Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : February 2nd 2017

Comments

• Options

Another Trump story that's gone unnoticed:

https://twitter.com/lionelbarber/status/827293483991982080

care to explain the implications for the financially illiterate (me)?
  • Options

Boy, there is trouble coming down the tracks in America. A crisis the like of which we haven't seen for decades.
  • Options

RobD said:

justin124 said:

The LibDem victor was a local doctor - very likely a personal vote for him more than anything else.

True in Stoke also.

Doctors make excellent MP's. Worth noting that Gill Troughton in Copeland is one too.
    Nuttall is a doctor as well ;-)
    His Excellency Professor Lord Nuttall BSC SSC.
    He won the World Cup when he Captained England. Don't knock him!
    Was that before or after he undertook the world's first heart surgery operation?
  • Options

RobD said:

isam said:

Harriet Harman won't be asked back on the this week sofa in a hurry

The body language between her and Portillo is quite something.

Liz Kendall was SPAD to HH, but seems to have a more forgiving nature.
    Was Portillo mansplaining, or something equally as heinous?
    Np, just refighting eighties battles over Thatcher.
    To offer the alternative view, based on her performance on the sofa I have placed £2 on Harperson to be next leader at 210/1. She was articulate and feisty and still up for the fight. And frankly was Shakespeare compared to Abbott or Corbyn or Lewis.

Its a long long shot, but who knows in this mad mad world.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

justin124 said:

The LibDem victor was a local doctor - very likely a personal vote for him more than anything else.

True in Stoke also.

Doctors make excellent MP's. Worth noting that Gill Troughton in Copeland is one too.
    Nuttall is a doctor as well ;-)
    labour had an excellent potential candidate in Dr Stephen Hitchin for Stoke Central, unfortunately he pulled out after being shortlisted.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

RobD said:

RobD said:

twitter.com/hpy/status/827294392062976001

Did the government say this was all they had done? I thought they still wanted to maintain the no running commentary line.
    The timestamp on the document showed it was finished at 4:30 AM on the morning of publication and contained several factual errors. If they have a more detailed analysis to draw from they're doing a good job of hiding it. Everything points to it being Fred Karno's Brexit.
    I really don't think that is telling. Who doesn't spend up until the deadline working on proposals?
    I would hate to see how close to the submission deadline the timestamps of the pdfs for some most of my academic papers in the past have been!
    Today is deadline day (midnight us time) for a bunch of my work (grants applications cycle). I have my bits done (as of about 48 hours ago, but my colleagues are all going down to the wire. Just as well Dubai is +9 hours ... It will be a long night.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Was project fear right all along? Lettuce rationing....

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38851097
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Jobabob said:
    There's a Town ward in Gosport too and doubtless many others similarly boring across the country.

It's simple job really. Pick names for 10 wards and then take the rest of the day off.
    Yes, agreed, show some bloody imagination!
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Boy, there is trouble coming down the tracks in America. A crisis the like of which we haven't seen for decades.
    I'd be interested in hearing the public's view on the Basel accords. If sure it would be illuminating.

FWIW, Basel IV will have an impact on consumers because of increased debt collateral requirements. I doubt they'd know or care though. Of course, for real estate developers whose business model is leverage this is important.....
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    edited February 2017
    Classic line from Michael Portillo to Derek Hatton on This Week: "Derek, you're enthusiastic about what's happened to the Labour Party, and so are we."
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    RobD said:

Was project fear right all along? Lettuce rationing....

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38851097

In the middle of winter - should bring the government down! :)
  • Options
    I see their overnight success has led to the return of the Chuck Norris Lib Dems in the betting markets on Stoke.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Jobabob said:
    There's a Town ward in Gosport too and doubtless many others similarly boring across the country.

It's simple job really. Pick names for 10 wards and then take the rest of the day off.
    Has Bobajob sobered up yet?

Hope he had a pint of water before going to bed last night.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Jobabob said:

How could we tell?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

RobD said:

isam said:

Harriet Harman won't be asked back on the this week sofa in a hurry

The body language between her and Portillo is quite something.

Liz Kendall was SPAD to HH, but seems to have a more forgiving nature.
    Was Portillo mansplaining, or something equally as heinous?
    Np, just refighting eighties battles over Thatcher.
    To offer the alternative view, based on her performance on the sofa I have placed £2 on Harperson to be next leader at 210/1. She was articulate and feisty and still up for the fight. And frankly was Shakespeare compared to Abbott or Corbyn or Lewis.

Its a long long shot, but who knows in this mad mad world.
    Not inconcievable. If Corbyn is deposed then it cannot be a nonentity like Owen Smith, a grandee is more likely. A female one would be likely, and HH has been an effective acting leader.

A long shot....
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    I see that Trump's poodle (May) is going to Malta for a brief visit - I suspect she will be an unwelcome guest.

Europe needs leaders who are committed to progressing an open,liberal and tolerant agenda. From a European perspective, it would be excellent if Macron and Schulz win their respective GEs in France and Germany later this year.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Dinnington

Lab 670
    UKIP 303
    Con 238
    Ind Smith 232
    Ind Hart 180
    Ind Scott 81
    Green 78
    Lib Dem 75

Rather less sign of a LibDem surge there!
    Dinnington was supposedly "Too close to call between Labour, UKIP and Liberal Democrats" - I think we better put that one down to "local factors", Harry! Too many well-liked independents for the LibDems to thrive.... (And we'll draw a veil over Brinsworth too.... a 38% swing away from Labour could hardly have been expected.)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    edited February 2017
    daodao said:

I see that Trump's poodle (May) is going to Malta for a brief visit - I suspect she will be an unwelcome guest.

Europe needs leaders who are committed to progressing an open,liberal and tolerant agenda. From a European perspective, it would be excellent if Macron and Schulz win their respective GEs in France and Germany later this year.

Except they've already asked to be briefed by her on her meeting with Trump.
  • Options
    Lib Dems get over 50% surge to win in Rotherham with 66%.

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 7h7 hours ago
    So, tonight's council by-election results:
    Lab gain from UKIP.
    LDem gain from Lab.
    Con HOLD.

Brinsworth & Catcliffe (Rotherham) result:
    LDEM: 66.0% (+50.4)
    LAB: 17.1% (-26.2)
    UKIP: 12.8% (-16.4)
    CON: 3.0% (-8.8)
    GRN: 1.0% (+1.0)

Dinnington:
    LAB 36.1% (+15.5)
    UKIP 16.3 (-3.1)
    CON 12.8 (+2.8)
    IND 12.5 (-3.7)
    IND 9.7 (-3.7)
    IND 4.4 (+4.4)
    GRN 4.2 (-3.5)
    LDEM 4.0 (+4.0)

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 8h8 hours ago
    Town (East Staffordshire) result:
    CON: 52.3% (-0.3)
    LAB: 29.9% (-3.0)
    UKIP: 17.8% (+17.8)
    No Grn candidate this time round.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    slade said:

Interesting factoid about Brinsworth and Catcliffe - it contains the site of the Orgreave Coke works ( now redeveloped).

Catcliffe is immortalised by Pulp in the Catcliffe Shakedown

"Straight down the Parkway follow your nose to a place where nobody wants to go ..."
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387

Hurrah for Micky Fallon.

Nato must begin to compete on the cyber-battlefield to counter Russian hacking aimed at undermining democracy in the US and western Europe, the British defence secretary, Sir Michael Fallon, has said.

In his most hard-hitting comments yet about Russia, he accused it of targeting the US, France, Germany, Holland, Bulgaria and Montenegro, which is due to become a full Nato member this year.

Fallon blamed Russia for helping create the age of fake information. “Today we see a country that, in weaponising misinformation, has created what we might now see as the post-truth age. Part of that is the use of cyber-weaponry to disrupt critical infrastructure and disable democratic machinery,” he said.

His anti-Russian rhetoric contrasts with that of the US president, Donald Trump, who, in a shift from his predecessor, Barack Obama, appears to be moving towards rapprochement with Moscow and has described Nato as obsolete.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/02/nato-must-do-more-to-counter-russias-cyber-weaponry-says-fallon

Without going all Donald Trump why the hell are we expanding NATO further into the Balkans? Do we want a war?
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    daodao said:

That's funny. Open and Liberal are words that you cannot put together. Liberals are not democrats in any way. 2nd referendum anybody? And they openly support religions that area sexist and racist, whilst despising the decent, local people.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    daodao said:

Good morning. Can I just thank you for adding May parenthetically. Without that, I would have never have guessed who you meant by 'Trump's poodle'. Possibly one of PB's finest moments of condescension - high praise, considering we have several black belts in the art here. Bravo.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    daodao said:

I take it the "a"s are silent in your name? Dodo - like the "European perspective"....
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Hurrah for Micky Fallon.

Nato must begin to compete on the cyber-battlefield to counter Russian hacking aimed at undermining democracy in the US and western Europe, the British defence secretary, Sir Michael Fallon, has said.

In his most hard-hitting comments yet about Russia, he accused it of targeting the US, France, Germany, Holland, Bulgaria and Montenegro, which is due to become a full Nato member this year.

Fallon blamed Russia for helping create the age of fake information. “Today we see a country that, in weaponising misinformation, has created what we might now see as the post-truth age. Part of that is the use of cyber-weaponry to disrupt critical infrastructure and disable democratic machinery,” he said.

His anti-Russian rhetoric contrasts with that of the US president, Donald Trump, who, in a shift from his predecessor, Barack Obama, appears to be moving towards rapprochement with Moscow and has described Nato as obsolete.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/02/nato-must-do-more-to-counter-russias-cyber-weaponry-says-fallon

Without going all Donald Trump why the hell are we expanding NATO further into the Balkans? Do we want a war?
    I'm not worried about the Balkans. My biggest concern is Kiev's consideration of a national referendum on joining NATO.

http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2017/02/02/508764/Ukraine-Poroshenko-NATO-membership-referendum

Combined with Poland's attempts to strengthen bilateral ties with Belarus (and by implication, detach Minsk from Moscow), this is a real flash point for the Russkies imo.
  • Options
    John_M said:

daodao said:

Good morning. Can I just thank you for adding May parenthetically. Without that, I would have never have guessed who you meant by 'Trump's poodle'. Possibly one of PB's finest moments of condescension - high praise, considering we have several black belts in the art here. Bravo.
    I'll take that as a prompt to bring my A game.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    John_M said:

DavidL said:

Hurrah for Micky Fallon.

I'm not worried about the Balkans. My biggest concern is Kiev's consideration of a national referendum on joining NATO.

http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2017/02/02/508764/Ukraine-Poroshenko-NATO-membership-referendum

Combined with Poland's attempts to strengthen bilateral ties with Belarus (and by implication, detach Minsk from Moscow), this is a real flash point for the Russkies imo.
    They can ask but we can say no and really must. The Article 5 obligations for NATO are an extremely serious commitment and should not be taken on just so some politician can grandstand. I agree about the Ukraine and Belarus but the Balkans has been a trouble spot that drags others in for, well, just over 100 years now! (Arguably longer if you think about Crimea and the various Turkish wars)
  • Options
    Do we have any raw voting numbers from last nights by elections and from the previous time the seats were contested?
  • Options
    John_M said:

daodao said:

I suppose 'poodle' is progress from 'bitch in heat' when the sainted Angela was supposedly wisely 'biding her time' - when in fact we now know, Trump simply wasn't returning her calls with requests to go 'as soon as'.....

What is it with (some on) the Left & female leaders?

Forty years after the Tories, now on their second, Labour or the Lib Dems have yet to elect one.......
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Most interesting results from Rotherham, the demise of UKIp continues and the rise of the Lib Dems pushes on where they are working hard, as in Stoke Central. Turnout 32% at Brinsworth and 19% at Dinnington. That shows what they achieved by concentrated effort. Understand Dinnington they did virtually nothing. It will be fascinating to see if the BBC and others make any comment, because a turnout of 32% may be similair to what we might expect at Stoke.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897
    edited February 2017
    I couldn't handle anymore of hearing about the nutter in the White House -narcissists are tedious enough even when they're not on the news 24 hours a day-but this morning when looking for something else I cae accross this. I know it's the Express but isn't that film footage a worrying indication of the shape of things to come? I think he's running out of things to amuse him

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/762195/donald-trump-ballistic-missile-iran-deal?utm_source=externaloutbrain&utm_medium=recommendations&utm_term=paid&utm_content=news&utm_campaign=2016&utm_term=00a225d5569ccc3844c44a9017eafa4fbe
  • Options
    Fresh from having congenial chats with Donald J Trump, Vladimir Putin was in Budapest yesterday (messing up the parking outside my flat). Here's a local report on the discussion he had with Viktor Orban:

http://www.xpatloop.com/news/orban-putin_meeting_in_budapest

It all sounds very chummy. Prime Minister Orban is quite expert at playing both ends against the middle, mind.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    theakes said:

Most interesting results from Rotherham, the demise of UKIp continues and the rise of the Lib Dems pushes on where they are working hard, as in Stoke Central. Turnout 32% at Brinsworth and 19% at Dinnington. That shows what they achieved by concentrated effort. Understand Dinnington they did virtually nothing. It will be fascinating to see if the BBC and others make any comment, because a turnout of 32% may be similair to what we might expect at Stoke.

Aren't by elections a little different from local council elections?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    https://twitter.com/election_data/status/827312698618687488
    It would be interesting if we knew turnout levels when the seats were last contested.
  • Options
    daodao said:

If you are having to explain your gags in brackets like that (May), you lose.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    edited February 2017
    tlg86 said:

Do we have any raw voting numbers from last nights by elections and from the previous time the seats were contested?

Rotherham LD exactly 2K votes.

http://rotherham.gov.uk/electionresults
  • Options
    daodao said:

daodao said:

Maltese attitudes.

http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/2015-01-31/human/Only-the-Greeks-beat-the-Maltese-in-immigration-disapproval-global-poll-6736129401

May's a bit wet for them, so maybe you're right.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Blue_rog said:

theakes said:

In the real world, yes. For the PB Chuck Norrises, who knows.

Hat tip CR - that is a tremendous naming effort!

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Lolz - great mistaken identity

@maitlis
    Erm. This is me. And I'm pretty sure I never ran a CIA black site for torture.. #Newsnight https://t.co/JjQMDHltCF
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

tlg86 said:

Rotherham LD exactly 2K votes.

http://rotherham.gov.uk/electionresults
    Thank you. That's a very good effort from the Lib Dems. It's hard to compare with last time as it's a multi member constituency but the taking the top Labour candidate and the rest comes to 3,595 votes:

http://tinyurl.com/guuq8mj

So turnout wasn't down a great deal in this seat.
  • Options
    ABC 24
    It’s not just Americans who get their immigration facts wrong. Tune in #PlanetAmerica 9pm Fridays EDT @ABCNEWS24 and 1035pm EDT @ABC1 https://t.co/r26smQmaIU
  • Options

John_M said:

daodao said:

I suppose 'poodle' is progress from 'bitch in heat' when the sainted Angela was supposedly wisely 'biding her time' - when in fact we now know, Trump simply wasn't returning her calls with requests to go 'as soon as'.....

Forty years after the Tories, now on their second, Labour or the Lib Dems have yet to elect one.......
    A quick look at your post and you seem to be the one who has problems with female leaders. Or doesn't the 'sainted Angela' count as a female?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797

John_M said:

daodao said:

Poodle is hardly a sexist term. Say the word in a political context, and the first image which come to mind is Blair.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    Dixie said:

daodao said:

That's funny. Open and Liberal are words that you cannot put together. Liberals are not democrats in any way. 2nd referendum anybody? And they openly support religions that area sexist and racist, whilst despising the decent, local people.
    Are you sure 20mg a day is enough medication?
  • Options
    Only fools or the dementedly partisan could deny that the Lib Dems are having something of a renaissance in local by-elections.

OGH performs a valuable service by providing a place where so many fools and demented partisans can find each other.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Only fools or the dementedly partisan could deny that the Lib Dems are having something of a renaissance in local by-elections.

OGH performs a valuable service by providing a place where so many fools and demented partisans can find each other.

Indeed. Apart from here I struggle to find a handful of people still whingeing about the result of the referendum.

Lib dems are definitely winning local votes - but I struggle to see how this is converted into a tangible number of Parly seats.
  • Options

Have you not worked out yet that this place is Shutter Island, you are a mental patient and we are your carers?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

GeoffM said:

Jobabob said:

How could we tell?
    He must have - he's not posting :)
  • Options
    Dixie said:

daodao said:

Perhaps the post with the most non sequiturs ever on PB. Sunil has at last found his match
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

twitter.com/lionelbarber/status/827293483991982080

Soooooo, current Republicans saw the housing boom under Bush Jr and want some of that again because there was absolutely no problems with that?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    daodao said:

Merkel would pursue an 'open, liberal and tolerant' agenda too from your perspective there is little real difference between her and Schulz it is the AfD and Die Linke who provide a real ideological alternative in Germany. On France Macron May win round 2 if he gets there which is no given but Le Pen will likely win round 1 as Wilders will likely top the poll in the Netherlands next month.
  • Options

"Worthwhile Canadian Initiative" is my preferred candidate for the most boring headline ever, but "Lib Dems having something of a renaissance in local by-elections" would definitely be a contender.
  • Options
    Can anyone shed any light on this Bowling Green Massacre thing? Sounds awful.
  • Options

*waves*
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

"Worthwhile Canadian Initiative" is my preferred candidate for the most boring headline ever, but "Lib Dems having something of a renaissance in local by-elections" would definitely be a contender.
    It is on topic.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

All well and good for the yellows but the Liberals have always done well at pavement politics and building from council level up. Until they start winning parliamentary by elections in Leave areas as well as council by elections and start to make some real progress in the polls all those gains will make little difference to their aim of a soft Brexit or a second referendum. Unless they at least come second in Copeland and/or Stoke their renaissance still has a while to come to full fruition yet
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058
    Alistair said:

twitter.com/lionelbarber/status/827293483991982080

Soooooo, current Republicans saw the housing boom under Bush Jr and want some of that again because there was absolutely no problems with that?
    ‘were’ absolutely or ‘problem’.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    GeoffM said:

Have you not worked out yet that this place is Shutter Island, you are a mental patient and we are your carers?
    these LD "surges" are not being recorded in VI polls. Its mainly anti Labour voting..IMHO and anti UKIP
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Thanks for this, Mr. Hayfield.

Mr. Meeks, you are a silly sausage.

BBC top story is Russian hacking. Sad that some daft sods still want to inflict electronic voting on us.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited February 2017

It has the same basis in reality as "whisky export duty"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/03/kellyanne-conway-refugees-bowling-green-massacre-never-happened?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

It is on topic.
    I was applauding your post, not complaining about it.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

There's a great site: Angry People In Local Newspapers which specialises in real photos of exactly that.

apiln.blogspot.com

It's well worth some of anyone's idle browsing time. He did a spinoff called Dull News In Local Newspapers
    dniln.blogspot.com
    which is why I replied to your comment but after taking a quick look that one has gone quiet recently.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    If you can win in Brinsworth and Richmond, then you can win anywhere to be perfectly honest.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

We're all dreaming that Corbyn and his clique of 450,000 will be cast into a bottomless pit and the 175 rebellious Labour MPs will join forces with the Scot Nats and the resergent Lib Dems and get David Milliband from across the water to come and lead a great revival of the centre left that will sweep May from office on a manifesto commitment of re-running the referendum with new voting restrictions on those over 75 with low IQs who live in East-Coast seaside towns (and Hartlepool).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If you can win in Brinsworth and Richmond, then you can win anywhere to be perfectly honest.

Only when they start doing so at parliamentary level too
  • Options
    I wonder if Jeremy will be talking about local election results today!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Trump's UN envoy has either gone rogue or there's a change of ideology in Russia in trumpland.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790
    GeoffM said:

Ah, but there's another twist in the plot...
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, offering double votes to those with IQs over 125 as well, presumably?

Said it before, but IQ is not intelligence.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    John_M said:

daodao said:

And how would someone like you possibly be able to tell?

;)
  • Options

John_M said:

daodao said:

I'm intrigued why poodles were singled out - they're widely believed to be the smartest breed - and a circus act favourite.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Pulpstar said:

If you can win at the Gates of Heaven and you can win in the Satanic Mills, you stand for nothing.

Good politics isn't about winning everywhere.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    MaxPB said:

Trump's UN envoy has either gone rogue or there's a change of ideology in Russia in trumpland.

Also surprised by that.
  • Options
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Blue_rog said:

theakes said:

In the real world, yes. For the PB Chuck Norrises, who knows.

Hat tip CR - that is a tremendous naming effort!

I'm stiill chuckling over @isam and his traffic warden nerd comment. Spot on.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, surely border collies?

Might be because poodles were used by the French as hunting dogs.

My first hound was a cross-breed. Half-border collie, half-something else (probably poodle or labrador). She was very clever.
  • Options
    felix said:

GeoffM said:

Jobabob said:

How could we tell?
    He must have - he's not posting :)
    Speaking of not posting - where's @Speedy ?
  • Options

Miss Plato, surely border collies?

Might be because poodles were used by the French as hunting dogs.

My first hound was a cross-breed. Half-border collie, half-something else (probably poodle or labrador). She was very clever.

I have two yorkshire terrier / miniature poodle crosses. Wonderful, intelligent, affectionate little blighters. I think the older one would make a fine Labour party leader. Just putting it out there if anyone's reading.
  • Options
    Viszlas!
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:
    Already happened.

At Casement's highly publicized trial for treason, the prosecution had trouble arguing its case. Casement's crimes had been carried out in Germany and the Treason Act 1351 seemed to apply only to activities carried out on English (or arguably British) soil.

A close reading of the Act allowed for a broader interpretation: the court decided that a comma should be read in the unpunctuated original Norman-French text, crucially altering the sense so that "in the realm or elsewhere" referred to where acts were done and not just to where the "King's enemies" may be.

Afterwards, Casement himself wrote that he was to be "hanged on a comma" leading to the well used epigram.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Casement
  • Options
    Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

We're all dreaming that Corbyn and his clique of 450,000 will be cast into a bottomless pit and the 175 rebellious Labour MPs will join forces with the Scot Nats and the resergent Lib Dems and get David Milliband from across the water to come and lead a great revival of the centre left that will sweep May from office on a manifesto commitment of re-running the referendum with new voting restrictions on those over 75 with low IQs who live in East-Coast seaside towns (and Hartlepool).
    We feel your pain.

Watch this, you'll feel better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbVlGESh9Mc
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Good morning, everyone.

BBC top story is Russian hacking. Sad that some daft sods still want to inflict electronic voting on us.

HMRC wants to inflict online tax collection on all of us, except possibly for MPs' tax affairs.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited February 2017
    Roger said:

John_M said:

daodao said:

A quick look at your post and you seem to be the one who has problems with female leaders. Or doesn't the 'sainted Angela' count as a female?
    I wasn't the one who thought 'bitch in heat' was an appropriate metaphor for a leader of any party - if I recall correctly, you rejoiced in repeating it.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

HMRC wants to inflict online tax collection on all of us, except possibly for MPs' tax affairs.
    You 'd prefer to fill paper forms?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,043
    Blue_rog said:
    While thinking the first legal challenge was on an important point but recognising that some additional ones may take the piss a bit (judge each on its merits), but am I right in thinking the placement of dots and commas can be of great significance? - It may be an urban legend but I heard there was a key US Supreme Court ruling on gun rights which hinged on comma placement in the second amendment, and therefore what the framers intended (notwithstanding as with all documents there are drafting errors).
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_P said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/03/kellyanne-conway-refugees-bowling-green-massacre-never-happened?CMP=share_btn_tw
    Can you explain what the fundamental difference is between a "six month pause in processing refugees from Iraq" and a "nine month suspension of entry rights to people born in Iraq"

One is slightly longer and slightly more broadly drawn, but I am struggling to see the difference in principle between the two.
  • Options
    Mr. Patrick, yes.

Mr. Voter, aye, that's bonkers too. As an option, it's fine, but mandatory is ridiculous.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Be fair to the LDs. They do get the paving slabs running on time.

Brexit is on course and they yearn for a brighter yesterday.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited February 2017
    PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

daodao said:

I'm intrigued why poodles were singled out - they're widely believed to be the smartest breed - and a circus act favourite.
    Possibly an obedience thing, and also that poodles had a reputation for being for show.

Being referred to as someones poodle has very different connotations to being their terrier. As a Border Terrier owner, I would never cite them as evidence of obedience. Indeed that spirited independent nature is part of their charm.
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/02/european-union-trump-ambassador-ted-malloch-parliament

LOL. They can hand out their Verhofstadts, but they can't take their Ted Mallochs.

"The European parliament’s main political parties are making an unprecedented attempt to block Donald Trump’s likely choice as ambassador to the European Union from EU buildings, describing him as hostile and malevolent.

In a startling move that threatens a major diplomatic row, the leaders of the conservative, socialist and liberal groups in Brussels have written to the European commission and the European council, whose members represent the 28 EU states, to reject the appointment of Ted Malloch.

Malloch, a businessman who stridently supported Brexit ahead of the vote in June, is said to have been interviewed for the post by Trump.

When recently asked by the BBC why he was interested in moving to Brussels, Malloch replied: “I had in a previous career a diplomatic post where I helped bring down the Soviet Union. So maybe there’s another union that needs a little taming.”"
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Can you explain what the fundamental difference is between a "six month pause in processing refugees from Iraq" and a "nine month suspension of entry rights to people born in Iraq"

One is slightly longer and slightly more broadly drawn, but I am struggling to see the difference in principle between the two.
    Because under the 'pause' Iraqi refugees still entered America trough the entirety of the period, just the processing of applications slowed down as more detailed vetting was applied retroactively to claimants.

Under the ban no one gets to enter, as it is a ban.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

More likely under such a scenario we rejoin the EEA, I can't see a second referendum being won on a platform of rejoining the EU
  • Options
    Here's one for Roger. I'm sure he'll love it. It shows England at its very best ;).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va6nPu-1auE
  • Options

Blue_rog said:
    Already happened.

At Casement's highly publicized trial for treason, the prosecution had trouble arguing its case. Casement's crimes had been carried out in Germany and the Treason Act 1351 seemed to apply only to activities carried out on English (or arguably British) soil.

A close reading of the Act allowed for a broader interpretation: the court decided that a comma should be read in the unpunctuated original Norman-French text, crucially altering the sense so that "in the realm or elsewhere" referred to where acts were done and not just to where the "King's enemies" may be.

Afterwards, Casement himself wrote that he was to be "hanged on a comma" leading to the well used epigram.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Casement
    And @kle4

Many thanks and only on PB! :lol:
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Alistair said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Because under the 'pause' Iraqi refugees still entered America trough the entirety of the period, just the processing of applications slowed down as more detailed vetting was applied retroactively to claimants.

Under the ban no one gets to enter, as it is a ban.
    So they entered before they were vetted?
  • Options
    Hurrah for Madame Le Pen.

An excuse to move elsewhere

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/827437334975172608
  • Options

Roger said:

John_M said:

daodao said:

I wasn't the one who thought 'bitch in heat' was an appropriate metaphor for a leader of any party - if I recall correctly, you rejoiced in repeating it.
    I didn't repeat it I originated it! Its generally considered a unisex expression which refers to an overeagerness. I wouldn't think it was sex specific any more than 'poodle' which you also referenced in your 'misogyny' post.
  • Options
    I'm feeling a bit Bremorseful this morning. Even Malta is booting the boot in. And I thought we were friends.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

Hurrah for Madame Le Pen.

An excuse to move elsewhere

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/827437334975172608

How is that likely to go down with the French ? Sounds a bit bonkers to us, but putting a Rosbif tax on us would appeal to a lot of people across the Channel I dare say
This discussion has been closed.