Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s corrosion is to Labour’s habits as much as to its pol

124»

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

Sean_F said:

I don't know anyone, outside of here who loves the EU. I know people who don't think it's a bad idea, or that, on balance, we're probably better off in it. But never love.

In Inner London, university cities, centres of government like Cardiff and Edinburgh, parts of the Stockbroker Belt, there are people who love the EU. And, Scottish, Welsh, and Irish Nationalist take the view that my enemy's enemy is my friend.

Agreed with all of that, except if there are any EU-loving parts of the stockbroker belt where people love the EU they must be very small. There weren't many Remain posters in places like Cobham.

Do any stockbrokers live in Cobham? Do stockbrokers in the old sense really exist anymore?
    Cobham is exclusively F1 drivers and stockbrokers.

Stockbrokers still exist in the old sense although they may call themselves private bankers nowadays.
    There are a couple of vampire squid "wealth manager" mega companies who have pretty much hoovered up all the old small independent stockbrokers.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,682

The German press are reporting that Germany will place a €1.5bn order for transport planes from the US. Money talks...

If it was the UK we'd have had wall to wall "May sucking up to Trump" posts.

But it's Merkel - so silence.

Curious.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

Dromedary said:

Yes, Labour looks in a very bad state and at present they seem unelectable. But if we can imagine putting the Tories, as they are now, into opposition, and leaving everything else equal (bear with me!), then exactly the same could be said about them! Does anyone disagree?

The Tories are deeply divided, putting on a show of unity, a lot of their voters and members and some of their leaders have a lot of respect for another party, and their leader seems to be sailing by the seat of her pants, spouting slogans such as "Red White and Blue Brexit" and "Britain and the US Will Lead the World Again" - in the absence of any clear policy on who on earth they want this country to throw in its lot with.

The Tories' strength is that however much they hate each other they are united by class hatred, which is a large part of what their class identity rests on, and even when they are knifing each other in the back, which they so dearly enjoy, they retain a degree of unity that the leadership of the Labour party doesn't.

I mean who does the Labour party represent? You could say the working class, but they don't seem to be doing a very good job of it, do they? Social workers? Maybe all the administrators in the country who didn't go to private school and who would feel bad about poison-gassing the council estates.

You really don't understand Conservatism, do you.
    Indeed, as a fairly working class Tory member I've never experienced what he describes the party as. In fact I've been asked to run as a councillor many times, I'm guessing either despite my modest background or maybe because of it.

What I find is that the Tories like people who grab opportunities and loathe people who blame others for their own failures.
    Yup.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

At least he didn't make her wear a burka....
    At least in Britain, conservative Muslim women who want to wear niqabs or burqas will continue to be free to do so.

Unlike in Germany, where the lovely Mrs Merkel wants them banned by law.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

Dromedary said:

Yes, Labour looks in a very bad state and at present they seem unelectable. But if we can imagine putting the Tories, as they are now, into opposition, and leaving everything else equal (bear with me!), then exactly the same could be said about them! Does anyone disagree?

The Tories are deeply divided, putting on a show of unity, a lot of their voters and members and some of their leaders have a lot of respect for another party, and their leader seems to be sailing by the seat of her pants, spouting slogans such as "Red White and Blue Brexit" and "Britain and the US Will Lead the World Again" - in the absence of any clear policy on who on earth they want this country to throw in its lot with.

The Tories' strength is that however much they hate each other they are united by class hatred, which is a large part of what their class identity rests on, and even when they are knifing each other in the back, which they so dearly enjoy, they retain a degree of unity that the leadership of the Labour party doesn't.

I mean who does the Labour party represent? You could say the working class, but they don't seem to be doing a very good job of it, do they? Social workers? Maybe all the administrators in the country who didn't go to private school and who would feel bad about poison-gassing the council estates.

Indeed, as a fairly working class Tory member I've never experienced what he describes the party as. In fact I've been asked to run as a councillor many times, I'm guessing either despite my modest background or maybe because of it.

What I find is that the Tories like people who grab opportunities and loathe people who blame others for their own failures.
    Agreed - though not sure loathe is the right word. Have little time for, perhaps...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

Sean_F said:

I don't know anyone, outside of here who loves the EU. I know people who don't think it's a bad idea, or that, on balance, we're probably better off in it. But never love.

In Inner London, university cities, centres of government like Cardiff and Edinburgh, parts of the Stockbroker Belt, there are people who love the EU. And, Scottish, Welsh, and Irish Nationalist take the view that my enemy's enemy is my friend.

Agreed with all of that, except if there are any EU-loving parts of the stockbroker belt where people love the EU they must be very small. There weren't many Remain posters in places like Cobham.

Do any stockbrokers live in Cobham? Do stockbrokers in the old sense really exist anymore?
    Surrey was pretty evenly divided. Ditto Hertfordshire. St. Alban's and North Herts voted Remain. WRT Hertsmere, I imagine Radlett, Bushey Heath, Elstree voted heavily Remain, Bushey North, Potters Bar, Borehamwood heavily Leave.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,682

At least in Britain, conservative Muslim women who want to wear niqabs or burqas will continue to be free to do so.

Aren't they already banned in France?
  • Options

Dromedary said:

Paragraph ends with a question to which the answer is no, and then it really goes down the rabbit hole.

Last line, can we frame that one for posterity?
    If it does come to gassing the proles (and I have an open mind on this one) can the tories co-opt Emily Thornberry as Chief WWCfinder General?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

Dromedary said:

Agreed - though not sure loathe is the right word. Have little time for, perhaps...
    Yes, that's probably better for the party in general, but loathe is right for my personal view. As someone who grew up on an estate and is considered to be a minority, working hard was the only way to be successful. Those who did so escaped the nightmare of the estate, those who didn't blamed society for their problems. The former invariable vote Tory, the latter vote Labour.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Dromedary said:

I occasionally encountered people in the Conservative Party who made loathsome comments about the lower classes, but it was rare.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

Sean_F said:

Surrey was pretty evenly divided. Ditto Hertfordshire. St. Alban's and North Herts voted Remain. WRT Hertsmere, I imagine Radlett, Bushey Heath, Elstree voted heavily Remain, Bushey North, Potters Bar, Borehamwood heavily Leave.
    I guess my point is that in the old days, City workers lived in places like Cobham and commuted in every day.

That doesn't happen so much any more. If you work for any of the big City firms, then in all likelihood you're at your desk by 7am. If you're at somewhere like Goldman Sachs, it'll be more like 6am.

That doesn't mean that there aren't lots of people that commute into London every day from these places, just that the finance types (who are now deeply stressed 32 year olds who vaguely remember what their girlfriends look like), are now more likely to be coming in from Wandsworth or anywhere where you can get an Uber at 6:22am, and be at work in 20 minutes.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2017
    PlatoSaid said:

Dromedary said:

What are you smoking?
    Oops. I've now recovered from my opium dream about Britain being dominated by considerations of class. Here is the corrected version.
    The Tories are tightly united, only putting on a show of division as a joke. None of their voters, members or supporters have any respect for UKIP. Their leader has great competence and vision, as illustrated by the profound principles to which she has declared her allegiance: "Union Jack Brexit" and "Britain and the US Will Show Those Foreign Mofos Where It's At, Just Like We Did in er..." The party also benefits from a very clear foreign and trading policy.

The Tories' weakness is that however much they love each other and never stab each other in the back, not even when choosing a parliamentary candidate or leader, they are divided by their attitude towards the working class. Most consider the "proles" to be the "salt of the Earth", "far finer in every way than the privately-educated types who consider themselves to be so entitled", in the words of a recent Carlton Club report. But a small yet so far ineradicable minority wishes to impose compulsory tuberculosis on single mothers and to kidnap any surviving prole-brats for use as domestic servants. What attitude true Tories should take towards those who eat peas off their knives and who shop in Aldi, Lidl and Primark - to love them or despise them? - is always a bone of great contention at any Tory gathering, especially in the stockbroker belt.
    Happy now?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    Scott_P said:
    Apparently the ban *may* include those with green cards and H1B visas.

Insanity.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

Dromedary said:

Yes, that's probably better for the party in general, but loathe is right for my personal view. As someone who grew up on an estate and is considered to be a minority, working hard was the only way to be successful. Those who did so escaped the nightmare of the estate, those who didn't blamed society for their problems. The former invariable vote Tory, the latter vote Labour.
    We should certainly praise people who rise out of poverty due to hard work, and condemn the work shy, but there is a category of people who really do endure rotten circumstances and rotten luck.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

rcs1000 said:

I know quite a few fervent believers in the European ideal. They're all people in their early to mid 20s who studied abroad at some point, and have more European friends than British ones.

Does the fact that the British in this demographic find the European ideal as attractive as any other Europeans in any way challenge your belief that there is something inherently incompatible about the UK in the EU? In other words do you think they are simply wrong about their own identity and suffering from some kind of delusion because of their personal experiences?
    I have a lot of sympathy with this demographic, and understand where they're coming from. I find it reprehensible that their views are being as comprehensively discarded as those from Stoke or Sunderland were before the referendum.

I remember saying to someone before the vote that I hoped we could find a solution that satisfied 70% of people, not 51% of people. I still hope we can.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

Sean_F said:

I guess my point is that in the old days, City workers lived in places like Cobham and commuted in every day.

That doesn't happen so much any more. If you work for any of the big City firms, then in all likelihood you're at your desk by 7am. If you're at somewhere like Goldman Sachs, it'll be more like 6am.

That doesn't mean that there aren't lots of people that commute into London every day from these places, just that the finance types (who are now deeply stressed 32 year olds who vaguely remember what their girlfriends look like), are now more likely to be coming in from Wandsworth or anywhere where you can get an Uber at 6:22am, and be at work in 20 minutes.
    Usually it was West Hampstead, St John's Wood and more recently Hornsey for those who were coming into Moorgate.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Insanity.

Anecdotally it already does. There are reports of green card holders being refused entry
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

The Labour party represents public sector workers.

Not sure there are many in Copeland (maybe Sellafield?) or Stoke?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Aren't they already banned in France?
    That's under a general law that bans face coverings (e.g. motorcycle helmets) in general.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

Sean_F said:

Who would want to live like that? The point of having money is to enjoy it. (I speak as someone who is comfortable, rather than rich).
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I know quite a few fervent believers in the European ideal. They're all people in their early to mid 20s who studied abroad at some point, and have more European friends than British ones.

Does the fact that the British in this demographic find the European ideal as attractive as any other Europeans in any way challenge your belief that there is something inherently incompatible about the UK in the EU? In other words do you think they are simply wrong about their own identity and suffering from some kind of delusion because of their personal experiences?
    I have a lot of sympathy with this demographic, and understand where they're coming from. I find it reprehensible that their views are being as comprehensively discarded as those from Stoke or Sunderland were before the referendum.

I remember saying to someone before the vote that I hoped we could find a solution that satisfied 70% of people, not 51% of people. I still hope we can.
    Wouldn't people that really believed in it that much be happy to go and live in an EU country when we leave?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

Dromedary said:

This may come across as personal... But I don't mean it in that way.

At what point do you stop (or start) being working class?

From previous posts you work in finance/something similar as an expat in Switzerland and flew first class to Fiji on holiday?

In the US everyone thinks they are middle class. But in the UK i feel as though everyone wants to be working class/wants to say they came from a poor background.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I think we can satisfy 70%, but not the group you mention.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Cicero said:

Been a while since I have commented, though I do still lurk.

I see a failure of imagination here across the board as to how radical change could emerge in the UK.

To be honest I think the Cheerleaders for May have got it stunningly wrong. Trump is the most unpopular President in America since these things started to be recorded. In the UK he is more or less despised across the political spectrum. May's hurried and supplicatory visit looks awful. Meanwhile the unspoken assumption that the EU will simply collapse and go away is looking pretty unsupported by the facts too. So in three years time, with Trump checkmated by Congress and the EU past the worst, the Hard Brexit policy could well be going to look like a dogs breakfast for a friendless UK.

Keir Starmer is the only grown up on the Labour front bench at the moment, and even he is making significant mistakes... More important than whether Labour hold the by-election seats is what happens in the locals in May. The big news may not be a Labour rout but the return of the Lib Dems. Then the political momentum could turn strongly into a Remain/Return narrative.

People are pretty dismissive of Corbyn, but they do not love Mrs May either. So it seems to me that we could absolutely see the long heralded political realignment actually happen. Those who laughed at the surge for Nick Clegg in 2010 - especially when it didn't happen-may find that Farron goes on to higher things- the electorate are pretty volatile and increasingly pissed off- the Lib Dems are getting points even among soft leavers for sticking to their European guns, and if May's gamble on Trumpistan turns out to be a failure, then vast change could happen very quickly.

You do know his rating has jumped to 59% the same as Obama in the same poll after his election

Hmm ... 36% here: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/01/27/politics/trump-approval-rating-quinnipiac-poll/index.html
    It was published yesterday I think by the Washington Post and links were provided by several posters
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jan/25/president-trumps-approval-rating-rises-57-percent/
    WT is very different (and a lot less credible) than WaPo. It is owned by the Moonies and has a very right wing outlook.

Plus the poll is Rasmussen...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I have a lot less sympathy for my cosseted colleagues and peers than I do for someone who has seen their income stagnate or their jobs move to Eastern Europe. We've been living consequence free from EU membership for the last 10 years. In fact the huge migration has helped keep the cost of services down, my coffee from Pret every morning cost just £2.10, without mass migration that would not be possible.

As a class, bankers and financial workers are fairly mobile. Steelworkers from Scunthorpe or Port Talbot aren't.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Scott_P said:

Insanity.

Anecdotally it already does. There are reports of green card holders being refused entry
    Can that be legal?
    Can a president really overturn something like that so easily?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t …… please all the people all of the time” (Poet John Lydgate as made famous by Abraham Lincoln - and Bob Dylan).
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited January 2017
    Traitors.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/28/labour-mps-commons-motion-article-50-bill-heidi-alexander

I'm gonna go all SeanT overboard but I want them locked up before the vote.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

Dromedary said:

This may come across as personal... But I don't mean it in that way.

At what point do you stop (or start) being working class?

From previous posts you work in finance/something similar as an expat in Switzerland and flew first class to Fiji on holiday?

In the US everyone thinks they are middle class. But in the UK i feel as though everyone wants to be working class/wants to say they came from a poor background.
    I stopped being working class when I walked through the doors of my school for the first time, I think. At least that's when the idea of class seemed to not matter, if it ever did. The expectations from the school were the same for everyone, regardless of background or class. It's why I'm so annoyed with our education system and its low expectations culture.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I have a lot less sympathy for my cosseted colleagues and peers than I do for someone who has seen their income stagnate or their jobs move to Eastern Europe. We've been living consequence free from EU membership for the last 10 years. In fact the huge migration has helped keep the cost of services down, my coffee from Pret every morning cost just £2.10, without mass migration that would not be possible.

As a class, bankers and financial workers are fairly mobile. Steelworkers from Scunthorpe or Port Talbot aren't.
    It's not the workers who are/aren't mobile, it's the industries.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    edited January 2017
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I appreciate your position on the solution you're like to see us achieve for the UK but my question was about why you think the UK is different?

Hypothetically if there had been an in/out referendum in every EU member state last June and you could cast a vote everywhere, are there any other countries where you would have voted Leave (assuming you're voting in that country's interests)?
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

PlatoSaid said:

Dromedary said:

Oops. I've now recovered from my opium dream about Britain being dominated by considerations of class. Here is the corrected version.

"far finer in every way than the privately-educated types who consider themselves to be so entitled", in the words of a recent Carlton Club report. But a small yet so far ineradicable minority wishes to impose compulsory tuberculosis on single mothers and to kidnap any surviving prole-brats for use as domestic servants. What attitude true Tories should take towards those who eat peas off their knives and who shop in Aldi, Lidl and Primark - to love them or despise them? - is always a bone of great contention at any Tory gathering, especially in the stockbroker belt.
    Happy now?
    ;). I have impeccable, unimpeachable working class roots ( I shall spare you the full Four Yorkshireman thang). I *have* encountered echoes of that old Victorian split between the 'deserving' and 'undeserving' poor.

For those WC folk who have progressed, it's easy to do that reverse telescope thing and think that if *they* made it off the estate, then those that didn't are feckless, or lazy or whatever. My thought is 'There but for the grace of God etc'.

I had three breaks in my early life. Firstly, my parents were both autodidacts in their own way and we had books in the house. Secondly, I passed the 11-plus. Lastly, I stopped running with a very wild crowd in my mid-teens, before they started being 'proper' criminals.

Life on welfare is a shit life, by and large. Particularly if you're disabled, or sick (I've written before about my experience with PIP). We should do more to help people off welfare, without persecuting the sick - and we'll have to fund that by doing less for pensioners and middle-class families.

Now, please excuse me, it's time for my lunchtime baby.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

Sean_F said:

This is an exceptionally narrow definition of the City. Most people in financial services don't work for banks, and even there lots of roles don't require 80 hour working weeks.

Insurance in particular seems fairly immune to modernisation.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

Sean_F said:

Why on earth would a stockbroker put posters up in their windows? what an extraordinary way to assess level of belief.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

The Tories are tightly united, only putting on a show of division as a joke. None of their voters, members or supporters have any respect for UKIP. Their leader has great competence and vision, as illustrated by the profound principles to which she has declared her allegiance: "Union Jack Brexit" and "Britain and the US Will Show Those Foreign Mofos Where It's At, Just Like We Did in er..." The party also benefits from a very clear foreign and trading policy.

The Tories' weakness is that however much they love each other and never stab each other in the back, not even when choosing a parliamentary candidate or leader, they are divided by their attitude towards the working class. Most consider the "proles" to be the "salt of the Earth", "far finer in every way than the privately-educated types who consider themselves to be so entitled", in the words of a recent Carlton Club report. But a small yet so far ineradicable minority wishes to impose compulsory tuberculosis on single mothers and to kidnap any surviving prole-brats for use as domestic servants. What attitude true Tories should take towards those who eat peas off their knives and who shop in Aldi, Lidl and Primark - to love them or despise them? - is always a bone of great contention at any Tory gathering, especially in the stockbroker belt.

Happy now?

Very droll, but it wasn't a Tory whose party leader has to issue a reprimand for white van/st George's cross tweeting, and it wasn't the Tories who had to investigate themselves for institutional anti semitism. You think these things are true of the Tories purely because they sounded true when Ben Elton said then in the 80s..
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Dromedary said:

Paragraph ends with a question to which the answer is no, and then it really goes down the rabbit hole.

Last line, can we frame that one for posterity?
    If it does come to gassing the proles (and I have an open mind on this one) can the tories co-opt Emily Thornberry as Chief WWCfinder General?
    WVM finder is I think the appropriate term for her ladyship.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

Sean_F said:

Cobham is exclusively F1 drivers and stockbrokers.

Stockbrokers still exist in the old sense although they may call themselves private bankers nowadays.
    Private bankers still call them stockbrokers though ;)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

It's a sensible strategy to boost their support from 8%, but it's still a smaller pool than UKIP were fishing in.

I would have thought that there will be winners and losers from Brexit, and the LDs can appeal to those who ideologically love the EU (maybe 10% of the UK, but a higher proportion on this board), and those who feel they've lost out from exit (perhaps a further 10-20%).

There's another thing here about their strategy which is 'smart' (in that it will appeal to a subset of voters): anyone who loses their job in the next few years - irrespective of the real reason - will blame Brexit, because there will be a political party telling them that was the reason, and people love to be told it's not your fault.

There probably aren't more than about 50,000 people like that in the entire country.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    MaxPB said:

those who didn't blamed society for their problems.

I seem to remember a Tory leader once said something about that.

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Dromedary said:

Happy now?

Very droll, but it wasn't a Tory whose party leader has to issue a reprimand for white van/st George's cross tweeting, and it wasn't the Tories who had to investigate themselves for institutional anti semitism. You think these things are true of the Tories purely because they sounded true when Ben Elton said then in the 80s..
    All parties are broad churches. I met a bunch of lovely Labour folk during EUref, and there's a good chunk of the Tory chinless wonder set that I find incredibly irritating. We do tend to mischaracterise each other, because the extremes (like la Thornberry) are more memorable/repellent. I don't think every Labour voter is Billy Bragg.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Traitors.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/28/labour-mps-commons-motion-article-50-bill-heidi-alexander

I think 'traitors' is a leeeeeetle ott. however, it won't pass and in the meanwhile does further damage to the Labour brand so not all bad. :)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Liverpool are capitulating!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Insanity.

I think they are being turned back by the airlines not refused entry. Presumably tgerecis a liability if they fly someone in who is turned away so they are being hyper cautious until the rules are clear
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Wouldn't people that really believed in it that much be happy to go and live in an EU country when we leave?
    They lose the right to do so.
  • Options
    Ah brings back memories of Carswell campaigning alongside Nige

https://twitter.com/gareth_snell/status/825328894534369280
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    edited January 2017
    rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

Insanity.

Can that be legal?
    Thank goodness for Mother Theresa's restraining hand, if she hadn't dropped by who knows how far Trump would have gone. He might even have restricted entry conditions from Muslim countries in which he has business interests (and coincidentally with which HMG also appears to have substantial economic ties).
  • Options

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Then they'll have to get a visa.
  • Options
    isam said:

/twitter.com/gareth_snell/status/825328894534369280

You missed this one

https://twitter.com/gareth_snell/status/825298803074940928
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Scott_P said:
    The Blessed May replaces the Blessed Margaret?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    nunu said:

Traitors.

It's a very smart move. It keeps Labour's integrity with those who feel betrayed by the three line whip particularly as more join the rebellion but most important it's likely to hasten the departure of Corbyn which might make Labour a voice again.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Then they'll have to get a visa.
    They don't need one at present.

2 years before the deportations begin of Britons that fail the MaxPB test? (outsourced to Switzerland)
  • Options
    felix said:

nunu said:

Traitors.

I think 'traitors' is a leeeeeetle ott. however, it won't pass and in the meanwhile does further damage to the Labour brand so not all bad. :)
    If "traitors" is OTT, how about "the Enemies of Democracy"?
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

Insanity.

Can that be legal?
    Thank goodness for Mother Theresa's restraining hand, if she hadn't dropped by who knows how far Trump would have gone. He might even have restricted entry conditions from Muslim countries in which he has business interests (and coincidentally with which HMG also appears to have substantial economic ties).
    Now now, Andrea Leadsom knows to her cost you can't make cheap political capital about Theresa'a inability to be a mother....
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

It is the reserves. Even so...
  • Options

isam said:

You missed this one

twitter.com/gareth_snell/status/825298803074940928
    I'd love to see what he was tweeting around referendum time... shame he has deleted them all
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

Insanity.

Can that be legal?
    Now now, Andrea Leadsom knows to her cost you can't make cheap political capital about Theresa'a inability to be a mother....
    One would have to be hyper sensitive to think that a comparison to Mother Teresa was a reference to child rearing abilities.
    A snowflake in fact.
  • Options

felix said:

nunu said:

Traitors.

It's not a question of 'traitor', it's the sheer numbnuttery of insisting on something we can't have, and can't promise.

Ultimately, the PLP are fucking stupid, they have no intellectual hinterland, they just can't think things through any longer. There used to be*giants* in their ranks. How the mighty have fallen.
  • Options

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

No they don't.
  • Options

felix said:

nunu said:

Traitors.

Oh indeed - I voted remain but accept the result and wish to move on. i'm also a Tory and heartily applaud every piece of idiocy from the Labour party.
  • Options
    felix said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

No they don't.
    At the moment we have the freedom to move and live anywhere in the EU, after Brexit we lose that right.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    Roger said:

nunu said:

Traitors.

It's a very smart move. It keeps Labour's integrity with those who feel betrayed by the three line whip particularly as more join the rebellion but most important it's likely to hasten the departure of Corbyn which might make Labour a voice again.
    A majority of Labour seats voted Leave, if the Tories win Copeland and UKIP Stoke it will not be because Corbyn was not pro Remain enough
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Another possibility though is what happened to the Tories post February 1975 when they ditched Heath - paricularly as Labour is in opposition. Whilst there would be mutterings, the hard Left would remain a small group within the PLP, and little prospect of a soft Left leader being successfully challenged or undermined. There was a lot of background chatter re-Thatcher 'not being up to it' from 75 - 79 but that did her very little damage in the end - indeed it probably strengthened her when she proved them wrong.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

It's a sensible strategy to boost their support from 8%, but it's still a smaller pool than UKIP were fishing in.

I would have thought that there will be winners and losers from Brexit, and the LDs can appeal to those who ideologically love the EU (maybe 10% of the UK, but a higher proportion on this board), and those who feel they've lost out from exit (perhaps a further 10-20%).

There's another thing here about their strategy which is 'smart' (in that it will appeal to a subset of voters): anyone who loses their job in the next few years - irrespective of the real reason - will blame Brexit, because there will be a political party telling them that was the reason, and people love to be told it's not your fault.

There probably aren't more than about 50,000 people like that in the entire country.</blockquote

Not all are in their early 20's
  • Options
    John_M said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Dromedary said:

Happy now?

All parties are broad churches. I met a bunch of lovely Labour folk during EUref, and there's a good chunk of the Tory chinless wonder set that I find incredibly irritating. We do tend to mischaracterise each other, because the extremes (like la Thornberry) are more memorable/repellent. I don't think every Labour voter is Billy Bragg.
    Some of the Labour Leave people were great.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    Roger said:

nunu said:

Traitors.

You might even find a female leader, provided of course one can be found that doesn't act like a 'bitch in heat' as you so delightfully put it.
  • Options

felix said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

No they don't.
    At the moment we have the freedom to move and live anywhere in the EU, after Brexit we lose that right.
    Wrong. The deal remains [sic] to be done. Just because you choose to be a doommonger doesn't make it so and as a tactic it's not got a good record! How do you suppose anyone moved abroad to work before we joined the EU?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

those who didn't blamed society for their problems.

I seem to remember a Tory leader once said something about that.

"There is no such thing as society. There is living tapestry of men and women and people and the beauty of that tapestry and the quality of our lives will depend upon how much each of us is prepared to take responsibility for ourselves and each of us prepared to turn round and help by our own efforts those who are unfortunate."
    - M. H. Thatcher, interview in Women's Own, 1987
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

No they don't.
    Wrong. The deal remains [sic] to be done. Just because you choose to be a doommonger doesn't make it so and as a tactic it's not got a good record! How do you suppose anyone moved abroad to work before we joined the EU?
    Marie Curie didn't need the EU or ERASMUS to move from Poland to France :)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

tlg86 said:

It really shouldn't have been the reserves today, very poor from Klopp.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

John_M said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Dromedary said:

Happy now?

Some of the Labour Leave people were great.
    Since they gave your then party money, I can see why you'd think that.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

nunu said:

Traitors.

A majority of Labour seats voted Leave, if the Tories win Copeland and UKIP Stoke it will not be because Corbyn was not pro Remain enough
    If Labour win in Stoke and Copeland, then does it mean Corbyn's Brexit is vindicated?

Or more likely that other issues, such as hospital closures in Copeland matter more to voters?

Or just that local parties picking repected local councillors as candidates is a sign that the party is not as dominated by metropolitan snowflakes as PB Torys opine?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    felix said:

felix said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

No they don't.
    I've been an ex-pat twice (sorry, immigrant), my late wife beat me with three, and my little sister bettered both of us with four stints abroad, none of which were with EU countries. But how on earth did you accomplish this wonder without Freedom of Movement, I hear you cry. Let me tell you, my dear online friends: Magic. It was entirely down to our command of sorcery.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

nunu said:

Traitors.

If Labour win in Stoke and Copeland, then does it mean Corbyn's Brexit is vindicated?

Or more likely that other issues, such as hospital closures in Copeland matter more to voters?

Or just that local parties picking repected local councillors as candidates is a sign that the party is not as dominated by metropolitan snowflakes as PB Torys opine?
    If Labour hold both it will be on non Brexit issues, if the Tories and UKIP win the seats it will largely be because of Brexit
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002
    johnzims said:

@CD13

Mr Submarine,

"Now she holds the hand that grabbed the pussy."

It will have smelled of mints, KFC and Balkan secretions.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

felix said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

No they don't.
    We lose the automatic right to do so, and I'm content with that. I would never deny other nations the right to impose immigration controls, in accordance with their own interests.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited January 2017
    New thread >>>
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

tlg86 said:

So Sturridge can't even get into the reserves?
  • Options

isam said:

You missed this one

https://twitter.com/gareth_snell/status/825298803074940928

Ah yes. The Red Berets.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

felix said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

No they don't.
    We lose the automatic right to do so, and I'm content with that. I would never deny other nations the right to impose immigration controls, in accordance with their own interests.
    But why would the EU countries put restrictions on immigration of British citizens ?

We've been told endlessly that immigration is good for countries so EU countries would be damaging themselves in imposing restrictions.

Unless that is uncontrolled immigration isn't the boon that we've been told ...
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Mr. L, I agree, but let us not forget the PLP put him on the short list.

And Harriet Harman made sure that he won!
This discussion has been closed.