Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The music stops. Who would grab the chair if Jeremy Corbyn ste

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The music stops. Who would grab the chair if Jeremy Corbyn steps down?

From the start of his leadership of the Labour party, many Labour MPs struggled to contain their doubts about him.  Even before Jeremy Corbyn was elected leader, Mike Gapes was quoted as saying: “I’ll show him as much loyalty as he showed other leaders.”  Within three months, nearly a third of his party including his own shadow Foreign Secretary were in mutiny against his preferred line on airstrikes on Syria.  By the following March, his team had categorised MPs into gradations of loyalty.  Only 19 were described as “core group”.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    First! Are we really going to have a third leadership election in as many years?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited February 2017
    (disclosure, I backed Rebecca Long-Bailey at odds of up to 350/1 last October).

Is that disclosure, or boasting, or winding up @TheScreamingEagles ?
  • Options
    Third! Like SLAB......
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Excellent analysis - I've taken your advice and greened up by laying an earlier position on Lewis.

Does anyone know whether the deputy speakers count for the purposes of 15% of Labour MPs?
    If my maths is right it's the difference between needing 34 or 35 MPs...

Presumably the left will get a candidate on the ballot... Otherwise there will be an almighty row.
  • Options
    Ed Miliband's legacy is going to haunt Labour for at least a decade.
  • Options
    Charles said:

All of them. You knew that, Charles...

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,300
    RobD said:

First! Are we really going to have a third leadership election in as many years?

Why not? The money raised from the £25 voters would be very useful to the party. Indeed, there's an argument for having a contested election every twelve months anyway on that basis.

Of course, it would look rather stupid, self-indulgent and childish but they already look stupid, self-indulgent and childish now. At least this way they would be rich as well.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited February 2017
    Morning all.

First-rate round up of where Labour now stands and how they got there Mr Meeks, I think it fair to say that the pool of potential successors is very shallow indeed and although speculation has shifted from one MP to another over the last few months to finally rest upon Ms Long-Bailey, IMO she stands very little chance and is simply not up to the task.

Len McCluskey is the bellwether to watch out for, his words carry far more weight than a disgruntled MP, leaking to the press.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Can I make the case for Jon Ashworth?

I have been watching him for sometime as a local MP (parachuted into Leicester South following Peter Soulsbys election as mayor of Leicester). A Brownite politically, and well connected with unions and NEC. Support needs to be from more than the PLP. He is one of the few mainstream MPs to sit in Corbyns Shadow Cabinet, and has the Health portfolio, one close to Labours heart and the public sector unions. On Brexit he seems to be pragmatic, and followed the whip despite his own constituency voting Remain. He has that John Major like quality of rising without trace.

I backed him some time ago, but his rise continues, with active campaigning in the byelections as well as other recent appearances such as this:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/society/2016/dec/30/alcoholic-father-inspires-shadow-health-minister-jonathan-ashworth&ved=0ahUKEwjnns23-YTSAhVKJ8AKHRdGCqYQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNGVSSGMmpxsZ7BoYIJeWvp3EDfFHw&sig2=ce8qxs426EKD0VAczv8SgQ
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Why not? The money raised from the £25 voters would be very useful to the party. Indeed, there's an argument for having a contested election every twelve months anyway on that basis.

Of course, it would look rather stupid, self-indulgent and childish but they already look stupid, self-indulgent and childish now. At least this way they would be rich as well.
    I recall that Corbyn in his first campaign wanted annual reselections of leader. Now he has it!
  • Options

I have been watching him for sometime as a local MP (parachuted into Leicester South following Peter Soulsbys election as mayor of Leicester). A Brownite politically, and well connected with unions and NEC. Support needs to be from more than the PLP. He is one of the few mainstream MPs to sit in Corbyns Shadow Cabinet, and has the Health portfolio, one close to Labours heart and the public sector unions. On Brexit he seems to be pragmatic, and followed the whip despite his own constituency voting Remain. He has that John Major like quality of rising without trace.

I backed him some time ago, but his rise continues, with active campaigning in the byelections as well as other recent appearances such as this:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/society/2016/dec/30/alcoholic-father-inspires-shadow-health-minister-jonathan-ashworth&ved=0ahUKEwjnns23-YTSAhVKJ8AKHRdGCqYQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNGVSSGMmpxsZ7BoYIJeWvp3EDfFHw&sig2=ce8qxs426EKD0VAczv8SgQ

SPAD with no experience outside of politics. I think that hurts his chances with membership....
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

SPAD with no experience outside of politics. I think that hurts his chances with membership....
    On the other hand he is a working class northerner, and a capable organiser. He may well be the Brown to someone elses Blair but at 90 on Betfair at present is value. He would be a unity candidate.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Alastair and myself are no longer playing that game of oneupmanship after another PBer pointed out he backed Miss Long-Bailey at odds of over 500/1.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

I recall that Corbyn in his first campaign wanted annual reselections of leader. Now he has it!
    Well technically that happens anyway I believe. It's just that usually the leader is re-elected unopposed.

The Tories had something similar from 1965 to 1998 - so Thatcher technically fought 16 leadership elections, not three. But the threshold for challengers was so steep that even in the dog days of the Major government, they didn't bother to stand (except for that time in 1995 when he resigned to call their bluff and Redwood stood).
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Has Brexit saved the NHS?
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Considering that Corbyn has a massive person support from the membership of the LP, I don't think you should be looking in his direction for the next change of leader.
    May is in considerable danger of being replaced. Conservative MP's are notorious in their support for holding the Executive to account. May's actions in trying to retain personal control of the Brexit timetable and negotiations without allowing MP's the right to question her, makes her look petty and as if she really has no idea of what she is doing. Though the Tory MP's are presently propping her up, that support could quickly vanish (along with the 30 odd MP's under investigation for electoral fraud and at least 3 others for potential damaging misdemeanours).
    And then there is Sturgeon. There are a lot of her "suppoters" who are not very happy with her. Even her most faithful can see the flaws in her out UK, in EU arguments. If she doesn't pull the proverbial bunny out of the hat at the SNP conference in March, then Salmond will be making his weary way from Westminster to Holyrood to take up the reins of power, again.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,319
    Is there an argument that it might just be worth the centre right of the party waiting this out a bit longer? Firstly, the current shambles is discrediting not only Corbyn but the left more generally. Secondly, the continued musical chairs in the shadow cabinet is making it impossible for those who might have come to prominence that way to have any impact. And thirdly, and probably most importantly, there is evidence that the new members Corbyn brought in to enhance his win are drifting away and fighting each other.

As Alastair points out it is not enough for the centre to get nominated, they need to coalesce behind candidates that can appeal to the membership. If that membership is once again evolving into something slightly different then time would help.

Take someone like Chukka Umunna. He would have no problem being nominated but would have little appeal to the current membership. Only when they are convinced that a new start is needed after an almighty shambles and some of Corbyn's supporters have drifted away will he be a real prospect. We are not there yet, bad though things are.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    What a pitiful lack of ability in the Labour ranks. Think - there's a job vacancy where you work. How many of them would you employ as a junior team member? Then, as your boss? Then, as your CEO? Yet these candidates are saying they are up to running the country.

Fire the head-hunter you've employed, and start the search afresh.
  • Options
    Lib Dem vote increases of 40% and 20% to take two seats off the Tories, plus a rare UKIP gain (but it was in Clacton and from an Independent)

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 8h8 hours ago
    Fairford North (Cotswold) result:
    LDEM: 68.1% (+40.2)
    CON: 30.1% (-20.9)
    GRN: 1.8% (+1.8)

Waterside (North Norfolk) result:
    LDEM: 55.1% (+19.8)
    CON: 34.8% (-4.8)
    UKIP: 6.5% (+6.5)
    LAB: 3.5% (-8.5)

Great & Little Oakley (Tendring) result:
    UKIP: 36.8% (+14.1)
    CON: 29.1% (+1.4)
    LAB: 19.9% (+5.5)
    LDEM: 14.1% (+14.1)
    No Independent as prev.

Kingswood & Hazel Leys (Corby) result:
    LAB: 64.6% (+10.3)
    CON: 26.7% (+12.5)
    GRN: 8.7% (-1.1)
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Worrying. A lot of my bets have been based on an assumption that Corbyn would fight the 2020 election: Labour vote share 20-25%, Balls next leader...
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    OchEye said:

Considering that Corbyn has a massive person support from the membership of the LP, I don't think you should be looking in his direction for the next change of leader.
    May is in considerable danger of being replaced. Conservative MP's are notorious in their support for holding the Executive to account. May's actions in trying to retain personal control of the Brexit timetable and negotiations without allowing MP's the right to question her, makes her look petty and as if she really has no idea of what she is doing. Though the Tory MP's are presently propping her up, that support could quickly vanish (along with the 30 odd MP's under investigation for electoral fraud and at least 3 others for potential damaging misdemeanours).
    And then there is Sturgeon. There are a lot of her "suppoters" who are not very happy with her. Even her most faithful can see the flaws in her out UK, in EU arguments. If she doesn't pull the proverbial bunny out of the hat at the SNP conference in March, then Salmond will be making his weary way from Westminster to Holyrood to take up the reins of power, again.

Is this the Scottish Labour Party view? If so, it's an interesting insight.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Is there an argument that it might just be worth the centre right of the party waiting this out a bit longer? Firstly, the current shambles is discrediting not only Corbyn but the left more generally. Secondly, the continued musical chairs in the shadow cabinet is making it impossible for those who might have come to prominence that way to have any impact. And thirdly, and probably most importantly, there is evidence that the new members Corbyn brought in to enhance his win are drifting away and fighting each other.

As Alastair points out it is not enough for the centre to get nominated, they need to coalesce behind candidates that can appeal to the membership. If that membership is once again evolving into something slightly different then time would help.

Take someone like Chukka Umunna. He would have no problem being nominated but would have little appeal to the current membership. Only when they are convinced that a new start is needed after an almighty shambles and some of Corbyn's supporters have drifted away will he be a real prospect. We are not there yet, bad though things are.

Ultra groomed metropolitan professionals are going to have to sit things out for many years in the current climate. Look for people who have done "proper jobs" and those from the school of hard knocks.
  • Options

What a pitiful lack of ability in the Labour ranks. Think - there's a job vacancy where you work. How many of them would you employ as a junior team member? Then, as your boss? Then, as your CEO? Yet these candidates are saying they are up to running the country.

Same problem afflicts Tories. Politics simply doesn't attract the brightest or the best.
  • Options
    ‪From the North of England editor of The Guardian. ‬

https://twitter.com/helenpidd/status/829729605686804480
  • Options

DavidL said:

Ultra groomed metropolitan professionals are going to have to sit things out for many years in the current climate. Look for people who have done "proper jobs" and those from the school of hard knocks.
    You're probably right and it is certainly premature for him or someone like him right now. But there must come a point when a major party like Labour gets bored of losing and willing to compromise with the electorate for success. They did it with Blair and they still bear the scars of that experience but who wants to be in pointless opposition forever?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Excellent analysis - I've taken your advice and greened up by laying an earlier position on Lewis.

Does anyone know whether the deputy speakers count for the purposes of 15% of Labour MPs?

Presumably the left will get a candidate on the ballot... Otherwise there will be an almighty row.

I wouldn't bet on that. Sensible Labour MPs ought to prefer a row and the stomping off of Corbynite members to another unelectable and quite possibly untried leader. There is of course the risk of revenge deselections but that takes organisation and the recently joined Corbynite members don't seem to do organisation very well. Labour MPs ought to have learned their lesson from last time.

That said, the 'wide-debate' culture runs deep in Labour leadership elections and I could still see votes being lent if the left-winger was perceived as acceptable enough to the mainstream, whether that perception was justified or not.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

O/T. Are the Inspectors still with you, Dr? That you are posting suggests that either they’ve gone, or it’s going well!
    Hope hat it’s both!
  • Options
    Labour need to find its Michael Howard figure. Someone who can...

Bring talents back into play
    Organise and unite
    Aggressively opppse the govt.
    Be a credible PM candidate
    Create a space for the next generation to develop.

So possibly...

Balls
    Benn
    Cooper

• Options
    edited February 2017

rkrkrk said:

I wouldn't bet on that. Sensible Labour MPs ought to prefer a row and the stomping off of Corbynite members to another unelectable and quite possibly untried leader. There is of course the risk of revenge deselections but that takes organisation and the recently joined Corbynite members don't seem to do organisation very well. Labour MPs ought to have learned their lesson from last time.

That said, the 'wide-debate' culture runs deep in Labour leadership elections and I could still see votes being lent if the left-winger was perceived as acceptable enough to the mainstream, whether that perception was justified or not.
    Reselections seem to be a myth. When we look at the selections for all byelections under Corbyn, all the constituency parties have been free to pick local candidates, usually councillors, and often with a track record of opposing Corbyn, without interference. MPs with support of their CLPs have little or nothing to fear.
  • Options
    Margeret Hodge
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Well technically that happens anyway I believe. It's just that usually the leader is re-elected unopposed.

The Tories had something similar from 1965 to 1998 - so Thatcher technically fought 16 leadership elections, not three. But the threshold for challengers was so steep that even in the dog days of the Major government, they didn't bother to stand (except for that time in 1995 when he resigned to call their bluff and Redwood stood).
    I believe that there is (or was) *provision* for an annual Labour leadership election every year, in that anyone could gather nominations before a set date, and if such a nomination from a challenger was received then that would kick off the process. I don't know whether that annual timetable still exists or whether the process is ad hoc now, rather like a Tory VoNC in the leader, and is triggered simply on the submission of a valid nomination.

You're right of course that the Tories from 1975 to 1995 actually did have annual elections but that most of the time the incumbent leader was elected unopposed.

I don't think that Heath faced annual elections: IIRC, it was a provision introduced in the Douglas-Home reforms to the rules in 1975 (and then used immediately), hence the rather unfair description given to the amendments as 'Alec's Revenge'. In reality, Douglas-Home had no reason to be vengeful: he stood down entirely of his own accord and Heath would certainly not have become leader had he been instrumental in any plot to oust his predecessor.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Organise and unite

So possibly...

Balls
    Benn
    Cooper

It's a problem that the first and best of these is not in Parliament and not so far showing any strong desire to return. Labour badly need him.
  • Options
    Burgon. Well why not...
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

On the other hand he is a working class northerner, and a capable organiser. He may well be the Brown to someone elses Blair but at 90 on Betfair at present is value. He would be a unity candidate.
    At those odds, I think you are right. I just got a little on at 99/1.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

All of them. You knew that, Charles...

Never ask a question to which you don't know the answer

#LearningfromDavidCameronsmistakes
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

TBH, too many of them seem barely credible as MPs - and I don't mean that in a sneering way - with all the competition for getting a candidacy, the quality seems bizarrely poor at times.

I really do not like Sadiq - esp his slippery character - but he's head and shoulders above many others.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Hmm... Corbyn was clearly way out of the labour mainstream and needed a lot of loaned votes. I could imagine that attenpts to get McDonnell on the ballot would be doomed.

But is it clear for instance that Clive Lewis is unelectable?
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Tory MPs will not replace a winning leader and last night's local by-elections notwithstanding, as long as Corbyn is there, she'll be a winning leader.

Remember that May received the biggest support of any candidate in an open, contested Tory leadership election from her MPs with more than 60% in the 'round of three', which compares with 46% for Cameron, 33% for IDS (which was just behind Clarke in that round), 38% for Hague (also behind Clarke, who won 39%), 50% for Major, 53% for Thatcher (in a round of five but which passed the threshold necessary for victory) and 50% for Heath.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

O/T. Are the Inspectors still with you, Dr? That you are posting suggests that either they’ve gone, or it’s going well!
    Hope hat it’s both!
    Thanks for asking. They have gone, which is a relief. I don't have the official feedback yet (obviously) but the Head seemed pretty happy last night when he spoke to me. Apparently three subjects were specifically mentioned for the excellent quality of different aspects of their teaching - one was History. If that comes through in the final report I shall be a very happy bunny!
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    edited February 2017
    Jonathan said:

So possibly...

Balls
    Benn
    Cooper

They badly need Balls back in parliament. Not because he will win them the next election, but because he will get a grip on the current shambles... put a bit of stick about, make'em jump... so to speak. Also someone who is known to be tough, a shrewd operator with good union links. The others are able as well, but it is difficult seeing them giving the troublemakers the hairdryer treatment, which is what seems to be badly in need at the moment.

• Options

Burgon. Well why not...

If only someone had tipped him at 100/1 last summer.
  • Options
    Liz Kendall
    Let's build on the 4% from last time.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Reselections seem to be a myth. When we look at the selections for all byelections under Corbyn, all the constituency parties have been free to pick local candidates, usually councillors, and often with a track record of opposing Corbyn, without interference. MPs with support of their CLPs have little or nothing to fear.
    Indeed there was a lot of talk about them a year ago or so... Ssend to have just been talk unless others know better?

I agree with Mr. Meeks that membership won't default to the left wing candidate... They will be looking to be inspired and given hope that they can win without sacrificing principles.

Interesting also whether Corbyn will nominate or even lobby for a favoured replacement or whether he will try to stay out of it?
  • Options
    I see that the Tories are virtue signalling again :-)

https://twitter.com/foreignoffice/status/829955584782852096
  • Options

twitter.com/foreignoffice/status/829955584782852096

I didn't think the Tories did quotas :open_mouth:

• Options
    DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

Organise and unite

So possibly...

Balls
    Benn
    Cooper

It's a problem that the first and best of these is not in Parliament and not so far showing any strong desire to return. Labour badly need him.
    Gordon Brown?
  • Options

They got tagged on not paying cleaners London living wage recently...
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    ok made a right mess of that.
  • Options
    An independent Scotland would start life outside the EU and be forced to join the queue for membership, the European Commission’s official representative in the UK has said in a major blow to Nicola Sturgeon’s Brexit strategy.

Jacqueline Minor said Jean Claude Juncker, the commission’s president, had made clear there would be no more states admitted until 2020 – the year after the UK is expected to leave the European Union. She said there are several countries waiting to become member states, including Montenegro and Serbia, and an independent Scotland “would join that list.” This would mean Scotland being outside both the UK and EU for an indeterminate period.

With the SNP’s leadership reviewing their stance on currency, she said a separate Scotland would have to commit in principle to joining the euro to get membership and show how it intended to bring down its huge deficit, which is even larger than Greece’s.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/10/european-commission-independent-scotland-would-have-join-queue/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,807

6% of its leadership? Sounds like a double edged sword. If the leadership is not that large you can reach the percentage with only a few appointments, but on the other hand if you need to make efficiencies and cut the level of management and some are LGBT, your percentage could drop massively from only a few changes.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    Jonathan said:

Organise and unite

So possibly...

Balls
    Benn
    Cooper

Has Balls gone *too* showbiz?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Jonathan said:

Depends if it needs nurses or not...

Nurses from Europe are turning their backs on Britain, according to new figures showing the number registering to work here since the Brexit referendum has fallen by 90 per cent.

Just 101 nurses and midwives from other European nations joined the register to work here last month - a drop from 1,304 in July, the month immediately after the referendum, official figures show.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/01/25/number-eu-nurses-coming-uk-falls-90-per-cent-since-brexit-vote/
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    All part of the plan - unite all peoples against him, so they ll as one fall behind an anointed successor. Genius, he's not the leader they need, but he's creating the necessary conditions for transformation and rebirth.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Organise and unite

So possibly...

Balls
    Benn
    Cooper

Michael Howard only became possible because the Tory party, after 15 years of infighting, two landslide defeats and the prospect of a third on the cards (ignore the polls at the time: when faced with the reality of a Blair-IDS election, even post-Iraq, the anti-Labour Tory support would have melted like Miliband's against Cameron), the Tory Party in parliament and in the country was in a mood to get serious and unite. I'm not seeing any evidence of a similar process within Labour at the moment. It's possible that the corner has been turned and that some are marching back from the emotions to pragmatism but that process is very far from sufficiently complete for any candidate to 'do a Howard'. Several candidates, however, could do a damn sight better than Corbyn.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

Nurses from Europe are turning their backs on Britain, according to new figures showing the number registering to work here since the Brexit referendum has fallen by 90 per cent.

Just 101 nurses and midwives from other European nations joined the register to work here last month - a drop from 1,304 in July, the month immediately after the referendum, official figures show.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/01/25/number-eu-nurses-coming-uk-falls-90-per-cent-since-brexit-vote/
    True enough, but the ONE thing that any post Brexit administration can not do is cut NHS funding or embark on any ideological reorganisation.

Brexit means NHS
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045

Jonathan said:

So possibly...

Balls
    Benn
    Cooper

They badly need Balls back in parliament. Not because he will win them the next election, but because he will get a grip on the current shambles... put a bit of stick about, make'em jump... so to speak. Also someone who is known to be tough, a shrewd operator with good union links. The others are able as well, but it is difficult seeing them giving the troublemakers the hairdryer treatment, which is what seems to be badly in need at the moment.
    Labour have moved from a paranoid, ultra-controlling Brown to a don't-give-a-f Corbyn. In between they passed through a rather wet Miliband.

Immediately after GE2015, I never thought I'd be looking back at Miliband's time as Labour leader as a glorious example of leadership. But it was, at least when compared to Corbyn.

Bring Back Miliband!
  • Options

Looks hideously white to me.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Genius, he's not the leader they need, but he's creating the necessary conditions for transformation and rebirth.

Doesn't "transformation and rebirth" imply reincarnation, which means death?
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

Sir Francis of Mid Staffs has also done an interesting interview in the Health Service Journal, with excerpts readable here via an HSJ correspondant.

https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/829815031374159872

Of course a significant improvement in pay and conditions may help retention of British trained Nurses and Doctors. Brexiterrs should love that immigrants will no longer be undercutting the conditions of British workers!
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Worrying. A lot of my bets have been based on an assumption that Corbyn would fight the 2020 election: Labour vote share 20-25%, Balls next leader...

That's an extremely dangerous assumption.

Remember the 2005-10 parliament and all the plots against Brown (which admittedly never succeeded, but then Brown knew how the power of party and parliamentary politics worked). We haven't even reached the equivalent point in the parliament yet where Brown became PM, never mind started being challenged.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

An independent Scotland would start life outside the EU and be forced to join the queue for membership, the European Commission’s official representative in the UK has said in a major blow to Nicola Sturgeon’s Brexit strategy.

Jacqueline Minor said Jean Claude Juncker, the commission’s president, had made clear there would be no more states admitted until 2020 – the year after the UK is expected to leave the European Union. She said there are several countries waiting to become member states, including Montenegro and Serbia, and an independent Scotland “would join that list.” This would mean Scotland being outside both the UK and EU for an indeterminate period.

With the SNP’s leadership reviewing their stance on currency, she said a separate Scotland would have to commit in principle to joining the euro to get membership and show how it intended to bring down its huge deficit, which is even larger than Greece’s.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/10/european-commission-independent-scotland-would-have-join-queue/

It surely would be easier for Scotland to progress in the process than others though? Turkey has been on the list the longest but it sure as hell won't be the next to join. So how long realistically might it take?

The currency issue sounds more difficult, politically, but I'll guess they'll cross that bridge when the come to it - if they win, it will be both more people positively convinced by the snp pitch, and more people willing to risk negatives.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Yes, I agree. There'd be some fulmination from Corbynite members if all left-wing / inexperienced candidates were kept off the ballot but I doubt it would read across into many deselections at all (though Leeds Central is one possible where it might).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Genius, he's not the leader they need, but he's creating the necessary conditions for transformation and rebirth.

Details, details. Glorious poppies flourish amidst carnage, and Jeremy is preparing that carnage very well for his successor and should be thanked,

• Options

Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

Sir Francis of Mid Staffs has also done an interesting interview in the Health Service Journal, with excerpts readable here via an HSJ correspondant.

https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/829815031374159872

Of course a significant improvement in pay and conditions may help retention of British trained Nurses and Doctors. Brexiterrs should love that immigrants will no longer be undercutting the conditions of British workers!
    When a report such as the *second* Francis report is accepted by a government, there should be a process to be followed where the individual recommendations are either accepted or rejected. The ones that are accepted should then be tracked to show progress.

It's far too easy for warm words to be given to the recommendations when the report is in the news, only for them to be forgotten about at the earliest convenience.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Hopefully there will be a market on the gender of the next Labour leader.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

A problem for the PLP may be that now the general principle of triggering Article 50 has passed the Commons, attention will turn (after the Lords stop dicking about, assuming they do so) to particulars. This should present a much easier time for Labour in terms of criticism, and a more challenging time for May in terms of support.

Worth recalling Brown was down (well, Brown-led Labour) to 19% at one point. I wonder what Miliband's nadir was.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Well, they didn't mention their BAME targets. Though people can be white and minority ethnic. White(other)after all.though admittedly it's not what would first spring to mind.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

A problem for the PLP may be that now the general principle of triggering Article 50 has passed the Commons, attention will turn (after the Lords stop dicking about, assuming they do so) to particulars. This should present a much easier time for Labour in terms of criticism, and a more challenging time for May in terms of support.

Worth recalling Brown was down (well, Brown-led Labour) to 19% at one point. I wonder what Miliband's nadir was.

While true, there are not that many levers that can be pulled to change things. Most discussion will happen between senior officials and will be confidential. I am sure ministers will get reports, but how much leaks out who knows. Of course there will be plenty of grandstanding in the media from all sides, but who knows how much resemblance that holds to the substance happening behind closed doors. The first time parliament will get to offer a substantive opinion on the subject is likely to be when they get their take-it-or-leave-it vote. To be fair this is much as is the case with any other treaty.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

They are going to have to cut a lot of staff to get it down to 6%.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Details, details. Glorious poppies flourish amidst carnage, and Jeremy is preparing that carnage very well for his successor and should be thanked,

Ah, yes. As the terrorist in the film Sourcecode puts it, "We can rebuild from the rubble, but first there has to be rubble"

Corbyn is turning the Labour Party into rubble more effectively than any leader before him.

All hail!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

htt://twitter.com/cnn/status/829892081241972736

He shouldn't get too punchy - it doesn't matter who is first out of the blocks, it's who first crosses the finishing line, and who there's always a chance the final court can surprise.
  • Options
    Isn't the whole thing a bit moot? (Without a rules change and a new membership)
  • Options
    I note the foreign office tweet doesn't say they were the first to agree such a target, so who was, nor does it say they have achieved it, and if they haven't when are they expecting to?

I need more info, stupid twitter character limit.
  • Options

Essexit said:

That's an extremely dangerous assumption.

Remember the 2005-10 parliament and all the plots against Brown (which admittedly never succeeded, but then Brown knew how the power of party and parliamentary politics worked). We haven't even reached the equivalent point in the parliament yet where Brown became PM, never mind started being challenged.
    Now you tell me! To be fair, Corbyn has ignored an overwhelming VoNC and successfully fought off a formal leadership challenge, which suggested he'd be there for the duration.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    kle4 said:

6% of its leadership? Sounds like a double edged sword. If the leadership is not that large you can reach the percentage with only a few appointments, but on the other hand if you need to make efficiencies and cut the level of management and some are LGBT, your percentage could drop massively from only a few changes.
    Why 6%, is that meant to be the figure for the population generally? And will people game the system by self identifying as lgbt? And why is the pledge not 1.5% each, to protect say the Ls from contending that the whole 6% has been hijacked by G white men?

And while I'm at it what is all this stuff about prepubescent schoolchildren being given gender reassignment? At that age I hadn't a clue about what I was really like in this respect or any other but I might have made the claim because I thought it was cool and or to annoy my parents. How can they give informed consent to any kind of medical intervention?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Well, they didn't mention their BAME targets. Though people can be white and minority ethnic. White(other)after all.though admittedly it's not what would first spring to mind.
    Perhaps there's an explanatory footnote on p.2
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Corbyn made clear this week he is not going anywhere and is staying so this is all hypothetical for now. However I would also not rule out John McDonnell if he did step down, Labour would need a hwavy hitter not a novice to have a chance of landing any blows on an incumbent PM in a strong position mid Parliament and McDonnell would at least be less of a risk with the Corbynista membership. He is also Shadow Chancellor which is exactly the position Michael Howard was in when he succeeded IDS midway through the 2001 to 2005 Parliament
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Corbyn made clear this week he is not going anywhere and is staying so this is all hypothetical for now. However I would also not rule out John McDonnell if he did step down, Labour would need a hwavy hitter not a novice to have a chance of landing any blows on an incumbent PM in a strong position mid Parliament and McDonnell would at least be less of a risk with the Corbynista membership. He is also Shadow Chancellor which is exactly the position Michael Howard was in when he succeeded IDS midway through the 2001 to 2005 Parliament

They don't call him McMao for nothing though! He's a deeply, deeply tainted commie with terrorist buddies. I'm all in favour! :-)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Hope hat it’s both!
    Thanks for asking. They have gone, which is a relief. I don't have the official feedback yet (obviously) but the Head seemed pretty happy last night when he spoke to me. Apparently three subjects were specifically mentioned for the excellent quality of different aspects of their teaching - one was History. If that comes through in the final report I shall be a very happy bunny!
    Congratulations. It’s always good when it’s over, and gone well. Especially personally.

No, I wasn’t a teacher but my wife was, and two of my grandchildren are.
  • Options

Commies, pinkos and traitors.
  • Options
    On topic, I'd agree with those saying formal challenge should wait. Even though corbyn will, I suspect, get a boost from winning Copeland and stoke, his fundamentals are still awful so more low points will come, and anecdata seems to suggest some of the core membership support is finally feeling the weight of the mountain that is corbyn negatives.

It's been said the party needed new MPs or new membership to square the circle of their leadership crisis almost 18 months in progress, and perhaps there are signs the membership is beginning to change. Let them continue to do so than rush to put up someone so bad corbyn fights on and his core rejuvenates.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Apparently they are really struggling to reach the required quota for transgender Islamic fundamentalists.
  • Options

As opposed to which other party? Surely not the Conservatives whose final choice (except there was no choice) was between a no-mark who'd had a big job title but small job in the City, and a Home Secretary who'd done nothing in six years with the possible exception of ballsing up immigration (ironic that, given the hopes of some Brexiteers).

Perhaps we should raise MPs' pay.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Surely nobody with John McDonnell's history of praising the IRA and dictators could ever become Labour leader?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

It would help if the government restored the bursary for training of domestic nurses that Osborne scrapped
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

It would help if the government restored the bursary for training of domestic nurses that Osborne scrapped
    Agreed.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    when is the vote of no confidence in Bercow svp
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Organise and unite

So possibly...

Balls
    Benn
    Cooper

Or McDonnell
  • Options
    Mr. Root, asked this yesterday, won't be until the 20th at the earliest due to half-term recess.

Also, it didn't get a single mention on the news (BBC) last night.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Until Corbyn or a Corbynista loses a general election there is little point someone like Chuka even bothering to stand
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

Why 6%, is that meant to be the figure for the population generally? And will people game the system by self identifying as lgbt? And why is the pledge not 1.5% each, to protect say the Ls from contending that the whole 6% has been hijacked by G white men?

And while I'm at it what is all this stuff about prepubescent schoolchildren being given gender reassignment? At that age I hadn't a clue about what I was really like in this respect or any other but I might have made the claim because I thought it was cool and or to annoy my parents. How can they give informed consent to any kind of medical intervention?
    The latter point I totally agree with - we rightly don't think children are capable of deciding a great many things with far less impact than that. Without suggesting any or any would make such a request flippantly, we wouldn't let children do many other far less serious things even if they were heartfelt. It's just too young, surely?

Good day all.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It surely would be easier for Scotland to progress in the process than others though? Turkey has been on the list the longest but it sure as hell won't be the next to join. So how long realistically might it take?

The currency issue sounds more difficult, politically, but I'll guess they'll cross that bridge when the come to it - if they win, it will be both more people positively convinced by the snp pitch, and more people willing to risk negatives.
    Yes, Scotland would already be compliant with EU regs, and I'm sure a fudge around the Euro could be found - but issues like currency (need a central bank that isn't the BoE) and deficit - no more Barnett, AND would be a net contributor to the EU might be more difficult. My ex-local paper had an interesting commentary on how the May government's response might be different to the Cameron's

Should the FM tell the forthcoming SNP conference she’s determined to have the vote in 2018, the UK Government can sound intrigued rather than hostile. They will say – ‘OK, let’s sit down and sort out a new agreement on what Indyref2 will look like.’

That is wholly different to letting Nicola re-run 2014. The Tories will be looking to get the SNP involved in a discussion which may not go to Nationalist liking.

The referendum question will be debated – the Scottish Government likes the last one “Should Scotland be an independent country?” Theresa May could change this to – “Should Scotland leave the UK and set up a new currency?” – which is much less appealing.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/365652/exclusive-uk-government-preparing-nicola-sturgeon-demand-indyref2-august-2018-articleisfree/
  • Options
    matt said:

OchEye said:

Is this the Scottish Labour Party view? If so, it's an interesting insight.
    In a grisly 'when will SLab hit single figures in the polls' kind of a way I suppose.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

Agreed.
    Yes post Brexit if we are going to have fewer EU nurses we need to have more domestic ones and that goes for other areas of the public sector and indeed the private sector too
  • Options

As opposed to which other party? Surely not the Conservatives whose final choice (except there was no choice) was between a no-mark who'd had a big job title but small job in the City, and a Home Secretary who'd done nothing in six years with the possible exception of ballsing up immigration (ironic that, given the hopes of some Brexiteers).

Perhaps we should raise MPs' pay.
    We should indeed raise MPs pay. Hugely. Reducing to 600 MPs cuts the total wages bill, but I'd make it £100k for a backbencher, £200k for a Minister, £400k for the PM. Enough for people to consider moving from being a success in the private sector without TOO painful a cut in take home pay.

And I'd be far more aggressive on chucking out expenses claims.
  • Options

kle4 said:

It surely would be easier for Scotland to progress in the process than others though? Turkey has been on the list thecross that bridge when the come to it - if they win, it will be both more people positively convinced by the snp pitch, and more people willing to risk negatives.
    Yes, Scotland would already be compliant with EU regs, and I'm sure a fudge around the Euro could be found - but issues like currency (need a central bank that isn't the BoE) and deficit - no more Barnett, AND would be a net contributor to the EU might be more difficult. My ex-local paper had an interesting commentary on how the May government's response might be different to the Cameron's

Should the FM tell the forthcoming SNP conference she’s determined to have the vote in 2018, the UK Government can sound intrigued rather than hostile. They will say – ‘OK, let’s sit down and sort out a new agreement on what Indyref2 will look like.’

That is wholly different to letting Nicola re-run 2014. The Tories will be looking to get the SNP involved in a discussion which may not go to Nationalist liking.

The referendum question will be debated – the Scottish Government likes the last one “Should Scotland be an independent country?” Theresa May could change this to – “Should Scotland leave the UK and set up a new currency?” – which is much less appealing.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/365652/exclusive-uk-government-preparing-nicola-sturgeon-demand-indyref2-august-2018-articleisfree/
    It is, but make the question different and losing it, if it were lost, might not kill the issue for a generation if it is relatively close. They would claim the question was unfair in how it presented the options.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    kle4 said:

I'd have thought 6% would represent a reduction.
This discussion has been closed.