Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : February 2nd 2017

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Things about to kick off between USA and USE?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/02/european-union-trump-ambassador-ted-malloch-parliament

Donald Trump Vs Jean Claude Juncker

Pass the popcorn. :smiley:
  • Options

If Tissue Price had been the candidate, the Tories would have polled 75% plus

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/827296566528659456

That's a cracking result given the change in 3rd party. I'm astonished Corbyn isn't going down better in a Midlands market town. Astonished.
    Yeah but he's doing wonders in the marginals.
    Burton was a Labour marginal when I moved here (in 2007). The MP now has over 50% of the vote and a five figure majority.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    chestnut said:

If Tissue Price had been the candidate, the Tories would have polled 75% plus

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/827296566528659456

UKIP picking up the lefty Greeny vote...hmmm...can't beat local elections.
    The 'who controls the bins?' vote is highly indicative of GE voting patterns, at least that's what I regularly read on here.
    Lots of preparation for government underway :smiley:
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/02/european-union-trump-ambassador-ted-malloch-parliament

Has anyone got any popcorn left??
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    RobD said:

twitter.com/hpy/status/827294392062976001

Did the government say this was all they had done? I thought they still wanted to maintain the no running commentary line.
    The timestamp on the document showed it was finished at 4:30 AM on the morning of publication and contained several factual errors. If they have a more detailed analysis to draw from they're doing a good job of hiding it. Everything points to it being Fred Karno's Brexit.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    That would be the JP Morgan led by Remain and Hillary backing Jamie Dimon I believe
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    The Trump polling is all over the place. There must be large differences in the methodology.
  • Options
    Hurrah for Micky Fallon.

Nato must begin to compete on the cyber-battlefield to counter Russian hacking aimed at undermining democracy in the US and western Europe, the British defence secretary, Sir Michael Fallon, has said.

In his most hard-hitting comments yet about Russia, he accused it of targeting the US, France, Germany, Holland, Bulgaria and Montenegro, which is due to become a full Nato member this year.

Fallon blamed Russia for helping create the age of fake information. “Today we see a country that, in weaponising misinformation, has created what we might now see as the post-truth age. Part of that is the use of cyber-weaponry to disrupt critical infrastructure and disable democratic machinery,” he said.

His anti-Russian rhetoric contrasts with that of the US president, Donald Trump, who, in a shift from his predecessor, Barack Obama, appears to be moving towards rapprochement with Moscow and has described Nato as obsolete.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/02/nato-must-do-more-to-counter-russias-cyber-weaponry-says-fallon
  • Options

RobD said:

Did the government say this was all they had done? I thought they still wanted to maintain the no running commentary line.
    The timestamp on the document showed it was finished at 4:30 AM on the morning of publication and contained several factual errors. If they have a more detailed analysis to draw from they're doing a good job of hiding it. Everything points to it being Fred Karno's Brexit.
    I really don't think that is telling. Who doesn't spend up until the deadline working on proposals?
  • Options

RobD said:

My favourite is when the other side left 'track changes' on the microsoft word files they sent to me.

It made my life so much easier.
  • Options
    The government has been preparing for a negotiation, not a White Paper. Quite right too.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

I really don't think that is telling. Who doesn't spend up until the deadline working on proposals?
    I would hate to see how close to the submission deadline the timestamps of the pdfs for some most of my academic papers in the past have been!
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Y0kel said:

Ukraine:

There are rumours that the two breakaway regions under Moscow's puppet strings are going to call on Moscow for protection, directly or indirectly. Moscow wouldn't refuse surely.

Curiously Nikki Haley, Trumps ambassador to the UN says there is no chance of the sanctions imposed on Russia after its takeover of the Crimea being lifted until the region goes back to the Ukraine. Either this is a clever ploy, whereby headline sanctions stay but other restrictions get lifted in the background (this is occurring already) or Haley is flying her own kite.

Blackmail material notwithstanding, you have to wonder how long these {$COUNTRY} FIRST, STAND UP TO FOREIGNERS politicians can carry on getting along, what with all their countries being foreign to each other.

Specifically, everybody always starts out promising to remake friends with Russia.
    If Trump were to use his leverage with Putin to get the Russians out of Eastern Ukraine I'd forgive him most of his sins.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    haven't had time to go back any threads to see if it was commented on. What were pb's collective thoughts on Corbyn suggesting people "choose" to be gay earlier on today?
  • Options
    MrsB said:

haven't had time to go back any threads to see if it was commented on. What were pb's collective thoughts on Corbyn suggesting people "choose" to be gay earlier on today?

The reaction of the woman in the background was priceless....supportive frantic nodding turns to frozen face in a split second.
  • Options
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Has anyone got any popcorn left??
    This could seriously damage the EU.

Trump gets more bizarre by the day but to pick a direct fight with him shows how out of touch they are

Sure the Baltics states will be delighted as will Putin
  • Options
    MrsB said:

Clumsy, he's never struck me as a family values Christian.
  • Options

MrsB said:

Yup. Though God knows had TM (or another senior Tory) said the same we'd never have heard the end of it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    MrsB said:

Clumsy phrasing, but I can't get particularly worked up about it.
  • Options

MrsB said:

Yup. Though God knows had TM (or another senior Tory) said the same we'd never have heard the end of it.
    I still think Tim Farron is a disaster waiting to happen when it comes to that subject.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/19/tim-farron-gay-rights-accused-illiberal-approach-lib-dems
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited February 2017

MrsB said:

I still think Tim Farron is a disaster waiting to happen when it comes to that subject.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/19/tim-farron-gay-rights-accused-illiberal-approach-lib-dems
    There could well have to be some serious use of trademarked Polly nose-pegs from some Guardianistas.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

Clumsy phrasing, but I can't get particularly worked up about it.
    Yeah, given he was st an LGBT event I don't think those are actually his views!
  • Options
    Labour win Dinnington per @election_data's source
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @britainelects: Liberal Democrat GAIN Brinsworth & Catcliffe
    (Rotherham) from Labour.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited February 2017
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Lib Dem gain Brinsworth and Catcliffe
  • Options
    Lib Dem GAIN B & C (!)
  • Options
    TSE- you never stood a chance :D
  • Options
    @britainelects: Labour GAIN Dinnington (Rotherham) from UKIP.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Labour gain Dinnington from UKIP
  • Options

Lib Dem gain Dinnington from UKIP

Has UKIP ever successfully defended a by election?!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    So that's two Lib Dem gain from Labour in Leaverstan tonight.

Edit: Bugger, that's two Lib Dem gains in Leaverstan, one from Lab, one from UKIP
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940

I understand Nick Clegg has been helping.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    HYUFD said:

That would be the JP Morgan led by Remain and Hillary backing Jamie Dimon I believe
    Somehow I think they have more expertise on the economics of Brexit than you
  • Options
    If the Lib Dems can break through in Rotherham, Labour could be looking in the wrong place for their big threat.
  • Options
    MrsB said:

The ultra hard Left can be quite homophobic, witness the 'dyke' accusations levelled at Angela Eagle and attacks on Ruth Davidson or even Peter Mandelson, they see homosexuality as a 'bourgeois' vice. However I don't think Corbyn is homophobic, it was just a slip of the tongue
  • Options
    slade said:

I understand Nick Clegg has been helping.
    He has, the seat is right next to Sheffield, as is Dinnington.

I know the Lib Dems in Sheffield were quite optimistic about both seats.
  • Options

If the Lib Dems can break through in Rotherham, Labour could be looking in the wrong place for their big threat.

If (big if) the Lib Dems end up representing a load of Northern Leave-type seats, via pavement politics and a general plague-on-all -their-houses pitch, it will ultimately end in tears, just like it did in the South West.
  • Options
    @britainelects: Brinsworth & Catcliffe (Rotherham) result:
    LDEM: 66.0% (+50.4)
    LAB: 17.1% (-26.2)
    UKIP: 12.8% (-16.4)
    CON: 3.0% (-8.8)
    GRN: 1.0% (+1.0)
  • Options
    Brinsworth

LDem 2,000
    Lab 519
    UKIP 389
    Con 91
    Green 30
  • Options

Brinsworth

LDem 2,000
    Lab 519
    UKIP 389
    Con 91
    Green 30

Bloody hell. Well done them.
  • Options
  • Options

Brinsworth

LDem 2,000
    Lab 519
    UKIP 389
    Con 91
    Green 30

Adam Carter, the Lib Dem victor, is a local doctor and a rugby referee.
  • Options
    Here's a thought.

Could Labour remain switchers to the Lib Dem and not Lab Leave switchers cost Labour the seats of Stoke and Copeland.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I'll say it again, only the very churlish and/or the very partisan would say that the Lib Dems aren't doing well in by elections since the referendum
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    edited February 2017
    Well done to lib dems. Labour and UKIP in big trouble. Wonder if this result will have implications for Stoke and Copeland. Mind you I voted lib dems many times in locals as they were good on the council but never voted for them in a GE
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@britainelects: Brinsworth & Catcliffe (Rotherham) result:
    LDEM: 66.0% (+50.4)
    LAB: 17.1% (-26.2)
    UKIP: 12.8% (-16.4)
    CON: 3.0% (-8.8)
    GRN: 1.0% (+1.0)

Preparation for government intensifies....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Plenty of economists backed Leave, they opposed Brexit before the referendum and oppose it now, quelle surprise
  • Options

I'll say it again, only the very churlish and/or the very partisan would say that the Lib Dems are doing well in by elections since the referendum

Not say? Or are you admitting to churlishness?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited February 2017

I'll say it again, only the very churlish and/or the very partisan would say that the Lib Dems are doing well in by elections since the referendum

I think you better say it again!!
  • Options

Not say? Or are you admitting to churlishness?
    Typo fixed now
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Well done to lib dems. Labour and UKIP in big trouble. Wonder if this result will have implications for Stoke and Copeland. Mind you I voted lib dems many times in locals as they were good on the council but never voted for them in a GE
    Phoned in Copeland again tonight and again not one LD, did get a Green though. LDs have always been good at council by elections and are doing well in parliamentary Remain areas, Sleaford showed that has not yet really translated to parliamentary Leave areas, beyond a minor recovery from there very low base
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Dirty sleazy kippers on the slide. In Rotherham, a place now with an unsavoury reputation for inter ethnic relations.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Phoned in Copeland again tonight and again not on LD, did get a Green though. LDs have always been good at council by elections and are doing well in parliamentary Remain areas, Sleaford showed that has not yet really translated to parliamentary Leave areas, beyond a minor recovery from there very low base
    What is your impression for Copeland
  • Options
    A return to the good old days of Tory vs Liberal? :D
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Phoned in Copeland again tonight and again not on LD, did get a Green though. LDs have always been good at council by elections and are doing well in parliamentary Remain areas, Sleaford showed that has not yet really translated to parliamentary Leave areas, beyond a minor recovery from there very low base
    Will be close, certainly little enthusiasm for Corbyn will be a battle between Labour on the NHS and the Tories on Brexit and nuclear power
  • Options
    RobD said:

David Herdson and myself keep on meaning to do a thread on that.

The Labour Party: A hundred year aberration, now its time to get back to Tories v Liberals.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Will be close, certainly little enthusiasm for Corbyn will be a battle between Labour on the NHS and the Tories on Brexit and nuclear power
    Thanks for that
  • Options

RobD said:

The Labour Party: A hundred year aberration, now its time to get back to Tories v Liberals.
    End of an error
  • Options

RobD said:

End of an error
    That's an awesome pun.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Thanks for that
    That is OK. Goodnight
  • Options

RobD said:

End of an error
    You do wonder just how many Kippers join the conservatives from now on
  • Options
    Actually on Sunday, I will be giving PBers a history lesson in one thread, whilst another thread begins with me updating the lyrics of a seminal 90s song.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    HYUFD said:

Phoned in Copeland again tonight and again not one LD, did get a Green though. LDs have always been good at council by elections and are doing well in parliamentary Remain areas, Sleaford showed that has not yet really translated to parliamentary Leave areas, beyond a minor recovery from there very low base
    Are you phoning everybody, HYUFD, or just erstwhile Tories?
  • Options
    Can you imagine the first liberal majority.. there will be yellow/orange "winning here" diamonds everywhere! :o
  • Options
    Interesting factoid about Brinsworth and Catcliffe - it contains the site of the Orgreave Coke works ( now redeveloped).
  • Options

RobD said:

End of an error
    You do wonder just how many Kippers join the conservatives from now on
    I think about half the kipper vote has gone Tory, and a smaller fraction of the Tory gone LD.

Why vote kipper when you have a Tory government planning hard Brexit?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Plenty of economists backed Leave, they opposed Brexit before the referendum and oppose it now, quelle surprise
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, because the economics are terrible. And as the analysis shows, the Govt still has its head in the sand when it comes to the details
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Dinnington

Lab 670
    UKIP 303
    Con 238
    Ind Smith 232
    Ind Hart 180
    Ind Scott 81
    Green 78
    Lib Dem 75

• Options
    Ha, #prayfordiane is trending on Twitter
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Harriet Harman won't be asked back on the this week sofa in a hurry
  • Options

Actually on Sunday, I will be giving PBers a history lesson in one thread, whilst another thread begins with me updating the lyrics of a seminal 90s song.

For the love of all that is holy I hope it's MMMBop. :D
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Dinnington

Lab 670
    UKIP 303
    Con 238
    Ind Smith 232
    Ind Hart 180
    Ind Scott 81
    Green 78
    Lib Dem 75

Rather less sign of a LibDem surge there!
  • Options
    PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

Are you phoning everybody, HYUFD, or just erstwhile Tories?
    Everybody at the moment, presumably just confirmed/lean Tories though in the final week to get out the vote
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, because the economics are terrible. And as the analysis shows, the Govt still has its head in the sand when it comes to the details
    The details presumably being to have as little change from the current position as possible, which is a political non starter
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Dinnington

Lab 670
    UKIP 303
    Con 238
    Ind Smith 232
    Ind Hart 180
    Ind Scott 81
    Green 78
    Lib Dem 75

Rather less sign of a LibDem surge there!
    Rotherham not quite going yellow yet then, night
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nope. It is an indie song not a pop song.
  • Options
    Two poor results for UKIP which hardly auger well for Stoke on Trent!
  • Options
    edited February 2017

RobD said:

Hmmm... now what 90s indie song has a word in the lyrics that rhymes with "AV"? ;)
  • Options
    isam said:

The body language between her and Portillo is quite something.

Liz Kendall was SPAD to HH, but seems to have a more forgiving nature.
  • Options
    The LibDem victor was a local doctor - very likely a personal vote for him more than anything else.
  • Options

isam said:

Was Portillo mansplaining, or something equally as heinous?
  • Options
    isam said:

Why not (not watching)?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

The LibDem victor was a local doctor - very likely a personal vote for him more than anything else.

True in Stoke also.

Doctors make excellent MP's. Worth noting that Gill Troughton in Copeland is one too.
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

Was Portillo mansplaining, or something equally as heinous?
    Np, just refighting eighties battles over Thatcher.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    slade said:

Interesting factoid about Brinsworth and Catcliffe - it contains the site of the Orgreave Coke works ( now redeveloped).

So Corbyn has even lost the flying picket vote? What's left?
  • Options

justin124 said:

True in Stoke also.

Doctors make excellent MP's. Worth noting that Gill Troughton in Copeland is one too.
    Nuttall is a doctor as well ;-)
  • Options

RobD said:

That Hymnn to Trump, Wonderwall?
  • Options

justin124 said:

True in Stoke also.

His Excellency Professor Lord Nuttall BSC SSC.
  • Options

slade said:

So Corbyn has even lost the flying picket vote? What's left?
    Surely the point of flying pickets is that they are not local?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

isam said:

Why not (not watching)?
    She was asked to name a stateswoman... Portillo suggested Thatcher and listed some of the things she achieved internationally

Harman flinched and said while thatcher was swanning around the world,people were dying in her constituency because of her NHS cuts, then implicated Portillo was responsible too!

Reminded me of this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Alf19unbtVs
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Swing of nearly 40% from Lab to LD in Rotherham.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

True in Stoke also.

His Excellency Professor Lord Nuttall BSC SSC.
    He won the World Cup when he Captained England. Don't knock him!
  • Options

justin124 said:

True in Stoke also.

So is Liam Fox
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

True in Stoke also.

So is Liam Fox
    A slur on us Dr Foxes! Though of course the delightful Dr Wollaston does make up for him.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited February 2017
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

True in Stoke also.

So is Liam Fox
    And Oliver Letwin.....just not the type that you hope is on board when you have a heart attack on a plane.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

True in Stoke also.

So is Liam Fox
    And Oliver Letwin.....just not the type that you hope is on board when you have a heart attack on a plane.
    The reason I go as "Mr" when I'm on a plane!
  • Options
    Another Trump story that's gone unnoticed:

https://twitter.com/lionelbarber/status/827293483991982080
  • Options
    From UK Vote Forum:
    ‘There is also the potential impact of Labour fielding an Asian candidate in Brinsworth & Catcliffe: a 90% White ward which elected a BNP councillor in 2008 and a UKIPper as one of their three last year.’
This discussion has been closed.