Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : February 2nd 2017

124»

Comments

• Options

Miss Plato, surely border collies?

Might be because poodles were used by the French as hunting dogs.

My first hound was a cross-breed. Half-border collie, half-something else (probably poodle or labrador). She was very clever.

Poodles second only to Border Collies:

http://petrix.com/dogint/intelligence.html

Now who reminds you of an Afghan Hound?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Alistair said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Can anyone shed any light on this Bowling Green Massacre thing? Sounds awful.

It has the same basis in reality as "whisky export duty"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/03/kellyanne-conway-refugees-bowling-green-massacre-never-happened?CMP=share_btn_tw
    Can you explain what the fundamental difference is between a "six month pause in processing refugees from Iraq" and a "nine month suspension of entry rights to people born in Iraq"

One is slightly longer and slightly more broadly drawn, but I am struggling to see the difference in principle between the two.
    Because under the 'pause' Iraqi refugees still entered America trough the entirety of the period, just the processing of applications slowed down as more detailed vetting was applied retroactively to claimants.

Under the ban no one gets to enter, as it is a ban.
    I thought there were waivers?
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    John_M said:

I'm feeling a bit Bremorseful this morning. Even Malta is booting the boot in. And I thought we were friends.

Little countries might feel the need to curry some brownie points with their paymasters if we are not going to be there to put the other side.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

John_M said:

daodao said:

I see that Trump's poodle (May) is going to Malta for a brief visit - I suspect she will be an unwelcome guest.

Europe needs leaders who are committed to progressing an open,liberal and tolerant agenda. From a European perspective, it would be excellent if Macron and Schulz win their respective GEs in France and Germany later this year.

Good morning. Can I just thank you for adding May parenthetically. Without that, I would have never have guessed who you meant by 'Trump's poodle'. Possibly one of PB's finest moments of condescension - high praise, considering we have several black belts in the art here. Bravo.
    I suppose 'poodle' is progress from 'bitch in heat' when the sainted Angela was supposedly wisely 'biding her time' - when in fact we now know, Trump simply wasn't returning her calls with requests to go 'as soon as'.....

What is it with (some on) the Left & female leaders?

Forty years after the Tories, now on their second, Labour or the Lib Dems have yet to elect one.......
    A quick look at your post and you seem to be the one who has problems with female leaders. Or doesn't the 'sainted Angela' count as a female?
    I wasn't the one who thought 'bitch in heat' was an appropriate metaphor for a leader of any party - if I recall correctly, you rejoiced in repeating it.
    I didn't repeat it I originated it! Its generally considered a unisex expression which refers to an overeagerness. I wouldn't think it was sex specific any more than 'poodle' which you also referenced in your 'misogyny' post.
    That you can't see the inappropriateness of applying that metaphor to a female leader speaks volumes - and helps explain why neither of the parties you've supported have ever had female leaders.....of course, we now know Angela was just as eager as Theresa....and yet curiously you don't apply the metaphor to her.....
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Miss Plato, surely border collies?

Might be because poodles were used by the French as hunting dogs.

My first hound was a cross-breed. Half-border collie, half-something else (probably poodle or labrador). She was very clever.

My German Shepherd completed a supposed 25 mins dog puzzle in just over 5 at first attempt. Collies are clever too - but apparently poodles are the top for learning, rather than repeating.

After decades of greyhounds who are stupid in a childlike way - they'd believe in the tooth-fairy as adults - it came as quite a shock.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Notice the last sentence.

instead it was related to a 2015 law signed by President Obama

Surely some mistake.

TSA do have a bit of a reputation as minimum wage rent-a-cops.
  • Options
    On the EEA thing, I wonder if they government could just amend the A50 bill and say it also authorises the PM to leave the EEA. I suppose the chance for defeat would be higher though.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290

Hurrah for Madame Le Pen.

An excuse to move elsewhere

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/827437334975172608

How is that likely to go down with the French ? Sounds a bit bonkers to us, but putting a Rosbif tax on us would appeal to a lot of people across the Channel I dare say
    More insane than Hollande's fiscal policy.
  • Options
    Miss Vance, surely Corbyn is What-a-Mess?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    RobD said:

On the EEA thing, I wonder if they government could just amend the A50 bill and say it also authorises the PM to leave the EEA. I suppose the chance for defeat would be higher though.

We're now in the hands of lawyers and politicians. I intend to let the next couple of years wash over me, while I figure out what to do with the rest of my life. Retirement might have been a tad premature :).
  • Options
    John_M said:

I'm feeling a bit Bremorseful this morning. Even Malta is booting the boot in. And I thought we were friends.

Producers in other EU Member States also rely on UK rms in their supply chains and vice versa. The integration of supply chains, which also benefits the UK, means that the UK often contributes a signi cant share of the foreign content in the EU countries’ exports. Chart 8.5 shows the UK share of foreign content in EU exports, which varies from two per cent for Bulgaria to over 17 per cent for Malta.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

How is that likely to go down with the French ? Sounds a bit bonkers to us, but putting a Rosbif tax on us would appeal to a lot of people across the Channel I dare say
    I assume its also a tiny bit unlawful given the requirement to treat all members of the EU in your country the same way.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

I assume its also a tiny bit unlawful given the requirement to treat all members of the EU in your country the same way.
    When has the prospect of violating EU laws ever stopped the French? :p
  • Options
    If accurate, that'd be 'winning'

"Japan, which has a consistent trade surplus with the U.S., is putting the finishing touches on a package that it claims will create 700,000 jobs in the U.S. and help create a $450-billion market, Reuters reported, citing government sources familiar with the plans.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/03/japan-reportedly-setting-up-package-for-trump-to-create-700000-us-jobs.html
  • Options

John_M said:

Producers in other EU Member States also rely on UK rms in their supply chains and vice versa. The integration of supply chains, which also benefits the UK, means that the UK often contributes a signi cant share of the foreign content in the EU countries’ exports. Chart 8.5 shows the UK share of foreign content in EU exports, which varies from two per cent for Bulgaria to over 17 per cent for Malta.
    Please Carlotta, don't be insensitive. Malta is dead to me now.
  • Options
    John_M said:

RobD said:

We're now in the hands of lawyers and politicians. I intend to let the next couple of years wash over me, while I figure out what to do with the rest of my life. Retirement might have been a tad premature :).
    I recommend living on a tropical island with no TV, no newspapers etc and forgetting the lot of them. The only way I keep up with any of this for the last six months is on here and reading online newspapers, a habit it might be advantageous to give up if this gets any more idiotic ;)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897
    John_M said:

Here's one for Roger. I'm sure he'll love it. It shows England at its very best ;).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va6nPu-1auE

It's Brilliant!! No one in the world can do self effacing humour like the British. It's one of the reason's why British advertising got it's reputation and it's that reputation that has kept the industry at the very top (probably until Brexit)
  • Options
    A good fisking of Trumpery.

'People who protest against Donald Trump are not the problem. They are right

But, being gimlet-eyed, you can identify the real issue here. Trump might be vulgar. He might be a brute or an oaf or even a dangerously unstable individual whose combination of arrogance, ignorance, and self-regard, threatens the future governance of the United States and, by extension, the world. He could very easily be all of these things (though it is important – very important! – to remember the importance of keeping an open mind). But so what? Because you have to remember one other thing. One thing that trumps (ha!) everything else. He is hated by all the right people. Which means – and here we get to the heart of the matter – he must be doing something right. It’s not terribly important to point to the things Trump is doing right, you just need to know, or rather sense, they must be there. Somewhere. Besides, the people who hate him are infantile!

These contributions to the story of our times tend to come from one of three quarters (see what I did there?). First, there is the contrarian so predictable he’s no longer a contrarian at all. Then there is the old, hard, nasty right who, I suppose, at least have the honesty of their poisonous convictions. And finally, in the third category, there are members of the self-styled heretic left who, though they protest their liberalism, haven’t written anything genuinely liberal – or even liberalish – in years. Because when all is said and done and when push comes to shove no hippy can be left un-kicked. And push must always come to shove.'

http://tinyurl.com/htqf6bf
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Roger,

"Its generally considered a unisex expression."

You really think 'bitch in heat' is a unisex expression?

Possibly only with advertising executives then.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Roger said:

John_M said:

Here's one for Roger. I'm sure he'll love it. It shows England at its very best ;).

It's Brilliant!! No one in the world can do self effacing humour like the British. It's one of the reason's why British advertising got it's reputation and it's that reputation that has kept the industry at the very top (probably until Brexit)
    Why would Brexit kill British self-effacing humour?
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Roger said:

John_M said:

Because Brexit will kill everything. We will be in a desolate wasteland living off turnips
  • Options
    Roger said:

John_M said:

Goddamit Roger, don't make me like you. Say something mean about British OAPs :).
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Roger said:

John_M said:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=va6nPu-1auE

Because Brexit will kill everything. We will be in a desolate wasteland living off turnips
    You've just made malcolm's day :D
  • Options

Roger said:

John_M said:

It wont but it could well damage the British advertising industry.

PS I saw Hacksaw Ridge. He tells a good tale but as you say at least half an hour too long. It felt like it had at least 3 writers on it. The comedy one was much the best. The naked scene was seriously funny!
  • Options
    Gunshots in the Louvre, as guard shoots suspected attacker:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38853841
  • Options
    Mikey 'Scotland will vote for Brexit' Gove here. At least he got Ruthy's name right.

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/827443604696215552
  • Options
    John_M said:

To be honest I think the EU are very scared at the combination of Brexit and Trump and are in a very unhappy place.

The reality is that a deal will be done most certainly because of Trump and the EU's need for the UK's presence in Europe.

Malta demeans itself by referring to the UK as a junior partner - silly language

French soldier just shot man with suitcase at the Louvre

France now on high alert
  • Options
    Still reeling that the MSM suppressed reporting of the horrific Bowling Green massacre. No wonder Trump imposed that travel ban.
  • Options

Mikey 'Scotland will vote for Brexit' Gove here. At least he got Ruthy's name right.

That'd be a Scottish Tory Surge Klaxon loud enough to hear around the world!
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited February 2017

John_M said:

Malta demeans itself by referring to the UK as a junior partner - silly language
    On the face of it, he is correct. But it is not the EU's problem and so they should not be opining on it. And coming from Malta of all places, it's risible.

And I have a soft spot for Malta. I lived there 1959-1963.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

Is that before or after independence?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited February 2017

Still reeling that the MSM suppressed reporting of the horrific Bowling Green massacre. No wonder Trump imposed that travel ban.

Fake News.

Sad.
  • Options

Is that before or after independence?
    :)

Ruth is very 'flexible', so who knows?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Fake News.

Sad.
    Is there a difference between "fake news" and "lies"?

I can't immediately see one but I suppose that there's a subtlety that I'm missing.
  • Options

Roger said:

John_M said:

PS It is remarkable how widespread the idea of British humour goes. I was at a meeting in Spain for the launch of the New Seat and there must have been at least 20 at the meeting and in the script there was a tiny moment of humour and one of the Seat Marketing team said to me that he didn't want it overplayed. The agency producer turned to the meeting and said "He's British" and they all chuckled.

I don't do humour but you can't imagine how helpful it is to have that sort of reputation go before you.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Only fools or the dementedly partisan could deny that the Lib Dems are having something of a renaissance in local by-elections.

OGH performs a valuable service by providing a place where so many fools and demented partisans can find each other.

All well and good for the yellows but the Liberals have always done well at pavement politics and building from council level up. Until they start winning parliamentary by elections in Leave areas as well as council by elections and start to make some real progress in the polls all those gains will make little difference to their aim of a soft Brexit or a second referendum. Unless they at least come second in Copeland and/or Stoke their renaissance still has a while to come to full fruition yet

Huge rises in vote in Rotherham and Sunderland are not normal.

I guess only the determined vote in local by-elections, so what we are probably discovering is that there is a very motivated Remain vote even in strong Leave areas. UKIP may be discovering that the Leave vote even in Leave areas really was a one-time referendum thing.

• Options
    matt said:

Fake News.

Sad.

I can't immediately see one but I suppose that there's a subtlety that I'm missing.
    I quite liked the Reuters briefing on how to deal with the Trump cabal (sorry Plato, but it is ). He's quite right that there's no value in being first and wrong.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Only fools or the dementedly partisan could deny that the Lib Dems are having something of a renaissance in local by-elections.

OGH performs a valuable service by providing a place where so many fools and demented partisans can find each other.

All well and good for the yellows but the Liberals have always done well at pavement politics and building from council level up. Until they start winning parliamentary by elections in Leave areas as well as council by elections and start to make some real progress in the polls all those gains will make little difference to their aim of a soft Brexit or a second referendum. Unless they at least come second in Copeland and/or Stoke their renaissance still has a while to come to full fruition yet

I guess only the determined vote in local by-elections, so what we are probably discovering is that there is a very motivated Remain vote even in strong Leave areas. UKIP may be discovering that the Leave vote even in Leave areas really was a one-time referendum thing.

I think that is a very good point and logical as leave is happening but there is fierce opposition from remainers which will continue for years. The leavers and remainers have swopped places.
  • Options

Fake News.

Sad.

Lies, lies, lies. It's extraordinary. The contempt the Trump administration has for the American people is vast.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Observer,

"UKIP may be discovering that the Leave vote even in Leave areas really was a one-time referendum thing."

I think you're basically correct.

I think some Remainers remain very charged up about the Referendum result. A little like sliugs when you put salt on them - though I'm not suggesting they are slugs, or bitches in heat, or whatever.

The Leavers can see Brexit proceeding on track. Their work is done - for now.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Roger said:

Roger said:

John_M said:

PS It is remarkable how widespread the idea of British humour goes. I was at a meeting in Spain for the launch of the New Seat and there must have been at least 20 at the meeting and in the script there was a tiny moment of humour and one of the Seat Marketing team said to me that he didn't want it overplayed. The agency producer turned to the meeting and said "He's British" and they all chuckled.

I don't do humour but you can't imagine how helpful it is to have that sort of reputation go before you.
    Don't worry Roger. Voting for Brexit shows the British sense of humour is in fine fettle....
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited February 2017
    Roger said:

Roger said:

John_M said:

Tbere is really no situation in which humour is inappropriate in Britain. Kate Fox's excellent book "Watching the English" covers it well. Quite often patients will crack jokes (usually gallows humour) when I break bad news to them. Humour is a very useful social lubricant for an awkward conversation.

Foeigners do like to seperate humour from serious conversations.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    Another straw in the wind:

Labour lose overall control of Tower Hamlets as Labour Councillor defects to LibDems over Corbyn and Brexit.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/tower-hamlets-labour-councillor-defects-to-lib-dems-over-brexit-a3456276.html
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Observer,

"UKIP may be discovering that the Leave vote even in Leave areas really was a one-time referendum thing."

I think you're basically correct.

I think some Remainers remain very charged up about the Referendum result. A little like sliugs when you put salt on them - though I'm not suggesting they are slugs, or bitches in heat, or whatever.

The Leavers can see Brexit proceeding on track. Their work is done - for now.

Which is why the byelections will be local votes on local issues.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Another straw in the wind:

Labour lose overall control of Tower Hamlets as Labour Councillor defects to LibDems over Corbyn and Brexit.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/tower-hamlets-labour-councillor-defects-to-lib-dems-over-brexit-a3456276.html

Labour won 22 seats at the 2014 election, so swings and roundabouts!
  • Options
    John_M said:

matt said:

Fake News.

Sad.

I quite liked the Reuters briefing on how to deal with the Trump cabal (sorry Plato, but it is ). He's quite right that there's no value in being first and wrong.
    Trump is turning into a very divisive force and we cannot even start to imagine how this will evolve.

Notice overnight he has threatened to sack Janet Yellan and the EU have decided to recommended a ban on his ambassador.

• Options
    Dr. Foxinsox, when having a mini-colonoscopy I had to stop myself making jokes (the doctor told me I was doing well, which was meant to be reassuring but all I could think was that I'd been complimented on how well I take it up the arse. Likewise, he said the camera flex was 10' long, and I had to stop myself making a 7' at most joke).

On a related note, when I had some suppositories I told my mother to leave them in the fridge, because I hadn't gone mental and they were meant to be stored there. She asked why, and I said I liked to take them chilled.
  • Options

Mr. Patrick, yes..

Really? Genuninely curious. Why? We live in a digital world. Is there a comfort of the familiar in filling forms? The need to interface with government online is scary? What's the general view on here? I'd have thought logging in, filling in what you need (and only if you need because most people won't need to) and pushing the tit is alot less hassle.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I think that is a very good point and logical as leave is happening but there is fierce opposition from remainers which will continue for years. The leavers and remainers have swopped places.
    I think that the centrists and left have been waiting for a cause to unite around for years. Trumpism may well give that unity. The State visit is going to be great fun, even the apolitical MrsFox wants to march. Trump will be kept out of sight, but the coverage of the demo's will dominate the news.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The difficulty for the Lib Dems is that they don't have a core tribal block of electors.
    They have to start anew each election for their vote. It is only possible for Lib Dems to win in target areas where they can put in special effort or there are special circumstances in their favour.

UKIP have managed to get around 15% of people voting for them in areas where they have put in no effort. Where the Lib Dems put in no effort they only get three or four percent.

Without a widespread decent level of core vote, Lib Dems can only make inroads here and there where they concentrate their effort.

How do the Lib Dems increase their core tribal vote onto a higher level?
  • Options
    Latest on Paris attack - knife man with suitcase injured a soldier and five soldiers responded. No explosives in bag but reports he shouted 'Allahu Akbar'
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

John_M said:

Tbere is really no situation in which humour is inappropriate in Britain. Kate Fox's excellent book "Watching the English" covers it well. Quite often patients will crack jokes (usually gallows humour) when I break bad news to them. Humour is a very useful social lubricant for an awkward conversation.

Foeigners do like to seperate humour from serious conversations.
    This is one of the things I love about this country. Jenny cracked wise about her disease until the last, which was simultaneously funny and heartbreaking. I expect plenty of Brexit-related gallows humour once the economic pain starts in earnest.
  • Options
    Mr. Patrick, a few things. Familiarity, security (neither is totally secure, of course) and being generally old-fashioned. I also don't like the mandatory nature. It's like when some oafs wanted to get rid of cheques. I hardly ever use them, but I don't bank online and don't want to.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited February 2017
    matt said:

Fake News.

Sad.

I've drawn my own distinction is that fake news is something that you want to be true.

Cf twitter and elsewhere frotting themselves over the Quebec shooting when they thought it was Muslim on Muslim, then silence when it wasn't.
  • Options

They could say what they stand for.
  • Options

John_M said:

matt said:

Fake News.

Sad.

Notice overnight he has threatened to sack Janet Yellan and the EU have decided to recommended a ban on his ambassador.

The Federal Reserve Act only permits the President to remove a Governor “for cause” and historically this authority has never been abused by the President. For example, even Nixon did not try to remove Chairman Martin in the 1968-1970 period, even though he believed Martin’s monetary policy may have cost him the 1960 Presidential election."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-09/will-trump-fire-janet-yellen-here-wall-streets-response
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

John_M said:

Yep - when I lived in Spain "humor ingles" (not britannico, btw) was a well-used phrase for a certain type of wry, self-effacing sense of humour. The other big thing over there among the better off was a kind of English gentleman lifestyle thing - shirt and tie, detached, calm - as a way of distinguishing yourself from the more Latin-style lower orders. That was a hangover from the dictatorship - Franco liked to style himself as an English gentleman - and you don't see it as much as you used to, except among the oldest demographic. The southern European cringe has largely disappeared - probably an EU thing, funnily enough.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Patrick said:

Mr. Patrick, yes..

Really? Genuninely curious. Why? We live in a digital world. Is there a comfort of the familiar in filling forms? The need to interface with government online is scary? What's the general view on here? I'd have thought logging in, filling in what you need (and only if you need because most people won't need to) and pushing the tit is alot less hassle.
    Because IT systems, particularly government IT systems feck up frequently, and its comforting to have a registered mail delivery receipt to prove that they got your tax return, and a photocopy of the said document in your files, and where appropriate with your accountant.

Its the same argument as electronic voting, if the result is different to what you expect, it's difficult to prove whether its because you made the wrong inputs, or because their system is shite, the smart money would be on the later, but they will claim the former and you would have to go to court with nothing tangible in the way of evidence if you wanted to challenge it.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, that wasn't fake news. Two arrests had been made and it was a credible theory.

You could certainly argue of bias in reporting, though.

Mr. NorthWales, wonder if it'll be a one-off. Copy cats and waves of attacks have, alas, been common in France.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

John_M said:

matt said:

Fake News.

Sad.

Trump is turning into a very divisive force and we cannot even start to imagine how this will evolve.

To be fair, I suspect if the UK proposed an Ambassador to Washington who supported the break-up of the US, they wouldn't be particularly welcome.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Being either (or both) of Liberal or Democratic would be a good start.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Mr. Patrick, yes..

Because IT systems, particularly government IT systems feck up frequently, and its comforting to have a registered mail delivery receipt to prove that they got your tax return, and a photocopy of the said document in your files, and where appropriate with your accountant.

Its the same argument as electronic voting, if the result is different to what you expect, it's difficult to prove whether its because you made the wrong inputs, or because their system is shite, the smart money would be on the later, but they will claim the former and you would have to go to court with nothing tangible in the way of evidence if you wanted to challenge it.
    Is not a print-out of a confirmation worth every bit as much if not more as a registered mail delivery receipt which doesn't confirm all the contents of what was in the envelope?
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, that wasn't fake news. Two arrests had been made and it was a credible theory.

You could certainly argue of bias in reporting, though.

Mr. NorthWales, wonder if it'll be a one-off. Copy cats and waves of attacks have, alas, been common in France.

It took an intervention from the Prime Minister of Canada for Fox News to remove their inaccuracies

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/31/media/fox-news-justin-trudeau/
  • Options
    PB Islamowatch gone to Defcon 1.
  • Options

John_M said:

matt said:

Fake News.

Sad.

I must disagree here. He's a symptom of the problem - if Ted Cruz were POTUS - it'd be just the same SJWs and black hooded thugs claiming whatever and rioting. Or dressing up as vaginas and calling every to the right of Jane Fonda a Nazi.

The Left in the USA has lost it's marbles - it was clear as day from HRC demanding to know why she was wasn't 50pts ahead/Deplorables to the bird-dogging et al.

The Left aren't happy because they've comprehensively lost the argument via identity politics/illegal immigration/war on cops/terror.

• Options

matt said:

Fake News.

Sad.

I've drawn my own distinction is that fake news is something that you want to be true.

Cf twitter and elsewhere frotting themselves over the Quebec shooting when they thought it was Muslim on Muslim, then silence when it wasn't.
    Yes and on here, someone reporting that the longer it took for information to be released then the more likely it was to be Muslims responsible.
    Someone else reporting that police radios indicated Muslims were responsible.
    Let's be prepared to wait a little for the FACTS.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I think that the centrists and left have been waiting for a cause to unite around for years. Trumpism may well give that unity. The State visit is going to be great fun, even the apolitical MrsFox wants to march. Trump will be kept out of sight, but the coverage of the demo's will dominate the news.
    Surely the Iraq war was the last thing they united around - biggest demo ever.

Nothing changed.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Patrick said:

Mr. Patrick, yes..

A compromise/alternative would be to allow people to fill it out on a website, but rather than sending it you print out the form that has a 2D barcode generated automatically. You stick that in the mail, HMRC just scan the barcode at the top, and Bob's your uncle.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, if Fox News were knowingly reporting something inaccurate then I'd agree that would qualify.

Mr. Divvie, that's an odd way to say there's been an incident of terrorism. Of course people are going to comment on it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Surely the Iraq war was the last thing they united around - biggest demo ever.

Nothing changed.
    If Blair had listened to the mass demonstration (including Corbynistas and LibDems) the history of the last 2 decades would have been very different, and much improved.
  • Options

PB Islamowatch gone to Defcon 1.

As usual, more comments about the obsession...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    On other Trump news: as I'm sure everyone has seen, there have been multiple court cases which have overruled the "No One from the Following Countries" Executive Order as relates to those people who have valid US visas. Now, I don't know if this is true, but Slate is carrying the story that Trump administration has unilaterally cancelled those visas.

I have a great deal of sympathy with the US wishing to impose extra checks on certain travellers (albeit, I suspect this will do little or nothing to protect the US from terrorism). But I worry quite a lot about the respect for the rule of law. There is separation of powers for a reason. The Houses of Congress are supposed to make laws. The President is supposed to run the country from day-to-day inside the rules set out by Congress. And the Courts are there to ensure the rule of law is followed.

While the US legal system is tortuous, respect for the rule of law is the most important protection citizens have. It protects them against both their fellow humans and their own government*. The long term success of the US is attributable to the institutions that have been established. Tearing them down to be replaced by one man's dictat does not bode well for the future.

* Throughout history, you are, of course, far more likely to be killed by your own government, than by other governments, or by your fellow man.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797

John_M said:

matt said:

Fake News.

Sad.

The Federal Reserve Act only permits the President to remove a Governor “for cause” and historically this authority has never been abused by the President. For example, even Nixon did not try to remove Chairman Martin in the 1968-1970 period, even though he believed Martin’s monetary policy may have cost him the 1960 Presidential election."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-09/will-trump-fire-janet-yellen-here-wall-streets-response
    I doubt that Trump will be dissuaded by democratic norms, if he decides it's something he wants to do.
    He's a revolutionary, whose only revolutionary principle appears to be his own self-aggrandisement.
  • Options

matt said:

Fake News.

Sad.

Yes and on here, someone reporting that the longer it took for information to be released then the more likely it was to be Muslims responsible.
    I remember Sir Winston Churchill's maxim about lies, truth and truth's pants, it isn't a new problem.

I have no problem with people commenting on breaking news, take SeanT, every tweet on the shooting he posted he flagged up was either unverified or from Alt.Righters, and when it wasn't Muslim on Muslim he posted that too.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

matt said:

Fake News.

Sad.

I must disagree here. He's a symptom of the problem - if Ted Cruz were POTUS - it'd be just the same SJWs and black hooded thugs claiming whatever and rioting. Or dressing up as vaginas and calling every to the right of Jane Fonda a Nazi.

The Left in the USA has lost it's marbles - it was clear as day from HRC demanding to know why she was wasn't 50pts ahead/Deplorables to the bird-dogging et al.

The Left aren't happy because they've comprehensively lost the argument via identity politics/illegal immigration/war on cops/terror.

Ridiculous. The Right has won. Trump is responsible for his own actions, blaming the Left is trying to have your cake and eat it.
    Now where have I heard that before?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    rcs1000 said:

On other Trump news: as I'm sure everyone has seen, there have been multiple court cases which have overruled the "No One from the Following Countries" Executive Order as relates to those people who have valid US visas. Now, I don't know if this is true, but Slate is carrying the story that Trump administration has unilaterally cancelled those visas.

I have a great deal of sympathy with the US wishing to impose extra checks on certain travellers (albeit, I suspect this will do little or nothing to protect the US from terrorism). But I worry quite a lot about the respect for the rule of law. There is separation of powers for a reason. The Houses of Congress are supposed to make laws. The President is supposed to run the country from day-to-day inside the rules set out by Congress. And the Courts are there to ensure the rule of law is followed.

While the US legal system is tortuous, respect for the rule of law is the most important protection citizens have. It protects them against both their fellow humans and their own government*. The long term success of the US is attributable to the institutions that have been established. Tearing them down to be replaced by one man's dictat does not bode well for the future.

* Throughout history, you are, of course, far more likely to be killed by your own government, than by other governments, or by your fellow man.

In the US, the gov't appoints the (top) court ;)
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

matt said:

Fake News.

Sad.

I agree but the difference now is that the left have been motivated both in the US and Worldwide and the noise is not going away - the left are the experts at protests and will disrupt the peace of nations for months and year's to come
  • Options

Mr. Patrick, a few things. Familiarity, security (neither is totally secure, of course) and being generally old-fashioned. I also don't like the mandatory nature. It's like when some oafs wanted to get rid of cheques. I hardly ever use them, but I don't bank online and don't want to.

Fair dinkum. But I think the world will move on by as fewer and fewer people resist computers, mobiles, smart meters etc. And then at some point providers will stop offering manual alternatives.
    (For info I do have to do a Self Assessment tax return. Have done this online for 2 or 3 years now. Getting the online account and secure verification etc was a process (fair enough I suppose). But once you have a Personal Tax Account at HMRC the actual process of logging in, filling out, pressing tit is dead easy. You see your draft tax assessment and confirm it before pressing. Maybe I'm not an old fogey, but I prefer this to paper forms and then wondering what will come back from HMRC. I prefer the instant confirmation and ability to edit before submitting).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

"

William Roper: So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!

Sir Thomas More: Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?

William Roper: Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!

Sir Thomas More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!

"

Never seen it put better.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited February 2017

Roger said:

Roger said:

John_M said:

Yep - when I lived in Spain "humor ingles" (not britannico, btw) was a well-used phrase for a certain type of wry, self-effacing sense of humour. The other big thing over there among the better off was a kind of English gentleman lifestyle thing - shirt and tie, detached, calm - as a way of distinguishing yourself from the more Latin-style lower orders. That was a hangover from the dictatorship - Franco liked to style himself as an English gentleman - and you don't see it as much as you used to, except among the oldest demographic. The southern European cringe has largely disappeared - probably an EU thing, funnily enough.

There was a very funny book called (IIRC) 'Mind Your Manners' which described a typical European meeting:

The Brits - purpose of meeting is to kick ideas around & come up with better plan. Meant to do pre-reading on plane, but had breakfast instead, doing it now. As tensions rise take off their jackets and roll up their sleeves (to indicate seriousness with which they take it and eagerness to work hard) to others this looks like sloppiness (they didn't even do the pre-reading!) and as tension rises their use of humour (they think to lighten the atmosphere) merely reinforces this.

The Germans - they have done all the pre-reading, considered the various alternatives and concluded what the best plan is. The purpose of the meeting is to impose that plan on the woolly thinkers.

The French - their boss told them last night what the outcome has to be, so they'll sit in the meeting doing their email while the Brits and Germans slog it out. Leave before the end of the meeting, urgent appointment (lunch).

The Italians Who knew you could get great Japanese food in Athens? Pity the Hotel is called the Grande Bretagne - will that change now? Where are we having lunch?
  • Options

Too little party political ideology and people don't engage because they don't know what you stand for. (Currently the Lib Dems?)

Too much party political ideology and people are put off (The Labour party?)

Just the right combination of ideology and pragmatism is what's needed or at least the presentation of that position (The Conservative party?).
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Latest on Paris attack - knife man with suitcase injured a soldier and five soldiers responded. No explosives in bag but reports he shouted 'Allahu Akbar'

Maybe intending to destroy Western Culture in the gallery. I know Louvre security is tight but a determined person with intent could certianly destroy a few paintings.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

matt said:

Fake News.

Sad.

That's an interesting distinction albeit that the boundary is a grey one. Politicians have always dissimulated and perhaps not told the whole story but outright lies are something else.

The active willingness to believe, and not just believe but vehemently support and defend, is I think new though.
  • Options

matt said:

Fake News.

Sad.

I remember Sir Winston Churchill's maxim about lies, truth and truth's pants, it isn't a new problem.

I have no problem with people commenting on breaking news, take SeanT, every tweet on the shooting he posted he flagged up was either unverified or from Alt.Righters, and when it wasn't Muslim on Muslim he posted that too.
    To be fair, for that a lot people were saying 'if it proves to be', which is always the case in breaking news. I was guity of that too, but think that's a reasonable position to take if it's acknowledged to be wrong later.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Patrick said:

Fair dinkum. But I think the world will move on by as fewer and fewer people resist computers, mobiles, smart meters etc. And then at some point providers will stop offering manual alternatives.
    (For info I do have to do a Self Assessment tax return. Have done this online for 2 or 3 years now. Getting the online account and secure verification etc was a process (fair enough I suppose). But once you have a Personal Tax Account at HMRC the actual process of logging in, filling out, pressing tit is dead easy. You see your draft tax assessment and confirm it before pressing. Maybe I'm not an old fogey, but I prefer this to paper forms and then wondering what will come back from HMRC. I prefer the instant confirmation and ability to edit before submitting).
    What I don't like about online stuff is that some data has to be entered once a year or so - gives you a lot of time to forget user names and passwords.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited February 2017
    matt said:

matt said:

Fake News.

Sad.

That's an interesting distinction albeit that the boundary is a grey one. Politicians have always dissimulated and perhaps not told the whole story but outright lies are something else.

The active willingness to believe, and not just believe but vehemently support and defend, is I think new though.
    Nero blamed the great fire of Rome of 64 A.D. on the Christians with no evidence whatsoever. This really isn't anything new.

Edit to add: see also Elders of Zion, Protocols of, for more on outright lies enthusiastically endorsed by believers. Study history, or repeat it.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

matt said:

Fake News.

Sad.

I agree but the difference now is that the left have been motivated both in the US and Worldwide and the noise is not going away - the left are the experts at protests and will disrupt the peace of nations for months and year's to come
    I agree that the losing Left are appalling cry-bullies - that the Right has a history of not retaliating in kind has encouraged their intimidatory tactics. Last night yet another campus talk ended up with 4 arrests for assault at NYU. The protesters inside the small event acted like toddlers - shouting down the guest.

This isn't debate. The Right don't want to be sucked in - but being called a Nazi every 5 mins/roughed up/First Amendment rights violated - they've had enough.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014
    edited February 2017
    Interesting that at the High Court case this morning, the plaintiffs are basing their arguments upon exactly the position I have long argued on here - that our EEA membership is independent of our membership of the EU and leaving one does not automatically mean leaving the other.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    John_M said:

Excellent
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    Blue_rog said:

Roger said:

John_M said:

Nothing wrong with turnips if combined with haggis and tatties, world would be a better place if that was on all menus.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    weejonnie said:

Patrick said:

What I don't like about online stuff is that some data has to be entered once a year or so - gives you a lot of time to forget user names and passwords.
    HMRC has been known to scrap the front page of the website and insert a new one with your user ID forgotten, causing huge aggravation. Even without that hassle, online VAT takes longer than paper VAT did. I've been using a PC for 35 years, but large organisations, e.g. HMRC regard the internet as an excuse to transfer their costs onto individuals. They've had cuts imposed on them and taxpayers are seen as fair game I suppose although none of this will ever be admitted.
This discussion has been closed.