Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Well this won’t make John Bercow happy but grumpy if only he h

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Well this won’t make John Bercow happy but grumpy if only he had been bashful when it came to Trump

Now here's a story. Tory backbencher @JamesDuddridge has just fired off this letter. The #GetBercow move has started. pic.twitter.com/uC0LQf5Nv0

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    This dwarfs all previous political scandals.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,939
    Well, which one is he then?
  • Options
    A key route into the UK for children caught up in Europe's migrant crisis is to close after a total of 350 arrivals.

In a written ministerial statement, the Home Office said it would stop receiving children via the so-called Dubs amendment at the end of March.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38912428
  • Options
    Don't we all wish for a return to having a universally respected speaker like Betty. After the Berk and Martin, we need a good speaker.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    French election:

Latest poll from Elabe just published shows Macron 5-5.5 points ahead of Fillon

http://elabe.fr/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/08022017_bfmtv_lexpress_intentions-de-vote-presidentielles_vague_1.pdf
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,299
    Farron loses 340 to 33.

Why did he bother pushing it to a vote.
  • Options
    Well done Dopey, a tour de force of a header…! :lol:
  • Options
    Narrow Govt win.

MPs have voted down the Lib Dem amendment proposing a second referendum by 340 votes to 33 - a majority of 307.
  • Options
    BudG said:

French election:

http://elabe.fr/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/08022017_bfmtv_lexpress_intentions-de-vote-presidentielles_vague_1.pdf

Fillon only beats Le Pen 56-44 in a run-off.

That's not insurmountable.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    BudG said:

French election:

Perhaps more ominously, Le Pen 44, Fillon 56...
  • Options
    Bercow will remain. This may well backfire.

I hope to be proved wrong, but don't expect it.
  • Options

BudG said:

French election:

Good spot. Had not checked the hypothetical head to heads.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    I was glad to see that these poor sick children from Wales had a wonderful time in London. Imagine their disappointment when their carefully set dwarf trap failed to work.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/seriously-ill-children-vip-day-12329702

• Options
    MikeL said:

Farron loses 340 to 33.

Why did he bother pushing it to a vote.

So he can use Labour's failure to support it as ammunition in the future
  • Options
    MikeL said:

BudG said:

French election:

That's getting awfully close.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Scott_P said:
    That is genuinely funny. A classic political 'ouch'
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    BoJo not running for President...

https://twitter.com/wsj/status/829395715252170756
  • Options

BudG said:

French election:

And, if my O level French is working, that's with 34% who will not say taken out (22% won't say in a Macron v Le Pen duel, which he wins very comfortably).

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115
    edited February 2017
    BudG said:

French election:

Le Pen in first though on 26%. Fillon is on 17-18% (with or without Bayrou) another pollster today him on 20%. If the Macron allegations start to gain traction his share could start to dip too and while 79% of Le Pen voters and 72% of Fillon voters are sure of their choice, 50% of Macron voters could change their mind
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Pauly said:
    Well Clive, if you want to run against me on a pro Trident platform be my guest!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

BudG said:

French election:

About 5 million votes?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited February 2017
    FPT
    Pauly said:

https://twitter.com/isaby/status/829398865271017475
    Do the Labour party agree on anything?

Do we have the full list of free trade objectors from all parties?

• Options
    The other interesting thing about that French poll is that only about a quarter of Le Pen and Fillon supporters say they might change their minds, while 40% to 50% of the centre/left candidate supporters say they might change theirs. Might imply that people are looking to see who is best placed to take on a right wing contender in the second round before finally deciding which of the three to back.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

BudG said:

French election:

About 5 million votes?
    But it was about eight million a fortnight ago!

Edit: probably closer to 3m and 5m,
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

BudG said:

French election:

That might be scary enough for the establishment not to want to risk that run-off and ensure Fillon is indicted, even if the evidence and chance of conviction is not that great.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

BudG said:

French election:

Melenchon 2012 voters back Le Pen over Fillon by 57% to 43%. 29% of former Hollande voters also back Le Pen
  • Options
    chestnut said:

68 Labour, 50 SNP, 3 PC, 2 Independent(SNP), 2 SDLP and Caroline Lucas
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954
    This whole Trump state visit business and its aftermath seems to be a whole series of events where I intently dislike the focus of ire and his policies, that is to say Trump, but find myself erring on the side of those defending what happened, or at least not agreeing that the best response is to throw great big wobblies about it.

Therefore, while I didn't think May should have offered Trump a state visit quite as soon as she did (he's a US President, we'd have to at some point, probably), it's not really viable to take it away once it has been offered, since any of the reasons not to - he's a boorish racist, that sort of thing - applies to plenty of others who have been given a visit, and who usually lead even worse regimes.

And therefore while I don't want Trump to be invited to address parliament, Bercow getting up on his soapbox to talk about how he wouldn't permit it even if it was offered, which it hadn't, and deliberately didn't even give a heads up to the other people who consider such requests, struck me as diminishing the position of Speaker - if he merely wanted to reflect the will of the house, which is at best divided on whether Trump should be granted such an address, should one be offered, then he could and should have replied to the effect that he knew many members had concerns about such an event, which he shared, and that he would raise those concerns very seriously with the other two people involved in the decision.

And therefore while I think Bercow has undermined himself quite considerably through his behaviour, I don't know that leading a coup against him is the best move at this time, perhaps further enforcing the idea the instant a Speaker does something you don't like they should be ousted.

Now the third I am not settled on. Some would say Bercow has crossed the line before and enough is enough, and others even if he has, knifing him in this fashion would be disproportionate and more harmful than merely taking steps to ensure he is not re-elected as Speaker some day, even if that means waiting some while.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    Scott_P said:

chestnut said:

I thought the SNP where pro free trade and pro-EU... an odd one. Just a spiteful vote?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

This whole Trump state visit business and its aftermath seems to be a whole series of events where I intently dislike the focus of ire and his policies, that is to say Trump, but find myself erring on the side of those defending what happened, or at least not agreeing that the best response is to throw great big wobblies about it.

There is a non-zero chance he might be facing impeachment before the visit...
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    There are now compromising photos of Macron circulating in Paris apparently after his denials of a homosexual affair
  • Options
    Paul Waugh✔@paulwaugh

Clive Lewis is wearing a suit tonight. First time he's not worn usual tweed jacket, Lab MP tells me. Ready for leadership-style words later?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The bottom of the barrel is already being scraped in France I see... they didn't reach this stage in the US until just after the anti-establishment victory.

Le Pen could do it - I didn't think it was possible. The establishment have run out of tricks.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Scott_P said:

chestnut said:

Thanks.

Interesting to see so many "pro-EU" MPs voting against the direction it's taking.
  • Options

The other interesting thing about that French poll is that only about a quarter of Le Pen and Fillon supporters say they might change their minds, while 40% to 50% of the centre/left candidate supporters say they might change theirs. Might imply that people are looking to see who is best placed to take on a right wing contender in the second round before finally deciding which of the three to back.

Yes, very good point.

Looks good for Macron - surely anyone on the left who is wavering will go for Macron to prevent a Le Pen v Fillon final.

Should be enough to put Macron in the final.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,776
    nunu said:
    That's been the case for centuries; why do you think slavery was not mentioned in the US Constitution ?

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    There are now compromising photos of Macron circulating in Paris apparently after his denials of a homosexual affair
    For the first time ever I'm tempted to put tuppence ha penny on a Le Pen.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Photoshopski ?
  • Options
    @GuardianHeather: Moment of truth approaching for potential Labour rebels, including @labourlewis, who have struggled with the idea of voting to trigger A50.

Rumour he will bottle it
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Photoshopski ?

like :smile:
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Therefore, while I didn't think May should have offered Trump a state visit quite as soon as she did (he's a US President, we'd have to at some point, probably), it's not really viable to take it away once it has been offered, since any of the reasons not to - he's a boorish racist, that sort of thing - applies to plenty of others who have been given a visit, and who usually lead even worse regimes.

And therefore while I don't want Trump to be invited to address parliament, Bercow getting up on his soapbox to talk about how he wouldn't permit it even if it was offered, which it hadn't, and deliberately didn't even give a heads up to the other people who consider such requests, struck me as diminishing the position of Speaker - if he merely wanted to reflect the will of the house, which is at best divided on whether Trump should be granted such an address, should one be offered, then he could and should have replied to the effect that he knew many members had concerns about such an event, which he shared, and that he would raise those concerns very seriously with the other two people involved in the decision.

And therefore while I think Bercow has undermined himself quite considerably through his behaviour, I don't know that leading a coup against him is the best move at this time, perhaps further enforcing the idea the instant a Speaker does something you don't like they should be ousted.

Now the third I am not settled on. Some would say Bercow has crossed the line before and enough is enough, and others even if he has, knifing him in this fashion would be disproportionate and more harmful than merely taking steps to ensure he is not re-elected as Speaker some day, even if that means waiting some while.

I agree.
    The Duddridge letter is every bit as self indulgent as Bercow.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Photoshopski ?
    Rumours of course but even the Times reported them today
  • Options
    @JohnRentoul: Now the big vote, on @HarrietHarman's amendment to protect rights of EU citizens in the UK.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    kle4 said:

You omitted one quite important factor. Bercow becomes more turd-like by the day. We just have to hope that he doesn't start to grow.
  • Options
    Surely the good thing about being a Labour MP uncertain if you want to enter the Shadow Cabinet but knowing you are one of the few left who has not resigned from it or committed to not being in even if asked, is if things go badly something will come along in a few months which will give you a reason to resign as well, limiting the damage, and there are so many former shadow cabinet members most people probably won't remember you were in it, nor will you have spent that much time with Jeremy himself, since depending on your portfolio he probably ignored you anyway. And of course on the off chance things go well, you reap the reward for being a loyal trooper for that unlikely event.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Yes, for the first time I think there is a chance, a slim chance mind you but a chance she does it. Ideally she comes a strong first in round 1, it then requires Fillon to scrape past Macron by the narrowest of margins and she then wins enough of the leftwing vote to add to her nationalist protectionist vote to beat a tainted Fillon. In which case it would be the biggest shock in postwar western politics, far more so than Brexit or even Trump
  • Options

kle4 said:

You omitted one quite important factor. Bercow becomes more turd-like by the day. We just have to hope that he doesn't start to grow.
    Dwarfs don't grow silly, thats why there dwarfs.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Surely the good thing about being a Labour MP uncertain if you want to enter the Shadow Cabinet but knowing you are one of the few left who has not resigned from it or committed to not being in even if asked, is if things go badly something will come along in a few months which will give you a reason to resign as well, limiting the damage, and there are so many former shadow cabinet members most people probably won't remember you were in it, nor will you have spent that much time with Jeremy himself, since depending on your portfolio he probably ignored you anyway. And of course on the off chance things go well, you reap the reward for being a loyal trooper for that unlikely event.

If Debbie Abrahams resigns tonight, is she the first to go twice?
  • Options
  • Options

kle4 said:

A valid point - clearly there is a point where a Speaker has such disregard for the intention of their office that it would be more harmful to leave them in place - but I don't know that, despite in my view crossing a line he should not have, Bercow has yet reached such a point.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    edited February 2017
    Great piece on the British Alt Right on Ch 4. Batshit crazy. Seriously! Hitler's the man!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Roger said:

Great piece on the British Alt Right on Ch 4. Batshit crazy. Seriously!

I hope they are as mad and divided as the hard left, no reason that insane crowd on the left should get all the mockery when there's bozos on the right to mock. I like to have options on left and right when laughing at extreme partisans.

It'll be hard to top people like the CPGB-ML. Trostkyism is just a tool of the capitalists!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Watching Young alt right on C4 news...at least they will never breed.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

Scott_P said:

chestnut said:

I thought the SNP where pro free trade and pro-EU... an odd one. Just a spiteful vote?
    You can't be simultaneously pro-free-trade and pro-EU. The EU is ä protectionist cartel.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    I've been thinking the same this week.

Maybe she will do it after all. France's establishment can't really blame anyone but themselves if she does...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Photoshopski ?
    Rumours of course but even the Times reported them today

Cherchez l'homme
  • Options

Pauly said:

Scott_P said:

chestnut said:

You can't be simultaneously pro-free-trade and pro-EU. The EU is ä protectionist cartel.
    I quite agree. I'm not arguing with the consistency of their positions, just their failure to follow their self-acclaimed beliefs.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    I love that word compromising, it can mean anything, was caught looking particularly camp ? Was caught in delicte flagrahte, or did he ask for 99 cone but settle for 69.
  • Options
    So much height mockery! We shorties are the last acceptable target in society I tells you! I stand with Bercow! (albeit from the same limited vantage)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

nunu said:
    That's been the case for centuries; why do you think slavery was not mentioned in the US Constitution ?

The USA is a nation founded on genocide and slavery. The significance of this in the manifestation of today's disparate attitudes amongst its population, is the very large elephant in the very large room.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Maybe she will do it after all. France's establishment can't really blame anyone but themselves if she does...
    She has no chance whatsoever.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So much height mockery! We shorties are the last acceptable target in society I tells you! I stand with Bercow! (albeit from the same limited vantage)

The Dwarf Protection Act will be a short bill, don't worry.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    kle4 said:

Quite right. And if you are a woman he is certain to have forgotten you were in the shadow cabinet, because he ignores female MPs. Ergo Debbie Abrahams could resign tonight, be reinstated, stand as a staking horse, be sacked, fail as a stalking horse, be reinstated to the Corbyn shadow cabinet again, resign to run Lisa Nandy's campaign, be successful, then be appointed to Lisa's shadow cabinet. After all this has happened, Debbie could go around to Jezza's gaff in N1 for some quiet retirement drinks with the old boss, and he still wouldn't have the faintest idea who she was.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    I love that word compromising, it can mean anything, was caught looking particularly camp ? Was caught in delicte flagrahte, or did he ask for 99 cone but settle for 69.
    A saw a comic piece on the same theme once, talking of a news story describing a woman caught in a 'compromising position', stating that was a little judgy, how do we know that wasn't the exact position she wanted to be in.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger opines.

Fill yer boots... :wink:
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

I hope they are as mad and divided as the hard left, no reason that insane crowd on the left should get all the mockery when there's bozos on the right to mock. I like to have options on left and right when laughing at extreme partisans.

It'll be hard to top people like the CPGB-ML. Trostkyism is just a tool of the capitalists!
    "Like Hitlers the man" are you barking too?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Dwarfs don't grow silly, thats why there dwarfs.
    I'm properly chastised
  • Options
    Roger said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

The jury's in.. France's first female President.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

That seals it. Rogerdamus has spoken.
  • Options
    @CarolineLucas: Unforgivable - majority of MPs vote against guaranteeing EU citizens #RightToStay - these are people's lives not commodities @The3Million
  • Options
    Govt wins on EU nationals:

332-290

Not much difference from other votes.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Your guess is as good as mine!
  • Options
    Imagine if France elects a female Pres before either of the 'progressive' parties in the U.K. Have had a female leader. FRANCE!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Scott_P said:

@CarolineLucas: Unforgivable - majority of MPs vote against guaranteeing EU citizens #RightToStay - these are people's lives not commodities @The3Million

She should tell that to the EU.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Roger said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

"Like Hitlers the man" are you barking too?
    No, I'm not watching the piece you are speaking of so was expressing the hope the deluded extremists on the right are as mad as the ones on the left - are you barking or something? I think my meaning was pretty clear in thinking extremists weirdos are good to mock, whatever their ideological left rightness.

It sounds like they will be barrels of laughs and at the least just as insane as the hard left.
  • Options
    @PickardJE: All those who were furious about the Supreme Court must be cross that they don't have anyone to be angry about any more.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Scott_P said:

How shrill can she get short of screaming 'think of the childrennnnn'
  • Options
    Right on cue for Le Pen a new Chatham House poll has 55% of European voters wanting to end all immigration from majority Islamic nations
    http://www.westmonster.com/shock-poll-55-of-europeans-want-to-end-immigration-from-muslim-countries/
  • Options
    MikeL said:

332-290

The Government whips have been amazing throughout
  • Options
    @danbloom1: Confirmed, Clive Lewis voted 'aye' for both clauses in the 2-clause Bill to remain intact - strongly suggesting he ain't going to resign
  • Options
    Lindsay Hoyle really is great.

He has the full range of skills - tearing in to Salmond the other night and yet having fun telling Serjeant at arms to clear blockage in Division lobby.

And I don't think he would dream of doing what Bercow did with Trump.

Surely he has to get the job when Bercow goes.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    I can't see them shafting the poison dwarf just now.

But I would raise a glass or 2 if he does get toppled.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Imagine if France elects a female Pres before either of the 'progressive' parties in the U.K. Have had a female leader. FRANCE!

I think France electing a nationalist, protectionist, anti Euro President may be rather more dramatic than her gender though of course it would also be a story (albeit France has had a female PM, Edith Cresson)
  • Options
    MikeL said:

332-290

Tory whips doing a very good job of getting everyone in, with the exception of Ken Clarke.

A lot of pressure now on the Lords to pass the bill unamended, following both the wishes of the Commons and the People in the referendum.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    HYUFD said:

Right on cue for Le Pen a new Chatham House poll has 55% of European voters wanting to end all immigration from majority Islamic nations
    http://www.westmonster.com/shock-poll-55-of-europeans-want-to-end-immigration-from-muslim-countries/

Not exactly surprising I feel.
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: The 3-line whip really isn't working.
    Lab shad ministers Zeichner, West, Huq, Slaughter + Brown ordered to abstain - but voted for 2nd ref.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

332-290

Tory whips doing a very good job of getting everyone in, with the exception of Ken Clarke.

A lot of pressure now on the Lords to pass the bill unamended, following both the wishes of the Commons and the People in the referendum.
    Even if Lords do pass any amendments, Commons will obviously reverse them and then I imagine they'll stay all night continually bouncing back until the Lords cave.
  • Options
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Not exactly surprising I feel.
    No, not really, though Britain comes out relatively liberal with only 47% for a ban
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

332-290

I think it's an existential decision for the Lords and they must surely know it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,903
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

I think France electing a nationalist, protectionist, anti Euro President may be rather more dramatic than her gender though of course it would also be a story (albeit France has had a female PM, Edith Cresson)
    I remember Mme. Cresson expressing the opinion that most English men were homosexual.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

332-290

I think it's an existential decision for the Lords and they must surely know it.
    No point in existing if they don't do their job.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

332-290

They surely are entitled to a bit of parliamentary ping pong? That's not unusual practice, so they could amend, send back, commons rejects, sends back, then probably time for the Lords to pass.

As for Ken, bit hard to whip a guy who's been there 47 years and already saying he's not standing again. Not that it seems probable, but if they ever went nuclear and suspended him or something, he might just bother to stand as an Indy, even if only as a paper candidate.

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    Exactly Scott, not sure why you crossed that out.

All councils are free to apply. No special treatment.
This discussion has been closed.