Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Well this won’t make John Bercow happy but grumpy if only he h

13»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    weejonnie said:

kle4 said:

AnneJGP said:

kle4 said:

Surely the good thing about being a Labour MP uncertain if you want to enter the Shadow Cabinet but knowing you are one of the few left who has not resigned from it or committed to not being in even if asked, is if things go badly something will come along in a few months which will give you a reason to resign as well, limiting the damage, and there are so many former shadow cabinet members most people probably won't remember you were in it, nor will you have spent that much time with Jeremy himself, since depending on your portfolio he probably ignored you anyway. And of course on the off chance things go well, you reap the reward for being a loyal trooper for that unlikely event.

If I may venture to say so without being rude, that post is an excellent and an amazing reflection of the state of the Labour party.

Or, more succinctly, ... eh?

Well, perhaps I could have split it across more than 2 sentences, 90% of them in one sentence.

But in short:

A lot of people have resigned from the shadow cabinet
    Not many are left who are available to fill the posts
    Many who have filled previous vacancies have then resigned not long after
    Therefore one can accept a position, knowing a reason for resignation will come along if needed to save face
    So many have served in the shadow cabinet you can probably avoid criticism for doing so, since few will remember you amid the crowd
    I think the 'eh' was because you started the second sentence with a conjunction ("And"): if you ever feel like doing that, change the full stop for a colon and omit the 'And'.
    I've been trying to avoid colons and semi-colons since I went a bit overboard with them awhile back - it looked like I was sprinkling a code through my text.
  • Options
    I think that leaves Rupa Huq as top junior minister to rebel - I assume she won't be sacked now?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,283
    The SNP voting against CETA seems pretty stupid given that they will need the EU on their side in the referendum campaign and beyond if they win.
  • Options

Did Lindsay Hoyle just give some MPs a rollocking for singing Ode to Joy?

By "some MPs" you mean the SNP mob - the same lot who applaud as if they were at a county council meeting or something like that.
    Yes, they should be showing respect for the mother of parliaments in the prescribed way.
    Barking, bellowing, jeering, finger pointing and the like.
    Heseltine's moment with the mace came after Labour backbenchers sang The Red Flag in the chamber. Perhaps the mace could be brought into more functional use a second time?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,780

FF43 said:

I believe he loses his U.S. nationality automatically the moment he becomes the foreign minister of another country. The assumption is that his allegiance is to the country he is foreign minister of and as such would work against U.S. interests. This would be incompatible with his U.S. nationality.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality/citizenship-and-seeking-public-office.html

Scott_P said:

BoJo not running for President...

https://twitter.com/wsj/status/829395715252170756

"Because there is no administrative presumption that U.S. nationals who hold policy-level positions in foreign governments necessarily intend to retain their U.S. nationality , efforts are made to adjudicate fully such cases to determine the individual's intent. Certain policy level positions are inherently incompatible with retaining U.S. nationality. Cases of this nature generally involve heads of state or foreign ministers. Except with respect to these positions, the Department will not typically consider employment in a policy-level position to lead to loss of nationality if the individual says that he or she did not intend to lose their U.S. nationality and if the individual’s actions were consistent with the retention of U.S. nationality. Actions consistent with the retention of U.S. nationality include, but are not limited to, travel on a U.S. passport, voting in U.S. elections, payment of U.S. taxes, maintenance of a residence in the United States, etc.. In any event each policy-level position case is fully evaluated on a case-by-case basis."

As soon as the US send him the letter, he'd have to give it up. T'was only a matter of time.
    An issue would be organising which date it was from - an argument could be made that an MPs oath of office is an effective renunciation of US citizenship.

Then there is the tax fun - if you have more than $2 million in assets, it gets moderately complicated.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    slade said:

I have spent the last 2 days in Copeland. I stayed overnight in the Trout Inn in Cockermouth where apparently Bing Crosby was a regular visitor back in the day (for the fishing apparently). My general observation is that you would not know there is a bye-election taken place. I drove the whole of the constituency on the A595 and saw precisely 3 posters: one for the LDs on the road out of Keswick, one for Labour in Whitehaven, and one for the Conservatives in Bootle - probably the home of the candidate. So expect a poor turnout. The local churches have arranged a hustings on Saturday but apparently the Labour candidate has refused to attend- replaced by tub of lard?

I think the election poster has been consigned to the dustbin of history as a metric of anything.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: Breaking: Clive Lewis resigns. How long before he challenges Corbyn for leader?

He is in D Miliband's position re Brown now. Either he stands or he falls.

Lewis has until the summer to decide (or organise); the risk of a spring election is good enough reason to wait for now. But once that window closes, he must act. No-one else is in as good a position to challenge and the assumption must be that whoever wins a 2017 leadership election will lead Labour into the general election (which if it's not this Spring won't be until 2019 because of the Brexit negotiations).
  • Options

What happens if you vote down all amendments, but then vote down the "put the bill as it stands to a vote" vote?

Then the Bill fails and never gets to the Lords.
    So why not concentrate fire on that one then?
    If you can defeat a Bill at third reading you should be able to defeat it at second reading.

The problem is that once it gets to the third reading the Commons has already agreed that the Bill should, in principle, be passed (as that's what giving the bill its second reading means). According to Wikipedia (yes, I know) only one post-war government Bill has been defeated in the Commons at third reading.
    I meant, of the two votes tonight - the actual vote and the preceding "put it to a vote" vote - presumably both kill the bill, so why is there a difference in opposition?
    Was there a "put it to the vote" vote? The CommonsVotes app shows nothing between the Euratom amendment and the third reading votes.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,780

FF43 said:

I believe he loses his U.S. nationality automatically the moment he becomes the foreign minister of another country. The assumption is that his allegiance is to the country he is foreign minister of and as such would work against U.S. interests. This would be incompatible with his U.S. nationality.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality/citizenship-and-seeking-public-office.html

Scott_P said:

BoJo not running for President...

https://twitter.com/wsj/status/829395715252170756

I thought he gave it up a while ago, they threatened to make him pay Federal taxes
    If you have US citizenship you have to pay tax, even if living abroad. Most income tax can be written off against UK tax paid, but Capital Gains is a big issue. For most people the cost is the filling in the tax return to say you owe no tax.

And you can't renounce until you've paid your taxes...
  • Options

What happens if you vote down all amendments, but then vote down the "put the bill as it stands to a vote" vote?

If you can defeat a Bill at third reading you should be able to defeat it at second reading.

The problem is that once it gets to the third reading the Commons has already agreed that the Bill should, in principle, be passed (as that's what giving the bill its second reading means). According to Wikipedia (yes, I know) only one post-war government Bill has been defeated in the Commons at third reading.
    I meant, of the two votes tonight - the actual vote and the preceding "put it to a vote" vote - presumably both kill the bill, so why is there a difference in opposition?
    Was there a "put it to the vote" vote? The CommonsVotes app shows nothing between the Euratom amendment and the third reading votes.
    I mean the "stand part" vote. What else does it achieve?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@michaelsavage: Lewis resigns.

Falconer goes next. U heard it here first.

On threat. Tory whacko tries to bring down our John for saying Trump is a wrong un. Good look that !!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PolhomeEditor: So Labour whips Vicky Foxcroft, Thangam Debbonaire and Jeff Smith all voted against the 3-line whip again. That's new politics right there.
  • Options

By "some MPs" you mean the SNP mob - the same lot who applaud as if they were at a county council meeting or something like that.
    Yes, they should be showing respect for the mother of parliaments in the prescribed way.
    Heseltine's moment with the mace came after Labour backbenchers sang The Red Flag in the chamber. Perhaps the mace could be brought into more functional use a second time?
    I've noticed that Heseltine, not the most reactionary of Tories, can still work himself into a lather about Marxists and Reds. Habit of a lifetime I guess.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

The SNP voting against CETA seems pretty stupid given that they will need the EU on their side in the referendum campaign and beyond if they win.

It demonstrates that they don't believe in the direction the EU is going and demonstrates that they would be obstructive members.

• Options

Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: Breaking: Clive Lewis resigns. How long before he challenges Corbyn for leader?

Lewis has until the summer to decide (or organise); the risk of a spring election is good enough reason to wait for now. But once that window closes, he must act. No-one else is in as good a position to challenge and the assumption must be that whoever wins a 2017 leadership election will lead Labour into the general election (which if it's not this Spring won't be until 2019 because of the Brexit negotiations).
    Oh the yearly leadership challenge.

From a betting perspective, great. I am pretty much all green on Labour leaders, starting from laying Hilary Benn at 3.45(! - always wish you'd done more of course :P) also laid Angela at 2.8, Smith at 2... of course I backed some of those losers as well, but there's clearly a great opportunity there.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Oh the yearly leadership challenge.

From a betting perspective, great.
    Also good for the party finances, charge a fee for entry again!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322

No there wasn't.

Confusion was the vote on the Clauses 1 and 2 in Committee.

3 types of vote today:

IN COMMITTEE:
    Clauses 1 and 2 - Govt voted Yes
    All other New Clauses and amendments - Govt voted No

3RD READING - Govt voted Yes

Lewis got confused re Clauses 1 and 2!
  • Options
    77.78% of Lib Dem MPs voted with the whip (Mulholland and Lamb abstained).

70.74% of Labour MPs did the same (162/229).

So despite the speculation, the Lib Dems didn't take the "most rebllious" crown.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

No there wasn't.

3 types of vote today:

IN COMMITTEE:

He's not the only one.

What's the purpose of the "Clauses 1 and 2 in Committee" vote - is it not just the inverse of of the amendments?
  • Options

The last thing the feeble fifty want to do is leave Westminster. They've barely drawn a sober breath since they arrived as their chimpanzee's tea party manners reveal.
  • Options

I mean the "stand part" vote. What else does it achieve?
    I think the clauses of the Bill that received second reading need to formally be confirmed by the Committee stage (stand part of the Bill).
  • Options
    edited February 2017

MikeL said:

No there wasn't.

3 types of vote today:

IN COMMITTEE:

He's not the only one.

What's the purpose of the "Clauses 1 and 2 in Committee" vote - is it not just the inverse of of the amendments?
    No.

The Committee goes through the WHOLE Bill.

So it votes on each clause of the Bill separately (as passed at 2nd Reading), as well as any amendments.
  • Options
    Italians out of love with the Euro - 47-41 say it's a negative.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-eurozone-italy-exit-analysis-idUKKBN15N0JK?il=0

Interesting to see that Brexit is being cited as an example of why Project Fear should be ignored.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

No there wasn't.

3 types of vote today:

IN COMMITTEE:

He's not the only one.

No.

The Committee goes through the whole Bill.

So it votes on each clause of the Bill separately (as passed at 2nd Reading), as well as any amendments.
    I understand there was just the one vote, on both clauses together?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Will they do anything about it?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    kle4 said:

AnneJGP said:

kle4 said:

Surely the good thing about being a Labour MP uncertain if you want to enter the Shadow Cabinet but knowing you are one of the few left who has not resigned from it or committed to not being in even if asked, is if things go badly something will come along in a few months which will give you a reason to resign as well, limiting the damage, and there are so many former shadow cabinet members most people probably won't remember you were in it, nor will you have spent that much time with Jeremy himself, since depending on your portfolio he probably ignored you anyway. And of course on the off chance things go well, you reap the reward for being a loyal trooper for that unlikely event.

If I may venture to say so without being rude, that post is an excellent and an amazing reflection of the state of the Labour party.

Well, perhaps I could have split it across more than 2 sentences, 90% of them in one sentence.

But in short:

Therefore one can accept a position, knowing a reason for resignation will come along if needed to save face
    So many have served in the shadow cabinet you can probably avoid criticism for doing so, since few will remember you amid the crowd
    Ah! :smiley:

Thank you.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: So Labour whips Vicky Foxcroft, Thangam Debbonaire and Jeff Smith all voted against the 3-line whip again. That's new politics right there.

How on Earth can three Labour Whips vote against their own three-line whip and not get fired?

Corbyn surely loses even more respect within the party, if he can't even get rid of his own whips for voting the wrong way?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

No there wasn't.

3 types of vote today:

IN COMMITTEE:

He's not the only one.

No.

Yes, they can take more than one Clause at the same time - if considered appropriate.

In this case, makes sense as neither clause had been amended - ie as all amendments had been defeated.
  • Options

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

No there wasn't.

3 types of vote today:

IN COMMITTEE:

He's not the only one.

No.

Yes, that's right - the chairman of the Committee can group related votes together. On this occasion. clause 2 is utterly meaningless without clause 1.

Yes, on this occasion the "stand part" is essentially equivalent to a "two and a halfth" reading. That's just because the Bill is so simple - it's not usually like that.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    edited February 2017

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

No there wasn't.

3 types of vote today:

IN COMMITTEE:

He's not the only one.

No.

Yes, that's right - the chairman of the Committee can group related votes together. On this occasion. clause 2 is utterly meaningless without clause 1.

Yes, on this occasion the "stand part" is essentially equivalent to a "two and a halfth" reading. That's just because the Bill is so simple - it's not usually like that.
    Further to that: If "stand part" had failed I assume that the government would have withdrawn the Bill as there would have been no point carrying on.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-eurozone-italy-exit-analysis-idUKKBN15N0JK?il=0

Interesting to see that Brexit is being cited as an example of why Project Fear should be ignored.

They were never in love with Frankfurt's currency.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

How on Earth can three Labour Whips vote against their own three-line whip and not get fired?

Corbyn surely loses even more respect within the party, if he can't even get rid of his own whips for voting the wrong way?
    Parliamentary party, maybe, but it's not as though he was well supported in that regard anyway. Though some are saying even the members are struggling a bit with him.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

I've noticed that Heseltine, not the most reactionary of Tories, can still work himself into a lather about Marxists and Reds. Habit of a lifetime I guess.
    He was pretty reactionary to his Mum's dog.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

chestnut said:

Will they do anything about it?
    Reading the article, the inference is that three of the four major parties are against it. The next election will probably trigger some sort of action.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

He was pretty reactionary to his Mum's dog.
    East German Shepherd?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    I see Le Pen is closing the gap on Fillon. I think she will win it against him (but lose to macron who will more easily rally the left). France is fed up and Marine is running a very personalised campaign, making it not about the FN but about her, and doesn't stand purely for antisemitism and racsism like her father in 2002. She's a very competent politician, and clearly has Russian backing too (although considering Fillon was pro-Russia I'm not sure why Putin didn't just work to get him elected)
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited February 2017
    kle4 said:

weejonnie said:

kle4 said:

AnneJGP said:

kle4 said:

But in short:

I think the 'eh' was because you started the second sentence with a conjunction ("And"): if you ever feel like doing that, change the full stop for a colon and omit the 'And'.
    I've been trying to avoid colons and semi-colons since I went a bit overboard with them awhile back - it looked like I was sprinkling a code through my text.
    No one likes to use them: probably because they don't get to use them now at school; university; at work or wherever. My current bete-noire, however, is 'however'. However 'however' is used it seems that the attending punctuation is incorrect; however, we should remember that it can be used after a semi colon at the start of a phrase. It should be noted, however, that it can be included mid-phrase if parsed by commas.
  • Options

494-122. Bill read the Third time, and passed.

...the Commons.

Still the Lords to go! And then possibly Ping Pong.
    Well, yes. But if the Lords play silly buggers in the face of the votes of both the people and the Commons, the threat of certain measures can bring them in line.
    1000 UKIP peers? ;)
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Derby equalise! Game on.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    kle4 said:

weejonnie said:

kle4 said:

AnneJGP said:

kle4 said:

But in short:

Friend of mine was taking a course of study that entailed writing lots of essays. He hadn't a clue about punctuation. He told me that his policy was to write the whole thing without punctuation and then scatter punctuation-marks through it like salt & pepper.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,941
    Ishmael_Z said:

slade said:

I have spent the last 2 days in Copeland. I stayed overnight in the Trout Inn in Cockermouth where apparently Bing Crosby was a regular visitor back in the day (for the fishing apparently). My general observation is that you would not know there is a bye-election taken place. I drove the whole of the constituency on the A595 and saw precisely 3 posters: one for the LDs on the road out of Keswick, one for Labour in Whitehaven, and one for the Conservatives in Bootle - probably the home of the candidate. So expect a poor turnout. The local churches have arranged a hustings on Saturday but apparently the Labour candidate has refused to attend- replaced by tub of lard?

I think the election poster has been consigned to the dustbin of history as a metric of anything.
    Except it was massively important in Richmond.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Nigelb said:

nunu said:
    That's been the case for centuries; why do you think slavery was not mentioned in the US Constitution ?

The USA is a nation founded on genocide and slavery. The significance of this in the manifestation of today's disparate attitudes amongst its population, is the very large elephant in the very large room.
    Jamil Smith ‏@JamilSmith 4h

The obscure rule used to stop @SenWarren last night was created to protect a lynching advocate in the Senate.

To protect a lynching advocate!???!?!? wtf!?
This discussion has been closed.