up a better reflection of the film in a new trailer would seem rather more sensible. But there we are.

All this antagonism is getting plenty of attention.

I'm genuinely wondering WTF is going on in the USA. It's making Brexit ululating look tame.
  • Options

scotslass said:

Carlotta

The Greeks wouldn't touch the Scottish deficit with a barge pole.....
    probably not, when your "partners" have got round to delighting in the murder of their own people you know itrs not a happy place.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-apologises-over-msp-john-mason-s-ira-comments-1-4362882
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

There will likely be an increase in border patrols in the latter too given the UK will impose free movement controls and at least some customs duties are likely between the UK and EEA once the UK leaves the Single Market
  • Options

scotslass said:

Carlotta

Face it, it's over.
    He also backed Yes
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Painful though it is I want to see Corbyn stay for a couple more years so the left of the party is further discredited. The next leader will be moderate left - those Tory posters who believe that they have an "insight" into what the current membership will do and think McDonnell will be elected really haven't a clue - they are just rationalising what they hope will happen in the best interests of the Tories.

My gut instinct is that Labour won't be back in power till 2025. I think Brexit will impact on the UK negatively but even if, by some chance, it is an economic success I doubt the WWC will feel any real benefits any more than they benefitted from globalisation. They will be disillusioned by Brexit before too long and a skilful Labour leader should easily be able to channel that against the Tories, who have become THE Brexit party, and comfortably get the Labour vote back up to around the 40% mark.

"My gut instinct is that Labour won't be back in power till 2025"

You don't say :smiley:
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    In a world where Britain can Brexit and Trump can be POTUS, Scotland can easily vote for independence.

However...

The question is, has the fallout of Brexit/Trump made such 'bold moves' less attractive.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

There will likely be an increase in border patrols in the latter too given the UK will impose free movement controls and at least some customs duties are likely between the UK and EEA once the UK leaves the Single Market
    Okay so the thinking is Brexit will indeed create a hard border with the Irish Republic. Interestingly, the government are denying this.
  • Options
    ICYMI :smiley:

BBC This Week
    I would NOT wish to issue an invitation for President Trump to appear on this programme, says @afneil https://t.co/mNFLteyHzD
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

Okay so the thinking is Brexit will indeed create a hard border with the Irish Republic. Interestingly, the government are denying this.

The government will of course toughen border controls to control free movement regardless of what it spins now and there will certainly be at least some customs duties between the UK and EEA once the UK leaves the Single Market
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

Face it, it's over.
    He also backed Yes
    And Nick Griffin backed No. Your point?
  • Options
    A little worrying, is this a conflict of interest:
    'Durex owner buys US baby formula firm'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38928626
  • Options
    OllyT said:

McDonnell would be an option before the next general election a la Michael Howard
  • Options

A little worrying, is this a conflict of interest:
    'Durex owner buys US baby formula firm'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38928626

Given that breast-feeding has contraceptive effects, isn't that vertical integration rather than a conflict of interests?
  • Options

OllyT said:

I still haven't ruled out a minority government scenario in 2020!

Brexit turning sour, public services creaking, new, more personable Labour leader holding what they currently have and picking up a dozen and the Lib Dems taking back 20+ seats off the Tories. The key to me will be where the Labour VI moves to with a new leader and how much long-term damage Corby has done.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,222
    matt said:

OchEye said:

Considering that Corbyn has a massive person support from the membership of the LP, I don't think you should be looking in his direction for the next change of leader.
    May is in considerable danger of being replaced. Conservative MP's are notorious in their support for holding the Executive to account. May's actions in trying to retain personal control of the Brexit timetable and negotiations without allowing MP's the right to question her, makes her look petty and as if she really has no idea of what she is doing. Though the Tory MP's are presently propping her up, that support could quickly vanish (along with the 30 odd MP's under investigation for electoral fraud and at least 3 others for potential damaging misdemeanours).
    And then there is Sturgeon. There are a lot of her "suppoters" who are not very happy with her. Even her most faithful can see the flaws in her out UK, in EU arguments. If she doesn't pull the proverbial bunny out of the hat at the SNP conference in March, then Salmond will be making his weary way from Westminster to Holyrood to take up the reins of power, again.

Is this the Scottish Labour Party view? If so, it's an interesting insight.
    It is bollox of the highest order
  • Options
    The vote of no confidence early day motion against Bercow does not seem to have got off to a flying start:

https://www.parliament.uk/edm/2016-17/943
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

McDonnell would be an option before the next general election a la Michael Howard

Not if he needs 15% of MPs to back him.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

Sorry, I listen to your insights into Tory affairs but you are not on the right wavelength when it comes to understanding the membership of other parties.
  • Options
    The next Labour leader - at least temporarily - is likely to be Tom Watson, btw.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

Not if he needs 15% of MPs to back him.

He could ask them if they like their windows, and knees...
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,088
    kle4 said:

The currency issue sounds more difficult, politically, but I'll guess they'll cross that bridge when the come to it - if they win, it will be both more people positively convinced by the snp pitch, and more people willing to risk negatives.

GBP as a transitional arrangement followed by EUR once they're back in the Ode to Joy Fan Club?
  • Options

An independent Scotland would start life outside the EU and be forced to join the queue for membership, the European Commission’s official representative in the UK has said in a major blow to Nicola Sturgeon’s Brexit strategy.

Jacqueline Minor said Jean Claude Juncker, the commission’s president, had made clear there would be no more states admitted until 2020 – the year after the UK is expected to leave the European Union. She said there are several countries waiting to become member states, including Montenegro and Serbia, and an independent Scotland “would join that list.” This would mean Scotland being outside both the UK and EU for an indeterminate period.

With the SNP’s leadership reviewing their stance on currency, she said a separate Scotland would have to commit in principle to joining the euro to get membership and show how it intended to bring down its huge deficit, which is even larger than Greece’s.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/10/european-commission-independent-scotland-would-have-join-queue/

Not what she said on Scottish TV last night, but then why woudo you expect the lying Torygraph to be printing the truth.
  • Options

The vote of no confidence early day motion against Bercow does not seem to have got off to a flying start:

https://www.parliament.uk/edm/2016-17/943

It was highly entertaining in an otherwise depressing QT to see Claire Perry squirming & prevaricating re. Bercow.
  • Options
    Mr. T, Andrew Neil has said that there isn't a single tariff from Iceland to Turkey. If that's true, then singling the UK out for tariffs would be an... interesting move for the EU.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    SeanT said:

Interesting.

Someone on here posted a very cogent analysis, towards the end of 2016, listing the companies likely to go bust, or be taken over and squished, in 2017.

Twitter was on that list.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38920856

What would Trump do if Twitter ceased to exist? Maybe they should look to get a bailout from the US government.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Someone on here posted a very cogent analysis, towards the end of 2016, listing the companies likely to go bust, or be taken over and squished, in 2017.

Twitter benefits from a tax break from San Francisco to keep their offices their which could come under threat as a result of Trump squeezing sanctuary cities. It would be a nice irony if Trump muffled his own megaphone.
  • Options

OchEye said:

Considering that Corbyn has a massive person support from the membership of the LP, I don't think you should be looking in his direction for the next change of leader.
    May is in considerable danger of being replaced. Conservative MP's are notorious in their support for holding the Executive to account. May's actions in trying to retain personal control of the Brexit timetable and negotiations without allowing MP's the right to question her, makes her look petty and as if she really has no idea of what she is doing. Though the Tory MP's are presently propping her up, that support could quickly vanish (along with the 30 odd MP's under investigation for electoral fraud and at least 3 others for potential damaging misdemeanours).
    And then there is Sturgeon. There are a lot of her "suppoters" who are not very happy with her. Even her most faithful can see the flaws in her out UK, in EU arguments. If she doesn't pull the proverbial bunny out of the hat at the SNP conference in March, then Salmond will be making his weary way from Westminster to Holyrood to take up the reins of power, again.

If Sturgeon goes, she won't be succeeded by Salmond as he is not an MSP
    LOL, it is OchNaw just getting confused.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Twitter benefits from a tax break from San Francisco to keep their offices their which could come under threat as a result of Trump squeezing sanctuary cities. It would be a nice irony if Trump muffled his own megaphone.
    I wouldn't have though muffling his own megaphone was a Donald thing?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,088
    Spain could be bought off for allowing iScotland into the EU with a Spanish enclave in Scotland's 30% of Gibraltar.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

OllyT said:

I'm not sure Labour will have power in 2025, unless someone is prepared to offer them a quid for the meter....
  • Options
    Mr. 86, go on Gab? Apparently, it's sort-of Twitter for people exiled from Twitter.

May end up with the left on Twitter, and the right on Gab.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    Fake News and Then Some.

As others have noted, Spain (and all other EU countries) have a veto over the accession of any countries to the EU. They will consequently make it as difficult as possible to discourage the Catalans and Basques: they'll fight for preferential access to Scottish fishing waters, they'll demand Scotland joins the euro, Schengen, all kinds of shit. Scotland won't get any UK opt-outs or rebates.

Scotland would eventually join, but given that it brings almost nothing to the table (unlike the UK's £10bn yearly contribution) various EU countries would make iScotland's accession HARD.

Ha Ha Ha , we have some real European experts on this site.
  • Options
    Mr. Ace, why would Scotland be entitled to 30% of Gibraltar? Leaving aside the silliness, I'm perplexed by the percentage.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Interesting.

What would Trump do if Twitter ceased to exist? Maybe they should look to get a bailout from the US government.
    It wouldn't take much effort for a member of his team to just repost everything to facebook, instagram, snapchat all all the rest.
    Probably Facebook in all honesty - I know its not quite the same, though I doubt Twitter will properly die...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Interesting.

Use Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook,.....
  • Options

scotslass said:

Carlotta

lol wee Mrs McTurnip seems a bit short of friends

maybe its time to invite The Donald to address the Scottish Parliament
    Dark days when even you are down to using teh Telegraph for Scottish news Alan, not many sane commentators left on here. You should know The Donald was chucked out of Scotland as well.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    HYUFD said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

Why does that mean Border controls at Berwick? There are no border controls between Switzerland and - for example - Germany, and Switzerland is not part of the Single Market.
  • Options

scotslass said:

Carlotta

For sure, after a suitable period using our existing currency that we have a share in. Nice transition period to allow our money to be repatriated.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    tlg86 said:

If Twitter is the reason he loses the court case(s) he might want to shut it down himself
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Perhaps one of Amazon, Facebook or Alphabet (Google) will make a move for Twitter soon ?

Its got a definite strategic value, and the aforementioned companies could just buy 50 zetaflops of extra power to run it all whilst sacking almost every layer of management; and a whole bunch of techies too.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited February 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Perhaps one of Amazon, Facebook or Alphabet (Google) will make a move for Twitter soon ?

Its got a definite strategic value, and the aforementioned companies could just buy 50 zetaflops of extra power to run it all whilst sacking almost every layer of management.

Google recently bought a bit of Twitter...the development arm that created the ability to embed content.

The problem for any company looking to buy Twitter as a service is despite having a massive user base, they have little idea about who those people are. Google, Amazon, Facebook make their money because they known everything about everything about their users.

I guess if they did purchase it, they could make you tie it to an account with real info. The problem is Twitter tech is crap and they know from research y that the @/#/etc system confuses vast percentage of people so would need a massive overhaul.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Interesting.

Twitter is on a suicide bombing mission - my TL is full of people throttled, banned/on yet another new account from scratch. They even suspended the official Gab account and were shamed into restoring it. That smelled like anti-trust too.

The throttling video is spot on - any regular Twitter user has seen it - its the same with Periscope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAAUD7jtFas
  • Options
    Neil is an absolute tit
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2017
    For opinion poll geeks this new international report from Ipsos is fascinating:
    https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Polls/What-Worries-the-World-Nov-2016-Great Britain-charts.pdf
    Lots of conclusions to draw. Look at slide 5 and see what a completely miserable place France is. I wonder how that plays into the election there.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

Because there is an ocean (and a lot of bloody history) between the island of Ireland and Great Britain, so it makes sense to police migrants, trade, when they are on boats and planes heading to the mainland, thus avoiding a provocative hard border at Derry.

Indeed this is what is now being discussed: electronic monitoring of cars and citizens crossing into Ulster from Ireland, and more customs and policework on the ferries and planes.

The land border between Scotland and England is an entirely different matter. It would make a nonsense of our new tougher migration laws if any EU citizen could fly to Scotland then simply walk, bus or drive into England and look for work.

There would be some form of hard-ish border. And what about tariffs? I don't think (sadly) we will get completely tariff free and NTB-free access to the Single Market, so an iScotland in the EU would face tariffs on its goods, coming into England.
    YOU must be having a good evening
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

Why does that mean Border controls at Berwick? There are no border controls between Switzerland and - for example - Germany, and Switzerland is not part of the Single Market.
    Switzerland is in Schengen.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

Because there is an ocean (and a lot of bloody history) between the island of Ireland and Great Britain, so it makes sense to police migrants, trade, when they are on boats and planes heading to the mainland, thus avoiding a provocative hard border at Derry.

Indeed this is what is now being discussed: electronic monitoring of cars and citizens crossing into Ulster from Ireland, and more customs and policework on the ferries and planes.

The land border between Scotland and England is an entirely different matter. It would make a nonsense of our new tougher migration laws if any EU citizen could fly to Scotland then simply walk, bus or drive into England and look for work.

There would be some form of hard-ish border. And what about tariffs? I don't think (sadly) we will get completely tariff free and NTB-free access to the Single Market, so an iScotland in the EU would face tariffs on its goods, coming into England.
    So a history of violence is what is required to soften the border? Are you seriously suggesting that a hard internal border is placed between NI and rUK? So passports required between one part of the UK and another?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Isn't radical reform of the French labour laws exactly what Fillon wants?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

An independent Scotland would start life outside the EU and be forced to join the queue for membership, the European Commission’s official representative in the UK has said in a major blow to Nicola Sturgeon’s Brexit strategy.

Jacqueline Minor said Jean Claude Juncker, the commission’s president, had made clear there would be no more states admitted until 2020 – the year after the UK is expected to leave the European Union. She said there are several countries waiting to become member states, including Montenegro and Serbia, and an independent Scotland “would join that list.” This would mean Scotland being outside both the UK and EU for an indeterminate period.

With the SNP’s leadership reviewing their stance on currency, she said a separate Scotland would have to commit in principle to joining the euro to get membership and show how it intended to bring down its huge deficit, which is even larger than Greece’s.

Not what she said on Scottish TV last night, but then why woudo you expect the lying Torygraph to be printing the truth.
    So The National has got it wrong too?

Jacqueline Minor, the head of representation for the European Commission in the UK, warned Scotland would have to join a list of candidate countries, including Turkey Montenegro, Serbia, and Bosnia and Herzegovina.

http://www.thenational.scot/news/15082727.Independent_Scotland_meets_criteria_for_EU_membership__says_top_official/
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

So a history of violence is what is required to soften the border? Are you seriously suggesting that a hard internal border is placed between NI and rUK? So passports required between one part of the UK and another?

The Unionists in NI would love a hard internal border, I am sure.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

Switzerland is in Schengen.
    No technical or legal reason we couldn't be outside the EU and in schengen.

The sell to leave areas might be a bit tricky mind.
  • Options

Good luck with that...hollande tried to get through the most minor labour reforms and it was all out war.
  • Options

As with Schroeder in Germany, they'll need someone from the left to make it happen. Step forward Mr Macron.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    A brief note on the UKIP gain in Tendring last night . Contrary to an earlier post on the thread , the ward is not in Clacton but Harwich and North Essex . It appears that the winning UKIP candidate was a Faragist and not a supporter of Carswell though the losing Conservative candidate is a Carswell supporter and sitiing councillor on Essex CC elected as UKIP but via Tendring First is now a Conservative
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

So passports required between one part of the UK and another?
    You'd know that photo ID is already required to travel within the CTA, if you'd ever used it.....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Its got a definite strategic value, and the aforementioned companies could just buy 50 zetaflops of extra power to run it all whilst sacking almost every layer of management; and a whole bunch of techies too.

And their advertising team - it's terrible, random, nothing related to my preferences. If I see another advert for cloud computing, Critrix or merchant bank wealth investment...
  • Options
    edited February 2017

malcolmg said:

http://www.thenational.scot/news/15082727.Independent_Scotland_meets_criteria_for_EU_membership__says_top_official/
    ...she said, Scotland, unlike other countries, would already meet much of the criteria of membership

Front of the queue.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Interesting.

If he went to Gab...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135

A brief note on the UKIP gain in Tendring last night . Contrary to an earlier post on the thread , the ward is not in Clacton but Harwich and North Essex . It appears that the winning UKIP candidate was a Faragist and not a supporter of Carswell though the losing Conservative candidate is a Carswell supporter and sitiing councillor on Essex CC elected as UKIP but via Tendring First is now a Conservative

And we thought the Judean Peoples Front’s schisms were comedy.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

...she said, Scotland, unlike other countries, would already meet much of the criteria of membership

Front of the queue.
    Where does she say that?

She doesn't, does she?
  • Options

The second question if easy: you should vote Labour is you do not want a Tory government.

That attitude is precisely why Labour is in such a mess.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Interesting.

It wouldn't take much effort for a member of his team to just repost everything to facebook, instagram, snapchat all all the rest.
    Probably Facebook in all honesty - I know its not quite the same, though I doubt Twitter will properly die...
    IIRC - Trump has about 25m following across platorms already - I've watched live WH on FB
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

malcolmg said:

Jacqueline Minor, the head of representation for the European Commission in the UK, warned Scotland would have to join a list of candidate countries, including Turkey Montenegro, Serbia, and Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Scotland joining would be much quicker than the Balkans, because it already meets all the accession criteria and all existing regulations are in place. It would all go through much more swiftly.

• Options

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

So passports required between one part of the UK and another?
    You'd know that photo ID is already required to travel within the CTA, if you'd ever used it.....
    Sorry, to answer my question, will I need a passport to take a boat from Liverpool to Belfast? So a hard border between one part of the UK and another?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

malcolmg said:

Front of the queue.
    Seems if you ask two EU officials about Scotland, you get three opinions. I'd love to see a well-argued thread by a Nat about EXACTLY how they see things panning out once Article 50 is triggered. Showing their workings, not just vague, bombastic assertions. Any takers?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Front of the queue.
    Where does she say that?

She doesn't, does she?
    So now the National has got it wrong? Make your mind up!
  • Options

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

The Unionists in NI would love a hard internal border, I am sure.

Yes I can imagine being seen as a quasi-independent external territory will go down really well on the Shankhill Road.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,090
    edited February 2017

The second question if easy: you should vote Labour is you do not want a Tory government.

That attitude is precisely why Labour is in such a mess.
    Negative campaigning about the other side without pointing out the merits of your case isn't working well recently

"Don't vote Remain, Don't let the others have control"
This discussion has been closed.